PDA

View Full Version : Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Anti-Polar Bear
03-11-2024, 02:09 PM
RBs are not a dime a dozen, especially in the Shanahan offense. The Packers are in win now mode, and putting all your eggs in an unproven rookie behind Jones, who is incredibly fragile, would be a huge risk.

Not to that I ain’t dig the Jacobs signing - dude was on my 2019 “Mastery Mockery of a Draft.” But a long ass time ago, Packers won a Super Bowl with a rookie 6th rounder named James Starks as their featured back.

Joemailman
03-11-2024, 02:13 PM
Jones being released.

Sparkey
03-11-2024, 02:22 PM
Jones being released.

If true, the saying "the best ability is availability" is still true.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-11-2024, 02:23 PM
Jones being released.

Loyalty in the NFL (or McDonalds or Walmart or name-any-corporation) ain’t no bitch. Bitches tend to be loyal to their “masters.” NFL owners, not so much.

Loyal players are like Jones are being discarded like trash by the pig-owners when they’re old and impotent.

Sparkey
03-11-2024, 02:27 PM
Loyalty in the NFL (or McDonalds or Walmart or name-any-corporation) ain’t no bitch. Bitches tend to be loyal to their “masters.” NFL owners, not so much.

Loyal players are like Jones are being discarded like trash by the pig-owners when they’re old and impotent.

Lets all weep for poor old Aaron Jones and his $34,688,273 that he has collected from the Green Bay Packers....... :crazy:

Teamcheez1
03-11-2024, 03:10 PM
Loved Aaron Jones. Good Packer, played well when healthy.
Not his fault he signed a large contract that he most likely couldn’t earn which was evident last year. Not our fault for cutting him.

He is simply not worth north of $10M+ this upcoming year.

Joemailman
03-11-2024, 03:13 PM
Packers sign Xavier McKinney to 4 year, 68M contract. No word yet on guaranteed money.

Frozen Tundra
03-11-2024, 03:14 PM
Loved Aaron Jones. Good Packer, played well when healthy.
Not his fault he signed a large contract that he most likely couldn’t earn which was evident last year. Not our fault for cutting him.

He is simply not worth north of $10M+ this upcoming year.

And I have to give Gutekunst a lot of respect for having the balls to pull the plug.

Watch out, NFL. Packers are serious this year.

King Friday
03-11-2024, 03:17 PM
Jacobs will need to be close to the 2022 Jacobs for this move to pan out now. Interesting to see what contending team is willing to pay Jones a lot of cash. Can’t see him playing for the Panthers.

Teamcheez1
03-11-2024, 03:25 PM
I’m certain we’ll be drafting one or more RB’s. Packers want at least one veteran at the position. Makes sense.

pittstang5
03-11-2024, 03:29 PM
I’m certain we’ll be drafting one or more RB’s. Packers want at least one veteran at the position. Makes sense.

I agree and I'm thinking it's a high pick - Round 2 or 3.

Frozen Tundra
03-11-2024, 03:59 PM
Remember a couple of months ago, when Hafley was asked to describe what kind of safety he most wanted?

"I want a guy who can erase things—we've got to eliminate explosive plays when we play this defense," said Hafley. "If a run hits up the middle, this guy has got to come out of the middle of the field with his hair on fire and has got to be able to get a guy down."

"I think that position has to be a guy with high ball production, meaning he's got be able to intercept the ball."

Apparently Daddy Gutekunst heard you, coach.

run pMc
03-11-2024, 04:00 PM
RBs are not a dime a dozen, especially in the Shanahan offense. The Packers are in win now mode, and putting all your eggs in an unproven rookie behind Jones, who is incredibly fragile, would be a huge risk.

Disagree. Both Shanahans have been able to do just fine with who dats at RB. Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis, Gary Anderson, Philip Linsley, etc. in Denver. At SF - Elijah Mitchell has been fine for them. Jeff Wilson, Raheem Mostert, etc have done fine in SF. McCaffrey takes their offense to a different level, but he'd do that anywhere. Not saying the RB doesn't matter, but if they are a fit for the offense they will do fine without being a star.

I'd also say they aren't in win-now mode - their window really opens in 2025. Winning last season speeds up the expectations, but they still have cap hits to unwind and they have a LOT of young players. This isn't like the 2021-22 run it back teams...those were Win-Now because they had a lot of older guys and pushed contract money out.

run pMc
03-11-2024, 04:04 PM
Lets all weep for poor old Aaron Jones and his $34,688,273 that he has collected from the Green Bay Packers....... :crazy:

I don't weep, certainly not for this reason. He was a class act and a dynamic player for the team. Also a role model for those young players on offense. That has value and will be missed.

I don't think swapping Jacobs for Jones is that great of a trade off. Here's hoping Jacobs can rediscover his 2022 magic. He's had more carries in less pro seasons than Jones, and this last year didn't look good. Hard to tell with the Raiders because the McDaniels/QB situation was bad.
Not a big fan of signing a RB in FA, especially one with wear and tear coming off a down year to a $48M deal.

sharpe1027
03-11-2024, 04:07 PM
Packers sign Xavier McKinney to 4 year, 68M contract. No word yet on guaranteed money.

Wow. They have invested a lot in this defense from both free agency and draft picks.

run pMc
03-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Apparently the Jacobs deal has $12M guaranteed, so I bet it's really more like a 2 year deal.

Teamcheez1
03-11-2024, 04:12 PM
Disagree. Both Shanahans have been able to do just fine with who dats at RB. Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis, Gary Anderson, Philip Linsley, etc. in Denver. At SF - Elijah Mitchell has been fine for them. Jeff Wilson, Raheem Mostert, etc have done fine in SF. McCaffrey takes their offense to a different level, but he'd do that anywhere. Not saying the RB doesn't matter, but if they are a fit for the offense they will do fine without being a star.

I'd also say they aren't in win-now mode - their window really opens in 2025. Winning last season speeds up the expectations, but they still have cap hits to unwind and they have a LOT of young players. This isn't like the 2021-22 run it back teams...those were Win-Now because they had a lot of older guys and pushed contract money out.

Those were not just run-of-the-mill RB’s in their prime. TD is in the Hall of Fame.

sharpe1027
03-11-2024, 04:16 PM
I'm good with the Jones-Jacobs move if only because we can't be sure we have a quality backup. Jones has needed to split carries so we need a solid #2. Jacobs is used to taking all the carries.

Fosco33
03-11-2024, 04:37 PM
Kinda interesting as Jacobs is a few years younger but basically got the same deal Jones signed 3 years ago.

For Jacob’s it’s 1 year and then 3 packers option years. So more optionality than signing AJ to a big extension or just keeping him for year.

Interesting - Jones saved our ass at the end of the year and was a good packer.

Sparkey
03-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Kinda interesting as Jacobs is a few years younger but basically got the same deal Jones signed 3 years ago.

For Jacob’s it’s 1 year and then 3 packers option years. So more optionality than signing AJ to a big extension or just keeping him for year.

Interesting - Jones saved our ass at the end of the year and was a good packer.

Jones is a dynamic, natural runner. Hope he finds a team to give him one more big payday, but I would guess a shorter deal averaging 4 million with some incentives is the best he will do. Really hard to ignore his age and how history treats rb's at that age.

Teamcheez1
03-11-2024, 05:18 PM

Those were not just run-of-the-mill RB’s in their prime. TD is in the Hall of Fame.

Teamcheez1
03-11-2024, 05:28 PM
I like the Packers strategy in free agency. A veteran RB and safety could pair very well with some new blood in the draft.

Joemailman
03-11-2024, 05:30 PM
Jones is a dynamic, natural runner. Hope he finds a team to give him one more big payday, but I would guess a shorter deal averaging 4 million with some incentives is the best he will do. Really hard to ignore his age and how history treats rb's at that age.

If that's the best he can do, he might be back with the Packers.

QBME
03-11-2024, 05:35 PM
If that's the best he can do, he might be back with the Packers.

Ouch

Joemailman
03-11-2024, 05:51 PM
Andrew Brandt
@AndrewBrandt

Josh Jacobs:
Reported deal:
Four years, $48 million.
Real deal:
One year, $14.8 million, and three Packer option years.
Strong deal for one year, and then "we'll see."

Joemailman
03-11-2024, 05:58 PM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Top remaining free agents the Packers should target:

1. Aaron Jones

Upnorth
03-11-2024, 06:31 PM
So we make an massive upgrade at safety and likely sideways move at rb while getting a much younger player.

I hate feeling like we are kinda winning the off season, but dam, Mckinney is quality! And 17 million per for one of the best safeties in the league?
Does Hafley have ties to him?

Joemailman
03-11-2024, 06:38 PM
So we make an massive upgrade at safety and likely sideways move at rb while getting a much younger player.

I hate feeling like we are kinda winning the off season, but dam, Mckinney is quality! And 17 million per for one of the best safeties in the league?

He does now. But no, I don't think so. McKinney attended Alabama.

MadtownPacker
03-11-2024, 06:58 PM
Packers organization is drinking tiger blood today. Can’t wait for the season and we still have the draft!

Fritz
03-11-2024, 07:12 PM
I don't weep, certainly not for this reason. He was a class act and a dynamic player for the team. Also a role model for those young players on offense. That has value and will be missed.

I don't think swapping Jacobs for Jones is that great of a trade off. Here's hoping Jacobs can rediscover his 2022 magic. He's had more carries in less pro seasons than Jones, and this last year didn't look good. Hard to tell with the Raiders because the McDaniels/QB situation was bad.
Not a big fan of signing a RB in FA, especially one with wear and tear coming off a down year to a $48M deal.

This is the take with which I agree.

Man, it’s a cold world. Aaron Jones was class, and a real difference-maker, on and off the field.

And Jacobs got more wear and tear in terms of numbers of carries, and had a bad year last year.

Me no like.

Frozen Tundra
03-11-2024, 07:30 PM
Packers organization is drinking tiger blood today. Can’t wait for the season and we still have the draft!

There's still a lloott of free agency left, too. And quite a lot of serviceable safeties still paddling around in the pool. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we come back and reel in another, somewhat smaller one, after the feeding frenzy abates somewhat and the market becomes more stable.

pittstang5
03-11-2024, 07:35 PM

Read this part in an article:

"McKinney will reunite with a familiar face in Green Bay in the Packers passing game coordinator Derrick Ansley. He most recently served as the Los Angeles Chargers defensive coordinator in 2023, but he coached McKinney during his freshman season at Alabama (2017) as his defensive backs coach."

Sparkey
03-11-2024, 08:33 PM
This is the take with which I agree.

