PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs Bears

Joemailman
09-10-2023, 06:46 PM
The season of Love is here.

Matt LaFleur stays perfect vs Bears. 9-0.

Jordan Love - 245 yards passing.3 TD's 123.2 passer rating.

Aaron Jones - 127 total yards 2 TD's.

Jayden Reed - 48 yards receiving, 54 yards returning.

Quay Walker pick 6

Devonte Wyatt - 1.5 sacks, 2 TFL, 2 QB hits.

Discuss.

smuggler
09-10-2023, 07:04 PM
Crossing my fingers that Reed is okay and Quay's noodle didn't get too scrambled on the hit across the goal line.

Was nice to get contributions from Wyatt, Quay, Van Ness, and Brooks all in the same game.

pittstang5
09-10-2023, 07:05 PM
Good game to start the season considering the last two years have sucked something awful. Lot of work to still be down.

My take:

The Good
Love - looked very good. Some really good passes and some not so good. Good decisions. The not so good throws were overthrown balls, but that can be fixed.
O-line (except Myers) - Didn't read the stat line, but can only remember one sack, which I believe was a coverage sake, Love just held onto the ball too long.
A. Jones - He was on fire.
Defense - Good game overall. Got stops when they needed them. Sacks, an INT, pressure.
Carlson - Made every kick. What more could you ask for?

The Bad
Stupid penalties
Myers - Two botched snaps - at least two that I saw. Backed into Jones on the 1st play for the offense.
Dillon - Change your cleats or something.
Tackling - Every year it's the same, tackling sucks at times.

smuggler
09-10-2023, 07:16 PM
Everyone with the whole “yadda yadda it’s week 1” takes can fuck right off. You plan and prepare for this game all offseason. This is the PACKERS coming into YOUR HOME and you go ahead and get OUTCOACHED and OUTCLASSED on BOTH sides of the ball. Fields haters are given a FIELD day. Green Bay fans are just jizzing to the moon because hey, Jordan Love might not be a hall of fame QB yet, but he can BEAT the FUCKING BEARS and that’s all that matters. You think this team has a Harvey Weinstein chance in hell at taking it to the Packers later this season, in GREEN BAY? When they’ll most likely have CHRISTIAN WATSON back on offense? I honestly can’t wait to hear what Flus has to say after this one. Also Poles not investing in oline after Wright and not targeting any real pass rushers in the draft is rearing its ugly head right about now. Rant over. I guess.

From www.reddit.com/r/CHIBears

If this is the highlight of the season, I'm good with it. Hoping for more.

QBME
09-10-2023, 07:18 PM
Living down here in the Flatland, tonight my thirst will be quenched with the tears of Bears fans as they ponder being under new ownership.
Again.

texaspackerbacker
09-10-2023, 07:21 PM
A helluva lot to be happy about!

Joe Barry's D stopped the run, did a good job against the pass, and didn't let Fields go completely crazy. All those things are improvements from the past, and supposedly the Bears O has more talent this year hahahaha.

Jordan Love took care of the ball like that guy we used to have a QB who hardly ever threw picks. What was his name again? As I said in the gameday thread, I think the use of Aaron Jones was calculated and highly intelligent by LaFleur, not burning him out early in the game. Maybe they had a hint about the hamstring thing going into the game too. Smart use of players anyway. Not so smart clock management. I think LaFleur will self-correct on that. Also, they play calling seemed over cautious in the first half, and not too wild even in the second half, but in the end, we scored 8 more points than anybody else in the league (oops, I see Miami won 36-34 and Jacsonville scored 31 - oh well, make that 8 better than anybody in the NFC). Not throwing stupid picks, to me, is the key to the season, that and Barry's D scheme not shitting the bed. Great so far.

King Friday
09-10-2023, 07:38 PM
DL play was outstanding. The Bears OL is mediocre at best, but the Packers did what you are supposed to do against that kind of OL and continually put pressure on the QB. Numerous guys got sacks, including a couple rookies. They also kept the run game of the Bears relatively in check as well.

R Douglas was a beast. He committed a stupid penalty, but had several nice pass breakups and tackles around the LOS. The addition of DJ Moore for the Bears produced virtually nothing in week 1. There were too many breakdowns in coverage to my liking, but they did keep the offense in front of them and limited chunk plays, which is what the Barely defense is designed to do.

Offensively, the team was far too conservative in the first half and did not get the ball to Aaron Jones nearly enough. That changed coming out of halftime and the team blew the doors off the Bears in the second half. Considering the youth of the team and the loss of Watson, this was a statement game for the Packer offense. As they gain experience and get a weapon like Watson back, they proved how complete they can be by pounding a very subpar defense into submission. The OL looks very solid. Love isn’t highly accurate, but he maintains a poise that you want from your QB, which I believe plays into his successful play on 3/4 downs.

Overall, great first game to build on. Bring on the dirty birds.

smuggler
09-10-2023, 07:43 PM
With three tuddies today, Jordan Love has matched the number of 3-TD starts in Fields' career. He needs 19 more TD passes to match Justin Fields in career touchdown passes. And four more wins to match Fields in wins. Fields has started 24 more games and thrown 515 more pass attempts.

