PDA

View Full Version : Official OTA/Minicamp Thread

Joemailman
05-03-2023, 03:38 PM
Rookie minicamp - May 5-6

OTA's - May 22, 23, 25/May 30-31/ June 5, 6, 8.

Mandatory minicamp - June 13-15

Will be interested to see what OTA's attendance is like. My recollection is more guys than usual followed Rodgers' lead last year and took it off.

Bretsky
05-03-2023, 11:34 PM
Rookie minicamp - May 5-6

OTA's - May 22, 23, 25/May 30-31/ June 5, 6, 8.

Mandatory minicamp - June 13-15

Will be interested to see what OTA's attendance is like. My recollection is more guys than usual followed Rodgers' lead last year and took it off.

Rodgers was such a shitbag as a leader last year. And this year he's being for the Jets what GB hoped for after the stupid contract extension.

His comments on how he realizes with the new/young players he need to be here was an intentional backhanded slam toward GB last year when he needed to be here for the young players

It's kind of like Rodgers broke up with a average Girlfriend that he made little effort with and now he's flaunting the new hot chick through the social media with a bit of the intention to stick is to her oldie.

sharpe1027
05-04-2023, 12:12 AM
Rodgers was such a shitbag as a leader last year. And this year he's being for the Jets what GB hoped for after the stupid contract extension.

His comments on how he realizes with the new/young players he need to be here was an intentional backhanded slam toward GB last year when he needed to be here for the young players

It's kind of like Rodgers broke up with a average Girlfriend that he made little effort with and now he's flaunting the new hot chick through the social media with a bit of the intention to stick is to her oldie.
Except his former girlfriend is actually way better than his new girlfriend. He's just deluding himself into thinking otherwise.

NewsBruin
05-04-2023, 01:24 PM
Meh

bobblehead
05-04-2023, 01:32 PM
Except his former girlfriend is actually way better than his new girlfriend. He's just deluding himself into thinking otherwise.

Strange is always better than familiar

bobblehead
05-04-2023, 01:35 PM
Yes, Rodgers needed to be here last year through camp, but I'm glad Love got extra reps with the 1s. Rodgers is truly channeling favre who came in with arm fatigue every year because he was lazy all offseason, but then reported to jets camp in prime shape after "retiring" all off season. Rodgers is renewed. He needed it. We weren't winning with him at the state he was in, so this is best all around.

As for camp, I hope those TEs are fast learners because I'm excited about the design of our offense for the first time since fat mikes initial few years.

call_me_ishmael
05-04-2023, 11:41 PM

100%. He is on his game too. Weirdo Rodgers was gone and replaced with clean cut Rodgers. Has he ever looked so put together here as he did in the polo with parter hair in the presser? He is doing a fantastic PR job and definitely rubbing it in the Packers face.

bobblehead
05-05-2023, 02:13 AM
100%. He is on his game too. Weirdo Rodgers was gone and replaced with clean cut Rodgers. Has he ever looked so put together here as he did in the polo with parter hair in the presser? He is doing a fantastic PR job and definitely rubbing it in the Packers face.

Favre rubbed it in our face too. Then he lost in the NFCC (again) and we won an Owl.

RashanGary
05-05-2023, 07:38 AM

That’s what I see too. He was too comfortable here with his weirdo act. Now he’s doing everything he can to get in the good graces of the New Yorkers. Like you said, he’s on some sort of celebrity PR tour. The energy he’s putting in to look good over there tells me he’s grinding to be in shape too. He’s gonna have a good year. Wouldn’t shock me if they won the Owl.

Joemailman
05-05-2023, 05:12 PM
Packers offered tryouts to 14 players. They have 2 open roster spots.

