PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers v Bears @ Lambeau Discussion Thread

RashanGary
01-01-2024, 07:16 PM
My 21 yr old Giants fan son and I are gonna be there! Win and in!

Bears defense was a pass rusher away. Since adding Sweat (top 10 edge and more productive than Gary), they’ve been a top 5 defense.

Fields is as accurate and strong armed as anyone. And he can really run. Just from a physical standpoint of arm talent and mobility, he’s on Lamar’s level because Fields is a more accurate passer. But he’s Forrest Gump level stupid. He stands there baffled on most drop backs. Lamar can actually process the game so it’s no comparison whos a better quarterback. But…. The packers have a young and somewhat predictable defense. That’s the kind of easy reads Fields can dominate with. On the other hand, the Packers have the speed on the edge (Preston, Gary, LVN) to make a mobile quarterbacks job harder.

Regardless, the Bears are playing really good ball right now and Fields is a threat go off on any given Sunday, even if it is only one in 5 games, those epic ones do pop off and it could happen.

It’s going to be a tough, hard fought, traditional Bears defense vs elite Packers QB kind of game.

Go Pack Go!!!

RashanGary
01-01-2024, 07:17 PM
My son just got his back to back 4.0s in his last two semesters at GB. He’s gonna be a teacher and a coach. So he loves ball. It’s gonna be a lot of fun!!

RashanGary
01-01-2024, 07:31 PM
Back when I was a young and a Tex level aggressive sports nut (2007) my son was 5 years old and liked football. The Giants, lead by Strahan, Osi, Tuck and Robbin’s beat the snot out of Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. I was cheering for them to injure him and celebrating every violent attack he endured. The Giants won and from then on my son was a Giants fan. That might have been the helmet catch game too.

Back then, like Tex, I too used to attack Rastak and rub it in his face when we injured the Vikings. I had a few rough edges, but have calmed down with age and psych medication.

RashanGary
01-01-2024, 07:40 PM
And to waste your time further with my memories, the last game my son and I were at was the Rodgers Cobb end of the half Hail Mary game against my sons Giants squad. We were 1/3 of the way up on the south end zone where Cobb scored. The whole crowd threw our hands up and I blacked out. I forgot what was going on and then there was this moment where I was like damn, I don’t even know what dimension I check out into, but I’m back here on earth and that was the coolest feeling ever.

So yeah, hopefully this is another epic one! Maybe I’ll skip meds for a week and get some nose candy just to make sure I’m in the right head space for the event.

Joemailman
01-01-2024, 07:55 PM
From the Packers perspective, this is maybe the most important Packers/Bears game since the 2013 season finale when Rodgers hit a wide open Cobb late for the 33-28 winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtAEIeS7pW4

Joemailman
01-01-2024, 08:06 PM
Packers favored by 3.
Over/under 44
Moneyline: Packers -172, Bears +144

RashanGary
01-01-2024, 08:09 PM
It’s gonna be funny if 15 years from now we’re listening to Tom Brady (foxes long time lead analyst in 2038) talking about how the Packers have been starting 3 HOF quarterbacks for 45 years and the Bears have started 103 stumble bums for half a century.

Vincenzo
01-01-2024, 08:18 PM
Bears are seemingly playing for nothing but have won 4 of their last 5. Their D has been one of the top defenses in the 2nd half of the season. Better not take them lightly.

Fosco33
01-02-2024, 07:39 AM
And to waste your time further with my memories, the last game my son and I were at was the Rodgers Cobb end of the half Hail Mary game against my sons Giants squad. We were 1/3 of the way up on the south end zone where Cobb scored. The whole crowd threw our hands up and I blacked out. I forgot what was going on and then there was this moment where I was like damn, I don’t even know what dimension I check out into, but I’m back here on earth and that was the coolest feeling ever.

So yeah, hopefully this is another epic one! Maybe I’ll skip meds for a week and get some nose candy just to make sure I’m in the right head space for the event.
I was at that game too

Joemailman
01-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Bears are seemingly playing for nothing but have won 4 of their last 5. Their D has been one of the top defenses in the 2nd half of the season. Better not take them lightly.

It's the exact same situation as last game last year. Lions were hot but had been eliminated from the playoffs earlier in the day. Packers were in a win an in situation. Knocking the Packers out of the playoffs was the Lions own Super Bowl. I gotta believe MLF is reminding the team of what happened a year ago.

CaptainKickass
01-02-2024, 10:13 AM
Love has more single-season passing yards and passing touchdowns than any Bears quarterback in NFL history.

