PDA

View Full Version : Love - no worse than Rodgers in 2022

Patler
12-17-2023, 05:21 PM
In my past comparison, looking at the first years as starters for Rodgers and Love, some complained that the comparison was not valid because the game has changed too much. So how about this:

The first 14 games for:

Rodgers 2022/Love 2023

Attempts - 453/486
Complete - 294/304
Comp. % - 64.9%/62.6%
Yards Pass - 3093/3368
Passing TDs - 23/25
Interceptions-10/11
(Sacks-yards)- (27-209)/(28-222)
(Rushes-yds) - (23-64)/(43-234)
Fumbles - 7/7

Situation similarities
- No significant rule changes impacting QB performance.
- Same coaching staffs.
- Same offense.

Differences:
- Rodgers had Bakhtiari for 9 of his game, Love had him for 1.
- Rodgers had a healthy Jones in a career year for all of his games. This year....
- Rodgers had the experienced Cobb, Lazard, Tonyan and Lewis running routes. Love has had Doubs and a little bit of Watson as his "experienced" route runners.

Rodgers' trajectory is likely down as he ages into his 40s.
Love's trajectory should be up as he gains experience.

Genius move by Gute, getting two high second round picks, while being no worse off at QB and becoming a whole career younger at the position.

red
12-17-2023, 05:32 PM
i would argue that the game had already changed a lot when rodgers took over

the numbers continue to be scary in just how similar they are

bobblehead
12-17-2023, 05:37 PM
I'm actually annoyed that Love has 7 fumbles. Thats way too many. Love is playing decent considering the only guy on the offense who is on a 2nd contract is Jenkins. I would say the future is bright, but oof, that defense.

bobblehead
12-17-2023, 05:48 PM
I thought it through as far as draft capital goes. Love was playing today without a single 1st rounder. 2nd rounders were Myers, Jenkins, Reed.

Basically he is out there with 7 guys on first contracts drafted 3rd round or later. 6 drafted 4th round or later.

red
12-17-2023, 05:55 PM
I'm actually annoyed that Love has 7 fumbles. Thats way too many. Love is playing decent considering the only guy on the offense who is on a 2nd contract is Jenkins. I would say the future is bright, but oof, that defense.

hopefully, gametime pocket awareness improves the more reps he gets.

he could also use some better linemen

red
12-17-2023, 05:56 PM
I thought it through as far as draft capital goes. Love was playing today without a single 1st rounder. 2nd rounders were Myers, Jenkins, Reed.

Basically he is out there with 7 guys on first contracts drafted 3rd round or later. 6 drafted 4th round or later.

thats why its so disgusting that our D looks so terrible

who is our WR and TE coach coachs? those guys seem to be doing a hell of a job getting these young guys to look so good

beveaux1
12-17-2023, 07:43 PM
It’s uncanny how close the statistics are for Rodgers as a first time starter in 2008 and Love as first time starter this year. Now to see that Rodgers’ stats last year mirror Love’s this year borders on weird. At the least, it seems like Love is in good company and looks like he could be our next franchise QB.

Patler
12-17-2023, 08:15 PM

Seven fumbles is more than you would want, but it isn't unusual. Rodgers, who valued ball security highly, had 10 fumbles each of his first two years starting and again in 2014. He had 8 in 2015, 2016 and 2022.

I can't be too displeased with Love in that regard.

run pMc
12-17-2023, 08:24 PM

Also bear in mind the intended starting 11 on offense have never (and will never, bc Bakhtiari) played a snap together. Watson was out Game 1.

RashanGary
12-17-2023, 09:59 PM
The OL struggled early in the year
The rookie skill players were making a lot of mistakes early
Love was finding his own way early in the season
The defense or special teams haven’t tilted the field at all
The running game has been poor most of the year

Rodgers had a whole list of reasons it was a down year too.

But looking at the early showing of so many of these skill guys, looking at the probable stability on the young OL….. A lot of things can happen to make things pan out differently than you’d expect, but Love could have a very very big year next year with so many things tilting in his favor and his second year starting.

Joemailman
12-17-2023, 10:14 PM
Love had 235 passing yards to rookies today. Can't ever remember a QB who has had to rely as much on rookie receivers.

texaspackerbacker
12-18-2023, 09:57 AM
Comparing Love to an injury-riddled bad year for Rodgers is bogus. The early career comparison is more valid. It will take 8 or 10 or 12 more years to say for sure, but we might have struck gold a third time with Love.

And the idea that Rodgers is trending downward, it's a little too soon to say about that too. I would not be surprised if he has a great season next year and still plays damn good for 3 or 4 more.

Patler
12-18-2023, 10:49 AM
Comparing Love to an injury-riddled bad year for Rodgers is bogus. The early career comparison is more valid. It will take 8 or 10 or 12 more years to say for sure, but we might have struck gold a third time with Love.

Injury riddled??? What a ridiculous, lame excuse. He was healthy enough to start every game and play something like 98% of all offensive snaps. Some snaps he missed were not because of injury.

The year was what it was, no better than Love this year.

Face it Tex, Rodgers is never likely to again be what he was, and likely will have to always play with some nagging physical injuries. It's a fact of life for most 40-year-old pro athletes.

If he plays as you predict, good for him. But there is the chance he becomes one of those guys who stays a year too long and plays like a shadow of his former self.

Patler
12-18-2023, 10:56 AM
And the idea that Rodgers is trending downward, it's a little too soon to say about that too. I would not be surprised if he has a great season next year and still plays damn good for 3 or 4 more.

