PDA

View Full Version : Joe Barry Out!

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 08:12 AM
om Pelissero
@TomPelissero

A change in Green Bay: Joe Barry will not return as the #Packers’ defensive coordinator, per sources.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 08:24 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/5mBE2MiMVFITS/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lm8ebjdrp3roniydtebui88ckior 0pg7ba0s59ci&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

QBME
01-24-2024, 08:25 AM
om Pelissero
@TomPelissero

A change in Green Bay: Joe Barry will not return as the #Packers’ defensive coordinator, per sources.

Just heard it on the radio in Chicago.
He gone.

BrokenArrow
01-24-2024, 08:30 AM
Thanks you Jesus! (And MLF, I guess.) Now I can finally exhale.

Fritz
01-24-2024, 08:41 AM
om Pelissero
@TomPelissero

I'll believe it when it's officially announced.

LeFleur just finished telling the world he was not even on to those evaluations yet, and was going to take his time.

But I hope it's true.

Then an overhaul of the inside linebacker position, and a complete blowing up of the safety position are both in order.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 08:41 AM
Coming to you live from downtown Green Bay:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/kg0lJ4yFHtNnB585w8/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ygtbnr24gmbohztccxmb23qhtk5b 7m5290g3qlxa&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

BrokenArrow
01-24-2024, 08:55 AM
LeFleur just finished telling the world he was not even on to those evaluations yet, and was going to take his time.

Maybe he's resigning.

ThunderDan
01-24-2024, 08:56 AM
Excellent news.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 09:01 AM
Maybe he's resigning.

I think MLF just wanted a chance to talk with his coaches before making an announcement. Don't want them hearing about it first on twitter.

Fosco33
01-24-2024, 09:03 AM
Wow

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2024, 09:03 AM
Wow, that is great news to start the day!! Who are the candidates folks? I am hoping it someone hella aggressive that the players love to play for. Ideally 45 years old, handsome in a daring kind of way, and someone the players would run through a brick wall for.

King Friday
01-24-2024, 09:04 AM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2024, 09:05 AM
It seems like MILF has really grown into the leader of the team over the past few years, but took another huge step this year. Matt came out of the Rodgers fiasco a different man. It seems like his stamp is all over the team now, and he is just so much more confident in general.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 09:08 AM
Wow, that is great news to start the day!! Who are the candidates folks? I am hoping it someone hella aggressive that the players love to play for. Ideally 45 years old, handsome in a daring kind of way, and someone the players would run through a brick wall for.

Put me down for Chris Hewitt. Love the way Baltimore plays defense. That is, if Hewitt isn't getting Baltimore DC position if MacDonald gets HC position.

QBME
01-24-2024, 09:28 AM
Put me down for Chris Hewitt. Love the way Baltimore plays defense. That is, if Hewitt isn't getting Baltimore DC position if MacDonald gets HC position.

Just a pipe dream, but Ron Rivera would be awesome on a few different levels.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 09:36 AM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Can confirm the Joe Barry firing. Also, it was not a housecleaning. He hasn’t fired the entire defensive staff. Should shake out soon if anyone else has been let go.

BrokenArrow
01-24-2024, 09:37 AM
It seems like MILF has really grown into the leader of the team over the past few years, but took another huge step this year. Matt came out of the Rodgers fiasco a different man. It seems like his stamp is all over the team now, and he is just so much more confident in general.

Rodgers held this team back in ways we will probably never fully understand.

Upnorth
01-24-2024, 09:45 AM
I heard that belichek guy in new England was ok on d.

Maybe we should see....

Fosco33
01-24-2024, 09:48 AM
Jim Leonhard
Chris Harris
Al Harris
Jesse Minter
Chris Hewitt
Mike Zimmer
Mike Vrabel
Ejiro Evero
Wink Martindale

BrokenArrow
01-24-2024, 09:53 AM
And just like that, losing to the Niners suddenly became worth it.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 10:02 AM
Jim Leonhard
Chris Harris
Al Harris
Jesse Minter
Chris Hewitt
Mike Zimmer
Mike Vrabel
Ejiro Evero
Wink Martindale

I don't think Evero is available for a lateral move. He is getting HC interviews, and if he doesn't get a HC job, I expect Carolina will keep him.

I think Martindale's stock has dropped a bit. Blitz-heavy scheme that gave up big plays and did not stop the run. But if MLF wants someone totally unlike Barry, he would fit the bill.

Not sure Vrabel is looking for a DC position.

Like all the other names.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 10:05 AM
Packers have made it official:

Joe Barry will not return as defensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers. Head Coach Matt LaFleur made the announcement Wednesday.

