12-17-2023, 03:00 PM
Jordan Love - 29/39, 284 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 1 FL

Dontayvion Wicks- 6 catches, 97 yards

Enagbare - 1 sack and forced fumble

Bucs 452 total yards, 8-12 on 3rd and 4th down conversions

Discuss

ThunderDan
12-17-2023, 03:04 PM
Our O played well. Tampa has a good defense so it wasnt surprising to finish where we did on O.

D didn’t even show up. 9 drives and they can only stop 2. We didn’t even stop 25% of their series.

And after the game some of the D players were laughing, smiling and shaking hands. You just got your ass handed to you. How do you laugh about that?

red
12-17-2023, 03:24 PM
two very ugly weeks for the D against shitty offenses

wouldn't say that offense played good enough to win

love started missing a lot of throws when we got down. 17 rushes to over 40 pass plays. tampa pinned their ears back and came after him

beveaux1
12-17-2023, 03:30 PM
I just wonder if Jaire and the safeties have been out enough games that opposing O coordinators can see how we defend against the pass. It was too early for Detroit and KC to have video on it.

It might answer why DeVito and Mayfield looked like Pro Bowlers against us and Mahomes looked average against us.

It doesn't answer why we made no in-game changes to counter what was seen on tape.

That's why Barry should go.

Teamcheez1
12-17-2023, 04:59 PM
When asked if he would consider a change at defensive coordinator, Matt LaFleur said: “Now’s not the time for that.”

When asked why not, he said: “I’ve got to find solutions. I’ve got to go back and take a look at the film.”

QBME
12-17-2023, 05:01 PM
Next Year starts now.

bobblehead
12-17-2023, 05:34 PM
The only reason I know they have a punter is because he boomed a 60+ yarder with no return and stuck it inside the 5. Thats it. 1 punt. The other stop was Baker being Baker.

Barry put together a few nice games and look what happened.....a winning streak. Now he is back to being who he is.

red
12-17-2023, 05:35 PM
When asked if he would consider a change at defensive coordinator, Matt LaFleur said: “Now’s not the time for that.”

When asked why not, he said: “I’ve got to find solutions. I’ve got to go back and take a look at the film.”

him always saying he needs to go back and watch the film isn't a very good look

HC has to be able to see whats going on live and make adjustment. this is something he doesn't seem too good at

bobblehead
12-17-2023, 05:36 PM

Barry is getting paid until the end of the season. There is no one who is going to come in and make us win an Owl. he isn't going to say "yea, I'm thinking about firing him...let you know later this week what I decide."

red
12-17-2023, 05:49 PM
baker had completed less then 50 percent of his passes in the two games leading to this one

today was only the second time in lambeau history that a QB had a perfect QBR (rodgers was the other). and it came in less then ideal conditions which should have been helping the D

red
12-17-2023, 05:53 PM
Barry is getting paid until the end of the season. There is no one who is going to come in and make us win an Owl. he isn't going to say "yea, I'm thinking about firing him...let you know later this week what I decide."

you do that to show that you and the franchise aren't going to settle for mediocrity (or less than, in this case)

i ruled out playoffs before the year, so i'm not too torn up about todays loss, but we damn well better see improvement as the season goes on and the young guys get reps. offense is making some nice improvements, defense has not, in any way.

with so many high draft picks on that side of the ball, you can not stick with a shit coach directing them

MadtownPacker
12-17-2023, 06:52 PM
Drop LePew and get Belichick.

ThunderDan
12-17-2023, 07:00 PM

No thanks.

Joemailman
12-17-2023, 07:58 PM
Daire Carragher
@DaireCarragher

Per PFF, De’Vondre Campbell allowed 135 passing yards in coverage today — the most of any Packers linebacker since at least 2006.

This is more an indictment of Barry than it is of Campbell imo.

ThunderDan
12-17-2023, 08:06 PM

Though if MiLF doesn’t can Barely, I am ok with the first part of your statement.