King Friday
09-10-2023, 07:47 PM
With three tuddies today, Jordan Love has matched the number of 3-TD starts in Fields' career. He needs 19 more TD passes to match Justin Fields in career touchdown passes. And four more wins to match Fields in wins. Fields has started 24 more games and thrown 515 more pass attempts.

That is to be expected from the new owner of the Bears.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2023, 08:18 PM
Good game to start the season considering the last two years have sucked something awful. Lot of work to still be down.

My take:

The Good
Love - looked very good. Some really good passes and some not so good. Good decisions. The not so good throws were overthrown balls, but that can be fixed.
O-line (except Myers) - Didn't read the stat line, but can only remember one sack, which I believe was a coverage sake, Love just held onto the ball too long.
A. Jones - He was on fire.
Defense - Good game overall. Got stops when they needed them. Sacks, an INT, pressure.
Carlson - Made every kick. What more could you ask for?

The Bad
Stupid penalties
Myers - Two botched snaps - at least two that I saw. Backed into Jones on the 1st play for the offense.
Dillon - Change your cleats or something.
Tackling - Every year it's the same, tackling sucks at times.

Curious what you mean by the last 2 years have sucked? We went 13-4 in 2021. Wasn’t that tackling actually really solid this game? Lots of short throws where we tackled the receiver for short gains.

RashanGary
09-10-2023, 08:29 PM
I liked seeing VanNess get the angle on Fields. I don’t think Fields thought a 280 DE was going to be able to move like that because he looked completely caught off guard by how fast that unfolded.

Musgrave runs like a deer.

call_me_ishmael
09-10-2023, 08:33 PM
Curious what you mean by the last 2 years have sucked? We went 13-4 in 2021. Wasn’t that tackling actually really solid this game? Lots of short throws where we tackled the receiver for short gains.

I think he means the opener.

red
09-10-2023, 08:34 PM
i think i might be most impressed with a pass love didn't make. the little dump pass over the middle that was dropped by jones because myers bumped into him right when the ball was getting there

they showed a replay from behind, and it was a messed up play, love didn't throw the ball when he was suppose to, but then a tiny little lane opened up. love adjusted his arm and tossed it side arm and hit jones right where he needed to.

there was no room for error with that throw

red
09-10-2023, 08:36 PM
I liked seeing VanNess get the angle on Fields. I don’t think Fields thought a 280 DE was going to be able to move like that because he looked completely caught off guard by how fast that unfolded.

a retarded drunken deer with its hoofs in buckets of cement that are on a frozen pond?

then yes, he looked like a deer

Joemailman
09-10-2023, 08:45 PM
a retarded drunken deer with its hoofs in buckets of cement that are on a frozen pond?

then yes, he looked like a deer

Whatever you want to call it, he sure surprised Fields with his speed. Wyatt too.

texaspackerbacker
09-10-2023, 08:56 PM

hahahaha Nothing runs like a deer - I head that in a commercial, so it must be true. Van Ness sure ran faster than a Bear, though.

red
09-10-2023, 09:02 PM
Whatever you want to call it, he sure surprised Fields with his speed. Wyatt too.

musgrave runs like that, not van ness

i was talking about the other white rookie that kept getting open but then falling down

Freak Out
09-10-2023, 09:06 PM
That was really nice to see.

Freak Out
09-10-2023, 09:07 PM
That was really nice to see.

That was meant for the Van Ness comment.

run pMc
09-10-2023, 09:14 PM
musgrave runs like that, not van ness

i was talking about the other white rookie that kept getting open but then falling down

Go back and watch his college tape and his preseason. Musgrave falls over all the time. His balance is an issue and it's possible that it always will. He has great speed for his size and has at least competed, so there's hope for him.
Van Ness looked ok, I think he doesn't have a plan on the pass rush but he can run.

Fritz
09-10-2023, 09:18 PM
Red, you crack me up. Your description of Muskrat Lukie was priceless.

Joemailman
09-10-2023, 09:21 PM
I think Musgrave might be doing some footwork drills this week. MLF did say he cramped up on the one he caught.

run pMc
09-10-2023, 09:25 PM
Jordan Love played good. I'm pleasantly surprised by his poise.
His stats weren't great and benefitted from a couple of big chunk plays, but he didn't turn the ball over and was absolutely CLUTCH on 3rd and 4th down. The offense looked stagnant at times but they converted 3rd downs at a very good clip.

I thought GB won this game where they needed to - in the trenches and the run game. The OL protected Love well (the Bears pass rush is not good, and I don't recall them blitzing at all -- weird) and the RBs were able to at least be a concern, on the flip side the defense mostly bottled up the running game, and menaced the CHI OL. Their OL was pretty bad last year and they brought in Nate Davis (a decent RG) and drafted Wright and the line was still leaky for Fields. Fields was under a pretty good amount of pressure and I think as the game went on it got to him.

