PDA

View Full Version : WIDE UNFILTERED.....some interesting info during a boring offseason

Bretsky
07-02-2023, 05:48 PM
So as many of you know, about the most connected person media wise to the Green Bay Packers over the years has been Jason Wilde. He was very close to Devante Adams and Charles Woodson as well as Aaron Rodgers for four years when he did a radio show for him. Anyways, here are a lot of misc tidbits from an interesting Interview where Wilde was put on the spot and Tauscher ran the interview

In regards to old news, Wilde noted how many GB Packers believed they were going to finish their career here.

He documented how Charles Woodsen was really upset at how GB treated him. He really thought TT was going to come back to him and restructure and he would retire a Packers, and when TT cut him he was very very upset. Honestly that was all hid pretty well

Regarding Jordy Nelson, he talked for years about how he wanted to retire a Packer. Wilde keep in touch with both of those players, and said both of those situations were easily avoidable as Jordy would have been happy to take a fair pay cut and restructure.

Regarding Devonte Adams, before 2021 Devante completely intended to retire as a Packer. All of the pay at home crap was just that, crap. But in 2021 when Hopkins got that deal, and GB didn't come close to it.....Devante was really hurt at first, and then pissed. Wilde noted in 2021 Devante Adams chose to "NOT" go the TJ WATT ROUTE....faking an injury, til get got his extension, and then immediately being healthy once Pitt signed him at the end of the preseason

Gutebag lost Devante Adams; after all he gave to GB and then the offer they gave, he felt hurt and disrespcted. Gutey didn't take the steps to fix that relationship, and Devante was good as gone and leaving, simple as that. And as a last second punch in Adams nutsack, GB put it out there that they offered more, knowing they had ZERO change at signing himi. That move, lacked class.

When Rodgers points back to players who were mistreated by GB, Jordy and Woodson always come up. And Wilde went on to say GB kept Donald Driver one year longer than they really wanted to cause he killed in on Dancing with the Stars

Regarding our QB"s, back in 2008 many many players in GB were happy to see Brett Favre go because players thought he didn't give a crap about them anymore. He was disconnected from too many. Rodgers commented many many times he would never be like Favre. But he turned, and was, and some current players felt the same about Karen when he left.

Romeo Dobbs, really happy he has a new QB. He's made some telling comment that included "I learned a lot from Aaron Rodgers, without him ever talking to me". Wilde went to Rodgers with that comment and it was basically dismissed. Others felt the same, but rarely went on record.

Regarding Karen, Wilde considers him incredibly incredibly smart. Off the chart intelligent. But Wilde is disappointed with what AROD became. He had several good friends on GB and felt over the course of time Karen became more focused on always being right, and being smarter, than being a good friend. Aaron Jones, who was (and maybe still is) had his father pass away from COVID. Yet, Rodgers, continues to chat about his political views, and has made some comments that could have been considered inconsiderate given what happend to AJO's father

Regarding Gutebag, biggest mistake is either drafting Love and resiging Rodgers, or just drafting Love. He noted, it was just a bad idea to do both

And 1A of the screw ups, was not treating Devante Adams right and re signing him. Had we just did this, the odds are Rodgers would still be here and GB would have made a playoff run last year, and most likely the same this year.

I may add more,but I found all these to be interesting points, many of which have been discussed. But news has been boring lately...so posting anyways

beveaux1
07-02-2023, 07:54 PM
Interesting. Points out that the NFL is a business, even in Green Bay. The old adage that it’s better to let a player go a year early than a year late, is just as true here as elsewhere.

texaspackerbacker
07-02-2023, 11:50 PM
What's that old saying about you see somebody else jump off a bridge, are you gonna jump off too? The Hopkins contract was all world stupid. If it's true about Davante being upset that the Packers didn't do something similarly stupid, then there was something wrong with him. I prefer to think the media puke just made it all up, though.

MadScientist
07-03-2023, 01:54 AM
What's that old saying about you see somebody else jump off a bridge, are you gonna jump off too? The Hopkins contract was all world stupid. If it's true about Davante being upset that the Packers didn't do something similarly stupid, then there was something wrong with him.
Given that Adams put up 5 straight PB seasons, the last 2 being All-Pro, it's understandable he thought GB would give him a sizable contract. However with the Rodgers contract still on the books, giving a massive contract to a 30yo receiver was not going to happen. Good for him for getting paid while he still can, and good for the Packers for getting a good return for him.

sharpe1027
07-03-2023, 08:18 AM
I don't quite understand some of the logic. Take Adams, Green Bay was willing to pay him a lot, but he thought he was worth more and getting paid more was more important than staying with the Packers. That's how the free agency works. Getting emotional and feeling disrespected is understandable but this type of situation is unavoidable because you can't keep everyone. Pretty much every single year on every single team, someone is always going to get offered less than they think they deserve, or nothing.

Joemailman
07-03-2023, 08:39 AM
Very few guys who have long careers spend the whole career with the same team. DeAndre Hopkins, who had the contract Davante supposedly wanted, has been released by the Cardinals. Dalvin Cook has been released by the Vikings. The fact that the Packers were able to get 2 high picks for Davante instead of releasing him puts them ahead of most teams.

texaspackerbacker
07-03-2023, 10:04 AM
A lot of times, a solid winning team gets a bit of a discount from their stars to keep the core together - I'm thinking of the Bucks in the NBA recently where two stars got big fair contracts but probably less than some players not as good got with other teams. Davante (if this story is true at all) apparently was too damn (fill in the blank) to have that mindset. I agree, the Packers made the best of a bad situation and handled this pretty well.

MadScientist
07-03-2023, 07:26 PM
A lot of times, a solid winning team gets a bit of a discount from their stars to keep the core together - I'm thinking of the Bucks in the NBA recently where two stars got big fair contracts but probably less than some players not as good got with other teams. Davante (if this story is true at all) apparently was too damn (fill in the blank) to have that mindset. I agree, the Packers made the best of a bad situation and handled this pretty well.

Rare in the NFL these days for a player at the top to take a hometown discount, also Adams said being unsure how long Rodgers was going to be there was a factor. Money was the biggest factor, it always is. A big offer can even get god to tell a player to join a team.