Man, it’s a cold world. Aaron Jones was class, and a real difference-maker, on and off the field.

And Jacobs got more wear and tear in terms of numbers of carries, and had a bad year last year.

Me no like.

To be fair: Everyone playing for McDaniels had a bad year last year. Jacobs was better after Pearce took over.

Sparkey
03-11-2024, 08:35 PM
I remember seeing an article that had a draft guy say a perfect Safety tandem would be McKinney in FA and Cooper DeJean in the draft.

Fritz
03-11-2024, 08:45 PM
It’s still a cold world, man.

texaspackerbacker
03-11-2024, 09:09 PM
Getting McKinney is big. A rookie being the top Safety, even a first rounder, would have been risky. That's a position where proven talent is needed.

Jacobs I'm hopeful about but not so sure. He had a slow 40 time, but then so did Jones. Hopefully he plays faster than his clocked speed - similar to Jones. I'm not so sure, as I said in the other thread, that Jones won't be back. If not, I hope we get a high draft pick rotational RB - Braelon Allen would be my choice. RB is generally a position where a rookie can come in and thrive.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-12-2024, 04:54 AM
Getting McKinney is big. A rookie being the top Safety, even a first rounder, would have been risky. That's a position where proven talent is needed.

Jacobs I'm hopeful about but not so sure. He had a slow 40 time, but then so did Jones. Hopefully he plays faster than his clocked speed - similar to Jones. I'm not so sure, as I said in the other thread, that Jones won't be back. If not, I hope we get a high draft pick rotational RB - Braelon Allen would be my choice. RB is generally a position where a rookie can come in and thrive.

Did you know that Jacobs is Filipino?

What’s next, the Packers are gonna sign Taylor Rapp and Pressley Harvin, trade for Younghoe Koo and draft Cooper DeJean (to play corner)? ;)

run pMc
03-12-2024, 07:52 AM
Aaron Jones is a Viking. 1 year, $7M reportedly. yuck.

run pMc
03-12-2024, 07:56 AM
Went and watched a little bit of Jacobs in 2022 and 2023. I think he's... pretty good actually. Bummed about Jones, but Jacobs is a very good back.
I still don't like paying big money to RBs in FA. (Just my personal opinion) They don't last long and usually play their best on their rookie contract. If this does end up being a one or two year rental, that's not bad. They'll still need to draft one or two RBs.

George Cumby
03-12-2024, 08:56 AM
A Raiders fan's take on Jacobs:

"Raiders fan here who wants to congratulate all of you on this signing. Whether you are for this or against this (Aaron Jones fans), I just want to say that the Packers are getting a DOG. Not only is Jacobs a team player, but he is the ultimate competitor. All he really wants to do is win, and when Jacobs is locked in, he is hands down the best running back in the league in my opinion (emphasis on running as CMC is a great pass catcher lol).

Now that you’re giving JJ a legit QB too in Jordan Love, the sky will really be the limit for ya’ll depending on health of course.

For those who don’t know, I’d describe JJ as an elusive power back. He can cut with the best of them, but if you’re in his way while he’s running full speed towards you, good luck cuz he’s definitely going to run over/through you lol, just go watch his highlights.

You will be missed in Vegas, Jacobs!"

Sparkey
03-12-2024, 10:09 AM
JOSH JACOBS:

2023 HIGHLIGHTS
https://youtu.be/HKUUFD68nGc

2022 HIGHLIGHTS
https://youtu.be/1s1LbPrL7r0

Joemailman
03-12-2024, 10:25 AM
JOSH JACOBS:

2023 HIGHLIGHTS

2022 HIGHLIGHTS

There was one play where it looked like Jaire wasn't real anxious to take Jacobs on. Jacobs sometimes runs a little high but still has good power.

George Cumby
03-12-2024, 10:57 AM
JOSH JACOBS:

2023 HIGHLIGHTS

2022 HIGHLIGHTS

"An absolute SAVAGE!" LOL

We got ourselves a HOSS.

Vision, patience, power, burst, a nasty stiff-arm and better hands than I thought.

Barring injury, we will be asking ourselves 'Aaron who?' after the season starts.

MadtownPacker
03-12-2024, 11:37 AM
Kinda has an AP build and run style. He can catch and seems fast but more important strong.

George Cumby
03-12-2024, 11:41 AM
Kinda has an AP build and run style. He can catch and seems fast but more important strong.

In those cut-ups he's always falling forward.

Frozen Tundra
03-12-2024, 11:42 AM

I saw people yesterday saying he's a downgrade from Jones in the passing game, but I watched a lot of film on his last night. And I'm not seeing that. I saw quick, sure hands, a confidence in catching the ball, good form - catching it in stride, making sure he's gathered the ball all the way in before turning upfield... his receiving game looked excellent.

texaspackerbacker
03-12-2024, 11:48 AM
Did you know that Jacobs is Filipino?

What’s next, the Packers are gonna sign Taylor Rapp and Pressley Harvin, trade for Younghoe Koo and draft Cooper DeJean (to play corner)? ;)

I did not know that. Are those others somehow Filipino too? Or half some other kind of Asian?

NewsBruin
03-12-2024, 11:49 AM
"An absolute SAVAGE!" LOL

We got ourselves a HOSS.

Vision, patience, power, burst, a nasty stiff-arm and better hands than I thought.

Barring injury, we will be asking ourselves 'Aaron who?' after the season starts.

I watched the 2023 clip, and I'm worried that 2023 Jacobs isn’t as fast/shifty/elusive as 2023 Aaron Jones. If we can keep defenses hesitant at the snap with MLF-motion, I hope that will compensate.

MadScientist
03-12-2024, 11:54 AM
Elusive with power us a good description. Not the highest of gears, but enough to get through a hole and not go down easily. Plus he has good vision for seeing the hole.

Contract is basically 2/23, with 6-10M dead cap in 26, ir they will significantly reduce the base salary at that time. It shouldn't keep us from signing the best of the young receivers.

Joemailman
03-12-2024, 12:48 PM
I watched the 2023 clip, and I'm worried that 2023 Jacobs isn’t as fast/shifty/elusive as 2023 Aaron Jones. If we can keep defenses hesitant at the snap with MLF-motion, I hope that will compensate.

He isn't as fast/shifty/elusive as Jones. He's much more of a power back. I expect the Packers to try to draft a RB with more of the attributes that Jones gave them.

SudsMcBucky
03-12-2024, 01:04 PM
He does now. But no, I don't think so. McKinney attended Alabama.

Yes, he does. Ansley was McKinney's DB coach at Alabama.

Joemailman
03-12-2024, 01:09 PM
Yes, he does. Ansley was McKinney's DB coach at Alabama.

The original question was whether Hafley has any ties to McKinney.

Joemailman
03-12-2024, 01:12 PM
Preston Smith now the only Packer over 30. Crazy that Kenny Clark about the same age as Yosh Nijman.

King Friday
03-12-2024, 01:13 PM
He isn't as fast/shifty/elusive as Jones. He's much more of a power back. I expect the Packers to try to draft a RB with more of the attributes that Jones gave them.

Best comp as a Packer fan would be Ahman Green I think. Size to be an every down back, decent out of the back field, won’t pop off many 50 yarders like Jones, but plenty of 20 yarders.

Joemailman
03-12-2024, 01:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIeRsyAWQAANk6E?format=jpg&name=small

run pMc
03-12-2024, 03:37 PM
Keisean Nixon is back. 3Y, $18M. Hope it's backloaded and not a lot of guaranteed money. Good KR, iffy slot CB.
With how the KO return rules are changing, I wonder if his value changes.

texaspackerbacker
03-12-2024, 03:59 PM
Is that kickoff rule thing sure? Or was it just being talked about?

Joemailman
03-12-2024, 04:48 PM
Is that kickoff rule thing sure? Or was it just being talked about?

It hasn't been voted on. It could come up at owners meetings March 24-27.

Fritz
03-12-2024, 04:49 PM
Run, I like Nixon in the slot a lot more than you do. I’m glad he’s back. Even so, I’m hoping my lingerie league hottie is gonna beat him out (not off) for that kick return job.

Joemailman
03-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Nixon is a good tackler, but not great in coverage. Maybe he'll be a better fit in the new defense, but I have doubts.

Fritz
03-12-2024, 05:04 PM
It was so heartening to see a Packer defensive back willing to tackle. I’m on board.

run pMc
03-12-2024, 09:05 PM
Corey Ballantine signs with GB. Running it back with the *allentines!

run pMc
03-12-2024, 09:12 PM
Nixon is a good tackler, but not great in coverage. Maybe he'll be a better fit in the new defense, but I have doubts.

I like that Nixon is absolutely fearless and plays with a good motor. I don't think he's good in coverage. His RAS breakdown shows up on tape: fast in straight line, not so agile.
https://ras.football/2020/01/05/keisean-nixon-ras/

I do think he could improve with better coaching, but I don't think you sign him and not give him competition. He's an All Pro KR, not an All Pro slot CB.

I'm fine with him coming back, although if it's 6M per year that feels pricey to me. It depends on how the money is structured; I suspect it has a team-friendly out after a year or two.
I know they now have plenty of corners - assuming Jaire and Stokes are healthy - but I wouldn't mind them drafting a guy who can play at slot CB. Younger, cheaper, more upside, etc.

texaspackerbacker
03-13-2024, 12:05 AM
It hasn't been voted on. It could come up at owners meetings March 24-27.

Thanks for the info. I bet it gets voted down.

Frozen Tundra
03-13-2024, 01:11 AM
I'm fine with him coming back, although if it's 6M per year that feels pricey to me. It depends on how the money is structured; I suspect it has a team-friendly out after a year or two.
I know they now have plenty of corners - assuming Jaire and Stokes are healthy - but I wouldn't mind them drafting a guy who can play at slot CB. Younger, cheaper, more upside, etc.

I weas shocked by that number, espcially since just minutes before I saw it I read that Washingon had agreed to 1 yr $5.2 million with Jeremy Chinn. I know they really like Nixon, but that's a lot of money for someone whose only superpower is running back kicks.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-13-2024, 01:29 AM
I weas shocked by that number, espcially since just minutes before I saw it I read that Washingon had agreed to 1 yr $5.2 million with Jeremy Chinn. I know they really like Nixon, but that's a lot of money for someone whose only superpower is running back kicks.

Nixon ain’t the best slot corner on Fuck’s green earth, but he sure as fuck ain’t the hot chick who gets picked on wherever she walks, either. In other words, Nixon ain’t anything like the last two bums who manned the slot before him - abominable Mr. Hyde and “Chicken-shit” Sullivan.

