PDA

View Full Version : Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Fritz
01-10-2024, 01:12 PM
Barry is a mediocrity. As a DC, he always has been. If he's retained, Packers will continue to be not very good on defense, but not the worst.

To me, they seem to swing between having really good games and really awful ones, with the weight of "really awful" being much more common than the "really good" games.

I doubt they get Vrabel, unless he wants to take a year off as a HC and come up to Green Bay for a year before he throws his hat back into the head coaching ring.

But I have no feel for whether he'd be an attractive HC candidate right now - he just had two losing seasons, didn't he?

Hell, I don't know.

bobblehead
01-10-2024, 01:17 PM
Last item and I will leave it alone regarding Carolina.

Carolina scored 45 points the last 5 weeks of the season. Removing the Packer game Carolina averaged 3.8 points per game.
We were the only team that Carolina scored a TD against in the last quarter of the season.

I will say this in Barry's defense on Carolina (and I do not really mean to defend him). Young made a handful of his best throws as a pro in that game. We didn't get the pressure on him that we have gotten since that game.

Barry blows and needs to go. His nature is far to conservative for the type of defense we have assembled. Points per game isn't a stat worth a damn when you run our offense and allow 2 possessions a half. I would gather that in points per possession we are dead last.

bobblehead
01-10-2024, 01:19 PM
Anyone else unrealistically hope we get mike Vrabel?

Maybe he really misses lafluer

I honestly hope we get the janitor for the packer HoF if it means Barry is gone. But yes, Vrabel would be a fine choice. Wink would be cool. I saw Rex Ryan actually interviewed for a DC spot last year. I'm on board with that for sure.

Fritz
01-10-2024, 01:24 PM
You're on the "ABB"train: Anyone But Barry.

Me too. Unless it's a Joe Barry clone.

QBME
01-10-2024, 03:25 PM
I honestly hope we get the janitor for the packer HoF if it means Barry is gone. But yes, Vrabel would be a fine choice. Wink would be cool. I saw Rex Ryan actually interviewed for a DC spot last year. I'm on board with that for sure.

I dunno..

I don't know the NFL coach's worth squat but would be excited to have a young up-and-comer that could blend the young and more experienced players. The folks you mention are old and pale. To me they don't fit the vibe that is beginning to develop.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

George Cumby
01-10-2024, 03:29 PM
Didn't MLF work for Vrabel?

Or was that the staff prior?

Joemailman
01-10-2024, 03:42 PM
Didn't MLF work for Vrabel?

Or was that the staff prior?

DC for 1 year before he came to the Packers.

run pMc
01-10-2024, 04:00 PM
I understand talking shit here. His family doesn’t see it. But People were fucking with his daughter on social media. It’s just ridiculous how people can tear a guy up in public and not feel a shred of guilt. Honestly, outside of Tex, there is no one here who hates journalists as a general rule more than me. And they’ve been more respectful than the fan base. It’s kind of gross, to be honest.

Yeah going after the family or making it personal is crossing a line.
If the talking heads on TV make it a segment of their show, that's fair game -- if it's deserved. In Barry's case at least some scrutiny of his record and performance is deserved.

I don't know him personally; I've heard he's a great guy.
I will say I don't think he's calling and executing a defensive scheme that is consistently effective, I don't think he's gotten the most out of his players, and I don't think they've shown as much improvement as you'd like.
(I also have doubts the players like the scheme or the calls) On the grounds of his performance over 3 seasons I don't think he should be the DC next year.

I don't think it will stop with Barry either. I think most if not all of the defensive coaching staff will be gone with him, and a few of the players. When a defense is invested in and is expected to keep the team afloat for a young offense and can't you have to look at everything.
Devondre has his instincts but has been hurt a lot and is a step slow.
Savage is fast, but his tackling and angles still leave much to be desired.
The rest of the safeties are bargain bin guys. The back 7 will have some new starters.

Bretsky
01-10-2024, 07:13 PM
How about the Giants and Bucs games?

BarryBall leads GB the last two weeks into the playoffs :)

ThunderDan
01-10-2024, 07:22 PM
BarryBall leads GB the last two weeks into the playoffs :)

So we have 5 clunkers and 1 great job of the 17 games we played off the top of my head.

Beating Minn with their 4th string QB and the Bears aren’t BarryBall leading us anywhere.

George Cumby
01-10-2024, 07:29 PM
So we have 5 clunkers and 1 great job of the 17 games we played off the top of my head.

Beating Minn with their 4th string QB and the Bears aren’t BarryBall leading us anywhere.