Barry has worked as an NFL coach for 22 seasons, including the last three years as the defensive coordinator for the Packers.

"We want to thank Joe for his commitment and contributions to our success the past three seasons," said LaFleur. "These decisions are extremely difficult and Joe is one of the best men I've had the opportunity to work with in this league."

BrokenArrow
01-24-2024, 10:10 AM
League officially on notice we are no longer screwing around.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 10:14 AM

Tommy Devito contemplating retirement.

Bretsky
01-24-2024, 10:31 AM
Say it with me Tex

JIMMY
JIMMY
JIMMY

Fosco33
01-24-2024, 10:33 AM
Say it with me Tex

JIMMY
JIMMY
JIMMY

I’ll 2nd that!

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2024, 12:40 PM
I'm happy about this within limits. The limit is that LaFleur supposedly likes Barry's style of D and will go for somebody who uses a similar scheme. That probably means no "Jimmy" or the guy I chose in the poll as my choice, Aranda. It also would tend to rule out a lot of the others on the list - Martindale, Zimmer, etc..

George Cumby
01-24-2024, 01:21 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/529/287/13f.gif

George Cumby
01-24-2024, 01:28 PM

https://beforeitsnews.com/contributor/upload/469030/images/Be%20afraid.jpg

run pMc
01-24-2024, 02:03 PM
huh. they actually did it.

now, the next step is really important: don't screw up the DC hire.

As for Barry, poor dude had people razzing him and his family. That's... crossing a line. It's a frigging game. From what I heard he's a great guy and works well with everyone in the building. Someone losing their job is not exactly something I would celebrate under all but the most unusual circumstances.

That said, I think this was the right move.

I wish him luck in the future. Unfortunate that he couldn't change his tune here in GB, but I'm not surprised.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 02:10 PM
huh. they actually did it.

now, the next step is really important: don't screw up the DC hire.

As for Barry, poor dude had people razzing him and his family. That's... crossing a line. It's a frigging game. From what I heard he's a great guy and works well with everyone in the building. Someone losing their job is not exactly something I would celebrate under all but the most unusual circumstances.

That said, I think this was the right move.

I wish him luck in the future. Unfortunate that he couldn't change his tune here in GB, but I'm not surprised.

I read Carlson had to take his instagram account private as well.

bobblehead
01-24-2024, 02:13 PM
Rodgers held this team back in ways we will probably never fully understand.

Like winning back to back MVPs?? That held us WAY back.

bobblehead
01-24-2024, 02:17 PM
1)Jim Leonhard
Chris Harris
Al Harris
Jesse Minter
Chris Hewitt
Mike Zimmer
Mike Vrabel
2) Ejiro Evero
Wink Martindale

3) Rex Ryan

Thats my top 3. Offer Jim the job right now and if he refuses again, wait a beat on Evero to see if he is available after they hire a new HC. If he isn't available call Sexy Rexy. After that I could go in a lot of directions, but those 3 would excite me.

Its a good week. First Griffin is removed from a job he clearly can't handle, now this. Hopefully we make a more inspiring hire than Doc Rivers. We have the advantage of it being the offseason so we should be able to.

Arctic Fox
01-24-2024, 02:44 PM
Very happy Barry is out. We need a DC that can use our multiple #1 defensive draft picks play to their full potential.

Teamcheez1
01-24-2024, 03:15 PM
I understand Jim Leonhard was a hot commodity several years ago, but what has he done since then to improve his defensive coaching skill set in the NFL?

RashanGary
01-24-2024, 03:36 PM
You were right, I was wrong!!!!!

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 03:38 PM
I understand Jim Leonhard was a hot commodity several years ago, but what has he done since then to improve his defensive coaching skill set in the NFL?

My guess is Leonhard is at the top of MLF's list, or not on the list at all.

Sparkey
01-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Fangio and Dolphins have parted after 1 year ?

MadtownPacker
01-24-2024, 03:44 PM
Like winning back to back MVPs?? That held us WAY back.
It probably did if you consider it. Those MVPs were from individual stats. Stays he protected at the cost of not running the plays called or playing favorites on offense. The only goal is to win trophies not awards.

bobblehead
01-24-2024, 03:47 PM
Just got a text that fangio is out in Miami. He instantly becomes a top 2 or 3 contender

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 03:51 PM
Just got a text that fangio is out in Miami. He instantly becomes a top 2 or 3 contender

He is expected to sign with Philadelphia.

