PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Hafley Packers New DC

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 05:47 PM
A total surprise.

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Hafley has considerable NFL experience assistant DBs coach in 2012 and secondary/safeties coach in 2013 with Tampa Bay. Worked under Mike Pettine in Cleveland in '14. Coached DBs in San Francisco from 2016-'18. Was co-DC for Ohio State in '19 and has been BC head coach since 2020

red
01-31-2024, 05:51 PM
who?

i guess at least he has some experience at more then just DB coach or defensive special assistant to the defensive quality control assistant

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 05:58 PM
Justis Mosqueda is saying Hafley is probably closest to Saleh scheme-wise. A lot more press man and single high safety. Will likely be a 4-3 base.

red
01-31-2024, 06:03 PM
i just read one article where they talk about how he was dropping a 311 pound guy into coverage

thats sounds worse then what we just got rid of

red
01-31-2024, 06:03 PM
yikes

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2023/10/13/23912238/midseason-state-of-the-boston-college-football-defense

red
01-31-2024, 06:05 PM
so i just read something where they ran a 4-2-5 scheme

whats that? need some input from someone smarter

ThunderDan
01-31-2024, 06:09 PM
i just read one article where they talk about how he was dropping a 311 pound guy into coverage

BJ Raji says thank you very much.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-31-2024, 06:09 PM
so i just read something where they ran a 4-2-5 scheme

whats that? need some input from someone smarter

Nickel.

red
01-31-2024, 06:12 PM
so it seems the key to this type of offense to to have a LB/safety

we don't have anyone that can do that right now, do we?

plus, does this change our front 4 at all, or can preston, gary and van noy just move down to DE

red
01-31-2024, 06:13 PM
Nickel.

i clearly said someone smarter

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 06:17 PM
so it seems the key to this type of offense to to have a LB/safety

we don't have anyone that can do that right now, do we?

plus, does this change our front 4 at all, or can preston, gary and van noy just move down to DE

Those guys are as big as most 4-3 DE's. Gary and Van Ness did play with their hand on the ground in college. Don't know about Preston. The safety position needs to be rebuilt no matter what kind of defense they play.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-31-2024, 06:18 PM

4-2-5 is pretty much just nickel defense. Everyone runs that shit nowadays in the NFL.

red
01-31-2024, 06:19 PM
Those guys are as big as most 4-3 DE's. Gary and Van Ness did play with their hand on the ground in college. Don't know about Preston. The safety position needs to be rebuilt no matter what kind of defense they play.

preston was the one guy i thought could easily make the move

Fosco33
01-31-2024, 06:20 PM
Who?

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 06:25 PM
In 2012, Hafley made his NFL coaching debut with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He joined the Bucs as assistant defensive backs coach and spent 2013 as the secondary coach/safeties. In 2013, Hafley oversaw a unit which helped Tampa Bay finish tied for third in the NFL with 21 interceptions.[citation needed] On January 27, 2014, Hafley was hired by the Cleveland Browns to coach the secondary. Hafley would remain in this role for 2 seasons (2014–15), before being relieved of his duties due to a coaching overhaul.[citation needed] On January 24, 2016, Hafley was hired by San Francisco 49ers' new head coach Chip Kelly to coach the defensive backs.[8] In 2019, he was hired to be the co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State. Hafley quickly established himself as one of the best recruiters in the country, being ranked ninth overall recruiter for the 2020 class by 247Sports.com.[9] On December 13, 2019, he was hired to be the head coach at Boston College after the firing of Steve Addazio.[10]

Vincenzo
01-31-2024, 06:32 PM
7 years NFL coaching experience.

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 06:35 PM
Bruce Feldman
@BruceFeldmanCFB

Jeff Hafley did a fantastic job as Ohio State's DC. He made a big impact in that one season. The Buckeyes went from No. 72 in the country in yards per play the year before he arrived to No. 1 under him. Good hire for the Packers.

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

A connection between LaFleur and Hafley is that Hafley coached DBs for two seasons under former #49ers DC Robert Saleh, who is LaFleur's best friend in the business. Also, #Packers director of college scouting Matt Malaspina was with the 49ers when Hafley was there.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

On Hafley:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFNaSekWoAASGvo?format=jpg&name=small

Vincenzo
01-31-2024, 06:45 PM
Who?
Can’t help feeling the same when I first heard his name. Lafleur better be right on this.
And I hope it’s not Lafleur’s good friend’s buddy.