While I generally agree with your main point, if the Packers get pressure the way they have the last two games, they have a real shot.

Bretsky
01-10-2024, 08:41 PM

I want Barry gone as much or more than anybody

But I saw this story happen last year and to me Flower is looking for reasons to keep him

Sparkey
01-11-2024, 09:40 AM
DC for 1 year before he came to the Packers. OC not DC. I think he gets another chance to be a head coach. Best guess would be New England.

bobblehead
01-11-2024, 11:05 AM
I want Barry gone as much or more than anybody

But I saw this story happen last year and to me Flower is looking for reasons to keep him

I don't think anyone can honestly assess what MiLF is thinking. He wants to win. If he thinks replacing Barry is his best route to winning I think he replaces him. I'm only guessing that he probably thinks that because...well, most of the free world thinks that and he isn't stupid. Thats the best conclusion I can draw.

Joemailman
01-11-2024, 11:17 AM
To me, they seem to swing between having really good games and really awful ones, with the weight of "really awful" being much more common than the "really good" games.

I doubt they get Vrabel, unless he wants to take a year off as a HC and come up to Green Bay for a year before he throws his hat back into the head coaching ring.

But I have no feel for whether he'd be an attractive HC candidate right now - he just had two losing seasons, didn't he?

Hell, I don't know.

He went to the playoffs 3 years in a row with Tannehill throwing to A.J. Brown and Derrick Henry running the ball. Then Tennessee traded A.J. Brown and Tannehill got hurt. He's a very good coach. Maybe not a great one. With 8 HC openings though (so far) I'd be surprised if he doesn't get an offer.

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2024, 02:19 PM
Hey you poll makers. I would like to see a poll about Barry, NOT whether we want him out, but yes or no if we expect it to happen.

Fritz
01-11-2024, 05:16 PM
He went to the playoffs 3 years in a row with Tannehill throwing to A.J. Brown and Derrick Henry running the ball. Then Tennessee traded A.J. Brown and Tannehill got hurt. He's a very good coach. Maybe not a great one. With 8 HC openings though (so far) I'd be surprised if he doesn't get an offer.

That's a good point. With that many openings, he's likely to get a shot with someone - he has HC experience and if his failure can be 'splained away, an insecure (or super smart, depending on your point of view) owner/GM will bite on Vrabel

Bretsky
01-11-2024, 07:10 PM
Hey you poll makers. I would like to see a poll about Barry, NOT whether we want him out, but yes or no if we expect it to happen.

This has JoeMailman Poll written all over it...fact based....

RashanGary
01-11-2024, 07:43 PM
This has JoeMailman Poll written all over it...fact based....

I’m voting for keeping Barry. He’s a good guy, the team likes him and he’s doing a good job with what he has.

Bretsky
01-11-2024, 08:07 PM
I’m voting for keeping Barry. He’s a good guy, the team likes him and he’s doing a good job with what he has.

Barry is terrible; but by GB making the late season run he just might have kept his job.

RashanGary
01-11-2024, 08:22 PM
Barry is terrible; but by GB making the late season run he just might have kept his job.

I’m not convinced. I think Rudy ford, in particular, is a disaster and the other guys are so young or just not very good in the back that he’s had to cover them up a lot.

Savage and Owens are a nice pair. Savage with the range and Owens with the pop. I don’t think they’re very good by any stretch, but at least passable. Nixon is barely passable too. At least now he has guys who are JAGs or better vs having a true unpassable guy on the field.

And even with some passable JAGs, it’s not like he’s got this all pro squad out there so expecting the world is kind of…. Not it.

RashanGary
01-11-2024, 08:32 PM
Barry and his merry band of secondary misfits were a top 10 defense in points allowed this year. If anything he’s over performed with what he had to work with.

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2024, 10:09 PM
RG, Bretsky, I SAID make it a "what will happen?" thing, NOT a "what do you want to happen?" thing. Of course, the huge majority of us, even after a couple good games, still WANT him gone, but the question is, will LaFleur see it that way and get rid of him? - a much closer call.

Fritz
01-12-2024, 06:02 AM
Barry and his merry band of secondary misfits were a top 10 defense in points allowed this year. If anything he’s over performed with what he had to work with.

I want what you’re smoking. Though it sounds more like hallucinogens.

ThunderDan
01-12-2024, 07:39 AM

How many 2nd -5th string QBs did we play? Seriously, I am not joking. The first half of the season the D kept us in games or at least close enough. The 2nd half was a shit show by the D except KC and Det bailed us out a bit by their coaches stupidity of fake punts and not taking 3 points when they were in FG range.