NewsBruin
07-04-2023, 01:12 AM

Remember that time when Rodgers was all "These guys want me to retire and don't respect our legacy players, so since I'm single and set for three lifetimes, I'm going to play under my current terms so we can bring in the best players at fair-market value"?

Bretsky
07-04-2023, 01:24 AM
What's that old saying about you see somebody else jump off a bridge, are you gonna jump off too? The Hopkins contract was all world stupid. If it's true about Davante being upset that the Packers didn't do something similarly stupid, then there was something wrong with him. I prefer to think the media puke just made it all up, though.

Even you, the I hate all media members except Shitbag Karen, who self promotes him and his GD agenda more than any player in the NFL, would like Wilde Tex.

Wilde really is careful with his words and what he says. He normally run the show, stays politically correct and then goes on othe shows and answers Packer questions.

So the great idea was to let Tauscher grill Wilde for two hours with questions.

And when Tausch tried grilling more with the Devante situation Wilde shot back and said I'm not going to answer that because those were private discussions. He makes great effort to "not" be quoted on anything he's chatted about off the books, so to speak. He respects players privacy and is chatting with players all the time, OFF THE RECORD< and he doesn't share that.

He was very close with Adams and Woodson and Rodgers up to about 5 years ago when something changed. He's still on ok terms with Rodgers....just not like it was once with AROD visited his wife at the hospital.

I'll add this to the Hopkins deal and I'm neither bashing or defending Gutebag.

He got something "better" one year later.

As Wilde noted multiple times, losing Jordy, Woody, and Devante were all very preventable....but such is business.

Odds are, had we kept Adams, we'd have had more wins last year, good chance Shitbag would stay with us, and we'd be trading Jordan Love for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

How things can change.

And I do agree about the Bucks. Some of their players take a home town discounts. But many want to play with Giannis, who is considered an NBA superstar and a fabulous human being and leader......very different that what is in GB. And it's a smaller team so it's easier to have great chemistry....which the Bucks have had, and the Packers have not had.

I don't think prime time players give GB a discount.

Bretsky
07-04-2023, 01:28 AM
If anybody want to search it, you can download the app Wisconsin On Demmand and listed to multiple sports radio shows every day. I think what I referred to was the Wilde and Tauscher from 6/23

run pMc
07-04-2023, 09:12 AM
The Hopkins contract was all world stupid. So was Cousins' fully guaranteed contract. But you know what? Players and their agents might even agree it's stupid money, but they also see it as setting a precedent and setting the market for future contracts, possibly including their own. To wit: the Lamar Jackson contract drama.

Here's another saying for you: All it takes is one team.

So GB can't keep all its players, so what? Neither can other teams. Jordy was pretty much washed when he left, you could bring him back but he wasn't coming back on a 1.5M contract.
You think Mason Crosby is tickled about not having a contract? Do you think he's worth what he was paid last year, or what he's probably seeking now?

texaspackerbacker
07-04-2023, 09:17 AM
Bretsky, it sounds like you're saying "media pukes are people too" hahahahaha. A big whatever to that. It's the nature of their sick profession that I hate. If they would just stick to reporting statistics and hard news, that would be one thing, but worming their way like damned parasites into the personnel and staff of the team, that shit is just disgusting.

What you said about the comparison between the Packers and Bucks, I'll give you an alternative take on that: Yeah, Giannis is exactly what you said he is. But I'd argue that Rodgers is or was about that good and honorable and good teammate too - until the God damned media assholes wormed their way in and did their damnedest to stir up trouble. I suppose you'd argue that the shit about Rodgers existed without the media fucking things up. I'd argue that everything about Rodgers for a long time indicated that he was an excellent teammate and loyal team member. Why did they do it to Rodgers and not Giannis? I don't know, maybe because Giannis was foreign, maybe he just made himself immune to the media shit. At this point, the Rodgers situation is old news, over and done with. The way I see it, though, the media shitheads did their damnedest to drive him out of Green Bay and finally succeeded. Fuck all of them and let them rot in hell.

run pMc, plus one to most or all of what you said.

Joemailman
07-04-2023, 09:56 AM
After Woodson's release, one of the J-S writers (Silverstein?) said TT was uncomfortable asking a player of Woodson's stature to take a big pay cut. Paraphrasing here, he wasn't going to ask Woodson to take a similar salary as M.D. Jennings. So releasing Woodson was partly a salary cap move, partly out of respect.

run pMc
07-04-2023, 03:23 PM
I think a lot of releases are actually done out of respect. Bringing someone like Woodson or Clay Matthews or Jordy back on a cheap contract would be a challenge to their pride, and not sure how it would look to others around the league.
Driver wanted to retire a Packer and was being phased out of the offense by the time he had that last year. Cobb has lingered for a miraculously long time for a slot WR and wasn't near as durable.

Speaking very generally - unless it's a franchise QB, I'm not sure you should sign a player to a 3rd contract (unless the 2nd and 3rd are short contracts/extensions). By then most are 30 and on the downside of their careers and not likely to produce compared to the contract.

Bretsky
07-04-2023, 06:13 PM
Bretsky, it sounds like you're saying "media pukes are people too" hahahahaha. A big whatever to that. It's the nature of their sick profession that I hate. If they would just stick to reporting statistics and hard news, that would be one thing, but worming their way like damned parasites into the personnel and staff of the team, that shit is just disgusting.

What you said about the comparison between the Packers and Bucks, I'll give you an alternative take on that: Yeah, Giannis is exactly what you said he is. But I'd argue that Rodgers is or was about that good and honorable and good teammate too - until the God damned media assholes wormed their way in and did their damnedest to stir up trouble. I suppose you'd argue that the shit about Rodgers existed without the media fucking things up. I'd argue that everything about Rodgers for a long time indicated that he was an excellent teammate and loyal team member. Why did they do it to Rodgers and not Giannis? I don't know, maybe because Giannis was foreign, maybe he just made himself immune to the media shit. At this point, the Rodgers situation is old news, over and done with. The way I see it, though, the media shitheads did their damnedest to drive him out of Green Bay and finally succeeded. Fuck all of them and let them rot in hell.

run pMc, plus one to most or all of what you said.

dammit Tex sometimes I want to just slap some sense into you regarding your ignoramous views of Shitbag. Stop ignoring everything he has and had not done and open your eyes.