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 06:53 PM
He has a lot of experience coaching young players and that’s what he’s going to have in the secondary.

pittstang5
01-31-2024, 06:55 PM
Quick look sounds like another "Buddy" hire.

I don't know anything about this guy and I'm already in a bad mood, so I'll go on record saying I hate this hire. I hope I'm wrong and the defense excels, but this not what I was expecting.

MadScientist
01-31-2024, 06:56 PM
Being good at Ohio State, with the way they can recruit, is not a sign of massive talent. MLF went with friend of a friend, just like with Barry.

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 06:59 PM
The NFL is a small fraternity. There’s going to be a connection no matter who he picks. I’ll bet he’s high paid. BC HC probably gets more than a normal DC.

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 07:00 PM
OH NO!!! MLF HIRED A COACH WHO ISN'T A TOTAL STRANGER!!!

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 07:02 PM
Hafley was making 3M at BC. He’s going to be well compensated.

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 07:03 PM
Todd Bowles was making 3M as a coordinator in Tampa so it’s not unheard of. But this guy is gonna be a high paid coordinator. He’s not leaving millions on the table.

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 07:06 PM
Pros:
Friend of Lafleurs best friend
Experienced coaching young players
Experience organizing a large group
Experience as an NFL DB coach
Young
Highly thought of as a recruiter (must be able to connect to young players)

Cons
None

This is the best hire in the world. There isn’t one coach in the league better. This is a 42 year old bill belichick about to take over as the coaching GOAT.

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Looking through the google images, he looks wound tight. Has a substantial amount of rage. How can you not appreciate a little rage from your DC?

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 07:16 PM
I think the Packers have the kind of corners who will benefit from playing more press man. Might even resurrect Stokes, if he's not damaged physically.

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 07:16 PM
I always find it funny when Capers drops Raji into the hook zone and he gets a pick 6 for a tuddy and everyone celebrates the creativity, but then the next guy drops Preston into an Curl/flat and a receiver picks up a 12 yard chunk, the world is falling.

Let’s relax on having to drop the same exact 7 into coverage with no surprises thing here. There are benefits to a surprise coverage player.

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 07:20 PM
Capers ran quite a bit of single safety with Collins in centerfield and Peprah and other scrubs in the box.

We’re going to be on the lookout for a natural center fielder if that’s what we’re going to be running.

RashanGary
01-31-2024, 07:24 PM
We’re drafting Kameron Kinchens. Don’t know if he’ll run 4.38 like Collins, but he might. Same body type. Write up is that he’s a rare true centerfield type who is dominant in space.

He’s the guy.

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 07:25 PM
Packers make it official.

The Green Bay Packers have named Jeff Hafley defensive coordinator. Head Coach Matt LaFleur made the announcement Wednesday.

"We are excited to welcome Jeff, his wife, Gina, and their daughters, Hope and Leah, to the Packers and the Green Bay community," added LaFleur. "Jeff has had success at every stop of his coaching career with an impressive track record of developing players at every level. We look forward to him leading our defense"

Hafley comes to the Packers after working as the head coach for Boston College for the past four seasons (2020-23), where he led the Eagles to bowl eligibility in three of his four years. In 2021, the defense ranked No. 3 nationally in passing yards allowed (173.5 per game) and also were top-30 nationally in total defense, red-zone defense, first downs allowed, third-down percentage, team passing efficiency and defensive touchdowns. The Eagles also led the ACC in fewest penalties and fewest penalty yards.

Prior to his time at BC, Hafley was the co-defensive coordinator/secondary coach for Ohio State in 2019. In his one season in Columbus, he was a finalist for the Frank Broyles Award and the 247 Sports Defensive Coordinator of the Year. Hafley helped the Buckeye defense rank No. 1 nationally in yards per play, No. 2 in total defense and passing yards allowed, No. 3 in scoring defense and sacks, No. 7 in rushing defense and No. 1 in red-zone defense. The Buckeyes registered 15 interceptions in 2019, tied for No. 9 in the nation, while allowing just 25 pass plays of 20-plus yards.

