PDA

View Full Version : 2024 Black Monday Thread

George Cumby
01-07-2024, 08:48 PM
Gonna' be a blood bath this year, I think.

Joemailman
01-07-2024, 11:14 PM
Report is that Arthur Smith is out in Atlanta.

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2024, 11:15 PM
Drama queen Harbaugh will flirt but end up back at UM. Where's there a better job? Maybe Atlanta but no way am I taking the Chargers gig omg.

Fritz
01-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Drama queen Harbaugh will flirt but end up back at UM. Where's there a better job? Maybe Atlanta but no way am I taking the Chargers gig omg.

Please no. I can't stand Harbaugh's "poor me the victim" routine after he (regularly) gets busted for violating the rules. That whole "us against everybody" crap just drives me up a wall. Eff you Harbaugh. I know college football is just a big money machine any more, which it mostly always was, but let's drop the pretense that you're molding these young men into solid citizens. That's a joke.

Yup, I think Harbaugh's going to jump off the sinking ship at U of M and coach in the NFL, and let some other coach take the brunt of the punishment they'll receive for Harbaugh's sins. That would be just like him.

Is the Panthers' owner going to fire his interim guy now? Maybe throw a drink on him on the way out. There must be some unspoken NFL rule that the NFL must have at least one douchebag owner, and since Snyder's gone, this guy has taken on the mantle.

Joemailman
01-08-2024, 07:26 AM
So far this year:

Atlanta Falcons: Fired head coach Arthur Smith January 8.

Carolina Panthers: Fired head coach Frank Reich November 27. Named Chris Tabor as interim head coach.

Las Vegas Raiders: Fired head coach Josh McDaniels and General Manager Dave Ziegler on October 31. Named Antonio Pierce as interim head coach and Champ Kelly as interim G.M.

Los Angeles Chargers: Fired head coach Brandon Staley and General Manager Tom Telesco on December 15. Named Giff Smith as interim head coach and JoJo Wooden as interim G.M.

Joemailman
01-08-2024, 07:31 AM
Ron Rivera out at Washington. He could be in demand as a DC candidate.

In a sweeping overhaul of the franchise's football leadership that started with the dismissal of coach Ron Rivera on Monday morning, Washington Commanders owner Josh Harris has hired two prominent executives - ex-Golden State Warriors general manager Bob Myers and ex-Minnesota Vikings GM Rick Spielman -- to assist his ownership group with searches for a new head of football operations and a head coach, franchise officials told ESPN.

Sparkey
01-08-2024, 08:18 AM
Scott Fitterer out as GM of Panthers.

Fritz
01-08-2024, 03:07 PM
Scott Fitterer out as GM of Panthers.

Wink Martindale OUT as both host of Tic Tac Dough AND Giants' defensive coordinator.

He could garner interest from both Jeopardy and the Green Bay Packers.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.2MoEgtArbVtLgVQZP0YURgHaFj?w=248&h=186&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.7

bobblehead
01-08-2024, 03:11 PM

If the Chargers were still in SD I'd coach them for housing allowance. In LA...yea, garbage.

Joemailman
01-08-2024, 09:45 PM
Quiet day. So HC vacancies are:

Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas
LA Chargers
Washington

Still to hear about New England.

Vincenzo
01-09-2024, 11:46 AM
Wow, Mike Vrabel out of Tennessee ….maybe he’ll be the next Patriots Head Coach

Joemailman
01-09-2024, 12:13 PM
Wow, Mike Vrabel out of Tennessee ….maybe he’ll be the next Patriots Head Coach

Or maybe Belichick stays and Vrabel joins him there. Vrabel had 4 winning seasons followed by 2 losing seasons. NFL is very unforgiving.

Joemailman
01-09-2024, 12:14 PM
Quiet day. So HC vacancies are:

Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas
LA Chargers
Washington
Tennessee

Anew addition.

run pMc
01-09-2024, 01:12 PM
Or maybe Belichick stays and Vrabel joins him there. Vrabel had 4 winning seasons followed by 2 losing seasons. NFL is very unforgiving.

A little surprised Vrabel is gone, but it's tough to survive two losing seasons as a HC in the NFL.
He'll land somewhere as a DC if he wants to and be back in HC consideration soon enough.

call_me_ishmael
01-09-2024, 01:46 PM
I think Vrabel wanted out, that was the rumor anyway. If the choice is Jerrod Mayo (unproven) or Mike Vrabel (proven) I'd go MV in a heartbeat.

bobblehead
01-09-2024, 03:03 PM
I'm a little disheartened this morning. The packers are going to be the last team standing and its possible all the good DC candidates will have jobs before we are done winning the Owl.

texaspackerbacker
01-09-2024, 05:25 PM
More sarcasm? If in fact we are the "last team standing", it likely will be at the painful cost of retaining Joe Barry. Beyond that, though, on the chance that Barry is gone, yeah, maybe all the oldies like Martindale etc. will be gone, but what we we would be a lot better off with IMO is a young innovative energetic DC. Also IMO, we should have a DC who shakes things up and changes the system. That, however, likely ain't gonna happen because LaFleur apparently likes the system currently in place.

