PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Chargers Vs. Packers

Fritz
11-20-2023, 07:37 AM
I could only watch snippets of the game, so not much for me to say in terms of impressions, except that it seems there was some improvement though it also sounds like a horribly sloppy game on both sides.

Still, first 300-yard passing game in almost two years for a Packer quarterback. Christian Watson actually caught a couple passes. Love only underthrew a couple times on his bombs. Defense held up at the end of the game, despite having a defensive backfield that looked like the Island of Misfit Toys.

I think Bobble wrote that the Packers are now rotating Walker and Nijman at left tackle. That's just weird. Which one played better?

Does Anthony Johnson show any promise, or is he what he was drafted - a seventh-round pick? Did Emmanuel Wilson flash anything before he got hurt? Did Sean Rhyan play?

Discuss.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2023, 10:07 AM
Packers need to draft or acquire a hip hop safety. Michael Phelps’ husband sucks

The film says Love’s game winner was a tad under thrown. Too much air from “Air” Jordan. Gave DB the opportunity to knock rock away. Doubs made a great play.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2023, 10:34 AM
Love wasn’t perfect, but overall game was inspiring nonetheless.

Got sacked in the clutch and was pissed as fuck, presumably at a young un for running the wrong route. The emotion, too, was inspiring.

texaspackerbacker
11-20-2023, 10:56 AM
Glad to see you're coming around about Love, APB hahahaha.

Owens did mess up severely on that 51 yard TD, but most of the game, he and Johnson were decent, especially considering that they both were UDFAs. Ditto that for V and B alentine, and Nixon was damn good most of the time. Even that PI near the end was probably smart, as it probably prevented a long gainer.

Wilson maybe "flashed" a little bit depending how you define it before getting hurt. And Dillon continued to be decent. Mostly, though, the O Line wasn't very good. With very few exceptions, Love was rushed hard, escaping like Rodgers a lot of times, way more than he got sacked. All of the young WRs and both young TEs were damn good.

The D was better than usual against what was supposed to be a good offensive team - less suckage against the run and a decent pass rush more often than not.

Several teams around the league have scrap heap kickers that are doing better than our draft pick. The Cowboys kid who never even played football (not American anyway) in college, set some kind of a record for consecutive made FGs to start his career. We need to at least bring in some competition to put some fear in Carlson.

I'm looking forward to seeing which 1, maybe 2 scrap heap RBs we bring in. I Googled Patrick Taylor after the game, and I guess he plays for New England now. Too bad he ain't available.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2023, 11:18 AM
Glad to see you're coming around about Love, APB hahahaha.

Owens did mess up severely on that 51 yard TD, but most of the game, he and Johnson were decent, especially considering that they both were UDFAs. Ditto that for V and B alentine, and Nixon was damn good most of the time. Even that PI near the end was probably smart, as it probably prevented a long gainer.

Wilson maybe "flashed" a little bit depending how you define it before getting hurt. And Dillon continued to be decent. Mostly, though, the O Line wasn't very good. With very few exceptions, Love was rushed hard, escaping like Rodgers a lot of times, way more than he got sacked. All of the young WRs and both young TEs were damn good.

The D was better than usual against what was supposed to be a good offensive team - less suckage against the run and a decent pass rush more often than not.

Several teams around the league have scrap heap kickers that are doing better than our draft pick. The Cowboys kid who never even played football (not American anyway) in college, set some kind of a record for consecutive made FGs to start his career. We need to at least bring in some competition to put some fear in Carlson.

I'm looking forward to seeing which 1, maybe 2 scrap heap RBs we bring in. I Googled Patrick Taylor after the game, and I guess he plays for New England now. Too bad he ain't available.

Owens was terrible. Missed a tons of tackles. Awful in coverage. The Allen TD, corner had the outside well covered; Owens chased afte the corner route instead staying inside for gimme pick.

Taylor’s on the Traitor’s practice squad, I believe. Packers have the option of signing Taylor to their active roster. I’d rather the Packers sign someone with speed.

Joemailman
11-20-2023, 11:46 AM
Owens was terrible. Missed a tons of tackles. Awful in coverage. The Allen TD, corner had the outside well covered; Owens chased afte the corner route instead staying inside for gimme pick.

Taylor’s on the Traitor’s practice squad, I believe. Packers have the option of signing Taylor to their active roster. I’d rather the Packers sign someone with speed.

Was at the game yesterday. Agree on Owens. Guy is as stiff as Aaron Rouse and doesn't have the speed. But what are you going to do? With Rasul traded, and Jaire, Savage and Rudy Ford out, kudos to the coaching staff that the defensive secondary isn't a total train wreck. They're having to get by with guys who played the 2nd half of preseason games. Far from a perfect win, but it was nice to see Packers win a game because they made fewer dumb mistakes than the opposition. They've lost a few of those.

