PDA

View Full Version : Packers vs Falcons Discussion Thread

Joemailman
09-11-2023, 05:42 PM
Packers lead all-time series 19-16. 17-14 in regular season, 2-2 in playoffs.

Last meeting: October 5, 2020: Packers defeated Falcons 30-16. Aaron Rodgers threw for 327 yards and 4 TD's. Robert Tonyan had 6 catches for 98 yards and 3 TD's. Zadarius Smith had 3 sacks.

Last week: Falcons defeated the Carolina Panthers 24-10. Falcons rushed 26 times for 130 yards and 2 TD's. Falcons defense gave up 154 rushing yards but only 146 passing yards and had 2 INT's.

Matt LaFleur was the Falcons QB coach 2015-2016. In 2016 Matt Ryan won MVP and led Falcons to Super Bowl which they lost to the Patriots 34-28 after leading 28-3.

Early odds have Packers favored by 1.

Moneyline: Packers -120, Falcons +100

Over/under 40.5

Fritz
09-11-2023, 09:24 PM
So they rushed the ball well and played pass defense well? I don't even know who their QB is.

Joemailman
09-11-2023, 09:52 PM
So they rushed the ball well and played pass defense well? I don't even know who their QB is.

The immortal Desmond Ridder.

MadScientist
09-12-2023, 12:37 AM

They played pass defense well against a rookie QB in his first regular season game. I expect Love to play better than that.

King Friday
09-12-2023, 08:35 AM
The Falcons are not much better than the Bears, although they won’t have the huge mental block of 30 years of being beat down.

Packers defense should not have much issue containing the Falcons. Love will face a slightly stiffer test. I’m guessing the Falcons will blitz at least some of the time.

Fritz
09-12-2023, 10:15 AM
I would think they'd go after him with blitzes hard. Until he shows he can handle them.

RashanGary
09-12-2023, 10:56 AM
I would think they'd go after him with blitzes hard. Until he shows he can handle them.

Oddly enough, I have a hunch watching Love that he doesn’t mind getting it out quick in a tight spot. But he might throw a pick or two more than what we’re used to.

RashanGary
09-12-2023, 10:57 AM
Love also has just enough athleticism to make teams pay for undisciplined rushes. So he seems to have a good blitz skillset.

run pMc
09-12-2023, 11:15 AM

I think the Bears plan was to play Cover2/3 and make Jordan Love beat them. I don't think they blitzed at all, and their DL isn't up to the task to rush 4 and get consistent pressure. Not against GB's OL.
I could see ATL deciding to bring more pressure. Jessie Bates is a good safety and their secondary is probably better than CHI's. I think in general ATL is a better team but that's not saying much; CHI was the worst team last year.

This is more of the same -- can GB stop the run, and run the ball? The game will be won in the trenches.
If they don't turn the ball over they are the more talented team. Not sure what injury status of Jones, Watson, Quay are... we probably won't really know until Thu (I expect most to be out or limited Wed). If Aaron Jones can't play this shifts to ATLs favor.

Bijon Robinson is a fun player. He could cause a LOT of problems if ATL uses him properly.
Will be a homecoming of sorts for many of the recent draft picks (Stokes, Wyatt, Quay), feels like we haven't played in GA in a while.

Joemailman
09-12-2023, 11:54 AM
The speed of Musgrave and Reed could be a key if Falcons blitz. Could be some big plays if Love can beat the blitz and get it to them on a hot read. But the fact that they're rookies means there's more risk involved.

mmmdk
09-12-2023, 01:08 PM
Ridder me this Ridder me that who's afraid of the big Green Pack?

Anti-Polar Bear
09-12-2023, 01:44 PM
Ridder me this Ridder me that who's afraid of the big Green Pack?

Word.

SudsMcBucky
09-12-2023, 02:20 PM
I may actually go to this game. I'll think about it.

bobblehead
09-13-2023, 09:23 AM
This game should help Love get some confidence in his first 2 starts. Couldn't ask for a softer schedule to be honest.

Big question. Does 1st WR taken last year get shut out for 2nd week in a row? If Jaire follows Drake London it could happen.

