PDA

View Full Version : DAVID BACKTIARI----MORE DRAMA------IS IT REAL ????

Bretsky
09-17-2023, 11:41 AM
As many of you know Bach has been over the top outspoken that every stadium should be natural grass. When AROD went down he used social media to pound that table again

LAST WEEK when interviewed he asked if he was going to play the games on regular turf and he basically stated.....he doesn't feel like that is an appropriate question to address

IN OTHER WORDS, he dodged the question.... which creates warning signals.

Honestly, he played pretty great last week (after not practicing at all the previous week). To our knowledge he didn't aggravate anything last week in the game

He didn't practice at all this week so nothing was aggravated; who as Vince would say, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ?

This is the topic on Packer Pregame. Most feel like he's not playing cause the game is on turf

IF true, that is NOT GOOD.

ThunderDan
09-17-2023, 11:53 AM
Bahk really fucked his knee up. Tough rehab to get back. I think what we are seeing is the best we will get from him.

The Pack will be extremely careful with his playing time.

red
09-17-2023, 12:15 PM
should have traded him to our east coast team for a first

he's an NBA player at this point, plays sometime when he wants

Bretsky
09-17-2023, 12:17 PM
Bahk really fucked his knee up. Tough rehab to get back. I think what we are seeing is the best we will get from him.

The Pack will be extremely careful with his playing time.

Do you think this was the Packers call ?

ThunderDan
09-17-2023, 01:29 PM
Do you think this was the Packers call ?

I do. They know the knee is never going to be “good” again. They aren’t going to risk it.

Teamcheez1
09-17-2023, 05:19 PM
Bakh should be sent packing.
Get the most out of him you can this year and then tell him goodbye
Should have got rid of him before this year.

You’ve had almost three years to recover and you can’t play one game on turf?
Bakh can go f*** off. I would be happy to tell him to his face.

The front office screwed up on this one.

RashanGary
09-17-2023, 05:38 PM
Bakh should be sent packing.
Get the most out of him you can this year and then tell him goodbye
Should have got rid of him before this year.

You’ve had almost three years to recover and you can’t play one game on turf?
Bakh can go f*** off. I would be happy to tell him to his face.

The front office screwed up on this one.

Bro, you need to relax. Bakh was never an elite athlete but always found a way to be one of the best. Even with a permanently damaged knee, he’s still playing well. It’s a long year and he’s our best LT. A game off was a good move. He’ll be ready next week.

Rutnstrut
09-17-2023, 06:48 PM
They should have traded him before the season started. Now he's just filling the drama queen spot the AR left.

bobblehead
09-17-2023, 07:01 PM
I do. They know the knee is never going to be “good” again. They aren’t going to risk it.

I think for a sharp guy you are ignoring all the evidence.

bobblehead
09-17-2023, 07:03 PM
Oh.....and I said he is done with football and just earning every dollar he can off this contract. I stand by that call.

Fosco33
09-17-2023, 07:08 PM
Oh.....and I said he is done with football and just earning every dollar he can off this contract. I stand by that call.

The Aaron injury hurts his chances of going to NY for draft picks.

I didn’t want to resign him before…

Bretsky
09-17-2023, 07:27 PM

While we don't know 100%, the evidence sure seems to be with you.

Matty Floor was very evasive with the question when he was asked about it right after the game.

Normally he has prepped pretty politically correct answers. Not today

Bretsky
09-17-2023, 07:31 PM
Bro, you need to relax. Bakh was never an elite athlete but always found a way to be one of the best. Even with a permanently damaged knee, he’s still playing well. It’s a long year and he’s our best LT. A game off was a good move. He’ll be ready next week.

It is a long year; but I question this as well. He didn't practice once the week before the last game. He didn't practice this week leading up to the game. Maybe he's just not going to play on turf at all this year.

If he was medically cleared to play, and decided not to on his own, should he really get paid for the week ? None of us know for sure and I'm guessing GB will try to cover it up if this is the case. We're probably not going to know.

RashanGary
09-17-2023, 07:40 PM
I’m good if he never plays on turf this year. His knee is shot. They’re getting the last drops out of an elite player who’s knee is shot. It is what it is. And it’s smart.

Joemailman
09-17-2023, 07:57 PM
I expect Bakhtiari to hang it up after this year. His knee is obviously wrecked. He needs to start thinking about what his life at 50, or maybe even 40 will be like.

call_me_ishmael
09-18-2023, 01:35 AM
It'll be interesting to hear what the man himself has to say about this. I doubt he hangs 'em up personally unless he's cut and can't find another big contract.

Fritz
09-18-2023, 07:33 AM
Bretsky, you're being overly dramatic. The guy is clearly damaged goods at this point. My guess is he'll play when he can, and mostly not on turf - he seems to have a passionate hatred of it - and when he does play, he'll play well. Tex is full of shit that there was no drop off with Bakh not out there. Rasheed Wallace got his ass handed to him many, many times, and it couldn't have helped the play book that they needed to keep a tight end on the left side to help block.

He's probably done after this year, if he doesn't re-hurt his knee before. But it is what it is, and I don't think he's as big a dick as you make him out to be.

Teamcheez1
09-18-2023, 07:43 AM
4 out of our last 7 games are on turf.
If there is still playoff hope, will he step up?

Joemailman
09-18-2023, 07:59 AM
His issues might not have anything to do with turf. His knee might not be able to take the pounding of 2 games in a row. If so, not a great situation. You'd like to have some continuity in your OL lineup. Walker might be okay there yet. It was his 1st start. I think his most natural position might be RT though.

Fritz
09-18-2023, 08:07 AM
Yosh Nijman could be making himself some real coin if he'd step up and get out of the doghouse.

run pMc
09-18-2023, 03:24 PM
Bahktiari is, when available, still a very good LT

Turf will ALWAYS be an issue for him.

10 games of Bahktiari is better than zero.

