PDA

View Full Version : Predict the Packers offseason roster decisions

RashanGary
01-22-2024, 08:47 PM
Jordan Love - Re-sign. 48M per year average in new money. 4 years, added on. Total 5 years, 205M (5 years 41M per year when you add in the last year of his current deal)

Bakhtiari - If anyone is dumb enough to give up a 4th or even 7th round pick for him, trade and eat the 20M otherwise cut and eat it.

Campbell - McDuffie looks good. Cut him and move on.

Runyan - Rhyan looks solid. Bye Felicia.

Yosh - See ya. Don’t let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out

Deguara - Goodbye. Kraft might be tall to play an Hback role, but he’s probably better at it than you. See ya!

Owens - revamp that secondary. Bye.

Ford - No doubt. See ya

Stokes - Do not pick up 5th year option.

You get probably a 4th or 5th round compensatory for Runyan and maybe a 6th or 7th for Deguara.

Clark - DTs are rare. He’s too good. Re-sign and deal with his 25M dead cap later.

Jones - He’s too good and we don’t have anyone to replace him. Re-sign and deal with the 12M later.

Preston - He’s really good and he’s not that expensive. Maybe restructure, but you can live with his contract.

Jenkins - Maybe restructure, but his contract is good so however it works out

Savage - Re-sign. He’s solid. Fair deal.

And here’s where it gets tricky

Jaire - Do you trust his shoulder or his attitude? If the answer is no, trade him for a bag of chips.

Dillon - He’s a good bad weather back. If for some reason you can’t make Jones work, maybe you keep him. Or if he’s really cheap.

Nixon - He’s barely serviceable as a nickle and he’s a good returner. If he’s cheap, run it back.

You can think about re-signing Meyers and McDuffie in season if you’re really happy with their play.

Getting rid of Bakh, Campbell and Jaire would do wonders for our future cap situation. Even if you keep Jaire, the cap is in good shape after this year.

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2024, 08:57 PM
The cap will be just fine. I think you’re largely right although I’m sure someone like Deguara will be back for basically a minimum deal ‘cause why not. He’s a fine third TE. They will resign AJO and anyone else worth resigning. They will let Myers play out the 4th year and hope he brings his A game, then they’ll let him walk. I think they need a guard or two. DE too.

Fritz
01-23-2024, 08:32 AM
I still wonder if the Jest would give up a pick for Bakh.

Think about it: He's stated he definitely wants to play - has he even said for two years? I don't know - and he's the Jets' Co-GM's best friend. If you're the other GM, Joe Douglas, you know you need lots of O-line help. Let's say you know you're going to draft an offensive tackle early on - you're still struggling as to whether, say, JJ McCarthy or one of the other second-tier QB's is worth your first round pick - so you're thinking either first- or third-round. And you probably need two tackles, or a tackle and a guard. And sure, Bakhtiari is a big medical risk. But IF he is able to play, you'll have a rock-solid pass-blocker (plus he's the Co-GM's best friend, and you want your Co-GM to be hap-hap-happy) for a very meager price - maybe a fifth rounder? A sixth? You're likely not going to find a starting left tackle - as a rookie - in the fifith or sixth round. And you need someone who can step in and play right away, because the clock is ticking on your Co-GM's other career, as an NFL QB. The Packers are publicly saying they're going to keep Bakhtiari, and not cut him, so you can't wait around like a vulture. So you throw a sixth-round pick away if it doesn't work out. Not a huge risk for the potential payoff - a rock-solid starting left tackle in a year you're going all-in.

The salary part, I know nothing about. So I don't know how that all would factor in, though the Co-GM supposedly signed a team-friendly deal last year, so maybe you can do some more voodoo and fit Bakh in.

ThunderDan
01-23-2024, 09:14 AM
I still wonder if the Jest would give up a pick for Bakh.

Think about it: He's stated he definitely wants to play - has he even said for two years? I don't know - and he's the Jets' Co-GM's best friend. If you're the other GM, Joe Douglas, you know you need lots of O-line help. Let's say you know you're going to draft an offensive tackle early on - you're still struggling as to whether, say, JJ McCarthy or one of the other second-tier QB's is worth your first round pick - so you're thinking either first- or third-round. And you probably need two tackles, or a tackle and a guard. And sure, Bakhtiari is a big medical risk. But IF he is able to play, you'll have a rock-solid pass-blocker (plus he's the Co-GM's best friend, and you want your Co-GM to be hap-hap-happy) for a very meager price - maybe a fifth rounder? A sixth? You're likely not going to find a starting left tackle - as a rookie - in the fifith or sixth round. And you need someone who can step in and play right away, because the clock is ticking on your Co-GM's other career, as an NFL QB. The Packers are publicly saying they're going to keep Bakhtiari, and not cut him, so you can't wait around like a vulture. So you throw a sixth-round pick away if it doesn't work out. Not a huge risk for the potential payoff - a rock-solid starting left tackle in a year you're going all-in.