Bretsky
01-09-2024, 05:28 PM
I'm a little disheartened this morning. The packers are going to be the last team standing and its possible all the good DC candidates will have jobs before we are done winning the Owl.

On Wilde and Tausch (and they detest Barry) they declared Joe Barry as one of the big winners in the past two weeks and noted he's made a ton of adjustments and is AGAIN making his last season surge to keep his job

It's what y'll wanted :))

Joemailman
01-09-2024, 07:30 PM
On Wilde and Tausch (and they detest Barry) they declared Joe Barry as one of the big winners in the past two weeks and noted he's made a ton of adjustments and is AGAIN making his last season surge to keep his job

MLF said after the Tampa Bay game that he needed to spend more time with the defense. So there might be some question as to whether the changes are primarily Barry's idea or MLF's.

bobblehead
01-09-2024, 08:39 PM
More sarcasm? If in fact we are the "last team standing", it likely will be at the painful cost of retaining Joe Barry. Beyond that, though, on the chance that Barry is gone, yeah, maybe all the oldies like Martindale etc. will be gone, but what we we would be a lot better off with IMO is a young innovative energetic DC. Also IMO, we should have a DC who shakes things up and changes the system. That, however, likely ain't gonna happen because LaFleur apparently likes the system currently in place.

Some sarcasm. Some desperate hope. Some light hearted humor. Take from it whatever makes you smile.

bobblehead
01-09-2024, 08:41 PM

At least in this game we were playing more man and letting our athletes be athletes. We also ran a couple DL stunts which I haven't noticed all year. If it was 2 weeks running and I didn't notice I blame alcohol.....and weed.....and shrooms. Ok, maybe a bump or 2 of coke as well....Just a rail though. I'm not a junkie after all.

Joemailman
01-10-2024, 10:53 AM
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

The #Bears fired OC Luke Getsy and other members of the offensive staff, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

Bears keeping Eberflus but firing Getsy and his staff. Could this mean Getsy is getting the blame for Fields, and they will keep Fields? Or do they just think he couldn't do the job and won't give him a shot at Caleb Williams?

Fritz
01-10-2024, 01:18 PM
How can da Bears think Fields is their future after watching that last game? They guy just can't seem to keep his eyes downfield - he gets too caught up in what's happening right around him.

Plus, if they do keep him, they've got to re-up him, and with the QB money being as crazy as it is, you're going to be spending a HUGE amount of your salary cap for him while you draft the thirty rookies in the next two drafts that you're going to get for trading that #1 pick. And it's still a QB league. I just do not see how they can think he's "the guy" when they are positioned to pick Williams or Mayes. How often does a team get the #1 overall pick in a year there are two really, really good QB prospects?

Unless they like Penix or Nix or someone else better. Then they could trade out of that #1 spot, get a bazillion picks, and then go get whichever QB they like.

On top of that, then your QB is on a rookie contract for five years.

call_me_ishmael
01-10-2024, 01:56 PM
The Bears will almost certainly take Caleb Williams because noboddy is getting fired for taking him, and there's a good chance that if Fields doesn't work out they are getting fired. Administration has 1-2 year guaranteed with Fields, they have 3-4 with Williams. The answer is obvious IMO.

Joemailman
01-10-2024, 02:06 PM
I agree that the logical thing is to get rid of Fields and draft Caleb Williams. But don't ever underestimate the ability of the Bears to make the wrong decision at quarterback.

Joemailman
01-10-2024, 02:30 PM
Wow! Did anyone see this coming?

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

Bombshell: Pete Carroll is out as #Seahawks coach, per sources.

ThunderDan
01-10-2024, 02:46 PM
How can da Bears think Fields is their future after watching that last game? They guy just can't seem to keep his eyes downfield - he gets too caught up in what's happening right around him.

Plus, if they do keep him, they've got to re-up him, and with the QB money being as crazy as it is, you're going to be spending a HUGE amount of your salary cap for him while you draft the thirty rookies in the next two drafts that you're going to get for trading that #1 pick. And it's still a QB league. I just do not see how they can think he's "the guy" when they are positioned to pick Williams or Mayes. How often does a team get the #1 overall pick in a year there are two really, really good QB prospects?

Unless they like Penix or Nix or someone else better. Then they could trade out of that #1 spot, get a bazillion picks, and then go get whichever QB they like.

On top of that, then your QB is on a rookie contract for five years.

Rich Gannon was talking about this on NFL radio today.

His solution was draft Williams, let him sit for a year behind Fields. If Fields plays well in 24, you trade Williams for picks. If Fields plays like he usually does, you let Fields walk and hope someone else offers him a nice contract and get a comp pick.

Rich also stated that CHI is way behind all of the NFC N starters at QB if Cousins comes back fro the Vikings.

Joemailman
01-10-2024, 02:51 PM
Vacancies growing:

Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas
LA Chargers
Washington
Tennessee
Seattle

George Cumby
01-10-2024, 03:01 PM
Rich Gannon was talking about this on NFL radio today.

His solution was draft Williams, let him sit for a year behind Fields. If Fields plays well in 24, you trade Williams for picks. If Fields plays like he usually does, you let Fields walk and hope someone else offers him a nice contract and get a comp pick.