ThunderDan
01-12-2024, 07:41 AM
Honestly, I would look at number of punts the D forced and 3rd down conversion rate. Also, 3 and outs.

Those have to be in the bottom 3rd of the league.

BrokenArrow
01-12-2024, 07:58 AM
Honestly, I would look at number of punts the D forced and 3rd down conversion rate. Also, 3 and outs.

Barry is bad. He's been bad everywhere he's ever been. He needs to go. The main reason for our points allowed per game being good is due to our offense being able to sustain long drives and limit the number of possessions.

Joemailman
01-12-2024, 08:07 AM

Packers D forced the least number of punts in the NFL (56)
Packers D was 25th in 3rd down conversion rate
Packers D was 20th in 4th down conversion rate
Through 13 weeks, Packers D was 27th at forcing 3 and outs.

Fritz
01-12-2024, 08:17 AM
That's a bottom-third defense, however you look at it. Even on 'shrooms you can see that.

Fosco33
01-12-2024, 08:24 AM
That's a bottom-third defense, however you look at it. Even on 'shrooms you can see that.

Heck - from what I read - shrooms would allow a much deeper understanding (not ‘even on’).

You’d need to be blacked out drunk to think our D is anything but bottom 3rd.

run pMc
01-12-2024, 09:55 AM

You have to factor in that GB's offense plays at a glacial pace, so there are less possessions. Look at the latest CHI game - they had SIX possessions the whole game. You can't score if you don't have the ball.

Go back and watch the NYG or TB games.

Also - Savage and Owens are NOT good, unless by good you mean good backups or good ST players. Savage is a really fast missile who misses tackles and occasionally takes bad angles. Owens is a better tackler but is slow and not very instinctive. The Texans didn't want him back, if that tells you anything. The secondary is duct taped together, that's trye, but it hasn't mattered lately since the pass rush has gotten pressure on some lower-tier QBs like Hall/Mullens and Justin Fields. Barry still plays those guys way off. They've looked good because they haven't been tested.

This team has given up more 200+ yard rushing games than anyone else in the league this year.

They are younger on the DL, but I'd say they are better. They still have plenty of veteran talent on the defensive side of the ball, it's not like they are all rookies like the receivers.

Their schedule has been very soft this year and even then they faced QBs like Baker, DeVito, Rypien, Hall/Mullens, Bryce Young, Garropolo, Russell Wilson, etc. Not a murderer's row.

I don't think Barry was a good hire at DC, but that aside I haven't seen much to recommend they keep him after 3 seasons either. If this team is serious about being a SB contender in/by 2025 they have to move on and find a better DC. Rodgers and Favre didn't win SBs without a good defense, Love won't either.

If Fat Mike is smart he'll borrow a page from the TB game and spread out the GB defense 5-wide, motion CeeDee into the slot, and end up with Preston Smith or Quay trying to cover him.

RashanGary
01-12-2024, 10:49 AM
What I mean by savage and Owens being good, runPMC is that they’re kinda bad, but that’s really good compared to some of the guys Barry has had to put on the field. What I’m trying to say is he’s had to cover up horrendous secondary play, especially safety play and he did a good job.

Joemailman
01-14-2024, 08:54 PM
Well?

bobblehead
01-14-2024, 09:06 PM
Well?

Fire him...unless they do it in SF also.

RashanGary
01-14-2024, 10:14 PM
It’s a kick in the dick to have Enagbare out. He’s not a great player, but he gave Gary a rest and he’s always feisty and active over there.

We do have three guys who can play now. Gary, Preston and LVN. If you play Gary and Preston 72.5%, LVN can pick up the last 55%. It’s workable.

And we have 4 interior guys who can play with Clark, Slaton, Wyatt and Brooks. You can go a little bigger too and eat up some of those snaps 55 was taking.

I don’t think the injury hurts us much with us having 3 playable edges and 4 interior guys. I wouldn’t want to lose another though. I’m hoping for a special run!

call_me_ishmael
01-14-2024, 10:26 PM
If he's seriously hurt, they're gonna need to sign somebody if they don't have a 5th OLB on the roster.

RashanGary
01-14-2024, 10:32 PM
He is seriously hurt. But LVN had 4 sacks in the last 7 games. I believe it’s the most on our team in that span. Maybe Preston. He’s been coming on. But LVN is starting to make a difference.

You can get by rotating those 3 and using Brooks and Wyatt a little more too.

We might sign someone, but I don’t think they’re going to be playing new guys. They’re just going to ride the guys they have a little more.

