PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Want As Packers New DC?

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 10:47 AM
In the poll, I'll be using a list compiled by Andy Herman, with other as an option.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 11:12 AM
Chris Hewitt. Spent 9 years coaching secondary in Baltimore.

MadScientist
01-24-2024, 11:32 AM
Given that Weaver has the "assistant HC" title, he likely won't be let go for anything other than an HC position.

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 11:38 AM
Given that Weaver has the "assistant HC" title, he likely won't be let go for anything other than an HC position.

I think a lot depends on what happens in Baltimore. If MacDonald leaves, Weaver is likely next in line as DC. But if MacDonald stays, it's possible Harbaugh won't stop Weaver from pursuing A DC job if he wants to leave.

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2024, 12:02 PM
It's a tough choice. I might have said Vrabel, but I think he would only take a head coaching job. I honestly never heard of Hewitt, but I don't really like the idea of somebody whose experience is limited to one aspect, passing. Several of those older guys just seem to me to be lateral moves from Barry.

Aranda seemed to be a really good original thinker with the Badgers and apparently did a good job at LSU also. He didn't do nearly as good a job as Baylor HC. It seems to me that Jim Leonhard was a follower of Aranda but less innovative.

I recently watched the "Monk" movie ....... "I could be wrong now, but I don't think so".

Joe, I'm curious, why is Aranda's name in italics or whatever - different print style than the others?

George Cumby
01-24-2024, 01:25 PM
Too many choices and I know too little about most of them.

Some old school sexy names on there, but I don't know if the game has passed some of them by (Ryan, Zimmer)

I think I might lean towards someone less experienced but with fresher ideas who can communicate well who can relate to and LEAD the players.

Fosco33
01-24-2024, 01:55 PM
I didn’t care for Aranda at UW

Joemailman
01-24-2024, 02:34 PM
Jason B. Hirschhorn
@by_JBH

The Dolphins announce that Vic Fangio will not return as DC for the 2024 season.

Last offseason, Fangio reportedly signed a three-year deal worth more than $4.5 million annually. Given the new reports that the Eagles expect to land him, he'll probably earn even more this year.

BrokenArrow
01-24-2024, 02:58 PM
Johnny Holland

RashanGary
01-24-2024, 03:20 PM
One of the up and comers who is a first time DC

bobblehead
01-24-2024, 03:46 PM
Someone texted me that fangio got fired in Miami. Make him number two on my list behind Leonard

RashanGary
01-24-2024, 04:06 PM
I want a young up and comer. There is a huge culture change with the new generations, and Millenials have a better chance of reaching them than the older generations.

The guys who rise fast in the top defenses and are maybe 40 years old would be the guys I’d feel best with.

I think there is a ton of value in a first time coordinator. The excitement and ambition that comes with getting your chance is such a powerful motivator.

Bobby Babbich is getting interviewed in New York. Daboll got to work with him in Buffalo. McDermott just kept giving him more responsibilities in that defense.

He’s another name.

King Friday
01-24-2024, 04:15 PM
No retreads. Give a younger guy a chance. Someone who is hungry. Someone who can work 80+ hours a week with no hesitation.

RashanGary
01-24-2024, 04:27 PM
No retreads. Give a younger guy a chance. Someone who is hungry. Someone who can work 80+ hours a week with no hesitation.

Exactly!!! Even better if he has no wife and kids.

Bobby Babbich is 40 years old. Son of a college head coach. He’s been a football guy his whole life. I don’t see any wife or kids in the picture on his wiki profile.

He worked secondary under McDermott and Frazier in Buffalo and then was moved to linebackers, expanding his resume.

There’s no way to know if any of these guys have the eye of the tiger as a play caller, but this guy has a background that can’t be beat.

RashanGary
01-24-2024, 04:37 PM
They better get to interviews. We have a young, proven head coach. We have a young, exciting quarterback. We have some really nice defensive pieces.

We could easily be first choice for a lot of these young ambitious up and comers. Get in while you fit in because you don’t want to be sorting through scraps and hiring another old retread who can’t relate to the young players.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-24-2024, 07:14 PM
Bobby Babbich .

The Waterboy?

Bretsky
01-24-2024, 08:35 PM
Zimmer, Ryan, and, Martendale, Aranda, and Jimmy would be my fab list

QBME
01-24-2024, 09:03 PM
Other.
As another poster opined in an earlier thread, MLF is putting his thumb print on this team.
Gonna be out of left field.

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2024, 10:27 PM
This poll is "want". Maybe we need another about who you think it "will" be.

Bretsky, your favs, most of which are mine too, are generally blitz heavy. I kinda doubt that's the way LaFleur wants to go.

run pMc
01-25-2024, 11:44 AM
Want: DC who can think quickly and make rapid in-game adjustments
emphasize communication, fundamentals and tackling
tailors scheme to maximize players talents
develops assistant coaches and players

doesn't line corners 8 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 6. Not afraid to be aggressive and pressure to force a punt.

ultimately, a DC who can teach, implement, gameplan and call a defense that lands inside the top 12 or better (ideally top 8) in defensive metrics. Top 12 with this offense gets them pretty far into the playoffs, top 5 could get them to a SB win.

Who that is, I have no idea...but that's what I want.

Tony Oday
01-25-2024, 12:31 PM

doesn't line corners 8 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 6. Not afraid to be aggressive and pressure to force a punt.

ultimately, a DC who can teach, implement, gameplan and call a defense that lands inside the top 12 or better (ideally top 8) in defensive metrics. Top 12 with this offense gets them pretty far into the playoffs, top 5 could get them to a SB win.

This, literally all of this.

RashanGary
01-25-2024, 02:56 PM

Reasonable. We have no way of knowing who would be good or bad at it. We can check resumes, but there is no knowing. Being able to hear the interviews would give us a lot more information.

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 03:07 PM

Bretsky: "Hey! That's Jim Leonhard!"

Fosco33
01-25-2024, 03:21 PM
If I were a DC interviewing - I’d say I’ll never, ever run a prevent D or a bend but don’t break approach

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 06:41 PM
Time to fill out your bracket.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEuGqDtWUAAaLuS?format=png&name=large

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2024, 08:04 PM
You've got my top two choices paired against each other in the first round. I bet Bretsky says the same thing.