Wilde pointed out AROD started as a great teammate. He said he invited every Packer over for a Barbeque to get to know everybody, and establish some relationships, in 2008

First off MEDIA are PEOPLE TOO.

And Don't insult Giannis be comparing the two. He leads by example, getting his body in great shape and working out with teammates all offseason, while AROD......skips the OTA's and sits int he dark for 4 days straight as well as all his other shit.

Everybody respects and wants Giannis to stay in GB. If you open your eyes you know many players, and over 70% of those in WI have had enough of shitbag's antics and don't care he's moved on. That's 70% as opposed to 0% who want Giannis to leave Milwaukee.

And one last thing, SHITBAG, aka KAREN is the biggest GB Media Whore of them all. He promotes his self agenda, and leakds his bullshit views on the world more than any media member I know.

DAMMIT TEX see the light

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur0g-R7ZODY

Bretsky
07-04-2023, 06:17 PM
After Woodson's release, one of the J-S writers (Silverstein?) said TT was uncomfortable asking a player of Woodson's stature to take a big pay cut. Paraphrasing here, he wasn't going to ask Woodson to take a similar salary as M.D. Jennings. So releasing Woodson was partly a salary cap move, partly out of respect.

Wilde, who was very close to Woody, as he called him noted, Woody knew he would need to restructure, and really thought GB would redo the deal, for a much lower salary with incentives built in, some of which would be very very hard to reach. He loved his time in GB but was really hurt the way it went down

sharpe1027
07-04-2023, 07:03 PM
Maybe they could have kept Adams. Probably not, but maybe. It wouldn't have been cheap. Instead they got decent trade value and more cap space. It wasn't a bad move.

MadtownPacker
07-04-2023, 07:48 PM
Woodson? You mean the true leader and heart & soul of the SB winning squad in 2010.

Davante? That guy you called Fraud and once he left Erron couldn't hit King Kong with a pass. Now you long for his automatic catches.

Then you threat lil Tex with violence! :lol: Whup his ass Tex!!!

texaspackerbacker
07-04-2023, 09:26 PM
Did I miss something? Somebody threatened me with violence? hahahahaha

texaspackerbacker
07-04-2023, 09:59 PM
dammit Tex sometimes I want to just slap some sense into you regarding your ignoramous views of Shitbag. Stop ignoring everything he has and had not done and open your eyes.

Wilde pointed out AROD started as a great teammate. He said he invited every Packer over for a Barbeque to get to know everybody, and establish some relationships, in 2008

First off MEDIA are PEOPLE TOO.

And Don't insult Giannis be comparing the two. He leads by example, getting his body in great shape and working out with teammates all offseason, while AROD......skips the OTA's and sits int he dark for 4 days straight as well as all his other shit.

Everybody respects and wants Giannis to stay in GB. If you open your eyes you know many players, and over 70% of those in WI have had enough of shitbag's antics and don't care he's moved on. That's 70% as opposed to 0% who want Giannis to leave Milwaukee.

And one last thing, SHITBAG, aka KAREN is the biggest GB Media Whore of them all. He promotes his self agenda, and leakds his bullshit views on the world more than any media member I know.

DAMMIT TEX see the light

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur0g-R7ZODY

Bretsky, (oh, is that the violence Madtown was talking about? I didn't recognize it hahahaha).

You said yourself, this pet media puke of yours even acknowledged that Rodgers was a "great teammate" in 2008 (hey, that rhymes hahahaha). When did that supposedly stop - except in the jaded bullshit minds of media pukes and those who swallow the crap they spew? What did he ever do - proof or evidence - that was negative or harmful to teammates or the team in general? I say nothing or damn near it. Sure, he has done and said some weird shit - the darkness thing, the psychedelics, the series of weird celebrity gfs (or fag-ism if you prefer). That shit tends to be kinda disgusting to me too, but arguably it never harmed the team, and his GOATish peformance for so many years more than makes up for it by a damn-site. Tell me - preferably with evidence - if/how you see that differently.

As for the Giannis comparison, Giannis, God love him and so do I, is every bit the wonderful person and leader by example you say, and by all accounts I've heard, without the weird shit Rodgers has done. I have heard stories about Giannis doing some of that "Assistant GM" thing ya'all talk about too. Arguably, in both cases, him and Rodgers, the team was generally helped by it. As for the lack of weird shit compared to the plethora of it, I'd suggest Giannis maybe isn't quite the intellectual Rodgers is.

I say again, the "shitbag antics" and "self agenda promotion" and "media whoredom" are products of the often anti-Packer and virtually always selfish agendas of the God damned media types. If there's anything to that shit about "70% wanting Rodgers to leave", it's just a consequence of people dumb enough to believe those media shitheads.

Bretsky
07-04-2023, 11:00 PM
Woodson? You mean the true leader and heart & soul of the SB winning squad in 2010.

Davante? That guy you called Fraud and once he left Erron couldn't hit King Kong with a pass. Now you long for his automatic catches.

Then you threat lil Tex with violence! :lol: Whup his ass Tex!!!

Yes, Woody gets a TON of credit

Devante.....I gave my Mea Culpa; my horrible call. One of many. AROD missed Devante more than Davante missed AROD

lol; I'm just trying to smack sense into Tex

Joemailman
07-04-2023, 11:51 PM
Wilde, who was very close to Woody, as he called him noted, Woody knew he would need to restructure, and really thought GB would redo the deal, for a much lower salary with incentives built in, some of which would be very very hard to reach. He loved his time in GB but was really hurt the way it went down

He may have felt hurt, but it's a business involving fabulously well paid people. Do we hear of teams feeling "hurt" when they draft a guy, develop him for 4-5 years, and then see the player leave for greener (as in dollars) pastures?