Joemailman
12-17-2023, 08:20 PM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL
Buccaneers had these situations today:

1st & 15
2nd & 29
3rd & 12
2nd & 18

Here were the results on the next play:

1st & 15 - 9 yard gain
2nd & 29 - 24 yard gain
3rd & 12 - 15 yard gain
2nd & 18 - 21 yard gain

run pMc
12-17-2023, 08:36 PM

I didn't think Campbell played well. Seems like he has a case of the Olds. He looks a step slow. It happens to ILBs when they reach 30 just like it does to RBs.

run pMc
12-17-2023, 08:37 PM

He didn't say "No" outright to the first question though. Hey, we can dream.

run pMc
12-17-2023, 08:42 PM
The defense made Baker Mayfield look like vintage Aaron Rodgers today. I think he had a perfect passer rating, which is a bad indictment of the defense (if last week's game vs. DeVito wasn't bad enough).
Baker threw 4 TDs and 6 incompletions. SIX.

Last week they let a 3rd stringer complete 80% of his throws and run for 70 yards while not sacking him once.

The defense is allowing historic performances. I know MLF likes his guys and is loyal, but this is absurd.

The offense had its struggles today but I don't think they were the problem. The back 7 on defense were terrible today, and I don't think the coordinator was any better.
Atrocious defense lost this game.

bobblehead
12-17-2023, 10:36 PM

Agreed. I saw him covering Godwin on half his catches

Anti-Polar Bear
12-18-2023, 01:13 AM
Packers ain’t mathematically eliminated from the wally dance with this loss. But I have better odds of making it big in Hollywood as a screenwriter/lyricist AND dating Jennifer Lawrence than the Packers have of making the playoffs.

A second straight non-playoffs season means the Packers would be eligible for Hard Knocks, unless they can The Frog. I hope the NFL forces the Packers to be on that fucking show.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-18-2023, 05:48 AM
I seriously miss Dom Capers. I miss the Psycho, DB blitzing and the fucking zone blitz.

Barry looks like a dead man walking. Odds are good he ain’t gonna be back next season. Might as well can the vanilla coach already and use the last 3 games as a platform for an assistant to audition for the DC gig.

I’d like to see The Frog give the DB coach, Greg Williams, a shot.

run pMc
12-18-2023, 08:09 AM
I think the Packers would love to not be on Hard Knocks. Well, MLF and Gute anyway. Distractions for a young team, and they like to keep things buttoned up anyway.
Only team who would like it less would be the Patriots with Belichick. Can you imagine him with film crews everywhere?

Capers defense was good until people figured it out, and once he made it phone book sized so only vets could play in it. Offenses are better about turnovers now, so a defense that is predicated on turnovers is unlikely to be as successful. Still, I agree a more agressive defense with tighter coverage would likely have improved GB's chances in recent games.

Disagree on giving an assistant a chance... hiring the interim guy to be the guy the next season never works out well, and I think it just becomes a distraction and adds to the drama. They're still technically in the hunt, they won't waver now. They didn't when they were 4-8 (or 8-8, or 8-9) last year. I want Barry gone, but I don't think it happens mid-season (if ever). I do agree Greg Williams has helped the secondary out vs. Jerry Gray, most likely because Gray disagreed with Barry and probably wouldn't/couldn't get on same page with him. He'd be worth keeping around, but I don't think making him DC is the way.

run pMc
12-18-2023, 08:10 AM
Chris Godwin is a good player, but Barry's D made him look like Justin Jefferson. :(

Also - remember when David Moore played (that one game) for Green Bay back in 2021? No? He did.

Joemailman
12-18-2023, 09:53 AM
Need to stop throwing to the old guys.

Zach Kruse
@zachkruse2

Correction!

#Packers QB Jordan Love when targeting rookies Dontayvion Wicks, Jayden Reed, Tucker Kraft and Malik Heath vs. Bucs:

19/24 for 235 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 135.2 passer rating

Joemailman
12-18-2023, 10:05 AM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL
3rd and 4.
Down 7.
8:48 left in the game

Packers might as well be playing 9 on 11 because the safeties are in Escanaba.

Complete to Godwin with Campbell/Quay in zone.

Situational tone deafness is a real problem. Donate today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GBpGCaeXEAAAFd0?format=jpg&name=large

texaspackerbacker
12-18-2023, 10:24 AM
Yeah, our DBs weren't great, but they were adequate - and damn good considering the low level mostly that we got them at. Where the Packers D really stunk was at ILB. Walker has some good qualities, but he can't pass cover worth shit, and most of his tackles are down field after a large gain. Campbell was just pathetic all around.

The problem, though, was God damned Joe Barry putting them in impossible spots with his scheme, and then just letting the situation fester instead of adjusting. Other teams - probably almost 31 others - do a lot better with the same or worse talent.