The salary part, I know nothing about. So I don't know how that all would factor in, though the Co-GM supposedly signed a team-friendly deal last year, so maybe you can do some more voodoo and fit Bakh in.

Bahk would cost his new team $20.9 million which is manageable. The new team wouldn't be stuck with the remaining prorate signing bonus that stays with the Packers as dead cap space.

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2024, 12:35 PM
If we were able to unload the ol' sacred cow at all for a draft pick, it would likely be the '25 draft, not '24, and it likely would be conditional on how and how much Bakhtiari plays. You know, of course, that there is somebody very much hated by the dumbass ingrates in and out of this forum who would undoubtedly push for the Jets to get him, so who knows. It maybe would test the idea of how much influence Rodgers has there.

Arctic Fox
01-23-2024, 01:04 PM
Release Anders carlson

Joemailman
01-23-2024, 01:34 PM
Release Anders carlson

Not likely to happen. They stuck with him this far, they'll at least bring him back for offseason practices. Maybe with some real competition.

BrokenArrow
01-23-2024, 01:35 PM
Release Anders carlson

Carlson goes nowhere until training camp. You don't just cut him because there's no guarantee you'll find someone better. But definitely bring some competition into camp.

Arctic Fox
01-23-2024, 01:41 PM
Not likely to happen. They stuck with him this far, they'll at least bring him back for offseason practices. Maybe with some real competition.

Competition in camp may help but for me to trust him again after choking late in the 9er game, he'll have to improve alot. like 100%

Arctic Fox
01-23-2024, 01:42 PM
Carlson goes nowhere until training camp. You don't just cut him because there's no guarantee you'll find someone better. But definitely bring some competition into camp.

There HAS to be better kickers out there. Maybe the Ravens will realease Tucker after they win the super bowl! :)

BrokenArrow
01-23-2024, 01:56 PM
There HAS to be better kickers out there. Maybe the Ravens will realease Tucker after they win the super bowl! :)

That could cause a lot of confusion. I can just see MLF yelling, "Tucker! Get out there an make that kick!" Before you can blink you'll have a TE running out there!

Arctic Fox
01-23-2024, 01:57 PM
That could cause a lot of confusion. I can just see MLF yelling, "Tucker! Get out there an make that kick!" Before you can blink you'll have a TE running out there!

Lol

RashanGary
01-23-2024, 03:57 PM
It’s really weird having two new accounts (or old accounts who haven’t posted enough to have a real schtick like everyone else)

Either

A. The exciting season really has revived two peoples interest enough to come back

Or

B. My paranoia is right and Harlan Huckleby is using his burner accounts.

Fritz
01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Release Anders carlson

I think it'll sound better if you say "Free Anders Carlson NOW!"

It's really hard though to disagree with any of your posts, though. I keep staring at your avatar picture and it makes me want to just nod mutely in agreement.

Arctic Fox
01-23-2024, 04:22 PM
If you're speaking about me. I have been posting on another site but have lost interest there because of all the political talk.

Arctic Fox
01-23-2024, 04:24 PM
I think it'll sound better if you say "Free Anders Carlson NOW!"

It's really hard though to disagree with any of your posts, though. I keep staring at your avatar picture and it makes me want to just nod mutely in agreement.

:)

I really think Carlson needs to go down to the minors (if this were baseball) and work on his mechanics. He's just too eratic. He missed a kick in like 12 straight games, right?

Fritz
01-23-2024, 04:25 PM
If you're speaking about me. I have been posting on another site but have lost interest there because of all the political talk.

I'm talking about your very distracting avatar picture.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-23-2024, 04:27 PM
Nixon is the only UFA worth re-signing. Unlike Hyde and Sullivan, Nixon ain’t a liability at the nickel spot. Solid as a rock.

Clark is a good leader and all that shit, but he’s but an average baller - not a playmaker.

J-Alex is a shutdown corner. You don’t get rid of shutdown corners.

German Shepherd has gotta sign a mofo ILB AND a hip hot safety in free agency. A few names worth signing, should they hit the market: Frankie Luvu, Lavonte David, Patrick Queen, Jordyn Brooks, Devin White, Antonio Winfield, Kyle Dugger, Kamryn Curl, Xavier McKinney.

RashanGary
01-23-2024, 04:27 PM

We have a separate section for that. If we talk politics in the packer section we get a week suspension, sometimes two weeks, but in the playoffs leniency was once granted with a warning shot of only one day.