RashanGary
01-24-2024, 04:20 PM

Lafleur having his own QB and the full reigns of the offense seems to have rejuvenated him. He sounded fired up about the guys getting after the offseason and already dialed in on next seasons run.

His piss is hot. If he’s taking out the axe and chopping down his friendship trees, he means business.

I don’t think it’s just Lafleur. Gute has also been drug through the mud and seems fired up to make his mark. Early signs say his last two drafts have been all timers. Two top 5 tackles in the 4th and 7th rounds, and a total of 14 players who look like very possible starting level guys. It’s just unheard of. And his QB hit.

They’re not fucking around at 1265 right now. They’re nearing the apex of everything they’ve set out to do, and nothing is going to get in their way of finishing this climb.

I don’t know if the league is on notice, but they should be. The Packers leadership is fired the fuck up and bringing everything they have right now.

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2024, 10:32 PM
All that sounds good, but it might also be that LaFleur wanted to keep Barry and he got told, lose him or go with him.

run pMc
01-25-2024, 11:51 AM
All that sounds good, but it might also be that LaFleur wanted to keep Barry and he got told, lose him or go with him.

Only person who can do that is Murphy, and I don't think Murphy wants to meddle like that. Firing MLF would have been a big headline and a bad move, he called some good games in the latter part of the season and kept a young locker room together when they were in danger of circling the drain.
I doubt they would play that kind of brinksmanship.

I do wonder, based on Gute's comments after the draft, if there was some kind of discussion b/t Murphy, Gute and MLF about the defense last Spring along the lines of - we have a young offense, we have a lot of high draft picks on defense; if the defense can't hold the fort and win some games Barry has to go. It's fair to say by the 3/4 point of the season the offense was carrying the defense, not the other way around. Expectations for the defense were higher this year, and I don't think they performed significantly better.... getting a warning and still not meeting the expectations can be grounds for termination in a cutthroat field like coaching.

bobblehead
01-25-2024, 12:11 PM
It probably did if you consider it. Those MVPs were from individual stats. Stays he protected at the cost of not running the plays called or playing favorites on offense. The only goal is to win trophies not awards.

The one season we had the 2nd most efficient offense in the history of the NFL. That isn't an "individual stat". And it doesn't set a team back.

bobblehead
01-25-2024, 12:12 PM

His coaching skill set was just fine. He played in the NFL for a decade and was described as a coach on the field. He ran an NFL defense at Wisconsin. What "improvement" does he need?

red
01-25-2024, 05:11 PM
holy crap, i missed this because i've been in bed trying to die this whole week

great news

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 05:29 PM
holy crap, i missed this because i've been in bed trying to die this whole week

great news

Teamcheez1
01-25-2024, 07:03 PM
His coaching skill set was just fine. He played in the NFL for a decade and was described as a coach on the field. He ran an NFL defense at Wisconsin. What "improvement" does he need?

Point well taken, but he has no real experience coaching in the NFL. Is he even interested in the pro game? I don’t recall him interviewing for any recent position, or his name coming up.

CaptainKickass
01-25-2024, 07:06 PM
Point well taken, but he has no real experience coaching in the NFL. Is he even interested in the pro game? I don’t recall him interviewing for any recent position, or his name coming up.

Jim Leonhard was offered the DC job by LaFleur and if I recall was LaFleur's first/top choice for the DC position.

Alas, Jim turned the offer down and that's why we ended up with Joe Barry.

Reference:
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/06/jim-leonhard-explains-why-he-turned-down-packers-coordinator-offer/

Teamcheez1
01-26-2024, 09:00 AM
Barry is already interviewing with the Eagles and Bears for position coach openings.

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 11:57 AM
There is also a report that the Bears are interviewing Barry for DC position.

King Friday
01-26-2024, 12:19 PM
Can’t wait to play against him 2 times a year. Go for it Bears!

bobblehead
01-26-2024, 12:47 PM
Jim Leonhard was offered the DC job by LaFleur and if I recall was LaFleur's first/top choice for the DC position.

Alas, Jim turned the offer down and that's why we ended up with Joe Barry.

Reference:
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/06/jim-leonhard-explains-why-he-turned-down-packers-coordinator-offer/

All the reasons he had to turn it down no longer apply. He isn't with Madison any longer. Hopefully MiLF doesn't hold a stupid grudge. Staley could be a Rooney rule interview (does that apply to coordinators?). Just get Jimmy in the building please.

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 01:01 PM
All the reasons he had to turn it down no longer apply. He isn't with Madison any longer. Hopefully MiLF doesn't hold a stupid grudge. Staley could be a Rooney rule interview (does that apply to coordinators?). Just get Jimmy in the building please.