Ellis Merriweather, RB, Massachusetts
Jamyest Williams, RB, Georgia State
Isaac Moore, T, Temple
Jack Plumb, T, Iowa
Matt Carrick, G, Michigan State
LaQuinston Sharp, C, Mississippi State
Amir Siddiq, OLB, Charlotte
Justin Ademilola, OLB, Notre Dame
Antonio Moultrie, OLB, Miami
Jacquez Jones, ILB, Kentucky
William Hooper, CB, Northwestern State
Javon Scruggs, SAF, Liberty
Mason Hunt, P, Southern Mississippi
Broughton Hatcher, LS, Old Dominion

sharpe1027
05-06-2023, 12:23 AM
That’s what I see too. He was too comfortable here with his weirdo act. Now he’s doing everything he can to get in the good graces of the New Yorkers. Like you said, he’s on some sort of celebrity PR tour. The energy he’s putting in to look good over there tells me he’s grinding to be in shape too. He’s gonna have a good year. Wouldn’t shock me if they won the Owl.

Jets winning it all isn't a surprise? I want what you're smoking please. They were last in their division at 7-10 last year. It wasn't just bad QB play. I can see them making the playoffs and then anything can happen, but would be surprised if they won it all.

I think it's more likely the Packers have a better record than Jets than the Jets win it all

smuggler
05-07-2023, 12:29 PM
I would be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs, especially if Rodgers is healthy.

Even if Rodgers has a nice year, the odds of them winning it all are damn slim. They are with any given team any given year. It's the nature of the game.

run pMc
05-07-2023, 01:06 PM
I would be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs, especially if Rodgers is healthy.

Even if Rodgers has a nice year, the odds of them winning it all are damn slim. They are with any given team any given year. It's the nature of the game.

Not only that, but the AFC is stacked compared to the NFC, and Rodgers couldn't get the team out of the NFC.
Rodgers has Garrett Wilson, Allan Lazard, Corey Davis, Mecole Hardman, Randall Cobb and Breece Hall (coming off an ACL)
Rodgers had Watson, Lazard, Doubs, Cobb and Jones/Dillon and a better OL and couldn't get into the playoffs.

How much better is his offense supporting cast? How far can a going-on 40y/o QB take a team in the same division as Josh Allen, Belichick, and the Dolphins?
I think they will be better than 7-10, but the odds still are probably pretty long that Rodgers goes full supernova MVP and they win the Superb Owl.

texaspackerbacker
05-07-2023, 02:58 PM
You're ignoring the fact that injured Rodgers of 2022 wasn't near the same as healthy MVP Rodgers of the previous two years and pretty much all of his healthy career. You're also failing to consider that Watson and Doubs as well as Lazard, were hurt for big chunks of last season. If Rodgers is healthy, it's safe to assume the Jets will be near the top.

Wouldn't it be something if Love performs likesome think he can, and the Packers went all the way and met Rodgers and the Jets in the Super Bowl. Those conspiracy types who think it's all fixed would be salivating over that hahahaha. Personally, I don't think Love is that good, but I hope he is, and if so, the Packers have all the tools to win it all, maybe even in spite of Joe Barry.

MadScientist
05-08-2023, 10:27 AM
Back to the original thread:
There have been fewer actual reports from rookie camp than prior camps. According to one podcast, the access has been restricted so that media was only there for some generic sessions, no 1 on 1, 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 reports are available. Vague impressions suggest that the early draft picks at least look the part, and Cox looks like someone who should have been a draft pick if he could have stayed out of trouble. Hopefully there will be some more useful reports from the OTA's.

Joemailman
05-08-2023, 10:37 AM
I think for a while now access to rookie minicamp has been limited. They want it to be a low-pressure environment. OTA's should be better. And last year at least 1 minicamp practice was open to the public.

run pMc
05-08-2023, 11:58 AM
Yeah, it's rookies. Once all the vets come in and things get more open there will be more info. Honestly, until the pads go on in training camp it's all just running around in helmets and shorts.
Josh Jones and Oren Burks looked like superstars in shorts.

That said, there's always excitement and impatience from fans (myself included) to hear about how the rookies look.