Nixon is the Rock solid as a slot man.

Btw, I ain’t sure why I’m using the word “ain’t” a lot. I ain’t from the south; ain’t Black nor redneck.

Frozen Tundra
03-13-2024, 03:16 AM
Nixon ain’t the best slot corner on Fuck’s green earth, but he sure as fuck ain’t the hot chick who gets picked on wherever she walks, either. In other words, Nixon ain’t anything like the last two bums who manned the slot before him - abominable Mr. Hyde and “Chicken-shit” Sullivan.

Nixon is the Rock solid as a slot man.

Btw, I ain’t sure why I’m using the word “ain’t” a lot. I ain’t from the south; ain’t Black nor redneck.

I "live" in the South, so you probably sense this and are subconsciously mirroring my speech patterns while replying to me.

I hope you don't hate me when you come to realize that you're suddenly addressing people as "yall".

Fosco33
03-13-2024, 07:04 AM
The most accurate flow chart ever.

https://x.com/andysuchorski/status/1767688552609911088?s=42&t=hjjUYX6zADLNRNw2JmzdGg

Fritz
03-13-2024, 07:07 AM

Don’t know that I agree with you. I heard that Washington really took it on the Chinn with that signing.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-13-2024, 08:33 AM
I "live" in the South, so you probably sense this and are subconsciously mirroring my speech patterns while replying to me.

I hope you don't hate me when you come to realize that you're suddenly addressing people as "yall".

Word.

Forgot the mention: in between Hyde and Sullivan, an aging Tramon Williams manned the slot. Despite being “past his prime,” T-Will was solid as The Rock.

Nixon’s game resembles T-Will’s moreso than Hyde and Sullivan’s.

run pMc
03-13-2024, 01:22 PM
Which would you rather have - Aaron Jones for $6M + 1M in incentives, or Keisean Nixon for $6M?
OK, I'll stop.

Nixon is a perfectly fine player to bring back and I'm happy for him but it feels like an overpay. I'd take him over Chandon Sullivan by a modest margin.

Tony Oday
03-13-2024, 02:27 PM
Which would you rather have - Aaron Jones for $6M + 1M in incentives, or Keisean Nixon for $6M?
OK, I'll stop.

Nixon is a perfectly fine player to bring back and I'm happy for him but it feels like an overpay. I'd take him over Chandon Sullivan by a modest margin.

Nixon

call_me_ishmael
03-13-2024, 03:39 PM
Arik Armstead is a must sign IMO. He is a long ass end that Niners love. How many of those homies from Oregon did they get?

Fritz
03-14-2024, 05:46 AM
I wonder if there are any other safeties or a linebacker worth signing. I’ve read that linebackers are flying off the shelf.

Frozen Tundra
03-14-2024, 06:31 AM
I wonder if there are any other safeties or a linebacker worth signing. I’ve read that linebackers are flying off the shelf.

:whaa:

Wow... that would be so cool to see!

Have to keep out of the way, though...

Joemailman
03-14-2024, 07:45 AM
Packers up to 2nd in the NFL in dead money for 2024. Only Vikings have more. Setting themselves up to have less in 2025 though.

Bakhtiari 19M
Jones. 12.4M
Savage 5.4M
Douglas. 5.1M

Bretsky
03-14-2024, 07:57 AM
Packers up to 2nd in the NFL in dead money for 2024. Only Vikings have more. Setting themselves up to have less in 2025 though.

Bakhtiari 19M
Jones. 12.4M
Savage 5.4M
Douglas. 5.1M

This is kinda why Gutebag JordyNelsoning Aaron Jones makes no sense.

He has a 12mIL Cap hit this year; we only save about 5 MIL. Why not just overpay him slightly, perhaps 8MIL a year and use the Joshy funds elsewhere ?

So what is jacobs cap hit this year ? That'a a lotta money for a RB on our cap in 2024

SudsMcBucky
03-14-2024, 08:46 AM
This is kinda why Gutebag JordyNelsoning Aaron Jones makes no sense.

He has a 12mIL Cap hit this year; we only save about 5 MIL. Why not just overpay him slightly, perhaps 8MIL a year and use the Joshy funds elsewhere ?

So what is jacobs cap hit this year ? That'a a lotta money for a RB on our cap in 2024

Because Jacobs can be an answer for 2, 3, maybe even all 4 years. AJO has greater injury concerns even for just year 1 of this deal. I would say a much greater likelihood of Jacobs playing more games/getting more carries in '24 than Jones. And yes, AJO was probably my favorite player for the Pack. But........bidness is bidness.

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2024, 09:47 AM
Something I haven't seen anybody talk about is the fact that somebody way better IMO than either Jacobs or Jones went pretty cheap - $16 million for two years. I am referring to Derrick Henry, a huge guy like Dillon, but with breakaway speed and the power to break tackles like we could only wish Dillon had. And he's going to the Ravens to play with Lamar Jackson. Thank goodness we don't have to play them - except maybe in the Super Bowl.

Fritz
03-14-2024, 11:34 AM
Something I haven't seen anybody talk about is the fact that somebody way better IMO than either Jacobs or Jones went pretty cheap - $16 million for two years. I am referring to Derrick Henry, a huge guy like Dillon, but with breakaway speed and the power to break tackles like we could only wish Dillon had. And he's going to the Ravens to play with Lamar Jackson. Thank goodness we don't have to play them - except maybe in the Super Bowl.

I think the tread on them tires is pretty worn, Tex.

Joemailman
03-14-2024, 12:18 PM
Henry isn't the player he once was, but that's a great fit in Baltimore. They will punish defenses.

run pMc
03-14-2024, 12:20 PM
I think the tread on them tires is pretty worn, Tex.

Also, Derrick Henry is already 30. Aaron Jones will turn 30 later this year. Henry has held up really well given his physicality but he has over 2000 NFL career carries on top of 600 CFB carries. I don't think there's a lot left there.

McKinney is 24, Jacobs is 26. Look at the ages of a lot of the players, they are all pretty close - Gute is building a young core that should stay together for 2-3 years at least and peak somewhere in that time.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2024, 12:42 PM
Also, Derrick Henry is already 30. Aaron Jones will turn 30 later this year. Henry has held up really well given his physicality but he has over 2000 NFL career carries on top of 600 CFB carries. I don't think there's a lot left there.

McKinney is 24, Jacobs is 26. Look at the ages of a lot of the players, they are all pretty close - Gute is building a young core that should stay together for 2-3 years at least and peak somewhere in that time.

The notion that mileages (carries) wear down an NFL tailback is myth. Give some 21 year old 1000 carries in a season and he’ll be fine and dandy after a long offseason.

It ain’t mileage. It’s Father Time.

pittstang5
03-14-2024, 12:59 PM

LB - Devin White
Although, something doesn't seem right there. I think he was benched last year or something.
There's a reason he hasn't been signed yet.

S - Kamren Curl and Jordan Fuller
Jordan Fuller has a connection to Hafley via Ohio State.

Joemailman
03-14-2024, 01:14 PM
LB - Devin White
Although, something doesn't seem right there. I think he was benched last year or something.
There's a reason he hasn't been signed yet.

S - Kamren Curl and Jordan Fuller
Jordan Fuller has a connection to Hafley via Ohio State.

Curl or Fuller would be nice additions. I've read reports that Devin White has become almost uncoachable. One possibility at LB would be Jerome Baker.

Baker played for Packers linebackers coach Anthony Campanile in Miami and could be a nice fit opposite Quay Walker or in the middle of Jeff Hafley’s new 4-3 defense. Baker can run and cover, and he even has the athleticism to add some pass-rushing juice from an off-ball linebacker spot. The position is a need after releasing De’Vondre Campbell. Baker is still only 27 and coming off two solid seasons with the Dolphins.

bobblehead
03-14-2024, 01:26 PM
The notion that mileages (carries) wear down an NFL tailback is myth. Give some 21 year old 1000 carries in a season and he’ll be fine and dandy after a long offseason.

Its not a total myth, but its not a universal truth either. There have been studies on exactly when "most" backs hit that wall. If I recall its something like 1500 carries between college and pros. There are always unicorns like Emmit, AP, Frank Gore, but there are a lot more guys who we barely remember where it applied. Just a really quick glance at Ahman Green and he wore down around 1600-1700 career carries. The NFL landscape is littered with those types of backs. I think it also correlated with him turning 30 as well. Jones is almost 30, at like 1800 carries. He just had his worst ypc in the NFL and missed a lot of time (played 11 games, but several were less than half a game). Maybe AJ has a year in the tank, but he very well may not.

run pMc
03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
It's not a myth. Jamal Anderson got 290 carries in 1997 and then 410 in 1998 for ATL and was never the same after that SB run.
Look at the careers of RB from the 80's and 90's who were bellcow backs with over 300 carries and see how short their careers could be. There are plenty of cases where good RBs had a 2-3 year stretch of very good and then flamed out.

run pMc
03-14-2024, 03:50 PM
Curl or Fuller would be nice additions. I've read reports that Devin White has become almost uncoachable. One possibility at LB would be Jerome Baker.

I think they are probably done as a player in FA. Maybe they take some nibbles after the draft, but they spent a lot with McKinney and Jacobs, and they still have to extend Love later this summer.

Devin White was benched. He freelances and is too inconsistent. I think he'd be a bad mix with Quay. White is athletic, but he's all draft pedigree and very little production. They can and should do better than him.
Curl or Fuller would have been good choices at S, but McKinney was clearly the best S available. I'd expect them to draft a few guys to backfill the position or maybe bring Rudy Ford back.

Fritz
03-14-2024, 04:25 PM
I think they are probably done as a player in FA. Maybe they take some nibbles after the draft, but they spent a lot with McKinney and Jacobs, and they still have to extend Love later this summer.

Devin White was benched. He freelances and is too inconsistent. I think he'd be a bad mix with Quay. White is athletic, but he's all draft pedigree and very little production. They can and should do better than him.
Curl or Fuller would have been good choices at S, but McKinney was clearly the best S available. I'd expect them to draft a few guys to backfill the position or maybe bring Rudy Ford back.

If you're right then Guter better keep all eleven draft picks, because he's going to have to draft three or four linebackers and a couple more safeties, at least, and a couple more running backs. That's like seven picks minimum, right there. Minimum.

All that dead cap money is really - wait, what am I saying? The salary cap is a myth!

Come on, Tex and APB! Pull out those credit cards, and let's stoke up on some cocaine and a bunch of high-end hookers! And rent us all a gigantic Air BNB house somewhere so the Packerrats can celebrate when Guter signs another big-name safety AND another linebacker and running back!

