PDA

View Full Version : Packers at Giants Discussion Thread

Joemailman
12-05-2023, 11:15 AM
Packers lead all-time series 34-27-2. 29-24-2 in regular season. 5-3 in postseason.

Last meeting: Giants defeated Packers 27-22 in London. Packers led most of the game but Giants scored 2 4th quarter TD's for the win. Aaron Rodgers broke his thumb on the last play of the game. It was the 1st of 5 straight losses for the Packers.

Giants have won their last 2 games to move to 4-8. Offensively, Giants rank 31st in points scored and 32nd in yards gained. Daniel Jones, their original starting QB is out for the season with a torn ACL. Tommy Devito has started last 3 games for the Giants. Overall in 5 games with 3 starts he has completed 66 of 105 passes for 697 yards with 7 TD's and 3 INT's. Tyrod Taylor is coming off IR. He has started 3 games for the Giants, completing 57 of 87 passes for 579 yards with 2 TD's. Darius Slayton is the Giants leading receiver with 435 yards and 1 TD. Saquon Barkley in 9 games leads the Giants with 697 rushing yards and 1 TD, averaging 4.2 YPC. Barkley also has 4 TD receptions.

Defensively, Giants rank 26th in points allowed and 28th in yards allowed. Giants have allowed 2739 passing yards, but have allowed just 14 TD passes and have 12 INT's. They have sacked opposing QB's 21 times. Opponents have rushed for 1633 yards and 18 TD's, averaging 4.8 YPC.

Packers favored by 6.5.
Over/under 37.5
Moneyline: Giants +240, Packers -295.

bobblehead
12-05-2023, 11:19 AM
This is specifically the type of offense you expect to dominate, but then Barry decides stopping Barkley isn't the priority, its "limiting big plays" and he goes all out to stop Tommy DeVito.

I hope he is adjusting. He is pretty old to learn new tricks, but when your job is on the line, people start to actually put effort forth. I'm cautiously optimistic that we won't see the worst of Joe Barry until week 1 of 2024.

Joemailman
12-05-2023, 11:27 AM
Only 2nd time this year Packers are favored. 1st time as road favorite.

Joemailman
12-05-2023, 11:35 AM
Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

Daboll said Tommy DeVito will start Monday’s game against the Packers.

run pMc
12-05-2023, 11:40 AM
Will be curious to see the injury reports and who starts at QB for NYG, as well as health of GB players like AJones, Jaire, and Watson.
DeVito takes a LOT of sacks but seems to have an ok arm and is being more careful with the ball.

I thought the Giants had a good D but maybe not? If you look at their schedule they haven't really beaten any good teams. GB is on a hot streak and should be favored to win this but I worry about the kids getting too full of themselves. Almost feels like a trap game.

run pMc
12-05-2023, 11:43 AM
Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

well there it is.

Joemailman
12-05-2023, 11:50 AM
Will be curious to see the injury reports and who starts at QB for NYG, as well as health of GB players like AJones, Jaire, and Watson.
DeVito takes a LOT of sacks but seems to have an ok arm and is being more careful with the ball.

I thought the Giants had a good D but maybe not? If you look at their schedule they haven't really beaten any good teams. GB is on a hot streak and should be favored to win this but I worry about the kids getting too full of themselves. Almost feels like a trap game.

DeVito is starting. My guess is Giants Defense is decent, but gets worn down from having to be on the field too much. Hopefully Barry will have the defense playing as aggressively as they did against the Rams who had a backup QB playing.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-05-2023, 01:34 PM
Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

DeVito, eh? If the Packers lose to a team quarterbacked by a damn Italian, I swear to Jupiter I am gonna boycott pizza for a year.

SudsMcBucky
12-05-2023, 02:47 PM
DeVito, eh? If the Packers lose to a team quarterbacked by a damn Italian, I swear to Jupiter I am gonna boycott pizza for a year.

Especially since he's only 4'10" and loves Jersey Mikes.

Fosco33
12-05-2023, 03:30 PM

As an Italian - I’d love for you to say that to my face. It’d certainly be entertaining for me. Get your troll ass off the white/Italian train or just fuck off.

NewsBruin
12-05-2023, 04:27 PM

Dan Marino was 5-1 (https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/dan-marino-win-loss-record-vs-packers) versus the Packers in his career.

run pMc
12-05-2023, 05:13 PM

Imagine how other teams and fans felt about Lombardi. Back then being Italian wasn't much different from being Puerto Rican, especially in Green Bay.

