PDA

View Full Version : Packers vs. Lions II Discussion Thread

Joemailman
11-20-2023, 01:26 PM
Packers lead all-time series 105-76-7. 103-76-7 in regular season, 2-0 in playoffs. Lions have won the last 4 meetings.

Last meeting: September 28, 2023. Lions defeated the Packers 34-20 at Lambeau. Lions had 401 total yards compared to 230 for Packers. Lions rushed for 211 yards, led by David Montgomery with 121 yards and 3 TD's.

Offensively, Lions rank 6th in points scored and 2nd in total yards. Jared Goff has thrown for 2743 yards with 16 TD's and 8 INT's. Amonm-Ra St. Brown leads Lions in receiving with 898 yards and 5 TD's in 9 games. David Montgomery in 7 games has rushed for 577 yards and 8 TD's.

Defensively Lions rank 22nd in points allowed, and 9th in yards allowed. Opposing QB's have thrown for 2235 yards with 16 TD's and 8 INT's. Opponents have rushed for 898 yards and 8 TD's for a YPC of 3.8.

Lions favored by 7.5.
Moneyline: Packers +287, Lions -361
Over/under - 47

bobblehead
11-20-2023, 01:51 PM
The Lions were looking ahead to playing us on Thanksgiving. They almost lost to the lowly Bears. But alas, they pulled it off and I'm pretty sure will be loaded for....er green and gold come Thursday. We won't get them napping, we will get their best effort. Sadly that is better than our best effort. We managed to beat a below average team in an advantageous situation yesterday, but its unlikely we pull off this one.
Things to look for. Love continuing to spread the ball around. Watson being used correctly. Reed LINING UP at RB and taking a direct handoff about 7 times ala Randal Cobb. Packers going 5 wide multiple times with no RB on the field. Maybe 4 wide with Musgrave inline.

Lets see what happens when Barry has to play a team willing to smash it down our throat if we line up soft. SD didn't do it. Eck got 10 carries for 61 yards against a team that can't stop the run. How fucking bad of a coach is Staley anyway. Don't expect Detroit to go pass happy in this one. If we can hold Detroit to under 30 I'll be impressed.

wthigoot
11-20-2023, 03:32 PM
Nice win over the Clippers in the last game. Have to win one of the next two, then all the rest of the games are winnable. Amazing they are just outside the playoffs right now.

Hard to see how to win this one - best chance, have some long drives and eat up the clock. Win turnover battle, the usual stuff needed for an upset.

Go 1-1 in the next 2. Favorable schedule gives an actual decent chance to get in the playoffs.

Joemailman
11-20-2023, 04:29 PM
Savage back to practice is about the only good news here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_aCA0yWUAAOUPb?format=jpg&name=large

QBME
11-20-2023, 04:32 PM
One can only hope that Jared Goff reverts to being, well, Jared Goff.
Maybe, just maybe, Jordan Love clicks another click and the game slows down just a tad more.
Crowd will be infected with Coach Campbell craziness - double edged sword?
DC Joe Barry oversleeps and misses the game.
I picked a hell of a week to stop sniffing glue.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-20-2023, 04:35 PM
One can only hope that Jared Goff reverts to being, well, Jared Goff.
Maybe, just maybe, Jordan Love clicks another click and the game slows down just a tad more.
Crowd will be infected with Coach Campbell craziness - double edged sword?
DC Joe Barry oversleeps and misses the game.
I picked a hell of a week to stop sniffing glue.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst..

Joemailman
11-20-2023, 04:39 PM
Sign RB Patrick Taylor off Patriots practice squad

The Packers brought back Taylor, who played in four games for Green Bay earlier this season and has been with the team since 2020. He moved on after being released in October but is back given the Packers’ need at running back. The move implies that both Aaron Jones and Emanuel Wilson will miss Thursday’s showdown with the Lions. Taylor can run, catch and block on offense and is well-versed on special teams, giving him immediate value behind A.J. Dillon against the Lions. The Packers didn’t place Jones or Wilson on injured reserve, suggesting the team doesn’t think either player will miss four or more games. Taylor could play 15 snaps or more in the No. 2 running back role on Thursday.

Release S Dallin Leavitt

Needing a roster spot for Patrick Taylor, the Packers released veteran special teamer Dallin Leavitt. The move is a bit of a surprise given Leavitt’s role on special teams (192 snaps in 2023), but he’s a third-phase player only and is coming off a game in which he drew a pair of penalties on the opening kickoff. The Packers also designated Darnell Savage for return from injured reserve, so the depth at safety is improving. It’s possible the roster, given the injuries at running back, just didn’t have enough room for a specialized player like Leavitt, especially after his meltdown to open Sunday’s game. Given the circumstances, a return might be unlikely.