MadtownPacker
07-05-2023, 01:06 AM
Yes, Woody gets a TON of credit

Devante.....I gave my Mea Culpa; my horrible call. One of many. AROD missed Devante more than Davante missed AROD

lol; I'm just trying to smack sense into TexThen you spell his name all fucked up you doush!

I’m not kidding I think Tex will kick your ass. Sorry man but I’m not kidding. He plays tennis so he should have some agility regardless of his age. You on the other hand have just had knee surgery. My pesos would all be bet on him.

Tex, you know how this has to go…

https://media4.giphy.com/media/Tns21Z5UMxz9748cOM/giphy.gif

texaspackerbacker
07-05-2023, 03:19 AM
Nah. I get along ok with Bretsky. He's about the only one in here that I have any contact with outside of in here.

I wouldn't be above some dirty fighting like the video, though hahahaha.

bobblehead
07-06-2023, 11:21 AM
We won more games than the Raiders.
Jordy and Woodson were JAGS after we let them walk and simply would have been guys blocking younger guys from improving.
Reporters who want future interviews tend to side with players over management.

Just a couple facts for perspective.

MadScientist
07-06-2023, 01:43 PM
Woodson was pretty good with the Raiders after he left, making the pro bowl in his final (age 39) season. But I don't have any real issues with the way the Packers handled things. Better to cut bait a year early than a year late.

King Friday
07-07-2023, 10:37 PM
Players do not care about the long term interests of the team. The team does. That is the disconnect.

MadScientist
07-08-2023, 04:30 PM
Players do not care about the long term interests of the team. The team does. That is the disconnect.

Given that players don't have long careers in general, they can't think or care too much about the long term interests of the team.

run pMc
07-08-2023, 05:18 PM
Given that players don't have long careers in general, they can't think or care too much about the long term interests of the team.

Which is why I don't begrudge players following the money if they choose to, vs. sticking with a perennial winning team, and known locker room and coaches.
If a team overpays for a player or keeps a player past their "best by" date, that is IMO questionable decision making at best, and can impact a team's future.

GM has to build a winner for current season and 2-3 years down the road.

How many players have left the team and gone on to have better years? There have been a few, but I bet for every one you can think of there are two that didn't pan out.
We remember Micah Hyde, but forget about Jake Ryan, Ty Summers, Oren Burks, Chandon Sullivan, or TJ Lang.

Going to back to Wolf, GB has historically done a pretty good job of keeping its players and only letting them go when they age out or the production to price ratio is out of whack.
There have been a few occasions where the salary cap hindered them (ex. the OL losses in Mike Sherman's last year) but those are less common than many other teams.

bobblehead
07-10-2023, 12:54 PM
Woodson was pretty good with the Raiders after he left, making the pro bowl in his final (age 39) season. But I don't have any real issues with the way the Packers handled things. Better to cut bait a year early than a year late.

Woodson was not a Pro Bowl player at 39 regardless if he was named to the team. Jordy's last season was 63 739 11.7 3. I believe he probably cracks 1000 with Rodgers, but after one season with the Raiders he was done.

As for Adams, it would have been nice if he hadn't gotten all butt hurt because we were supposed to show more loyalty than he did (Although he signed and was offered REALLY good deals through his career, but dammit, Gutes should have offered it a year earlier....my feelings are hurt.) Yea, he is still studly, but him leaving was HIS choice. He wanted a ton of locked in money with a year left at age 28. I would have made him play out half the season as well to be honest. Look at the numbers for WR after age 30 (which Adams is right now, 31 in December).

I do dynasty football so we really look at age a lot. A quick search turned this up from 2021:

Top 5 WRs age 30+
AJ Green, 718 yards
Thielen, 686
Beasley, 640
M Jones, 624
E Sanders, 606

WRs turning 30 next year:
D Adams
K Allen
Lockett
Hopkins
Woods
OBJ
Landry

Top WR 30+ had 718 yards. D wanted a contract that would have paid him 20M plus (signing bonus locking it in for 3 years) that kicked in at age 29 (and he turned 30 In December). Moreover he wanted it a year before his current deal was up. Those are the deals bad GMs make....like the Raiders. Now there are some exceptions, but for the most part WRs really decline right around 30. Sorry if that means a fan favorite can't get a bunch of money, but in most cases teams are simply better off developing a younger guy who adds ST value.

run pMc
07-11-2023, 09:12 AM
Top WR 30+ had 718 yards. D wanted a contract that would have paid him 20M plus (signing bonus locking it in for 3 years) that kicked in at age 29 (and he turned 30 In December). Moreover he wanted it a year before his current deal was up. Those are the deals bad GMs make....like the Raiders. Now there are some exceptions, but for the most part WRs really decline right around 30. Sorry if that means a fan favorite can't get a bunch of money, but in most cases teams are simply better off developing a younger guy who adds ST value.

Yeah, kind of goes with my opinion that except for QBs giving a player a 3rd multi-year contract is playing with salary cap fire.
Getting picks for Adams vs. keeping him on that contract was a good move by Gute, not having young developed WRs who could step right in vs. having to play rookies was NOT.

I'm not surprised Adams had a good year last year, he'll probably be good this year too but after that I don't know. His elite traits are winning at the line and separation in general, I'm not sure how well that ages...better than pure speed, I'd think.

call_me_ishmael
07-11-2023, 11:43 PM
People get old and different life stages. Let's see how Giannis is at 35+. My guess is he won't be buddy buddy with the 18 year olds anymore.

I think Wilde is basically right that ARod would still be here if they resigned Adams. They screwed the pooch on that one.

Money aside - you don't let special players out the door - period. Adam is a much bigger mistake than say Peppers, Woodson, Nelson, etc because he was ~30 years old or something and an all-pro. The other dudes were quite old - although I probably would have kept both Peppers and Woodson another year or two and moved on from Nelson.

Good discussion here.

call_me_ishmael
07-11-2023, 11:54 PM
Better to cut bait a year early than a year late.

I disagree that you do this with special players.

sharpe1027
07-12-2023, 07:43 AM
People get old and different life stages. Let's see how Giannis is at 35+. My guess is he won't be buddy buddy with the 18 year olds anymore.

I think Wilde is basically right that ARod would still be here if they resigned Adams. They screwed the pooch on that one.