MadScientist
05-08-2023, 09:39 PM
Yes. Sometimes OTA reports accurately give insights, like how Shields was making plays every day, but just as often they there are players who only look good without pads.

Still, we are coming to that happy time of year, where all the rookies are looking strong, fast, and are really learning the plays. Where all the vets are in the best shape of their careers, and all the injured are recovering ahead of schedule. Enjoy it, it ends when the season begins.

Fritz
05-09-2023, 07:40 AM
You mean it ends when training camp begins. That's when the off-season injury guys, who were rehabbing so far ahead of schedule, are suddenly put on the PUP list with no explanation, and the rookies who looked so good have pulled groins or hamstrings and can't open training camp, and the last-ditch veteran free agents you were hoping the Packers would sign end up signing elsewhere for minimum wage deals, and The Flower really digs into the meaningless coach cliches every day. The highlight is watching the players ride the kids' bikes, and the expressions on the kids' (and players') faces.

Joemailman
05-15-2023, 08:09 PM
"Hey Luke! All we gotta do is beat out DeGuara and Tyler Davis!

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1658250668367310849/PmBeyXbi?format=jpg&name=small

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2023, 11:49 PM
"Hey Luke! All we gotta do is beat out DeGuara and Tyler Davis!

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1658250668367310849/PmBeyXbi?format=jpg&name=small

85: “When’s the last time an NFL team fielded an ALL-WHITE tight end corps?”

88: “Dunno. 1963, I guess. DeGuara is Italian, so if he makes the team, I guess he counts as ‘colored’.”

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2023, 11:52 PM
To paraphrase Master P:

I used to hang with J-Mike. Used to bang with J-Mike. Even slang with J-Mike. Goddamn, I miss J-Mike.

Joemailman
05-23-2023, 12:59 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman
Packers veterans who I don’t spot at the first open practice of voluntary OTAs:

Dallin Leavitt
Jaire Alexander
Rasul Douglas
Jonathan Garvin
David Bakhtiari
Elgton Jenkins
Preston Smith

Eric Stokes and Rashan Gary are here but not going through drills.

run pMc
05-23-2023, 08:21 PM
Who cares about Jordan Love and the OL, give us all the news about the long snapper battle and Jakadis Bonds.

Fritz
05-24-2023, 08:12 AM
Saw an article about Samari Toure's rebuilt body and newfound steely reserve, but the most interesting part was just a note at the end that last season his teammates called him "Captain Casual."

Ouch.

Joemailman
05-24-2023, 09:09 AM
In total, it was a hot-and-cold day for Love. Rather, it was a cold-and-hot day. He went 1-of-4 on his first series of plays, then 2-of-5 in a third-down drill in the red zone that failed to gain a first down or find the end zone.

He fell to 3-of-12 following a 0-for-3 series that included drops by Aaron Jones and Dillon.

Love got going late in practice, though. During a second red zone period, Love connected with Christian Watson for a touchdown against Keisean Nixon – Watson went to the flat before turning his route inside and made the catch in the back of the end zone – as well as scores to Romeo Doubs and Samori Toure.

bobblehead
05-24-2023, 09:17 AM
Saw an article about Samari Toure's rebuilt body and newfound steely reserve, but the most interesting part was just a note at the end that last season his teammates called him "Captain Casual."

Ouch.

Being named captain in your rookie year is a big deal!!

SudsMcBucky
05-24-2023, 10:47 AM
Being named captain in your rookie year is a big deal!!

:rs:

run pMc
05-24-2023, 01:46 PM

Ouch.

Rodgers gave him that name last year, but also commented that by end of year Toure had picked up his intensity.

Joemailman
05-31-2023, 01:54 PM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

It’s OTAs. There’s no pads. It means next to nothing. We all remember DJ Williams…

But Luke Musgrave looks fantastic today. Quick, soft hands, body control, over the shoulder catch deep down the field. He’s been as advertised.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Packers starters in team

Love
Jones
Reed - Doubs - Watson
Deguara
C. jones - Elgton - Myers - JRJ - Tom

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Defense

Wooden - Slaton - Clark

Hollins - Quay - Campbell - Smith

Ballentine - SJC

Savage - Ford

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Nice quick hit pass from Love to Doubs off the quick play action fake in gun. Rodgers ran that play so well - Love stepping right in where 12 left off.