10 games for $40M is a LOT

I don't think he's alone in hating turf. The big linemen don't like it, it's hard on the joints, and those who get tackled and landing on it also say it's like concrete. Players who wear molded cleats (mostly QBs and kickers IIRC) can get their feet stuck in it and get injured (see: Rodgers, Aaron) as well. Some of the smaller/quicker players like it because they can really cut and move fast on it, but that's about it. If pro soccer players won't play on it, I'm not sure why football players have to. The main reason stadiums have it is so they have a Taylor Swift concert on it two days before the game and not worry about it being trashed and trampled.

I don't think this is a big drama or distraction. The team is just working with Bahktiari's knee as much as they can so he plays as much as he can. I think if there was a playoff game on turf he'd give it a go, but his knee might not react well in the days/weeks following that game.
Given they reworked his contract a bit and paid out a chunk of his salary already means they want him dressing for GB and protecting Love's blindside... for this year. I don't know if he is on the roster next year, especially if they can get something from Rasheed Walker or another OT.

I'm not sure what a team is going to give you for an aging LT who might be able to play the majority of your season. Jets play on turf, I don't think he'd want to play there tbh, even with his buddy Rodgers.

Joemailman
09-18-2023, 03:44 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Packers coach Matt LaFleur said David Bakhtiari had swelling in his knee leading up to Sunday's game.

"His knee is injured," LaFleur said.

LaFleur does not believe that Bakhtiari's absence was related to turf and that he wouldn't have played if the game was on grass, either.

RashanGary
09-18-2023, 04:21 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Packers coach Matt LaFleur said David Bakhtiari had swelling in his knee leading up to Sunday's game.

LaFleur does not believe that Bakhtiari's absence was related to turf and that he wouldn't have played if the game was on grass, either.

He has swelling I’m sure every week. His knee is jacked. I’ll bet the turf played a role. He’s already a gigantic injury risk. No need to make it worse by playing on turf.

Bretsky
09-18-2023, 05:14 PM
Bretsky, you're being overly dramatic. The guy is clearly damaged goods at this point. My guess is he'll play when he can, and mostly not on turf - he seems to have a passionate hatred of it - and when he does play, he'll play well. Tex is full of shit that there was no drop off with Bakh not out there. Rasheed Wallace got his ass handed to him many, many times, and it couldn't have helped the play book that they needed to keep a tight end on the left side to help block.

He's probably done after this year, if he doesn't re-hurt his knee before. But it is what it is, and I don't think he's as big a dick as you make him out to be.

I think if Sundays game was on grass he would have played and at this point gb doesn’t know how to spin this

Bretsky
09-18-2023, 05:16 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Now here is the scripted response I would have expected right after the game. He needed an extra
Day to come up with it. Back should retire

beveaux1
09-18-2023, 07:47 PM
Now here is the scripted response I would have expected right after the game. He needed an extra
Day to come up with it. Back should retire

If he retires, I believe we still have to pay him. Better to keep him on The roster and play him when available. Cut him next year if he doesn’t retire on his own, which is what will probably happen.

RashanGary
09-18-2023, 09:40 PM
Retire and pay back the prorated part of his signing bonus….. nah. Next year is the first time we have a real chance to cut him. And that’s what will happen.

He’s still good though. And it keeps wear and tear off of Rasheed.

NewsBruin
09-19-2023, 10:08 AM
From what I've read, even if we hound Bakh for the prorated part of the signing bonus after retirement, that wouldn't get credited back to our salary cap.

It seems to be the custom when someone retires to let them keep the whole of their signing bonus, even though it's written in the agreements that a team can try to claw back the prorated portion. If that won't affect our salary cap, then the stank it puts on our reputation for free agents and extensions isn't worth the Monopoly Money.

Fosco33
09-19-2023, 10:23 AM
It’s a strange precedent…

What about weather. Maybe I don’t like playing on rainy or snowy days. Or when it’s not/humid.

Or short weeks.

Or Thursdays.

I think it’s terrible on NFL for turf fields - but this is a mess waiting to happen imo.

call_me_ishmael
09-19-2023, 10:40 AM
There's a lot of speculation about insane things here. Is there any reason to think he didn't want to play on turf, or that he's only going to play every other game, or any of the other wild possibilities here? Maybe he really just tweaked it. Who knows. I feel like there is a lot of assuming the worst in folks in here. Bak is an all-world .001% guy in the general population aka a very impressive person in all facets of life. I highly doubt he would mail it in.

RashanGary
09-19-2023, 12:20 PM
There's a lot of speculation about insane things here. Is there any reason to think he didn't want to play on turf, or that he's only going to play every other game, or any of the other wild possibilities here? Maybe he really just tweaked it. Who knows. I feel like there is a lot of assuming the worst in folks in here. Bak is an all-world .001% guy in the general population aka a very impressive person in all facets of life. I highly doubt he would mail it in.

Facts in this situation:

Bakh has a knee that kept him out for a whole season and then when he tried to come back a year later was down again until the start of the next season (18 months post injury)

Even after 18 months he was still having issues practicing and consistently playing on the knee

Even now, 2.5 years since the injury, he is having flare ups on the knee that prevent him from practicing and sometimes playing

Bakh has spent the last several years panning for change in the NFLs surfaces, calling for grass fields across the board. He claims synthetic surfaces cause injury.

What types of things are far fetched exaggerations or assumptions in this thread?

bobblehead
09-19-2023, 02:14 PM

Seriously? Other than the fact he has been screaming it at the top of his lungs for 2 years, no....there is nothing else to suggest it.

call_me_ishmael
09-19-2023, 03:47 PM
But he played 2 out of 3 games on turf last year? Not liking something and thinking it's wrong is quite different than not showing up and doing your job. Historically, he has played on turf despite not liking it.