That's hard to believe, but correct. In 1995, Erik Kramer threw for 3,838 yards, 29 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions. It's Chicago's best statistical season of quarterback play. Love beat that in year one.

STOKE THE FIRE!

George Cumby
01-02-2024, 10:41 AM
Have a great time, Rashan.

Bring home a playoff spot!

Bears are playing really well, somehow they've turned the season around and haven't quit. Hard to believe, given how much turmoil there was at the beginning of the season.

Teamcheez1
01-02-2024, 02:22 PM
Packers should take a look at DL Biggs and RB Cook on waivers.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2024, 03:24 PM
What Cook? Surely not Dalvin or his little brother?

I've never been able to work up as much hate for the Bears as I have for the Vikings. Before they were the pathetic losers they became, permanent suckage and all, they were a team to respect more often than not over the many decades.

In the here and now, there has been a few recent signs that the "Bears still suck" line may be coming to the end. The Packers need this game, and I think they will win it, but ...... it might not be easy. I have always had a high opinion of Justin Fields. And the Packers seem to have a particular problem with running QBs even more than Joe Barry's D has problems in general. As good as Fields is, though, Love is better. And the Packers team in general is so loaded that even Joe B can't drag it down.

Joemailman
01-02-2024, 03:34 PM
The bad news is the Packers are 0-2 at home this year vs division rivals. The good news is the second time this year the Packers have faced division rivals, Love has ripped them apart.

run pMc
01-02-2024, 04:06 PM
Packers should take a look at DL Biggs and RB Cook on waivers.

Buggs? Someone will pick him up. Not sure who you cut to make room for him on GB's roster, not with all the young DL under contract. He's better than Johnathon Ford on the PS, but I don't think he's signing there when DET would sign him and keep him around.
Dalvin Cook would be a fascinating backup to Aaron Jones, but I don't think there's much tread left on those tires. Cook has had a lot of injuries and a bigger workload than Jones, both drafted same year.

Kick the tires on them? Sure.
Sign them to the 53 in hopes they'd be ready to play in a week? LOL no. You roll with who you have at this point.

run pMc
01-02-2024, 04:11 PM

Agree. The defense has really improved and the Montez Sweat trade has made a big difference. They will be a challenge. Being at home will help GB.
Justin Fields has played better, but if Jaire is back and his head is in the game they can put him on DJ Moore and that will basically shut down the passing game. The 1-2 punch of Herbert and Johnson at RB are pretty good and we all know about the Joe Barry run defense.

I think this is a closer game than Week 1, but I also think GB should be able to squeak it out. If they can get some good news on their injuries (Watson, Wicks, Reed, Musgrave, Preston Smith, McDuffie) that will really help GB.

run pMc
01-02-2024, 05:14 PM
FYI - Toure on IR, Melton is on the 53 officially.

Fritz
01-02-2024, 06:23 PM
FYI - Toure on IR, Melton is on the 53 officially.

Toure placed on IR with an injury identified as a “brain fart.”

Joemailman
01-03-2024, 11:25 AM
https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2023&wk=18

CBS Late - All of Great Lakes area, Alaska and much of the rest of the country will get Bears at Packers. Jim Nantz and Tony Romo with the call.

https://506sports.com/2023/18-CBS-L.png

Joemailman
01-03-2024, 02:00 PM
Mike Spofford
@mikespofford

WRs Christian Watson, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks all practicing for #Packers Wednesday.
Also practicing: CB Jaire Alexander, LB De’Vondre Campbell.
Not practicing: S Rudy Ford, G Elgton Jenkins, LB Isaiah McDuffie, LB Preston Smith

bobblehead
01-03-2024, 02:19 PM
My 21 yr old Giants fan son and I are gonna be there! Win and in!

Bears defense was a pass rusher away. Since adding Sweat (top 10 edge and more productive than Gary), they’ve been a top 5 defense.

Fields is as accurate and strong armed as anyone. And he can really run. Just from a physical standpoint of arm talent and mobility, he’s on Lamar’s level because Fields is a more accurate passer. But he’s Forrest Gump level stupid. He stands there baffled on most drop backs. Lamar can actually process the game so it’s no comparison whos a better quarterback. But…. The packers have a young and somewhat predictable defense. That’s the kind of easy reads Fields can dominate with. On the other hand, the Packers have the speed on the edge (Preston, Gary, LVN) to make a mobile quarterbacks job harder.

Regardless, the Bears are playing really good ball right now and Fields is a threat go off on any given Sunday, even if it is only one in 5 games, those epic ones do pop off and it could happen.