Concerned about the injuries to some players - Reed, Walker, especially Jones. Bakhtiari got up slow after one play. Hopefully Doubs didn't do anything to the hamstrings and Watson comes back. Injuries happen, but this a different team without Aaron Jones.

Shout out to Anders Carlson for burying all his kicks, and Whelan for playing well too.

Dontayvion Wicks had a bit of a rough game. This is a very young team and there are going to be a lot of growing pains. A win vs. Bears in Week 1 that shuts up some of the offseason smack talkers is pretty satisfying.

run pMc
09-10-2023, 09:27 PM
I think Musgrave might be doing some footwork drills this week. MLF did say he cramped up on the one he caught.

On that broken play with the long reception he was backpedaling and it looked awkward. I'm not surprised but I am a little disappointed he fell. It was still a big play in the game and they scored.
(Hooray for improved RZ play!)

Joemailman
09-10-2023, 09:32 PM
Reed and Doubs can be even better when they have Christian Watson's speed clearing things out.

Fritz
09-10-2023, 09:42 PM
Reed and Doubs can be even better when they have Christian Watson's speed clearing things out.

I just watched some highlights, and one shout-out must go to Daniel Whelan for pulling down a very high snap on Carlson’s FG attempt, and getting the ball down quickly enough and well enough for Carlson to drill it. Don’t know how Whelan punted, but that was a good hold for Carlson. How did he punt?

And Tex - didja see Myers’s garbage snap to Love on that weird play that went to Muskrat Lukie?

RashanGary
09-10-2023, 09:45 PM
Gute has to be feeling pretty good. We got a second round pick and a pick most likely somewhere between 15 and 45 next year. His guy is playing well at QB. The salary cap fixes itself in the next year or two. He went from a guy who might be losing his job real fast to a guy who might be pretty secure if things keep falling right.

RashanGary
09-10-2023, 09:46 PM
I just watched some highlights, and one shout-out must go to Daniel Whelan for pulling down a very high snap on Carlson’s FG attempt, and getting the ball down quickly enough and well enough for Carlson to drill it. Don’t know how Whelan punted, but that was a good hold for Carlson. How did he punt?

And Tex - didja see Myers’s garbage snap to Love on that weird play that went to Muskrat Lukie?

He punted well. Nice hang time. Deep kicks. When he tries to hit them shorter on short fields he doesn’t seem as refined. But his deep punts were much better than what we’re used to. One was a bomb.

run pMc
09-10-2023, 09:46 PM
GB had 4 pass plays of 30 yards or more. CHI's longest was 23. Justin Fields threw 37 times. That's not a recipe for success for CHI.

RashanGary
09-10-2023, 09:51 PM
Go back and watch his college tape and his preseason. Musgrave falls over all the time. His balance is an issue and it's possible that it always will. He has great speed for his size and has at least competed, so there's hope for him.
Van Ness looked ok, I think he doesn't have a plan on the pass rush but he can run.

Jimmy Graham too. But when you get a tight end who can run like that, it’s a threat. When they’re in their prime at least.

texaspackerbacker
09-10-2023, 10:04 PM

Not sure it was his fault, and the other one was to Clifford when the game was already won. I still say he's a damn good Center.

Joemailman
09-10-2023, 10:15 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5topXAacAAMyTo?format=webp&name=900x900

King Friday
09-10-2023, 10:26 PM
I would immediately fire anyone who walked into my office in a professional position wearing that tie. That looks like something 7th grade boy wrestlers would wear when they had to dress up for something instead of wearing sweatpants.

run pMc
09-10-2023, 10:34 PM
9 penalties for 90 yards - MLF will have to get that cleaned up, or whatever the cliche is.
That's not going to fly against most teams.

KYPack
09-10-2023, 11:02 PM
I would immediately fire anyone who walked into my office in a professional position wearing that tie. That looks like something 7th grade boy wrestlers would wear when they had to dress up for something instead of wearing sweatpants.

Great line, King!

call_me_ishmael
09-10-2023, 11:11 PM
JLove looked really good in the single drive I saw. I think we might have another one here boys.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-11-2023, 04:09 AM

IF - not when. Doubs and Reed can be even better if Christine Watson ever sheds her metrosexual milksop reputation.

Christine Watson is softer than a gay guy in a brothel full of women; more injury-prone than an overworked, 40 year old burger flipper; more fragile than a motherless polar bear cub; less dependable than a father who deserted his offspring. And, oh, Watson has a bigger vag than the Claymaker.

Joemailman
09-11-2023, 07:23 AM
Jordan Love pass chart. Not surprisingly, looks nothing like Butte. And when he goes deep down sideline. almost always to the left. Not sure if that's dictated by defensive alignment, or if it's a preference.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/900/pass-chart_LOV130776_2023-REG-1_1694392458973.jpeg

Upnorth
09-11-2023, 07:40 AM
Great to see us win.
However

1)the bears were the worst team in the league in 2022 so what did we learn.
2)those 5 (I think) drops will kill us vs good teams.
3) how is Jones hammy?
However
1) Musgrave holy crap!
2)oline still great
3)young d played great
4)love was great. Didn't dink and dunk and at least 80% of his balls were quality. He converted all 3 red zone passes!