I count about 14 of those guys that I never heard of or at least don't know anything about.

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 08:12 PM
If I were a DC interviewing - I’d say I’ll never, ever run a prevent D or a bend but don’t break approach

I wouldn't go that far. There are times prevent makes sense, like a 3 score lead with 5 minutes left. Problem is at the end, Barry played prevent with a 4 point lead.

Joemailman
01-25-2024, 08:19 PM
You've got my top two choices paired against each other in the first round. I bet Bretsky says the same thing.

I count about 14 of those guys that I never heard of or at least don't know anything about.

I didn't make the bracket. :-D I agree, there are a lot of guys who don't sound familiar. Here, my guy Chris Hewitt would probably lose to Al Harris in the 4th round.

Bretsky
01-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Bretsky: "Hey! That's Jim Leonhard!"

YOU ARE F'CKIN RIGHT IT IS....

JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY

Vincenzo
01-26-2024, 01:53 AM
The Waterboy?
Jeez, there’s a stretch….Bobby Babbich as the next Defensive Coordinator in Green Bay.

BrokenArrow
01-26-2024, 08:34 AM
So sell me on Martindale. I see several people want him, no doubt based on when he was with the Ravens, but after 2 years with the Giants, his defense there was near the bottom in both yards and points allowed. Why do we want this guy?

RashanGary
01-26-2024, 09:20 AM
Brandon Staley being interviewed. Weird resume.

Small college defensive backs, linebackers and coordinator
Outside linebackers for Fangio for 3 years with no promotions
DC for Rams
HC of Chargers

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 09:38 AM

DC for Rams
HC of Chargers

Yeah, I don't know what to make of Staley. His 3 years with Fangio were with 2 different teams. 2017-18 with the Bears, 2019 with the Broncos. His 1 year as DC had the #1 defense. His defenses as HC weren't very good. Has never coached with LaFleur, although there is some crossover. Both coached with Barry and Evero. Not high on my list.

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 09:59 AM
Packers have faced Staley defenses twice. In the 2020 divisional round, Packers beat Rams 32-18. Aaron Rodgers passed for 296 yards and 2 TD's. Packers rushed for about 190 yards. In 2023 Packers beat the Chargers 23-20. Jordan Love threw for 322 yards and 2 TD's. Other than Jayden Reed, Packers did not have success running the ball.

Sparkey
01-26-2024, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I don't know what to make of Staley. His 3 years with Fangio were with 2 different teams. 2017-18 with the Bears, 2019 with the Broncos. His 1 year as DC had the #1 defense. His defenses as HC weren't very good. Has never coached with LaFleur, although there is some crossover. Both coached with Barry and Evero. Not high on my list.

Green Bays defense would be awesome with an in your prime Aaron Donald. If they hire Staley it will be more of the same shit with a slight change in smell.

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 11:01 AM
Green Bays defense would be awesome with an in your prime Aaron Donald. If they hire Staley it will be more of the same shit with a slight change in smell.

In his defense, the year after he left the Rams, they went from #1 defense to #15 defense. Donald was still in his prime. I'm not for Staley, but there was more to it than just Donald.

bobblehead
01-26-2024, 11:10 AM

DC for Rams
HC of Chargers

https://lombardiave.com/posts/packers-defensive-coordinator-target-proves-matt-lafleur-learned-nothing

This is about the dumbest thing he could do.

Fosco33
01-26-2024, 11:26 AM
This is a good read on Jimmy

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jim-leonhards-defense-is-the-dream-fit-for-the-philadelphia-eagles/

BrokenArrow
01-26-2024, 11:30 AM
https://lombardiave.com/posts/packers-defensive-coordinator-target-proves-matt-lafleur-learned-nothing

This is about the dumbest thing he could do.

They're not the same guy.

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 11:43 AM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Former Chargers’ HC Brandon Staley is meeting today with the Packers about their defensive coordinator job, is scheduled to meet with the Dolphins about their DC vacancy this weekend, and has drawn interest from the Rams about being a potential Raheem Morris replacement, per sources.

bobblehead
01-26-2024, 12:28 PM
They're not the same guy.

Agree. Barry might be smarter

call_me_ishmael
01-26-2024, 12:32 PM
In his defense, the year after he left the Rams, they went from #1 defense to #15 defense. Donald was still in his prime. I'm not for Staley, but there was more to it than just Donald.

They also had a prime Jalen Ramsey. What they did seem to do was create off-ball linebackers out of nowhere. How many of those dudes went and got fat contracts? Could be Aaron Donald getting triple teamed though.

I don't want any part of Staley to be honest. I would much rather have someone who is gonna blitz your booty off and man up.

BrokenArrow
01-26-2024, 12:36 PM
Agree. Barry might be smarter

You REALLY think that? YGTBFKM

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 01:13 PM
been hearing about this name a lot:

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

The #Packers requested permission to interview #Bills LB coach Bobby Babich for their defensive coordinator job, source says. Babich, who recently interviewed with the #Giants for the same role, will meet with Green Bay.

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 01:15 PM
Todd Archer
@toddarcher

Green Bay, the Los Angeles Rams and Atlanta have sought permission to speak to Cowboys defensive line coach Aden Durde, per multiple sources. He has been with the team since 2021, having spent 5 years with Dan Quinn in Atlanta, where he also worked with new coach Raheem Morris.

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 01:18 PM
So far:

Brandon Staley
Bobby Babich - Buffalo LB coach
Aden Durde - Dallas DL coach

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 01:55 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Packers have interviewed rising #Broncos DBs coach Christian Parker for their vacant defensive coordinator job, source said. Just 32 years old, Parker has impressed. He was with the Packers previously.

Green Bay Packers
Parker was hired as a defensive quality control coach for the Green Bay Packers in 2019.[4] While with Green Bay, he assisted defensive coordinator Mike Pettine in breaking down film on opponents and coordinating the scout team.[5]

Denver Broncos
Parker was named the defensive backs coach for the Denver Broncos on February 8, 2021.