Let's see..... He had a 2022 season that was down significantly from his immediate past, and certainly down from career-based expectations. He is following that with a 2023 season that simply isn't. Looks like a two-year downward trend to me.

MadtownPacker
12-18-2023, 12:27 PM
If he plays as you predict, good for him. But there is the chance he becomes one of those guys who stays a year too long and plays like a shadow of his former self.Dont they all? Seems all the great QBs retire with tears not because they don’t want to because they just physically can’t anymore. About the same as the alpha being ran off by his pack or pride when he is no longer the strongest.

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2023, 12:34 PM
I don't think the rules are drastically different than 2008 when Rodgers took over. The crackdown on illegal contact happened in 2004--after the Patriots mugged Peyton Manning's receivers up and down the field. The protection of QBs started in 2006--though they did go even further after Brady was knocked out for the 2008 season. Brady had his 50 TD season in 2007. Manning had a 49 TD season (his second highest ever) in 2004.

texaspackerbacker
12-18-2023, 01:49 PM
hahahahahaha Don't bet against Rodgers returning to (or more accurately, retaining) GOAT status.

I was late hopping on the Love Train, but now I'm as sold on him as anybody, a lot more than most, it seems. It's true, the rules make it a little easier now, but not that much. Rising to near the Rodgers level isn't likely for anybody, but as I said, I wouldn't rule it out for Love. And I would not say that for more than a very small handful of current QBs.

run pMc
12-18-2023, 03:22 PM
:laugh:

hahahahahaha Don't bet against Rodgers returning to (or more accurately, retaining) GOAT status.

Yeah, Rodgers isn't the GOAT (he might be on the Mt. Rushmore of QBs) and while it's possible he returns to pre-2022 form, it's unlikely. Age, injury history, rust, and a bad OL are likely to prevent that. The Joe Flacco story is cute, but over a 17 game season old guys get exposed. Or hospitalized.
You see that hit Zach Wilson took from Bradley Chubb? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WGaaB8TpsY
Rodgers is seeing triple in the blue tent after taking a hit like that. That OL is trash.
For several weeks, he's been rolling his eyes on the sideline at his own team lol. The Jets are cursed, and Rodgers and his old-guy crew aren't going to save them.

Spaulding
12-18-2023, 04:02 PM
Aaron Rodgers to the Jets has the makings of the John Hadl trade to the Packers, only for much less draft capital. Barring the Jets greatly improving their Oline in 2024, not sure Rodgers will even still want to play for them.

Rastak
12-18-2023, 04:45 PM
Seven fumbles is more than you would want, but it isn't unusual. Rodgers, who valued ball security highly, had 10 fumbles each of his first two years starting and again in 2014. He had 8 in 2015, 2016 and 2022.

I can't be too displeased with Love in that regard.

Greetings Patler, hope you are well! Yea, Love seems to be doing ok thus far. Packers and Vikings are a real treat to watch this season.

Bretsky
12-18-2023, 05:57 PM
I don’t think the eye”s lie despite what the stats may say. Karen showed flashes of really high upside early. I don’t see that with Love. I continue to feel he will be just fine. Solid but never spectacular

Patler
12-19-2023, 12:37 PM
I don’t think the eye”s lie despite what the stats may say. Karen showed flashes of really high upside early. I don’t see that with Love. I continue to feel he will be just fine. Solid but never spectacular

Funny, I'm just the opposite. Every week I see a throw or two that make me take notice. Throws that not every QB will even try, let alone complete. A couple of the TD throws to Reed, a couple to Watson, others in the middle of the field. A couple every week on the run after avoiding the rush, into tight, tight windows, etc.

I worry more about the "easy" ones he misses. Will that cause him to be too inconsistent? He has shown plenty of the unique abilities.

Joemailman
12-19-2023, 12:56 PM
Funny, I'm just the opposite. Every week I see a throw or two that make me take notice. Throws that not every QB will even try, let alone complete. A couple of the TD throws to Reed, a couple to Watson, others in the middle of the field. A couple every week on the run after avoiding the rush, into tight, tight windows, etc.

I worry more about the "easy" ones he misses. Will that cause him to be too inconsistent? He has shown plenty of the unique abilities.

I agree. Sunday was a perfect example. An absolute dart to Reed for TD while rolling out. A no look pass to Wicks for a big gain. But also a miss to Reed that would have been a TD. Despite some inconsistencies, Love is on pace for about 4100 passing yards and 30 TD's. This while throwing to rookies and 2nd year guys and not much support from a running game. If he improves the inconsistencies, I think his potential upside is as high as any young QB in the NFL.

MadtownPacker
12-19-2023, 02:21 PM
Bretsky shitsky, need to get your eyes checked. Agree with Patler and Postal. Love has flashed some major firepower in just about all the games. If anything it looks like he needs to throttle some throws down. Don’t see him dropping it in a bucket from 50yds like Rodgers could. But that style of passing always caused problems in bad weather, usually in the playoffs. Love also doesn’t fear the middle as Erron seemed to trying to avoid INTs. As mentioned some of his best throws went there.

Those are some nice stats for his season. He has shown enough that I am good with Packers losing the next two in close games then beating the bears to finish on a high note.

Joemailman
12-19-2023, 02:37 PM
6 of the last 8 games the Packers leading receiver has been a rookie. Wicks (2), Reed (2), Kraft, Musgrave.