Leonhard interviewed for the position and then turned it down. He went public with the fact he was offered the job. In doing so, he forced MLF to offer the job to the guy everybody knew was his second choice. If MLF carries a grudge, it would be understandable. I wouldn't blame him one bit if doesn't interview Leonhard.

By the way, how does Staley satisfy the Rooney rule?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1VDesqTkUGifW9SK3qzlQVah3YAYk7 Y_jTAfiqtVsN4zCaNOCNnEC7p6nRDcVyy6IQDc&usqp=CAU

bobblehead
01-26-2024, 01:05 PM
Leonhard interviewed for the position and then turned it down. He went public with the fact he was offered the job. In doing so, he forced MLF to offer the job to the guy everybody knew was his second choice. If MLF carries a grudge, it would be understandable. I wouldn't blame him one bit if doesn't interview Leonhard.

By the way, how does Staley satisfy the Rooney rule?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1VDesqTkUGifW9SK3qzlQVah3YAYk7 Y_jTAfiqtVsN4zCaNOCNnEC7p6nRDcVyy6IQDc&usqp=CAU

Oops. Was thinking of Bowles who I was hoping would get fired. Maybe Staley identifies as black like the over tanned head coach of Miami.

RashanGary
01-26-2024, 04:00 PM
Oops. Was thinking of Bowles who I was hoping would get fired. Maybe Staley identifies as black like the over tanned head coach of Miami.

McDaniels identifies as black :lol:

Mahommes isn’t black. And that’s the cut off. Love really isn’t black, although sometimes he uses a fake black accent when he’s with the guys.

Joemailman
01-27-2024, 09:19 AM
Can’t wait to play against him 2 times a year. Go for it Bears!

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

The #Bears hired Eric Washington as their defensive coordinator, per source.

RashanGary
01-27-2024, 03:52 PM
Some guy from packaday podcast says sources indicate Christian Parker was offered the job. He’s in town and should be named coordinator.

Anonymous sources season is upon us.

Bretsky
01-27-2024, 05:05 PM
Some guy from packaday podcast says sources indicate Christian Parker was offered the job. He’s in town and should be named coordinator.

Anonymous sources season is upon us.

Underwhelming hire, if it happens, and VERY surprised Flower didn't bring in others for interviews and would just hire a J.A.G. on paper without running through a full process

RashanGary
01-27-2024, 06:39 PM
Underwhelming hire, if it happens, and VERY surprised Flower didn't bring in others for interviews and would just hire a J.A.G. on paper without running through a full process

Don’t you go clenching your butthole over an aggressive risk!!! Swing for the fences with a young alpha!

Bretsky
01-27-2024, 06:56 PM
Don’t you go clenching your butthole over an aggressive risk!!! Swing for the fences with a young alpha!

Stop Massaging Flower's nutsack and embrace some logic

What has this guy accomplished/credentiaisl that validate the risk ?

RashanGary
01-27-2024, 08:02 PM
Stop Massaging Flower's nutsack and embrace some logic

What has this guy accomplished/credentiaisl that validate the risk ?

He’s young and will relate well to the players. He’s a hard worker and a “star” in the profession according to those who worked with him. Youth lends itself to openmindedness and creativity. The quick mind of a younger person can be sharper calling plays. There are endless benefits to a young coordinator if you have the right man. And this guy has, “hardest worker, smartest guy in the room” alpha vibes. It’s so much better than a retread!

red
01-27-2024, 10:02 PM
god damn he's so young

just 3 years ago he was a on field "quality control" guy for us

does a guy whos only been a d-backs coach in college for a few years and a few more years in the pros no how to set up a whole D and call plays and all that good stuff?

that would be my big question

Bretsky
01-27-2024, 10:14 PM
He’s young and will relate well to the players. He’s a hard worker and a “star” in the profession according to those who worked with him. Youth lends itself to openmindedness and creativity. The quick mind of a younger person can be sharper calling plays. There are endless benefits to a young coordinator if you have the right man. And this guy has, “hardest worker, smartest guy in the room” alpha vibes. It’s so much better than a retread!

Your description; you could tie that to about 50 candidates we decide to hire

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2024, 11:50 PM
I sincerely doubt that dude was offered the job already. We shall see.

Bretsky
01-28-2024, 12:08 AM
honestly, I highly doubt it as well

It would be baffling to offer a guy like that, who really has no suitors, without doing more due dilligence and interviews.