Rich also stated that CHI is way behind all of the NFC N starters at QB if Cousins comes back fro the Vikings.

This totally makes sense, so be ready for the Bears to do something totally irrational.

George Cumby
01-10-2024, 03:05 PM

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

Staying on in an advisory role. Interesting.

call_me_ishmael
01-10-2024, 03:16 PM
I wonder if it's age related? The 'hawks overachieved last year and maybe underachieved a bit this year. Tough division.

Maybe they are getting that dude from Tennessee. Low key also think Seattle is a great spot for Fields too.

Joemailman
01-10-2024, 03:41 PM
I wonder if it's age related? The 'hawks overachieved last year and maybe underachieved a bit this year. Tough division.

Maybe they are getting that dude from Tennessee. Low key also think Seattle is a great spot for Fields too.

A lot of people think Dan Quinn will be going back to Seattle.

bobblehead
01-10-2024, 05:21 PM

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

Just saw it, the reason I stopped in. I hadn't even heard a whisper about him being removed.

Vincenzo
01-10-2024, 09:04 PM

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

Wow, this one comes as a surprise.

MadtownPacker
01-10-2024, 10:34 PM

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

Ding dong the witch is dead!

call_me_ishmael
01-10-2024, 11:27 PM
Pete Carroll's retirement press conference was awesome. More teams should give an exiting coach a presser. It feels like the Packers really did McCarthy dirty a few years back. Pete Carroll seems like a genuinely good person. One of the few dudes to win a SB and an NCAA.

texaspackerbacker
01-10-2024, 11:54 PM
Pete Carroll was a damn cheat. He fled USC after getting them banned from bowls for a few years. He was a piece of shit with Seattle also. Good riddance.

Fritz
01-11-2024, 05:38 AM
I’m with Tex on this one. Pete Carroll cheated at USC and just before the university was about to get nailed, the rat jumped off the ship so he wouldn’t have to coach through the sanctions the NCAA dropped on the program.

He’s probably a role model for Jim Harbaugh.

Vincenzo
01-11-2024, 07:11 AM
It’s official, Bill Belichick out of New England.

Presser at Noon. Everyone is wondering if Bill will show any emotion - I doubt it.

Joemailman
01-11-2024, 07:59 AM
Vacancies growing:

Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas
LA Chargers
Washington
Tennessee
Seattle
New England.

Is this the most ever at one time?

George Cumby
01-11-2024, 09:18 AM
I’m with Tex on this one. Pete Carroll cheated at USC and just before the university was about to get nailed, the rat jumped off the ship so he wouldn’t have to coach through the sanctions the NCAA dropped on the program.

He’s probably a role model for Jim Harbaugh.

+1

Carroll is a shit human being.

George Cumby
01-11-2024, 09:21 AM
It’s official, Bill Belichick out of New England.

Presser at Noon. Everyone is wondering if Bill will show any emotion - I doubt it.

Woooooooooo!

PFT has all sorts of juicy speculation.

Belichick to the Cowboys if the Pack beats them this weekend?!

Saucy!

bobblehead
01-11-2024, 11:10 AM
Pete Carroll's retirement press conference was awesome. More teams should give an exiting coach a presser. It feels like the Packers really did McCarthy dirty a few years back. Pete Carroll seems like a genuinely good person. One of the few dudes to win a SB and an NCAA.

Pete is staying with the team, that is why he got a presser. The packers did McCarthy just fine. He was done. You feel he was done wrong because whined and cried that he was done wrong when he should have owned up to his failures and given a classy good bye like Pete did.

bobblehead
01-11-2024, 11:12 AM
Woooooooooo!

PFT has all sorts of juicy speculation.

Belichick to the Cowboys if the Pack beats them this weekend?!

Saucy!

Jerry would never do Fat mike dirty like the Packers did!!

(sarcasm tex...and a bit of humor).

run pMc
01-11-2024, 12:55 PM
I heard Pete Carroll was retiring from coaching because he's 70, and taking on an advisory role with the Seahawks... so, not fired.

Belichick was a mild surprise. Based on the more recent rumblings, there was a chance he'd stay if he gave up the GM duties, and it sounded like he was open to it. BB is pretty old too and after 20 some years with NE probably is ready to be done. He'll be a first ballot HOF no matter what grudges anyone in the press might have with him.

Nick Saban retiring from Alabama was a bit of a surprise, but I think he's done too. When you're worshipped as a CFB HC no need for the NFL grind.

I have heard that a lot of CFB coaches are absolutely fed up with the NIL and the transfer portal stuff, so maybe some younger CFB coaches try to break into the NFL.

How many job openings were there last year? I can only think of DEN, CAR, IND ,HOU, and ARI (or was ARI the year before?), so it's a few more job openings than last year.

RashanGary
01-11-2024, 03:14 PM
Saban has been wining about the new rules for two years. He knows his teams are done. He can’t recruit everyone to the SEC powerhouse where they get their best chance at NFL aspirations anymore. Now the kids get money and he can’t compete without his advantage he had.

Fritz
01-11-2024, 05:07 PM
Honestly, at this point, anyone who hires Belichick is a fool going after fool's gold.

He's more used up than a $50 hooker.