For the season, 8 different receivers have been the Packers leading receiver for a game: Jones, Wicks (3), Doubs (3), Watson (2), Dillon, Reed (2), Musgrave, Kraft

texaspackerbacker
12-19-2023, 02:46 PM
That's another thing I like that he soaked up from Rodgers - spreading it around.

red
12-19-2023, 03:38 PM
That's another thing I like that he soaked up from Rodgers - spreading it around.

rodgers refused to throw the ball to rookies and is well known for it

rodgers would stare at adams when he was here and stay with him until he ran his entire route, THEN rodgers would start scrambling around looking for other people to get open (after they already ran their routes)

you can't just manufacture shit out of thin air like you do on a daily basis

Joemailman
12-19-2023, 03:54 PM
Rodgers did spread the ball around early in his career (Driver, Nelson, Jennings, Jones). But later in his career he definitely started focusing on one guy. Nelson, then Adams. And he never did like throwing to rookies much.

MadtownPacker
12-19-2023, 04:02 PM
Man did you start smoking strong weed? You are blanking out. Rodgers was a fucking elitist when it came to throwing his passes it seemed. I would liken it more to Brett spreading the ball to unknown WRs.

Sparkey
12-19-2023, 04:42 PM
My one concern with Love is situational awareness. You know 3rd down and 10 when you know you are going for it on 4th down. So, when the main read is covered, check down and get something. 4th and 5/6 is a heck of a lot easier than 4th and 10, or taking a sack and making it 4th and 17.

texaspackerbacker
12-19-2023, 10:43 PM
There were a helluva lot of games where Rodgers would have completions with 6 or 8 or 10 receivers. Sure, he sometimes avoided rookies; Sure, he threw a lot to Adams, but a LOT of times, he'd have like 8 or 10 to Adams and 15 other completions to 6 or more other guys.

Love, of course, has to throw to rookies because there's not much else out there, and of course also, he doesn't have a Davante Adams (yet) among them - as somebody said in here, 4 or 5 #2 level WRs and arguably better TEs than what we had most of the Rodgers years too.

Spreading it around is the second best thing from Rodgers that I like about Love. The best thing is his tendency NOT to stupidly throw interceptions. One thing where he is different than Rodgers that I really like, and I don't know if this his own doing or LaFleur's, is those deep drops. It always annoyed me that Rodgers very seldom did that - preferring 3 step or whatever drops. Sure, the deep drops can rarely bite you in the ass, but IMO, it helps a lot more often than it hurts.

RashanGary
12-19-2023, 11:04 PM
I looked back at some 2021 games. The bulk of the passes were to Adams, Jones or Dillon, but sure as shit, as crazy as Tex sounds most of the time, Rodgers did complete passes to 7 or 8 guys on most days. Usually 1 or 2, but yeah, he got everyone involved.

RashanGary
12-19-2023, 11:09 PM
I looked at the 2021 whole season. And yep, Rodgers had as many guys involved as Love does. Well, holy shit, Tex’s wild ass gets em right sometimes too.

RashanGary
12-19-2023, 11:21 PM
Random Stat, Richard Rodgers is the 200th all time leading tight end in receptions. There are 100 tight ends in the NFL right now. There have probably been over 3000 tight ends to play. Just an idea of how many players are in that pool. That puts him as a top 5% most productive tight end of all time :lol:

RashanGary
12-19-2023, 11:28 PM
I have 900 tight ends drafted since 1953. Richard Rodgers is the 200th all time. So at minimum, he’s a top 20% all time most productive tight end in NFL history :lol:

Joemailman
12-19-2023, 11:38 PM
I looked back at some 2021 games. The bulk of the passes were to Adams, Jones or Dillon, but sure as shit, as crazy as Tex sounds most of the time, Rodgers did complete passes to 7 or 8 guys on most days. Usually 1 or 2, but yeah, he got everyone involved.

Rodgers in 2021 targeted Adams on 28% of passes. And that doesn't count the number of times he wanted to go to Adams but had to check down to the backs because Adams was double covered. Love hasn't targeted a single receiver more than 17% of passes.

bobblehead
12-20-2023, 12:59 PM

He has happy feet. They got bad during that run where the OL was a sieve. During the offseason he has to work on setting his feet to throw. It should be an easy fix and then the short stuff won't sail as much.

bobblehead
12-20-2023, 01:02 PM

You mean like when Adams was catching 60% of the passes when Love was around? I love it when guys shoot out a narrative that is 100% opposite of all evidence. Rodgers shunned rookies, Love embraces them (I'll admit he doesn't really have a choice there).

bobblehead
12-20-2023, 01:03 PM
rodgers refused to throw the ball to rookies and is well known for it

rodgers would stare at adams when he was here and stay with him until he ran his entire route, THEN rodgers would start scrambling around looking for other people to get open (after they already ran their routes)

you can't just manufacture shit out of thin air like you do on a daily basis

Au contraire....he can and does.

bobblehead
12-20-2023, 01:06 PM
I looked at the 2021 whole season. And yep, Rodgers had as many guys involved as Love does. Well, holy shit, Tex’s wild ass gets em right sometimes too.

Its not the same. Rodgers may have hit Toure with a TD once. He may have hit 8 different targets. But the bulk of his passes went to Adams. He wasn't looking over his reads the last 2 years. Red described it perfectly.

