PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jim Carter - Disrespected when he played, ignored in death by us, so far.

Patler
11-30-2023, 10:43 AM
Many fans never forgave him for replacing Ray Nitschke, who refused to retire even when he couldn't run any longer, and was not an effective player. Not unlike Donald Driver's last season. Nitschke was a fan icon the team couldn't cut, just as Driver was.

Carter was often booed just for being the guy starting over Nitschke, and it lasted most of his career. He did not deserve it, because he really was a solid player. Not appreciated by the fans at all.

I always respected him for seeing it as the fans' love for Nitschke, not hatred for him. He seemed to accept that.

bobblehead
11-30-2023, 10:53 AM
Its official....Patler is much older than me. Good on him if he was able to accept that it wasn't about him. Most people think everything is about them all the time.

Joemailman
11-30-2023, 11:01 AM
After his playing career, Carter owned a number of car dealerships in Wisconsin, including here in Wausau, as well as Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls. Think he stayed out of Green Bay.

At least he did finally get to hear some cheers: https://www.packers.com/news/jim-carter-was-an-unappreciated-but-hard-nosed-middle-linebacker

More than 30 years after his career ended, Carter returned to Lambeau Field for the first time and was greeted during pregame introductions with cheers that he had never heard as a player.

Carter was again honorary captain for the final game of last season and came back in late September for this season's alumni weekend.

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/upload/t_editorial_landscape_12_desktop/f_auto/packers/twkmbxfercwijcekuhth.jpg

MadtownPacker
11-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Cool thread and nice to know hero worship has always been a thing. RIP

MadScientist
11-30-2023, 09:09 PM
I think I have vague recollections of Jim Carter playing at the time. Given the era, vague recollections are better than clear and accurate ones.

RashanGary
11-30-2023, 10:20 PM
Its official....Patler is much older than me. Good on him if he was able to accept that it wasn't about him. Most people think everything is about them all the time.

I can read between the lines. I know what you’re trying to say about me. Fuck you!

QBME
11-30-2023, 10:31 PM

I actually remember. Looking back it was the end of the beginning of the slide into the long dark night.

Fritz
12-01-2023, 05:05 PM
I remember Carter. He was very solid. Packers had some solid players back then, but yes, the seventies were a long downward spiral.

I feel for Nitschke, too - his identity so tied up in football that he couldn’t let go. Even though I was but a boy, I knew he was a shell of a player, and it was sad.

Vincenzo
12-01-2023, 10:08 PM
Many fans never forgave him for replacing Ray Nitschke, who refused to retire even when he couldn't run any longer, and was not an effective player. Not unlike Donald Driver's last season. Nitschke was a fan icon the team couldn't cut, just as Driver was.

Carter was often booed just for being the guy starting over Nitschke, and it lasted most of his career. He did not deserve it, because he really was a solid player. Not appreciated by the fans at all.

I always respected him for seeing it as the fans' love for Nitschke, not hatred for him. He seemed to accept that.

That’s very cool, I read all those books so thanks for the history memory.
Jim Carter, God love you for your service on our team, but surely in this Packer fans mind you framed that special moment in Packer history at Lambeau when we recall Ray Nitschke on the bench and Packer fans cheering for our beloved Ray to come on the field. Great moment in our history, Plater.