Bretsky
09-19-2023, 08:31 PM

I think you are putting your head in the sand and closing your eyes

bobblehead
09-20-2023, 10:49 AM
But he played 2 out of 3 games on turf last year? Not liking something and thinking it's wrong is quite different than not showing up and doing your job. Historically, he has played on turf despite not liking it.

If I were guessing this was his protest to his buddy Rodgers blowing his Achilles on turf last monday. If Rodgers didn't get hurt I suspect he would have played. I have no direct evidence of this, just human nature, and the fact he was livid and outspoken after Rodgers went down.

Fosco33
09-20-2023, 11:50 AM
If I were guessing this was his protest to his buddy Rodgers blowing his Achilles on turf last monday. If Rodgers didn't get hurt I suspect he would have played. I have no direct evidence of this, just human nature, and the fact he was livid and outspoken after Rodgers went down.

That’s my worry. Why not rain/snow/Thur or any other non football injury but increased odds of injury as ‘hold out’.

texaspackerbacker
09-20-2023, 11:55 AM
It's well known that I'm far from Bakhtiari's biggest fan, but there's a whole lot of assuming facts not in evidence going on in here.

SudsMcBucky
09-20-2023, 12:05 PM
It's well known that I'm far from Bakhtiari's biggest fan, but there's a whole lot of assuming facts not in evidence going on in here.

Meh, we're all just a bunch of part time keyboard warriors on some random message board. We don't work for legitimate new outlets like TMZ.

run pMc
09-20-2023, 12:27 PM
I don't think it's a protest or holdout. Bakhtiari isn't a malingerer and by all accounts has bought into being in GB and working hard. Nothing he has said indicates otherwise either. His vendetta vs. turf goes back much earlier than this year, he's just more vocal about it.

I think his knee doesn't react well to playing on turf, and it's also sore. They put him on the inactive list for the ATL for both reasons, and that's probably it.
Hopefully he can play vs. NO for the home opener.

I wouldn't read too much into it beyond that. Not yet anyway.

Fritz
09-20-2023, 01:35 PM
I don't think it's a protest or holdout. Bakhtiari isn't a malingerer and by all accounts has bought into being in GB and working hard. Nothing he has said indicates otherwise either. His vendetta vs. turf goes back much earlier than this year, he's just more vocal about it.

I think his knee doesn't react well to playing on turf, and it's also sore. They put him on the inactive list for the ATL for both reasons, and that's probably it.
Hopefully he can play vs. NO for the home opener.

I wouldn't read too much into it beyond that. Not yet anyway.

He's going to be struggling all year to get onto the field. Probably play a game, sit one or two out, play a game. His knee just is never going to allow him to play full-time all-the-time football any more.

I'm going to guess he'll play in the home opener. But after that, he'll likely miss.

So Rasheed Walker and Yosh Nijman better be ready for on-again/off-again playing time. Nijman can make himself some coin if he plays well.

call_me_ishmael
09-20-2023, 02:17 PM
I think you are putting your head in the sand and closing your eyes

Maybe, but is one game enough data to go off of yet? I really don't think so. People are fabricating a pattern that doesn't exist at this point. The reality is we don't know. Once there's a pattern, then we have something to go off one. A single game is not a pattern.

run pMc
09-20-2023, 02:26 PM
He's going to be struggling all year to get onto the field. Probably play a game, sit one or two out, play a game. His knee just is never going to allow him to play full-time all-the-time football any more.

I'm going to guess he'll play in the home opener. But after that, he'll likely miss.

So Rasheed Walker and Yosh Nijman better be ready for on-again/off-again playing time. Nijman can make himself some coin if he plays well.

Agree with this -- he'll continue to struggle to be healthy enough to play, and in the offseason Gute will decide to cut bait on him for the cap space.
It's not smart to carry $40M (or whatever) on the cap for a LT that can't regularly play, even if he's elite. IIRC they'll eat 20M and gain about as much by releasing him this offseason, and that's what I expect them to do. Put it this way: would you rather keep Bakh or Aaron Jones? You can cut one to keep the other.

As much as I'd like to say "trade him", I don't think anyone would take Bakhtiari - he's damaged goods and might not even pass a physical (thereby voiding the trade). Maybe you get a conditional R7 for him, but... meh. He's been a great player for them, and his injury ruined his career and possibly prevented a SB run in 2020, but I think this is his last year in GB.

texaspackerbacker
09-20-2023, 09:44 PM

I'm wondering why they played Walker ahead of Yosh. Yosh did all right last season, and Walker definitely did not.

call_me_ishmael
09-21-2023, 12:10 AM
https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1704583662153429225?t=ShnIpCaIEfy3qDBAxN9e0A&s=19

Also, he's not expected to play this weekend at home.

run pMc
09-21-2023, 12:43 PM
I'm wondering why they played Walker ahead of Yosh. Yosh did all right last season, and Walker definitely did not.

Because he's younger, cheaper, and plays to the whistle. Also, he's developing nicely to where he's a fringe starter at OT already. I think they know what Njiman is and he's hit his ceiling, whereas Walker is still getting better. This team is all about developing young talent and upside right now.

Njiman is rumored to be a little softspoken and not as nasty, and I think the coaches were hoping to see more fire out of him with competition vs. Tom and others. He's a luxury to have, but with Bakhtiari's knee issues probably worth it. For now.

Fosco33
09-21-2023, 12:48 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/21/packers-lt-david-bakhtiari-addresses-knee-injury-playing-on-turf-week-3-status/

Guiness
09-21-2023, 03:29 PM
Because he's younger, cheaper, and plays to the whistle. Also, he's developing nicely to where he's a fringe starter at OT already. I think they know what Njiman is and he's hit his ceiling, whereas Walker is still getting better. This team is all about developing young talent and upside right now.

Njiman is rumored to be a little softspoken and not as nasty, and I think the coaches were hoping to see more fire out of him with competition vs. Tom and others. He's a luxury to have, but with Bakhtiari's knee issues probably worth it. For now.