The idea that Rodgers was utilizing all his players and spreading it around just doesn't play.

bobblehead
12-20-2023, 01:08 PM
Rodgers in 2021 targeted Adams on 28% of passes. And that doesn't count the number of times he wanted to go to Adams but had to check down to the backs because Adams was double covered. Love hasn't targeted a single receiver more than 17% of passes.

And even more to that point, Adams was the leading pass catcher in nearly all the games I would bet (here is where I could get patlerized cuz I'm too lazy to look).

run pMc
12-20-2023, 03:08 PM
Won't say anything about Tex, it's been said already. One thing you can say is that he's got opinions.

RG's observations are interesting, but I think the % of targets is a more telling stat than how many receivers caught a pass. If you throw 14 out of 20 passes to one player, is that really spreading the ball around? Were injuries a reason 15 different people caught a pass over a season?

Rodgers would throw to Adams even when double covered AND other players (usually rookies or check-downs) were open. Go back thru this forum at bad losses where people are screaming about Lazard or Tonyan being wide open, or why he's rolling his eyes at rookies.
Love doesn't really have a choice, that much is true.

As for Love, I've been more on the side of Bretsky's thinking that the eye test seems like he's missing some essential element that makes him 'It' as an elite franchise QB. He needs to work on his fundamentals, especially his footwork. That will benefit his accuracy, which is another area he is a bit lacking.
I do think improvement with footwork could bring his accuracy up a tick or two, but I don't see him as a 68% career passer. He might reach 65-66% (hes currently 62.6%) He also needs to stop underthrowing deep passes -- if his accuracy improves there, watch out. I have started to see flashes where he makes a really impressive throw -- the first TD to Reed vs. DET, the jump ball TD to Watson vs. KC, the TD this past week to Reed -- and he's making a throw like that almost weekly. That's encouraging stuff.

He should get better with off season work and experience, and he's already a mid-tier starter. I'm still skeptical he'll ever be top 5, but I think he can crack the top 10... which isn't nothing. I think he's better than Daniel Jones, but so are lots of players.
I think they will extend him next year to a longer contract, so we better get used to cheering for him.

red
12-20-2023, 04:46 PM
. Red described it perfectly.

well you know. drunken broken clock and twice a day and all that good stuff

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2023, 07:10 PM
Its not the same. Rodgers may have hit Toure with a TD once. He may have hit 8 different targets. But the bulk of his passes went to Adams. He wasn't looking over his reads the last 2 years. Red described it perfectly.

The idea that Rodgers was utilizing all his players and spreading it around just doesn't play.

bobblehead, as usual, you're late to the game. As I said and several others backed up, there were a lot of games even when Adams was getting all those passes thrown his way where Rodgers still had receptions by a half dozen or more others.

We should be so lucky as to have an Adams level guy develop from our excellent young group. If that happens - Wicks, Watson, whatever, probably Love would do the same as Rodgers.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2023, 07:21 PM
Won't say anything about Tex, it's been said already. One thing you can say is that he's got opinions.

RG's observations are interesting, but I think the % of targets is a more telling stat than how many receivers caught a pass. If you throw 14 out of 20 passes to one player, is that really spreading the ball around? Were injuries a reason 15 different people caught a pass over a season?

Rodgers would throw to Adams even when double covered AND other players (usually rookies or check-downs) were open. Go back thru this forum at bad losses where people are screaming about Lazard or Tonyan being wide open, or why he's rolling his eyes at rookies.
Love doesn't really have a choice, that much is true.

As for Love, I've been more on the side of Bretsky's thinking that the eye test seems like he's missing some essential element that makes him 'It' as an elite franchise QB. He needs to work on his fundamentals, especially his footwork. That will benefit his accuracy, which is another area he is a bit lacking.
I do think improvement with footwork could bring his accuracy up a tick or two, but I don't see him as a 68% career passer. He might reach 65-66% (hes currently 62.6%) He also needs to stop underthrowing deep passes -- if his accuracy improves there, watch out. I have started to see flashes where he makes a really impressive throw -- the first TD to Reed vs. DET, the jump ball TD to Watson vs. KC, the TD this past week to Reed -- and he's making a throw like that almost weekly. That's encouraging stuff.

He should get better with off season work and experience, and he's already a mid-tier starter. I'm still skeptical he'll ever be top 5, but I think he can crack the top 10... which isn't nothing. I think he's better than Daniel Jones, but so are lots of players.
I think they will extend him next year to a longer contract, so we better get used to cheering for him.

run pMc, I give you credit for being less of a dumbass than most of the "ya'all" community of fools. If Rodgers threw it into double coverage so often or other unwise throws, then how is it that his record of so few interceptions combined with a very decent completion percentage, etc. happened?

As for Love, I pretty much agree with what you said, and that's far more relevant than remembering or misremembering of the past. Most of all, though, I want Love to continue to avoid interceptions. That's what wins games. And hell yeah, we'll be cheering for Love for a long time.

Sparkey
12-20-2023, 09:17 PM
Based upon targeted length of pass, Rodgers % percentage on passes over 10 yards is around 67%, at 15 yards it drops to 59%. This is all based upon a quick peruse of sharpfootballstats

I might be wrong but my gut says that Love attempts slightly more long throws than Rodgers, hence the likely lower completion percentage.

One of my all time fav qb's was Ken Stabler. Love sometimes reminds me of how he played.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2023, 09:45 PM
Stabler actually threw more interceptions than TD passes in his career. I HOPE Love doesn't get like that.

Sparkey
12-20-2023, 10:03 PM
Stabler actually threw more interceptions than TD passes in his career. I HOPE Love doesn't get like that.