If you hire him, you're not hiring talent and expertise and creativity. You're hiring the name. And that's all that's left.

Unless you give him a HOF QB - and even then, I dunno. Though he did prove that a QB can "make" a coach.

Joemailman
01-11-2024, 11:52 PM
Honestly, at this point, anyone who hires Belichick is a fool going after fool's gold.

He's more used up than a $50 hooker.

If you hire him, you're not hiring talent and expertise and creativity. You're hiring the name. And that's all that's left.

Unless you give him a HOF QB - and even then, I dunno. Though he did prove that a QB can "make" a coach.

The thing with Belichick was he was a bad GM. It caught up with NE once Brady was gone. Anyone hiring him needs to have a strong GM who will not have to defer to Belichick on player personnel matters.

Fritz
01-12-2024, 05:52 AM
The thing with Belichick was he was a bad GM. It caught up with NE once Brady was gone. Anyone hiring him needs to have a strong GM who will not have to defer to Belichick on player personnel matters.

True. I loved it when Detroit went all-in on “the New England Way” a few years back with both their coach AND GM.

Joemailman
01-12-2024, 07:40 AM
Patriots hire LB coach Jerrod Mayo as HC.

Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas
LA Chargers
Washington
Tennessee
Seattle
New England Jerod Mayo

Fritz
01-12-2024, 08:14 AM
Patriots hire LB coach Jerrod Mayo as HC.

Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas
LA Chargers
Washington
Tennessee
Seattle
New England Jerrod Mayo

When Jerod Mayo was a linebacker, did offensive linemen often hold the mayo?

Boy, Kraft sure knew what he wanted. Belichik's seat was still warm when Mayo sat down in it.

Joemailman
01-12-2024, 08:37 AM

Boy, Kraft sure knew what he wanted. Belichik's seat was still warm when Mayo sat down in it.

There are reports that NE adjusted Mayo contract recently that had a succession clause if/when BB stepped down.

run pMc
01-12-2024, 09:41 AM
Mayo was considered a future HC candidate in previous years, I'm not surprised.
I also expect that NE wasn't going to let BB go without having someone in mind to replace him quickly.

Patler
01-12-2024, 10:21 AM

Kraft-Mayo, seems right.https://i5.walmartimages.com/seo/Kraft-Real-Mayo-Creamy-Smooth-Mayonnaise-15-fl-oz-Jar_83765fa7-cc1b-4b3e-90a7-1ed8f914af17.1d8f3aed2fe2f43bd7e00e2f286c2804.jpeg ?odnHeight=640&odnWidth=640&odnBg=FFFFFF

bobblehead
01-12-2024, 12:07 PM
I heard Pete Carroll was retiring from coaching because he's 70, and taking on an advisory role with the Seahawks... so, not fired.

Belichick was a mild surprise. Based on the more recent rumblings, there was a chance he'd stay if he gave up the GM duties, and it sounded like he was open to it. BB is pretty old too and after 20 some years with NE probably is ready to be done. He'll be a first ballot HOF no matter what grudges anyone in the press might have with him.

Nick Saban retiring from Alabama was a bit of a surprise, but I think he's done too. When you're worshipped as a CFB HC no need for the NFL grind.

I have heard that a lot of CFB coaches are absolutely fed up with the NIL and the transfer portal stuff, so maybe some younger CFB coaches try to break into the NFL.

How many job openings were there last year? I can only think of DEN, CAR, IND ,HOU, and ARI (or was ARI the year before?), so it's a few more job openings than last year.

Pete was very clear that his first choice was to continue coaching, but the team "asked nicely" for him to step down into his new role. He was fired.

Joemailman
01-13-2024, 11:36 AM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

From @NFLGameDay: The Jim Harbaugh sweepstakes are heating up, as he's set to meet with the #Chargers. Meanwhile, Maxx Crosby could request a trade if the #Raiders don't hire Antonio Pierce.

Joemailman
01-17-2024, 07:11 PM
Cowboys are keeping Mike McCarthy. No real surprise here, despite the speculation. Jerry Jones doesn't like firing his head coaches.

Fritz
01-18-2024, 05:59 AM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

From @NFLGameDay: The Jim Harbaugh sweepstakes are heating up, as he's set to meet with the #Chargers. Meanwhile, Maxx Crosby could request a trade if the #Raiders don't hire Antonio Pierce.

Wow. Maxx is getting into Aaron Rodgers territory here, wanting approval of the hiring of coaches. I know it wasn't that direct in Rodgers's case, but the Jest basically hired a publicly Rodgers-approved offensive coordinator, and of course, got his home boys signed, too. So about the same thing. That's wild.

As for Harbaugh, he can't be gone from U of M fast enough for my taste. And he most likely will be, no matter what contract U of M comes up with. Harbaugh doesn't want to have to suffer the punishments coming for the crap he pulled, over and over. That's my guess.

Beyond that, this whole "Ooooh oooh oooh I'm the victim and we have to play with a chip on our shoulder because everybody hates us even though we're just innocent bystanders" schtick sickens me.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-18-2024, 09:17 AM
Wow. Maxx is getting into Aaron Rodgers territory here, wanting approval of the hiring of coaches. I know it wasn't that direct in Rodgers's case, but the Jest basically hired a publicly Rodgers-approved offensive coordinator, and of course, got his home boys signed, too. So about the same thing. That's wild.