No limits! Woo-hooo!

George Cumby
03-14-2024, 07:06 PM
Rumor has it Dillon will be re-signed for a bit over 2 million.

If so, I'm happy.

He's solid if a bit pedestrian. Blitz pick up is great, good hands, contributes enough in the run game.

Just stop running him from the shotgun.

pittstang5
03-14-2024, 07:38 PM
Rumor has it Dillon will be re-signed for a bit over 2 million.

If so, I'm happy.

He's solid if a bit pedestrian. Blitz pick up is great, good hands, contributes enough in the run game.

Just stop running him from the shotgun.

Good deal, I like Dillon.

and YES! Stop running him from the shotgun, especially on 3rd and 1!

RashanGary
03-15-2024, 01:29 AM
If Dillon really puts his focus on speed and explosiveness and eases up on the weight lifting for size, he could drop a few pounds and get a little more burst and have 3 more years in the league.

Frozen Tundra
03-15-2024, 02:11 AM

It's a combination of both, but you can't stop time. Technicaly, you're suffering an injury - multiple injuries - every time you get tackled. They're usually very minor injuries (bruises, sprains, muscle strains, etc) but it's still an injury that your body has to heal. That's why it hurts so much the next day; your body is healing those injuries. For most of an RB's career, 6 days is plenty of time to heal up before you go back out there and aggravate the same injury, but even then, you probably still feel a lot of those hits a week later, and the net effect is by the end of the season you've got a hundred places that are (at best) sore, and in some cases, really bothering you a lot.

You talk to just about any college of NFL player, at any contact position, and they'll tell you that from at least Week 2 or 3 until the end of the season, they're in some kind of pain every single day from injuries that just never had sufficient time to heal. In 2013, there was a survey done of 500 former NFL players, and 91% report significant, life-changing pain on a daily basis to the point where some can't even walk more than a few yards. Even Don Majkowsk, a quarterback, has had dozens of surgeries, and would be in poverty if he hadn't invested wisely, because he is incapable of holding down any kind of job.

You just don't heal as fast when you'e older, or as completely. It's not possible; the cumulative effect of all those tissue tears and joint strains combined with an aging body are an insurmountable barrier. As you age, the body's regenerative response (the healing process) not only slows down, it just doesn't work as completely, period. Bioligically, there's simply no need for it. We're genetically designed for maximum survivability during the reproductive stage of our life, so that we can spread our DNA and prepetuate the species, but once we're past the child-bearing and child-rearing phase of of our life, we've served nature's purpose. And it's time to shut things down, move on, and stop consuming the tribe's valuable resources.

You take OJ Simpson at age 22, vacuum-freeze him in plastic, and thaw him out 10 years later, there's just no way you're going to get 11,000 career yards out of the man, and you're sure never going to see him tear off 2000 yards over 14 games when he's 37.

Teamcheez1
03-15-2024, 04:56 AM
Spending $2M on Dillon is a waste of money. I suppose he at least knows the playbook and can spell Jacobs or others for a few plays.

Fritz
03-15-2024, 06:13 AM
Spending $2M on Dillon is a waste of money. I suppose he at least knows the playbook and can spell Jacobs or others for a few plays.

It’s not thrilling but it’s okay. I suppose this means they can draft a couple of very developmental running backs in later rounds if they so choose, since they’re going to need to draft about four linebackers and three safeties early on just to have enough players at those positions.

Not the revamping of the running back room I had hoped for.

Joemailman
03-15-2024, 08:19 AM
Josh Jacobs and Xavier McKinney will speak to the media in the Packers locker room this morning. Jacobs at 9 a.m., McKinney at 9:30.

Joemailman
03-15-2024, 08:19 AM
It’s not thrilling but it’s okay. I suppose this means they can draft a couple of very developmental running backs in later rounds if they so choose, since they’re going to need to draft about four linebackers and three safeties early on just to have enough players at those positions.

Not the revamping of the running back room I had hoped for.

Draft Will Shipley and they'll be good.

bobblehead
03-15-2024, 12:49 PM
If you're right then Guter better keep all eleven draft picks, because he's going to have to draft three or four linebackers and a couple more safeties, at least, and a couple more running backs. That's like seven picks minimum, right there. Minimum.

All that dead cap money is really - wait, what am I saying? The salary cap is a myth!

Come on, Tex and APB! Pull out those credit cards, and let's stoke up on some cocaine and a bunch of high-end hookers! And rent us all a gigantic Air BNB house somewhere so the Packerrats can celebrate when Guter signs another big-name safety AND another linebacker and running back!

No limits! Woo-hooo!

I just had an image pop into my brain. Similar to will Ferrell, APB running down the street, underwear around his neck screaming "I didn't even pay for this....it was a credit card!!!"

bobblehead
03-15-2024, 12:50 PM
If Dillon really puts his focus on speed and explosiveness and eases up on the weight lifting for size, he could drop a few pounds and get a little more burst and have 3 more years in the league.

He lacks great vision. That will always limit him. Might as well stay big.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2024, 02:06 PM
Did ya'all cap fanatics read the article that the Packers used an obscure rule that let them sign Dillon and $1.45 million won't count against the cap? Something about how he is a fan-favorite with four years on the team or something.

George Cumby
03-15-2024, 02:28 PM

After his rookie season, it seemed to me that he tried to emulate Jones' running style, which obviously didn't work as their strengths are so different.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2024, 03:00 PM
Did ya'all cap fanatics read the article that the Packers used an obscure rule that let them sign Dillon and $1.45 million won't count against the cap? Something about how he is a fan-favorite with four years on the team or something.

The Packers are clearly in a cap hell.

Why the fuck haven’t they cut Cletidus Clark yet? This bum has a 27M cap hit. Cutting this bum will open up about 3M. This bum clearly ain’t worth the 15M he will get paid this season.

run pMc
03-15-2024, 06:17 PM
His cap hit is so high because they've converted salary to bonus twice to gain cap space, and now that he's in the last year of his deal they can't do much else with it.
Clark might be the best IDL in the NFCN. If you think that's not worth $15M in salary, consider what the NYG just paid Runyan Jr. to play Guard.

run pMc
03-15-2024, 06:27 PM

He doesn't have good vision, and he's not a playmaker at a position where you want a playmaker. His yards after contact and broken/missed tackles numbers aren't good either.
However, Dillon does some things well that make him a pretty good RB3 - pass protection, catching dump offs, running out the clock. He doesn't fumble, but he doesn't break off many 10+ yard runs (8 last year out of ~180 carries). 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

I don't know what the actual numbers are yet, but if it ends up being 1yr, 2.25M with about 250K guaranteed, it's fine. The provision being used to sign him says 1.45M of that wouldn't count against the cap, so he could still be cut with a 250K cap hit (or whatever money is guaranteed) at worst.

You absolutely still bring in a RB or two from the draft or UDFAs. They will do for the RB room what they did for the WR room last year -- bring in competition and let the best guys win. Emanuel Wilson better get ready.
Signing Dillon isn't a bad move -- it's a little surprising given his declining production, that's all. I think it's fine for depth but doesn't move the needle at all.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2024, 06:34 PM
The Packers are clearly in a cap hell.

Why the fuck haven’t they cut Cletidus Clark yet? This bum has a 27M cap hit. Cutting this bum will open up about 3M. This bum clearly ain’t worth the 15M he will get paid this season.

You know I don't like sarcasm hahahahaha. You also know, that while you and I have solidarity about the cap, we differ greatly about the value of Kenny Clark. Assuming that $27 million cap hit is accurate, they should restructure him i.e. cook the cap regarding his contract. What the "ya'all" crowd as I call them do not seem to understand that the reason why the cap is not a problem is that you can deal with it intelligently by kicking things on down the road.

With Aaron Donald retiring, Clark just might be the best D Lineman in the league.

red
03-15-2024, 07:32 PM
don't like resigning dillon

he averaged a 1 per carry less then jones, running the same plays with the same line. thats crap. but he is the coaches favorite that he's back

throw in nixon and his insane 6 million a year for a guy who should be nothing more then a return guy to the 2 million that dillon is getting, and you should have just kept jones and had the best RB tandem in the league

Frozen Tundra
03-15-2024, 07:56 PM
Emanuel Wilson better get ready.
Signing Dillon isn't a bad move -- it's a little surprising given his declining production, that's all. I think it's fine for depth but doesn't move the needle at all.

I know Gute's been talking a lot about Wilson's ready to take the next step, and he's poised to have a big year and all that, but this may mean they're not as sure of that as they say they are. I know I'm sure not; I never saw anything particularly special from him last season. We may see RB early this year after all, Day Two.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2024, 09:10 PM
I'm about 50/50 about signing Dillon. He was cheap, really cheap considering the cap rule I referred to above. Also, I'm not quite as negative as some about his performance last season. Given what we have heard about Jacobs, it would be more feasible to have Dillon, a backup rather than a fairly equal rotating RB. I've been advocating getting that kind of fairly equal rotating RB in the draft (Braelon Allen for example). That might be less likely now. And then there's Wilson who supposedly the Packer brass really like. So what will happen? I think they still draft a good RB around the 2nd or 3rd and keep 4 RBs. Where on the roster do they eliminate a spot? No idea. We've got easily 6, maybe as many as 7 or 8 WRs worth keeping. With the signing of Davis, we likely will keep 4 TEs. We pretty much always have about 9 O Linemen with several vegetating on the bench, not even being worthy of playing special teams. I doubt we trim the numbers on D, all things considered. So all things considered, even though I like Dillon, I wish they hadn't signed him, as it complicates the whole mess.

MadtownPacker
03-15-2024, 10:13 PM
The price is good for what he brings. Other than knowing he isn’t going to get 10+yards on any given play he is solid. Also not used right at times. He had 0 fumbles last season (3 in career 2 came in one game) and that alone is worth it IMO. He was able to give Jones breathers so he should be able to do the same with Jacobs hopefully in a lesser capacity.

KYPack
03-15-2024, 11:44 PM
The price is good for what he brings. Other than knowing he isn’t going to get 10+yards on any given play he is solid. Also not used right at times. He had 0 fumbles last season (3 in career 2 came in one game) and that alone is worth it IMO. He was able to give Jones breathers so he should be able to do the same with Jacobs hopefully in a lesser capacity.

It's a good sign. He's got one thing going for him, he's got a lot to prove. He's a funny guy. His speed doesn't come into play until his 3rd stride. If you zero him early, he goes down. Solid in pass pro and doesn't fumble as Mad says. Many guys need that 3rd season to get it together, you'd hope he's in that category.