Before his time at Ohio State, Hafley spent seven seasons as an NFL assistant coach. The Montvale, N.J., native worked as a defensive backs coach for the San Francisco 49ers (2016-18) and Cleveland Browns (2014-15). In 2018, the 49ers ranked No. 11 in the NFL in passing defense and were No. 14 in 2016 after ranking No. 27 the year before Hafley arrived. He first coached in the NFL as an assistant defensive backs coach for Tampa Bay in 2012 and then was the secondary/safeties coach for the Buccaneers in 2013.

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 07:28 PM
Capers ran quite a bit of single safety with Collins in centerfield and Peprah and other scrubs in the box.

We’re going to be on the lookout for a natural center fielder if that’s what we’re going to be running.

If there's one position the Packers might spend some money in FA it's at safety. It's a strong FA class at safety this year.

King Friday
01-31-2024, 07:32 PM
Meh.

Overall, he seems more aggressive than Barry, so I guess that is a plus.

Bretsky
01-31-2024, 07:38 PM
Pros:
Friend of Lafleurs best friend
Experienced coaching young players
Experience organizing a large group
Experience as an NFL DB coach
Young
Highly thought of as a recruiter (must be able to connect to young players)

Cons
None

This is the best hire in the world. There isn’t one coach in the league better. This is a 42 year old bill belichick about to take over as the coaching GOAT.

He's probablhy better than that other shitbag you were pimpiong as the King of the World when you thought they were hiring him....lol

Sparkey
01-31-2024, 07:40 PM
If there's one position the Packers might spend some money in FA it's at safety. It's a strong FA class at safety this year.

Strong draft class as well.

Bretsky
01-31-2024, 07:40 PM
I'll judge this one later.

None of us know this dude so it's silly to bash the heck out of him or pimp him.

Who knows.

Do we have any Boston College fans ? Guesssing plenty of NCAA coaches may try to move to NFL with all this NIL crap

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 07:45 PM
I'll judge this one later.

None of us know this dude so it's silly to bash the heck out of him or pimp him.

Who knows.

Do we have any Boston College fans ? Guesssing plenty of NCAA coaches may try to move to NFL with all this NIL crap

Sounds like that was part of his reasoning.

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel

Hafley's reasons for taking this coordinator job are rooted in both the overall state of college football and the opportunity to work for one of the NFL’s most respected franchises.

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."

Bretsky
01-31-2024, 07:46 PM
Sounds like that was part of his reasoning.

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel

Hafley's reasons for taking this coordinator job are rooted in both the overall state of college football and the opportunity to work for one of the NFL’s most respected franchises.

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."

LOL; nailed it again......haha

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 07:55 PM
Richard Sherman on Hafley: https://twitter.com/i/status/1752855876103291171

Anti-Polar Bear
01-31-2024, 08:55 PM
LB/DL coaches turned defensive coordinators tend to be the dull cover-2/cover-3 types. DB coaches turned dcs tend to be the exotic blitzing types.

Like y’all, I ain’t got a clue who the fuck this guy is, but I am excited that the exotic blitzes, especially from defensive backs, might be retuning. Pack ain’t run exotic blitzes since Capers left town.

Sparkey
01-31-2024, 09:12 PM
I find it interesting that Hafley runs a 4 man front and that looking back at the 23 draft Van Ness, Wooden and Brooks were all 4 dline guys. Gary was a DE in college.

Should be an easy adjustment for the front and I would expect Clark to excel as a penetrating DT in a 4 man front.

call_me_ishmael
01-31-2024, 09:25 PM
3-4, 4-3, it’s all irrelevant imo, they all have the same concepts and all do the same things. Man, IDK about this one. Very odd IMO. In MILF we trust I guess.

Sparkey
01-31-2024, 09:51 PM
https://atozsports.com/green-bay/the-anti-joe-barry-what-jeff-hafleys-defense-will-look-like-with-the-packers/

Some insight into Hafley's D.

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 10:24 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

FWIW, LaFleur and Hafley aren’t close friends as some have reported. He knows Hafley through his brother, Robert Saleh and Kyle Shanahan, all of whom worked with Hafley. They knew each other but weren’t ever on the same staff or guys who spoke often.

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 10:30 PM
https://atozsports.com/green-bay/the-anti-joe-barry-what-jeff-hafleys-defense-will-look-like-with-the-packers/

One thing is for sure, if people didn't like Barry's scheme, they should like this a lot better. Single high safety, more press man, bringing more pressure. The biggest challenge personnel-wise will be finding the centerfielder free safety this scheme requires. I really think this scheme better suits the kind of cornerbacks Gute has drafted. McDuffie played for Hafley at Boston College and could see an increased role.

call_me_ishmael
01-31-2024, 10:58 PM
I think that safety is already on the roster. I at least think he'll be given a shot at it. I suppose they will draft one too since the current guy did not turn into anything to write home about.