As for Harbaugh, he can't be gone from U of M fast enough for my taste. And he most likely will be, no matter what contract U of M comes up with. Harbaugh doesn't want to have to suffer the punishments coming for the crap he pulled, over and over. That's my guess.

Beyond that, this whole "Ooooh oooh oooh I'm the victim and we have to play with a chip on our shoulder because everybody hates us even though we're just innocent bystanders" schtick sickens me.

Michigan just won the National Title, and you want Harbaugh gone?

At Tex’s alma mater, they built a statue for a fat coach who couldn’t recruit QBs worth a fuck.

texaspackerbacker
01-18-2024, 10:03 AM
Are you knocking Barry Alvarez? He (actually Pat Richter who hired him) turned around Wisconsin football from decades of rottenness to over three decades now and continuing of a high level. And arguably he has done the same for basketball with the coaches he hired. He damn well should have a statue.

ThunderDan
01-18-2024, 10:45 AM
Are you knocking Barry Alvarez? He (actually Pat Richter who hired him) turned around Wisconsin football from decades of rottenness to over three decades now and continuing of a high level. And arguably he has done the same for basketball with the coaches he hired. He damn well should have a statue.

You should thank my father and his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire.

Pat was highly thought of and wanted as the AD at UW. But Pat didn't want the job initially. Donna played him off, saying the job was probably too big for him. I think that challenge made Pat change his mind and accept the job to prove that he could do it.

run pMc
01-18-2024, 01:08 PM
Richter and Alverez changed the course of UW athletics and the influence is still felt.

I remember the Dan Morton years, they were not good. A Rose Bowl appearance was almost unthinkable back then for UW football fans, Barry got them there a couple of times, and was able to recruit a lot of talent that moved on to the NFL. Just because it wasn't a QB factory doesn't mean they were no good. It's not what it was, but UW still has a very good rep for OL and RB.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-18-2024, 01:22 PM

Alvarez is overrated.

How many National Title has he won? Granted, without a fair playoffs system, National Champs is kinda phony. But Wisconsin was never a consistent National Title contender under Alvarez.

Fat Barry’s inability to recruit hotshot QBs played a large role in Wisconsin’s failure to win a National Title. Hell, Alvarez’s legacy is supposedly getting Wisconsin out of football hell, and the program still can’t recruit hotshot QBs.

I guess with all the frogskins from playing in Rose Bowls/Brazzers Dot Com Bowls - not National Title games - Wisconsin affording to commission a statue of Fat Barry ain’t a problem.

bobblehead
01-18-2024, 01:25 PM
You should thank my father and his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire.

Pat was highly thought of and wanted as the AD at UW. But Pat didn't want the job initially. Donna played him off, saying the job was probably too big for him. I think that challenge made Pat change his mind and accept the job to prove that he could do it.

Donna Shalala is your father? That does explain some things to be honest.

bobblehead
01-18-2024, 01:28 PM
Cowboys are keeping Mike McCarthy. No real surprise here, despite the speculation. Jerry Jones doesn't like firing his head coaches.

He's no Steinbrenner.

ThunderDan
01-18-2024, 01:39 PM
Donna Shalala is your father? That does explain some things to be honest.

Try reading the sentence again.

bobblehead
01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Try reading the sentence again.

Its a joke Dan. Try saying "You should thank my father as well as his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire."

ThunderDan
01-18-2024, 01:47 PM
Its a joke Dan. Try saying "You should thank my father as well as his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire."

Actually not, that would mean my father was more important than Donna Shalala in the hiring process.

Notice that the phrase ‘ as well as’ is not equivalent to ‘ and’ because ‘ and’ connects two components of equal importance while as well as focuses more on one of the elements. A s well as may be termed as similar to the correlative ‘ not only…but also’, however, the emphasis is put on the component that comes before as well as.

KYPack
01-18-2024, 11:51 PM
Alvarez is overrated.

How many National Title has he won? Granted, without a fair playoffs system, National Champs is kinda phony. But Wisconsin was never a consistent National Title contender under Alvarez.

Fat Barry’s inability to recruit hotshot QBs played a large role in Wisconsin’s failure to win a National Title. Hell, Alvarez’s legacy is supposedly getting Wisconsin out of football hell, and the program still can’t recruit hotshot QBs.

I guess with all the frogskins from playing in Rose Bowls/Brazzers Dot Com Bowls - not National Title games - Wisconsin affording to commission a statue of Fat Barry ain’t a problem.

Tank used to post his bullshit story that Barry Alvarez wouldn't sign him to UW bc Tank had a black girlfriend! A month or so ago, he posted that the Black girls in HS wouldn't talk to him bc he (Tank) wasn't Black. That ain't why they wouldn't chat, it was bc you are a goof.

Tank also claimed on Sportsbubbler that he was a HS phenom who ran a 4.39 40. A guy who recruited Wisconsin for college chimed in that Nobody in that area ran a swift 40 like that. Maybe Tank did do it, he's a Nobody!