MadScientist
12-05-2023, 05:33 PM
This game is significant for the Packers in seeing how this young team handles success. Do they let all the good coverage they are getting go to their heads, or do they focus on getting the job done against a bad team with ruthless efficiency. The Giants 4 wins were against the 1-11 Panthers, the 2-10 Pats, and two wins against the 4-9 Commanders. They are a bad team and should be pounded into submission early.

texaspackerbacker
12-05-2023, 11:31 PM
I like the idea of the Packers dealing with a QB who "takes a lot of sacks".

run pMc
12-06-2023, 09:33 AM
This game is significant for the Packers in seeing how this young team handles success. Do they let all the good coverage they are getting go to their heads, or do they focus on getting the job done against a bad team with ruthless efficiency. The Giants 4 wins were against the 1-11 Panthers, the 2-10 Pats, and two wins against the 4-9 Commanders. They are a bad team and should be pounded into submission early.

100% agree with all of this. Am curious to see how they handled being the favorites. They aren't going to sneak up on teams anymore, and expectations have changed now that they are the 7 seed.

Fritz
12-06-2023, 09:52 AM

"Young" is the key term We have to remember, this is a group of very young guys. AJ Dillon is 25 and he's pretty much one of the elder statesmen on offense. So you've got a bunch of 21 - 24 year-old guys going to New York city, and for a couple of weeks now they've been told their shit don't stink. What young, athletic, fairly well-known young guy isn't going to get puffed up?

And sure, it's on the coaches to keep that from happening, but these guys are human, and very young ones, at that. I have to imagine a few of them will be chasing the bright lights/big city/ tight puddy on Sunday night.

MadtownPacker
12-06-2023, 11:27 AM
If the giants had lost the last two maybe. Also the media dissing on the big SNF upset and discounting the Packers is a good thing. Plus Love has a cutiepie fiancée so I doubt he stays out too late.

run pMc
12-06-2023, 09:19 PM
I think the biggest concern is the Packers, and whether they think they'll win just by showing up.
The NYG stink this year, but they are going to come out swinging haymakers in a primetime game as home underdogs and coming off a bye.

GB better not play sloppy or come in complacent or it will be a rough one. They have a realistic path to the playoffs with a very soft schedule, but they shouldn't overlook or underestimate anyone.

RashanGary
12-06-2023, 11:15 PM
Teams coming off a bye usually start off with a little rust. We’re gonna get out early and hopefully keep the foot on the gas.

Joemailman
12-06-2023, 11:22 PM
I think the biggest concern is the Packers, and whether they think they'll win just by showing up.
The NYG stink this year, but they are going to come out swinging haymakers in a primetime game as home underdogs and coming off a bye.

GB better not play sloppy or come in complacent or it will be a rough one. They have a realistic path to the playoffs with a very soft schedule, but they shouldn't overlook or underestimate anyone.

I think the fact that the Packers lost to the Giants last year will help in that regard. It was the first of 5 straight losses. I bet MLF won't let them forget it.

Joemailman
12-07-2023, 01:19 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

Aaron Jones (knee) was participating in Thursday’s padded practice at Nitschke.

Christian Watson and Darnell Savage were not practicing.

Fritz
12-07-2023, 05:45 PM
Jesus. Guys get hurt, come back, play one game, and out again. I don't know if they're holding Savage out as a precautionary measure, but it doesn't seem a good sign.

Given the pattern, Jones will play Monday night, then be out again for two or three more games. And what about Jaire? Cripes, if he's out again, you wonder why they didn't put him on IR.

ThunderDan
12-07-2023, 06:16 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod

Aaron Jones (knee) was participating in Thursday’s padded practice at Nitschke.

Christian Watson and Darnell Savage were not practicing.

Hard to believe that Jones is even practicing after the injury. I was sure he tore his ACL.

Joemailman
12-07-2023, 07:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GAyVSMQWIAAeMZS?format=jpg&name=medium

King Friday
12-07-2023, 07:23 PM
Very worried about this game due to Barry’s defense shitting the bed against a bad offense. This is the exact kind of game where Barry ball finds a way to keep the Giants in the game, and it becomes a fourth quarter coin toss instead of a solid win.