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 01:57 PM
So far:

Brandon Staley
Christian Parker - Denver DB coach

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 02:05 PM
More on Christian Parker: He was worked under some very good coaches in a short time.

Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

Former Packers QC under Mike Pettine then went to Denver under Vic Fangio. Stayed for Nathaniel Hackett under Evero, and survived that to stay under Payton/Joseph.

Zach Kruse
@zachkruse2

Vance Joseph on Christian Parker from June, via the Denver Post: “He’s smart, he works his butt off, and his players love playing for him. He’s a star.”

Vincenzo
01-26-2024, 02:08 PM
So far:

Brandon Staley
Thanks Joe the Mailman, this is actually very big news.
Way to keep us informed.

Wish we had Jim Leonhard on that skinny list so far.

Vincenzo
01-26-2024, 02:20 PM
The goal is to get that San Fran monkey of our back.
Teams get stymied by some teams, look at the Bills trying to beat KC, or the Cowboys trying to beat us.

BrokenArrow
01-26-2024, 02:56 PM
Can we maybe interview Johnny Holland?

RashanGary
01-26-2024, 03:44 PM
I just want to say, I went through the top 5 defenses from this year and narrowed down young guys who were getting promoted fast and found Babich before he was listed anywhere as a coordinator prospect.

RashanGary
01-26-2024, 03:54 PM
Vrable (a defensive coach) took on Lafleur as a young first time coordinator who had never called plays and gave him full reigns of an offense. If anyone should understand the value of a hungry up and comer, it’s Lafleur. I hope he doesn’t do the safe thing and hire a retread.

It really is a different world interacting with these young people. When we were young, there was an expectation of respect for older people and we kind of knew we had a lot to learn. The new generation think they have arrived and there is a gentle way to handle them that we as older people just aren’t equipped.

RashanGary
01-26-2024, 04:51 PM
Christian Parker

32 years old

College defensive backs coach
Defensive assistant packers 2019-2020
Broncos Defensive backs coach 2021-2023

That’s a young up and comer right there. I’d love to see a young, hungry guy who can relate to the 23 year olds as our DC.

Let him bring whoever he wants with him, but worst case we have

Montgomery with experience on DL
Olivodoti with LB experience
And
Rebrovich - pass rush experience

I think that back end is where most of the scheming, play calling and strategy comes into play so most coordinators have background in defensive backs.

RashanGary
01-26-2024, 05:06 PM
Ed Donatell was with Fangio from 2015-2021 (Bears and Broncos) and he remained coordinator when Fangio left. Christian Parker’s primary NFL experience is with Donatell who has a defensive backs coach background. Donatells most recent influence is Fangio who had a linebackers background.

It would make sense that Parker’s biggest strength is coordinating the back 7. Additionally, you would expect him to have that youthful ambition along with having more of that young, quick minded edge that I think applies well to play calling and adjusting on the fly.

We have experienced coaches on our DL and Linebacker level who would be able to fill in his lack of experience in those areas and allow him to shine in what could be his strongest areas.

Of the guys listed, he’s the guy I would be most excited about. Take a home run swing. Don’t play it safe by slapping a single away from the rotation. Take a big fucking swing and win this thing.

King Friday
01-26-2024, 05:54 PM
Thanks Joe the Mailman, this is actually very big news.
Way to keep us informed.

Wish we had Jim Leonhard on that skinny list so far.

I’m guessing Lafleur already has a strong opinion on him. No need to rush to bring him in again. He’s looking to see who else should truly be in consideration.

Bretsky
01-26-2024, 06:41 PM
Vrable (a defensive coach) took on Lafleur as a young first time coordinator who had never called plays and gave him full reigns of an offense. If anyone should understand the value of a hungry up and comer, it’s Lafleur. I hope he doesn’t do the safe thing and hire a retread.

It really is a different world interacting with these young people. When we were young, there was an expectation of respect for older people and we kind of knew we had a lot to learn. The new generation think they have arrived and there is a gentle way to handle them that we as older people just aren’t equipped.

Vrable and Matty don't care for each other at all.

No way is that a match

RashanGary
01-26-2024, 07:04 PM
Vrable and Matty don't care for each other at all.

No way is that a match

That’s not what I meant. I meant Lafleur got a chance as a first time coordinator. He should be open to bring in a young up and comer.

I don’t want Vrable or Cheat or really anyone much over 40. I want one of the youngest coordinators in the league, a guy who can relate the this ridiculous new generation.

Joemailman
01-26-2024, 08:57 PM
Here is a list of DC candidates around the league. https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024/1/24/24049761/2024-nfl-defensive-coordinator-interview-tracker-updates-green-bay-packers-news-rumors

No mention of Leonhard. Is he even pursuing an NFL job? Is he blacklisted because he was offered the Packers job and then turned it down? Or is it still early?

Bretsky
01-26-2024, 09:10 PM
That’s not what I meant. I meant Lafleur got a chance as a first time coordinator. He should be open to bring in a young up and comer.

I don’t want Vrable or Cheat or really anyone much over 40. I want one of the youngest coordinators in the league, a guy who can relate the this ridiculous new generation.

at least I'd want somebody who has shown success as a DC, either at a dominant college or NFL level.

I don't wanna throw darts at one of all these young guys like the Milwaukee Bucks did

call_me_ishmael
01-26-2024, 09:46 PM
Here is a list of DC candidates around the league. https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024/1/24/24049761/2024-nfl-defensive-coordinator-interview-tracker-updates-green-bay-packers-news-rumors

No mention of Leonhard. Is he even pursuing an NFL job? Is he blacklisted because he was offered the Packers job and then turned it down? Or is it still early?

Could be blacklisted since he went to the media. I saw that on Apckers Transplants.