RashanGary
01-14-2024, 10:39 PM
Last 7 weeks

Preston 4 sacks
LVN 4 sacks
Clark 3.5 sacks
Gary 3.5 sacks

LVN is coming on.

George Cumby
01-14-2024, 10:45 PM
Last 7 weeks

Preston 4 sacks
LVN 4 sacks
Clark 3.5 sacks
Gary 3.5 sacks

LVN is coming on.

I've been mostly unimpressed with LVN, but might have to rethink that. He is active, I'll give him that.

red
01-14-2024, 10:45 PM
we had a 32 point lead with 10:30 left in the game, and none of us thought the lead was safe

what the hell does that say about joe barry?

call_me_ishmael
01-14-2024, 10:54 PM
He seems to make plays in garbage time mostly. That's the only time he gets in. Great moments are born out of great opportunity, so let's see what the kids got. Still need to sign somebody.

Joemailman
01-14-2024, 11:03 PM
If he's seriously hurt, they're gonna need to sign somebody if they don't have a 5th OLB on the roster.

Brenton Cox is on the roster.

RashanGary
01-14-2024, 11:04 PM
we had a 32 point lead with 10:30 left in the game, and none of us thought the lead was safe

What does that say about the defense would be the more appropriate question.

RashanGary
01-14-2024, 11:09 PM
LVN, I don’t know if it was his sack or a near sack…. I saw him flash a couple times this evening.

But he got an edge on an all pro LT, got low and bent the corner in a way that Rashan Gary has never done is his career. LVN has a chance to be special. He’s young. 275lb guys usually don’t become stars in their rookie year. There is a big learning curve with the technique it takes to beat polished and physically matured offensive tackles in the NFL. Speed guys can sometimes win right away, but the bigger guys, it takes a minute.

But he flashes special. I think he’s better than Rashan Gary. Maybe not this minute, but he shows more upside. Rashan is a big, fast, powerful guy, but he spazzes around out of control and he’s just so strong sometimes it works. LVN is a similar level athlete, is bendier around the edge and looks more natural and coordinated as an athlete. LVN is him. He’s the guy.

Bretsky
01-14-2024, 11:42 PM

that he's back in 2024

Fritz
01-15-2024, 07:36 AM
What happened to Enagbare? I must’ve been busy celebrating. What happened?

My fondest wish is that when the season is over, Joe Barely announces that he’s retiring.

The defense played well - or the Cowboys’ offense was sleepwalking. That was one of the most dazed-looking teams I’ve ever seen.

run pMc
01-15-2024, 10:42 AM
What does that say about the defense would be the more appropriate question.

If you're trolling to start an honest conversation about whether or not the defense or its individual players execute (i.e. play) well, sure I see your point and what you're doing.
If you're being serious and suggesting that Barry is a good DC and the players have let him down all season...no, I don't see that.

I think there have been almost as many times that the players haven't executed as there have been failings of the DC. The question of "bad DC or bad players" is BOTH.
Getting a good DC eliminates one problem and if you're lucky at least helps to coach up or elevate the ok players to good and the bad players to ok.

It's not hard to come up with criticisms of Barry's scheme and calls, I'll put it that way.
His defense put enough of a scare in MLF that he put his starters back in vs. DAL. Not a ringing endorsement.

MadtownPacker
01-15-2024, 10:51 AM
Cowboys struggled just to nickel and dime their way to some minimal yards. The bend but don’t break worked until they put it in neutral at the end. Up until then I have no complaints. They let Dak try to win it and he couldn’t.

Sparkey
01-16-2024, 11:56 AM
Did Barry save his job with the Cowboys buchwacking ?

texaspackerbacker
01-16-2024, 04:20 PM
I'd say yes, because LaFleur is looking for cover - for away to save Barry without too much criticism.

run pMc
01-16-2024, 04:52 PM
I sure hope not. Even up 27-7 at halftime I felt like the lead wasn't safe.

Two things give me hope:
(1) GB played a lot softer in the 2nd half, but they still gave up over 500 yards of offense.
(2) MLF got spooked enough when DAL got to 32 that he put the starters back in

If Barry can continue this, sure...ok, keep him another year.

I still don't think he's an above average DC. If he was, he'd be getting interest from other teams.

Fritz
01-16-2024, 04:55 PM
If Barry can continue what?

Having the defense play well for three quarters and then going soft, like Carolina?

That’s like saying if a man can get it up for 20 minutes and be hard, that him getting soft at the key moment when she’s getting ready to cum means he’s still great in the sack.