I like our o. What does our d do against an NFL offense?

Fosco33
09-11-2023, 08:27 AM
Besides some overthrows, the other things i saw from Love-

- get out of huddles faster
- learn how to live for the next play/game. We all like that when running he’d make the attempt for a 1st down but he has to realize that those types of plays over the long term aren’t worth it for qb1.

Upnorth
09-11-2023, 08:36 AM
Oh, and I think romeo doubs has wsy more potential than I gave him credit for last year.

He looks like loves security blanket. Watson Musgrave and Reed are going to get lots of highlights this season but I think doubs might be the most important wr on the roster for love.

Nixon is a bit of a liability. We need stokes back bad.

Joemailman
09-11-2023, 08:53 AM
Oh, and I think romeo doubs has wsy more potential than I gave him credit for last year.

He looks like loves security blanket. Watson Musgrave and Reed are going to get lots of highlights this season but I think doubs might be the most important wr on the roster for love.

As the season goes on, I think Nixon may lose playing time to Carrington Valentine.

run pMc
09-11-2023, 09:25 AM
As the season goes on, I think Nixon may lose playing time to Carrington Valentine.

It wouldn't shock me if they determine that Nixon is a much better special teamer than nickel/slot corner. He's aggressive and tough and you need that in the slot, but he's definitely not the best in coverage.
Charles Woodson was the prototype for what you need there, but those types of players are extremely rare. Still, you can get by with less than Woodson there and Nixon will suffice for this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Jaire moves into the slot on passing downs when Stokes comes back.

run pMc
09-11-2023, 09:40 AM
Re: the Jordan Love pass chart - check out Fields' chart. It has similarities to late GB-era Rodgers - a lot of screens and behind the LOS throws. Seemed like by the 2H those screens were figured out by GB and were only going to get the CHI WRs hurt so they just had Field dump off the Rbs in the flat ad nauseum. A lot of CHI fans mad at Getsy, they didn't like the game he called and... that's probably fair. I think execution especially on the OL was a problem for them. They threw the ball 37 times but only twice to DJ Moore. GB's defense actually decided to cover a WR1, which was nice. I don't think he had a lot of time to throw, and he still looks like a slow processer with a bit of a windup in his throwing motion (for a pro QB). I think pocket pressure is always going to be an issue for him.

Still find it interesting that CHI didn't blitz much when they realized they couldn't get pressure on JL. I think that Eberflus D is pretty heavy on Cover 2 zone, so maybe that's why. You have to get home rushing 4 though, and they don't have the horses for that.

GB made a lot of mistakes too. They showed the same habit they had last year of having one drive per game where the defense absolutely self-destructs with dumb plays and penalties. Offense was intermittent. Dillon had trouble with hitting the hole - not sure if CHI was playing the run that well or what, but Dillon kept having to make a cut right at the LOS and his momentum would just die. Young receivers need to work on hands-catching. I think the fumbled exchange between Love and Myers that led to the big Musgrave catch was on Love, looked to me like he just didn't have a good grip and dropped it.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2023, 10:14 AM
Great to see us win.
However

1)the bears were the worst team in the league in 2022 so what did we learn.
2)those 5 (I think) drops will kill us vs good teams.
3) how is Jones hammy?
However
1) Musgrave holy crap!
2)oline still great
3)young d played great
4)love was great. Didn't dink and dunk and at least 80% of his balls were quality. He converted all 3 red zone passes!

I like our o. What does our d do against an NFL offense?

Your first three:

1. True, but they weren't really as bad as their record. And somebody like Fields is always a danger, especially to the Packers - historically speaking.
2. Pass drops bad; Honestly, I didn't notice that many in the context of all the good stuff. I would think that means good can even get better.
3. Jones is quoted as saying he knows what a pulled hamstring feels like, and this wasn't one. Hopefully, his medical expertise is as good as his running hahahaha.

Your bottom four:

1. I didn't think Musgrave was all that bad. First game, he might have been a bit nervous. Stumbling is like shit, it happens. And he DID catch the pass. He's gonna be not just good, but great.
2. O Line great, yes. Not sure about the still part hahaha. Possibly the best pass blocking I've ever seen from a Packer O Line. Run blocking was ok, but I've seen better. I think the Bears plan was to load up to stop the run and let Love try to beat them. That worked about as good as most things the Bears do hahahaha.
3. A big hell yeah about the D. If Joe Barry keeps this up, I and a lot of others might have to stop hating him. Still too many missed tackles, though.
4. Yes on Love being great. LaFleur had him dinking and dunking early, but when he unleashed him and let him drop deep and throw it downfield, the kid did great. And best of all, he was downright Rodgers-esque in taking care of the ball/not throwing picks.

I like our O AND our D. I think they will (and this depends on Barry's newfound good sense continuing) do even better when they don't have the constant specter of the QB taking off for a big gain to worry about.