Bretsky
01-27-2024, 10:54 AM
STUD LIST

Rey Ryan (and bring in Jimmy as a coach to assist)
Mike Zimmer
JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY (Hope Flower does not neglect him since he turned it down once; sounds like Phily wanted him last year)
Wink Martindal
Ejaro Evero (he's clearly my #5 but my view of him has grown to where I'd be happy with him)

I THINK these are guys above who you can hand the keys to the defense and let them run the show

Bretsky
01-27-2024, 11:01 AM
Guys I really don't want at this point

STALEY----You are getting a guy here who is friends with MLF and to be honest has run a very similar defense to Barryball. He's a hard pass for me

Up and Comers---Truth be Told, I just don't have a ton of faith in our ability to select an upcoming stud DC so I want somebody who's been there/done that and you hand the keys to. The MIlwuakee Bucks through they struck gold; but he was junk. Don't wanna take the chance

bobblehead
01-27-2024, 01:35 PM
You REALLY think that? YGTBFKM

What is that? Are you the zodiac killer? Staley had ONE season of success with the Rams. He has been an abject failure with the chargers. His defenses have been bad even with some really good talent. I REALLY don't know which one is smarter. I also don't REALLY know which one is a better coordinator. What I do know is there are far better options than either one.

Joemailman
01-27-2024, 02:18 PM
Andrew Mertig
@andrewmertig

Based on two separate sources, Christian Parker is currently in Green Bay, and I’m being led to believe has been offered the Green Bay DC job. No word on if it has been accepted.

RashanGary
01-27-2024, 03:55 PM
Andrew Mertig
@andrewmertig

Based on two separate sources, Christian Parker is currently in Green Bay, and I’m being led to believe has been offered the Green Bay DC job. No word on if it has been accepted.

Id feel really good about this hire. Risky, but I like risky!

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Meh, I am with Bretsky, just not a fan of draft-and-develop for a coordinator. F'ing this up sets them back a couple years. Lots of guys can look competent but turtle up when the pressure is on. You need someone that has proven to not turtle up because 90% of the time who the coach is doesn't matter.

Joemailman
01-27-2024, 04:21 PM
Some information on Parker. https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024/1/27/24052968/green-bay-packers-christian-parker-defensive-coordinator-news-rumors-resume-coaching-history-broncos

Joemailman
01-27-2024, 04:56 PM
Patriots had interviewed Parker, but have promoted their DL coach, DeMarcus Covington to DC.

Bretsky
01-27-2024, 04:58 PM
Some information on Parker. https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024/1/27/24052968/green-bay-packers-christian-parker-defensive-coordinator-news-rumors-resume-coaching-history-broncos

IF that report is true, and GB only chose to interview "these" 4 defensive coordinator candidates, and offered this guy without even interviewing other candidates that are far more qualified...well.....Flower, that a serious F'CK UP.

It sounds like 2 teams have requested interviews for him. The Patriots, who didn't hire him, and Green Bay. Not too overwhelming.

I'm going to wait and see; I absolutely don't want Staley.

But I have no idea what this guy has over Al Harris, or Joe Whitt, neither of which I really want either.

Bretsky
01-27-2024, 05:02 PM
What is that? Are you the zodiac killer? Staley had ONE season of success with the Rams. He has been an abject failure with the chargers. His defenses have been bad even with some really good talent. I REALLY don't know which one is smarter. I also don't REALLY know which one is a better coordinator. What I do know is there are far better options than either one.

BIGGER QUESTION

Maybe the Flower doesn't want a big personality to lead this defense. Maybe the guys he's considering are guys he's friends with (Staley) or guys who are considered risers, but not that qualified on paper.

It takes a confident coach to hire somebody whose overqualified, maybe just as qualified on defense as Matty is on Offense.

Holmgen never seemed afraid of that.

Not many coaching trees seems to be branching off any GB Head Coach since Holmgren

MadScientist
01-27-2024, 06:33 PM
Here's another article on Parker https://theathletic.com/3053746/2022/01/06/never-satisfied-how-first-year-broncos-db-coach-christian-parker-pushed-a-talented-secondary/?amp=1

By the sound of it, he has a lot of good qualities, and experience with multiple schemes. I would have liked them to at least check out the Baltimore guys, but he should be a good DC.

RashanGary
01-27-2024, 06:36 PM

I like it a lot. There is a huge amount of disdain and disrespect toward 50 year old white guys from the younger generations. This is a young, black alpha. Smartest guy in the room type, hardest worker. He has traits that naturally appeal to the young players. He’s young. He’s smart. He’s black. This is how to reach this crowd. This is the guy!!

Bretsky
01-27-2024, 06:58 PM
I like it a lot. There is a huge amount of disdain and disrespect toward 50 year old white guys from the younger generations. This is a young, black alpha. Smartest guy in the room type, hardest worker. He has traits that naturally appeal to the young players. He’s young. He’s smart. He’s black. This is how to reach this crowd. This is the guy!!

I don't care if he's white or black; it's kind of warped that you'd point that out in either a positive or negative manner. I just want a great DC

RashanGary
01-27-2024, 08:05 PM
I don't care if he's white or black; it's kind of warped that you'd point that out in either a positive or negative manner. I just want a great DC

There is this disdain i see on social media toward 50 year old white guys. I just think there is more trust from younger people toward youger people, and non white people.

I mean, white guys are kinda ass holes a lot of the time. Lack empathy, etc.

RashanGary
01-27-2024, 08:08 PM
If you spend any amount of time on Twitter, some black guy will say, hey, I’m so proud to be the first of my family to do this and the first black guy on this spot.

And it never fails, 50 year old white guys with Oakley’s telling the guy to shut the fuck up about the race card. Maybe they’re bots, but there is huge mistrust from the way these morons talk on social media.

Joemailman
01-27-2024, 08:40 PM
Parker, if he gets the job, will be a bold and exciting pick. He's worked under several coordinators in a short time. Mike Pettine in 2019-2020, Fangio/Donatell in 2021, Ejiro Evero in 2022 and Vance Joseph in 2023. He must have had some good reviews for Fangio to hire him as DB coach in 2021 after only 2 years in the NFL.

His connection to the Packers was probably through Notre Dame. He coached there in 2017 and LaFleur coached there in 2014.

He had a role with the Broncos in 2023 that involved more than just coaching DB's:

So what kind of a coach is Parker and what would he run in Green Bay, if he were named the team’s defensive coordinator? There isn’t that much information about the 32-year-old who has yet to call plays at any level, but a few reports shed light on how well-regarded he is in Denver.