Ask your wife/girlfriend what she thinks about that.

run pMc
01-17-2024, 11:34 AM
If Barry can continue what?
Jumping on opponents early, getting turnovers and score, and helping the offense get a big lead. Barry's D is tailor made to be a front runner with a big lead. If they are up by 2 and the other team has the ball with 1 minute and 2 timeouts left forget it.

I think ultimately MLF will come to his senses - or someone will make him - and he'll get a different DC. If it's not this year, it better be next.

It's interesting to consider that, even with a 27-7 lead at halftime, they weren't completely safe. DAL scored 25 in the 2nd half (one TD drive was against scrubs but still). If the offense hadn't kept the pedal to the floor that could've been a different game, even theugh GB was kicking the crap out of DAL in the first half.

Joemailman
01-20-2024, 11:54 PM
This game doesn't help clarify the situation. Defense played well for 3 quarters but couldn't stop them when they needed to at the end. Forced no turnovers. The usual mix of positives and negatives.

RashanGary
01-21-2024, 12:18 AM
I’d be ok whichever way Matt goes. I think almost all of the problem we had was when our secondary was decimated and he had to try to either cover for them or stop the run and have them get gashed. Not much he can do without the horses. He’s not on the field.

call_me_ishmael
01-21-2024, 12:28 AM
I suspect they will make a change, but who? Change for the sake of change isn't particularly inspiring. Maybe Wink? This DL with Wink could be a lot of fun. The D would certainly force turnovers.

RashanGary
01-21-2024, 01:14 AM
Lafleur said the staff would stick together after the game. Not directly about Barry, but in general. I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

sharpe1027
01-21-2024, 08:04 AM
I don't see a change now. This team can win with Barry. I just wish it didn't feel like he is a pile of bricks in their backpacks they need to overcome.

run pMc
01-21-2024, 12:36 PM
I don't see a change now. This team can win with Barry. I just wish it didn't feel like he is a pile of bricks in their backpacks they need to overcome.

Yeah. I don't have any faith that if GB is up 2 or 6 points late in a game they can stop a team. Barry's defenses are a little too soft/passive for my tastes, but I'm not the coach.
Supposedly more aggressive defenses (like what Flores ran in MN) are going to become the new hot thing. More pressure and deception, less sit back with bend/don't break stuff. We'll see how that works out.

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2024, 03:17 PM
It seemed like Barry got a lot smarter late in the season. More likely, he overcame stubbornness after being told shape up or ship out, and did a few things he previously hadn't wanted to do.

Given that LaFleur likes Barry and things did get better late in the year, I think he stays. Hopefully he doesn't backslide to his old ways next season. As was said, we can win with him, and the continuity probably is a good thing.

bobblehead
01-21-2024, 03:28 PM
If he isn't extended within 2 weeks it means they are looking at alternatives

Bretsky
01-21-2024, 03:39 PM
It seemed like Barry got a lot smarter late in the season. More likely, he overcame stubbornness after being told shape up or ship out, and did a few things he previously hadn't wanted to do.

Given that LaFleur likes Barry and things did get better late in the year, I think he stays. Hopefully he doesn't backslide to his old ways next season. As was said, we can win with him, and the continuity probably is a good thing.

Just like last year.

King Friday
01-21-2024, 04:36 PM
You have to do better than Barry. His track record during his career speaks for itself. He doesn’t command championship caliber defenses. If you want to win a title, he’s not the guy you want helming the defense. The last few years bear that out entirely. He’s not the worst defensive coach ever, but his defenses almost always fail to hold the lead. You need to find someone who can…at least some of the time.

red
01-21-2024, 04:38 PM
i think its gonna be tough to get rid of him after the last few weeks

Bretsky
01-21-2024, 04:39 PM

agree

King Friday
01-21-2024, 04:42 PM

The Niners were 10 of 16 converting third downs. That is bad, regardless of how the defense played otherwise.

And they let SF walk down the field with little resistance at the end, when it counted

If the Packers want to host playoff games and have a real shot at a title, get rid of the guy who has a track record of mediocrity.

Fritz
01-21-2024, 05:41 PM

Not at all. You just ask Barry to come in for a meeting, and you say "Joe, we're going in a different direction with the defensive coordinator position."

That's not hard at all.

run pMc
01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
The Niners were 10 of 16 converting third downs. That is bad, regardless of how the defense played otherwise.

And they let SF walk down the field with little resistance at the end, when it counted

If the Packers want to host playoff games and have a real shot at a title, get rid of the guy who has a track record of mediocrity.