I say again, this Packer team is loaded.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2023, 10:23 AM
It wouldn't shock me if they determine that Nixon is a much better special teamer than nickel/slot corner. He's aggressive and tough and you need that in the slot, but he's definitely not the best in coverage.
Charles Woodson was the prototype for what you need there, but those types of players are extremely rare. Still, you can get by with less than Woodson there and Nixon will suffice for this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Jaire moves into the slot on passing downs when Stokes comes back.

Yes, a lot of good observations. I don't know if they will use Jaire in the slot sometimes when Stoles comes back, but I'd like to see it. It seemed like they coulda or shoulda done that last year but chose not to. Douglas was great yesterday playiing outside. I wonder if Valentine could handle the outside with Jaire in the Slot. Nixon is a great kick returner but just ok at best as a Corner.

Upnorth
09-11-2023, 10:42 AM
Your first three:

1. True, but they weren't really as bad as their record. And somebody like Fields is always a danger, especially to the Packers - historically speaking.
2. Pass drops bad; Honestly, I didn't notice that many in the context of all the good stuff. I would think that means good can even get better.
3. Jones is quoted as saying he knows what a pulled hamstring feels like, and this wasn't one. Hopefully, his medical expertise is as good as his running hahahaha.

Your bottom four:

1. I didn't think Musgrave was all that bad. First game, he might have been a bit nervous. Stumbling is like shit, it happens. And he DID catch the pass. He's gonna be not just good, but great.
2. O Line great, yes. Not sure about the still part hahaha. Possibly the best pass blocking I've ever seen from a Packer O Line. Run blocking was ok, but I've seen better. I think the Bears plan was to load up to stop the run and let Love try to beat them. That worked about as good as most things the Bears do hahahaha.
3. A big hell yeah about the D. If Joe Barry keeps this up, I and a lot of others might have to stop hating him. Still too many missed tackles, though.
4. Yes on Love being great. LaFleur had him dinking and dunking early, but when he unleashed him and let him drop deep and throw it downfield, the kid did great. And best of all, he was downright Rodgers-esque in taking care of the ball/not throwing picks.

I like our O AND our D. I think they will (and this depends on Barry's newfound good sense continuing) do even better when they don't have the constant specter of the QB taking off for a big gain to worry about.

I say again, this Packer team is loaded.

My Musgrave comment was holy crap he is good. His 1st game production is like our last 4 rookie te full year production combined. I exaggerated but still I can't remember any rookie te since Finley that productive and ready.

smuggler
09-11-2023, 11:22 AM
3-TD Games (Passing) at Soldier Field:

Fields 1
Love 1

Games Started at Soldier Field:

Fields 14
Love 1

General sentiment from Bears faithful:

https://i.redd.it/z2ole8ajjinb1.jpg

Upnorth
09-11-2023, 11:29 AM
https://reddit.com/r/NFCNorthMemeWar/s/h9Bz5FOdQU

Joemailman
09-11-2023, 11:32 AM
My Musgrave comment was holy crap he is good. His 1st game production is like our last 4 rookie te full year production combined. I exaggerated but still I can't remember any rookie te since Finley that productive and ready.

Not even Finley. He didn't have a catch until the 8th game of his rookie year. He didn't become a player until his 2nd year. I think Bubba Franks was the last Packers rookie TE to have an impact as a rookie.

smuggler
09-11-2023, 02:22 PM
TOP FIVE, OFFENSE

1. RT Zach Tom: 84.8
2. WR Romeo Doubs: 78.4
3. LT David Bakhtiari: 78.3
4. RB Aaron Jones: 71.3
5. WR Samori Toure: 66.9

TOP FIVE, DEFENSE

1. LB Quay Walker: 92.1
2. OLB Rashan Gary: 83.4
3. DL Devonte Wyatt: 82.5
4. CB Rasul Douglas: 75.7
5. S Darnell Savage: 72.3

BOTTOM FIVE, OFFENSE

1. C Josh Myers: 44.0
2. TE Josiah Deguara: 47.3
3. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 47.7
4. TE Tucker Kraft: 53.2
5. RB A.J. Dillon: 55.0

BOTTOM FIVE, DEFENSE

1. CB Keisean Nixon: 49.3
2. LB Isaiah McDuffie: 49.3
3. S Rudy Ford: 52.1
4. DL Karl Brooks: 54.8
5. S Jonathan Owens: 57.3

Source: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-from-week-1-vs-bears/

No Studs/Duds Thread, but this thread should suit just fine.

Bold emphasis mine. Good show by Doubs with Watson not playing. Tom had one really nice block on the Showtyme's TD run. Evidently he's also performing well outside of highlights. Explains why Walker and Nijman are riding pine.

Quay and Wyatt playing well is nice, but Quay will almost certainly miss a game and Wyatt will need to do something against better-than-middling offensive line competition before I feel good about him. Savage had a good game, it seems. I know he sniffed out one screen and made a decisive tackle. I'd love for him to become an above average player.

Not much to mention on D for negatives. On offense, WOW would it be nice to have Creed Humphrey right now instead of Josh Myers.