One of these comes from Taylor Kyles, a Patriots beat reporter, who had a conversation with Robby Davis, who covers the Broncos. According to Davis, Parker was key to transitioning the defense from the Fangio-style defense to the scheme that Joseph wanted to run in Denver. The Packers saw the mid-season improvement from the Broncos first-hand, as they were held to just 17 points only four games after Denver allowed 70 points to the Miami Dolphins in Week 3.

Vance Joseph speaks highly of him:

“He’s sharp, man,” current defensive coordinator Vance Joseph said of Parker on June 14. “He’s sharp. He’s a star. He is a great partner to work with. As a veteran coach, I’ve coordinated for about seven years now. My tape is out there, so I’m looking for ways to do different things.

“[I’ve been] speaking with Christian every day and bouncing ideas off him from what he’s done with Vic [Fangio] and guys in the past has been fun. [We’re] making changes and growing off what they did last year. He’s smart, he works his butt off and his players love playing for him. He’s a star.”

RashanGary
01-27-2024, 09:25 PM
https://x.com/itszacharyj/status/1751342893959200943?s=46&t=nQImf8h3Oxzq2_jOx_kBGw

50 year old white dudes on Twitter. Reasons the younger generations hate older white dudes.

Joemailman
01-27-2024, 11:17 PM
https://x.com/itszacharyj/status/1751342893959200943?s=46&t=nQImf8h3Oxzq2_jOx_kBGw

50 year old white dudes on Twitter. Reasons the younger generations hate older white dudes.

Nothing like Twitter to get a balanced view of what an entire generation thinks.

bobblehead
01-28-2024, 11:08 AM
Id feel really good about this hire. Risky, but I like risky!

Yea, I've been doing a little reading. I like the fact that he survived 3 HC and 3 DC in Denver and he is the guy they don't want to let go. I don't think much of Vance Joseph as a coach, but it sounds like he latched onto this kid as the voice he listens to. Usually guys like Joseph survive by recognizing who is smarter than they are and utilizing that. I'm almost hoping he is the guy now that I have done some research on him this morning.

bobblehead
01-28-2024, 11:15 AM

Or their could be a ton of other reasons. But this is an issue for FYI, not for here. Bottom line is that some guys relate to players and some don't. Does Parker, who never played relate better than Leonhard who toiled for a decade? I have found that if what you say is smart, thought out and intelligent than the audience appreciates it....regardless of the audience. (yes, I realize that isn't always what I do.)

Teamcheez1
01-28-2024, 11:41 AM
Leonhard may not be considering a jump to the NFL. With all the coordinator and position coach jobs available, someone with his experience would at least be able to garner interviews and likely be hired somewhere.

Since it has been largely silent, he must not be interested. There are way too many jobs for his name not to come up.

Joemailman
01-28-2024, 12:00 PM
Leonhard may not be considering a jump to the NFL. With all the coordinator and position coach jobs available, someone with his experience would at least be able to garner interviews and likely be hired somewhere.

Since it has been largely silent, he must not be interested. There are way too many jobs for his name not to come up.

Or maybe after he turned down the Packers DC job, NFL teams questioned the level of his desire to coach in the NFL. Maybe nobody wants him.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-28-2024, 12:22 PM
Or maybe after he turned down the Packers DC job, NFL teams questioned the level of his desire to coach in the NFL. Maybe nobody wants him.

Maybe it's time to change
And leave it all behind
I've…been one to walk alone
I've always been scared to try
So why does it feel so wrong
To reach for something more
To wanna live a better life
What am I waiting for?
'Cause nothing stays the same
(Sick Puppies)

Oh wait, you’re talking bout Leonhard, not some 41 year old burger flipping loser.

Joemailman
01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
And leave it all behind
I've…been one to walk alone
I've always been scared to try
So why does it feel so wrong
To reach for something more
To wanna live a better life
What am I waiting for?
'Cause nothing stays the same
(Sick Puppies)

Oh wait, you’re talking bout Leonhard, not some 41 year old burger flipping loser.

Leonhard is 41. Maybe he's flipping burgers for Bret Bielema.

Fritz
01-28-2024, 05:18 PM
Guys I really don't want at this point

STALEY----You are getting a guy here who is friends with MLF and to be honest has run a very similar defense to Barryball. He's a hard pass for me

Up and Comers---Truth be Told, I just don't have a ton of faith in our ability to select an upcoming stud DC so I want somebody who's been there/done that and you hand the keys to. The MIlwuakee Bucks through they struck gold; but he was junk. Don't wanna take the chance

I am in the exact opposite camp. I'm tired of retreads, of guys running defenses that worked ten years ago but don't any more. The Packers need someone who can mix-and-match, adjust on the fly, zone and man, know when to blitz and when not to, understand that offenses have evolved and players play at a much higher level on offense than they did fifteen or twenty years ago. QB's dont' make the kinds of mistakes they made twenty years ago, at least not as often. The bend-but-don't-break don't work no more.

Besides, Bretsky, you used to drool if the Packers were interested in anyone the Patriots had interviewed. You thought the Patriots walked on water. And the Pats interviewed this guy.

I do think offenses perform at a higher, more consistent level than they did twenty years ago. You can't wait around for them to make a mistake by letting them slow-walk it (or in Barry's case fast-walk it) down the field.

As for the "hating-50-year-old-white-guys" thing, once you hit sixty, you're like everybody's grandpa and it's all good. So maybe hiring Rex Ryan could work out, too. But I'd like the young buck.
Man, I am fired up for a young guy. Besides, the Flower seems to do better hiring young, unproven guys (Stenavich) than retreads (Barry). So let's go big and let the kid do it. Warby Parker it is, baby! Hire that guy!

Joemailman
01-28-2024, 05:26 PM
Staley is a strange case. He was made a HC in his 5th year in the NFL. Not sure if he was overrated, or if he is a talented guy who was promoted too quickly.