Next throw Love is wide to Dillon in the flat off PA.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Lukas Van Ness with a gorgeous rush on Yosh Nijman. Legit teach tape stuff. Played the run off play action, ripped through the tackle, exploded to the QB. Fun stuff.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Love fires into double coverage deep down the field to Doubs. Ball hangs a bit and Savage comes down with the fairly easy pick.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Devonte Wyatt is here but not practicing. Great to see Quay practicing after dropping out last week. With Wyatt out, Colby Wooden getting legit looks with the 1s on defense. Huge opportunity for him.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Corey Ballentine should have had a pick 6 of Love in coverage vs Reed but the ball bounces off his hands. Not an ideal play as a Packer fan all the way around.

Next play is a false start by Caleb Jones.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Love with a gorgeous pass over the middle to Musgrave in stride on the next play with Moore in coverage. Musgrave can make a real difference in the mof.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Love finding some rhythm. Back to back completions to Toure and Reed on what looked like slant routes.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Love shows off his mobility, navigates the pocket, rolls to his left, throws a bit of a wobbler to Doubs who is wide open and catches it for a big gain down the left sideline.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Sean Clifford to Malik Heath for the play of the day so far. Beautiful ball from the rookie and Heath did well to catch it over his shoulder in stride.

Now Clifford to Watts on a slant. Slightly high but Watts made a great adjustment and still accelerated through the catch.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Packers connecting on the slants today. Love to Doubs in two minute drill. Now Deguara with a catch over the middle.

Love to Doubs on a nice out route. Perfect timing from 10. Stops the clock.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Love had Jayden Reed for a td in two minute on a deep corner route, but ball is overthrow. Love still working on timing with young WRs.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Love hits Doubs in stride over the middle. Drive continues.

Then Musgrave gets his second catch on the drive. Offense moving.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Heck of a fading away awkward arm angle throw from Love to Doubs for a completion. Looks like that’ll do it for practice today.

Tony Oday
05-31-2023, 02:06 PM
Love is sounding better as he gets reps in practice, I still think he is an XFL QB but I REALLY hope Im wrong.

MadScientist
05-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Sounds like they were working on slants and seam routs today. Rodgers was not big on slants, so that may be a good change with Love. Being able to attack the seam will be a good change.

run pMc
05-31-2023, 04:41 PM
Sounds like they were working on slants and seam routs today. Rodgers was not big on slants, so that may be a good change with Love. Being able to attack the seam will be a good change.

We saw what happens when Love hits Watson in stride on a slant route vs. Philly. GB has some young fast WRs and slants are generally quick throws so it's not a bad idea.
Apparently Musgrave looks good running routes in shorts. shocker. Still, he should be at least as good as Tonyan was last year, with the benefit of 4 years of contract under GB's control.

sharpe1027
06-01-2023, 06:36 PM
Rodgers threw less over the middle on average than most QBs. I expect that to change, which will likely be part of the reason we'll see more interceptions. Hopefully, it's countered by more sustained drives.

texaspackerbacker
06-02-2023, 01:31 AM
A rare acorn of truth from you, sharpe. I hope posting it doesn't mean you're happy about it. Myself, I hope, although don't necessarily expect that Love soaked up enough of Rodgers way of playing that he doesn't play down to that expectation - throwing picks over the middle, etc.

sharpe1027
06-02-2023, 06:56 AM
Tex, you imply that I lie. Disagreeing with you is not lying. More name calling is not improving your arguments..