It’s going to be a tough, hard fought, traditional Bears defense vs elite Packers QB kind of game.

Go Pack Go!!!

Pretty good sum up. The Bears are dangerous right now. I agree with most of what you said about Fields, except that I think the biggest difference between him and Lamaar is coaching. Harbaugh has built an offense around 2 reads and run. The 2 reads are almost built in presnap regardless of D. It makes processing much easier. I haven't been watching the Bears other than high lights, but your assessment seems pretty accurate. They are playing well and playing to Fields strengths.

Vincenzo
01-03-2024, 02:55 PM
Mike Spofford
@mikespofford

WRs Christian Watson, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks all practicing for #Packers Wednesday.
Also practicing: CB Jaire Alexander, LB De’Vondre Campbell.
Not practicing: S Rudy Ford, G Elgton Jenkins, LB Isaiah McDuffie, LB Preston Smith
Great news, especially Christian Glass Watson.

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2024, 03:26 PM
Considering how fragile Watson is and how well the team has played without him, I hope they play him sparingly, a few deep routes, etc,

Joemailman
01-03-2024, 06:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GC80myAWcAApL8s?format=jpg&name=large

run pMc
01-04-2024, 11:09 AM
Packers are ranked 9th in DVOA on offense, 28th on defense.
Chicago is ranked 21st on offense, 14th on defense.

Packers offense has been very good since the PIT game, CHI D since the trade for Sweat and Jaylon Johnson realizing he's not getting traded (and playing for that fat contract).

Will be a good matchup. I expect a close game. Division games often are.

Chicago has improved, especially on defense, but Justin Fields hasn't really set the world on fire as a passer. The teams they've beat on their run haven't been the top teams except for Detroit.
Many of the things that directly contributed to recent Bears wins are unusual - Josh Dobbs throwing 4 INTs, rushing for 250 yards vs. ARI, getting a phenomenal performance from DJ Moore (and stupid play from Taylor Heinecke) vs. ATL.

I'm not calling them frauds, but I don't think they've been a juggernaut either.

Keys to the game:
- Don't turn the ball over
- Utilize slot WR and RB as receivers (Bears are bad covering them)
- Stop the run game
- Blanket DJ Moore
- Keep Fields in the pocket

They do those things and they'll win easily. Problem is, most of those are defensive tasks, so I don't trust Barry.

bobblehead
01-04-2024, 12:11 PM
Could this be the game we see Musgrave line up as a BIG slot? With Kraft emerging as the inline TE, its the natural next step.

run pMc
01-04-2024, 12:16 PM
Glad that trade for Chase Claypool never happened. I forgot he was in the league.

Since getting shipped off to MIA, he's had 3 catches on 5 targets. He's gonna wash out of the league.

run pMc
01-04-2024, 12:18 PM
Could this be the game we see Musgrave line up as a BIG slot? With Kraft emerging as the inline TE, its the natural next step.

CHI is fairly good against the run, but GB offense in 12 personnel and then motioning Musgrave (and Reed) around could cause the CHI defense some problems. Kraft and Musgrave feel like potential matchup nightmares, and I like it.

Fritz
01-04-2024, 01:54 PM
Packers are ranked 9th in DVOA on offense, 28th on defense.
Chicago is ranked 21st on offense, 14th on defense.

Packers offense has been very good since the PIT game, CHI D since the trade for Sweat and Jaylon Johnson realizing he's not getting traded (and playing for that fat contract).

Will be a good matchup. I expect a close game. Division games often are.

Chicago has improved, especially on defense, but Justin Fields hasn't really set the world on fire as a passer. The teams they've beat on their run haven't been the top teams except for Detroit.
Many of the things that directly contributed to recent Bears wins are unusual - Josh Dobbs throwing 4 INTs, rushing for 250 yards vs. ARI, getting a phenomenal performance from DJ Moore (and stupid play from Taylor Heinecke) vs. ATL.

I'm not calling them frauds, but I don't think they've been a juggernaut either.

Keys to the game:
- Don't turn the ball over
- Utilize slot WR and RB as receivers (Bears are bad covering them)
- Stop the run game
- Blanket DJ Moore
- Keep Fields in the pocket

They do those things and they'll win easily. Problem is, most of those are defensive tasks, so I don't trust Barry.

Yup. I'm expecting Fields to break some huge runs. Rashan Gary is just not that disciplined, and if Preston doesn't play, neither will Van Ness/Enagbare be. And asking a Joe Barry defense to stop the run - that happens once in a blue moon, and we had ours last week.