Agree. SF was converting a lot by catching the ball 2-3 yards short of the sticks and just breaking a tackle if someone was there or just running for it when there was a space cushion.
Also, I'm starting to wonder if the 'bend but don't break' model needs to be reconsidered, or at least modified. Teams go for it on 4th and 2 a lot more than they used to; even if a Barry defense tackles someone short of the sticks on 3rd down they usually give up the conversion on 4th.
I like the Fangio scheme and all, but I wonder if it's been figured out and being the creator Fangio is best position to adapt it well. You pretty much have to get a team into a 4th and 5 situation to force a punt, that's not BDB and probably something more exotic than sitting back in a reactive zone.

Barry gets some credit for coaching with his back against the wall, but it seems like this is a recurring theme: defense looks bad until end of season when everyone is fed up and he pulls out some good defensive games. If he can only do it from Week 13 on, what do you do for the previous 12 weeks?

When they draft a CB or S in R1 and Barry comes back only and we see a Keystone Kops defense, are we going to roll out the "8 1st rounders on defense WTF" thing again? I don't think they lack talent except at safety, and maybe corner (depending on health) but this defense has not performed up to its talent, and coaching is where people are going to look. Better defenses have worked with less than what GB has.

Teamcheez1
01-21-2024, 06:02 PM
I have resigned myself to having Joe Barry back next year. MLF is too stubborn to make the change. I don’t think he sees the big picture surrounding the defensive performance over the last 2 years.

call_me_ishmael
01-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Crazy idea - I wonder if Pete Carroll would be willing to coach D for a couple years.

Upnorth
01-21-2024, 10:33 PM
Crazy idea - I wonder if Pete Carroll would be willing to coach D for a couple years.

Nah, let's get belichek.

And a pony

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2024, 11:12 PM
Bottom line is, we can win with Barry - maybe a little more stressfully, but we can still win with him.

call_me_ishmael
01-21-2024, 11:35 PM
I sincerely doubt at 72 Pete is gonna get another chance to HC, and he still wants to coach. I think he is a terrific defensive mind.

Kinda wonder if Harbaugh moves on we could snag his DC. Although he may want to take him with him.

Who are the up-and-comers. I want somebody that's gonna play Ravens style aggressive-as-hell.

bobblehead
01-22-2024, 01:45 PM
I sincerely doubt at 72 Pete is gonna get another chance to HC, and he still wants to coach. I think he is a terrific defensive mind.

Kinda wonder if Harbaugh moves on we could snag his DC. Although he may want to take him with him.

Who are the up-and-comers. I want somebody that's gonna play Ravens style aggressive-as-hell.

Pete is under contract and working in the offices at Seattle. Probably emptying waste baskets and such.

Joemailman
01-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Quick housekeeping note: Joe Barry’s contract is NOT expiring, according to a source. Matt LaFleur has yet to make a decision on the future of his defensive coordinator, but it would be a firing and not a decline to renew if he moves on from Barry.

run pMc
01-22-2024, 02:30 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Quick housekeeping note: Joe Barry’s contract is NOT expiring, according to a source. Matt LaFleur has yet to make a decision on the future of his defensive coordinator, but it would be a firing and not a decline to renew if he moves on from Barry.

Yeah I just saw this and thought ah shit, they misled us all along.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024/1/22/24047171/green-bay-packers-news-rumors-report-2023-final-year-joe-barry-contract

He's probably coming back. Crap.

Teamcheez1
01-22-2024, 02:50 PM
With Barry’s contract, it has been stated that a 4 year contract is very unusual for a coordinator.

Some people are implying that MLF might have extended his contract for the additional year. Not a good look in my opinion for either scenario.

Bretsky
01-22-2024, 07:12 PM
Time to put off being a legit contender for a couple more years if BarryBall comes back.

Maybe our Kicker will be able to make extra points and chip shots when they send Barry out the door :)

Bretsky
01-22-2024, 07:13 PM
With Barry’s contract, it has been stated that a 4 year contract is very unusual for a coordinator.

Some people are implying that MLF might have extended his contract for the additional year. Not a good look in my opinion for either scenario.

Are they implying the extension occured this year ?

Joemailman
01-22-2024, 07:30 PM
From MLF's 2023 season ending PC:

At last year’s season-ending news conference, held the day after the Week 18 loss to the Detroit Lions, LaFleur was asked if Barry would return for 2023.

“That’s what I anticipate, yes,” LaFleur responded.

From MLF's 2024 season ending PC:

“I know there’s going to be a lot of long-term, big-picture questions. I’m not there yet, fellas,” LaFleur said. “We’re just starting the process.”

If you want to read between the lines, it sounds like he is at least not ruling out some changes. Stay tuned.