Every QB has to throw over the middle, so it's a matter of degree. Rodgers had better numbers when he did throw over the middle, but still favored the outside more than most QBs. This suggests he was choosing the less optimal option.

run pMc
06-02-2023, 07:49 AM
More throws into the MOF, more pre-snap motion, 12 personnel where both are a receiving threat, running RPOs differently, less timeouts burned. Offense will be similar on surface but I think have a lot more wrinkles.
This will actually be a chance to find out how good of a coach MLF really is.

MadScientist
06-02-2023, 09:47 AM
More throws into the MOF, more pre-snap motion, 12 personnel where both are a receiving threat, running RPOs differently, less timeouts burned. Offense will be similar on surface but I think have a lot more wrinkles.
This will actually be a chance to find out how good of a coach MLF really is.

I actually think the offense will look a lot different on the surface. Rodgers didn't like a lot of pre snap movement, instead relying on his experience to call audibles. I expect a lot more motion and different formations to disguise a more basic set of plays.

texaspackerbacker
06-02-2023, 02:44 PM
Tex, you imply that I lie. Disagreeing with you is not lying. More name calling is not improving your arguments..

Every QB has to throw over the middle, so it's a matter of degree. Rodgers had better numbers when he did throw over the middle, but still favored the outside more than most QBs. This suggests he was choosing the less optimal option.

No, I don't think you lie so much as you are just bonehead stupid. As I said, you got it right in this rare case. It wasn't really clear, though, whether you were FOR or AGAINST throwing over the middle more and getting more interceptions.

Mad Scientist and whoever: it's too early to say for sure, but I think there will be a lot of the same things Rodgers did with Love, even the read and react change at the line stuff. Assuming he's smart, which it seems like they think he is, I'm pretty sure they will encourage that because it's smart football.

Sparkey
06-02-2023, 04:00 PM

Ouch.
https://legendary-digital-network-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/12222242/The-Dude-The-Big-Lebowski-Sideshow-4.jpg

Unaction Figure!

sharpe1027
06-02-2023, 04:56 PM
No, I don't think you lie so much as you are just bonehead stupid. As I said, you got it right in this rare case. It wasn't really clear, though, whether you were FOR or AGAINST throwing over the middle more and getting more interceptions.

Mad Scientist and whoever: it's too early to say for sure, but I think there will be a lot of the same things Rodgers did with Love, even the read and react change at the line stuff. Assuming he's smart, which it seems like they think he is, I'm pretty sure they will encourage that because it's smart football.

I'm for whatever gets the best results. There's no sane person that thinks you can completely ignore the middle of the field. They question is when and how you do so

Rodgers threw the ball in the middle of the field and had corresponding interceptions.He must agree with me

texaspackerbacker
06-02-2023, 09:04 PM
You're saying Rodgers "completely ignored" the middle of the field? Sheeesh. He was just smart about not throwing into traffic, and HOPEFULLY Love will have learned to have that smartness too. Then it somes down to accuracy. HOPEFULLY (but not probably) Love has accuracy close to Rodgers'.

sharpe1027
06-02-2023, 09:38 PM
You're saying Rodgers "completely ignored" the middle of the field? Sheeesh. He was just smart about not throwing into traffic, and HOPEFULLY Love will have learned to have that smartness too. Then it somes down to accuracy. HOPEFULLY (but not probably) Love has accuracy close to Rodgers'.

No. I said he used the middle of the field. Reading comprehension fail

run pMc
06-03-2023, 07:29 PM
JFC he used the MOF, just not as much as most QBs.
Ever use the internet to actually fact check, or are you too lazy to do anything except make false statements and then dig your heels on them after they're disproved?

Even if you don't like PFF or SIS, NFL Next Gen Stats is fairly easy and most of it is free, for crying out loud. Check this out:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/aaron-rodgers/ROD339293/season

You can look at the passing charts and see that he mostly threw outside the numbers. Even though he wasn't bad at throwing into MOF, he chose not to. Weird considering those are usually easier throws and where you're going to have mesh concepts, slants, crossers, etc.
You can pull up another QB and compare their charts. Most use the MOF more.

