PDA

View Full Version : Gary Horton Chat : (Packers worst team in NFC North)

motife
04-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Gary Horton: Hello! As we are seeing, not much is going on in free agency right now. Most teams started their pre-draft meetings on Monday. The focus now seems to be on the draft. But we'll see some moves in the next couple weeks and a surge after the draft as teams fill out their open spots. But FAs looking for big money deals are finding out there are none to be had!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason (Albuquerque, NM): The Packers were devastated by injuries last year. If they sign a guy like Arrington, draft Hawk or Williams, and Favre returns, do you think that they have a legit shot at the post-season?

Gary Horton: I don't think they have postseason hopes. They have more problems than people realize. Hawk and Arrington would be a huge improvement bu they still have major problems on the offensive line and a No. 1 WR that doesn't want to be there. They don't really have a franchise TE and I just don't see what they have done in the offseason to improve the offense to the point where they think they will be a better team. Green Bay is the worst team in the NFC North right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike,(Madrid, Spain): gary, what do you think about this year?s draft? Is it the most difficult draft in many years to figure out? there could be 8 DBs taken in the 1st round, my question is how they will be drafted is hard to determine because each team has a different ranking for the DBs. I feel like this draft will have a run on DBs in the first round and then a similar trend with TEs in the 2nd... your opinion?

Gary Horton: Every draft develops its own personality. But I agree there are some quality DBs in this group. I'm just not sure there will be a big early run on them. I think what is happening in today's NFL is a lot of teams are playing more cover 2 which allows DBs, esp. corners, to be zone players which minimizes the premium on man-to-man skills and allows you to take those guys lower in the draft than in the past.

Don Reston Va: Hey Gary in your opinion is Vince Young overated? Yeah he won a lot of games at the college level but he wont be in the shot gun at the next level.

Gary Horton: I don't think he is overrated in the sense that he is a great talent. The scary part about Young is the projected time to get him ready to make the transition. His mechanics are not very good and he has a low release point. You already mentioned his playing in the shotgun. Remember, a lot of his big plays in college came off designed running plays which are eliminated in the NFL and that certainly minimizes his production. In my mind, Michael Vick was much farther along in terms of NFL skills coming out of college than Young. And look at the inconsistency he has had.

Marshall (Terre Haute, IN): Was Brian Griese brought into be a backup to Grossman, or do we see down the rode that Griese takes the starting position?

Gary Horton: I think the organizational line is that Griese is the backup to Grossman. But I think this is a much more open battle than people realize. Grossman looked good late in the 2005 season because the offense was struggling so much under Orton. But Griese is a veteran who can see the entire field and manage a game. That is exactly what Chicago wants in a QB. They don't need him to win games. They need him to hand off and not make mistakes and make key throws when necessary. Griese can do that better than Grossman.

Mikey (West Lafayette, IN): There are a lot of complaints about how the Cardinals' OL will perform next year. One thing that has been overlooked, though, is that they weren't healthy for much of the season. With the addition of Milford Brown, do you think that the Card OL will be at least acceptable for next year?

Gary Horton: I still think this is a bad OL and I think they will address it in the draft. But, the acquisition of Edgerrin James dramatically improves the line without adding a player. He will hit the holes quicker, make better reads and not force his OL to hold their blocks as long. His receiving skills will spread out defenses which give the OL better blocking angles. I think they will be improved but they are still not good enough.

Steve (Boston College): Hey Gary, what's the future looking like for the Jets? Are we going to draft Ferguson to protect Chad (while also drafting Maroney)... or are we going to make a run at trading up? What's the smartest thing they could do, draft wise?

Gary Horton: I know it is early but I think the Jets should make a run at Matt Leinart. I do not have any faith that Pennington can hold up or will have the arm strength necessary to play well. I think Leinart could be the face this organization could build around. The Jets could possibly entertain moving up to No. 2 to ensure getting Leinart. Right now they have shown no indication they want to do that. They can also sit at No. 4 and be assured at getting Leinart, Young or Cutler or one of the two other great players on the board .. Ferguson and Williams.

Gary (Boston, Mass): In 3 years from now who do you think will be the biggest star from this draft?

Gary Horton: I think Winston Justice from USC is going to shock people as to how good he will be. I saw his workout at USC and it's the best OL workout I have seen. He is flat out terrific. I think he will be a great pro. But I think AJ Hawk from Ohio State is also going to be a great player. There are obviously a lot of other guys that we just don't know that will surprise us.

CC (Atl): Who of the top 10 projected prospects has the highest bust potential? I'm going with Young.

Gary Horton: I would tend to agree with you, CC. Like everybody else, I love his athleticism, but I think we have seen that in itself doesn't make you a NFL QB. My biggest concern is his ability to make the adjustment to the NFL in terms of reading complex defenses and making good decisions. Like Vick, he will keep us dazzled and teased with some impromptu run plays, etc. But I don't know if that will be enough.

T (NYC): Is the signing of Peerless in Buffalo really a improvement?????? Is this team better now?

Gary Horton: I don't think so. I thought he was an absolute bust in Atlanta. Price went to the Falcons with the idea of being the No. 1 go-to guy. In my opinion, he proved he could not match up against opposing defenses No. 1 corners. With Moulds departed in Buffalo, it's harder to hide in that offense like he used to as the No. 2 receiver.

Daigo (NYC): Doesn't Jey Cutler have J.P. Losman written all over him?