That is absolutely a thing. I knew a kid who had all the tools - 6'4" or so, played guard/tackle at 260 in HS and youth city league and dominated. ALL the running plays followed him. Stupid fast, coaches had him run with the RBs in practice because it was silly for him to run with the other linemen.

Got to college, bulked up to 295lb...but never started. First guy off the bench at all 4 OL positions, but never started. Just wasn't damn mean enough, didn't want to cause pain.

bobblehead
09-22-2023, 04:25 AM
Nijman was in and out of the game several times. Walker was not good. Yosh pissed someone off to the point they are playing the lesser talent at this point.

KYPack
09-22-2023, 11:09 PM
One of the reasons for Walkers being subbed out was they were running Walker was lining up as a TE. He had to report in as an eligible receiver. Then he had to leave the field for the next play bc they needed a regular TE in the game. Can't say that he played great, but I'd think he is very close to Nijiman's level. They have to be looking at allowing Yosh to walk in the off season. So there a lot of balls in play in this situation.

bobblehead
09-23-2023, 12:24 PM
One of the reasons for Walkers being subbed out was they were running Walker was lining up as a TE. He had to report in as an eligible receiver. Then he had to leave the field for the next play bc they needed a regular TE in the game. Can't say that he played great, but I'd think he is very close to Nijiman's level. They have to be looking at allowing Yosh to walk in the off season. So there a lot of balls in play in this situation.

I saw that regarding Walker coming out. Strange situation. They probably have them ranked pretty close, but agree they won't be matching what Nijman will get offered so they are getting Walker snaps. If they thought there was a real gap between the 2 they would have used someone else in that TE eligible role so Walker could stay on the field.

Fritz
09-24-2023, 08:27 AM
I read the transcript of that interview Bakh did, and found his comments on Guter to be fascinating. Bakh said he's been able to go in, sit down, talk to Gute, vent (about the press, I think) - and then he said Guter was really good, very open, a good listener, that they'd had really good conversations. About 180 degree difference from the way that Rodgers seemed to think about Guter.

run pMc
09-29-2023, 11:05 AM
Bakhtiari on IR.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/9/28/23895182/green-bay-packers-news-david-bakhtiari-injury-update-knee-surgery-salary-cap-dead-cap-contract

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport it sounds like rest of season:

Here’s my understanding of where this all stands. Sources say he had a knee scope yesterday. So, that was the first surgery. My understanding is that first surgery was a precursor to the second surgery, which should happen a little down the line here — a little more of a, I would say, substantial surgery, one aimed at fixing the cartilage issue that has plagued him for a little more than a year.

Bakhtiari is 31 years old. He’s coming into the final year of his contract. From what I am told, he does not want to retire. He wants to keep playing. He wants to keep playing for the Packers and these surgeries which will likely take him out the rest of this season, barring some significant development, are likely to put him on the field to start the 2024 football season.

They converted $15M this year to bonus for cap space, that's not looking like a great move. He'll count $41M against the cap next year.

Bakhtiari signed a four-year, $92 million extension in 2020 that has paid him out $71 million of those dollars since just before his initial ACL tear. Since that injury, Bakhtiari has only played in 13 games for Green Bay, recording 679 offensive snaps for the team.

call_me_ishmael
09-29-2023, 11:46 AM
I read the transcript of that interview Bakh did, and found his comments on Guter to be fascinating. Bakh said he's been able to go in, sit down, talk to Gute, vent (about the press, I think) - and then he said Guter was really good, very open, a good listener, that they'd had really good conversations. About 180 degree difference from the way that Rodgers seemed to think about Guter.

Agreed

bobblehead
09-29-2023, 11:55 AM
I can't imagine offering him any kind of a deal for 2024 short of the league vet minimum (after we cut him of course). He has made a mountain of money to sit. If another team wants to gamble that this is finally the surgery to repair his knee let them.

call_me_ishmael
09-29-2023, 02:17 PM
I can't imagine offering him any kind of a deal for 2024 short of the league vet minimum (after we cut him of course). He has made a mountain of money to sit. If another team wants to gamble that this is finally the surgery to repair his knee let them.

He's under contract for next year. I doubt they cut him, look at that cap hit. There is no upside to cutting him. Why not hope he bounces back and signs a big contract and you get a #2 compensation pick?

SudsMcBucky
09-29-2023, 02:28 PM
He's under contract for next year. I doubt they cut him, look at that cap hit. There is no upside to cutting him. Why not hope he bounces back and signs a big contract and you get a #2 compensation pick?

This isn't correct. There's $21.5MM in cap savings if he's cut after this year. If cut, they would take a $19.1MM cap hit. If they keep him w/o restructuring, his salary would be an additional $21MM, for a total of over $40MM. That just isn't feasible.

Guiness
09-29-2023, 02:31 PM
Maybe, but is one game enough data to go off of yet? I really don't think so. People are fabricating a pattern that doesn't exist at this point. The reality is we don't know. Once there's a pattern, then we have something to go off one. A single game is not a pattern.

Arthroscopic surgery and IR. We can be pretty sure this wasn't drama now.

Fritz
09-29-2023, 03:06 PM
It's hard to imagine them bringing him back for forty mill, if they could save half that by cutting him after the season or whenever.

This next offseason: offensive linemen, safeties, and interviewing defensive coordinators to get the right one this time. That's what's needed.

RashanGary
09-29-2023, 04:04 PM
Arthroscopic surgery and IR. We can be pretty sure this wasn't drama now.

Even if he didn’t want to play on turf with an iffy knee, that’s not drama imo. Bretsky likes to create drama :lol:

call_me_ishmael
09-29-2023, 09:10 PM
This isn't correct. There's $21.5MM in cap savings if he's cut after this year. If cut, they would take a $19.1MM cap hit. If they keep him w/o restructuring, his salary would be an additional $21MM, for a total of over $40MM. That just isn't feasible.