Fritz
09-13-2023, 11:02 AM
I'm going to have to read up on these Falcons, and also do some research to see where the game will be shown and on what services. I'm contemplating buying some kind of package so I can see all the Packer games, but that's a big investment. Maybe, being single again, I could just go to sports bars and watch from there. The beers and snacks and tips over the course of a season might still be less than what I'd pay for whatever that NFL package is.

Any advice on this economic question?

Joemailman
09-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Returned to practice:
Henry Pearson (p/s)

Not practicing:

Christian Watson (warmed up, worked out outside)
Aaron Jones
Quay Walker
David Bakhtiari
Eric Stokes (PUP)
Luke Tenuta (IR)

There was no sign of Aaron Jones during the portion open to the media. Jayden Reed did practice and looked fine.

Michael Jordan was here practicing. He’s #79. (23 and 45 were taken).

Joemailman
09-13-2023, 02:01 PM
Much of the country will get Packers at Atlanta. Kenny Albert and Jonathan Vilma with the call. LP of Michigan, and northwest, including Alaska, will get Seattle at Detroit. Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olsen with the call. Most of Illinois will get Chicago at Tampa Bay Joe Davis and Daryl Johnston with the call.

https://506sports.com/2023/02-FOX.png

Joemailman
09-13-2023, 06:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F572YcEXsAAp2BT?format=webp&name=small

RashanGary
09-13-2023, 09:36 PM
After all these years of watching football, looking at the injury report never stops feeling like a full blown windmill kick to the ball sack. Fuck.

RashanGary
09-13-2023, 09:37 PM
And I swear to god, yeah, there are like two times a year where I’m like, haha, you’re missing your guys about the other team. But I swear it’s 90% of the time our disadvantage.

Fritz
09-14-2023, 08:50 AM
I don't know the reality of that - it does seem that way, but is it just our impression? - but I am pretty sure the Packers have a reputation for being more careful than most teams with injuries.

Sparkey
09-14-2023, 10:15 AM
I'm going to have to read up on these Falcons, and also do some research to see where the game will be shown and on what services. I'm contemplating buying some kind of package so I can see all the Packer games, but that's a big investment. Maybe, being single again, I could just go to sports bars and watch from there. The beers and snacks and tips over the course of a season might still be less than what I'd pay for whatever that NFL package is.

Any advice on this economic question?

If you're purchasing NFL Sunday Ticket without YouTube TV (via YouTube Primetime Channels), it'll cost $449 per season.

If you spend more than 27.00 bucks at the bar for each game, then it is worth it.
( assuming your fridge is already stocked. )

Joemailman
09-14-2023, 10:21 AM
If you're purchasing NFL Sunday Ticket without YouTube TV (via YouTube Primetime Channels), it'll cost $449 per season.

If you spend more than 27.00 bucks at the bar for each game, then it is worth it.
( assuming your fridge is already stocked. )

Maybe not when you consider at least 6 games will be televised nationally.

Sparkey
09-14-2023, 10:34 AM

But you can't do this at a bar ?

https://i2.wp.com/thebrandedsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/al-bundy-classic.jpg?fit=1024%2C630&ssl=1

run pMc
09-14-2023, 12:06 PM
I think Aaron Jones will be available to play, probably not Walker or Watson. :( I think we'll know more after today's injury report comes out and Friday's for sure. This early in the season, I'd expect anyone who got dinged up even slightly will get a break from the Wed practice.

Joemailman
09-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

#Packers LB Quay Walker remains in concussion protocol, but he is practicing today. A very good step in the right direction, and a sign he might need available Sunday against the Falcons. His presence especially important with all of the athletic playmaker on Atlanta’s offense.

Fritz
09-14-2023, 12:23 PM
But you can't do this at a bar ?

https://i2.wp.com/thebrandedsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/al-bundy-classic.jpg?fit=1024%2C630&ssl=1

You can't? Whuut?

Thanks Sparkey - I am sure I can nurse a beer or two and one snack for a game, as long as I tip the waitress well. Between that and six games on national TV (though I don't get ESPN), it's probably not worth $500 to buy the NFL pass or whatever it's called.

QBME
09-14-2023, 01:56 PM

Plus Fritzy gets both Lions games on the local channel.

Joemailman
09-14-2023, 02:19 PM
Plus Fritzy gets both Lions games on the local channel.