Love was 29-39, 280+ yards, 2 TDS, no picks ....... that ought to be good enough to win a game.

red
12-18-2023, 11:48 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GBpGCaeXEAAAFd0?format=jpg&name=large

wow

3rd and 4 and our safety is 23 yards past the first down marker

16 yards deeper then the deepest WR

and whats worse, it looks like both CBs released their guys at the LOS

run pMc
12-18-2023, 12:53 PM
Yeah, our DBs weren't great, but they were adequate

If they were adequate, they wouldn't be giving up that much space or getting burned that badly.
The pass defense is playing below adequate. Which throws did Baker make that would be considered difficult? He had two incompletions at halftime and six for the game. He almost had as many TDs as incompletions. That's not good pass defense.
I agree the ILBs didn't play well - especially Devondre - but the secondary was very bad.

This was a failure of the pass defense - both coaching and execution. The Bucs didn't really have to run much because Baker had easy throws. I can't think of a single 3rd down in the game where I thought GB would stop them.

Fritz
12-18-2023, 12:57 PM
If they were adequate, they wouldn't be giving up that much space or getting burned that badly.
The pass defense is playing below adequate. Which throws did Baker make that would be considered difficult? He had two incompletions at halftime and six for the game. He almost had as many TDs as incompletions. That's not good pass defense.
I agree the ILBs didn't play well - especially Devondre - but the secondary was very bad.

This was a failure of the pass defense - both coaching and execution. The Bucs didn't really have to run much because Baker had easy throws. I can't think of a single 3rd down in the game where I thought GB would stop them.

The part I've put in boldface type is the kind of stuff that really pisses me off about you Barry-bashers: you complain and complain and bitch and whine that a Barry defense absolutely cannot stop the run.

And in YOUR OWN POST, you point out that Joe Barry found a way to stop Tampa Bay from running. Yet still you all bitch.

bobblehead
12-18-2023, 12:58 PM
Joe Barry sounds like M3. "If my ILB can't cover a 100 catch wr then of course my scheme will fail. Campbell has to do better"

Anti-Polar Bear
12-18-2023, 01:03 PM
I think the Packers would love to not be on Hard Knocks. Well, MLF and Gute anyway. Distractions for a young team, and they like to keep things buttoned up anyway.
Only team who would like it less would be the Patriots with Belichick. Can you imagine him with film crews everywhere?

Capers defense was good until people figured it out, and once he made it phone book sized so only vets could play in it. Offenses are better about turnovers now, so a defense that is predicated on turnovers is unlikely to be as successful. Still, I agree a more agressive defense with tighter coverage would likely have improved GB's chances in recent games.

Disagree on giving an assistant a chance... hiring the interim guy to be the guy the next season never works out well, and I think it just becomes a distraction and adds to the drama. They're still technically in the hunt, they won't waver now. They didn't when they were 4-8 (or 8-8, or 8-9) last year. I want Barry gone, but I don't think it happens mid-season (if ever). I do agree Greg Williams has helped the secondary out vs. Jerry Gray, most likely because Gray disagreed with Barry and probably wouldn't/couldn't get on same page with him. He'd be worth keeping around, but I don't think making him DC is the way.

Not saying, guarantee Williams the DC gig for next season. Just saying, give the man a shot in the last 3 games. There’s no point in keeping Barry around anymore since he’s all but Pettined (allow to walk with an expiring contract). Perhaps Williams will call an exotic blitz, something Barry never does.

In the event that Williams pans out and eventually lands a head coaching gig, the Packers will get a 3rd rounder. Hell, the 69ers have received a tons of 3rds for grooming a tons of “minority” head coaches - even got one for Mike McDaniel.

The Packers owe it to the City of Green Bay to be on Hard Knocks. The city paid for the Lambeau renovation. Hard Knocks would provide a bit of a short-term economic boom for the city.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-18-2023, 01:10 PM
The part I've put in boldface type is the kind of stuff that really pisses me off about you Barry-bashers: you complain and complain and bitch and whine that a Barry defense absolutely cannot stop the run.

And in YOUR OWN POST, you point out that Joe Barry found a way to stop Tampa Bay from running. Yet still you all bitch.

Before you start typing a reply, Tex, this is bona fide
sarcasm.

Ole Fritz hates Barry more than he hates Harbaugh for turning his and Bob McGinn’s beloved U of Michigan into a cheating factory.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-18-2023, 01:17 PM
Love was 29-39, 280+ yards, 2 TDS, no picks ....... that ought to be good enough to win a game.