Gotcha. I must have been looking at the wrong year.

texaspackerbacker
09-30-2023, 01:25 AM
hahahahahaha shameful the way ya'all are turning on your poor sacred cow.

Bretsky
09-30-2023, 12:54 PM
Even if he didn’t want to play on turf with an iffy knee, that’s not drama imo. Bretsky likes to create drama :lol:

That is a very fair comment; I like to stir the pot/maybe create drama/ set up tough polls that might lead to arguments and spirited debate.

Truth be told, I'm bored with the facts and number; I do that for a living.

I was CONTROVERSY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I want Marvin Harrison Jr in Green n Gold; now how do we make that happen ????????????

bobblehead
09-30-2023, 04:18 PM

Who is turning on him? We are acknowledging that the situation sucks and his knee is ruined. Only you claim that he was never any good.

bobblehead
09-30-2023, 04:20 PM
That is a very fair comment; I like to stir the pot/maybe create drama/ set up tough polls that might lead to arguments and spirited debate.

Truth be told, I'm bored with the facts and number; I do that for a living.

I was CONTROVERSY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I want Marvin Harrison Jr in Green n Gold; now how do we make that happen ????????????

By trading the picks that should net us a new LT, RB and maybe C. If we do that we might get a shiny Marvin. Or just suck even worse than we did Thursday should do it.

call_me_ishmael
09-30-2023, 10:36 PM
How did 6' Marvin Harrison produce a beast like 6'4" MHJ?

Bretsky
10-01-2023, 12:52 AM
By trading the picks that should net us a new LT, RB and maybe C. If we do that we might get a shiny Marvin. Or just suck even worse than we did Thursday should do it.

Embrace the tank

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2023, 04:10 AM
Shit happens. Teams have bad games. The Packers have lost to teams they shouldn't have lost to before. McCarthy pulled that crap too many times - and he did the same thing for his new team just last week. So far, it hasn't happened much with LaFleur. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. And surprise surprise, a lot of the same pathetic fools yet again are panicking and stupidly advocating tearing down to rebuild the way the perpetual loser teams do - sheeeesh.

And regarding the subject of this thread, ya'all's precious sacred cow that is now getting piled on to, I never said he was bad. just that he was overrated, both in his performance and in his importance to winning games. I suppose it's understandable that a lot of ya'all would think the way you do, given the propensity for swallowing and regurgitating the shit put out by most of the damn media as well as rating organizations like PFF whose crap so often flies in the face of what is observable. Clearly, CMI is not the only one with that kind of a mentality.

The telling evidence with Bakhtiari is that when he was not playing, we won a helluva lot of games. I'm sure the lame-assed truth squad types will point it out if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure the Packers' record was damn close to as good without that sacred cow as with him.

ThunderDan
10-01-2023, 09:51 AM

How is discussing his injury turning on Bac?

No one here is saying Bac is not playing well when he is in the game except you.

It comes down to can the Packers afford to pay anyone $20M to sit on the bench for the year. He has play in 13 of the last 38 games in the regular season starting in 2021.

sharpe1027
10-01-2023, 10:14 AM
How is discussing his injury turning on Bac?

No one here is saying Bac is not playing well when he is in the game except you.

It comes down to can the Packers afford to pay anyone $20M to sit on the bench for the year. He has play in 13 of the last 38 games in the regular season starting in 2021.

Tex misrepresents what others say in a way that makes them seem extreme and stupid to make his arguments. It's frustrating... if you give a shit what he says.

ThunderDan
10-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Tex misrepresents what others say in a way that makes them seem extreme and stupid to make his arguments. It's frustrating... if you give a shit what he says.

I know. I just love giving him shit. It is so easy to push his buttons and make him go on his rants.

RashanGary
10-01-2023, 11:37 AM
Tex is the Packerrats skip Bayless!

Bretsky
10-01-2023, 11:47 AM
Tex is the Packerrats skip Bayless!

MEDIA WHORE :))

run pMc
10-01-2023, 12:35 PM
goddamn worthless media pukes

lol

I like the Skip Bayless comp.

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2023, 04:31 PM
Nobody expresses more hate for the God damned media more than me, but I do appreciate some that some are trying hahahaha.

I don't watch Bayliss, but I understand he hates the Cowboys, right?

RashanGary
10-01-2023, 05:51 PM
Nobody expresses more hate for the God damned media more than me, but I do appreciate some that some are trying hahahaha.

I don't watch Bayliss, but I understand he hates the Cowboys, right?

He probably doesn’t hate the cowboys or Aaron Rodgers or anyone that he talks incessant shit about. He just does it for attention to his brand.

The media personality he uses to get clicks, constantly stir trouble and controversy and get attention are similar to your natural personality so that’s why I came up with the comp.

texaspackerbacker
10-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Oh heaven forbid, a media puke who doesn't believe the shit he spews? I thought all of them were icons of wonderfulness for the "ya'all crowd" in here.

sharpe1027
10-02-2023, 07:17 AM
Oh heaven forbid, a media puke who doesn't believe the shit he spews? I thought all of them were icons of wonderfulness for the "ya'all crowd" in here.

Who said they thought the media was wonderful? Oh that's right, nobody. Don't let facts get in the way of making shit up to claim others are stupid while you think you're smarter.

run pMc
10-02-2023, 07:26 AM
Don't let facts get in the way of making shit up to claim others are stupid while you think you're smarter.

Sadly, this describes Tex to a T.

jklowan
10-02-2023, 12:08 PM
Is David retiring today???? Heard he is scheduling a Press Conference for this afternoon? Any locals with intel

texaspackerbacker
10-02-2023, 01:56 PM
run pMc, yes I think I and you and a solid majority of the posters in hear are smarter than the huge majority of those media pukes,

That's true in general and especially when it comes to commenting on what's good and bad for the Packers.