Money aside - you don't let special players out the door - period. Adam is a much bigger mistake than say Peppers, Woodson, Nelson, etc because he was ~30 years old or something and an all-pro. The other dudes were quite old - although I probably would have kept both Peppers and Woodson another year or two and moved on from Nelson.

Good discussion here.

Rodgers was showing signs he wanted out before Adams left. Also, you don't have to be buddy buddy with everyone to be a good teammate.

You don't get trade value for crappy players. You face a choice of getting value now but being worse short term or risking having an aging player on a bloated contract and less young talent.

You can make a mistake by trading a player too soon, but you can also be worse off by keeping a player too long, even a special player.

I tend to agree it's better to restock when you can get value than to wait too long.

MadScientist
07-12-2023, 08:52 AM
I disagree that you do this with special players.

By definition, players kept a year too long are no longer special. But they usually have a contract that pays them for being special. That is something that can hurt a team for several years.

run pMc
07-12-2023, 11:34 AM
Some have argued Rodgers was kept a year too long and that they could have gotten a fortune from DEN had he been traded instead of Russ. I'm not sure about that; Rodgers is much older and coming off an MVP season with a shiny new extension.
It doesn't take much to fall from 'special player' status, especially when age happens.

Losing Adams hurt the team last year, but the offense's dependence on Adams was an issue before that (see: most recent home playoff loss to SF). Is it better to have one elite level (top 5) WR and then scrubs, or 2 top 20 WRs? I think the offense was best when they had multiple options... if a defense shuts down one player, another one steps up. Gives you better stability in case of injuries, contract issues, etc., plus they likely don't cost as much against your salary cap. WR salaries have exploded and it makes sense to constantly draft new ones. I don't know if the salaries are going to come back to earth a little bit like RBs have. Not saying they don't deserve to be paid, just think it's difficult to pay top dollar for WR and QB (I'm assuming you have a QB on a high salary).

texaspackerbacker
07-12-2023, 02:54 PM
If you believe the media shit, there wasn't much choice about pulling the plug on Rodgers. If there had been a choice, it would have been bonehead stupid trading him. I'm betting he would have bounced back from the injury and had a great year for the Packers this year and that he will have a big year for the Jets too although not necessarily reflected in the record, as the Jets are way short of the Packers in terms of a supporting cast.

Whether losing Adams was the primary cause is kinda a chicken and egg situation. I tend to think Adams had a hunch or inside knowledge about Rodgers not staying long term and wanted out for that reason more than the other way around.

Bretsky
07-13-2023, 05:51 PM
If you believe the media shit, there wasn't much choice about pulling the plug on Rodgers. If there had been a choice, it would have been bonehead stupid trading him. I'm betting he would have bounced back from the injury and had a great year for the Packers this year and that he will have a big year for the Jets too although not necessarily reflected in the record, as the Jets are way short of the Packers in terms of a supporting cast.

Whether losing Adams was the primary cause is kinda a chicken and egg situation. I tend to think Adams had a hunch or inside knowledge about Rodgers not staying long term and wanted out for that reason more than the other way around.

If you believe GB wanted Adams to stay it was the motherload of all F'ck ups not to close the deal the year before.

At the end of the season Adams was in the GTFO (get the f'ck out) Mode. He was bitter, hurt, and jaded

And it was COMPLETLY SHITTY of GUTEBAG to leak it to the press that GB offered more than Oakland. Adams was good as gone; that was kinds dirty pool when he should have just shut the F'ck up

texaspackerbacker
07-13-2023, 10:42 PM
Supposedly the Packers offered him more money than the Raiders, but he chose to leave anyway. WHY do you say it was shitty that Gutekunst let it be known the Packers offered him more? Assuming it's true, that makes Adams the villain, not to mention stupid, so it was damn appropriate to say it - if true.

Bretsky
07-13-2023, 11:12 PM
Supposedly the Packers offered him more money than the Raiders, but he chose to leave anyway. WHY do you say it was shitty that Gutekunst let it be known the Packers offered him more? Assuming it's true, that makes Adams the villain, not to mention stupid, so it was damn appropriate to say it - if true.

Tex, they had burned their bridges with Adams; he was 100 percent gone before the offer was made. Maybe it was genuine; maybe it was not.

And then they leaked it to the press so Gutebag could try to look better after losing his Stud WR

texaspackerbacker
07-13-2023, 11:23 PM
You say that like you KNOW hahahahaha. Other than shit spewed by media pukes, what makes you think the Packers alienated Adams? It makes more sense to take Adams at face value - the reasons he SAID he took less money to go to the Raiders. Yeah, leaking that made Gutekunst look better - as he should have looked, given the facts, at least if his words were true.

Bretsky
07-13-2023, 11:28 PM
You say that like you KNOW hahahahaha. Other than shit spewed by media pukes, what makes you think the Packers alienated Adams? It makes more sense to take Adams at face value - the reasons he SAID he took less money to go to the Raiders. Yeah, leaking that made Gutekunst look better - as he should have looked, given the facts, at least if his words were true.

it's common knowledge around here Tex. You can choose to be in another world far away from reality if you choose to . I'm not going to close my eyes, say lalala and ignore everything that's going on.

run pMc
07-14-2023, 08:21 AM
It's been covered by sportswriters and confirmed by Adams himself that GB essentially offered what LV was willing to pay. Adams wanted to be closer to the West Coast and his family, and he was still very close with his college QB Carr.
Adams is a pretty standup guy with the press and hasn't indicated he has bad feelings towards Gute or GB per se. It's possible they low balled him or wanted to delay contract talks the year before, but in his final year with GB I know the front office wanted to keep him and made a real attempt to do so.

Don't believe us? Go ask Adams, or Tom Silverstein or Matt Schneidmann.

"Media pukes" are the people who provide this information. You're insulting the people who provide you with it, that's bad manners akin to insulting the chef at the restaurant where you're dining.
The Internet itself is a medium. If you don't like "media", stay away from TV, radio, newspapers, and the internet. If you can't do that, stop being naive and clicking anything with Packer in the title and stick to reputable sources

texaspackerbacker
07-14-2023, 11:03 AM
Yet Bretsky says it's "common knowledge" otherwise. I agree, why not take Adams at his own word.