Fritz
03-16-2024, 07:34 AM
runpc wrote that Dillon is three yards and a cloud of dust. I'd agree except that when you absolutely need that one or two yards on third down, Dillon seemed unable to just get that couple of yards. For a guy with his quads and size, you'd think he could make those third-and-one or third-and-two carries pretty much automatic first downs, but he didn't seem to be able to do that. He wasn't as bad as Richard Rodgers - I've never seen a guy crumple so fast after a hit - but he can't seem to break that tackle at the line of scrimmage enough to get the one or two yards.

But yes, while you're getting your rookie running backs up to speed on pass pro and such, Dillon is solid for knowing the plays, pass protection, catching the ball out of the backfield.

run pMc
03-16-2024, 02:59 PM
throw in nixon and his insane 6 million a year for a guy who should be nothing more then a return guy to the 2 million that dillon is getting, and you should have just kept jones and had the best RB tandem in the league

I agree with this.
I think the Nixon contract was a little rich, although Keisean is always available. I'd rather they have trimmed off a million or two from Keisean's total contract, gave it to Jones to keep him and let Dillon walk, but maybe Nixon had more interest from other teams.
At a minimum signing Nixon and Dillon reduces any urgency to reach for a player at a position if the draft doesn't fall how they want. I still think they need to take an inside CB and a RB with upside.

As for Wilson, I think that was posturing. Sure they probably love him, but I haven't seen much from him. Maybe he has a Year 2 leap in him, but I'm doubtful. They always talk one or two players up in the offseason and these cute puffpieces come out, and then the season starts and they do nothing. It's like the kiss of death for a player. See: Tyler Davis in 2022, Samari Toure in 2023.

Joemailman
03-16-2024, 03:18 PM
Still waiting to see what the real numbers are on Nixon's contract. I'm okay, but only okay, on the Dillon signing. My guess is Dillon and Wilson will be battling for the same roster spot.

run pMc
03-16-2024, 03:42 PM
I think Dillon is a fine RB3, but I could see him getting cut if there's little to no cap hit and he gets outplayed.

ThunderDan
03-16-2024, 06:28 PM
runpc wrote that Dillon is three yards and a cloud of dust. I'd agree except that when you absolutely need that one or two yards on third down, Dillon seemed unable to just get that couple of yards. For a guy with his quads and size, you'd think he could make those third-and-one or third-and-two carries pretty much automatic first downs, but he didn't seem to be able to do that. He wasn't as bad as Richard Rodgers - I've never seen a guy crumple so fast after a hit - but he can't seem to break that tackle at the line of scrimmage enough to get the one or two yards.

But yes, while you're getting your rookie running backs up to speed on pass pro and such, Dillon is solid for knowing the plays, pass protection, catching the ball out of the backfield.

Half the issue is running shotgun on 3 and 2.

Fritz
03-16-2024, 06:48 PM
Yeah, please don't do that any more. I hate that.

Jaire
03-16-2024, 09:13 PM
Where's the "Fire Hafley" Thread?

Really slacking around here..... disappointed

Joemailman
03-16-2024, 09:29 PM
Where's the "Fire Hafley" Thread?

Really slacking around here..... disappointed

https://packerrats.com/showthread.php?32848-Official-Fire-Jeff-Hafley-Thread

Jaire
03-16-2024, 09:50 PM
lol. I couldn't find the thread. Thanks.

Joemailman
03-16-2024, 10:26 PM
Christian Watson's dad on the hamstring problems:

"Well, the collaborating specialists found the source of the problem. That was the main issue with getting the proper plan in place for a solution. Now, as I've shared before, it's not my place to share details. I'll let the Packers and/or Christian do that, should they decide to elaborate. However, with the source of the issue revealed, as long as the correct program is implemented and executed to rectify it, then this shouldn't be a recurring issue moving forward!"

Bretsky
03-16-2024, 10:47 PM
Consider me in the who cares group on the Dillon signing.

Frozen Tundra
03-16-2024, 11:06 PM

"Well, the collaborating specialists found the source of the problem. That was the main issue with getting the proper plan in place for a solution. Now, as I've shared before, it's not my place to share details. I'll let the Packers and/or Christian do that, should they decide to elaborate. However, with the source of the issue revealed, as long as the correct program is implemented and executed to rectify it, then this shouldn't be a recurring issue moving forward!"

Interesting news. I was speculating about that a couple of months ago when people were discussing whether there was even anything that could be done about chronic hammy problems, and was hoping that some top-level specialists would be able to isolate a cause. I hope he's right.

And just so people are aware, Watson's dad is not just some barstool blowhard, or a yapping pot-stirrer like James Jones' father was. Watson's dad is Tazim Wajed, better remembered by some of us as Packer safety Tim Watson from the 90s. He was never a star player or even close to it, but he's a really smart guy who spent a few years in the league and understands the game. I've heard him on a couple of podcasts, and he comes across as a very responsible and intelligent guy. Had some very interesting insights on Hafley a few weeks ago that I hadn't heard anyone express before, but really made a lot of sense, and some of which were similar to what other pundits have said but summarized much more clearly and deeply than I've heard others saying.

KYPack
03-16-2024, 11:32 PM
Great post Tundra.

for sure Don't remember Tim Watson but sounds level headed

Joemailman
03-17-2024, 08:33 AM
Great post Tundra.

for sure Don't remember Tim Watson but sounds level headed

Watson was a 6th round pick by the Packers but never played for the Packers. Don't know if there was a hamstring injury involved. Bounced around with a few teams for a few years.

run pMc
03-17-2024, 10:49 AM
If Watson's hamstring issues are resolved and he can be healthy that will be a big deal - he scares defenses and makes it easier for the other receivers.

Dillon is not good running from shotgun. The mesh point is different and I suspect more effective for him if the QB is under center.
I will be curious to see if they use a real FB more. Jacobs also played well from power/gap schemes, and I wonder if we see more of it. McVay went more power/gap last year.

bobblehead
03-18-2024, 02:29 PM

This is the kind of thing I read every off season and get excited about. Half the time it ends in brutal disappointment. I really hope Watson has it figured out because he is lightning. He is a true game changer.

Patler
03-18-2024, 03:34 PM
This is the kind of thing I read every off season and get excited about. Half the time it ends in brutal disappointment. I really hope Watson has it figured out because he is lightning. He is a true game changer.

Yup, just like everyone is "ahead of schedule" during off season rehab, until training camp when they are put on the PUP list, and then stay there for the start of the season.

Two big questions regarding Watson, even if they know the issue:

1. Can it be corrected?
2. How long will it take to really fix it, even if it is correctable?

Knowing the cause is the necessary start, but it is only that, a start. Lots to be answered yet.

sharpe1027
03-18-2024, 05:21 PM
There's more randomness than most people think. Watson might never have a another hamstring injury. He might have one the first practice. Having good training and therapy plans can help, but they just shift the odds. They don't guarantee anything.

Joemailman
03-18-2024, 06:16 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Panthers have agree to terms with former #Packers OT Yosh Nijman, source said, some depth for the O-line

King Friday
03-18-2024, 08:25 PM
Still waiting to see what the real numbers are on Nixon's contract. I'm okay, but only okay, on the Dillon signing. My guess is Dillon and Wilson will be battling for the same roster spot.

I think Nixon is far more valuable now with the new kickoff rules. It would’ve been a bad contract under the prior rules, where you should have just taken a free catch every time. Now, there is going to be value on having a returner who can make a big return, and Nixon can.

Frozen Tundra
03-18-2024, 08:49 PM
I think Nixon is far more valuable now with the new kickoff rules. It would’ve been a bad contract under the prior rules, where you should have just taken a free catch every time. Now, there is going to be value on having a returner who can make a big return, and Nixon can.

And remember, that seems to be something Lafleur values disproportionately relative to most other coaches. He often speaks about how much he loves Nixon's ability (and willingness) to run basically every kick out. Loves the way it keeps the other team off-balance, and especially loves the way it boosts the morale of his teammates. They're fired up on the sideline, excited to see one of his fullspeed runbacks, and they run on the field energized and full of momentum. Every single possession, instead of taking the first snap right after a boring touchback, we're basically starting our possession immediately following a big play - almost like taking the field after an interception. LaFleur feels very strongly that that's an important way to get a drive off to a good start.

Patler
03-18-2024, 09:53 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Panthers have agree to terms with former #Packers OT Yosh Nijman, source said, some depth for the O-line

Nice deal for him: "The NFL Network report said Nijman’s two-year contract is worth $8 million, including $5 million guaranteed, and has up to $7 million more in incentives."

red
03-18-2024, 10:46 PM
There's more randomness than most people think. Watson might never have a another hamstring injury. He might have one the first practice. Having good training and therapy plans can help, but they just shift the odds. They don't guarantee anything.

due to the fact that watson has missed multiple game every year (even in college) to hamstring injuries, its a pretty safe bet hes gonna hurt it again

there is seriously something not right with the way he is made, or at least the way his right hamstring is made

he missed 8 game last season with 2 separate right hamstring injuries
missed 3 games his rookie year week 1, 6 and 7 due to his right hamstring
and missed 3 games his senior year in college for right hamstring issues

Joemailman
03-20-2024, 08:23 AM
Details of Keisean Nixon contract finally out.

3 years, 18 million. 6.5 million signing bonus.

Cap hit by year:

2024: 4 million
2025: 6.8 million
2026:7.2 million

Would save 2.5 million on cap by cutting him in 2025 with 4.3 million dead cap.
Would save 5 million on cap by cutting him in 2026 with 2.2million dead cap.

run pMc
03-20-2024, 09:49 AM
due to the fact that watson has missed multiple game every year (even in college) to hamstring injuries, its a pretty safe bet hes gonna hurt it again

there is seriously something not right with the way he is made, or at least the way his right hamstring is made

he missed 8 game last season with 2 separate right hamstring injuries
missed 3 games his rookie year week 1, 6 and 7 due to his right hamstring
and missed 3 games his senior year in college for right hamstring issues

Now do Jaire, Stokes, and Bahktiari. Ope, Bahktiari's been cut. ;)

I don't think Watson's injury issues will completely go away - dude is really tightly wired and I think he'll always be easily dinged up as a result - but I think if his availability improves by even 50% that's a big win for GB. Jayden Reed will see a lot of attention this year, Watson is needed to threaten defenses.
The worrying part is how many right hamstring injuries can he sustain before it completely snaps and/or he loses his speed & explosion?

run pMc
03-20-2024, 09:49 AM
Details of Keisean Nixon contract finally out.

3 years, 18 million. 6.5 million signing bonus.