14 points won’t win you too many games in today’s NFL. Coulda gotten another TD. Packers first series, Love had Reed open in the end zone on 4th down. Inaccurately threw OB instead.

Joemailman
12-18-2023, 01:52 PM
The Onion
@TheOnion
James Webb Telescope Finds Evidence Of Packers Secondary Lined Up 20 Million Light Years Off Receivers
1:18 PM · Dec 18, 2023

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1736825567037562880/wHiiWjkn?format=jpg&name=small

texaspackerbacker
12-18-2023, 02:14 PM
14 points won’t win you too many games in today’s NFL. Coulda gotten another TD. Packers first series, Love had Reed open in the end zone on 4th down. Inaccurately threw OB instead.

Wasn't it 20, not 14? Or was that sarcasm too?

Were you being sarcastic when you talked about the "bounty gate" guy a our DC? I wouldn't hold that against him, and as I recall, he was a good DC. But the guy is just 12 years younger than me - about 64 years old. Or were you talking about some other Williams?

What I see around the league is a lot of young hot shot DCs. That's what I want for the Packers.

Patler
12-18-2023, 02:18 PM

Didn't they get the TD anyway? After the fumble just a couple plays later?

Joemailman
12-18-2023, 03:06 PM
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
·
43m
#Packers had their defensive meeting this morning with Joe Barry. His message to the defense, according to Eric Stokes: “All the explosive plays, that shit will get you beat.”

Joemailman
12-18-2023, 03:11 PM
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

Matt LaFleur says Joe Barry will remain his defensive coordinator rest of this season. On why he's not firing Barry now: "If I thought that was the best solution today, then we'd make that decision."

run pMc
12-18-2023, 03:12 PM
wow

3rd and 4 and our safety is 23 yards past the first down marker

16 yards deeper then the deepest WR

and whats worse, it looks like both CBs released their guys at the LOS

Yeah, that's Cover-2 with your safeties playing waaayyyy back. I suspect Barry has little faith in his injury replacements which might account for some extra cushion, but that's ridiculous. Those Cover-2 turkey holes are 15 yards wide, no wonder Baker couldn't miss.

run pMc
12-18-2023, 03:14 PM
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
·
43m
#Packers had their defensive meeting this morning with Joe Barry. His message to the defense, according to Eric Stokes: “All the explosive plays, that shit will get you beat.”

Wow. Captain Obvious says, "NO SHIT SHERLOCK" to that.

run pMc
12-18-2023, 03:15 PM
James Webb Telescope Finds Evidence Of Packers Secondary Lined Up 20 Million Light Years Off Receivers

Sounds about right.

CaptainKickass
12-18-2023, 03:20 PM
It's apparently even worse than it seems...

The Buccaneers had only two contested catch opportunities and gained 182 yards after the catch. Overall, not one of Baker Mayfield’s 22 completions was considered to be contested, and the Bucs averaged 8.3 yards after the catch per completion. The Packers had five different defenders charged with giving up at least 50 receiving yards in coverage.

CaptainKickass
12-18-2023, 03:46 PM
Just when I think I've seen all of the stats...

Their overall PFF coverage grade of 29.3 today is the lowest grade of any team in a single game in the last 5 seasons.

Historical defense?

Yes. Just not the good kind.

Joemailman
12-18-2023, 05:27 PM
Best, worst PFF grades:

Top 5 offense

1. LT Rasheed Walker: 88.7
2. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 78.8
3. WR Jayden Reed: 76.3
4. LG Elgton Jenkins: 75.5
5. RT Zach Tom: 73.0

Walker gave up just one pressure (hit) over 26 pass-blocking snaps and earned an elite 90.7 grade as a run blocker. Wicks caught six of seven targets, gained 43 yards after the catch and averaged over 3.0 yards per route run. Reed made a contested catch, caught six passes overall and also averaged over 3.0 yards per route run. Jenkins allowed one hurry over 43 pass-blocking snaps and was effective in the run game. The same goes for Tom; one pressure allowed (hurry), solid as a run blocker. The offensive line, for the most part played well.