George Cumby
01-19-2024, 03:58 PM
Alvarez over-rated.

Today's Shit Take.

Joemailman
01-19-2024, 05:45 PM
Raiders finalizing deal to hire Antonio Pierce as head coach.

Joemailman
01-19-2024, 05:49 PM
Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
LA Chargers
Washington
Tennessee
Seattle
New England Jerod Mayo

NewsBruin
01-19-2024, 06:12 PM
Tank used to post his bullshit story that Barry Alvarez wouldn't sign him to UW bc Tank had a black girlfriend! A month or so ago, he posted that the Black girls in HS wouldn't talk to him bc he (Tank) wasn't Black. That ain't why they wouldn't chat, it was bc you are a goof.

Tank also claimed on Sportsbubbler that he was a HS phenom who ran a 4.39 40. A guy who recruited Wisconsin for college chimed in that Nobody in that area ran a swift 40 like that. Maybe Tank did do it, he's a Nobody!

Maybe in sandals on his school's Pro Day.

Fritz
01-20-2024, 08:21 AM
Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
LA Chargers
Washington
Tennessee
Seattle
New England Jerod Mayo

Well, Maxx Crosby might be taking on some GM duties now. Didn't you post that he was going to demand a trade if the team didn't hire Pierce?

Maybe Maxxy can call up his fellow GM Aaron Rodgers, and they could work out a trade or two to get rid of guys on the team they don't like. ("No, man, I know he's an asshole; that's why I don't want him here, either. But I'll take him if you'll give me a sixth-rounder and take that asshole reserve tight end off my hands.")

bobblehead
01-20-2024, 12:54 PM
Actually not, that would mean my father was more important than Donna Shalala in the hiring process.

Notice that the phrase ‘ as well as’ is not equivalent to ‘ and’ because ‘ and’ connects two components of equal importance while as well as focuses more on one of the elements. A s well as may be termed as similar to the correlative ‘ not only…but also’, however, the emphasis is put on the component that comes before as well as.

Ok dan, you win. You take humor less well than Tex. Now try explaining how AND can't be interpreted the way I made the joke about.

ThunderDan
01-20-2024, 01:53 PM
Ok dan, you win. You take humor less well than Tex. Now try explaining how AND can't be interpreted the way I made the joke about.
Sorry, my mother was an English teacher. Can't tell you how many times I was corrected as a kid.

bobblehead
01-20-2024, 04:48 PM
Sorry, my mother was an English teacher. Can't tell you how many times I was corrected as a kid.

Funny,.,,as was mine. Which is probably why I identify things like misplaced modifiers so well. I once got an "incorrect" on a question in finance 101 in college where the professor insisted that "as much as" meant the same amount. i.e. Investor A (who ended with $990) has as much as investor B (who ended with $910). I said True. He insisted it was false. So I asked him. So you are claiming that you are NOT as tall as me (he was 6'6"). He eventually gave me credit because I had done the math in the margins and knew exactly what each investor had, but never would agree that the term "as much as" would include someone who had more. i.e. Brad Pitt has as much hair as I do. (he does...and then some to spare).

Joemailman
01-23-2024, 06:41 PM
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

The #Titans plan to hire #Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan as their head coach, per sources.

Callahan had a second interview today and Tennessee isn’t letting him out of the building.

Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
LA Chargers
Washington
Tennessee Brian Callahan
Seattle
New England Jerod Mayo

bobblehead
01-23-2024, 08:40 PM
Down goes Adrian Griffin. I know, but nobody visits the Bucks forum.

run pMc
01-23-2024, 09:04 PM
Down goes Adrian Griffin. I know, but nobody visits the Bucks forum.

LOL Not to get Bucksy on this thread, but I'm not that surprised. I knew he was a bad hire in the first week - their defense was atrocious and general vibe was...not good.

Back to NFL - I heard Belichick has had a couple of interviews with ATL. That would be a weird hire. He must be picking his spots carefully, I'd think a lot of these owners would be courting him.

Joemailman
01-23-2024, 09:13 PM
LOL Not to get Bucksy on this thread, but I'm not that surprised. I knew he was a bad hire in the first week - their defense was atrocious and general vibe was...not good.

Back to NFL - I heard Belichick has had a couple of interviews with ATL. That would be a weird hire. He must be picking his spots carefully, I'd think a lot of these owners would be courting him.

The hang up with Belichick might be they want him as coach only.

run pMc
01-24-2024, 02:05 PM
The hang up with Belichick might be they want him as coach only.

If I were an owner, I wouldn't want him near the GM's chair. Look at his draft history. It's like when TT lost his fastball.
He should stay strictly as a coach, and they should find someone he can work with.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Hairbough’s back in the NFL with Chargings.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 09:46 PM
Atlanta
Carolina
Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
LA Chargers Jim Harbaugh
Washington
Tennessee Brian Callahan
Seattle
New England Jerod Mayo

George Cumby
01-24-2024, 10:18 PM
I've always kind of liked the Chargers since the Don Coryell days. That shoot-out with Miami in the play-offs was EPIC.

I now hate the Chargers.

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 12:16 PM
Bucs OC Dave Canales will be the new HC of Carolina.