Sign RB James Robinson to practice squad

A move reported earlier Monday. Robinson spent a few weeks on the Packers practice squad earlier this season and now returns as a likely elevation candidate for Thursday. The former Jaguars running back and All-Rookie team pick provides another veteran option should the Packers need help behind A.J. Dillon against the Lions. Expect him to be elevated from the practice squad and be active Thursday. It’ll be Dillon, Taylor and Robinson at running back for the Thanksgiving Day showdown.

Release S Christian Young from practice squad

The Packers needed to make a spot for Robinson on the practice squad, and releasing rookie safety Christian Young was the mechanism for getting it done. Young signed to the practice squad on Oct. 3. It’s possible he could return once the Packers get through their issues on the injury front at running back.

MadtownPacker
11-20-2023, 05:41 PM
Well damn expect goodell to swing the refs in Detroit’s favor….

He may have received some fan .. service.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-takes-173328598.html

run pMc
11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Wasn't sure Taylor would want to come back, he got yo-yo'd around bt the PS and 53 a lot. He's a good enough backup who can play ST and knows the pass protections. Well, he'll be on the 53 for at least a few games.
Robinson could get a call-up as well. He's largely shot since he blew out his Achilles but the GB RBs can only get 3-4 yards at best (plus a cloud of dust if lucky) it might not matter much.

I wonder if Zayne Anderson made Leavitt expendable. Leavitt is a nice ST guy who can rally the troops and all but he's an absolute liability at S. If he's not even doing well at ST you move on. I know he's Bisaccia's guy and his salary should be guaranteed for the season since he was on the roster since TC but when you're a struggling team you have to make moves to get better.

I think the pressure will be on DET actually - they haven't won a Thanksgiving game in several years and Goff was getting booed after his third pick vs. CHI. Crowd will be amped up for sure, and DET is the better team, but GB goes in as a better team than they were in Game 4 and are the clear underdogs. Sometimes going in with nothing to lose can make a difference.

DET raced out to a big lead last time, but technically GB outscored them in the 2nd half. If GB doesn't beat themselves, and decides to punch back, they could at least keep this game competitive. I think DET wins, but am hoping for a close game where GB continues to show some growth.

Kendra Lust LOL.

bobblehead
11-20-2023, 09:45 PM
Savage back to practice is about the only good news here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_aCA0yWUAAOUPb?format=jpg&name=large

Is it though??

texaspackerbacker
11-20-2023, 10:56 PM
I'm glad to see Patrick Taylor coming back. Anybody know how serious Jones's injury or Wilson's is?

I would not be surprised at all if the Packers upset the Lions.

RashanGary
11-21-2023, 06:33 AM
Well damn expect goodell to swing the refs in Detroit’s favor….

He may have received some fan .. service.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-takes-173328598.html

Haha!!

RashanGary
11-21-2023, 06:35 AM
I'm glad to see Patrick Taylor coming back. Anybody know how serious Jones's injury or Wilson's is?

I would not be surprised at all if the Packers upset the Lions.

Me either. We were watching the game and I said, I hope they score here. Give love 4.5 minutes, I think he has it today. He was getting pissed when things didn’t go right and he seemed genuinely happy and comfortable when things were rolling. I just thought he found a comfort zone and started being himself. And he was groovin on the field with that comfort zone he was in.

Last week could be the moment his career takes off.

Fritz
11-21-2023, 07:25 AM
Me either. We were watching the game and I said, I hope they score here. Give love 4.5 minutes, I think he has it today. He was getting pissed when things didn’t go right and he seemed genuinely happy and comfortable when things were rolling. I just thought he found a comfort zone and started being himself. And he was groovin on the field with that comfort zone he was in.

Last week could be the moment his career takes off.

This week the only thing that's gonna take off is Aidan Hutchinsin around or through the Packers' offensive tackles, whoever they may be this week.

Lions are going to be on fire - that crowd will be absolutely wild. It's going to be a question of withstanding the first ten minues of the game. Not sure this young team has the poise to do that, and they certainly don't match up in terms of talent. Plus the Loins are not as depleted, injury-wise.

I'm afraid I see glimmers, mere glimmers, of hope this week, with the Loins starting fast out of the gate, and after some competitive play, pulling away big at the end.

Joemailman
11-21-2023, 10:13 AM
Anything is possible, but of the remaining games on the Packers schedule, this game looks like the most unlikely to result in a Packers win.

bobblehead
11-21-2023, 11:29 AM
This week the only thing that's gonna take off is Aidan Hutchinsin around or through the Packers' offensive tackles, whoever they may be this week.

Lions are going to be on fire - that crowd will be absolutely wild. It's going to be a question of withstanding the first ten minues of the game. Not sure this young team has the poise to do that, and they certainly don't match up in terms of talent. Plus the Loins are not as depleted, injury-wise.

I'm afraid I see glimmers, mere glimmers, of hope this week, with the Loins starting fast out of the gate, and after some competitive play, pulling away big at the end.