MadScientist
09-11-2023, 02:24 PM
There's been a lot of talk about Jordan Love possibly being better than last year's version of Rodgers. Love's 123.2 rating was better than all but two games last year (CHI #1, DAL). Love's 3-0 TD-int was only matched once last year (DAL). On the other hand, Love's 55.6 completion percentage was worse than all but one game last year (DET #1).

red
09-11-2023, 02:33 PM

That might have more to do with a QB who for 1, didn’t like to work with rookies, and 2, a QBwho rarely looked over the middle and/or utilized TEs

Joemailman
09-11-2023, 02:39 PM
This guy had it figured out. https://twitter.com/i/status/1701307221429174702

smuggler
09-11-2023, 02:44 PM
FUCK CHICAGO

MadScientist
09-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Normally I disagree with Tex when he rants about media types being know-nothing shits, but he might have a point:
https://i.redd.it/qcwvex7nxinb1.jpg

smuggler
09-11-2023, 03:02 PM
Surprised by Kurt's pick. He reviewed Love as better than Fields in the preseason analysis.

bobblehead
09-11-2023, 04:06 PM

My Doubs comp is Michael Thomas. I see Dobbs being a perrenial 100 catch guy, but generally around 1200 yards.

bobblehead
09-11-2023, 04:10 PM
There's been a lot of talk about Jordan Love possibly being better than last year's version of Rodgers. Love's 123.2 rating was better than all but two games last year (CHI #1, DAL). Love's 3-0 TD-int was only matched once last year (DAL). On the other hand, Love's 55.6 completion percentage was worse than all but one game last year (DET #1).

For a first time as THE starter I'll take it. He stayed within himself. Showed some nerves early but calmed down. Success breeds confidence and confidence breeds success.

bobblehead
09-11-2023, 04:11 PM
That might have more to do with a QB who for 1, didn’t like to work with rookies, and 2, a QBwho rarely looked over the middle and/or utilized TEs

The Skinny slant to Jones reminded me of the crosser TD to Watson last year vs. Philly. Both are passes Rodgers just wouldn't throw.

smuggler
09-11-2023, 04:11 PM
Pro comparisons I remember seeing for Doubs were Gallup, Quintez Cephus, and Zay Jones.

Hoping for more Gallup.

bobblehead
09-11-2023, 04:12 PM
Pro comparisons I remember seeing for Doubs were Gallup, Quintez Cephus, and Zay Jones.

Hoping for more Gallup.

Zay Jones?? I don't see that at all.

smuggler
09-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Honestly none of them really ring true for me. But that's what I read after the draft last year.

It could just be because he wears 87, but he reminds me of Brooks but just not as fast.

bobblehead
09-11-2023, 04:15 PM
I just love the way he finds the hole in the zone, and uses his body to shield defenders. Thats Michael Thomas stuff. Thomas is a chain mover when healthy.

pittstang5
09-11-2023, 06:49 PM

Pack has lost the season opener the past two years.

Some of the tackling was horrible. It did get better, but there were a lot of misses, especially in the 1st half of the game.

smuggler
09-11-2023, 06:59 PM
Justin Fields in the first three quarters:

15-19, 154 yards, 1 TD: 118.0 Passer Rating

Justin Fields from the start of the 4th quarter until the on-side attempt:

6-13, 35 yards, 1 INT (pick-6): 21.0 Passer Rating

Last drive (true garbage time):

3-5, 27 yards

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2023, 07:48 PM
Normally I disagree with Tex when he rants about media types being know-nothing shits, but he might have a point:
https://i.redd.it/qcwvex7nxinb1.jpg

Damn right. Actually, that's among the lesser bad things I have to say about those ignorant shitheads.

Fritz
09-11-2023, 08:02 PM
Aren't most of those guys either former players or coaches?

RashanGary
09-11-2023, 08:16 PM
Romeo Doubs was tracked at 21.5 mph on gps. He’s fast. He hasn’t had a lot of deep opportunities, but I think they’ll come.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2023, 08:43 PM

I didn't/don't even watch these guys. I was just generalizing about media pukes in general - which these guys may or may not be.

I'm just enjoying watching the whiny piss ants crying about Rodgers and the Jets tonight. It's been a GREAT first week!

Fritz
09-11-2023, 09:15 PM
I didn't/don't even watch these guys. I was just generalizing about media pukes in general - which these guys may or may not be.

I'm just enjoying watching the whiny piss ants crying about Rodgers and the Jets tonight. It's been a GREAT first week!

On anither note, Troy
Aikman is kinda dogging Nathaniel Hackett.

This is fun!

As long as Rodgers plays the requisite number of snaps for the Pack to get that first-rounder and the Jest suck really badly. it IS all good.

MadScientist
09-12-2023, 12:59 AM
On anither note, Troy

This is fun!

As long as Rodgers plays the requisite number of snaps for the Pack to get that first-rounder and the Jest suck really badly. it IS all good.

They might suck really badly, at least.