But yeah, we don’t talk politics in the Packer area (or religion I’ve been recently made aware) because it makes for annoying tension.

Arctic Fox
01-23-2024, 04:28 PM

I know... I was answering rashan gary's post.

Arctic Fox
01-23-2024, 04:29 PM

You think my avatar is distracting?

Arctic Fox
01-23-2024, 04:31 PM
We have a separate section for that. If we talk politics in the packer section we get a week suspension, sometimes two weeks, but in the playoffs leniency was once granted with a warning shot of only one day.

But yeah, we don’t talk politics in the Packer area (or religion I’ve been recently made aware) because it makes for annoying tension.

That's good to know. The other site only had one area to comment and some days it was nothing but politics. The only thing that made that site attractive is that it was instant comments. 50 comments in 5 minutes. Sometimes here, you post a comment and don't get an answer for an hour or more.

RashanGary
01-23-2024, 05:08 PM
Here is the list of players who are listed at Clark’s 314 or higher who have more sacks than Kenny Clark since sack stats started being recorded in 1960:

1 Muhammad Wilkerson 6’4” 315 44.5
2 Gary Walker 6’3 325 46.5
3 Chester McGlockton 6’3” 334 51
4 Dan Wilkinson 6’4” 340 54.5
5 Richard Seymour 6’6” 317 57.5

You can knock Seymour off that list because he’s a clearly different body type being long and lean.

With Clark’s stout body type, he’s the 5th all time sack leader. He’s sure to finish top 3 with a chance at being the NFLs all time sacks leader who is listed at 314 or higher.

Child please, Clark is rare DT.

RashanGary
01-23-2024, 05:13 PM
Let’s say his career finished like this

29 5 sacks
30 4 sacks
31 3 sacks
32 2 sacks
33 1 sack

He finishes with 55 sacks and the most ever by a player 314 or heavier (excluding Seymour who was a clearly different body type)

Let’s not even start talking about Kenny Clark not being an impact player as an all around run/pass defender. He’s one of the best to ever do it.

RashanGary
01-23-2024, 05:22 PM
Honestly, as an all around defensive talent being able to consistently wreck double teams in the run game and still get pressure on the QB in the passing game…. Clark makes a case for being a HOFer.

But if you’re not a super chubby, eccentric dude, who’s nick named “big daddy,” and has a high profile charity helping single moms own a home, no one notices run defenders in the NFL. They just see 50 sacks and compare it to 250lb Clay Matthews Jr and determine he had a lesser impact.

MadtownPacker
01-23-2024, 09:45 PM
It’s really weird having two new accounts (or old accounts who haven’t posted enough to have a real schtick like everyone else)

Either

A. The exciting season really has revived two peoples interest enough to come back

Or

B. My paranoia is right and Harlan Huckleby is using his burner accounts.This is not a nice way to welcome new people man. Also, your paranoia doesn’t matter because you don’t deal with the account stuff. Just take some advise from your buddy rodgers and RELAX. We know you are the hard hitting safety of PackerRats. :lol:

For the record when we have gotten new members it tends to be around playoffs and the draft.

run pMc
01-24-2024, 07:32 AM
Let’s not even start talking about Kenny Clark not being an impact player as an all around run/pass defender.

I won't go so far on your other statements and projections, but I agree with this. Kenny Clark is one of the better all around DTs in the league.
College isn't cranking as many of these guys out anymore and Clark has been very good for a long time. He's clearly their best DL, Brooks might be the next best. This team looks different/worse without him on it.
Kenny isn't going anywhere, they will probably give him an extension and rework some of the money he's owed this next season for room.

Fosco33
01-24-2024, 09:35 AM
Anyone see Jaire’s tweet? Kinda cryptic like he’s not gonna be back. He’s so intriguing

Anti-Polar Bear
01-24-2024, 12:20 PM
Anyone see Jaire’s tweet? Kinda cryptic like he’s not gonna be back. He’s so intriguing

27M dead money cap hit. J-Alex ain’t going anywhere - unless he gets caught operating an underground dog fighting ring.

SudsMcBucky
01-24-2024, 12:42 PM
27M dead money cap hit. J-Alex ain’t going anywhere - unless he gets caught operating an underground dog fighting ring.

I'm not actually advocating for it, but if JA were traded POST June 1st, then he'd actually only count $8.3MM against our cap and we'd save $15.6MM.

run pMc
01-24-2024, 02:15 PM
Offseason is when players get their revenge on social media by intentionally posting all kinds of misleading and ambiguous things. Jaire is a mischievous dude and is getting an early start.
He's not going anywhere unless someone is making Gute a knockout offer.

