PDA

View Full Version : Has Detroit improved over last year?

woodbuck27
09-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Posted September 16, 2006

Point-Counterpoint: Has Detroit improved over last year?

Point by Brett Christopherson, The Post-Crescent

So the Detroit Lions limit the high-octane Seattle Seahawks offense to just 264 yards and no touchdowns in their season-opener last Sunday at Ford Field.

They hold one of the NFL's top running backs in Shaun Alexander to 51 yards rushing on 19 carries.

They even post five sacks and block a pair of field goal attempts against the reigning NFC champs.

Not the kind of stuff we're used to seeing out of the hapless Lions.

But here's something that's become all too familiar over the years: Detroit still lost the game 9-6.

The Lions may feature an improved defense, but until they learn how to move the ball on a consistent basis and put points on the board, consider it status quo in Motown.

In other words, Lions fans can expect to join Packers Nation in wishing their teams were still suiting up come playoff time.

Counterpoint by Richard Arguello, The Post-Crescent

It's been a common occurrence the past several seasons in the NFL.

A team that struggled the year before plays completely out of its mind to surprise the rest of the league.

You saw it with Chicago last season, Atlanta two seasons ago and Carolina in 2003.

Why not Detroit this season? They have a new coach from a proven defensive system (Cover 2) and the Bears showed last season that a good defense can you win you plenty of games, even if you have a rookie, third-string quarterback.

Well the Lions are better offensively than the Bears of 2005 and the Detroit defense is on its way to being dominant.

Holding the defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks to three field goals in a 9-6 loss proved that.

They might not win 11 games like last year's Bears, but there's no reason they can't win eight or nine and in the NFC, that might be good enough to get you to the playoffs.

Kiwon
09-17-2006, 02:41 AM
Yes, next question.

Scott Campbell
09-17-2006, 08:15 AM
Detroit cut bait with Harrington and Rogers this offseason. So for those hoping for us to tank this year because some high draft picks will assure a quick turn around, they are a cautionary tale. No guarantees.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-17-2006, 08:19 AM
To early to tell. Many teams lose there first game and then win the super bowl and others have won there first game and suck after that. The loins IMO need to little more on both offense and defense and maybe they can turn it around.

lord favre
09-17-2006, 11:30 AM
The Lions will be exposed today...I seem to remember last year after week one the Lions were thought to be on the rise and then Chicago beat the shit out of them.

lord favre
09-17-2006, 01:11 PM
24-0 Bears with 3 minutes left in the first half, yeah, Lions have improved...

Scott Campbell
09-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Carolina just got a TD on Minny.

lord favre
09-17-2006, 04:14 PM
I think this debate can be put to bed now, Detroit still focking sucks. 2 years in a row everyone is licking their ball sack after one game and then BOOM, back to earth in week 2 courtesy of the Bears.

b bulldog
09-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Good enough to hand the Pack their third staight loss next week.

BallHawk
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM

If we lose that game, I will officialy give up hope. I'm seeing a solid improvement each week, but not enough to win.

So close, yet so far.

lord favre
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Nah, I think you guys got this one, the Lions are horrible. The Packers D gave us a much better fight than the Lion cubs. They din't even get a sniff of Grossman, I actually saw Grossman stop during his drop back, set the ball down, adjust his crotch, pick the ball back up and a complete a pass.

b bulldog
09-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Brett will have a disasterous game next week. Two or three pics and a fumble. Who is going to block Rogers?

lord favre
09-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Brett will have a disasterous game next week. Two or three pics and a fumble. Who is going to block Rogers?

He was invisible this week and even hobbled off the field a few times...

Scott Campbell
09-17-2006, 04:30 PM
They din't even get a sniff of Grossman, I actually saw Grossman stop during his drop back, set the ball down, adjust his crotch, pick the ball back up and a complete a pass.

Boxers, briefs or panties?

red
09-17-2006, 04:32 PM

the three new guys in the middle that have actually been protection brett pretty well. its the 2 vet tackles that are sucking it up

The Leaper
09-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Colledge played well today. I like how he has bounced back from his demotion. The interior of our OL has a lot of promise in the future with Well, Colledge, Spitz and Moll.

justanotherpackfan
09-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Colledge played well today. I like how he has bounced back from his demotion. The interior of our OL has a lot of promise in the future with Well, Colledge, Spitz and Moll.
I agree that the line played a lot better and gave Favre time to throw the ball but I don't see us going into Detroit and beating the Lions. I mean, that team is so good that when they score 6 points it seems like 40. :roll:

Dabaddestbear
09-18-2006, 01:55 AM
I predict the packers will win one here. I predicted they would beat N.O. but I guess I jinxed them...lol. You Guys are lucky Lions fans dont know about this site cuz then you would see what a real troll is. They are like fungus over on the Bears site. well that was prior to the lost. Havent seen one since.