Work the run game all week in practice. Take the ball first and put together a drawn out 7 minute drive even if you only get a FG. That should calm the fans down at least until Barry fields his excuse for a defense.

run pMc
11-21-2023, 11:49 AM
Was Week 4 the one where everyone on the OL was hurt? IIRC they were without Bakh and Jenkins, I think Runyan got hurt in game and Tom was hobbling around too.
Hutchinson is a problem to block but I think they'll do better. Only thing is that turf sucks and the dome will be loud.

I don't think they will have much success running the ball, but they can't start the game throwing 6 straight times either. If nothing else maybe try mixing things up a little, GB is very predictable on 1st down - they run the ball the vast majority of the time. Maybe start with a safe short throw and do what it takes to keep their offense off the field. David Montgomery is probably still running thru holes in the defense in MLF's nightmares. Oh, and don't play 2 DL nickel on the 2 yard line.

As with most games, it will be won in the trenches and I think DET is better there on both sides of the ball.

Joemailman
11-21-2023, 11:49 AM
Work the run game all week in practice. Take the ball first and put together a drawn out 7 minute drive even if you only get a FG. That should calm the fans down at least until Barry fields his excuse for a defense.

All week in practice just means today. And they won't want to risk injury to Dillon in practice. Dillon was listed on the injury report yesterday with a groin. They likely started working on the gameplan late last week and that's what they'll go with. Except they might have to take Wicks and Musgrave out of the gameplan. Only way I see Packers winning this game is if the D/ST score at least 1 TD.

Joemailman
11-21-2023, 03:31 PM
Not much changed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_fKbGQXIAANlLM?format=jpg&name=large

Fosco33
11-21-2023, 03:36 PM
Fuck Thursday games.

That is all

Joemailman
11-21-2023, 03:57 PM
Ryan Wood

Matt LaFleur says Luke Musgrave not only has a "pretty significant" abdomen injury but was actually in the hospital. He played through it, told Flea the next day. LaFleur says Musgrave is "going to be a dynamic player" and credits his toughness: "He didn't say anything all game."

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

LaFleur said that they have the injury diagnosed and is under control. He said Musgrave is actually out of the hospital now. He won't play Thursday and he did not rule out injured reserve but they're waiting to see how things go.

Tucker Kraft time.

Joemailman
11-21-2023, 11:12 PM
Luke Musgrave has a lacerated kidney. Doubt we'll see him again this year.

Freak Out
11-22-2023, 06:14 AM
Wow.

sharpe1027
11-22-2023, 07:11 AM
The injury list could form a starting 11 with backups at several positions.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-22-2023, 09:24 AM
Luke Musgrave has a lacerated kidney. Doubt we'll see him again this year.

How in the wide wide world of sports do you lacerate a kidney?

Joemailman
11-22-2023, 09:49 AM

It happened after going to the ground after making a catch. It doesn't look like much, but he did come down on the ball. You can see him holding his abdomen after he gets up.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1727083493308395763

Sparkey
11-22-2023, 10:35 AM

A kidney laceration is an injury in which a tear in the kidney tissue might lead to bleeding or leaking of urine into the abdominal cavity. The blood or urine collects in a space called the retroperitoneum, which is behind the peritoneum, where your bowels are located. Lacerated kidneys can also lead to blood in the urine. All kidney injuries (also known as renal trauma) account for 1% to 5% of all traumatic injuries that are severe enough to require treatment at a trauma center.1Shoobridge JJ, Corcoran NM, Martin KA, Koukounaras J, Royce PL, Bultitude MF. Contemporary management of renal trauma (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3178068/). Rev Urol. 2011;13(2):65-72.

Kidney lacerations can result from either blunt or penetrating trauma.

Joemailman
11-22-2023, 01:23 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

The #Packers signed WR Bo Melton and RB James Robinson from the practice squad to the active roster, placed TE Luke Musgrave and RB Emanuel Wilson on injured reserve, and elevated FB Henry Pearson and S Benny Sapp III to the active roster for gameday.

Joemailman
11-22-2023, 03:13 PM
Injury report offering more hope than yesterday's did.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_kT435W8AAk-xH?format=jpg&name=medium

QBME
11-22-2023, 09:05 PM
Charlie Parker - Topic
YouTube·Nov 1, 2018

QBME
11-22-2023, 09:11 PM
Charlie Parker - Topic
YouTube·Nov 1, 2018

Sorry,
Not good at the interweb shit
Tried to copy Charlie Parker Now Is The Time

Great tune
Just maybe

texaspackerbacker
11-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Jason Witten, the old Cowboys TE, had a lacerated kidney. As I recall, he missed significant time but came back later the same season. Hopefully Musgrave does the same. Until then, yes, Kraft time, and I think he'll do all right too.

bobblehead
11-24-2023, 11:12 AM
Tucker Kraft time.

Of significant note, Kraft did not suck.