George Cumby
01-04-2024, 02:06 PM
I admit I am nervous about this one.

Primarily because we are sporting a junior high defensive scheme led by a guy who shouldn't be leading anything other than a middle school band.

Joemailman
01-04-2024, 03:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDBzBKMXwAAklW1?format=png&name=900x900

Joemailman
01-04-2024, 04:55 PM
If Elgton can't go, I'm guessing they go with Runyan at LG and Rhyan at RG.

Fritz
01-04-2024, 05:45 PM
If Elgton can't go, I'm guessing they go with Runyan at LG and Rhyan at RG.

The Sean Rhyan audition. Now’s the time to see what they have. It’s not like he’s had no experience. He’s a second-year guy who’s played about 15 or so snaps a game for about half the season. Time to show what he’s got.

Now, what will they do if Myers can’t go?

Joemailman
01-04-2024, 05:55 PM
The Sean Rhyan audition. Now’s the time to see what they have. It’s not like he’s had no experience. He’s a second-year guy who’s played about 15 or so snaps a game for about half the season. Time to show what he’s got.

Myers was a full participant in practice today, so he's probably good to go. But if not they would probably have 2 options: Runyan or Tom. If Tom, then Nijman at RT. If both Jenkins and Myers were out, then you either have:

LG Newman/C Runyan/RG Rhyan

or LG Runyan/C Tom/RG Rhyan/RT Nijman

call_me_ishmael
01-04-2024, 06:32 PM
It’s a playoff game. Big country will be out there.

RashanGary
01-04-2024, 08:00 PM
Fields said Lambeau will probably be loud because there is nothing to do in GB but watch football. The fans will have a chip on their shoulders and bring the energy. Needless to say, my son and I will be booing him at every chance. And getting very loud when he’s trying to organize the offense.

There are ZERO packers pro bowlers. The players will have a chip on their shoulders and bring the energy.

It’s a playoff game for us. There is plenty of ammo for the fans and players. Lambeau gonna be lit!!!

Bretsky
01-04-2024, 08:06 PM
Fields said Lambeau will probably be loud because there is nothing to do in GB but watch football. The fans will have a chip on their shoulders and bring the energy. Needless to say, my son and I will be booing him at every chance. And getting very loud when he’s trying to organize the offense.

There are ZERO packers pro bowlers. The players will have a chip on their shoulders and bring the energy.

It’s a playoff game for us. There is plenty of ammo for the fans and players. Lambeau gonna be lit!!!

What a dumb crap

There is a LOTTA Caramel to chase in Green Bay at the OO :))))

MadtownPacker
01-04-2024, 09:37 PM
What a dumb crap

There is a LOTTA Caramel to chase in Green Bay at the OO :))))
Is that place still in business?

RashanGary
01-04-2024, 09:54 PM
Is that place still in business?

I think so, haha. Last I was in that area, it looked open.

RashanGary
01-04-2024, 09:55 PM
I’ve gone once since that night. Probably 5 years ago, haha!!

Fritz
01-05-2024, 08:03 AM

Honestly, I don't think this stuff matters much if at all. I think players use it as an artificial aid, maybe, but even then, I don't think it matters.

They can get into the playoffs if they win. What more motivation could you want?

Of course, they had that same motivation last year, and we know how that ended...

Bears are playing well, just as the Loin were last year coming in. Last year the Packers - offense and defense - seemed kinda brittle. This year, it's just the defense, and sadly, the special teams.

Bretsky
01-05-2024, 08:13 AM
I think so, haha. Last I was in that area,.

Was that Last Night ? :)

RashanGary
01-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Honestly, I don't think this stuff matters much if at all. I think players use it as an artificial aid, maybe, but even then, I don't think it matters.

They can get into the playoffs if they win. What more motivation could you want?

Of course, they had that same motivation last year, and we know how that ended...

Bears are playing well, just as the Loin were last year coming in. Last year the Packers - offense and defense - seemed kinda brittle. This year, it's just the defense, and sadly, the special teams.

I do think zero probowlers pisses them off. But yeah, the Bears are playing great ball right now. It’s gonna be a fist fight for sure.

RashanGary
01-05-2024, 11:08 AM
The cherry picked 16 most prolific passing games of Fields career compared to the first 16 games of Jordan Loves career as a full time starter. I went 3 or more TD passes first. Over 200 yards second. 2 touchdown games third. So his most yards and TD games as a passer.