Fritz
01-28-2024, 06:03 PM
Either way, no thank to him. Go big - The Floer’s best hires have been young, mostly unproven guys.

red
01-28-2024, 06:55 PM
so whats the over under on how many years parker is here if we hire him, and if he's good

my guess is if him or any other young DCs turns out to be the next big thing, you're only gonna have him for maybe 2 years before someone hires him to be a HC

one of the downsides of hiring young unproven guys. with some of the other older guys, theyve had their chances at HCing and blew it, so no one is gonna come and take them away

RashanGary
01-28-2024, 07:17 PM
so whats the over under on how many years parker is here if we hire him, and if he's good

my guess is if him or any other young DCs turns out to be the next big thing, you're only gonna have him for maybe 2 years before someone hires him to be a HC

one of the downsides of hiring young unproven guys. with some of the other older guys, theyve had their chances at HCing and blew it, so no one is gonna come and take them away

Good point. Best case we have an elite defense and in three years he’s the best young HC candidate in the NfL. Kind of takes the luster of that best case scenario we’re all getting fired up about.

Joemailman
01-28-2024, 07:32 PM
If the new DC does his job well enough that he gets HC job, I think Packers will win an Owl. I'll take it.

call_me_ishmael
01-28-2024, 09:26 PM
If the new DC does his job well enough that he gets HC job, I think Packers will win an Owl. I'll take it.

Exactly this.

smuggler
01-28-2024, 09:35 PM
I like the Ravens guy, but I honestly have no strong preference.

Fritz
01-29-2024, 07:05 AM
I like the Ravens guy, but I honestly have no strong preference.

The Ravens’ defense held up really well against the Queefs, even though the D was out on the field forever because Lamar Jackson was pooping his pants in another big game. And their offensive coordinator forgot that a running back can carry the ball sometimes, too.

SudsMcBucky
01-29-2024, 08:17 AM
The Ravens’ defense held up really well against the Queefs, even though the D was out on the field forever because Lamar Jackson was pooping his pants in another big game. And their offensive coordinator forgot that a running back can carry the ball sometimes, too.

That was shocking to me too, especially considering how he ran his O's at Georgia.

RashanGary
01-29-2024, 08:54 AM
Lamar should have been running the ball. He could get 5 yards every drop back if he wanted it. But he has to prove he’s a passer and now he’s at home like the rest of us.

Joemailman
01-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Probably going to hear about some more interviews today. Maybe the Baltimore guys. Maybe Chris Harris, who MLF interviewed for DC in 2021.

Fritz
01-29-2024, 01:32 PM
Probably going to hear about some more interviews today. Maybe the Baltimore guys. Maybe Chris Harris, who MLF interviewed for DC in 2021.

Chris Harris: Yeah, not our first interview together, Matty. How'd that work out for you, not picking me in '21?

LeFleur: NEXT!

Bretsky
01-29-2024, 09:23 PM
interesting hearing Wilde and Tausch today; I listed to the 10AM portion where they hit on DC's.

Tausch now wants GB to hire Rex Ryan and Jimmy Jimmy

Wilde still wants Evero and also thinks MFL wants him as well but he might not be available

Both noted while they said GB might hire Parker, there were no credible sources who actually was reporting he was the guy. Also noted none of the Green Bay Packer writers who have people inside the building as sources....thought there was any crediblity to the idea GB offered him.

Both noted he still might be the hire, BUT .....neither believed he's been offered the job and both think Flower wants to chat with a lot of guys

call_me_ishmael
01-29-2024, 11:32 PM
Why would Rex Ryan leave his cozy TV gig for maybe equal money, more stress, way longer hours? God I would LOVE it though.

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 08:17 AM
Another Ravens coach in the mix:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Packers requested to speak with #Ravens secondary coach Dennard Wilson for their vacant defensive coordinator job, source said. He's also interviewing with the #Titans today for their DC job, and the #Rams and #Giants have talked to him, as well.

So far:

Brandon Staley
Dennard Wilson - Baltimore secondary coach

Wilson was a defensive quality control assistant for the Rams from 2012-14, the defensive backs coach for the Rams from 2015-16, the defensive backs coach for the New York Jets from 2017-18, the passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Jets from 2019-20, the defensive backs coach for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2021, the passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Eagles in 2022 and the Ravens defensive backs coach in 2023.

SudsMcBucky
01-30-2024, 09:01 AM
Another Ravens coach in the mix:

Wilson was a defensive quality control assistant for the Rams from 2012-14, the defensive backs coach for the Rams from 2015-16, the defensive backs coach for the New York Jets from 2017-18, the passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Jets from 2019-20, the defensive backs coach for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2021, the passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Eagles in 2022 and the Ravens defensive backs coach in 2023.

Now, if we're looking to go get an unproven DC, THIS is the type of resume I'd be looking for versus the guy from Denver. Coaching for multiple successful D's. Longer track record. On a team with one of the best D's this year.

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 09:12 AM
Bobby DePaul
@bobby_depaul

Sometimes the league just does the evaluation for you! Dennard Wilson is the top secondary coach in the NFL and people from around the NFL are finally waking up and recognizing his “It Factor”. Whoever gets him will win big based off all the analytics and the tape watching! A clean sweep!

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 09:17 AM
Ravens Again:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

The #Packers requested to interview #Ravens ILB coach Zach Orr for Green Bay’s defensive coordinator position, per source. Orr is a former Ravens LB who is projected as a DC very soon. Orr has been a close lieutenant to Mike Macdonald in Baltimore.

So far:

Brandon Staley
Zach Orr - Baltimore ILB coach

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2024, 09:21 AM
Zach Orr was a Badger too, no? I love looking at the Ravens folks. I'd much prefer those who have experience in that culture than someone from the Broncos.

Edit: nope, must have been a different Orr. I like that Zach Orr was an all-pro in 2016 before retiring due to injury. I also like that he did not have prototype size/speed, so he must have been very instinctive and smart. Wilson or Orr seem like good hires to me.

ThunderDan
01-30-2024, 09:23 AM
Zach Orr was a Badger too, no? I love looking at the Ravens folks. I'd much prefer those who have experience in that culture than someone from the Broncos.

I have to agree with the culture comment. BAL has been known for defense for a long time. Let's get that in our building and start adopting that mind set.

ThunderDan
01-30-2024, 09:25 AM
I have to agree with the culture comment. BAL has been known for defense for a long time. Let's get that in our building and start adopting that mind set.

I'm sick of what seems to have been our mindset in the last couple of decades. We just need to play well enough on D to let BF and ARod to outscore the other team.