Cap hit by year:

2024: 4 million
2025: 6.8 million
2026:7.2 million

Would save 2.5 million on cap by cutting him in 2025 with 4.3 million dead cap.
Would save 5 million on cap by cutting him in 2026 with 2.2million dead cap.

So it's a deal that is easy to get out of in a year or two. I don't see him getting to 2026 with this contract.

Dillon's contract is good for both sides too:

Per the stipulations of the four-year qualifying contract that Dillon signed, he was allowed to earn up to $2.742 million in 2024. Dillon hit that number exactly, as he’s set to make a $2.575 million base salary with a $167,500 signing bonus. He will only count $1.29 million against the cap, though, as the four-year qualifying contract allows the Packers to pay him an uncapped $1.45 million.
(acmepackingcompany)

Frozen Tundra
03-20-2024, 12:59 PM
So it's a deal that is easy to get out of in a year or two. I don't see him getting to 2026 with this contract.

When it comes time to pay the 22 and 23 draft classes, that salary's going to have to go. He might be safe through 25, though.

run pMc
03-20-2024, 01:23 PM
When it comes time to pay the 22 and 23 draft classes, that salary's going to have to go. He might be safe through 25, though.

Agree. My guess is his skills will have diminished and they will have a new slot CB by then anyway.

Frozen Tundra
03-20-2024, 01:34 PM
Agree. My guess is his skills will have diminished and they will have a new slot CB by then anyway.

Running back 50-60 kickoffs and punts every year puts a lot of wear and tear on a 200-pound man, too.

Frozen Tundra
03-20-2024, 02:52 PM
I don't think Watson's injury issues will completely go away - dude is really tightly wired and I think he'll always be easily dinged up as a result - but I think if his availability improves by even 50% that's a big win for GB. Jayden Reed will see a lot of attention this year, Watson is needed to threaten defenses.
The worrying part is how many right hamstring injuries can he sustain before it completely snaps and/or he loses his speed & explosion?

I think this is going to be a career-long issue with him. You're right; chronic recurring hamstring strains frequently have a cumulative effect making reinjury increasingly more likely with each recurrence. I think the biggest issue is that in order to heal properly, the athlete needs to take a lot more time to rest and rehab the injury than the NFL can afford to give him. Hamstrings usually take several weeks (or months) to fully heal, and it's very difficult for a player to take that much time. But if they come back before it's fully healed, it becomes not just likely but probable that they'll reinjure the muscle.

Hamstring injuries account for 12% of all primary injuries in the NFL, and the recurrence rate is 32%. Players also have a 24% chance of sufffering a separate lower-body injury that same season (ankle, knee, groin, etc), from compensating for the hamstring. Wide receivers suffer 55% of all hamstring injuries in the NFL, and are more likely to suffer recurrences.

He may never have another hamstring issue as long as he lives, but the odds are stacked against him. This season is probably his make or break year. If he can sail through 24 without another tweak, maybe we can be optimistic - but if he misses significant time again, we may have to accept that availability is always going to be questionable with him.

Frozen Tundra
03-20-2024, 05:58 PM
Well, this is a pleasant surprise.... we're $24.5 million under the cap right now.

According to Over The Cap, the Packers have $24.56 million in cap space, the 11th-most in the NFL.

They have the flexibility to sign more free agents, should they wish, and still have plenty left over to sign their upcoming draft class. The Packers won't necessarily spend big on another player, but they can make any move they need to.

https://lombardiave.com/posts/updated-packers-cap-space-first-wave-free-agency-01hscp7zy983

I'm sure some of that is earmarked for Love, and maybe frontloading contracts for a couple other young players (and of course, you still have a draft class to sign next month, and you need some for in-season free agents), but it sounds like we may be able to add a linebacker or another safety after all.

Plus, we get another $10.5M back on June 1 when Campbell is off the books, and we're projected to be $60,000,000 under in 2025. Obviously Love will get a lot of that, but still - I don't know how Gute did this, but damn. I'm impressed.

Joemailman
03-20-2024, 06:16 PM
Well, this is a pleasant surprise.... we're $24.5 million under the cap right now.

https://lombardiave.com/posts/updated-packers-cap-space-first-wave-free-agency-01hscp7zy983

I'm sure some of that is earmarked for Love, and maybe frontloading contracts for a couple other young players (and of course, you still have a draft class to sign next month, and you need some for in-season free agents), but it sounds like we may be able to add a linebacker or another safety after all.

Plus, we get another $10.5M back on June 1 when Campbell is off the books, and we're projected to be $60,000,000 under in 2025. Obviously Love will get a lot of that, but still - I don't know how Gute did this, but damn. I'm impressed.

That 24.56 million was before Nixon's contract. Now about 21 million, which ranks 13th.

Bretsky
03-20-2024, 06:45 PM
Don't know if you homers saw this about Dillon's contract. GB used a little known clause in the NFL few utilize. They signed Dillon to a minumum wage contract for a 4 year veteran so he roughly counts about 1.3 MIL against the cap, even though they can pay him up to the 2.5 MIL range. I asssume they adeed bonsues that do not count against the cap regardless.

On the other side, it's reported that Guters offered Jones 4MIL per year for the next 2 years to stay. I can see why Jones are a bit hurt by being Jordy'd

texaspackerbacker
03-20-2024, 11:59 PM
I posted about that rule they used on Dillon several days ago.

As for all this relief among the cap panickers, like shit, this sort of thing happens. Gutekunst has indeed done a good job, but it's the kind of thing that happens without really trying for the teams that do NOT get all panicky and start stupidly unloading good players. The thing he has done that is so great is not fussing about the cap, but finding a bunch of really high quality young players.

With the probable huge Love contract coming up, they have the option of not prorating a big bonus i.e. not minimizing the cap in the first year. Handling the cap is not always a matter of pushing things on down the road. It's a matter of doing what is smart to do in a variety of ways.

Don't worry, ya'all, in a couple of years, there will be a LOT of big money contracts needed for the young star quality players we have. Gutekunst will do what is necessary to keep everybody worth keeping, and ya'all will be back stewing and whining about cap hell.

Bretsky
03-21-2024, 12:12 AM
I posted about that rule they used on Dillon several days ago.

WHAT are you doing posting facts ; you tend to ignore the factual data and and evidence and draw your conclusions without them :)

texaspackerbacker
03-21-2024, 12:15 AM
Yeah, and I tend to ignore the media pukes too, but I came across this little article by somebody describing the rule.

Frozen Tundra
03-21-2024, 08:42 AM
Yeah, and I tend to ignore the media pukes too, but I came across this little article by somebody describing the rule.

So the "media pukes" that you hate, make fun of, and don't pay any attention to are just fine when they say something you agree with.

QBME
03-21-2024, 11:23 AM
Don't worry, ya'all, in a couple of years, there will be a LOT of big money contracts needed for the young star quality players we have. Gutekunst will do what is necessary to keep everybody worth keeping, and ya'all will be back stewing and whining about cap hell.

Yup.
Gotta believe.

sharpe1027
03-21-2024, 11:33 AM
For the most part, people don't whine about cap hell. They just disagree the cap can be ignored without consequences.

Fritz
03-21-2024, 12:04 PM
Supposedly the Packers have enough now to sign another free agent, but we're at the bottom of the barrel here. Guter and his scouts are going to have to pull a Rasul Douglas/Devondre Campbell out of his hat.

Plus, ideally, you'd like to structure deals now so you're not always binding yourself up down the road. More upfront money. Like, say, for a certain QB who has no hate - only Love.

Joemailman
03-21-2024, 12:19 PM
Supposedly the Packers have enough now to sign another free agent, but we're at the bottom of the barrel here. Guter and his scouts are going to have to pull a Rasul Douglas/Devondre Campbell out of his hat.

Plus, ideally, you'd like to structure deals now so you're not always binding yourself up down the road. More upfront money. Like, say, for a certain QB who has no hate - only Love.

Might wait now to see what players get cut after the draft. De'vondre was a June signing. Rasul was taken off a practice squad in October.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-21-2024, 12:54 PM
Like, say, for a certain QB who has no hate - only Love.

Fritz, with all due respect, I realize that you’ve been a die-hard Pack fan since you disavowed the Redcoats in 1963 for refusing to draft Jim Brown. The Packers and cheese go together like Coldplay and awesome.

But c’mon, man! You’re a professor of English, yo! Enough with the cheesy puns. Give us some elegant homophonic/homographic/homonymic puns! (No homo jokes, please.)

Joemailman
03-21-2024, 12:57 PM
According to Eric Wilson's IG account, he's back with Packers. Linebacker depth and key ST guy.

Patler
03-21-2024, 02:00 PM
The Packers are serious about challenging Anders Carlson. Per Bill Huber at SI.com, they worked hard to get an unidentified veteran FA, and both sides had agreed to a deal. Before actually signing, the kicker changed his mind and signed with a different team.

The only veteran FA kickers who have been signed are:

Wil Lutz
Nick Folk
Brandon McManus
Joey Slye

Seemingly, it would have to have been one of those four.

red
03-21-2024, 03:19 PM
The Packers are serious about challenging Anders Carlson. Per Bill Huber at SI.com, they worked hard to get an unidentified veteran FA, and both sides had agreed to a deal. Before actually signing, the kicker changed his mind and signed with a different team.

Wil Lutz
Nick Folk
Brandon McManus
Joey Slye

vet kickers can be signed during the season or any other time if need be

we should have signed one during last season

we at least need to have a real competition for the spot before next season

Joemailman
03-21-2024, 03:27 PM
One thing is for sure. If the new kickoff rules are adopted, teams won't need a guy who can kick it 75 yards through the back of the end zone. Place kick accuracy will be the only thing that matters.

KYPack
03-21-2024, 03:31 PM
I cast my vote for Nick Folk.

At the least he'd show our green kid what it means to be a pro.

He only missed one FG last season.

29 of 30. He missed two XP's.

Our youngun was last in the league in missed XP's.

Bring him to camp and lettum fight.

Joemailman
03-21-2024, 03:57 PM
I cast my vote for Nick Folk.

At the least he'd show our green kid what it means to be a pro.

He only missed one FG last season.

29 of 30. He missed two XP's.

Our youngun was last in the league in missed XP's.

Bring him to camp and lettum fight.

Actually our youngun was first in missed XP's. :):bang:

run pMc
03-21-2024, 04:11 PM
According to Eric Wilson's IG account, he's back with Packers. Linebacker depth and key ST guy.

Not a bad signing. Probably an inexpensive contract for GB and he's solid depth. He's better than Ty Summers.