I hear Bakhtiari had or will have his 4th surgery now? Unfortunate for him that it was needed.

bobblehead
10-02-2023, 02:31 PM
Is David retiring today???? Heard he is scheduling a Press Conference for this afternoon? Any locals with intel

Why would he. His salary is locked in this season for anything other than him retiring I believe.

run pMc
10-02-2023, 03:31 PM
Bahktiari had his knee scoped last week, word is he'll need another operation to repair cartilage in his knee. That would be 5 operations on the same knee in 3 years. This keeps up and he'll be walking with a cane at age 40.

I haven't heard of a press conference, but I did hear MLF say that he was going to let DB speak for himself regarding all the reporter's questions. I think MLF is sick of being asked about Bakhtiari every day, but I also think he kind of brought some of it on himself with all the cloak-and-dagger nonsense.

As much as I think DB is a great LT, I'm skeptical of his availability now and in the future. Given his cap hit, it will be a Rubik's cube of maneuvering to keep him, and I suspect Gute and Co are ready to move on.

Sparkey
10-02-2023, 04:28 PM
Bahktiari had his knee scoped last week, word is he'll need another operation to repair cartilage in his knee. That would be 5 operations on the same knee in 3 years. This keeps up and he'll be walking with a cane at age 40.

I haven't heard of a press conference, but I did hear MLF say that he was going to let DB speak for himself regarding all the reporter's questions. I think MLF is sick of being asked about Bakhtiari every day, but I also think he kind of brought some of it on himself with all the cloak-and-dagger nonsense.

As much as I think DB is a great LT, I'm skeptical of his availability now and in the future. Given his cap hit, it will be a Rubik's cube of maneuvering to keep him, and I suspect Gute and Co are ready to move on.

He will never play another snap with Green Bay.

ThunderDan
10-02-2023, 09:05 PM
Why would he. His salary is locked in this season for anything other than him retiring I believe.

Yes, this is correct. If you are on the roster for the 1st game your contract for that year is guaranteed.

That is why some free agents don’t get signed to the roster until after week 1. Then the contract is paid out week by week. If you get cut, they don’t pay you.

This why guaranteed money and signing bonuses in contracts are so important. If you sign a contract with no guaranteed money, you don’t get paid for any year after you get cut.

NewsBruin
10-02-2023, 11:38 PM
Yes, this is correct. If you are on the roster for the 1st game your contract for that year is guaranteed.

If you have four accrued seasons of experience (https://www.profootballnetwork.com/explaining-the-nfl-vested-veteran-week-1-rule-how-it-could-impact-free-agents/). An accrued season is six games on active/inactive/injured reserve/PUP during that season.

Bahk clearly has that Vested Veteran status, but just wanted to clarify that it's not automatic for everyone.

run pMc
10-03-2023, 07:53 AM
they also converted $15M of his salary to bonus this year, so he's been paid that already.

There is NO benefit to the cap if you cut him this year. The offseason is a different story, when he counts $40M against the cap but is due for about another $19M. They can get about $21M cap savings cutting him then.

Nobody is going to trade for him. Teams aren't going to give up a draft pick for a guy who is (at best) week-to-week the entire season, and he might not pass a physical anyway.

Fritz
10-03-2023, 09:10 AM
That about sums it up. He's very, very likely going to be cut this offseason. Would he come back to GB for a shot at a comeback on a minimum salary? It's hard to imagine Green Bay going in that direction. But you never know. For Bakh, it's about comfort level. Sure, he could sign a minimum contract elsewhere, but it'd be a whole new situation for him. The only place I can imagine him going would be this east coast team with a QB rehabbing from a major injury and wanting one more shot at a SB with a good friend by his side.

Joemailman
10-03-2023, 09:30 AM
I think Bakhtiari will retire. He needs to start thinking what life will be like at 40 if he keeps playing football on a wrecked knee. He'd be a fool to push it, and he doesn't strike me as a fool.

Fritz
10-03-2023, 10:04 AM
I think Bakhtiari will retire. He needs to start thinking what life will be like at 40 if he keeps playing football on a wrecked knee. He'd be a fool to push it, and he doesn't strike me as a fool.

He's not a fool, no. But he may be thinking he still wants to play, and what better story than a comeback next year with his good buddy Rodgers in NY? One more shot at redemption and a Super Bowl.

run pMc
10-03-2023, 11:07 AM
He's not a fool, no. But he may be thinking he still wants to play, and what better story than a comeback next year with his good buddy Rodgers in NY? One more shot at redemption and a Super Bowl.

IDK, Metlife stadium is FieldTurf. He hates turf and it would be tough to play 10+ games on turf for him. If it did happen, I could see him sign there, play a game or two and hang it up. Or maybe he'd wait until midseason to sign with a team.
Honestly, I think he's done. He's been a great LT for GB and I wish his knee was holding up this year, but sometimes the mind wants the body to do something it just can't. He's got plenty of money, maybe it's time.

With a young team in an evaluation season, there probably isn't a place for him long term on the roster anyway.

NewsBruin
10-03-2023, 01:08 PM
The one bit of hope I hold out if this is only a cartilage issue* is that a lot of older pro athletes are doing borderline-voodoo stuff to restore knee cushioning. HLA injections, platelet-rich plasma, growth hormone treatments all over the world at places that don't ask a lot of questions. I think about pro wrestlers The Undertaker and Rey Mysterio, who added five years or more onto their careers after being considered completely shot.

If he loves, loves football and decides that he's going to have chronic pain regardless and wants to play one more season for the love of the game (and ~$20 million in salary and roster bonus), he's got enough time to go to get the weirdness done and be back for 2024.

* Which is easy, because it's not my knee.