Bretsky
01-22-2024, 08:14 PM
From MLF's 2023 season ending PC:

From MLF's 2024 season ending PC:

If you want to read between the lines, it sounds like he is at least not ruling out some changes. Stay tuned.

Doesn't he have a hisotry of taking his sweet time even when changes do occur....as candidates get plucked with new coach hires ?

KYPack
01-22-2024, 08:46 PM
Matt Schneidman A housekeeping note? Barry really is under contract?

Shit that outta be put in twenty foot letters in a marquee across 41!!!!

That's a big thing, but izzit true?

Starting to get a feel for LaFleur.

Brilliant offensive mind, with limitations in some parts of the job.

Like staff building.. Took him years to get a Teams coach. Still doesn't have a D coordinator.

Seeing as that's the one big fan issue, they got Matt Schneidman to float a blurb that JB is signed?

Dunno if I believe that shit.

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2024, 08:59 PM
I suspect they will fire Barry by Thursday. When does Gooter speak?

Joemailman
01-22-2024, 09:12 PM

Last year it was January 13, 5 days after their last game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWHrlfIlhvY

Fritz
01-23-2024, 08:23 AM
Matt Schneidman A housekeeping note? Barry really is under contract?

Shit that outta be put in twenty foot letters in a marquee across 41!!!!

That's a big thing, but izzit true?

Starting to get a feel for LaFleur.

Brilliant offensive mind, with limitations in some parts of the job.

Like staff building.. Took him years to get a Teams coach. Still doesn't have a D coordinator.

Seeing as that's the one big fan issue, they got Matt Schneidman to float a blurb that JB is signed?

Dunno if I believe that shit.

Agreed. On the one hand, he hired Stenavich as an O-line coach, and many of us here were skeptical, but he worked out as an O-line coach. On the other hand, he took his sweet time getting serious about ST, and he's really dragged out the defensive coordinator issues. I know he inherited Pettine, but his hiring of Joe Barely seemed more a result of just having experience with him rather than him being the best available defensive coordinator prospect.

run pMc
01-23-2024, 11:06 AM
I have a sinking feeling that he's back.

Joemailman
01-23-2024, 11:29 AM
I have a sinking feeling that he's back.

I'm not so sure. If MLF has made the decision to bring him back, he could have just said so right away like he did last year. My hope is that MLF will sit down with Gute, and Gute will convince MLF he can do better than Barry. The team that made the decision to move on from Aaron Rodgers should be able to move on from Joe Barry.

Freak Out
01-23-2024, 11:34 AM
Please rebuild the defense starting with a new DC!

Fritz
01-23-2024, 04:31 PM
I'm not so sure. If MLF has made the decision to bring him back, he could have just said so right away like he did last year. My hope is that MLF will sit down with Gute, and Gute will convince MLF he can do better than Barry. The team that made the decision to move on from Aaron Rodgers should be able to move on from Joe Barry.

It's like when you were in high school and your best friend tried to talk you into breaking up with your girlfriend/boyfriend. "You can do so much better! They're holding you back, man!"

Guter should bring in some high school kids to talk to MLF about this. They'll set him straight.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 08:30 AM
And thus concludes this venerable thread.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Mission_Accomplished_banner_on_the_USS_Abraham_Lin coln_%28CVN-72%29_%281%29.jpg

Fritz
01-24-2024, 08:42 AM
Let's hope it goes better than W's mission accomplished.

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2024, 09:03 AM
LOL @ Joe :)

KYPack
01-24-2024, 10:02 AM
Good bye "Bury Joe Barry" thread, We hardly knew ye.

SudsMcBucky
01-24-2024, 10:57 AM
Good bye "Bury Joe Barry" thread, We hardly knew ye.

Unfortunately we knew him FAR too long.

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2024, 12:44 PM

Congrats to you. I've often criticized you, but you sure nailed this one. What was the significance of "by Thursday"?

MadtownPacker
01-24-2024, 01:54 PM
Let's hope it goes better than W's mission accomplished.
Another poster who knows way better but still brings up politics. Why the fuck do you force this to happen??

Oh that’s right you can’t answer because you’re banned.

From now on first time 1 week, second 1 month and third Is Joe Barry status. I don’t give a shit how slight the reference.

NewsBruin
02-06-2024, 09:08 AM
The #Dolphins are hiring former #Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry as their linebackers coach/run game coordinator, per source.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1754855030992392632?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Hey, if you're gonna learn, why not learn on the job?

MadScientist
02-06-2024, 10:58 AM
The #Dolphins are hiring former #Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry as their linebackers coach/run game coordinator, per source.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1754855030992392632?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Hey, if you're gonna learn, why not learn on the job?