Interestingly, some people consider the DAL game their best game last year, and yet Rodgers only threw 20 passes.

Joemailman
06-03-2023, 08:07 PM
JFC he used the MOF, just not as much as most QBs.
Ever use the internet to actually fact check, or are you too lazy to do anything except make false statements and then dig your heels on them after they're disproved?

Even if you don't like PFF or SIS, NFL Next Gen Stats is fairly easy and most of it is free, for crying out loud. Check this out:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/aaron-rodgers/ROD339293/season

You can look at the passing charts and see that he mostly threw outside the numbers. Even though he wasn't bad at throwing into MOF, he chose not to. Weird considering those are usually easier throws and where you're going to have mesh concepts, slants, crossers, etc.
You can pull up another QB and compare their charts. Most use the MOF more.

Interestingly, some people consider the DAL game their best game last year, and yet Rodgers only threw 20 passes.

He sure went out with a bang.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/pass-chart_ROD339293_2022-REG-18_1673288778687.jpeg

smuggler
06-05-2023, 03:23 AM
Watch Love against the Chiefs. They were basically daring the offense to throw over the middle and we refused. It's part of the game plan, it's not necessarily a flaw of Rodgers personally. We'll see this season, though, assuming the offense maintains the status quo.

sharpe1027
06-05-2023, 06:55 AM
Watch Love against the Chiefs. They were basically daring the offense to throw over the middle and we refused. It's part of the game plan, it's not necessarily a flaw of Rodgers personally. We'll see this season, though, assuming the offense maintains the status quo.

They might game plan that way. On the other hand, it seems like Rodgers has been doing this most of his career, predating MLF, but I haven't seen any stats to back that up.

It will be interesting to see.

run pMc
06-05-2023, 11:14 AM
Rodgers used to throw into the middle more; I wonder if part of it is personnel. They really haven't had a good-to-great slot receiver in a while. I don't know that it's schematic necessarily - Shanahan offense does a fair amount of easy throws designed to have players get YAC. I suspect there's a personal preference thing as well with Rodgers as well as habits (good or bad) over time. Watch older games and he was throwing stuff to Jennings, Driver, and Finley in the MOF much more often. They haven't really had guys like that, but I also think Rodgers got overprotective of his TD-to-Int legacy and decided he'd rather throw a YOLO ball to Adams up the sideline than take what should be an easy throw into the MOF if you read the coverage and avoid any lurking LB or S. I can't help but think there's an element of bad habits/ego with it.

bobblehead
06-05-2023, 12:20 PM

I don't think you can draw big conclusions from a first time starter on a few days notice being blitzed every down. Love was much better in the 2nd half of that game when he calmed down and had a halftime to look at tape and see where to go with the ball vs the blitz.

Rodgers has never used the middle of the field much. I watched Tonyan catching preseason passes behind the LB in front of the S with Boyle throwing the ball. Then when the season started I never saw those completions again. I have a very strong hunch we will see it this year and fans of Rodgers will claim its because we never had a TE like Musgrave.

MadScientist
06-05-2023, 06:08 PM
Rodgers avoids risky throws like the plague, especially down the middle. But in fairness, the Packers had garbage TEs for te last decade. Throwing late over the middle us a bad thing, and those plodders and has-beens couldn't get open early to save their lives.

sharpe1027
06-05-2023, 06:14 PM
Rodgers avoids risky throws like the plague, especially down the middle. But in fairness, the Packers had garbage TEs for te last decade. Throwing late over the middle us a bad thing, and those plodders and has-beens couldn't get open early to save their lives.

No disagreement on that, but TEs aren't the only option over the middle and Rodgers did really well when he did go over the middle, so it seems like he might have had potential to be even better than he was by being a little more balanced.

MadScientist
06-06-2023, 02:17 AM
No disagreement on that, but TEs aren't the only option over the middle and Rodgers did really well when he did go over the middle, so it seems like he might have had potential to be even better than he was by being a little more balanced.