Joemailman
01-31-2024, 11:00 PM
I think that safety is already on the roster. I at least think he'll be given a shot at it. I suppose they will draft one too since the current guy did not turn into anything to write home about.

Who? They only have one safety under contract for 2024. And that's the rookie, Anthony Johnson Jr.

call_me_ishmael
01-31-2024, 11:02 PM
Who? They only have one safety under contract for 2024. And that's the rookie, Anthony Johnson Jr.

Savage (I know he's a FA)

Sparkey
02-01-2024, 06:29 AM
Savage (I know he's a FA)

Savage is not a free safety. With Pettine, he played better closer to the LOS.

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2024, 07:35 AM
The optimist that I am says to be happy with this pick. He's young and hopefully smart like I wanted, and just the fact that he's LaFleur's pick is a good thing. Of course, so was Barry, so who knows.

Whatever you want to call Savage, free safety or strong safety, he's fast, and you need speed if you're playing single high safety as somebody said Hafley prefers. If we do a lot of blitzing, it better get home. Probably the worst thing about Barry was almost getting to the QB and then having too much open space in the secondary as well as RBs going right past our blitzers for big gains. The late season goodness of the D was when Barry apparently grudgingly went to a lot of 2 and 3 deep shell pass D. We also did better against the run with that. I'd like to think we would do more of that kind of thing, but what I read about Hafley seems to say otherwise.

MadtownPacker
02-01-2024, 09:40 AM
Like this hire. This guy has been part of defenses that dominated. As mentioned and highly important he can relate to the younger generations which anyone over 45 knows is impossible most of the time. I look forward to not seeing huge gains giving up easily. At this point most potential hires would have some kind of connection so who gives a damn about that.

Pepe LaFleur has put all his chips on the table with this hire. There are no more ghost of seasons past (Rodgers and Barry) to blame. He picked with his future as Packers HC on the line. I trust him to have picked wisely.

MadtownPacker
02-01-2024, 09:43 AM
Sober up. APB just owned you between burger flips.

Sparkey
02-01-2024, 10:52 AM
It will be interesting to see who he ends with for assistants. Sounds like a few of the current guys have worked with him.

bobblehead
02-01-2024, 12:14 PM
Being good at Ohio State, with the way they can recruit, is not a sign of massive talent. MLF went with friend of a friend, just like with Barry.

So rather than consulting his best friend, one of the better DCs around, he should have just hired a random stranger whom he had no real information on?

If I were in charge of hiring, I would likely lean on a few people I trust for recommendations. I would assume Saleh is one of the people MLF asked for names of sharp young minds. Barry was a bad hire, no doubt. And their history together likely factored in (remember, Barry wasn't the first choice and a lot of first choice guys were gone when Leonhard turned him down), but that in no way implies he should have hired some guy that he had no "insider" knowledge of.

I have no clue on this guy, but I have a pretty strong opinion of Saleh. If Saleh said this is your guy, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt.

bobblehead
02-01-2024, 12:17 PM
I think the Packers have the kind of corners who will benefit from playing more press man. Might even resurrect Stokes, if he's not damaged physically.

Exactly. Barry was a piss poor match for the skill sets of the athletes drafted by Gutes. This guy seems like he was picked based on the fact that his style/scheme benefits the talent we have on the field. Hell, they might even re sign savage now.

bobblehead
02-01-2024, 12:23 PM

I think we have only Johnson on the roster....and some UDFA guy. Is that who you are referring to??

edit: NM, cleared up before I posted this. No, Savage is not a centerfielder.

Joemailman
02-01-2024, 12:36 PM
If they bring back Savage, it will be to play strong safety or slot corner. Gute needs to find his single high safety in FA or the draft.

The Shadow
02-01-2024, 01:19 PM

It worked with BJ Raji against the Bears....

Fritz
02-01-2024, 03:23 PM
One thing is for sure, if people didn't like Barry's scheme, they should like this a lot better. Single high safety, more press man, bringing more pressure. The biggest challenge personnel-wise will be finding the centerfielder free safety this scheme requires. I really think this scheme better suits the kind of cornerbacks Gute has drafted. McDuffie played for Hafley at Boston College and could see an increased role.