He was a winner, stats be damned.

Joemailman
12-20-2023, 10:14 PM

A lot of guys did back then. Plus, Stabler played too long and was pretty bad most of his last 7 years. He had more TD's than INT's in his prime.

RashanGary
12-21-2023, 07:59 AM
When you look at the stumble bums on the 2021 roster, I would hope Rodgers threw more passes to Adams.

This is a very different roster. Love has a lot of decent developing options and no go-to guy. If he had the 2021 roster you’d see more to Adams, I guarantee it.

ThunderDan
12-21-2023, 12:06 PM
When you look at the stumble bums on the 2021 roster, I would hope Rodgers threw more passes to Adams.

This is a very different roster. Love has a lot of decent developing options and no go-to guy. If he had the 2021 roster you’d see more to Adams, I guarantee it.

Are they developing because Love throws to them and ARod wouldn't? Isn't it on the QB to get the guys involved no matter who they are?

Sparkey
12-21-2023, 03:47 PM
KISS:

Receiver is open = Get him the ball

George Cumby
12-24-2023, 04:14 PM
Dont they all? Seems all the great QBs retire with tears not because they don’t want to because they just physically can’t anymore. About the same as the alpha being ran off by his pack or pride when he is no longer the strongest.

Manning, Favre, Brees, Brady, that's just off the top of my head, they were all shells of themselves at the end. Kaaron is already there, he was pretty middlin' last season.

CaptainD
12-24-2023, 04:18 PM
@RobDemovsky
With three TDs (two passing, one rushing), Jordan Love now has 30 combined passing and rushing scores this season.

He’s the fifth player in Packers history to do so. The others:

Aaron Rodgers (10 times)
Brett Favre (8)
Don Majkowski (1)
Lynn Dickey (1)

Teamcheez1
12-24-2023, 04:21 PM
Love now has more wins than Rodgers in his first season starting. Not bad considering Barry and the inexperience on the offensive side of the ball.

RashanGary
12-25-2023, 12:14 AM
KISS:

Receiver is open = Get him the ball

Yeah, throw it to people who can’t catch. Smart. KeEp IT sImpLE

Fritz
12-25-2023, 07:59 AM
Love now has more wins than Rodgers in his first season starting. Not bad considering Barry and the inexperience on the offensive side of the ball.

Even though his stat line wasn’t eye-popping, I was quite impressed with Love in this game. Some solid decision-making, some very good throws. He still seems to throw the ball too high, putting receivers in precarious positions, but all in all, the dude is a professional NFL QB. How good? We don’t know yet, but if he can improve on his accuracy, and because his decision-making will likely get better as he gains experience, he seems to have a high ceiling.

I think they have their QB for at least the next five years, barring injury. And I’m being conservative.

ThunderDan
12-25-2023, 08:15 AM

Just so we actually know who the stumble bums are:
Adams, Lazard, MVS, A Jones, Cobb, Dillon, Deguara, M Lewis, Tonyan, E St Bown, Winfree, A Rodgers & Davis

ThunderDan
12-25-2023, 08:18 AM

Official stats show only 15 drops for the whole season in 2021. 3 each by Jones and Devante. 2 for Cobb and Deguara. And 1 drop for 5 others.

Sparkey
12-25-2023, 11:26 AM

It's not on Love to build the roster. If guys can't catch they shouldn't be on the roster.

RashanGary
12-25-2023, 02:42 PM
Total production through their first 15 games as starter:

Aaron Rodgers:
3,938 yards
29 touchdowns
16 turnovers
91.4 QBR
5-10 team record

Jordan Love:
3,833 yards
30 touchdowns
13 turnovers
91.8 QBR
7-8 team record

Sparkey
01-01-2024, 12:13 PM
After watching Love play in Minny, In a game they had to win. His performance has convinced me that he is the guy, long term for the Packers.

All you need is LOVE!

Upnorth
01-02-2024, 12:22 PM
Total production through their first 15 games as starter:

Aaron Rodgers:
3,938 yards
29 touchdowns
16 turnovers
91.4 QBR
5-10 team record

Jordan Love:
3,833 yards
30 touchdowns
13 turnovers
91.8 QBR
7-8 team record

I remember the d losing a few games in 08, but I do t remember them being this bad.

Joemailman
01-02-2024, 06:39 PM
Randall Cobb had it right all along.

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/1446208975/photo/randall-cobb-of-the-green-bay-packers-looks-on-with-a-choose-love-slogan-on-his-helmet-during.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=htai2cgSEnj1925Fhce1deApJCtwJAmDEdLXIj2rPC4=

George Cumby
01-02-2024, 07:46 PM
^ Hahahahahahaha.

Joemailman
01-04-2024, 09:49 AM
Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

Jordan Love has been better than 2022 Aaron Rodgers

- From a clean pocket
- Against the blitz
- Vs. Pressure
- Outside structure
- As a deep ball thrower
- As a playmaker

But Love has done fewer news making interviews about his bowel movements so Rodgers beats him there

bobblehead
01-04-2024, 12:06 PM
This was kind of interesting: (Hope formatting doesn't suck too bad)

Favre Rodgers Love

W-L

8-5 6-10 8-8

Comp pct

64% 64% 63%

Yards per attempt

6.9 7.5 7.0

TD-INT

18-13 28-13 30-11

ANY/A+

106 112 108

The last stat is supposed to be a QBR across eras so to speak. Also some uncanny similarities to 2010 (Rodgers 2nd year). Love is 16 TD 1 pick in last 7 since we started 3-6. Rodgers in 2010 was 15 TD and no picks after 4-6 start before running the playoffs. IIRC the long knives were out for Rodgers right before that stretch as it was his second slow start to a season. The article doesn't mention the injuries this team has overcome to be on the verge of the playoffs, but that also mirrors 2010.