Gary Horton: You know what, that is a great observation. Although I think Cutler's work habits and approach to the game are much better than Losman who has a reputation for not preparing well. What we are seeing now is teams starting to let reality set in as we get closer to the draft. All these love affairs we have had with players are starting to wane. I'm not saying he won't be a good player, but in my opinion we've overrated him somewhat based on the Senior Bowl and a good combine workout.

Gary Horton: One of the most confusing things to me in the NFL is how many times we miss on highly drafted QBs. I wish I had a nice easy comfortable answer. But so many of these guys aren't close to what we project them to be.

Jay (Minnesota): Gary, honestly, did we make a big mistake by letting go of Culpepper to the Dolphins for only a second rounder?

Gary Horton: Well, from a football standpoint, you would think it is a huge loss. As I understand it, his rehab program is ahead of schedule and he may be ready to play in the fall. But from a lockerroom standpoint, the Vikes were headed for problems with the new coaching staff. They just weren't comfortable with Culpepper. From that angle, it probably had to be done.

Sean (PGH (via c-town)): Why do teams put so much emphasis on the pre-draft workouts instead of game tapes? Look at Heath Miller last year. He was a steal at 30 and everyone was kicking themselves for passing on him.

Gary Horton: I think most teams will tell you that at the end of the day, how the guy plays on film is still the key in where you draft him. But you are right, we do get hung up on the measureables and how athletic a guy is. While that is important, I've always said that I could go to a gym class at any major university and find good athletes that can run fast and perform all these drills. So yes, we have to pay a lot of attention to actual game performance.

Tim (Cincinnati, OH): Was there this much hype on Kijana Carter as there is on Bush...I cant remember?

Gary Horton: I think there is more hype around Reggie Bush because of his versatility. Carter was a good back on a good team, just like Bush, but he didn't have eye-popping athleticsm like Bush. Reggie is off the charts athletically and he can change a game everytime he touches the ball. On top of that, he is a great character guy.

Gary Horton: I liken him a little bit to Eric Metcalf when he came out in terms of all the different roles he can play in an offense.

Jeremy, Melrose, WI: Why are the Packers waiting so long on Brett Farve, and do you think he's coming back?

Gary Horton: I think they are waiting so long because Favre just hasn't made a decision yet. He holds all the cards in this situation. It isn't impacting the Packer so far because it doesn't change their free agency plans and as long as they know by the draft what he is going to do, it will help their draft plans. I'm puzzled as to why the Packers didn't get a quality veteran while Rodgers gets ready to play, if he can play. They are totally held hostage by Favre right now. If he doesn't come back, in my mind they are in huge trouble at QB.

Mike (Asheville): Do the panthers really need to address the RB position, they drafted Shelton out of Louisville last year.

Gary Horton: I think you are always going to see Carolina add depth to the RB position even though many think they are OK. They love to pound the ball and control the clock. They need a lot of carries by the backs to get that done. I compare them a lot to the Broncos. If they see a quality back, even if it is not a huge need, don't be surprised if it is an option.

Tim (Cincinnati, OH): Do you think the NFL is going to let Bush wear #5?

Gary Horton: Why shouldn't he be able to wear No. 5? I don't get it. But if the rule is hard and fast, then he should adjust. I understand it is a story now, but I'm guessing a story for a slow news day.

Jeff (Dayton): Vince Young = Akili Smith

Gary Horton: I would disagree with that. But I know where you are going. Akili was a one-year producer at Oregon with a rocket arm and great stats. But that is where the comparison ends. Young is a much bigger and more physical QB and he is a higher character guy with great work habits. Akili is one of those guys that you loved his workout but he had some red flags entering the draft in terms of character, etc. Obviously his physical talent couldn't overcome those things.

Carson (High Point,NC): Do you think it is a real possibility for the Packers to consider drafting a QB at No.5 no matter what Favre decides?

Gary Horton: I think there is a better chance of them looking at the QB position than a lot of people realize. They have Rodgers who many think could be a bust and at the least, is not ready to play next year. If any one of the big three - Young, Cutler or Leinart - dropped to them, it would be very interesting. However, with Leinart projected to be gone, they might learn more to Cutler than Young because of the developmental time. It's not a good position to be in because if they do draft a young QB, you are admitting you made a mistake a year ago. Even though you keep Rodgers around and try to develop him. If you don't draft a QB this year or next year, you are handing off a team to a QB that many don't believe in and you have no backup plan.

Gary Horton: Thanks for all the great questions. We had some really insightful comments today. It's obvious you are all starting to really get into this draft and pick it apart. We'll get a much better feel for where guys are lining up and what teams will do in terms of moves. For me, the next couple weeks is the most fun part of the draft process. We really start to anticipate where players will land and makes guesses as to what each team will do. Until April 29 we are all experts! Talk to you on Monday!

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2006, 05:48 PM
It seems that GB has become the punching bag of the NFL these days.

But that is also because there are more packer fans than of other bad teams, so they come up a lot.

Bretsky
04-17-2006, 06:31 PM
It seems that GB has become the punching bag of the NFL these days.

But that is also because there are more packer fans than of other bad teams, so they come up a lot.

Last year they were the punching bag as well. Many posters rip the media, but they were right on in their analysis of Ted Thompson's moves last year and the fact that our interior OL talent was not there. When GB was good many media guys immensely praised GB and even predicted them getting to the SB based on potential.

They are right more than we give them credit for.

b bulldog
04-17-2006, 08:47 PM
THEY MAY BE THE WORST IN FOOTBALL NOT JUST THE nORTH.