KYPack
03-21-2024, 04:38 PM
Actually our youngun was first in missed XP's. :):bang:

When you miss the most xp's, you are last, bitch

Fritz
03-21-2024, 05:28 PM

Wil Lutz
Nick Folk
Brandon McManus
Joey Slye

I wonder if said kicker knew he was competition for Carlson, and if Carlson kicked well, the vet was gone. So off he goes to a team who makes him the undoubted #1 kicker guy dude.

As to whether Anders Carlson was #1 in the league in missed extra points, or whether he was last in extra point conversions, the answer is, well, yes.

I think Daniel Whelan needs to bring Carlson back to Ireland this offseason and have the kid play some rugby over there. Somehow, I think that'll straighten the kid right out.

red
03-21-2024, 08:41 PM
One thing is for sure. If the new kickoff rules are adopted, teams won't need a guy who can kick it 75 yards through the back of the end zone. Place kick accuracy will be the only thing that matters.

you might see a whole lot of old guys coming out of retirement if thats the case

KYPack
03-21-2024, 10:34 PM
I wonder if said kicker knew he was competition for Carlson, and if Carlson kicked well, the vet was gone. So off he goes to a team who makes him the undoubted #1 kicker guy dude.

As to whether Anders Carlson was #1 in the league in missed extra points, or whether he was last in extra point conversions, the answer is, well, yes.

I think Daniel Whelan needs to bring Carlson back to Ireland this offseason and have the kid play some rugby over there. Somehow, I think that'll straighten the kid right out.

I'm going to Ireland in May. Will take in the Heineken 7's rugby tournament.

Planning on partying hard.

If I see Whelan I'll give him the word.

Fritz
03-22-2024, 07:40 AM
You're going to have a blast, KY. Been there before? The wife and I went in 2019. She was Irish, and everywhere we went (okay, every pub), as soon as the locals found out she was Irish - and as soon as she flashed that big smile she had - everyone was buying everyone rounds. Fun people, those Irish. It's just so different traveling there, too. If you and I wanted to get together here, Id make the six-hour drive down to where you are from where I am. But if it was Ireland, with those narrow, twisting lanes they call roads, that same trip would take two days.

An old college buddy used to play rugby in Toledo. It was a blast to watch him and his team play, though frankly I don't understand the rules, exactly.

Tell Danny boy to toughen Carlson up.

KYPack
03-22-2024, 12:04 PM
Folk resigned with the Tennessee Tuxedos.

I'd like to see us bring in a vet kicker, but don't have an idea who would be the right player.

texaspackerbacker
03-22-2024, 01:56 PM
120+ college teams, all of them have a kicker, most of them fairly competent, probably minimum of 30 coming out of colleges every year. What we ought to do is bring in at least 3 or 4 young kickers for tryouts. Odds are somebody would be worthy of a practice squad spot even if they didn't actually beat out Carlson.

Joemailman
03-26-2024, 11:35 AM
Packers have signed former Vikings kicker Greg Joseph. Competition for Carlson.

red
03-26-2024, 02:25 PM
Packers have signed former Vikings kicker Greg Joseph. Competition for Carlson.

wow, way to lower the bar for carlson to "win" the competition

Joemailman
03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
wow, way to lower the bar for carlson to "win" the competition

No. Packers got even with the Vikings for signing Aaron Jones.

MadtownPacker
03-26-2024, 10:34 PM
Damn you beat me to it!! :lol:

sharpe1027
03-27-2024, 05:23 AM

ThanksKwesi

Fritz
03-28-2024, 05:53 AM
Ah, I see what you're doing there.

Good one.

Joemailman
03-28-2024, 10:51 AM
Josiah Deguara has signed with Jaguars.

Joemailman
04-08-2024, 09:13 PM
Did you see the eclipse? https://twitter.com/i/status/1777400147221118981

Fritz
04-09-2024, 11:20 AM

Here's Josiah working out at home:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2GxZSOkJ4c8/maxresdefault.jpg

bobblehead
04-09-2024, 11:30 AM

Shouldn't Rodgers face have been on the sun?

MadtownPacker
04-09-2024, 10:34 PM
Did you see the eclipse? https://twitter.com/i/status/1777400147221118981
That’s some stalker type of shit there!! Fucking stans :lol:.

MadtownPacker
04-09-2024, 10:36 PM
Shouldn't Rodgers face have been on the sun?
That shit has to be done! You’re a real special kinda twisted man :lol:.

Joemailman
04-15-2024, 10:24 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Jaire Alexander didn’t come to the voluntary offseason program last year.

He did this year, seen here with Xavier McKinney in a photo by team photographer Evan Siegle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLP-KhoXcAAPlL2?format=jpg&name=small

Frozen Tundra
04-15-2024, 11:35 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Jaire Alexander didn’t come to the voluntary offseason program last year.

He did this year, seen here with Xavier McKinney in a photo by team photographer Evan Siegle.

Verrryy interesting....

So.... 2023.... "Hm, there's a voluntary offseason workout program, and they'll pay me $700,000 to go listen to Joe Barry for 2 months..... nah; I'll pass."

2024.... "This is my chance to work out with Xavier McKinney for 2 months without having to listem to Joe Barry. Hell yeah, I'm there."

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2024, 05:13 AM
McKinney’s speed on Madden currently is 86. That’s slow. For comparison, Quay “Muthafuckin” Walker currently has 88.

Hopefully the Packers draft a “fast as fuck” safety. Otherwise, with 21 Savage gone, I will have to play Nixon the “free.”

run pMc
04-16-2024, 10:38 AM
McKinney ran a 4.63 40 with a 1.66 10 yard split. He's not a burner, unlike Savage.
ALSO unlike Savage, he has good instincts and is a sound tackler.

IOW, Savage: very good athlete, meh player; McKinney: meh athlete, very good player. Which would you prefer?
McKinney would probably not have been on GB's draft board (as a top 50 pick), but once a player has proven themselves in the league they overlook RAS. Zadarius Smith is another example - dude had a 3.75 RAS coming out of UK.

They aren't going to play Nixon at safety.

Re: Jaire, I'm not surprised. He wasn't subtle in the past about his frustration with the Barry defense. He's showing up to learn the scheme and to get a read on his new DC. Netting 700K is icing on the cake.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2024, 02:13 PM
McKinney ran a 4.63 40 with a 1.66 10 yard split. He's not a burner, unlike Savage.
ALSO unlike Savage, he has good instincts and is a sound tackler.

IOW, Savage: very good athlete, meh player; McKinney: meh athlete, very good player. Which would you prefer?
McKinney would probably not have been on GB's draft board (as a top 50 pick), but once a player has proven themselves in the league they overlook RAS. Zadarius Smith is another example - dude had a 3.75 RAS coming out of UK.

They aren't going to play Nixon at safety.

Re: Jaire, I'm not surprised. He wasn't subtle in the past about his frustration with the Barry defense. He's showing up to learn the scheme and to get a read on his new DC. Netting 700K is icing on the cake.

Before the German Shepherd traded away Douglas, my “nickel” D consisting of 23 and 21 at corner, Nixon in the slot. 26 and Douglas as safeties, and Owens and Ford as “linebackers” was pretty impregnable against online opponents. All I did was blitz all day.

McKinney seems to have game speed. If he’s a playmaker, who cares about his 40 time in real life, I guess.

It’s a given the Packers are gonna draft a safety. Let’s hope they draft one who runs like a cheetah, tackles like a lion and covers like a hyena.

And don’t say DeJean. For once, Millennials like Partial, Harrell and myself would like to see a white corner don the Green and Mustard Yellow in a regular season game. The only GM in NFL history who ain’t ever missed the playoffs, Mike Sherman, cut Kevin Kaesviharn before that could happen. Kaesviharn is the last white corner to play an NFL game…for the Kentucky Pussycats.

bobblehead
04-18-2024, 04:34 PM
Just saw we signed Andre Dillard. Loved him coming out but injuries derailed him. He had such light feet. If we got him for not too much he can olay the Yosh swing tackle role well.

Joemailman
04-18-2024, 05:01 PM
Just saw we signed Andre Dillard. Loved him coming out but injuries derailed him. He had such light feet. If we got him for not too much he can olay the Yosh swing tackle role well.

Very athletic guy who had a rough year in 2023 with Tennessee. Gave up 12 sacks. Packers may be hoping there are holes in his technique that they can improve on. Worth a shot.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0mVGXNW0AE8KBc.png

texaspackerbacker
04-18-2024, 06:21 PM
Before the German Shepherd traded away Douglas, my “nickel” D consisting of 23 and 21 at corner, Nixon in the slot. 26 and Douglas as safeties, and Owens and Ford as “linebackers” was pretty impregnable against online opponents. All I did was blitz all day.

McKinney seems to have game speed. If he’s a playmaker, who cares about his 40 time in real life, I guess.

It’s a given the Packers are gonna draft a safety. Let’s hope they draft one who runs like a cheetah, tackles like a lion and covers like a hyena.

And don’t say DeJean. For once, Millennials like Partial, Harrell and myself would like to see a white corner don the Green and Mustard Yellow in a regular season game. The only GM in NFL history who ain’t ever missed the playoffs, Mike Sherman, cut Kevin Kaesviharn before that could happen. Kaesviharn is the last white corner to play an NFL game…for the Kentucky Pussycats.

Somehow I missed reading this until now. You beat me to it with what you said about had to say about McKinney. I was really happy when he was signed, and I still am. Performance as a college Safety doesn't often translate to NFL quality. Thus, picking up a proven FA like McKinney is excellent. Yeah, matching him up with one or probably more very athletic Safetys and developing them would be good too. I'd draft one of those 3rd - 6th round and take a flyer on that cheetah you're talking about as a FA. I'd also draft a smart plodder Safety in the 4th - 7th as well as getting one of those as a FA. That plus whatever leftovers we have should be just fine.

I don't give a shit about the color of a Corner hahahaha. I'm not even sure what color DeJean is. I think I'd be ok with drafting him in the first round, although I kinda doubt that happens. In addition to Jaire, the Packers seem to be ready to making a commitment to Stokes as well as paying Nixon plus Valentine is a keeper and maybe Ballentine too. It's not a position of great need.

As meh as O Line is to me, we do need a couple more bodies there. This Dillard and several other low round and FA pickups should do the job. I say again, do NOT draft O Line 1st or 2nd round.

Frozen Tundra
04-18-2024, 06:44 PM
I don't give a shit about the color of a Corner hahahaha. I'm not even sure what color DeJean is.

Blond and blue-eyed, but he seems to have worked very hard to overcome that.

Frozen Tundra
04-18-2024, 08:27 PM
Very athletic guy who had a rough year in 2023 with Tennessee. Gave up 12 sacks. Packers may be hoping there are holes in his technique that they can improve on. Worth a shot.