As weird as he is, Jaire is not a locker room cancer. You don't trade corners like him in their prime, this early in the contract extension unless there's a problem.

bobblehead
01-24-2024, 02:25 PM

He's a very unhappy snowflake that someone told him to stop being a douchebag. He reminds me of another primadonna who was upset that we just didn't realize how special he really was.

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2024, 11:00 PM
The only thing that matters is if he's lost a step and gets beat too often. I'd say the jury is still out on that. I hope they keep him with the new DC rather than maybe seeing him be a star somewhere else.

Upnorth
01-25-2024, 11:27 AM
You think my avatar is distracting?

Not distracting enough imo

run pMc
01-25-2024, 12:00 PM
Jaire is still good when healthy and dialed in. He wasn't healthy a lot lately - which is a concern - and he hated Barry's scheme. An offseason to heal and a new DC might produce a bounce back season for him.

He's a clown and has joked around and pulled stunts on social media before. They aren't trading him.

bobblehead
01-25-2024, 12:24 PM
The only thing that matters is if he's lost a step and gets beat too often. I'd say the jury is still out on that. I hope they keep him with the new DC rather than maybe seeing him be a star somewhere else.

That is certainly NOT the only factor. How about asking...when Rasul got traded did he lose his study buddy and stop watching film? Does he set a good example of how to be a pro to younger players? Does he cause a distraction and take his team mates focus off of football?

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2024, 04:15 PM
All of that kind of shit is a bunch of the God damned media stirring up trouble, same as with Rodgers when he was here.

run pMc
01-28-2024, 12:51 PM
All of that kind of shit is a bunch of the God damned media stirring up trouble, same as with Rodgers when he was here.

Actually, it's Jaire posting something, and those paying attention wondering what he means by it. Nothing to do with media, other than you using it as a thin excuse to rant.

Bretsky
01-28-2024, 03:57 PM
Jordan Love - Re-sign. 48M per year average in new money. 4 years, added on. Total 5 years, 205M (5 years 41M per year when you add in the last year of his current deal)

Bakhtiari - If anyone is dumb enough to give up a 4th or even 7th round pick for him, trade and eat the 20M otherwise cut and eat it.

Deguara - Goodbye. Kraft might be tall to play an Hback role, but he’s probably better at it than you. See ya!

Ford - No doubt. See ya

You get probably a 4th or 5th round compensatory for Runyan and maybe a 6th or 7th for Deguara.

Clark - DTs are rare. He’s too good. Re-sign and deal with his 25M dead cap later.

Jones - He’s too good and we don’t have anyone to replace him. Re-sign and deal with the 12M later.

Preston - He’s really good and he’s not that expensive. Maybe restructure, but you can live with his contract.

Jaire - Do you trust his shoulder or his attitude? If the answer is no, trade him for a bag of chips.

Dillon - He’s a good bad weather back. If for some reason you can’t make Jones work, maybe you keep him. Or if he’s really cheap.

Nixon - He’s barely serviceable as a nickle and he’s a good returner. If he’s cheap, run it back.

You can think about re-signing Meyers and McDuffie in season if you’re really happy with their play.

Getting rid of Bakh, Campbell and Jaire would do wonders for our future cap situation. Even if you keep Jaire, the cap is in good shape after this year.

Great post

Although I'd keep Owns for a backup cause I like Simone being in Green Bay
Gotta keep Jaire and get rid of Bakh; Dillon...goodbye unless we get him really really chepa

RashanGary
01-28-2024, 04:37 PM
Great post

Although I'd keep Owns for a backup cause I like Simone being in Green Bay
Gotta keep Jaire and get rid of Bakh; Dillon...goodbye unless we get him really really chepa

With a new DC, savage’ value goes down. Owens and Savage both play a SS style. I’d be torn between which to keep because Owens should be much cheaper. But Savage is much faster.

texaspackerbacker
01-28-2024, 08:18 PM
Actually, it's Jaire posting something, and those paying attention wondering what he means by it. Nothing to do with media, other than you using it as a thin excuse to rant.

It was actually media shitheads trying to interpret his posting and making more of it than it probably was i.e. stirring up trouble, like those bastards are prone to do.

texaspackerbacker
01-28-2024, 08:31 PM

Ford - No doubt. See ya

The post is thorough and good enough to be bumped to the new page.

I disagree with you about Runyan, Owens, Ford, and maybe Jaire. Also, I wouldn't exactly call Savage "solid". Hopefully his value dropped enough to sign him fairly cheap. Isn't he more of a Free Safety than Strong Safety? I also would risk moderate money for Nixon. He did fairly good but inconsistent at Nickel, and he was excellent as a Returner.