ThunderDan
11-20-2023, 12:13 PM

I just didn't see this at all. The Chargers rushed 24 times for 150 yards or 6.3 a carry. If you remove Herbert, you have 16 carries and 77 yards or 4.8 a carry. I still don't know why the Chargers didn't rush more.

And while we say the back end held up pretty well for a bunch of scrubs and not high draft picks (which I think they did considering we started Valentine, Balentine, Nixon, Owens and Anderson), if it wasn't for 4 dropped passes this game is probably a 10 point Chargers win. There were WRs and TEs running wide open down the field over and over.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-20-2023, 12:47 PM
And while the Packer offense (Love) did put up good numbers, so has all the rest of the teams the Chargers have faced. The chargers are like last in the league in yards allowed.

Joemailman
11-20-2023, 12:52 PM
A lot of people here having a hard time enjoying a win.

ThunderDan
11-20-2023, 12:55 PM

Nope, great game, perfect late fall weather. I had a great time with my son.

That doesn't mean you can't look at the game with a critical eye to see where we need to improve.

Joemailman
11-20-2023, 12:58 PM
Packers sign RG James Robinson.

After being signed to the practice squad in mid-October, Robinson was released by Green Bay on Nov. 7 to make room for running back Ellis Merriweather, who the team signed in his place.

red
11-20-2023, 01:07 PM
Probably shouldn’t have won the game, but this is the first time we’ve seen the team take a step forward

They kept saying the jr told love this week that he can’t worry so much about making mistake and just let the ball fly. Why the hell did it take so long for that conversation to happen?

Love needs to ditch the high floating deep ball that he keeps under throwing. He can throw darts just as inaccurately with less chance of ints

bobblehead
11-20-2023, 01:58 PM
PFF scored Walker as 2nd best and Nijman as bottom 5 on offense. Not sure my eyes said the same. Walker is so bad as a run blocker imo that its nearly a liability. Nijman did get called for a penalty that wasn't a penalty (come on, Trent Williams has timed the snap for a decade without a single flag). I'll have to rewatch to see if the disparity was that bad, but it wasn't my perception in game. Walker was MUCH better in pass pro this game than he has been at times.

MadScientist
11-20-2023, 03:38 PM
Probably shouldn’t have won the game, but this is the first time we’ve seen the team take a step forward

They kept saying the jr told love this week that he can’t worry so much about making mistake and just let the ball fly. Why the hell did it take so long for that conversation to happen?

Love needs to ditch the high floating deep ball that he keeps under throwing. He can throw darts just as inaccurately with less chance of ints

I think it would be more accurate to say that Love needs to know when to float it and when to fire it. The pass that was overthrown to Musgrave was flat and didn't give him a chance. A little more air and that is a huge gain. The TD to Watson had just the right amount of touch. Others were just fired and the receivers needed to make the play. For the most part they did.

The Chargers don't have a good defense, but the Packers actually took advantage of it, unlike the Denver game. Jones didn't play much but the offence still moved the ball. Those are definitely signs of improvement.

Guiness
11-20-2023, 04:48 PM

I'm happy with the win and how the Pack got it, but (I'm sure you could hear that coming) I'm with ThunderDan

The Chargers rushed 24 times for 150 yards or 6.3 a carry. If you remove Herbert, you have 16 carries and 77 yards or 4.8 a carry.

Pack scored 23 points, it's not like it was a track meet. If they or any other team commits to the run I'm not convinced they can do much about it.

ThunderDan
11-20-2023, 04:49 PM
Leavitt got released this afternoon.

Guiness
11-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Clark's batted pass was a great game finisher, and rewatching the same play Gary de-cleated Ekeler who was trying to chip him. There were 3 significant times I saw him go down for little or no reason. Add to that K. Mack going down from a WR chip, the Chargers equipment manager should not have been let on the plane ride home.

Joemailman
11-20-2023, 05:08 PM
PFF Best/Worse Packer Grades:

Top 5 offense

1. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 76.1
2. LT Rasheed Walker: 73.5
3. RT Zach Tom: 72.6
4. WR Romeo Doubs: 71.9
5. RB A.J. Dillon: 69.3

Wicks produced 91 receiving yards and drew a crucial defensive pass interference penalty on just 15 routes run. He did have a drop, but he otherwise produced three first downs on catches over 20 yards and forced four missed tackles. Walker gave up one pressure (sack) over 28 pass-blocking snaps. Tom allowed just one hurry over 44 pass-blocking snaps. Doubs caught five of his six targets, made a contested catch and had a 143.1 passer rating when targeted. Dillon caught four targets and gained 34 yards after first contact.

Top 5 defense

1. DL Kenny Clark: 89.8
2. DL Karl Brooks: 81.0
3. CB Corey Ballentine: 71.5
4. OLB Kingsley Enagbare: 67.0
5. S Anthony Johnson Jr.: 62.6

Clark had a team-high six hurries, plus a crucial forced fumble in the red zone and the game-ending batted pass over 49 total snaps. Brooks delivered a sack and a hurry over 19 pass-rushing snaps and held up well against the run. Ballentine gave up just one catch for 17 yards on four targets into his coverage and made four tackles without a miss. Enagbare had a hurry and a tackle for loss over 22 snaps. Johnson Jr. didn’t give up a single catch over 64 total snaps.