Other notes. Love has not completed a single pass to a WR/TE with 3 seasons experience. Packers have the most catches (280), receiving yards (3,356), receiving yards per game (209.8) and touchdown grabs (29) by first- or second-year players in NFL history. He ranks sixth in yards per attempt (7.1) and tops in TD-INT ratio (6-0) when pressured since Week 11.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/sizing-up-packers-jordan-love-with-other-nfl-quarterbacks-in-their-first-season-starting-and-how-he-got-here/ar-AA1mpGVL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=LCTS&cvid=880c7505a26042a8a9bedef76a0e3c3a&ei=15

Link included if you want to read the entire article.

run pMc
01-04-2024, 12:14 PM
I think Love is more Favre than Rodgers in play style.

Fair to say Love has outplayed last year's version of Rodgers.
Rodgers was hurt which affected his numbers, but that's what happens to old guys.

I wonder if anyone has the DVOA and other numbers of the Love and the GB offense in general since the PIT game. Seems like they've been really good since then.
It's a shame the defense and running game hasn't been able to help him out more, they'd be a dangerous team.

bobblehead
01-04-2024, 12:37 PM
I think Love is more Favre than Rodgers in play style.

Fair to say Love has outplayed last year's version of Rodgers.
Rodgers was hurt which affected his numbers, but that's what happens to old guys.

I wonder if anyone has the DVOA and other numbers of the Love and the GB offense in general since the PIT game. Seems like they've been really good since then.
It's a shame the defense and running game hasn't been able to help him out more, they'd be a dangerous team.

When Jones is right, the run game is pretty good. If he stays right, we can make some noise in the playoffs. If not, we won't make the playoffs. His injury combined with his effectiveness make him a very interesting offseason decision.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2024, 01:08 PM
In some ways maybe like Favre, but his best quality of all is his avoidance of interceptions, and that's like Rodgers, not so much like Favre. The mobility, the leadership, the spreading it around, the reading of defenses, etc., those attributes are like both Favre and Rodgers.

MadtownPacker
01-04-2024, 02:20 PM
You must be high Tex. I never saw great leadership from Rodgers. Quite the opposite from nearly the beginning. Would bet I started calling his eye-rolling bullshit out years before anyone else. He was a great talent and will always be a champion. No one can deny that but don’t make things up cuz was never the rally the team type.

As for spreading it around he started that way but as his friends left the team he went into hermit mode and became detrimental to the offense progressing.

NewsBruin
01-04-2024, 02:40 PM
It just doesn't seem meaningful to contrast
McCarthy-developed, McCarthy-offense, baby Aaron to
McCarthy-developed, LaFleur Lite-offense, cranky hand-signal dictator Hail-Mary Aaron to
LaFleur-developed, LaFleur Wauwatosa Fire Drill offense, baby Jordan.

On a lot of Jordan's highlight mid/deep throws, he's catching open guys in stride. That seems like something Aaron could have done if he wanted pre-planned motion and scripted routes. But for good or bad, he had his "let me scan pre-snap, check my hand signals, and then I'll launch it to the deepest guy on the field who was drafted during the Carter administration" offense.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2024, 11:50 PM
You must be high Tex. I never saw great leadership from Rodgers. Quite the opposite from nearly the beginning. Would bet I started calling his eye-rolling bullshit out years before anyone else. He was a great talent and will always be a champion. No one can deny that but don’t make things up cuz was never the rally the team type.

As for spreading it around he started that way but as his friends left the team he went into hermit mode and became detrimental to the offense progressing.

I think maybe you're a little bit biased hahahaha. Over his career, Rodgers was pretty great that way in addition to all other ways. The late years, maybe you're right to some extent, but the badness was overrated by the media pukes.

BrokenArrow
01-05-2024, 11:48 AM
In some ways maybe like Favre, but his best quality of all is his avoidance of interceptions, and that's like Rodgers, not so much like Favre. The mobility, the leadership, the spreading it around, the reading of defenses, etc., those attributes are like both Favre and Rodgers.

I think the big thing Love brings that Rodgers didn't was a short memory. He doesn't let a bad play bother him, he just keeps coming. Rodgers could be rattled and lose his composure. I've yet to see Love rattled even for a second.

bobblehead
01-05-2024, 02:08 PM
It just doesn't seem meaningful to contrast
McCarthy-developed, McCarthy-offense, baby Aaron to
McCarthy-developed, LaFleur Lite-offense, cranky hand-signal dictator Hail-Mary Aaron to
LaFleur-developed, LaFleur Wauwatosa Fire Drill offense, baby Jordan.

On a lot of Jordan's highlight mid/deep throws, he's catching open guys in stride. That seems like something Aaron could have done if he wanted pre-planned motion and scripted routes. But for good or bad, he had his "let me scan pre-snap, check my hand signals, and then I'll launch it to the deepest guy on the field who was drafted during the Carter administration" offense.

I think you overstate the last point, but that doesn't mean its all wrong. In any event you made me chuckle, so props.