I expect the Giants to run for over 135 yards, and I expect the Packers will need a late red zone stop to earn a victory.

run pMc
12-08-2023, 10:46 AM
I think Savage will play unless he aggravated something. He played quite a bit vs. KC, so I think it's precautionary.
Jaire's injury is a problem. He's a smaller CB and has now had two shoulder injuries. Hasn't had a great year, been hurt, and costs a lot of money.
Stokes has basically been around for half his contract so far. No wonder they keep bringing CBs in (Rochelle, Long Jr.)

re: NYG, Barry and the team in general better not shit the bed. Pretty simple from a defensive standpoint - focus on stopping Barkley in the running game and make DeVito beat you. They'll be able to pressure DeVito, especially if they are in obvious passing downs.
Get a good start on offense, and prep for another aggressive defense. Martindale like to blitz. Love did a nice job diagnosing and calling his 'can's' or 'kills' at the line, he'll need to do the same this game. KC's D is better than NYG's, and if GB can get an early lead should win this game.

Joemailman
12-08-2023, 12:44 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Second straight day for Aaron Jones in his return from the MCL sprain.

Darnell Savage (chest) returned after missing yesterday.

But Christian Watson (hamstring) & Quay Walker (shoulder) were no gos again.

And Elgton Jenkins (shoulder) didn’t go after limited yesterday.

Joemailman
12-08-2023, 04:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GA2wKseW8AAYQX-?format=png&name=900x900

Fritz
12-08-2023, 05:36 PM
Jaysus, guys are going in and out of the lineup like a revolving door.

Quay Walker seems an increasingly important part of this defense.

Fosco33
12-09-2023, 10:23 AM
I wish we could’ve gotten rid of Jaire.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-09-2023, 11:06 AM
I wish we could’ve gotten rid of Jaire.

Discarding an All-Pro shutdown corner with no history of off-field infamies would be dumber than Tony ODay. Hell, Tyreek Hill has a history of domestic infamies, and pigs continue to pay him millions and fans continue to worship The Cheetah.

Perhaps you don’t like J-Alex’s cockiness. Guess what? Shutdown corners are supposed to cocky. I, for one, made sure Darren Charles knew I was shutting him down when I was shutting him down.

Joemailman
12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Watson and Quay Walker only Packers not practicing.

Joemailman
12-09-2023, 03:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GA76JQvW4AA00Mt?format=jpg&name=medium

Fosco33
12-09-2023, 04:16 PM
Discarding an All-Pro shutdown corner with no history of off-field infamies would be dumber than Tony ODay. Hell, Tyreek Hill has a history of domestic infamies, and pigs continue to pay him millions and fans continue to worship The Cheetah.

Perhaps you don’t like J-Alex’s cockiness. Guess what? Shutdown corners are supposed to cocky. I, for one, made sure Darren Charles knew I was shutting him down when I was shutting him down.

Jaire isn’t as good as his top paycheck would demand. He’s saying he’s not gonna play because he’s not 100% heathy - that’s bullshit.

He’s certainly not letting any receptions or touchdowns from the sideline - so he’s certainly a shutdown corner.

MadScientist
12-09-2023, 04:56 PM
Jaire isn’t as good as his top paycheck would demand. He’s saying he’s not gonna play because he’s not 100% heathy - that’s bullshit.

He’s certainly not letting any receptions or touchdowns from the sideline - so he’s certainly a shutdown corner.

It's not bullshit if it means he doesn't want to play if there is a good chance of aggravating the injury and leaving the team short most of the game, or if it's limiting him enough to be a liability. I'd rather have him able to go full tilt against TB, Minn, and for the playoffs than push it to play against a weaker opponent and then be out for the season.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-10-2023, 11:19 AM

Dude injured his shoulder in the 3rd quarter of the Sheepfucks game. Ran across the field and jumped higher than Madtown smoking Mary Jane to prevent possibly a TD in a 10-3 game. Finished the fucking game.

Players like J-Alex and Musgraves are tough as fuck. Soft and fragile players like Christine and Claymaker, not so much.

bobblehead
12-10-2023, 12:59 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-officiating-crew-under-scrutiny-after-missed-calls/ar-AA1lg4TN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=LCTS&cvid=73bbc04934284785bec1a6ecbb179f93&ei=39

Seems the NFL is pissed that the officials allowed the lowly packers to defeat Taylor Swift on primetime. They are sending a message that this kind of integrity will not be tolerated.

Joemailman
12-10-2023, 01:18 PM
Jaire out.