NewsBruin
10-03-2023, 01:14 PM
And if he wanted to play for someone else, we'd have that familiar Favre/Rodgers drama of "GB owns the rights to your contract, even if you retire," so we'd decide if it's worth keeping him for $20M or getting some draft/player comp for him.

bobblehead
10-04-2023, 01:22 PM
they also converted $15M of his salary to bonus this year, so he's been paid that already.

There is NO benefit to the cap if you cut him this year. The offseason is a different story, when he counts $40M against the cap but is due for about another $19M. They can get about $21M cap savings cutting him then.

Nobody is going to trade for him. Teams aren't going to give up a draft pick for a guy who is (at best) week-to-week the entire season, and he might not pass a physical anyway.

Agree. Not sure if teams wouldn't make an offer in August or not, but he is done as a packer and we won't get anything for him at this point. He will be cut. I doubt he ever plays another snap. If he does, it won't be for us.

QBME
10-04-2023, 10:19 PM
Agree. Not sure if teams wouldn't make an offer in August or not, but he is done as a packer and we won't get anything for him at this point. He will be cut. I doubt he ever plays another snap. If he does, it won't be for us.

He’s done with football for sure.
He’s 32 years old and just had his first child.
He’s a California boy and can afford to go home.
He’s a class act and will ride off into the sunset with his head held high.

Fritz
10-06-2023, 05:35 PM
He’s done with football for sure.
He’s 32 years old and just had his first child.
He’s a California boy and can afford to go home.
He’s a class act and will ride off into the sunset with his head held high.

Ah, but he loves the game. He loves, loves, loves playing football.

I think he's going to try once more. Will it succeed? Who knows - probably not - but I think he's going to try.

Joemailman
10-06-2023, 06:28 PM
Ah, but he loves the game. He loves, loves, loves playing football.

I think he's going to try once more. Will it succeed? Who knows - probably not - but I think he's going to try.

Bakhtiari said today his plan is to play in 2024. Acknowledges he doesn't know if it will be with the Packers. It's not his ACL. It's a cartilage issue. He spent 35 minutes today talking to reporters. https://www.packers.com/video/david-bakhtiari-confirms-another-knee-surgery-is-needed-ending-his-season

RashanGary
10-07-2023, 06:12 AM
He’s made about 90+ million dollars. I imagine he has at least 30 million in the bank.

The best he can hope for is a minimum contract with big incentives for all pro, pro bowl. Moderate incentives for playing time. More than likely he’d make 2 to 6 million a year for 3 years. If his knee ever works.

He’s been a great player. There’s a tiny chance he could be really good for 5 more years. Tackles have done that. He says he has a lot of cartilage. So there’s still a chance he could really play. For a while.

He’s going to try. We’ll see what happens.

RashanGary
10-07-2023, 06:50 AM
Ken Ingalls on Twitter said Bakhs whole salary will be paid next year even if they cut him due to injury grievance. That’s assuming his knee is bad.

There is a real possibility he gets cut and counts 40M because of the knee.

RashanGary
10-07-2023, 06:51 AM
Ken Ingalls is like 100% right on cap situations 100% of the time.

Fritz
10-07-2023, 07:17 AM
Ken Ingalls on Twitter said Bakhs whole salary will be paid next year even if they cut him due to injury grievance. That’s assuming his knee is bad.

If this is so, then of course it makes sense to just keep him. If in fact he can come back and play, you might as well have it be for the Packers. If it doesn't work out, well, apparently they've got to pay him any way.

ThunderDan
10-07-2023, 08:26 AM

We would have to pay him but there would be salary cap reduction.

Cash paid to player does not correlate to salary cap hit unless there was no signing bonus or guaranteed money in the contract.

ThunderDan
10-07-2023, 08:28 AM
If this is so, then of course it makes sense to just keep him. If in fact he can come back and play, you might as well have it be for the Packers. If it doesn't work out, well, apparently they've got to pay him any way.

The Packers will cut him and if interested resign him. They could signed him for 10M in 2024 and have a lower cap hit than if he stayed on his current contract. They would have to pay out 10M more in cash but see a reduction in salary cap.

ThunderDan
10-07-2023, 12:04 PM
Bach’s current contract is 5 years $102M.

Cap hit per year
20 - 16.2 M
21 - 10.9 M
22 - 13.8 M
23 - 21.3 M
24 - 40.6 M

This is what happens to contracts when you “cook” the cap. 21 and 22 look good but 24 is a complete dead weight.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-07-2023, 12:57 PM
Bach’s current contract is 5 years $102M.

Cap hit per year
20 - 16.2 M
21 - 10.9 M
22 - 13.8 M
23 - 21.3 M
24 - 40.6 M

This is what happens to contracts when you “cook” the cap. 21 and 22 look good but 24 is a complete dead weight.

Moral of the story: it ain’t ever wise to overpay a Yokozuna. See the contracts of Albert Haynesworth, Cletidus Clark and the Iranian Stallion (Bak) for examples.

(Aside: Where the fuck was Clark when the Pussies of Detroit were running the rock up and down the A and B gaps where Clark supposedly roam? Oh right, he was seen running to the bank to deposit his fat check.)

Bak ain’t counting $40 M against the Packers cap in 24. Either the Packers will cook the cap again and lower the number, or more likely, they’ll terminate the contract and eat up “only” 19M in “dead” cap, which has already been accounted for, so it ain’t a big deal. The Packers can always cook the cap further if they need that 19M so baldy to sign, say, Mike Evens.

bobblehead
10-08-2023, 02:02 PM
We would have to pay him but there would be salary cap reduction.

Cash paid to player does not correlate to salary cap hit unless there was no signing bonus or guaranteed money in the contract.

Eventually the cash correlates. I think Bak has a $19 base this year and the other 21 is kicked forward from previous years that was paid. Thus they can cut him, and save the base, but the money that is unaccounted for so far will count at that point.

If I understand it (and maybe I don't).