NewsBruin
09-12-2023, 01:49 AM

You have Rich Eisen, who's never broke a 5.9 forty
Steve Mariucci, former Packers QB coach
Kurt Warner, parlayed being a Packers camp body into the Iowa Barnstormers Hall of Fame
Gerald McCoy, no touchdowns in 10 seasons
And Michael Irvin, who was only successful with the Cowboys.

smuggler
09-12-2023, 06:30 AM
Michael Irvin was really annoying to watch with Dallas. He was good enough to hurt you on D, but the way he would crouch down in the awkward dragon pose after a first down and then kinda wipe his ass with the ball was always disturbing and came off as trashy to me.

Plus he would winge and moan and cry to the Zebras for a flag literally every single time a defensive back was remotely physical with him.

If I had to name just one player that I wish had never played football, I'd be very tempted to pick Irvin.

NewsBruin
09-12-2023, 07:17 AM
If I had to name just one player that I wish had never played football, I'd be very tempted to pick Irvin.

I don't like visiting this side of myself, but Erik Williams by a country mile. He crushed Jurko's knee from behind after the play and laughed about it.

Fritz
09-12-2023, 08:26 AM
Hey, I did not get to watch the game. How did TJ Slaton look?

Joemailman
09-12-2023, 09:56 AM
Hey, I did not get to watch the game. How did TJ Slaton look?

I didn't think he was particularly noticeable one way or the other. Bears RB's didn't have a much success running the ball consistently, (19-66) so he seemed to his job. The Packers d-line was running a lot of stunts, so maybe he was the stay at home guy. He was out there on 54% of snaps. He assisted on 1 tackle.

run pMc
09-12-2023, 11:09 AM
I think Slaton led the DL in snaps technically, played fairly stout, nothing too horrible either way. CHI normally has a pretty good running game -- they've carved up GB before -- so bottling up the RBs is a good sign. Roschon Johnson gave them some life; I think he's going to be good. Justin Fields' scrambles boosted their overall numbers. Khalil Herbert is a good back and he had a tough time against the GB front. Really glad to see that.

Liked all the stunts they ran; wonder if they can keep that up. It was pretty disruptive.

ATL has a better OL but Desmond Ridder might not be good. That running game though. Will be another good road test for the DL. Chris Lindstrom and Kaleb McGary are probably better than any OL CHI has.

run pMc
09-12-2023, 02:00 PM
Per ESPN, Chicago only generated six pressures on Love. The Packers quarterback was blitzed on 16.7% of his dropbacks.

Green Bay generated thirty six pressures on Fields.

Joemailman
09-12-2023, 09:29 PM
J.T. O'Sullivan goes over in some detail Jordan Love's day. Great stuff if you have about 25 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaKj2OvfW5w

bobblehead
09-13-2023, 09:20 AM
On anither note, Troy

This is fun!

I would like everyone to forget all the things I'm wrong about and point out that I've been dogging Nathaniel Hackett since he was the OC of the Jaguars.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-13-2023, 09:43 AM
J.T. O'Sullivan goes over in some detail Jordan Love's day. Great stuff if you have about 25 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaKj2OvfW5w

Good watch. Everything I learned about quarterbacking, I learned from ole JT, a Mike Sherman acquisition.

On the 1st Love-Doubs TD, rookie “John” Wicks beat a pistol force coverage and was WIDE in the corner of the endzone. But we ain’t playing Madden, so Love trusted his progression and opted for Doubs instead. The best part bout Love is, while he’s still a diamond in the rough, he ain’t look anything like Hundley or Kizer.

KYPack
09-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Good watch. Everything I learned about quarterbacking, I learned from ole JT, a Mike Sherman acquisition.

On the 1st Love-Doubs TD, rookie “John” Wicks beat a pistol force coverage and was WIDE in the corner of the endzone. But we ain’t playing Madden, so Love trusted his progression and opted for Doubs instead. The best part bout Love is, while he’s still a diamond in the rough, he ain’t look anything like Hundley or Kizer.

You've learned, but not that much. Pistol force is NOT a pass coverage. Give it up. Watch JT's videos, you may learn the game someday.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-13-2023, 10:39 AM
You've learned, but not that much. Pistol force is NOT a pass coverage. Give it up. Watch JT's videos, you may learn the game someday.

I once asked Nutz about the pistol force and he simply gave me a blink stare. If Nutz, a career high school football coach, ain’t got a clue about the Pistol Force, then who does?

Fritz
09-13-2023, 10:50 AM
I once asked Nutz about the pistol force and he simply gave me a blink stare. If Nutz, a career high school football coach, ain’t got a clue about the Pistol Force, then who does?

Mebb it was a blank stare because he couldn't believe you'd think what you did.

MadScientist
09-13-2023, 10:50 AM

His video on Fields game is an interesting contrast. Fields did not have anticipation, would not throw to open receivers downfield and didn't keep his eyes downfield when things started to break down. On the other hand there were a number of of WTF play schemes and some really incompetent blocking on several plays.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-13-2023, 10:54 AM
Btw, Kentucky, I actually thought of you while watching the highlight of 82 of the Jesters returning a walk-off punt-6 against the Bills on Monday. Did you see the Bill punter’s pathetic attempt at tackling 82? Shades of JK Scott, eh?