Teamcheez1
12-10-2023, 04:25 PM
Jaire out.

He has now missed 21 out of the last 46 games. Pro bowl when he played the whole season in 2022, but availability is becoming a problem. We definitely need to draft a CB and safety in the next draft.

Fritz
12-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Agreed, Team. It's not a trajectory that is often reversed. They definitely - or, "defiantly," as my students used to write, need to draft a corner and a safety - or two.

QBME
12-10-2023, 08:05 PM
Evidently He got his paper, he got his cash.
Such is the NFL nowadays

Fritz
12-11-2023, 07:29 AM
Well, I'm not saying that. I think the guy wants to play and all. I'm not questioning his heart or motivation. I'm just saying it's a damn violent game, and once players start getting hurt, especially the same areas over and over, the body breaks down and it's harder to stay on the field. That's what I'm afraid is happening with Alexander. The guy has never given us reason to question his heart. The dude isn't afraid to tackle. He's not like some past Packer corners or safeties, who regularly turned down tackles.

run pMc
12-11-2023, 08:21 AM
It's been a bad year for Jaire. I don't know that you trade him, you'd be probably selling low on him, and he should have some good seasons left. When he's dialed in, he's very very good. I'm not sure he's top-paid CB good, but it doesn't hurt to have a CB like that to guard the Justin Jeffersons of the world.
The games he's played this season he's been hot and cold, mostly cold. I do think being a smaller corner has contributed to his injuries.

GB will almost definitely draft a CB and a S. They have ONE safety under contract next year, and they've been starting Corey Ballentine (a PS CB who sometimes gets picked on but is contributing) at CB while trying out guys like Rochelle, Kelly, and Long.

Fritz
12-11-2023, 08:49 AM
It's been a bad year for Jaire. I don't know that you trade him, you'd be probably selling low on him, and he should have some good seasons left. When he's dialed in, he's very very good. I'm not sure he's top-paid CB good, but it doesn't hurt to have a CB like that to guard the Justin Jeffersons of the world.
The games he's played this season he's been hot and cold, mostly cold. I do think being a smaller corner has contributed to his injuries.

GB will almost definitely draft a CB and a S. They have ONE safety under contract next year, and they've been starting Corey Ballentine (a PS CB who sometimes gets picked on but is contributing) at CB while trying out guys like Rochelle, Kelly, and Long.

I know we're all excited about where this team is right now, but we also have to remember this is a very young team. I'm reading lots of BS about running the table, but man, this is the same team that couldn't get out of its own way earlier in the season. I'd say we need to be patient if tonight the Packers look sloppy or don't play well. They are still young.

Joemailman
12-11-2023, 08:55 AM
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

#Packers RB Aaron Jones (knee) isn’t expected to play tonight against the #Giants, per source.

Jones, who is listed as questionable, is working hard to get back. He’s just not ready. So, it’ll be the AJ Dillon show again tonight.

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2023, 10:15 AM

Good Point about Jaire. I think he bounces back and plays better with several other good ones sharing the load. I"d like to say Stokes will come back strong, but that would be a shaky assumption. Between Jaire, Stokes and Valentine, however, with Ballentine and Nixon as quality back ups, I think we're good at Corner, maybe draft a good young prospect if there aren't other higher priorities.

Which of the Safetys is the only one under contract? I hope not Savage hahahaha. I like these new guys - Ford, Owens, and Johnson - at least as good as what we've had playing Safety in recent years - a lot better than Savage.

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2023, 10:20 AM
We ought to be able to beat the Giants. LaFleur just needs to instill a don't be over confident attitude - leave that for us fans hahahaha.

I think the Packer offense continues to roll, and we win big unless Barry's D makes it close.

Joemailman
12-11-2023, 10:26 AM
Anthony Johnson Jr. is the only safety under contract past this year.

Sparkey
12-11-2023, 11:09 AM
Hopefully Barry doesn't run the same off ball soft zone defense that he used against the Steelers. Inviting a running team to run the ball is the definition of stupidity.

Fosco33
12-11-2023, 11:22 AM
Not to take anything away from 2 great victories - but the Lions just lost to the Bears and the Chiefs lost again at home.
Perhaps we caught both ‘good’ teams on low points.