Fields
289/457 63.2% 3,526yds 27td/12int 95.68rate 156rushatt/1,048yds 8TD/9fum 4,574totYD 35totTD

Love
345/547 63.1% 3,843yds 30td/11int 93.8rate 47rush/248yds 4TD/8fum 4,091totYD 34totTD

RashanGary
01-05-2024, 11:10 AM
Fields is a guy the media and fan base talks about as having a good chance of being the guy. He made the NFL top 100 this year. This is cherry picking his best games. And Love is right in the ball park including his worst games. Crazy.

run pMc
01-05-2024, 01:42 PM
Fields is a guy the media and fan base talks about as having a good chance of being the guy. He made the NFL top 100 this year. This is cherry picking his best games. And Love is right in the ball park including his worst games. Crazy.

Yeah was about to say, Love doesn't have the benefit of several seasons to cherry pick from. We've learned the hard way that even Baker, Bryce, or DeVito can have an elite level QB game. With a larger sample size I suspect Jordan Love's stats will look substantially better than Fields.

One other important comparison point:
Justin Fields has never gotten the Bears into the playoffs, much less kept them in playoff contention in the final week of the season. He's 5-7 as a starter this year, and 10-27 over his entire career.

bobblehead
01-05-2024, 01:46 PM

I watched him closely last couple games. He has rebuilt his body from big and soft to kinda big and more firm. I'm still not overly impressed by him though.

bobblehead
01-05-2024, 01:48 PM

But be honest. This year feels....better.

bobblehead
01-05-2024, 01:50 PM

A QBs job is to pass. His overall success is based on his ability to pass. Love is a far better passer. If it were about running then Christian Watson or a million other guys would be QBs. QBs don't win titles by running first. Love is far better at playing QB.

Joemailman
01-05-2024, 01:52 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Game statuses for Sunday:

OUT: AJ Dillon, Rudy Ford

DOUBTFUL: Isaiah McDuffie

QUESTIONABLE: Elgton Jenkins, Luke Musgrave, Jayden Reed, Preston Smith, Luke Tenuta, Christian Watson, Dontayvion Wicks.

run pMc
01-05-2024, 02:00 PM
Stay healthy, Aaron Jones.

Joemailman
01-05-2024, 02:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDGuQocWYAE7TmM?format=jpg&name=large

NewsBruin
01-05-2024, 03:55 PM
A QBs job is to pass. His overall success is based on his ability to pass. Love is a far better passer. If it were about running then Christian Watson or a million other guys would be QBs. QBs don't win titles by running first. Love is far better at playing QB.

As someone in Saints-land, there's a reason why they work "packages" for Taysom Hill, to "keep the defense off-balance" but don't give him the keys when the starter goes down.

Fritz
01-05-2024, 05:14 PM
As someone in Saints-land, there's a reason why they work "packages" for Taysom Hill, to "keep the defense off-balance" but don't give him the keys when the starter goes down.

After those installs, I wonder if anyone watches him run them and says “nice package”?

I hope Preston Smith can play. He’s about the only disciplined edge rusher on the team, and with Fields out there, they’ll need that.

Fosco33
01-06-2024, 11:52 AM
A lot of people are saying this is the Bears SB and that they’ll have to extend Fields with a big contract if they win…

Me - I wouldn’t mind if they sign fields as the top qb prospects could be much better.

But facing MHJ 2x/yr would also suck.

Not gonna be an easy W… esp after blowing the same game vs the Lions last year.

Joemailman
01-06-2024, 03:43 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Packers roster moves today:

Activated off IR: TE Luke Musgrave, RB Emanuel Wilson

Elevated from the practice squad: WR Grant DuBose

Placed on IR: S Rudy Ford

Released: CB David Long Jr.

George Cumby
01-06-2024, 05:22 PM
Another thing that concerns me is MLF's poor track record in games of real gravity. He's laid a lot of eggs in big games.......

Bretsky
01-06-2024, 11:23 PM
Can we lose, and still realistically backdoor into the playoffs ?

Joemailman
01-06-2024, 11:30 PM
Can we lose, and still realistically backdoor into the playoffs ?

GREEN BAY PACKERS (8-8) vs. Chicago (7-9); Sunday, 4:25 p.m. ET, CBS

Green Bay clinches playoff berth with:

GB win OR
GB tie + SEA loss or tie + NO loss or tie OR
GB tie + SEA loss + TB loss OR
GB tie + SEA tie + TB loss or tie OR
MIN loss or tie + SEA loss + TB loss OR
MIN loss or tie + SEA loss + NO loss