And hell yeah, I hate media pukes for a LOT of reasons - not limited to the Packers, not limited to football, not even limited to sports - I dare not say more on that topic hahahaha. But in this case, all they did was apparently accurately portray what Adams said - no "he said this, but we know better and we think he meant this" which so often happens. It's Bretsky with his "common knowledge" thing doing that here.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was like you say, run pMc, they lowballed him at first or tried to get him at a discount to keep the team together. Then they came through with the offer to meet or beat what the Raiders were offering. If that was the case, Gutekunst was merely playing the game as a GM is supposed to do, and if that pissed off Adams, he, Adams, is the villain and/or should have known better. And it's weird to blame Gutekunst for merely stating what he did for the record. He just ended up making the best of a bad situation. He probably was pretty much in that same situation with the Rodgers mess - once Rodgers made that fateful statement on McAfee.

So here we are, having potentially the best team in the NFL - other than at QB, and if lightning strikes a third time/Vince lobbies God hard enough, and Love turns out to be quality, everything is fine. If not, we put up with mediocrity for at least a few years.

Fritz
07-17-2023, 01:21 PM
"If not, we put up with mediocrity for at least a few years."

Tex, your unfailing optimism just can't be tamped down. A couple months ago it was going to be a disaster, and now you've moved up to "mediocrity."

Another month and you'll have them in the playoffs!

texaspackerbacker
07-17-2023, 03:22 PM
A bit of truth in that hahahaha. I'm getting slowly psyched up the season. Love doesn't need to have Rodgers' arm. Just adequate passing and Rodgers' mindset to not throw interceptions should be enough on this otherwise loaded team to go a long way. I'll stick with about 8-9, though, as I'm not sure Love is up to both the physical and mental.

Joemailman
07-17-2023, 03:37 PM
Just some dead zone thoughts:

Parity is the norm in the NFL. Last year three 9-8 teams and one 8-9 team made the playoffs. Parity does not apply, however, when it comes to winning Super Bowls.

There are currently 10 NFL teams that have gone 50+ years without winning a Super Bowl. (Cardinals, Lions, Vikings, Browns, Chargers, Bills, Oilers/Titans, Falcons, Bengals, Jets).

Conversely, there are 10 NFL teams that have won 42 of the 57 Super Bowls (Steelers (6), Patriots (6), 49ers (5), Cowboys (5), Giants (4), Packers (4), Chiefs (3), Broncos (3), Redskins (3), Raiders (3).

texaspackerbacker
07-17-2023, 07:29 PM
Supposedly Rodgers is talking about playing multiple seasons for the Jets - no surprise there, to me at least. I'm betting he plays excellent football this year and beyond, but the Jets still manage to be nothing special. About 8-9 or 9-8 sounds about right for them too even with the GOAT playing like he has most of his career.

sharpe1027
07-17-2023, 08:10 PM
Supposedly Rodgers is talking about playing multiple seasons for the Jets - no surprise there, to me at least. I'm betting he plays excellent football this year and beyond, but the Jets still manage to be nothing special. About 8-9 or 9-8 sounds about right for them too even with the GOAT playing like he has most of his career.

Jets were a 7-10 team with Zach Wilson, Mike Wilson, and Joe Flacco as their QBs with the most attempts, in that order. How the hell can Rodgers play excellent football and only win one more game?

smuggler
07-17-2023, 09:16 PM
Yeah that doesn't scan. The Jets have a good roster. They should win at least 11 this year.

SudsMcBucky
07-18-2023, 08:35 AM

Rodgers is NOT the GOAT.

run pMc
07-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Rodgers is NOT the GOAT.

This is true. At his peak he was special, but he's not the GOAT.

texaspackerbacker
07-18-2023, 10:35 AM
He is and has been a better player than Brady. Is there some other GOAT candidate out there? Haters hating on Rodgers doesn't take away from his ability and accomplishments.

SudsMcBucky
07-18-2023, 10:51 AM
He is and has been a better player than Brady. Is there some other GOAT candidate out there? Haters hating on Rodgers doesn't take away from his ability and accomplishments.

I'll never hate on Rodgers play. He was/is elite, but yes, Brady is the GOAT. Hell, I'd put Montana over AR as closer to goat, too, but Brady just flat out got it done when big stakes were on the line. That's just facts.

run pMc
07-18-2023, 11:45 AM
I'll never hate on Rodgers play. He was/is elite, but yes, Brady is the GOAT. Hell, I'd put Montana over AR as closer to goat, too, but Brady just flat out got it done when big stakes were on the line. That's just facts.

Agree 100%, including re: Montana.

Rodgers is easily more talented than Brady, but Brady has all the stats, including most regular season wins and postseason wins, and a lot of SB rings too.
https://www.statspros.com/aaron-rodgers-vs-tom-brady-stats/

Sparkey
07-18-2023, 12:42 PM
Agree 100%, including re: Montana.

Rodgers is easily more talented than Brady, but Brady has all the stats, including most regular season wins and postseason wins, and a lot of SB rings too.
https://www.statspros.com/aaron-rodgers-vs-tom-brady-stats/

Johnny Unitas: Think of what he could do in todays age of flag football offense.

jklowan
07-18-2023, 02:44 PM
The Packers signed Alex McGough (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McGoAl00.htm) to backup first-year starter Jordan Love (https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/jordan-love-aaron-rodgers-aaron-jones/) in 2023 after a team workout on Tuesday, July 18, according to Bill Huber of FanNation’s Packer Central (https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/transactions/packers-sign-another-quarterback).

texaspackerbacker
07-18-2023, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't even put Montana ahead of Steve Young.

MadScientist
07-18-2023, 10:43 PM
Just some dead zone thoughts:
Conversely, there are 10 NFL teams that have won 42 of the 57 Super Bowls (Steelers (6), Patriots (6), 49ers (5), Cowboys (5), Giants (4), Packers (4), Chiefs (3), Broncos (3), Redskins (3), Raiders (3).