Atlanta
Carolina Dave Canales
Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
LA Chargers Jim Harbaugh
Washington
Tennessee Brian Callahan
Seattle
New England Jerod Mayo

run pMc
01-25-2024, 01:00 PM
Bucs OC Dave Canales will be the new HC of Carolina.

Now to see what happens with Evero. If he doesn't stay in CAR and doesn't get a HC gig I'd think he'd be a top candidate for GB's DC spot.

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 01:04 PM
Now to see what happens with Evero. If he doesn't stay in CAR and doesn't get a HC gig I'd think he'd be a top candidate for GB's DC spot.

I think Carolina has already blocked teams from interviewing Evero for DC. If he doesn't get a HC job, he'll likely be staying in Carolina. Pretty sure he's under contract.

Bretsky
01-25-2024, 03:45 PM
I think Carolina has already blocked teams from interviewing Evero for DC. If he doesn't get a HC job, he'll likely be staying in Carolina. Pretty sure he's under contract.

Passed up for the HC; odds are he wants out.

I strongly believe he's the Flowers first choice. THey know each other, he's been a DC for two teams, and Flower complimented the heck out of him after the Carolina game.

WILDE wants this guy
TAUSCH wants JIMMY

And Wilde also noted, Carolina owns his rights, but they are shy draft picks so it's likely they would try to get a draft pick to let him walk. Odds are he's not free

RashanGary
01-25-2024, 03:57 PM
Rahim Morris in Atlanta

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 04:43 PM
Atlanta Raheem Morris
Carolina Dave Canales
Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
LA Chargers Jim Harbaugh
Washington
Tennessee Brian Callahan
Seattle
New England Jerod Mayo

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 06:18 PM

I strongly believe he's the Flowers first choice. THey know each other, he's been a DC for two teams, and Flower complimented the heck out of him after the Carolina game.

WILDE wants this guy
TAUSCH wants JIMMY

And Wilde also noted, Carolina owns his rights, but they are shy draft picks so it's likely they would try to get a draft pick to let him walk. Odds are he's not free

Raheem Morris getting Atlanta HC job means DC job with Rams is open. If Carolina lets him leave, Evero might want to go back there.

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 08:56 PM
Rahim Morris in Atlanta

Kind of funny that a team that has never won a Super Bowl told Bill Belichick "Sorry, you didn't get the job'"

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2024, 11:49 PM
I don't think Belichick is gonna get another job. He's 72 or smething like that. Who's starting a rebuilding project with an old man? I'll abstain from the obvious politcal jokes here so go ahead and make one or two up and laugh in your head. But seriously, I get it. I am going to have a team of 22-27 year olds - they'd much rather have a 35-45 year old coach than a grandparent.

ThunderDan
01-26-2024, 07:15 AM
I don't think Belichick is gonna get another job. He's 72 or smething like that. Who's starting a rebuilding project with an old man? I'll abstain from the obvious politcal jokes here so go ahead and make one or two up and laugh in your head. But seriously, I get it. I am going to have a team of 22-27 year olds - they'd much rather have a 35-45 year old coach than a grandparent.

I don’t think it had anything to do with age. I think it had to do with how much control Belicheat wanted in the organization.

bobblehead
01-26-2024, 12:49 PM

WILDE wants this guy
TAUSCH wants JIMMY

I'd be giddy with either one, but as stated....Carolina isn't letting him go for a lateral move.

run pMc
01-28-2024, 12:59 PM
Rumors are Ben Johnson goes to the Commanders and Dan Quinn to the Seahawks.

Also: heard Carroll was given the choice to keep his job but hire new assistant coaches or else, and he opted to quit. That's gonna win you some points for loyalty. My guess is he could get another HC gig so SEA appointed him to his new role.

Joemailman
01-29-2024, 06:39 AM
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

: A busy 48 hours ahead for #Lions OC Ben Johnson and #Ravens DC Mike Macdonald, who are scheduled to interview for both remaining head coaching vacancies.
@nflnetwork

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

Because of the Championship Sunday results, the #Commanders and #Seahawks can hire Ben Johnson, Aaron Glenn, Anthony Weaver and Mike Macdonald is they so choose.

A coaching carousel set to end before the Super Bowl.

What happens with Mike MacDonald in Baltimore could impact Packers if they plan to interview Anthony Weaver or Chris Hewitt.

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 12:04 PM
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

#Lions OC Ben Johnson informed the #Seahawks and #Commanders that he’s staying in Detroit, per sources.

Johnson is still only 37 and will be a hot head coaching candidate again next year. But first, he wants to take another shot at bringing a Lombardi Trophy to Detroit.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2024, 12:10 PM
That one is surprising. I would think Seattle would be a pretty good job. Although - won't they go up for sale due to Paul Allen's will or something like that? In that case, maybe not.

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 12:36 PM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Ben Johnson was not the head-coaching lock that people thought and his asking price spooked some teams, per sources.

Teamcheez1
01-30-2024, 02:22 PM
Rumor has it that Johnson wanted $15M a year to be a head coach. No wonder teams moved off of him.

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 12:27 PM
Seahawks Mike McDonald

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 12:28 PM
I actually think the Seahawks are a good job. Ted Thompson put his fingerprint on the scouting staff and they seem to always find good talent. They need a QB, but there are ways.