MadtownPacker
01-05-2024, 08:12 PM
I think the big thing Love brings that Rodgers didn't was a short memory. He doesn't let a bad play bother him, he just keeps coming. Rodgers could be rattled and lose his composure. I've yet to see Love rattled even for a second.
Welcome to PackerRats! Your account is now fully active and your post can be viewed by everyone. Let me know if any questions.

RashanGary
01-05-2024, 08:21 PM

Welcome. We’re a tight knit group of people who hate each other. You might not want to disagree with tex on Rodgers takes. It might feel like beating your head against a wall.

texaspackerbacker
01-05-2024, 08:32 PM

You're right about Love, but wrong about Rodgers.

MadtownPacker
01-05-2024, 08:36 PM
:lol: Man fukin Rodgers held a grudge against his own family! Hell no did he forget things. If anything it fueled him.

George Cumby
01-05-2024, 08:44 PM

Welcome aboard.

His first start at KC last year his demeanor impressed and continues to do so. He's unflappable.

BrokenArrow
01-06-2024, 09:06 AM
Welcome to PackerRats! Your account is now fully active and your post can be viewed by everyone. Let me know if any questions.

Well, I actually used to post here quite a bit until about 5 or 6 years ago but I couldn't remember my login so I figure I'll just start over lol

MadtownPacker
01-06-2024, 09:17 AM
Well, I actually used to post here quite a bit until about 5 or 6 years ago but I couldn't remember my login so I figure I'll just start over lol
Mystery man huh? If you want your old account I can reset. But you might be under witness protection so up to you to start a new poster life.

BrokenArrow
01-06-2024, 10:58 AM

Maybe we have a different definition of "rattled" and "composure."

BrokenArrow
01-06-2024, 10:59 AM
Mystery man huh? If you want your old account I can reset. But you might be under witness protection so up to you to start a new poster life.

Heh. I can't even remember what my screen name was. Maybe Greenblood or something like that. No biggie.

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2024, 11:22 AM
Maybe we have a different definition of "rattled" and "composure."

I define it as letting it harm your performance on subsequent plays. How do you define it?

bobblehead
01-07-2024, 12:50 PM

What you describe are attributes of all great QBs. He isn't "like" either one of them. He is Jordan Love....his own man. Contrary to what talking heads want to say to make a story, Love developed because of Jordan Love. Rodgers played a role like any team mate and/or coach, no more, no less.

bobblehead
01-07-2024, 12:53 PM

Skin says its cause he doesn't care. Its a negative. I'm more in your camp. He is Giannis like to cross sports. He just keeps moving forward. He will wear teams down. His emotionless forward lean is a huge plus.

RashanGary
01-07-2024, 07:20 PM
What you describe are attributes of all great QBs. He isn't "like" either one of them. He is Jordan Love....his own man. Contrary to what talking heads want to say to make a story, Love developed because of Jordan Love. Rodgers played a role like any team mate and/or coach, no more, no less.

I don’t remember where I heard it recently, but someone on the team said Rodgers took love under his wing and showed him as much as he could.

There were things Rodgers did so incredibly well in his HOF career. Physically, especially mobilely, he declined. But mentally, he had some things he did and does that are special. And sometimes he got stubborn with his style and it backfired. Love got to take the good and observe when it went too far. He definitely learned a lot from being with Rodgers.

I’ll bet when Loves career is really defined, he’ll mention Rodgers as a big impact on his career.

George Cumby
01-07-2024, 07:23 PM
^ From what I've seen, Love's pretty damn good when he gets blitzed, a lot like K-Aaron.

RashanGary
01-07-2024, 07:32 PM
^ From what I've seen, Love's pretty damn good when he gets blitzed, a lot like K-Aaron.

He has a really accurate fade away. That’s an uncommon trait. Favre was really good that way too. Rodgers as well. It’s a big bonus when you can fall away from the hit and still make the throw.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2024, 08:19 PM
No worse? Much better 2023 was the outcome!

woodbuck27
01-07-2024, 08:28 PM
I like what I've been seeing with his head and the way he connects with his Receivers. He can deliver the ball accurately in different arm postions. His vision is well focused. He benefitted by watching Aaron Rodgers. The back wrong leg throws and his jump throws are getting it done.

I have no concerns now just go down to Texas next week and place fear in Mike McCarthy hahaha. Best up those Cowboys!

GoPackGO! ...Woodbuck

woodbuck27
01-07-2024, 08:33 PM
30,492 Posts Wow I was once very busy in my Packers Home. I'll try to up that to 30.5 K Posts today 7 Jan. '24.

woodbuck

W

woodbuck27
01-07-2024, 08:41 PM
He has a really accurate fadeaway. That’s an uncommon trait. Favre was really good that way too. Rodgers as well. It’s a big bonus when you can fall away from the hit and still make the throw.

I see Fare and Rodgers in Jordan Love.

It's a big relief to see RB Aaro Jones on point. I'm pumped for the Packers visit and stopover in Texas next weekend. I love our HC and we are hot and going to get real heay on Mike McCarthy next Weekend. I feel a McCarthy choke.

woodbuck...Go Pack GO !

woodbuck27
01-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Aaron Rodgers to the Jets has the makings of the John Hadl trade to the Packers, only for much less draft capital. Barring the Jets greatly improving their Oline in 2024, not sure Rodgers will even still want to play for them.
Hi Patler how is life treeting you?

woodbuck

MadtownPacker
01-07-2024, 08:49 PM
Woody!! Man you are losing it in your old age. That’s Spaulding your responding to! :lol:

RashanGary
01-07-2024, 09:18 PM
Woody!! Man you are losing it in your old age. That’s Spaulding your responding to! :lol:

:lol:

Joemailman
01-07-2024, 10:00 PM
Watching MLF scheme guys open last 8 weeks has made me wonder what last few years might have been like if Rodgers had just fully embraced the MLF offense.

red
01-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Watching MLF scheme guys open last 8 weeks has made me wonder what last few years might have been like if Rodgers had just fully embraced the MLF offense.

and embraced throwing to young receivers?

would gutey have drafted more WR's if he knew rodgers wouldn't shun them for a couple years?