Bottom 5 offense

1. RG Sean Rhyan: 43.4
2. RB Aaron Jones: 46.4
3. LT Yosh Nijman: 52.1
4. TE Ben Sims: 53.6
5. WR Malik Heath: 56.1

Rhyan gave up a hurry on just four pass-blocking snaps. Jones dropped another pass and had just 17 total yards on five touches. Nijman gave up three pressures, including a sack, and had a penalty over 31 snaps at left tackle. Sims graded out below average as a blocker. Heath got dinged big for his one pass-blocking snap, which resulted in a quarterback hit.

Bottom 5 defense

1. S Jonathan Owens: 40.5
2. LB De’Vondre Campbell: 44.1
3. DL T.J. Slaton: 45.4
4. LB Isaiah McDuffie: 45.8
5. DL Devonte Wyatt: 45.8

Owens missed a tackle on the 51-yard touchdown and also gave up four catches and a touchdown in coverage. Campbell missed two tackles and gave up two catches; he earned poor grades across the board. Slaton missed a tackle and got a poor run defense grade despite making one stop. McDuffie missed a tackle and gave up a first-down catch. Wyatt had two pressures but missed two tackles; finishing continues to be a big issue.

run pMc
11-20-2023, 06:41 PM
I think the LAC beat themselves more than the GB defense stopped them. Not to say there weren't some good defensive plays or even series by GB, but the Chargers were without Mike Williams, Josh Palmer, and Gerald Everett as pass catchers. I'm a little surprised they didn't try to run the ball more as well, but they didn't have great success with it outside of Herbert's scrambles and one long Ekeler run. Still, even Matt Canada figured out that if you trot out 11 personnel GB will play nickel and you can run inside on them. I'd think Kellen Moore could do the same.
I'll say this - kudos to Barry and staff for winning with a defensive backfield of Valentine, Ballentine, Owens and AJJ. That's a JV secondary compared to the hospital ward of Jaire, Stokes, Savage and Ford. Herbert should have absolutely picked them apart, except he had Keenan Allen and crash test dummies to throw to. OK, something called Donald Parham Jr. caught a lot of passes and proved hard to tackle.

This was a case of two bad-to-mediocre (at this point) teams playing each other, if GB had played a top tier team they would have lost by 14. Dropped passes, slipping on the turf, bad tackling, poor blocking, yuck.

I do think the GB offense showed signs of life. They didn't force the ball to Watson, and they put him in a few positions to succeed. He didn't always, but he wasn't bad. Doubs had the nice TD catch. I think they are WR4 and WR3 respectively. Reed and Wicks are the better WR right now. Wicks had a bad drop, and ran the wrong route (or didn't cut it short) on the sack/intentional grounding that Love got mad about. Still, he gets open, has some RAC ability, and isn't afraid of the moment. Reed has some shake and bake to him as well. All these young guys need to work on their hands, and they should improve with experience. Musgrave somehow was overthrown by Love (probably the only time he's overthrown someone) on what could have been a game breaker for them. Otherwise they are getter a little smarter about how to use him and Kraft. Those little DickRod routes? Kraft should do those, he can actually make a guy miss or run them over. Musgrave can't but he can run the seam like a deer. TEs also looked like they are learning to block. Incremental improvements. Deguara got ONE play on offense.

I didn't think they'd win this game but thought they had a chance to, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I think it's a game they can build off, and helps to shorten/break any losing streaks. Will be good for the youngsters confidence and development, but beyond that I don't think it was a convincing win or anything.

ThunderDan
11-20-2023, 06:58 PM
Deguara got hurt somehow. They put up on one of the 50 yard line scoreboards, that he was questionable to return.

Bretsky
11-20-2023, 09:47 PM

Regardless of how Tex like rats are, they know we are not going anywhere this year so games like this just help BarryBall stick around

texaspackerbacker
11-20-2023, 10:42 PM
I just didn't see this at all. The Chargers rushed 24 times for 150 yards or 6.3 a carry. If you remove Herbert, you have 16 carries and 77 yards or 4.8 a carry. I still don't know why the Chargers didn't rush more.

And while we say the back end held up pretty well for a bunch of scrubs and not high draft picks (which I think they did considering we started Valentine, Balentine, Nixon, Owens and Anderson), if it wasn't for 4 dropped passes this game is probably a 10 point Chargers win. There were WRs and TEs running wide open down the field over and over.

hahahaha I didn't say they didn't suck against the run, I just said less than usual.

APB and whoever else doesn't like Owens: I see him as having "a nose for the ball"/instinctive to some extent anyway - as opposed to somebody like Savage.

True about teh drops - shit happens, and it was nice to see it happen to somebody else for once.