TE's are the most well positioned to get to the soft middle of zone defenses. It will be interesting to see how the Packers attack it this year and next. Will they risk more throws over the middle with the rookie TEs who will be lacking in experience in one of the more challenging positions to learn this year? Or will the Packers bring them in slow and prep them more for a breakout next year. If the Packers can't shred zones down the middle next year, a lot of people need to be shown the door.

sharpe1027
06-06-2023, 06:43 AM
I think they will to try to use the TEs more. Whether they'll be successful is another story.

Sparkey
06-06-2023, 08:48 AM
Rodgers avoids risky throws like the plague, especially down the middle. But in fairness, the Packers had garbage TEs for te last decade. Throwing late over the middle is a bad thing, and those plodders and has-beens couldn't get open early to save their lives.

The highlighted part is the reason why you didn't see Rodgers use the middle more. He seemed to hold the ball longer, waiting for that big play, which then prevents him from using the middle of the field more because those routes are usually quick hitting plays where a LB gets lost handing off the defender in a zone or is not fast enough to cover a guy crossing the middle.

Rodgers wanting to go deep negated a lot of the OTM routes that would be run by TE's or RB's.

run pMc
06-06-2023, 08:50 AM
Per Pro Football Focus, between the 49ers, Dolphins, and Packers, on passes inside the numbers in the 0-9 yard range, 19% of all Packers pass attempts came in this range, with the 49ers at 26%, and the Dolphins at 15%. The Packers were lower than both in percent of total pass attempts over the middle of the field at the 10-19 yard range (Dolphins 20%, 49ers 11%, Packers 9%) and lower at the 20+ range than both the 49ers and Dolphins (Dolphins 5.6%, 49ers 3.7%, Packers 2.5%).

Even compared to other Shanahan tree coaches their MOF usage was low.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/6/5/23739201/green-bay-packers-film-room-four-season-defining-moments-on-offense-2-aaron-rodgers-jordan-love

bobblehead
06-06-2023, 03:55 PM

Just imagine if he had hit Watson with a crossing route vs. the Eagles early in the game.

ThunderDan
06-07-2023, 07:54 AM
I can't remember how many times during game day threads I posted that a WR ran a crossing route and was open in the middle of the field. I can't count the number of times I have been to a game and seen WR, TE and RB running wide open across the middle of the field for a 1st down and ARod throwing down the sideline.

And I am not talking about having half a step on the defender. I am talking 5 yards wide open after the LBs completed their drops and a guy runs open underneath. Tom Brady made a career on those throws.

MadScientist
06-07-2023, 10:42 AM
I can't remember how many times during game day threads I posted that a WR ran a crossing route and was open in the middle of the field. I can't count the number of times I have been to a game and seen WR, TE and RB running wide open across the middle of the field for a 1st down and ARod throwing down the sideline.

And I am not talking about having half a step on the defender. I am talking 5 yards wide open after the LBs completed their drops and a guy runs open underneath. Tom Brady made a career on those throws.

It looks like the Packers are working on this:
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/06/targeting-the-middle-of-field-will-be-key-for-jordan-love-in-2023/
Hopefully they will hit a bunch of those open middle passes this season.

run pMc
06-07-2023, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I can't count the number of times we posted in here about guys running open he didn't see or flat out ignored. If we can see it, you know he can too (either real time, on the tablet at sideline, or in game film review) and you'd think he'd change his game a bit.

The Packers Wire article also references this one which is interesting:
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/article/fact-or-fiction-aaron-rodgers-avoids-the-middle-of-the-field-207552129/

I found 67 QBs who have attempted at least 100 non-RPOs passes past the LOS since the start of 2019. Of those 67 QBs, Aaron Rodgers was 65th at targeting the middle of the field. To give you a sense of the difference, the king of targeting the middle of the field during that time is Jimmy Garoppolo, who targeted the middle of the field on 58.4% of his passes. So the difference between Aaron Rodgers and the #1 QB on this list is 23 percentage points. Put another way, Rodgers attempted ~14 fewer passes per game over the middle of the field than Jimmy Garoppolo.