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2024, 10:10 PM

Hard same. This has been a great coaching job by MILF.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2024, 10:17 PM
Yeah I can’t hate on him. “Pepe” came out the regular season smelling like roses.

Joemailman
01-07-2024, 10:39 PM
This never gets old. http://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1687591893402558464

George Cumby
01-07-2024, 10:46 PM
^Hahahahahaha.

call_me_ishmael
01-08-2024, 12:25 AM
This kid can really throw it. I mean look at this, god damn.

https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski/status/1744210658386645003

MadScientist
01-08-2024, 01:57 AM

That's the sort of throw they tell young QB's to never do, unless your name is Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers... or Jordan Love.

RashanGary
01-08-2024, 02:04 AM

You’re late to the party, I was kinda late too. Welcome to the Love train baby.

George Cumby
01-08-2024, 08:41 AM

If by 'throw' you mean casually flicking the empty soda can into the wastebasket, then yes.

Christ, he makes shit look easy.

Joemailman
01-08-2024, 09:27 AM
Packers win means no Jets at Packers game next year.

Fritz
01-08-2024, 09:35 AM
Packers win means no Jets at Packers game next year.

Not even if they buy a ticket?

call_me_ishmael
01-08-2024, 09:37 AM
I still have questions about his deep ball accuracy but no significant questions about his short game. He does seem to throw behind guys more often than I'd like. I think this lack of accuracy may be off-set by his willingness to sling it. He is a weird mashup of Brett and Aaron where he'll throw it up anywhere but somehow doesn't actually throw interceptions.

Joemailman
01-08-2024, 09:57 AM
I still have questions about his deep ball accuracy but significant questions about his short game. He does seem to throw behind guys more often than I'd like. I think this lack of accuracy may be off-set by his willingness to sling it. He is a weird mashup of Brett and Aaron where he'll throw it up anywhere but somehow doesn't actually throw interceptions.

They've basically stopped throwing the deep sideline passes that he was missing so badly on. Some of that may be due to not having Watson. He's still a work in progress, but he's making throws Rodgers wouldn't even attempt early in his career.

run pMc
01-08-2024, 03:44 PM
That's the sort of throw they tell young QB's to never do, unless your name is Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers... or Jordan Love.

Yeah, late, across your body and over the middle is a bad combination, especially if you don't throw it where only your guy can catch it.
Love has outplayed the 2008 and 2022 versions of Rodgers. Looks like we're all going to see how his career unfolds. I expect they'll be announcing an extension in May.

He does have a list of things to work on -- his footwork being one. MLF did adjust plays to his strengths (as he should) but smart teams will watch film and find ways to better defend and take away the throws he does best.
I think if he works on his fundamentals his accuracy will improve everywhere on the field. Assuming there is continued improvement and development at the skill positions, that will help him out too.

RashanGary
01-08-2024, 07:29 PM
He does have a list of things to work on -- his footwork being one. MLF did adjust plays to his strengths (as he should) but smart teams will watch film and find ways to better defend and take away the throws he does best.
I think if he works on his fundamentals his accuracy will improve everywhere on the field. Assuming there is continued improvement and development at the skill positions, that will help him out too.

Everyone can polish fundamentals. Until the retire. They’ll never stop doing that.

But Love is very accurate falling away and it’s far better for him to fall a way more often than to stand in there too often and get killed. That is way overblown to me.

Occasionally he doest have his feet turned in the right direction and I see him miss 90% of those. But those are rare in the second half of the season. Maybe one every two games lately.

The primary criticism people lay on his fundamentals is the fall away, and I insist it’s an asset.

bobblehead
01-08-2024, 07:32 PM
Everyone can polish fundamentals. Until the retire. They’ll never stop doing that.

But Love is very accurate falling away and it’s far better for him to fall a way more often than to stand in there too often and get killed. That is way overblown to me.

Occasionally he doest have his feet turned in the right direction and I see him miss 90% of those. But those are rare in the second half of the season. Maybe one every two games lately.

The primary criticism people lay on his fundamentals is the fall away, and I insist it’s an asset.

I agree. Falling away actually increases accuracy. Think step back 3. Think of SS throwing off balance in MLB. However you lose a little steam doing it. Love has shown a master class ability to throw off platform. All the things Zack Wilson was supposed to do.

Bretsky
01-08-2024, 11:25 PM
FINAL 8 games for LOVE

18 TD's and 1 INT
70.3 percent completion %
112.4 passer rating

Joemailman
01-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Interesting comments by Mick Bosa. https://twitter.com/KNBR/status/1747365285668217112

MadtownPacker
01-16-2024, 08:56 PM
Well Bosa did make Rodgers his bitch so he should know.

texaspackerbacker
01-16-2024, 11:24 PM
FINAL 8 games for LOVE

18 TD's and 1 INT
70.3 percent completion %
112.4 passer rating

All of that, and Love just keeps on getting better.