This tells me that the Packers need to win 3 straight SB's to get back on top of this list and to flex on the league as the only franchise to win 3 championships in a row, and do it for the 3rd time.

SudsMcBucky
07-19-2023, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't even put Montana ahead of Steve Young.

Oh, boy.

Fritz
07-21-2023, 07:48 AM
I think Steve Young was a very underrated QB. He could throw and run and he was smart. Really great player. Better than Montana? I don't know.

NewsBruin
07-21-2023, 08:55 AM
I think Steve Young was a very underrated QB. He could throw and run and he was smart. Really great player. Better than Montana? I don't know.

I thought he was highly enough rated once he got out of Tampa Bay. I'd put him ahead of Montana for his size, athleticism and arm.

sharpe1027
07-21-2023, 10:07 PM
My heart says Montana. The stats say Young. I don't know who to believe!

MadScientist
07-21-2023, 11:36 PM
My heart says Montana. The stats say Young. I don't know who to believe!

Looking at the stats, nothing about Young was head and shoulders above Montana. Young ran more, but also took sacks at a much higher rate. Montana had a much longer career and leads 4-1 in SB wins. In total, I'd say Montana, but it's not big either way.

sharpe1027
07-22-2023, 04:08 AM
Looking at the stats, nothing about Young was head and shoulders above Montana. Young ran more, but also took sacks at a much higher rate. Montana had a much longer career and leads 4-1 in SB wins. In total, I'd say Montana, but it's not big either way.

Montana played longer, but was also injured more often, statistically speaking. Young had a better career according to QB metrics by a meaningful amount and ran much better.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/343986-could-steve-young-actually-be-better-than-joe-montana

From 1991 to 1998, Young's average passer rating was 100.9. In fact, from 1991 to 1998, every other quarterback in the NFL combined to top a 100 passer rating just four times—three of them were in 1998.

run pMc
07-22-2023, 12:09 PM
Montana also played when the defense could do bad things to QBs and receivers. OK, compared to now Young did too, but go back and watch some of the hits Montana and other QBs took.
Also, consider how bad SF when Montana and Walsh first got there.

In short, the NFL hadn't become the passing league it is now, and Young had a pretty good roster when he took over for Montana.

Young was great too - he's in the HOF for a reason - but I think it's Montana over Young.

sharpe1027
07-22-2023, 01:49 PM
I think Young had better stats relative to other QBs playing at the same time than Montana relative to QBs playing at the same time has him.

texaspackerbacker
07-26-2023, 11:07 PM
No comments in here about Rodgers reworking his Jets contract to help the team and stating (as I always thought) that he intends to play multiple more years?

My expectation is that Rodgers will play MVP level or near it, but that the Jets will founder anyway - not much if any above mediocrity.

MadScientist
07-27-2023, 12:21 AM
No comments in here about Rodgers reworking his Jets contract to help the team and stating (as I always thought) that he intends to play multiple more years?

Correct, not comments. We don't care about him anymore, unless it impacts the draft pick we get for him next year.

NewsBruin
07-27-2023, 12:25 AM

My expectation is that Rodgers will play MVP level or near it, but that the Jets will founder anyway - not much if any above mediocrity.

It hurts my brain, but yeah, it looks like two years of fully guaranteed roster bonuses (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/aaron-rodgers-3745/)(and a little salary to stay honest) that get spread out over five years, but could drop on the salary cap like an anvil on years three (2025 season), four, or five -- whenever Rodgers decides to stop playing. The $37.5m salary in 2025 is more or less a placeholder, because if he wants to play QB another season, they'll rework it and extend him longer.

As someone who's never cared much about the AFC, my question has always been: when are the Jets going to play up to the sum of their parts? I've read a lot of articles that this year's team has a lot of talent in the offensive skill positions and pass rush, but every year, the coaching staff can't turn talent into wins. Plus they've always had one or two Super Bowl favorites in their division gatekeep them from the postseason. That's going to be the case this year with the Bills' coaching and the Dolphins' speed. Aaron's going to have to get some uphill division wins to get in the playoffs.

run pMc
07-27-2023, 11:56 AM
They had to rework his contract as part of the trade.

This tells me he might play more than one year. If he is going to stick around, they had to do something otherwise his cap number was going to be over 107.5 million.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2023/07/26/new-york-jets-aaron-rodgers-takes-pay-cut-agrees-to-new-contract/70472920007/

call_me_ishmael
07-27-2023, 01:30 PM
Tex - The Jets were a very good team with a league worst QB last year who roughed up a Packers team badly.

This year they added your self proclaimed GOAT, and you think they're going to be mediocre? Which is it, Rodgers makes a team great or what?

sharpe1027
07-27-2023, 02:19 PM
Tex - The Jets were a very good team with a league worst QB last year who roughed up a Packers team badly.

This year they added your self proclaimed GOAT, and you think they're going to be mediocre? Which is it, Rodgers makes a team great or what?

The only thing that's guaranteed in the coming response is it won't be Rodgers's fault.

jklowan
07-27-2023, 05:21 PM
I'm wondering if the JETS are making cap space for Bak, would Roders take a discount to bring on his buddy? thoughts 35 mill would more than cover the salary

jklowan
07-28-2023, 12:20 PM
I mean their O line is the only question mark, might work for both parties the extra 1st from Rodgers and a 2nd as well would be sweet.

MadScientist
07-28-2023, 01:09 PM
Payton diss Hackett:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2023/07/27/sean-payton-denver-broncos-russell-wilson-blame-nathaniel-hackett/70470187007/

What happened last year with Wilson?

“Oh, man,” Payton began. “There’s so much dirt around that. There’s 20 dirty hands, for what was allowed, tolerated in the fricking training rooms, the meeting rooms. The offense. I don’t know Hackett. A lot of people had dirt on their hands. It wasn’t just Russell. He didn’t just flip. He still has it. This B.S. that he hit a wall? Shoot, they couldn’t get a play in. They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball.”

Should add some spice to the Jets-Broncos week 5 matchup.

run pMc
07-28-2023, 01:16 PM
Yeah, Payton was pretty candid about the coaches last year. Made it sound like they didn't know their ass from their elbow.
Payton obviously isn't going to be hiring anyone from that coaching staff, or asking them to hire him in the future.