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 09:32 AM
Orr is another very young candidate. At 31, a year younger than Parker. Under his coaching, Roquan Smith and Patrick Queen have been as good as any ILB pair in the NFL. Queen especially has really improved with Orr as coach.

Coaching career

Baltimore Ravens
On January 31, 2017, Orr began his coaching career and was hired by the Baltimore Ravens as a defensive analyst under head coach John Harbaugh. This came 11 days after announcing his second retirement.[9]

Jacksonville Jaguars
On February 11, 2021, Orr was hired by the Jacksonville Jaguars as their outside linebackers coach under head coach Urban Meyer.[10]

Baltimore Ravens (second stint)
On February 23, 2022, Orr was hired by the Baltimore Ravens as their inside linebackers coach under head coach John Harbaugh.[11]

Personal life

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 10:30 AM

Edit: nope, must have been a different Orr. I like that Zach Orr was an all-pro in 2016 before retiring due to injury. I also like that he did not have prototype size/speed, so he must have been very instinctive and smart. Wilson or Orr seem like good hires to me.

Zach Orr's younger brother Chris played at Wisconsin.

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 10:39 AM
Andrew Mertig
@andrewmertig

Andrew Mertig
@andrewmertig

Well, based on the new round of interviews this appears to be incorrect. I do apologize for anyone who was misled. This was a legit team source, so I’ll try to follow up and see what happened. But at the end of the day I was clearly wrong to post it. To clarify a few things I’m not “chasing clout”. I don’t care about followers or getting my name out there. I’m not trying to gain followers or monetize anything. I had some info that seemed correct, I didn’t expect it to blow up, and now it appears like it may have blown up in my face.

Fritz
01-30-2024, 10:47 AM
I am glad that MLF seems to have no real foregone conclusions - this seems like it's wide open, and I like that.

I'm up for a younger guy with some new ideas about attacking offenses, and teaching his players to tackle well. I know so little about these guys I can have no real opinion as to which one is going to be the best fit as DC. I went with Christian "Warby" Parker simply because he was the first "new unknown" guy they interviewed.

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 12:01 PM
Cross one off MLF's list:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Bills are promoting LBs coach Bobby Babich to be their new defensive coordinator, sources tell me and
@MikeGarafolo

Babich has worked his way up in Buffalo since 2017, now lands in a prime job for Sean McDermott.

Brandon Staley
Bobby Babich - Buffalo LB coach - Staying with Buffalo - promoted to DC
Zach Orr - Baltimore ILB coach

RashanGary
01-30-2024, 12:22 PM
I hope Babbich gets to call plays. He could come here and have the whole defense to himself. I know Mcdermott has given up play calling duties before, so who maybe Babbich will have the full job.

But I think being DC with an offensive minded HC is a better resume builder.

Joemailman
01-30-2024, 01:21 PM
Now, if we're looking to go get an unproven DC, THIS is the type of resume I'd be looking for versus the guy from Denver. Coaching for multiple successful D's. Longer track record. On a team with one of the best D's this year.

I agree. Wilson is a good combination of relative youth (he's 41) and experience. Not tied to one defensive scheme. With all the different jobs he's had, should have a good roster of potential assistants he'd like to work with in mind.

bobblehead
01-30-2024, 06:43 PM
Why would Rex Ryan leave his cozy TV gig for maybe equal money, more stress, way longer hours? God I would LOVE it though.

He took an interview in 2022. Coaches wanna coach.

Sparkey
01-31-2024, 01:15 PM
Babbich promoted to Buffalo D.C. Scratch him off the list.

BrokenArrow
01-31-2024, 01:51 PM
Seattle just hired Mike McDonald. Wilson and Orr might be gone too.

red
01-31-2024, 06:15 PM
congrats to Fritz, QBME, RashanGary for winning by not having the sack to pick anyone from that huge long list of names

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 06:54 PM
I voted other. I forgot to mention Jeff Halvely was my guy.

Bretsky
01-31-2024, 07:44 PM
Poll Failure when you list about 30 guys and you still don't have the hire :))))

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 07:49 PM
Poll Failure when you list about 30 guys and you still don't have the hire :))))

We're limited to 20 options. But it could have been 50 and I wouldn't have had him on there. Nobody saw this coming.

MadtownPacker
02-01-2024, 09:52 AM
About how it went for you experts…

https://imagez-tmz-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/imagez.tmz.com/image/76/4by3/2024/01/29/76fe55ed896f482f9ff697cade48fbb9_md.jpg

bobblehead
02-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Not sure it went that well to be honest.

Joemailman
02-01-2024, 12:39 PM
Zach Orr, who the Packers interviewed, named new Ravens DC.

Fritz
02-01-2024, 03:27 PM
That was probably in the cards already, though, right?

Boy, nobody saw this coming. That name never popped up, not once. Either MLF has locked down the leaks coming out of 1265, or he didn't even know himself until he decided. Hell, did he even interview the guy live? Did they do a Facetime interview, then MLF said "you're hired"?

My one line of hopefulness is that the guy is an unknown (to us), as was one of MLF's best offensive line coach hires, Adam Stenavich. So maybe . . .

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2024, 05:14 PM
I wonder who McCarthy is gonna pick for DC in Dallas. Certainly not Joe Barry hahahahaha.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-02-2024, 12:40 AM
I wonder who McCarthy is gonna pick for DC in Dallas. Certainly not Joe Barry hahahahaha.

I was gonna say former Pack DB coach, Joe Whitt Jr., but looks like Whitt is now DC of the Redcoats.

Fritz
02-02-2024, 08:08 AM
I do wonder - does anyone here know how the interview thing with Hafley went down? Honestly, when did they even interview him? Was it in GB or was it Facetime? How'd The Flower keep this one so secret right up until the hiring?

texaspackerbacker
02-02-2024, 10:38 AM
My grandson told me he heard on Dallas sports radio that Jerry Jones is trying to hire Belichick - not to replace McCarthy, but as his Def. Coordinator.

Joemailman
02-02-2024, 10:52 AM
I do wonder - does anyone here know how the interview thing with Hafley went down? Honestly, when did they even interview him? Was it in GB or was it Facetime? How'd The Flower keep this one so secret right up until the hiring?

