PDA

View Full Version : Was pissing Rodgers off and drafting Love after the failed NFCCG worth it? 2020 revisited!

RashanGary
09-18-2023, 04:10 PM
It’s early, but Gute is looking awfully prophetic and Mark Murphy is about to preside over two consecutive masterful switches from HOF quarterbacks. Legacies could be built in this draft.

texaspackerbacker
09-18-2023, 06:19 PM
There's too many variables here. Firstly, we don't know for sure yet how good Love will be. Secondly, we don't know what other alternatives in later years there might have been that we could have gotten.

I genuinely believe, though, that if they had not mishandled things, Rodgers would have been gung ho about staying a Packer his whole career. I further believe that he would have played GOATish football well into his 40s.

But that's water over the dam now.

I also seriously entertain the thought of, if not totally believe on faith, Ol' Vince is up there in heaven lobbying the Good Lord FOR the Packers, and given that, things just might turn out great a third time with Love.

Bretsky
09-18-2023, 07:37 PM
It’s early, but Gute is looking awfully prophetic and Mark Murphy is about to preside over two consecutive masterful switches from HOF quarterbacks. Legacies could be built in this draft.

Lets take this a step further

Would you rather have drafted Love and pissed off Rodgers, OR kept our 4th, and drafted TEE HIGGINS ???

That was the basis of my vote

RashanGary
09-18-2023, 09:36 PM
Lets take this a step further

Would you rather have drafted Love and pissed off Rodgers, OR kept our 4th, and drafted TEE HIGGINS ???

That was the basis of my vote

It’s looking more and more like this could be an all time home run of a pick. We need to see some more, but it’s trending in a really good direction.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2023, 09:49 PM
I would say if you keep hyping him he will probably not be very good.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-18-2023, 11:56 PM
There's too many variables here. Firstly, we don't know for sure yet how good Love will be. Secondly, we don't know what other alternatives in later years there might have been that we could have gotten.

I genuinely believe, though, that if they had not mishandled things, Rodgers would have been gung ho about staying a Packer his whole career. I further believe that he would have played GOATish football well into his 40s.

But that's water over the dam now.

I also seriously entertain the thought of, if not totally believe on faith, Ol' Vince is up there in heaven lobbying the Good Lord FOR the Packers, and given that, things just might turn out great a third time with Love.

All I’ll say is, it impossible to argue logic with the fool who believes in…see Brandon thread in FYI.

texaspackerbacker
09-19-2023, 12:01 AM
There shoulda been a "none of the above" option.

As I said, there are too many variables/too many ways things could have gone to say for sure.

I was against drafting Love at the time. In hindsight now, it drafting Love seems to be a great idea, although even that is too early to say.

I see you can select multiple things. Since I couldn't pick "none", I was tempted to check each choice, but I didn't want to spoil your poll hahaha.

texaspackerbacker
09-19-2023, 12:02 AM
All I’ll say is, it impossible to argue logic with the fool who believes in…see Brandon thread in FYI.

hahahahaha You Non-Believer.

sharpe1027
09-21-2023, 07:12 AM
Rodgers was pissed before Love was drafted. The narrative that the draft pick is why he left is not necessarily true. He was probably gone either way.

Put another way, even if Rodgers got all butt hurt about one draft pick, he was clearly a risk to leave and they were smart to prepare for that possibility.

Further, this year proved that even if he had stayed, having a capable backup is just good sense with an aging QB.

Also, I didn't vote because I don't agree with any of the poll options.

MadtownPacker
09-22-2023, 08:23 AM
One week ban, in case anyone else feels like mentioning FYI again. It has nothing to do with this area and you know better. Actually let’s make it two weeks since you made me go through the trouble.

MadtownPacker
09-22-2023, 08:24 AM
hahahahaha You Non-Believer.
Final warning - engaging will be considered the same.

MadtownPacker
09-22-2023, 03:32 PM
Btw this poll also sucks because it doesn’t have the option for: If anything he was drafted a year TOO late.

He could have gotten the learning experience last year instead of watching your former object of affection get treated like a punching bag by defenses.

MadScientist
09-22-2023, 04:41 PM
Btw this poll also sucks because it doesn’t have the option for: If anything he was drafted a year TOO late.

He could have gotten the learning experience last year instead of watching your former object of affection get treated like a punching bag by defenses.

I would agree with you, except for the sorry lot of QB's after the Packers drafted in that draft. The best bet for the Packers would have been getting Gardner Minshew in the 5th instead of Kingsley Keke. However I don't think that would have lit a fire under Rodgers or made anyone want to trade him.

call_me_ishmael
09-22-2023, 09:46 PM
Of course not, taking love was a terrible choice even if he becomes a good player. If he becomes a transcendent player then it was worth it. They didn’t win a Super Bowl likely because of the 2020 draft.