I read a good article at ACME on the type of defense he runs; this is it. More press, some zone, and in addition to the all-important centerfieldersafety (we need a Nick Collins, as someone noted), it sounded to me also like we're going to need another inside linebacker or two.

The article made a good point, too, that Bisaccia has been using a lot of safeties for special teams, but Hafley's defenses make use of more corners than safeties, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects special teams.

I wonder what this does to a NT like TJ Slaton? Will he fit in this scheme, or just play less? I don't know how that works. But the guy seems well-schooled in this more-current type of defense, so I am excited for the hire. As Bretsky says, who knows? We'll find out, but I do think the players are going to be more excited in a scheme like this one. Jaire will probably do better, and as you said, maybe Stokes, if he's not physically diminished. So, for the draft: top-end safety to patrol the middle (probably a high draft pick?), another inside linebacker, maybe two, another corner, maybe one earlier, one later?

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2024, 04:55 PM
I think we have only Johnson on the roster....and some UDFA guy. Is that who you are referring to??

edit: NM, cleared up before I posted this. No, Savage is not a centerfielder.

Not to be a fact checker or anything - I hate those things hahahaha, but there actually are (or very recently were) two Johnsons, both first name Anthony - #36 the Safety from Iowa State, and #40 a Corner from Virginia. There's also the UDFA LB you mentioned that we apparently just picked up, first name Deandre.

call_me_ishmael
02-01-2024, 04:56 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think I like this. I say think since I have no idea about this dude, but on paper, it sounds like a really great fit. He blitz a lot, which I like. He plays press more than just about anyone, which I like.

Most importantly, it sounds like players are going to not have to think as much and just play. I like that a lot. Players will love playing aggressively for this dude and manning up. Nobody likes zone.

RashanGary
02-01-2024, 05:35 PM
Press man gets eaten alive with rub routes. No one runs press man anymore.

If there are two WRs on one side, I’ll see one guy press and the other off. But pure press man. Offfenses have proven they eat it alive and it’s the worst coverage in football.

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2024, 05:49 PM
Yeah, press man is only even a little bit good if you assume Jaire is back to where he was a few years ago.

Unless you have a truly super shut down Corner, preferably two of them, what seems to work best is what we did the last few weeks of the season, zone D with 2 or 3 deep Safetys.

George Cumby
02-01-2024, 05:58 PM

You had me at "The anti-Joe Barry".

Bretsky
02-01-2024, 06:31 PM
It will be interesting to see who he ends with for assistants. Sounds like a few of the current guys have worked with him.

Last time GB hired a DC they kept all of their assistants. Some wonder if this was at direction from the Flower

It would not surprise me if they bring everybody back again

I'd prefer fresh blood

Bretsky
02-01-2024, 06:32 PM
I read a good article at ACME on the type of defense he runs; this is it. More press, some zone, and in addition to the all-important centerfieldersafety (we need a Nick Collins, as someone noted), it sounded to me also like we're going to need another inside linebacker or two.

The article made a good point, too, that Bisaccia has been using a lot of safeties for special teams, but Hafley's defenses make use of more corners than safeties, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects special teams.

I wonder what this does to a NT like TJ Slaton? Will he fit in this scheme, or just play less? I don't know how that works. But the guy seems well-schooled in this more-current type of defense, so I am excited for the hire. As Bretsky says, who knows? We'll find out, but I do think the players are going to be more excited in a scheme like this one. Jaire will probably do better, and as you said, maybe Stokes, if he's not physically diminished. So, for the draft: top-end safety to patrol the middle (probably a high draft pick?), another inside linebacker, maybe two, another corner, maybe one earlier, one later?

I think QUAY WALKER coudl kill it in this scheme if they let him roam the middle

red
02-01-2024, 07:43 PM
Isaiah McDuffie played for him at BC and was second team all conference his senior year

https://youtu.be/Y5s8pHxpIx0?si=7RmHtZPt_xcqFdfO

Joemailman
02-01-2024, 07:57 PM
I think QUAY WALKER coudl kill it in this scheme if they let him roam the middle

Back when teams played a lot of 4-3 base, Walker would have been a classic WILL. Not sure if Hafley employs much base at all. But I agree he can be very explosive in this defense if utilized the right way.