Joemailman
01-28-2024, 09:23 AM
I think it's fair to say that the report that Parker has been offered the job was likely an overreaction to something the blogger had heard. None of the Packers beat writers or other bloggers have verified it. That's not to say Parker isn't a favorite to get the job. I suspect MLF has had his fill of "experienced defensive coordinators" and is looking for someone with some new ideas.

bobblehead
01-28-2024, 11:01 AM
Parker basically IS MiLF not so long ago. He toiled around with the Shannahans for a while and got a reputation as a pretty sharp kid. Became OC and then HC. Parker has toiled around the Fangio tree for a minute and has a reputation as a pretty sharp kid. I don't have a super strong opinion on him as I know so little. It could be a homerun hire. I had no idea who Evero was 3 years ago either.

run pMc
01-28-2024, 12:54 PM
Nobody has been hired. There have been interviews and that's it.

call_me_ishmael
01-28-2024, 03:23 PM
Parker basically IS MiLF not so long ago. He toiled around with the Shannahans for a while and got a reputation as a pretty sharp kid. Became OC and then HC. Parker has toiled around the Fangio tree for a minute and has a reputation as a pretty sharp kid. I don't have a super strong opinion on him as I know so little. It could be a homerun hire. I had no idea who Evero was 3 years ago either.

Yeah I guess if you frame it that way it's not that surprising. After all, this is only coordinator, not head coach. In a sense this is like going from QB coach to OC. Not uncommon or unexpected. I'm not saying this guy won't be great or aynthing like that, I have no clue! I would say that I would feel more comfortable with an unestablished young guy if they came up in an attacking like system like Baltimore where that is what they know and love. Culturally there is something that Baltimore is doing right that most other teams are not doing. I want to find a way to create that culture here - although I have no idea how.

Bretsky
01-28-2024, 04:00 PM
Wide and Tausch are convinced MLF really wants somebody who he feels he can hand the defenstive keys too and not worry (unlike BarryBall)

This is part of why this hire would Suprise me. With that being said, I would be fine with the hire if they did their due diligence and intereviewed some well qualified guys as well (StaleyIMO doesn't count)

If you jump and hire this guy w/o talking to the others...to me...would be kinda crazy and irresponsible

Fritz
01-28-2024, 05:26 PM
Hire Warby Parker now!

Or interview five more guys to make Bretsky happy, then hire Warby Parker.

New blood. New ideas. Energy. Relatability. Supposedly also very smart. Very adaptable - knows the Fangio stuff AND other kinds of defenses.

Get on board, Bretsky, cuz The Flower doesn't seem to be reaching out to Jim Leonhard.

Bretsky
01-28-2024, 05:30 PM
Hire Warby Parker now!

New blood. New ideas. Energy. Relatability. Supposedly also very smart. Very adaptable - knows the Fangio stuff AND other kinds of defenses.

Get on board, Bretsky, cuz The Flower doesn't seem to be reaching out to Jim Leonhard.

Just a pondering thought; Joe Barry on paper looked better a few years back than this guy :)

Fritz
01-28-2024, 06:02 PM
Just a pondering thought; Joe Barry on paper looked better a few years back than this guy :)

How do figure that? Cuz he’d DC’d two teams to shit defenses?

bobblehead
01-28-2024, 07:00 PM
Hire Warby Parker now!

Maybe he is courting Leonhard in the background which is why he hasn't hired anyone yet. Or maybe he is pissed and has no interest. We just can't know. One thing that seems pretty clear, Jimmy doesn't want to stray far from home. He wanted the top job at Madison. Even with Illinois he hasn't strayed far. I think he would take it if MiLF called, but I am speculating (based on all the information I have gathered though).

Fritz
01-30-2024, 06:15 AM

Wink Martindale was fired as the Giants’ DC; he seems to be attracting interest from other teams.

I don’t see anyone lining up to interview Joe Barely for a defensive coordinator position. Do you?

run pMc
01-30-2024, 07:47 AM
Wink Martindale was fired as the Giants’ DC; he seems to be attracting interest from other teams.

I don’t see anyone lining up to interview Joe Barely for a defensive coordinator position. Do you?

He has/had an interview with the Bears for the DC spot.

Fritz
01-30-2024, 10:43 AM
He has/had an interview with the Bears for the DC spot.

Interesting. I think Eberflus calls the defensive signals there.

I read an SI article claiming that Barry was a bad fit in Green Bay because he traditionally ran a Tampa 2 but The Flower wanted him to run something else, so it was a bad fit.

Or - does da Bears interviewing him prove my pretend point about Barry being so awful as a DC??