PDA

View Full Version : One positive thing I see...

VegasPackFan
09-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Is that (in general) our defensive players are pretty good tacklers. It used to drive me crazy watching our guys bouncing off the other teams' players or flailing around with thos egod-foresaken arm tackles. This was a pet peeve over the last few years.

This year, I am noticing that we wrap guys up pretty well, and there are more good solo tackles going down. Our secondary guys seem to hit pretty hard too.

They need to work on coverages, but hey - sure tackling is a basic, fundamental skill that all good teams exhibit.

Another reason why I am glad they drafted AJ.

BallHawk
09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
The tackling is there, the coverage is :neutral: .

jack's smirking revenge
09-17-2006, 06:24 PM
We looked good on tackling and run support, but LOST in pass defense.

tyler

The Leaper
09-17-2006, 06:30 PM
I hate Kurt Shottenheimer. He is a worthless turd of a coach. Our secondary will improve the minute he is fired. The sooner the better.

Bossman641
09-17-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't know whether to blame the loss of Bates or the acquisition of Schottenheimer.

Collins looks like he has regressed this year.

Brando19
09-17-2006, 06:35 PM
At the beginning of the year, all i heard was how good the Packers secondary was going to be...how the Packers strong point is against the pass...pshhhh...yeah right. That's why we're losing games!

Fritz
09-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Well, often the secondary's play depends on the pass rush. It's a hardworking bunch but there's no one who provides that constant threat of a sack.

There are other positives, though. We have a young kicker and punter who are developing. Nick Collins played well in stretches. Jennings caught a TD.

The young guard Colledge supposedly played okay.

It's a work in progress.

VegasPackFan
09-17-2006, 07:31 PM
this team will get better and better as the season progresses.
It may not translate to any wins, but I dont think that is the goal of the staff this season. Wins are a bonus as they turn this team over from Sherman's players and develop the talent that they want here long term.

Mazzin
09-17-2006, 08:05 PM
We are a couple years away from the playoffs. Probably 2 or 3 so why dont we all just chill out, sit back, and enjoy the ride?

packers11
09-17-2006, 08:06 PM
We are a couple years away from the playoffs. Probably 2 or 3 so why dont we all just chill out, sit back, and enjoy the ride?

I don't think Favre wants to enjoy the ride, he wants to win now... As do I....

VegasPackFan
09-17-2006, 08:15 PM

I don't think Favre wants to enjoy the ride, he wants to win now... As do I....

It's just not gonna happen. We are rebuilding and giving the young guys a chance to learn and get experience.

red
09-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Well, often the secondary's play depends on the pass rush. It's a hardworking bunch but there's no one who provides that constant threat of a sack.

There are other positives, though. We have a young kicker and punter who are developing. Nick Collins played well in stretches. Jennings caught a TD.

It's a work in progress.

the problem is that today, we did get a decent pass rush

harris and woodson played better today. but collins does look like he's gone backwards in his development, manuel looked pretty solid. bush got burned once that i saw, i think for a td. and Grabby McGoo, is still up to his old tricks and is a liability whenever he's on the field because he can be called for holding or pass interference on almost every single play

b bulldog
09-17-2006, 08:17 PM
My positive is more in depth draft talk.

Willard
09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Another positive thing:

Driver is on pace to catch 120 balls for 2000 yards!!!!! :D :D

errrr, and zero touchdowns :oops:

b bulldog
09-17-2006, 08:21 PM
DD is a pro's pro.

Willard
09-17-2006, 08:25 PM
DD is a pro's pro.

I love it when the "experts" go on and on about how Favre has no weapons. No help whatsoever. Meanwhile The Donald just gets it done over and over and over again. Now lets get him involved in the redzone offense so we can score some damn points!

FritzDontBlitz
09-17-2006, 09:21 PM

It's a work in progress.

harris and woodson played better today. but collins does look like he's gone backwards in his development, manuel looked pretty solid. bush got burned once that i saw, i think for a td. and Grabby McGoo, is still up to his old tricks and is a liability whenever he's on the field because he can be called for holding or pass interference on almost every single play

the packers play too much zone coverage, something these players obviously aren't very good at.

at least i HOPE they're supposed to be playing zone.

either way, the defensive backfield coach needs to be fired. hasn't he been here since donatell?

i'm talking about squattenhimer...

Chester Marcol
09-18-2006, 10:22 AM

I will agree with you up to maybe a 1/4 the way into the 2nd quarter. After that, we allowed Brees to look pretty good and drive his team at will against us. When you are getting pressure, things like the first quarter are going to happen. We could have had Carrol and his clones out there in coverage in the first quarter. The only reason I see squawking on the board about our terrible pass coverage in the secondary is because of our pedestrian defensive line. We really shouldn't be surprised as this is a similar line as last year. Same song, different season.

Tony Oday
09-18-2006, 10:28 AM

I will agree with you up to maybe a 1/4 the way into the 2nd quarter. After that, we allowed Brees to look pretty good and drive his team at will against us. When you are getting pressure, things like the first quarter are going to happen. We could have had Carrol and his clones out there in coverage in the first quarter. The only reason I see squawking on the board about our terrible pass coverage in the secondary is because of our pedestrian defensive line. We really shouldn't be surprised as this is a similar line as last year. Same song, different season.

Huh? What 4 sacks 2 fumbles and a pick in the first half! CMON we should have dominated this game but the offense couldnt get us up quick enough and far rnough then the secondary failed us.

Chester Marcol
09-18-2006, 11:06 AM

Huh? What 4 sacks 2 fumbles and a pick in the first half! CMON we should have dominated this game but the offense couldnt get us up quick enough and far rnough then the secondary failed us.

Unfortunatley most of that was 1st quarter. Starting in the second quarter I didn't see much of anything as far as pressure from our line, once in awhile doesn't cut it. I really don't think Drew Brees is that good. I'm sorry, but pressure has to come all game long. If an adjustment can be made and we stop getting steady pressure, that just means they figured out our couple moves. Good D-lines dominate all game long. Peppers dominated all game long and the Vikes D-line looked good all game long whenever I switched over to that game. Brees put up some serious numbers and sadly most of it was over 3 quarters.

bbbffl66
09-18-2006, 05:40 PM
The question is with as bad as the D has looked playing average QB's, what will happen when faced with a good QB(Brady, Donovan,ect). How many yards for Kitna?

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2006, 10:57 PM
The one positive is: expectations are so low that it will seem like a minor miracle if we finish with more than last year's 4 wins. The losses aren't quite as depressing as a few years ago. I'd say there are some parts of the team that are playing quite well. The secondary has been the biggest disappointment. At this rate, Schottenheimer will be out of a job next year. Maybe Sanders also.