Giants coming off a bye - definitely a trap game.

call_me_ishmael
12-11-2023, 11:29 AM
Packers are gonna roll in this one. Giants don't have a QB and are tanking to get one.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2023, 11:31 AM
Not to take anything away from 2 great victories - but the Lions just lost to the Bears and the Chiefs lost again at home.
Perhaps we caught both ‘good’ teams on low points.

Giants coming off a bye - definitely a trap game.Fuken hater, maybe the Packers sent them spiraling? Not like they squeezed out wins.

Fosco33
12-11-2023, 11:37 AM
Fuken hater, maybe the Packers sent them spiraling? Not like they squeezed out wins.

Ha. I’m not hating - just hoping Lafleur has them in the right mindset.

The giants game last year where Aaron broke his thumb was the end of an era in many ways.

I think we’ll win tonight - just have to keep their head below the clouds.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2023, 12:06 PM
Packers are gonna roll in this one. Giants don't have a QB and are tanking to get one.
Finally!! Took you all season but we finally got one great post out of you. Must be a contract year. :lol:

MadtownPacker
12-11-2023, 12:09 PM
Ha. I’m not hating - just hoping Lafleur has them in the right mindset.

The giants game last year where Aaron broke his thumb was the end of an era in many ways.

I think we’ll win tonight - just have to keep their head below the clouds.
Hope he had the team watch the bears lions. Seeing lions turned into kitties is all the motivation needed. Tex said no but I say the North is up for grabs.

run pMc
12-11-2023, 12:33 PM
Giants are not a good team, but they are a dangerous team. Focus on stopping Barkley and I think they'll be ok.
Offense has been better and improving - Josh Myers outplayed Creed Humprey last week and has been doing well the last few weeks. Runyan is still a bit of a problem. If Dexter Lawrence is playing they will have their hands full.

As long as the Packers don't play stupid or beat themselves with mistakes they should win.

I feel like there's been so much talk of it being a trap game it's not one any longer. I'm sure the players know what's at stake. Win tonight and they effectively have 1.5 games on the Rams for a playoff spot.

Not surprised Aaron Jones isn't playing. Metlife Stadium is known for having a bad field, it rained in NY yesterday, and it will be a short week with TB coming to Lambeau after beating ATL for the 1st place tiebreaker in the NFC South.

palmcupid
12-11-2023, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the detailed update on the Packers-Giants series and the current status of both teams! It's fascinating to see the historical stats and the nuances of their last meeting, especially with Aaron Rodgers breaking his thumb on the last play, leading to a challenging stretch for the Packers.

As for the Giants, it seems like they've faced some quarterback challenges with Daniel Jones out for the season, but Tommy Devito and Tyrod Taylor have been holding their own. The defensive stats provide a comprehensive overview of their performance against the pass and the run, showcasing both strengths and areas for improvement.

Looking forward to the upcoming game and seeing how the dynamics play out on the field. Feel free to share more updates and insights as the season progresses!

Fosco33
12-11-2023, 01:05 PM
They’ve beaten washington 2w, cardinals and patriots.

We really should beat them.

Fritz
12-11-2023, 01:56 PM
Hopefully Barry doesn't run the same off ball soft zone defense that he used against the Steelers. Inviting a running team to run the ball is the definition of stupidity.

This is my big fear. I just don't understand how Joe Barely thinks. That, and my other fear is that the young offense plays . . . young tonight. Young and hungover.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2023, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the detailed update on the Packers-Giants series and the current status of both teams! It's fascinating to see the historical stats and the nuances of their last meeting, especially with Aaron Rodgers breaking his thumb on the last play, leading to a challenging stretch for the Packers.

As for the Giants, it seems like they've faced some quarterback challenges with Daniel Jones out for the season, but Tommy Devito and Tyrod Taylor have been holding their own. The defensive stats provide a comprehensive overview of their performance against the pass and the run, showcasing both strengths and areas for improvement.

Looking forward to the upcoming game and seeing how the dynamics play out on the field. Feel free to share more updates and insights as the season progresses!Welcome to PackerRats! Your account is now fully activated, and your post can be seen by the supposed football "experts" here.

Let me know if you have any questions.

bobblehead
12-11-2023, 05:14 PM
They’ve beaten washington 2w, cardinals and patriots.

We really should beat them.

And been beaten by 20+ like four times.

Joemailman
12-11-2023, 05:46 PM
They have won their last 2. Yes, against the dregs of the NFL. Still, winning can breed confidence. Hope the Packers jump on them early.