Player has bases of 5,5,7,9 Million but gets a 20 million bonus he will count 10,10,12,14. If you cut him after year 3 the 5 that is unaccounted for but has been paid will count anyway. In baks case he had a signing bonus, but then they guaranteed the base several of the years, thus turning it into bonus effectively. So each time they did, it carried forward and was spread out. Thats how you end up with $21 million counting against the cap that he won't be paid (He was already paid it previously).

RashanGary
10-08-2023, 03:05 PM
Yeah bobble. But if he can’t pass a physical, they have to pay him his base. Just don’t know if that counts on the cap.

RashanGary
10-08-2023, 03:10 PM
TD is saying it doesn’t count on the cap, but my cap expert won’t weigh in and I haven’t seen enough of TDs cap expertise to know for sure if he’s 100

bobblehead
10-08-2023, 10:13 PM
Yeah bobble. But if he can’t pass a physical, they have to pay him his base. Just don’t know if that counts on the cap.

I don't think this is the case. The season he was injured in they would have had to pay the base. But if they waive him this off season he is shit out of luck, unless I'm wrong or it changed. NFL contracts are not locked in all the way thru under any circumstances.

RashanGary
10-09-2023, 04:08 AM
I don't think this is the case. The season he was injured in they would have had to pay the base. But if they waive him this off season he is shit out of luck, unless I'm wrong or it changed. NFL contracts are not locked in all the way thru under any circumstances.

Ken Ingalls on Twitter is pretty knowledgeable. He’s right about 100% of the time. He says Bakh can get big parts of his base through injury grievance if we cut him injured next year.

sharpe1027
10-09-2023, 07:55 AM
Injury grievance is only for the same season the injury occurs.

sharpe1027
10-09-2023, 08:16 AM
He can qualify for an Injury Protection Benefit for up to two years. It would pay out the guaranteed portion (not necessarily the same as the reported number due to complexity of the contract), but I think the cap hit is capped at less than $2M. The rest is not counted against the salary.

RashanGary
10-09-2023, 10:03 AM
He can qualify for an Injury Protection Benefit for up to two years. It would pay out the guaranteed portion (not necessarily the same as the reported number due to complexity of the contract), but I think the cap hit is capped at less than $2M. The rest is not counted against the salary.

Thanks!!!

Ken Ingalls is presenting it differently at Twitter, but I’ve never seen a big injury cap situation so what you’re saying makes so much more sense to what is happening.

bobblehead
10-09-2023, 11:32 AM
Injury grievance is only for the same season the injury occurs.

This

bobblehead
10-09-2023, 11:34 AM
Thanks!!!

Ken Ingalls is presenting it differently at Twitter, but I’ve never seen a big injury cap situation so what you’re saying makes so much more sense to what is happening.

I know it was awhile ago, but think Sterling Sharpe. He held out on the eve of camp for a big deal. Surprised everyone. Got his deal. Got hurt. They cut him and owed him nothing after that season.

RashanGary
10-09-2023, 11:40 AM
From Ken Ingalls

If the Packers cut David Bakhtiari before he passes a physical, he

1⃣At a minimum qualifies for Injury Protection - $1.230M cap in 2024.

2⃣Can file an Injury Grievance for his 2024 salary of $21.5M - $8.6M (40%) hits 2024 immediately with the balance reconciled upon settlement.

RashanGary
10-09-2023, 11:42 AM
There have been a few CBAs since Sterling Sharpe in the mid 90’s

RashanGary
10-09-2023, 11:49 AM
I just read directly from the nflpa that a player can’t file an injury grievance for a previous years injury. He must first pass a physical and then get reinjured.

They went in to say he could file a non-injury grievance where he could collect a max of 2M

Ken Ingalls is completely off and none of his 1000s of followers have corrected him yet. Weird that this place had two guys dig it up instantly and then I finally got unlazy enough to dig it up a third time.

call_me_ishmael
10-09-2023, 02:17 PM
I don't think you can cut an injured player without an injury settlement.

sharpe1027
10-09-2023, 02:37 PM
From Ken Ingalls

If the Packers cut David Bakhtiari before he passes a physical, he

1⃣At a minimum qualifies for Injury Protection - $1.230M cap in 2024.

2⃣Can file an Injury Grievance for his 2024 salary of $21.5M - $8.6M (40%) hits 2024 immediately with the balance reconciled upon settlement.

I read the CBA just now, but am not an expert. It is complicated. It might actually be limited to around $2M total compensation.

If in the 2021 League Year the player’s Paragraph 5 Salary equals $3,000,000 and player’s Injury Protection Benefit payment equals $2,000,000 (representing the maximum payment under Section 3(a) above), the first $1,200,000 would be charged to Team Salary, and the remaining $800,000 would be treated as a Player Benefit Cost, as indicated in the “2021” column of the above table.

sharpe1027
10-09-2023, 02:47 PM
Okay, looking close, the first $2M or so if guaranteed money gets treated as Injury Benefits, according to the breakdown I have above (it changes slightly from year to year).

The rest is probably just straight dead cap. I haven't found any exceptions to that. Teams and players are free to negotiate for settlements, but I think that's the starting point.

It's too complex for me to be certain.

NewsBruin
10-09-2023, 02:47 PM
I believe P5 is the minimum salary for that many years of service.

Funny enough, Bahk is earning a lowball (possibly vet minimum) salary this year, in exchange for converting salary to signing bonus (just like we did for #12).

sharpe1027
10-09-2023, 02:54 PM
I believe P5 is the minimum salary for that many years of service.

Funny enough, Bahk is earning a lowball (possibly vet minimum) salary this year, in exchange for converting salary to signing bonus (just like we did for #12).

I think it's more than just that. The injury benefits section refers to guaranteed salary under paragraph 5, which on a quick read is more than just the minimum.

NewsBruin
10-09-2023, 04:06 PM
I trust you on that. I saw P5 mentioned recently as the minimum salary, but it probably is more than just vet minimum.