Top 5 defense

1. OLB Kingsley Enagbare: 90.7
2. DL TJ Slaton: 69.0
3. OLB Lukas Van Ness: 68.3
4. S Jonathan Owens: 66.3
5. OLB Rashan Gary: 62.4

Enagbare played 25 snaps, but his one impact snap — a sack, strip and recovery — produced an elite pass-rushing grade. Slaton had three run stops over 23 snaps against the run. Van Ness had a sack and a run stop over 26 snaps. Owens was in on 10 tackles without a miss and had two stops, earning himself a near-elite tackle grade. Gary had four hurries and a run stop.

Bottom 5 offense

1. C Josh Myers: 45.0
2. RG Sean Rhyan: 47.5
3. TE Josiah Deguara: 52.7
4. TE Ben Sims: 53.3
5. RB Patrick Taylor: 55.1

Myers had his hands full with Vita Vea. He allowed one hurry, got penalized for holding and was poor in the run game. Rhyan allowed two hurries and wasn’t good in the run game over a season-high 29 total snaps at right guard. Deguara was below average as a blocker and didn’t produce anything in the passing game. Sims was also deemed to be below average as a run blocker over 10 total snaps. Taylor caught two passes for negative yardage and was credited with giving up a sack in pass pro.

Bottom 5 defense

1. DL Colby Wooden: 26.6
2. LB Quay Walker: 29.5
3. CB Carrington Valentine: 34.4
4. CB Corey Ballentine: 46.0
5. CB Eric Stokes: 46.8

Wooden earned the team’s lowest run defense grade and didn’t have a pressure over 15 total snaps. Walker missed a tackle, graded very poorly against the run and gave up four catches for 69 yards and a touchdown in coverage. Valentine broke up one pass but otherwise gave up six catches for 68 yards. Ballentine received the defense’s second-lowest coverage grade overall. Stokes allowed four catches on four targets for 67 yards and a touchdown in coverage. Sunday was the Packers’ lowest-graded game defensively and in coverage by a wide margin in 2023.

Special teams

The Packers didn’t have a penalty or a missed tackle on special teams. Tucker Kraft was the highest-graded special teamer, while Jonathan Owens made a tackle. Daniel Whelan had a punt inside the 20-yard line and Anders Carlson made all four of his kicks, including two field goals.

Quarterback

Jordan Love: 66.6

Love hit two passes thrown over 20 yards in the air and was 7-of-10 passing when throwing past 10 yards, but he got dinged for two penalties (including a delay of game) and two turnover worthy plays (including the lost fumble). He was under pressure on just 13 of 41 dropbacks and was excellent from clean pockets (24 of 28 for 214 yards, one touchdown).

Fosco33
12-18-2023, 05:35 PM
It's apparently even worse than it seems...

That is super depressing.

Fosco33
12-18-2023, 05:51 PM
MLF blamed ‘communication’ a half dozen times in the presser today.

Does Joe know where MLF hid bodies or have incriminating evidence. I’ve never had a boss standup for me like MLF does for Joey.

run pMc
12-18-2023, 07:11 PM
There were times when miscommunication was happening and it cost them. I still think it was a bad game plan and TB basically ran zone-beaters all day.
Stokes and Valentine with Ford and Owens aren't a scary group to throw against, and Devondre has lost a step. Nixon is a good KR, but iffy as a PR and slot corner.

Didn't Kenny have 2 sacks? I'm surprised he didn't crack the top 5. Also thought Tucker Kraft had a since day. Wicks was a stud playing like that on a bad ankle.
Walker has improved, but I'm not seeing elite play like PFF is scoring.

Fritz
12-18-2023, 10:06 PM
Before you start typing a reply, Tex, this is bona fide
sarcasm.

Ole Fritz hates Barry more than he hates Harbaugh for turning his and Bob McGinn’s beloved U of Michigan into a cheating factory.

Almost. Harbaugh’s a self-righteous hypocrite and a jackass to boot; Joe Barely seems a decent guy, but a crummy coach.

Harbaugh in my opinion deserves contempt. Joe just needs to be fired.

By the way, that Onion headline about the Webb telescope was hilarious.

Joemailman
12-19-2023, 09:05 AM
This doesn't sound great.

De'Vondre Campbell
@Came_Along_Way
Not going out my way anymore and I’m not playing through injuries anymore cause when shit goes wrong they always use it against you. I’m treating everyone accordingly and giving them the same energy they giving me. Focus on yourself and your mental 59 you owe it to yourself

Fritz
12-19-2023, 09:25 AM

De'Vondre Campbell
@Came_Along_Way
Not going out my way anymore and I’m not playing through injuries anymore cause when shit goes wrong they always use it against you. I’m treating everyone accordingly and giving them the same energy they giving me. Focus on yourself and your mental 59 you owe it to yourself ������������

Is this directed at us, the fans squawking and bitching, or the coaches, or both, or nobody knows?