Joemailman
09-22-2023, 10:10 PM
Of course not, taking love was a terrible choice even if he becomes a good player. If he becomes a transcendent player then it was worth it. They didn’t win a Super Bowl likely because of the 2020 draft.

They didn't win a Super Bowl because Bakhtiari blew out his knee at the end of the year. And because arguably the coaching staff made the wrong decision on who to start at LT.

Bretsky
09-22-2023, 11:05 PM
They didn't win a Super Bowl because Bakhtiari blew out his knee at the end of the year. And because arguably the coaching staff made the wrong decision on who to start at LT.

But they were still so close….perhaps as little as one wide receiver like tee Higgins running a great pattern and getting open for a sin Ming touchdown. I think you cam make the argument that he did and it’s a valid view

Joemailman
09-22-2023, 11:14 PM
But they were still so close….perhaps as little as one wide receiver like tee Higgins running a great pattern and getting open for a sin Ming touchdown. I think you cam make the argument that he did and it’s a valid view

There's nothing valid about it at all. The Packers WR's in that game had about 250 yards and 2 TD's. They didn't lose that game because their WR's weren't good enough.

sharpe1027
09-23-2023, 07:39 AM

Or the rookie WR runs the wrong route leading to a pick 6 and the Packers get blown out.

bobblehead
09-23-2023, 12:18 PM
I love it. Owners and fans always think they are just "one player from winning it all".

Here is the truth. The player that stopped us from beating TB was Rodgers himself when he didn't run for the endzone on 2nd or 3rd down. The refs also played a big role. "one more player" may or may not have made a difference.

Joemailman
09-23-2023, 06:07 PM
Or the rookie WR runs the wrong route leading to a pick 6 and the Packers get blown out.

Or the rookie is open and Rodgers tries to force in another pass to Davante.

sharpe1027
09-23-2023, 10:26 PM
Or he gets hurt and doesn't contribute at all

KYPack
09-23-2023, 11:06 PM

Ya meant Cobb, didn't ya Joe? (Det game last year)

Joemailman
09-23-2023, 11:41 PM
Ya meant Cobb, didn't ya Joe? (Det game last year)

Actually I was referring to the 2020 NFCCG against Tampa Bay. Davante was targeted 15 times.

Fritz
09-24-2023, 08:24 AM
Actually I was referring to the 2020 NFCCG against Tampa Bay. Davante was targeted 15 times.

Both cases true. The bigger point is, even if you grant Bretsky's wish and have Tee Higgins running wide open, he'd have been a rookie, and - Doh! - Rodtgers doesn't throw to rookies. Sometimes not even to wide open vets, because he didn't "trust" them like he did his sacred few.

So Bretsky, I don't think your opinion is a good one here. Not at all.

texaspackerbacker
09-24-2023, 08:55 AM
Rodgers always spread it around to a bunch of receivers. That's one thing Love seems to have learned from him.

Upnorth
09-26-2023, 10:32 PM
Rodgers always spread it around to a bunch of receivers. That's one thing Love seems to have learned from him.

The biggest thing I see is how he moves in the pocket. It's beautiful. 4 games against real d and he routinely resets the pocket. Finds pressure reliefs, it awesome.
Now he just needs to improve his accuracy

MadScientist
09-26-2023, 10:54 PM

Early in his career, yes. (Brett did that as well). The last year or two, the ball didn't get spread around nearly as much. I'd put that equally on the the lack of quality receivers and Rodgers just going to guys that had been there long enough for him to start trusting.

bobblehead
09-27-2023, 12:40 PM

At his best, yes. At his worst, not even close. When Rodgers was motivated to be his best I would take no one before him. That chip on his shoulder seemed to come and go though.

smuggler
09-27-2023, 05:49 PM
We wanted Jefferson/Raegor. We missed the boat on both. We had the trade in place, pulled the trigger. It was too early and hurt us and probably cost us a Super Bowl in 2020, but there is no such thing as perfect timing. Hard to fault them, if they actually believed Love was a top-15 player.

call_me_ishmael
09-27-2023, 10:35 PM
At his best, yes. At his worst, not even close. When Rodgers was motivated to be his best I would take no one before him. That chip on his shoulder seemed to come and go though.

Woulda been a site to behold this year. I wanted to see him as a 5 time MVP and up there with Peyton. I just dunno if he will have the same level of juice next year even if pissed off.

texaspackerbacker
09-28-2023, 12:41 AM
sight, not site hahahaha