Truth is, anyone could see that Hackett was in over his head, that's why he got canned so fast. It's not like Payton is saying much that isn't news.

The most interesting thing is he's backing his QB and throwing the previous coaching staff under the bus, we'll see if that changes should Russ start the season slowly. I suppose he doesn't have much choice for now, but it will be interesting to see if Russ is washed or not. Payton is a good coach but he had some mediocre years with Brees and the Saints too.

run pMc
07-28-2023, 01:25 PM

Ridiculous. Rodgers even at age 40 is better than Zach Wilson or anyone else they have at QB this year or last year. They are an upgrade at the most important position, so in theory they should be better.
They won't be sneaking up on anybody, they have a tough division, and expectations are high. They might be drinking their own kool aid, they might get hit by injuries, lots of things can happen.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to win more than 7 games, but anyone who expects them to be the top seed is very optimistic. Good defense, have some playmakers on offense, but their OL has issues and they're still the Jets.
I could very easily see some team blitz the hell out of Rodgers and put him out 4-6 weeks with a broken ayahuasca and a concussion...he's not great against the blitz anymore and at 40 is much more brittle. That aside, I'd put them down for 9-10 wins and in the hunt for a WC spot. More than that is tough to imagine with 6 games against the Bills, Dolphins and Belichicks, plus games against the Eagles, Chiefs and Chargers. Their ceiling is 12 wins IMO. The AFC is tough.

Fritz
07-28-2023, 02:45 PM
All I care is that Rodgers plays at least 65% of the offensive snaps, and that the Jets suck hard this year so the Packers can get a better pick next year.

bobblehead
07-29-2023, 12:59 PM
The only thing that's guaranteed in the coming response is it won't be Rodgers's fault.

The jets suck this year, and the ONLY thing we have ruled out is it being Rodgers fault. Where have I been hearing that logic the last couple years?

bobblehead
07-29-2023, 01:01 PM
Payton diss Hackett:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2023/07/27/sean-payton-denver-broncos-russell-wilson-blame-nathaniel-hackett/70470187007/

Should add some spice to the Jets-Broncos week 5 matchup.

I mean....I've said since before we hired him that Hackett was a Hack. The guy has ridden daddy's coattails to a solid career of getting paid for bad results.

run pMc
07-30-2023, 10:01 AM
I mean....I've said since before we hired him that Hackett was a Hack. The guy has ridden daddy's coattails to a solid career of getting paid for bad results.

I think with a lot of coaching hires it's about trust and familiarity over competence. Joe Barry is example A. Nepotism runs wild in the NFL. Pressure is on coaches, so they hire people they know.
Hackett does have his daddy to thank for getting far -- he's not the only one -- but I think OC is his absolute ceiling. He wasn't even calling plays under MLF, and Denver made him a HC. When they hired him, I was a little surprised tbh... I didn't think Hackett was a great hire bc he hadn't really shown much. I thought Stenavich might be a better coach, although OC might be a stretch for him too. Odd to me that guys like Eric Bienemy don't get a HC gig after working under Reid for years but Hackett does.

Fritz
07-30-2023, 11:12 AM
Rodgers is sucking up his old buddies to the Jest like a Hoover. I am truly surprised that Lewis has not signed with them, and I won't be surprised if Bakh is dealt there - maybe just up the Rodgers pick to a first with no conditions, then send their second rounder to GB for Bakh. If you can change the conditions on Trade A as part of Trade B. Not sure what the rules are there.

run pMc
07-31-2023, 08:06 AM
I'd hold out for as much as possible for a pick, especially if it were to the Jets. If he's healthy, Bahktiari is a very good tackle. He's probably healthy for 12 games though. The Jets have Duane flipping Brown at OT, that dude is 39.

Because so much of Bahtiari's contract has been redone and kicked down the road, if traded next offseason he'd cost his new team something like $11M. For a high end LT that's a bargain.

bobblehead
07-31-2023, 11:14 AM
Rodgers is sucking up his old buddies to the Jest like a Hoover. I am truly surprised that Lewis has not signed with them, and I won't be surprised if Bakh is dealt there - maybe just up the Rodgers pick to a first with no conditions, then send their second rounder to GB for Bakh. If you can change the conditions on Trade A as part of Trade B. Not sure what the rules are there.

I actually expected that trade to have happened already to be honest. With exactly those conditions. And yes, they can agree to solidify a pick in a previous trade as a condition for an ensuing one.

call_me_ishmael
07-31-2023, 10:45 PM
I think it's very clear Rodgers redid his contract to land an OL either now-ish or at the trade deadline. I wouldn't think the Packers would be foolish enough to give away a 32 year old left tackle when I think he could easily play 3-5 more years at a high level, but maybe they will if they're rebuilding. Y'all know my view - if you're gonna suck, go full suck, not half suck, get BJ Raji and CM3 and win a super bowl. You don't get those dudes without going full suck.

Fritz
08-02-2023, 09:03 AM
I think it's very clear Rodgers redid his contract to land an OL either now-ish or at the trade deadline. I wouldn't think the Packers would be foolish enough to give away a 32 year old left tackle when I think he could easily play 3-5 more years at a high level, but maybe they will if they're rebuilding. Y'all know my view - if you're gonna suck, go full suck, not half suck, get BJ Raji and CM3 and win a super bowl. You don't get those dudes without going full suck.

Saw an interesting article this morning in which Rodgers said part of the reason he wanted to restructure his contract is because he'd like to see the Jest active at the trade deadline.

However, if the team wants to trade for, say, Davante Adams or David Bakhtieri, and if any trade would require a first- or second-round pick, the Jest will have to come back to Guter and rework the trade conditions to free up such a pick. That could mean the Jest throwin in another fourth rounder or so, according to the article, if it's the first-rounder the Jest want to use.

Interesting.

I also am now wondering if either Rasheed Walker or Caleb Jones is showing enough to the team to give them the confidence that one of them can step in as a backup tackle if Bakh is traded and either Nijman or Tom gets, well, you know.