I suppose it's not good, any which way.

ThunderDan
12-19-2023, 09:27 AM

De'Vondre Campbell
@Came_Along_Way
Not going out my way anymore and I’m not playing through injuries anymore cause when shit goes wrong they always use it against you. I’m treating everyone accordingly and giving them the same energy they giving me. Focus on yourself and your mental 59 you owe it to yourself ������������

That seems to me to suggest that next year we will be posting about De'Vondre in the Former Packers still pursuing the Dream thread.

Joemailman
12-19-2023, 09:38 AM
Is this directed at us, the fans squawking and bitching, or the coaches, or both, or nobody knows?

Could be media. Been a lot of criticism of his play Sunday. Could be coaches. I hope he's not getting worked up about what fans are saying on twitter. Gotta be able to ignore that stuff.

RashanGary
12-19-2023, 09:47 AM

Sounds like coaches. Barry has the heat on him. I could see him getting impatient and coming down on guys even though injuries are understandable reasons to not play 100.

run pMc
12-19-2023, 11:02 AM
Devondre did not have a good game, but I also think he was sometimes hung out to dry.
He looks a step slow this year and his tackling isn't what it was, which I've attributed to age and injuries. Perhaps injuries are playing a bigger role.

All the same, he was supposed to be a competent LB in coverage and he looked bad vs. Tampa. I suspect the defense got a dressing down and didn't like it, especially given some of the calls. They didn't defend well when Tb went shotgun-empty and the ILBs were supposed to cover Chris Godwin. That's a mismatch. It's one thing to challenge your players to rise to an occasion, it's another thing to set them up for failure. I'm not sure Barry knows the difference.

The twitterverse is treating the tweet as if the remark pointed internally, not at random fans or posters. I think it's just venting and it's better to keep it private, but he made it vague enough to not make a big deal of it.

He might be a former Packer, based on salary, age, injuries, and performance. I do think they need some kind of upgrade at LB to help with the run defense.

RashanGary
12-19-2023, 01:16 PM
He does some media stuff with the local sports radio and probably communicates with other media members. It could be media too. A lot of them were harsh of him and maybe he feels like they act friends to his face, but shit in him as soon as they can.

Sparkey
12-19-2023, 01:28 PM
I'd be pissed if I played ILB, my 4.58 40 times was 5 years behind me and my D Coordinator decided that me covering Godwin was a good plan....

Give me a RB or TE, no problem, but a wr that runs a 4.42 ? What !?!?

run pMc
12-20-2023, 10:38 AM
Yeah, let's say TB has 11 personnel, so Barry is going to roll out nickel. They are playing Cover-2 or quarters with safeties verrrry far back because they are backups and Barry is a coward.

Then you rush 4, so that gives you 5 players to cover the rest of the field. TB motions Racheed White (a good receiving back) out and now you have empty set, Baker in the shotgun, and it's basically 5 players likely in a zone who have 5 receivers going out in patterns. That's tough to defend.
Basically they're playing prevent defense.

Devondre did not have a great game and he may be hurt (in Week 15, who isn't) or he may be old or - more likely - both. If he's grumpy, so what. He probably has reasons.

bobblehead
12-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Not saying, guarantee Williams the DC gig for next season. Just saying, give the man a shot in the last 3 games. There’s no point in keeping Barry around anymore since he’s all but Pettined (allow to walk with an expiring contract). Perhaps Williams will call an exotic blitz, something Barry never does.

In the event that Williams pans out and eventually lands a head coaching gig, the Packers will get a 3rd rounder. Hell, the 69ers have received a tons of 3rds for grooming a tons of “minority” head coaches - even got one for Mike McDaniel.

The Packers owe it to the City of Green Bay to be on Hard Knocks. The city paid for the Lambeau renovation. Hard Knocks would provide a bit of a short-term economic boom for the city.