Might almost suggest Gutekunst is leaning toward cornerback in Round One.

Joemailman
04-18-2024, 09:27 PM
Might almost suggest Gutekunst is leaning toward cornerback in Round One.

I don't think this signing has an effect on whether they will draft an OT in 1st round. This is just veteran depth, something they really lack.

bobblehead
04-19-2024, 11:37 AM
I don't think this signing has an effect on whether they will draft an OT in 1st round. This is just veteran depth, something they really lack.

Agree. Dillard has proven he is a good backup in the NFL. He has done that while starting which has been a problem for the teams that counted on him to start. Maybe our staff can get a little more out of him, but I can admit he was a swing and a miss for me. If they are signing him with any expectations of him starting I am disappointed to say the least.

run pMc
04-19-2024, 02:24 PM
Dillard was a tire fire for TEN last year; 12 sacks in about 560 snaps. They benched him. Rumor is Myles Garrett schooled him so bad that Garrett was giving him blocking tips after the game.
I would consider a training camp body/depth move with the whole "competition" thing in mind. Maybe Dillard can get you thru a game, but I don't think you ever want him as your starter.

He won't impact draft strategy at all, aside from giving them more freedom to pick a developmental OT vs. one they might need in Game 3 should Walker or Tom twist an ankle.

And yes, Dillard's a good athlete, but there's enough pro tape to tell you that he's not a starter. This is like signing Byron Bell. Dillard played in an Air Raid offense, and those players tend to struggle to make it in the NFL. If anyone can get something out of him, it's GB. I wouldn't hold my breath -- PHI sure tried, and they've fielded some pretty good OLs.

smuggler
04-19-2024, 04:09 PM
Just a kick of the tires. We've done more with less, but right now he's the epitome of athlete who can't play.

Frozen Tundra
04-21-2024, 07:19 PM

He won't impact draft strategy at all, aside from giving them more freedom to pick a developmental OT vs. one they might need in Game 3 should Walker or Tom twist an ankle.

Which, in turn, might mean drafting a T a round or round and a half later, giving them the latitude to take a different player at some other position of need.

This close to the draft, there are no insignificant roster additions. They all affect the draft to some degree. Gute didn't just grab 'im up because after 2 months he finally decided the guy's a bargain; he's looking at draft charts every waking moment and seeing them in his sleep at this point. He has a rough list of roster spots he wants filled or strengthened. He signed Dillard because he feels Dillard meets a need, and now that's a need that doesn't need to be filled in the draft.

Even if it only frees up a 6th round pick, it's still something of value to Gute in the draft - even if only trade currency to move up in an earlier round.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2024, 01:30 AM
[I]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLP-KhoXcAAPlL2?format=jpg&name=small

23: Enjoy the room, man, it ain’t gonna last.

29: What’s so special about the room?

23: It’s all-black, man. They’re gonna draft some frog named DeJean. DB corps gonna be tainted, yo.

29: Shit, man. Will they do shit about that all-white TE room?

Fritz
04-22-2024, 07:11 AM

Don't know how this does or does not affect the draft. I just don't.

I did read that one question on the defensive line side of the ball is where Colby Wooden ends up playing. He's listed at 273 pounds - not different than the big (what used to be) EDGE rushers. So is he a defensive end or a tackle in this new scheme?

In that same article on ACME, they noted that he "slid down the depth chart" last year.

If you're him, you better be ready to hit the ground running in training camp.

bobblehead
04-22-2024, 10:53 AM
Don't know how this does or does not affect the draft. I just don't.

I did read that one question on the defensive line side of the ball is where Colby Wooden ends up playing. He's listed at 273 pounds - not different than the big (what used to be) EDGE rushers. So is he a defensive end or a tackle in this new scheme?

In that same article on ACME, they noted that he "slid down the depth chart" last year.

If you're him, you better be ready to hit the ground running in training camp.

I think it has zero impact on the draft. Gutes probably had a high grade on Dillard coming out, still sees some athleticism and is willing to let his staff have a go at making him a serviceable swing tackle. In no way do I think he signed him to allow draft flexibility.

run pMc
04-22-2024, 11:28 AM
Wooden was undersized for Barry's D and as a 3-4 DE, but he's got some length and quickness. I think the assumption was that he'd be a subpackage/depth guy until he put on additional weight and functional strength.
It's possible you could play him at end in Hafley's D, just like it's possible they could shoot Gary or LVN inside at 3T if they wanted to exploit a mismatch (although I think Wyatt et al. would be better there).

Karl Brooks played edge for Bowling Green at 300 pounds. They have some dudes in the front who are weird that way and could potentially shift around in a pinch. I suspect they don't want to do that though.

Dillard is a depth signing, he's basically a backup LT (maybe not a RT) and your 'break glass in case of emergency' Yosh Njiman type. Depending on the draft he might not make it out of camp. He was better for PHI than TEN, but he's pushing 29 so I don't think you can expect much improvement or upside.

bobblehead
04-22-2024, 06:47 PM
Run, last year was an awesome draft at EDGE and TE. Brooks and Wooden were "tweener" edge players thus we got them cheap and late. Bottom line though, they are football players and probably can find ways to be productive if put in solid situations and asked to do things within a system. If Wooden put on 15 pounds of muscle this offseason (very achievable) then all of a sudden you can expect him to hold the point in a 4-3.

run pMc
04-23-2024, 01:18 PM
Run, last year was an awesome draft at EDGE and TE. Brooks and Wooden were "tweener" edge players thus we got them cheap and late. Bottom line though, they are football players and probably can find ways to be productive if put in solid situations and asked to do things within a system. If Wooden put on 15 pounds of muscle this offseason (very achievable) then all of a sudden you can expect him to hold the point in a 4-3.

100% Agree. DL often take a few years to really develop; that they (mostly Brooks) could contribute was encouraging.

One thing I noticed Gute leaned into last year was drafting players who had a down year after a very good year (Reed, Wicks, Nichols). It's like buying on the dip and hoping it's not a falling knife. I'll be curious to see what 'market inefficiencies he'll try to exploit this year... usually they relate to positions of strong depth in the draft class.

Fritz
04-24-2024, 08:24 AM

I know nothing about weight training, so this was a surprise to me. These guys are already workout-crazy - they have to be, in their profession - so how a guy who's already pumped up can put on another fifteen of muscle seems wild to me. But as Sergeant Schultz so famously said, "I know nussink!"

I like that idea that I think run put out there - keep an eye on guys who had down years last year but good years prior to that, and have good meausureables. That's something to watch. Don't know which players fit that, but I'll bet several of you do.

bobblehead
04-24-2024, 09:24 AM
I know nothing about weight training, so this was a surprise to me. These guys are already workout-crazy - they have to be, in their profession - so how a guy who's already pumped up can put on another fifteen of muscle seems wild to me. But as Sergeant Schultz so famously said, "I know nussink!"

I like that idea that I think run put out there - keep an eye on guys who had down years last year but good years prior to that, and have good meausureables. That's something to watch. Don't know which players fit that, but I'll bet several of you do.

First, just moving into a professional program and not being a student can have a guy put on 10 pounds of muscle in an offseason, usually while shedding some fat though. If the program is specifically aimed adding 15 net pounds though, for a guy his size its probably not hard at all. When you have the resources to streamline the dietary habits and the lifting 15 pounds is nothing. I weigh in at a hardy 215 and workout modestly nowdays, but I could easily swap 15 muscle for fat or just tack on 15 in muscle if I made it a mission (and I'm 50+).

run pMc
04-24-2024, 04:34 PM
First, just moving into a professional program and not being a student can have a guy put on 10 pounds of muscle in an offseason, usually while shedding some fat though. If the program is specifically aimed adding 15 net pounds though, for a guy his size its probably not hard at all. When you have the resources to streamline the dietary habits and the lifting 15 pounds is nothing. I weigh in at a hardy 215 and workout modestly nowdays, but I could easily swap 15 muscle for fat or just tack on 15 in muscle if I made it a mission (and I'm 50+).

Agree. These players have big frames and with nutrition and training can put the weight on. In many cases it's swapping out bad weight for good, or fat with muscle. If you're already 6-5 280, what's another 10 pounds? That's adding 3.5% to their weight.

Frozen Tundra
04-24-2024, 05:08 PM
Agree. These players have big frames and with nutrition and training can put the weight on. In many cases it's swapping out bad weight for good, or fat with muscle. If you're already 6-5 280, what's another 10 pounds? That's adding 3.5% to their weight.

I usually assume most players coming out of powerhouse football programs like Big 10 and SEC schools have already spent a few years in a very good nutrition and physical development program, but for a guy like Brooks - coming out of Bowling Green - he's probably going to benefit a great deal from NFL level conditioning and dietary programs. Could make some significant improvements there in Year One.

Joemailman
04-24-2024, 07:42 PM

Wooden just said he's gone from 278 to 290 this offseason.

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 09:47 AM
100% Agree. DL often take a few years to really develop; that they (mostly Brooks) could contribute was encouraging.

One thing I noticed Gute leaned into last year was drafting players who had a down year after a very good year (Reed, Wicks, Nichols). It's like buying on the dip and hoping it's not a falling knife. I'll be curious to see what 'market inefficiencies he'll try to exploit this year... usually they relate to positions of strong depth in the draft class.

Jordan Love fits that category as well. Every one of those guys (including Love) had a pretty good reason for the drop off as well. New coaching, talent around them disappearing etc. I would hope he continues since its worked very well.

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 09:50 AM

And I would hope he lost some fat, so the net amount of muscle increase would be even more than 12 pounds. Of course, now he has to keep it on through a grueling camp.

Fritz
04-25-2024, 11:27 AM

I saw that too. It's making me think I have superpowers.

Is there anyone else on the team that needs to change his body weight and/or composition? Just let me know, and I'll be sure to cast doubt on that person's ability to do so, and - ta-da! - it's done.

As for the original thread topic, it'll be interesting to see if they sign another FA safety after the draft.

run pMc
04-25-2024, 01:05 PM
Dillard's contract is vet minimum, not a single dollar of guaranteed money. Roster bubble/depth guy.

Joemailman
04-27-2024, 08:57 PM
Justis Mosqueda
@JuMosq

The Packers are way over the number of undrafted free agents they have room for. Cuts are coming soon

Fritz
04-27-2024, 09:06 PM
It would be hilarious though fucked up if Guter cut some of the rookies he just drafted. “Ah, they don’t seem so great after all. I fucked up, man. I just read Packerrats, and they’re right. I made some shit picks.”