Rodgers has performed better than the rest of the league when he targets the middle of the field, but he targets the field at a much lower clip than the rest of the league.

Joemailman
06-07-2023, 12:23 PM
I thought 2018-2019 might have been when Rodgers really started reducing his MOF throws. That was when he lost Randall Cobb, and maybe didn't trust the younger guys who replaced him. Obviously, the draft picks of Reed, Musgrave and Kraft point to the Packers wanting to attack the middle of the field. I wonder if they would have made those picks if Rodgers were still going to be here.

Joemailman
06-07-2023, 12:29 PM
Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

Considering Jordan Love was QB1 all of OTAs last year, and then at least half the 2022 in-season practices while Aaron Rodgers dealt with rib and hand injuries, he's probably had more reps with Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs than Rodgers at this point.

An interesting point.

Fritz
06-07-2023, 03:21 PM
I thought 2018-2019 might have been when Rodgers really started reducing his MOF throws. That was when he lost Randall Cobb, and maybe didn't trust the younger guys who replaced him. Obviously, the draft picks of Reed, Musgrave and Kraft point to the Packers wanting to attack the middle of the field. I wonder if they would have made those picks if Rodgers were still going to be here.

Guess that would depend on whether GM Aaron Rodgers would approve.

run pMc
06-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Musgrave is the TE version of Christian Watson. Big, fast, athletic, raw. Very boom or bust. Early reports are the size and athleticism are legit, helmets and shorts isn't real football.
Both he and Kraft should have a huge catch radius to catch a less accurate Love's throws and more upside than Lewis or Tonyan.

Jayden Reed and Toure likely fight for the slot role. If either pans out that will be huge. I'd think they'll give Reed every chance to win that job since he's a R2 pick. I think they were best when they had so many weapons on offense (Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Finley) that they couldn't all be covered. When it was just Adams and JAGS it stifled things. Getting back to adding more weapons is the way to go.

I think if Rodgers was still here there would have been more pressure to bring back at least some of the vets (Cobb, Lewis) so it's possible they would have drafted less receivers. (Lazard was probably gone, ya gotta get paid while you can.) They needed a big update at TE though. I think there would have been a lot of eye rolling and ignoring open players because ROOKIEZ CANT BE TRUSTED

Fritz
06-08-2023, 06:56 AM
Seems like every year this time you get reports of a rookie with some mysterious injury that keeps him out for a long time and puts him behind. This year's guy like that is the Kraft kid, the tight end. Will this be another third round bust??

run pMc
06-08-2023, 07:32 AM
Seems like every year this time you get reports of a rookie with some mysterious injury that keeps him out for a long time and puts him behind. This year's guy like that is the Kraft kid, the tight end. Will this be another third round bust??

IDK, Kraft was participating at the early OTAs. Wicks has missed some time too. Grant DuBose is the one who has sat out all of them so far.
I'm hoping these are just GB being very cautious with their players and not that they drafted a bunch of badly injured kids.
The draft prep process right after the CFB season might have some of them worn down?

ThunderDan
06-08-2023, 07:50 AM
IDK, Kraft was participating at the early OTAs. Wicks has missed some time too. Grant DuBose is the one who has sat out all of them so far.
I'm hoping these are just GB being very cautious with their players and not that they drafted a bunch of badly injured kids.
The draft prep process right after the CFB season might have some of them worn down?

I think that is probably true. The college kids literally transfer from football related workouts to drill specific workouts to improve their combine scores.

texaspackerbacker
06-08-2023, 02:08 PM
In all three cases - Kraft, Wicks, and Dubose, the Packers got them seemingly as bargains where they were drafted. It's possible the reason that happened is that there was something injury-wise causing them to drop. If they snap back, great, we got good players later than expected. If not, the Packers didn't have all that many weaknesses anyway. They could afford to take a couple chances.