MadScientist
09-13-2023, 11:04 AM
Proof that the PFF grading system is bullshit:
https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/qb
I don't have the full breakdown of their scoring, but the fact that they have Fields at #7 and Love at #19 means their system is useless.

KYPack
09-13-2023, 11:13 AM

Thousands of people. It's just not common terminology.

That blank stare is the same one all kinds of people give you.

Learn to get used to it.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-13-2023, 11:17 AM
I don't have the full breakdown of their scoring, but the fact that they have Fields at #7 and Love at #19 means their system is useless.

PFF probably employs a bunch of math nerds like Bobble who ain’t ever played a down of football. Some of us actually shut down Darren Charles in a game while Bobbles stares at a chalk board full of numbers and figures, wasting time solving unsolvable mathematical equations.

run pMc
09-13-2023, 11:46 AM

Justin Fields is actually ranked 18th, Love 19th.
Still doesn't make sense to me. Love missed some throws and certainly wasn't perfect, but he didn't fumble or throw a bad pick-6 either. I'd also say more of Love's throws went farther than 5 yards beyond the LOS - Field threw a lot of screens and checks into the flat.

One area Fields had Love beat was scrambling. He had some pretty impressive runs where GB defenders just couldn't get their hands on him. Dude is elusive. Still think Love outplayed Fields, and so do most people who watched the game.

texaspackerbacker
09-13-2023, 12:14 PM
A lot of good points about the unreliability of PFF - going against common sense and observability. Some people seeing it now with Love, though, maybe have been a little bit blind to it in the context of other positions.

bobblehead
09-13-2023, 12:48 PM

Meh. It has flaws. Like rewarding a QB for missing 2 open guys then scramble for 20 yards. But its not horrible. Did they grade myers -25.6? If so then they aren't all bad.

bobblehead
09-13-2023, 12:50 PM
PFF probably employs a bunch of math nerds like Bobble who ain’t ever played a down of football. Some of us actually shut down Darren Charles in a game while Bobbles stares at a chalk board full of numbers and figures, wasting time solving unsolvable mathematical equations.
You are incorrect sir.....as a general statement and specific.

run pMc
09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Starting to look like the Bears are imploding to me.

Justin Fields' body language and presser speaking volumes. It's like Eberflus (and esp. Getsy) lost this team when they lost to GB.
They'll have 2 top 5 picks, probably including the #1 pick next year.

Probably a new HC and GM too.

Yeah, it's an early take 2 weeks in, but they travel to play KC now and I don't see them winning. Mentally it looks like they are already circling the drain.

QBME
09-20-2023, 03:42 PM
Starting to look like the Bears are imploding to me.

Justin Fields' body language and presser speaking volumes. It's like Eberflus (and esp. Getsy) lost this team when they lost to GB.
They'll have 2 top 5 picks, probably including the #1 pick next year.

Probably a new HC and GM too.

Yeah, it's an early take 2 weeks in, but they travel to play KC now and I don't see them winning. Mentally it looks like they are already circling the drain.

Their DC just resigned.

ThunderDan
09-20-2023, 04:34 PM
Their DC just resigned.

His home was apparently raided by the FBI. Now the Bears compound was raided by the FBI. Something big is going on.

Sparkey
09-20-2023, 04:38 PM
Their DC just resigned.

Rumors that the FBI raided his house and Halas Hall recently has led to his departure.

Even for the Bears, this is an impressively bad start to a season.

Fritz
09-20-2023, 05:19 PM
Rumors that the FBI raided his house and Halas Hall recently has led to his departure.

I've been having a rough day today, Sparkey, thinking about my wife, missing her, but this honestly made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

QBME
09-20-2023, 05:30 PM
His home was apparently raided by the FBI. Now the Bears compound was raided by the FBI. Something big is going on.

Both rumors have been debunked. Allegedly.

RashanGary
09-20-2023, 05:46 PM

:lol:

When I read that, I couldn’t stop laughing. Their fans have disappeared from all of their cocky Twitter fights and just balled up in a corner crying to each other.

They keep talking about giving Bagent a try (rookie undrafted)

And now fields said maybe it’s the coaching why he’s playing like crap. Now he’s going to go out and play his game….

It’s too funny. And he’s going to get injured. His game is a 6’4 running back taking rib shots.

MadScientist
09-23-2023, 01:50 AM
Bears issues are getting ridiculous now:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/soldier-field-manager-says-more-than-100000-of-equipment-was-stolen-from-bears-stadium/

Fritz
09-24-2023, 08:30 AM
Upon further review, it appears da Bears are sucking harder and deeper than ever before.

KYPack
09-24-2023, 10:51 AM
I've been having a rough day today, Sparkey, thinking about my wife, missing her, but this honestly made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

Hang with em, bro. we are with you spiritually, but not financially

MadScientist
09-24-2023, 07:44 PM
Upon further review, it appears da Bears are sucking harder and deeper than ever before.

I need to find a girlfriend who's a Bears fan.