Actually, both Lions games are on Thursday Night this year. First one is on Amazon Prime. Second one is on Thanksgiving which everyone will see.

sharpe1027
09-14-2023, 02:54 PM
If all you care about is $, you can milk one beer the entire game and come out ahead every time. That also means you're not able to watch later or drink more than one drink. Yo have to get your ass out of the house for the kickoff and stick to your one drink for the entire game.

Joemailman
09-14-2023, 04:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6A39_eXUAACC1f?format=jpg&name=medium

Fritz
09-14-2023, 08:10 PM
Good advice all. One fly in the ointment: because of a dispute, if you have an antenna and not cable you can't get Fox here. So even for Fox games, I either go to the bar or buy Sling for $40 a month.

This Sunday I'm meeting an old colleague to watch the game at a sports bar. Go from there.

Joemailman
09-15-2023, 02:03 PM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL
Bakhtiari, Jones, Quay, Watson all questionable per MLF.

Of note:

-Quay not out of concussion protocol yet
-Watson did practice
-Jones did not practice
-Bakhtiari was not questionable last week but MLF said he’ll probably be questionable the rest of the season
-Emanuel Wilson next man up if Jones can’t go

Joemailman
09-15-2023, 02:39 PM
Nobody listed as Out for Packers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6FwDdkWwAA4n63?format=jpg&name=large

Fritz
09-15-2023, 06:27 PM
I'm going to guess the Packers will be conservative with Watson and Jones - heck, with all of them. Why would you risk a long-term injury to any of them? Keep Watson and Jones out, and obviously Walker has to clear with doctors so it'll be their call mostly, and as for Bakh, that probably does depend on how he's feeling on Saturday or so.

As for the Falcons, sounds like they have a solid defense and a stable of running backs with a good offensive line. This should be a good test.

QBME
09-15-2023, 08:33 PM
Here’s the gig
It will be a real test to go into Atlanta without
Jones
Watson
Etc
And perform
Win or lose, just perform

Game two

Upnorth
09-16-2023, 06:49 AM
Let's hope they try to pass a lot. They can pass block and have a rookie. Unfortunately they have greatvtun blocking and rbs. They will try what the eagles did to vikes I think.
I'm fairly confident our o will be OK vs their d. Hopefully dillion runs forward instead of what we saw last game.

Fritz
09-16-2023, 08:06 AM
AJ Dillon needs to step up instead of fall down.

texaspackerbacker
09-16-2023, 11:27 AM
I'm going to guess the Packers will be conservative with Watson and Jones - heck, with all of them. Why would you risk a long-term injury to any of them? Keep Watson and Jones out, and obviously Walker has to clear with doctors so it'll be their call mostly, and as for Bakh, that probably does depend on how he's feeling on Saturday or so.

As for the Falcons, sounds like they have a solid defense and a stable of running backs with a good offensive line. This should be a good test.

Probably true about Watson and maybe Jones too. That seems to be LaFleur's history, for better or worse. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of Wilson and Taylor. Right also about Dillon hahahaha.

As for the Falcons, I don't think they are as solid as you're saying. I'm expecting another good game for the Packer offense, and I'm hoping the Packer D is as solid as last week. I don't see the Falcons as being any better than the Bears minus Fields, and of course, they don't have a weapon like him.

The Shadow
09-16-2023, 01:58 PM
AJ Dillon needs to step up instead of fall down.

Perhaps having a 247 lb power back run laterally is not a great idea.

Fritz
09-16-2023, 03:10 PM
Perhaps having a 247 lb power back run laterally is not a great idea.

As we say in Michigan, he should run shtraight.

Joemailman
09-16-2023, 06:37 PM
Quay Walker has cleared concussion protocol and will play.

RashanGary
09-16-2023, 07:35 PM
Quay Walker has cleared concussion protocol and will play.

You know, he’s probably not a GREAT player and we probably wouldn’t miss him too badly…. But I really like having so many elite athletes on the field on defense. So I’m glad he’s back.

Joemailman
09-16-2023, 11:03 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Aaron Jones and Christian Watson both not expected to play tomorrow, per
@AdamSchefter
. Matt LaFleur has a chance to lock up Coach of the Year in Week 2 lol