Don't know if they met in person. But it's possible they kept it quiet for Hafley's benefit. He may not have wanted it known, for recruiting purposes, that he was interviewing for another job until he was sure he had the job. But I've also heard that there were people interviewed whose names were never reported on, including Wink Martindale. MLF may have wanted to keep things secret to avoid a repeat of 2021 where it became public after hiring Barry that Barry was actually his 2nd choice.

Fritz
02-02-2024, 02:23 PM
And it sounds like maybe Jim Leonhard might've burned some bridges, turning it down the first time. Or maybe The Flower kept it all secret.

Bretsky
02-02-2024, 05:54 PM

Odds ok he might have known this was coming.

Bretsky
02-02-2024, 06:02 PM
And it sounds like maybe Jim Leonhard might've burned some bridges, turning it down the first time. Or maybe The Flower kept it all secret.

It sure seemed like it. I'm very mixed on the hire. His job seemed on the line at Boston College before the season. But I also know some prick fans form Ohio State and they worship this guy.

So I don't know what to think. I too hated the Joe Barry hire from DAY ONE. I don't really know enough about this guy to love it or hate it so I need a year or two to develop my warped views.

On one shoulder, the little man is screaming....exotic blitz packages.....Man to Man coverage is great for Jaire....pressure pressure pressure. Great Hire

On the other, another little man screams. JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY, and it's pretty irresponsible not to at least interview some of the experienced DC's who have already had success in the NFL. I'd STILL TAKE Mike Zimmer, for instance, in a second as my DC anyday.

And I wanna know (and will within the next year.....WTF happened with JIMMY. Guessing he rubbed the Flower the wrong way ; but hell, maybe they chatted and text'd each other and they mutually agreed to not interview. WHO KNOWS.

I will say this; while my bias is to be OK with the hire, I don't have a ton of faith in Flower as a person who is hiring the DC.

texaspackerbacker
02-02-2024, 09:46 PM
When was the last time we had pressure pressure pressure? Capers? A lot of people in here complained about that. Barry was sort of pressure lite. Way too often he would come close with the blitz, the QB would escape and burn us in some gaping open area of the secondary. What I saw from Jimmy at Wisconsin was D a lot like Barry with the Packers - "almost" type blitzes, big open areas in the secondary, and susceptibility to the run.

As I said a couple of times, what WORKED to a large degree anyway was what the Packers did late in the season. For the first time in a long time, it really seemed like we had most of the open space covered against the pass, and we mostly stopped the run too.

QBME
02-02-2024, 10:25 PM
Other.
As another poster opined in an earlier thread, MLF is putting his thumb print on this team.
Gonna be out of left field.

Huh

Joemailman
02-02-2024, 11:27 PM
It sure seemed like it. I'm very mixed on the hire. His job seemed on the line at Boston College before the season. But I also know some prick fans form Ohio State and they worship this guy.

So I don't know what to think. I too hated the Joe Barry hire from DAY ONE. I don't really know enough about this guy to love it or hate it so I need a year or two to develop my warped views.

On one shoulder, the little man is screaming....exotic blitz packages.....Man to Man coverage is great for Jaire....pressure pressure pressure. Great Hire

On the other, another little man screams. JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY, and it's pretty irresponsible not to at least interview some of the experienced DC's who have already had success in the NFL. I'd STILL TAKE Mike Zimmer, for instance, in a second as my DC anyday.

And I wanna know (and will within the next year.....WTF happened with JIMMY. Guessing he rubbed the Flower the wrong way ; but hell, maybe they chatted and text'd each other and they mutually agreed to not interview. WHO KNOWS.

I will say this; while my bias is to be OK with the hire, I don't have a ton of faith in Flower as a person who is hiring the DC.

Did Leonhard get an interview with anybody? Either he's not seeking an NFL job, or there is no longer interest in him among NFL teams.

Fritz
02-03-2024, 07:39 AM

There’s a weird story out in ACME that reports are that the Packers offered the job to Zach Orr but that he chose to stay as Baltimore’s new DC after Macdonald went to Seattle. All sounds very bang-bang, and the proposed timeline for this is odd. If they were THAT interested, wouldn’t they have requested an interview sooner, like they did with Dennard Walker?

Joemailman
02-03-2024, 07:46 AM
There’s a weird story out in ACME that reports are that the Packers offered the job to Zach Orr but that he chose to stay as Baltimore’s new DC after Macdonald went to Seattle. All sounds very bang-bang, and the proposed timeline for this is odd. If they were THAT interested, wouldn’t they have requested an interview sooner, like they did with Dennard Walker?

A league source is saying Orr was offered the job. Team source is saying that is not true.

Fritz
02-03-2024, 08:42 AM
A league source is saying Orr was offered the job. Team source is saying that is not true.

While we'd expect a team source to say that, the timeline offered in the story didn't seem realisitic, at least from a logical point of view. If you want a guy that bad, why would you not throw your hat in the ring earlier, like you did with other candidates? Makes no sense. On top of that, the story made it sound like they both asked to interview him and offered him the job on January 30th. It just doesn't add up.

Joemailman
02-03-2024, 09:02 AM
Zach Kruse
@zachkruse2

Looks like an agent source vs. team source battle!

Agent wants Orr to look good and in demand
Team wants Hafley to look like first and only choice

Not sure any of it really matters

RashanGary
02-03-2024, 11:03 AM
While we'd expect a team source to say that, the timeline offered in the story didn't seem realisitic, at least from a logical point of view. If you want a guy that bad, why would you not throw your hat in the ring earlier, like you did with other candidates? Makes no sense. On top of that, the story made it sound like they both asked to interview him and offered him the job on January 30th. It just doesn't add up.

They really don’t know much about a lot of these guys. It’s a small community so there is some knowledge, but really, when I went through the better defensive teams to see which young guys are being promoted fast, when the interview times came, that’s who was being interviewed.

Maybe to start the process it was just casting a wide net and Orr was one of the guys where they’re checking under each stone. But when they lifted this stone during the interview process, they were like, yeah, this is what we were looking for.

I kind of believe the agent source here. But it’s hard to know for sure.