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 01:16 PM
Seahawks Mike McDonald

MacDonald

Raheem Morris
Carolina Dave Canales
Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
LA Chargers Jim Harbaugh
Washington
Tennessee Brian Callahan
Seattle Mike MacDonald
New England Jerod Mayo

Joemailman
02-01-2024, 10:50 AM
Dan Quinn to Washington

Atlanta Raheem Morris
Carolina Dave Canales
Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
LA Chargers Jim Harbaugh
Washington Dan Quinn
Tennessee Brian Callahan
Seattle Mike MacDonald
New England Jerod Mayo

run pMc
02-04-2024, 12:50 PM
Rumor has it that Johnson wanted $15M a year to be a head coach. No wonder teams moved off of him.

Yikes. That's a lot for a 1st time HC.

Fritz
02-04-2024, 12:54 PM
Supposedly he came back to Detroit because he wanted to win a ring here - that "unfinished business" stuff. I wonder, myself, if he thinks he's not ready to be a head coach yet, and wants another year. Or wanted a future franchise QB in place wherever he went.

Wow. Eight new head coaches. That's a quarter of the league.

run pMc
02-05-2024, 01:10 PM
I wonder, myself, if he thinks he's not ready to be a head coach yet, and wants another year. Or wanted a future franchise QB in place wherever he went.

I think he wanted a big bag of money and control and owners were shy of risking that on a bright guy with no HC experience.
I also suspect he saw what job openings remained and didn't like them.

Between those two things he can spin it as he wanted a ring -- it would be his best chance at one in the short term, anyway. He still has the OC job, so he had nothing to lose by kicking the tires on HC openings.
Personally, this is good for DET and bad for the rest of the NFCN. I think he's a really good OC. No idea if he can be a HC though... a lot of guys get over their skis and stink as a HC, or they are good but it's masked by having a garbage roster and impatient owner.

Joemailman
02-14-2024, 03:15 PM
The San Francisco 49ers have fired defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, coach Kyle Shanahan announced Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Shanahan said he expected his coaching staff to stay largely intact but that conversations still had to take place in the coming weeks.

The 49ers hired Wilks before last season when DeMeco Ryans was hired by the Houston Texans as their head coach.

Shanahan told reporters that Wilks "just ended up being not the right fit."

Didn't see this coming.

run pMc
02-14-2024, 05:04 PM
Didn't see this coming.

A bit surprising, but the defense took a step back from when Saleh and Ryans ran it. Also, he's the obvious fall guy for losing the SB to KC.
Shanahan and Co. got outcoached and outplayed in the 2nd half of the SB, and Shanny can't fire himself.

Is he a better DC than Barry? Probably. Someone will give him a shot.
A little weird to do, and bad timing since most of the best DC candidates are probably gone.

Frozen Tundra
02-14-2024, 05:55 PM
A bit surprising, but the defense took a step back from when Saleh and Ryans ran it. Also, he's the obvious fall guy for losing the SB to KC.
Shanahan and Co. got outcoached and outplayed in the 2nd half of the SB, and Shanny can't fire himself.

Is he a better DC than Barry? Probably. Someone will give him a shot.
A little weird to do, and bad timing since most of the best DC candidates are probably gone.

Might be a couple of teams who hired DCs over the last few weeks and are now wishing maybe they'd waited a minute or two. It's prettty unusual to see a coordinator fired from a Super Bowl team.

Fritz
02-14-2024, 05:58 PM
Don't know what to make of this one. The SF defense was not as dominating as it has been in the past, but is that the DC or are the players getting long in the tooth, or is it just the changing roster? I don't follow them enough to know.

Tough spot for Wilkes to get a job. Everyone else looking for a DC has found one. He'll probably have to coach a position somewhere for a year. Any openings in Green Bay? Don't even know the dude's background, don't know what position group he'd coach.

Shanny's offense didn't exactly light it up in the second half, either, did it?

He's got a poopy Super Bowl record now, doesn't he?

Anti-Polar Bear
02-14-2024, 06:11 PM
Don't know what to make of this one. The SF defense was not as dominating as it has been in the past, but is that the DC or are the players getting long in the tooth, or is it just the changing roster? I don't follow them enough to know.

Tough spot for Wilkes to get a job. Everyone else looking for a DC has found one. He'll probably have to coach a position somewhere for a year. Any openings in Green Bay? Don't even know the dude's background, don't know what position group he'd coach.

69ers are paying Wilkes to go away, as coaching contracts are fully guaranteed. Should do what Kingsbury did after he got canned by the Cardinal Sins, and buy a one-way ticket to Thailand.

Frozen Tundra
02-14-2024, 08:01 PM

That'sa real interesting thought. Aside from his stints as DC and head coach, he has about 12-13 years experience I think exclusively as a defensive backs/secondary coach - for several DI andpor teams. Other than the 4 times he had to defend Rodgers as the Bears' secondary coach, I assume he's done well at those positions, because they all seemed to lead to DC and HC gigs.

bobblehead
02-15-2024, 01:58 PM

This is simply the consequence of being such a good coach you get Jimmy G and Mr. Irrelevant to the Owl.