Linebackers coach, I can understand, but why make a guy who has never had a good run defense a run game coordinator? Good luck Miami, you'll need it.

texaspackerbacker
02-06-2024, 11:17 AM
hahahahaha We play the Dolphins this year, don't we?

Frozen Tundra
02-06-2024, 04:58 PM

Soon as the finalized schedule is released, Aaron Jones is gonna circle the date with a red magic marker.

NewsBruin
02-07-2024, 11:12 AM
Aaron Jones will make some slumber party invite (https://nypost.com/2023/08/31/lil-pump-sells-nfl-star-rb-aaron-jones-a-7m-miami-mansion/)s on his Crickut.

NewsBruin
02-07-2024, 02:12 PM
And I just read that we hired the guy who coached the Dolphins' linebackers for the last four years, so I'm all confused with these key-party transactions.
Silverstein says he'll be part of the transition into a 4-3.

I'm sure y'all already know this stuff, but news takes a while to trickle down here.

Frozen Tundra
02-07-2024, 02:43 PM
And I just read that we hired the guy who coached the Dolphins' linebackers for the last four years, so I'm all confused with these key-party transactions.
Silverstein says he'll be part of the transition into a 4-3.

I'm sure y'all already know this stuff, but news takes a while to trickle down here.

Yeah, we hired Anthony Campanile. This looks like a great hire. He's young, been successful in several positions and exposed to a number of different systems and schemes, and has a fiery, Clay Matthews-Kevin Greene personality. Supposedly very good at motivating players, so he should help bring our youngsters along.

If he works out, there's a good chance we lose him fairly soon as a DC. He applied for the Miami DC job, was mentioned as a replacement here for Barry, and was rumored to be a strong candidate to replace Hafley at BU (where he also coached for several years, as a defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator). So he's a man on the move, worked his way all the way up from linebacker coach at a high school after he got out of college.

God, these connections all sound incestuous, don't they?

NewsBruin
02-07-2024, 03:42 PM
If he loves what he does and has success at it, I'm sold.

Fritz
02-07-2024, 05:59 PM
If he loves what he does and has success at it, I'm sold.

The very definition of a VC Andrews novel . . .

Fritz
02-08-2024, 06:38 AM

Somebody at ACME is reading Packerrats, as I saw this quote in a story this morning - which is something several Rats kept saying last season. Bobble, was it? Or Thunder Dan? And others, too:

"Plenty of defenses around the league succeed with the scheme approach the Packers used in 2023, but the scheme doesn’t matter if you’re lining up your defense in the wrong call for the situation — an occurrence so common under Barry that you’d practically expect the Packers to give up a key conversion just because they had the wrong look for the situation."

bobblehead
02-08-2024, 11:58 AM
Somebody at ACME is reading Packerrats, as I saw this quote in a story this morning - which is something several Rats kept saying last season. Bobble, was it? Or Thunder Dan? And others, too:

"Plenty of defenses around the league succeed with the scheme approach the Packers used in 2023, but the scheme doesn’t matter if you’re lining up your defense in the wrong call for the situation — an occurrence so common under Barry that you’d practically expect the Packers to give up a key conversion just because they had the wrong look for the situation."

I only made that point once or twice, and others have said it just as often. It was so obvious it hurts. The QB sneak in Carolina was criminal. The spread DL 2-4 at the 3 yard line that allowed a draw play and a double team on one of the interior guys happened at least 5x this season. Lining the CBs right on the markers and allowing a catch 2-3 yards short that is next to impossible to tackle without giving up the YAC was a trademark. And having a MLB on Godwin all game long as he ate our lunch without adjusting almost cost me a new 80 inch TV.

run pMc
02-08-2024, 12:17 PM
There was a lot of miscommunication in the back 7, and you'd hope a guy with a DB coaching background like Halfass will get that sorted out pronto.
Agree it's less about the scheme and more about the gameplan, playcaller, and execution.

Every scheme has weaknesses, no do players. You have to minimize those for your team and exploit those of the other team. I think Barry could come up with decent game plans but couldn't get the details and communication down, and I don't think he could adjust well enough in-game as a playcaller with MLF getting in his ear. I also suspect that when the SHTF, he defaults to his Marinelli background of vanilla - rush 4 with a 2 high safety shell, which was a bit too conservative. Not getting that shell able to pass off receivers crossing a zone is a sin...coaches at lower levels of the game can teach players that effectively.

I think he'll be fine as a LB coach, but DC is a step to far for him. I'll be excited to see his LBs line up against Rodgers and the NYJ next season. ;)