Wow, that was a good post. Without most of your usual stuff. And not just the usual reasons I like a post by you (they make me chuckle). Although the Mike McDaniel comment did make me chuckle.

bobblehead
12-20-2023, 12:47 PM
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
·
43m
#Packers had their defensive meeting this morning with Joe Barry. His message to the defense, according to Eric Stokes: “All the explosive plays, that shit will get you fired”

Had to fix that for Mr. Barry.

bobblehead
12-20-2023, 12:51 PM
RG, you need to be crowing. Your guy, Walker, is ascending. I need to rewatch that game, but I did note a few times I really liked a play or 2 by him. My real question at this point is....why are they still rotating him with Yosh.

I'm not saying yosh is playing poorly, but Walker is starting to look like the future at LT, and yosh is not under contract. What gives? You know my opinion. Time to move Yosh to RT and Tom to RG (or center).

bobblehead
12-20-2023, 12:54 PM

I'd feel the same way if I was asked to cover a WR all day and I weighed 250+

RashanGary
12-21-2023, 07:28 AM
RG, you need to be crowing. Your guy, Walker, is ascending. I need to rewatch that game, but I did note a few times I really liked a play or 2 by him. My real question at this point is....why are they still rotating him with Yosh.

I'm not saying yosh is playing poorly, but Walker is starting to look like the future at LT, and yosh is not under contract. What gives? You know my opinion. Time to move Yosh to RT and Tom to RG (or center).

Rasheed is only 23. He’s still got a year or two of physical development on top of technique honing. The kid could be a top 10 or even top 5 LT if he keeps his arrow pointing up.

Fritz
12-21-2023, 08:28 AM
Rasheed is only 23. He’s still got a year or two of physical development on top of technique honing. The kid could be a top 10 or even top 5 LT if he keeps his arrow pointing up.

Given that he's only 23, that shouldn't be a problem . . .

As for Campbell, a reporter asked him about his relationship with LeFleur, and Campbell was very, very positive.

So his internet remarks were not aimed at The Flower. Maybe the media, maybe Joe Barely, maybe his position coach, maybe fans - we don't know.

But at this point should it not be a foregone conclusion that Barry doesn't use his players very well - there's an article in the PackerNews.com about how he doesn't utilize Quay Walker well, either - ?

At this point, unless Green Bay's defense pitches near-shoutouts in the next three games (and maybe even if that happens), it would seem a disaster to NOT fire Barely as soon as the season is over.

ThunderDan
12-21-2023, 12:07 PM
Given that he's only 23, that shouldn't be a problem . . .

As for Campbell, a reporter asked him about his relationship with LeFleur, and Campbell was very, very positive.

So his internet remarks were not aimed at The Flower. Maybe the media, maybe Joe Barely, maybe his position coach, maybe fans - we don't know.

But at this point should it not be a foregone conclusion that Barry doesn't use his players very well - there's an article in the PackerNews.com about how he doesn't utilize Quay Walker well, either - ?

At this point, unless Green Bay's defense pitches near-shoutouts in the next three games (and maybe even if that happens), it would seem a disaster to NOT fire Barely as soon as the season is over.

As mentioned before, the Packers don't need to fire Barely. His contract is up after this year. Unless we resign him to be the DC he is gone.

bobblehead
12-21-2023, 02:25 PM

I did rewatch the 1st half of last weeks game. I'm not sure how they gave Walker an "elite" run blocking grade when we ran center to right 80% of the time, but I will say this. He did his job and sealed off his guy. He also had a really nice run block on one of the 2 first half runs that went his way. He no longer gets TE help in pass pro. He has improved his effort immensely, and I have said many times that effort is 80% of great OL play. Big guys can be lazy and rely on size. It works in HS and college. Not in the pros. I watched vita vea run right around Myers. Vea is fast for a fat guy, but come on man. He simply should never be able to do that lined up over center.

Sparkey
12-21-2023, 03:22 PM
I just want a DC that tailors the scheme to fit the players strengths. Dave Aranda was known to always adjust what he ran to what he had. Not cramming a square peg into a round hole. Seems simple and logical, but it seems rarer than you would expect.

Bretsky
12-21-2023, 04:47 PM
I just want a DC that tailors the scheme to fit the players strengths. Dave Aranda was known to always adjust what he ran to what he had. Not cramming a square peg into a round hole. Seems simple and logical, but it seems rarer than you would expect.

Aranda was the Badgers best DC ever IMO; and then somebody tripled his salary and there he went

Sparkey
12-21-2023, 08:16 PM
Aranda was the Badgers best DC ever IMO; and then somebody tripled his salary and there he went

LSU.

Currently the head coach at Baylor