RashanGary
02-01-2024, 11:05 PM

Gute was talking about versatile players and he mentioned quay and then made a comment about him being special or something of that nature. I think Gute thinks there is more to Quay than having him responsible for a zone and reading run off that. The way I read the versatility part is that he can be used as more of a pass rusher who’s aggressive down hill. Because versatile indicates more than just one position and he’s only been used as a traditional linebacker so far. With very few downhill attacks on lineman as a pass rusher.

RashanGary
02-01-2024, 11:07 PM
Quay is my avatar because he’s the baddest player we’ve had on defense since I don’t even know who. Maybe Wayne Simmons.

RashanGary
02-01-2024, 11:10 PM
Quay is very much the same body type and athletic profile as Micah Parsons. I’ve seen guys similar athletes suck at pass rushing though, so it’s certainly not saying he’s anywhere near Parsons. There is a feel and an art to beating blocks. But you should at least try. He’s a rare athlete. See what he can do.

Fritz
02-02-2024, 08:10 AM
Quay does seem like an aggressive and quick guy. Seems like he'd be good blitzing. Maybe it it's less read-and-react and more attack, Quay Walker will flourish.

SudsMcBucky
02-02-2024, 10:10 AM
I absolutely hated the Barry hire when it was announced. It's on the record from the Barry hired thread. On this hire, I actually am on board with this one. The more I learn about this guy, it seems like it could be a real good fit.

bobblehead
02-02-2024, 12:42 PM

Quay might end up as the strong side OLB in this scheme. Or maybe Preston can play that position. I would have been concerned years ago, but schemes kind of blend together now. This guy has a background in multiple types of Ds so I suspect he can and better be able to adjust to his on field talent. The most important factor imo is playing aggressive on 3rd downs. No more lining up in a way where we concede most of the yards and then pray we can make a tackle. Or playing the theory we have for a decade of hoping the other teams O makes a mistake before they march all the way down the field. Todays offenses are too good for that theory. You need to dictate the game to them.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-02-2024, 12:59 PM
With this new DC and his exotic blitzes, Packers have gotta re-sign Nixon. Dude ain’t Wood as nickelback, but he sure as fuck ain’t a liability in coverage like Hyde and Sullivan, either. Plus, Nixion’s speed and willingness to tackle would be positives in the scheme.

Source: Me, Tank Elf Duke, former high school shutdown corner who shut down Darren Charles in a game.

Joemailman
02-02-2024, 01:15 PM
With this new DC and his exotic blitzes, Packers have gotta re-sign Nixon. Dude ain’t Wood as nickelback, but he sure as fuck ain’t a liability in coverage like Hyde and Sullivan, either. Plus, Nixion’s speed and willingness to tackle would be positives in the scheme.

Source: Me, Tank Elf Duke, former high school shutdown corner who shut down Darren Charles in a game.

They need to draft Cooper DeJean and tell Nixon thanks for the memories.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-02-2024, 01:24 PM
They need to draft Cooper DeJean and tell Nixon thanks for the memories.

Recall how every time opponents needed to move the chains, they simply threw at Hyde and Sullivan? Sure, Nixon allowed his share of completions. But not with the same fuck up frequencies as Hyde and Sullivan. Nixon would make a good blitzer, I reckon.

DeJean? Ain’t he a character in Les Miserables? I haven’t started prepping for the 2024 “Mastery Mockery of a Draft” yet.

Fritz
02-02-2024, 02:21 PM
Quay might end up as the strong side OLB in this scheme. Or maybe Preston can play that position. I would have been concerned years ago, but schemes kind of blend together now. This guy has a background in multiple types of Ds so I suspect he can and better be able to adjust to his on field talent. The most important factor imo is playing aggressive on 3rd downs. No more lining up in a way where we concede most of the yards and then pray we can make a tackle. Or playing the theory we have for a decade of hoping the other teams O makes a mistake before they march all the way down the field. Todays offenses are too good for that theory. You need to dictate the game to them.

For those of you Rats who, unlike me, actually pay attention to the details and schemes and players and know a little bit (again, unlike me), I have a question: from what you've seen of the rookie safety seventh-rounder, Anthony Johnson (I think that's the name), does he "fit" at either of the safety positions in this new scheme? As a former corner, I would think maybe he would, but like I said, I know very little.

Joemailman
02-02-2024, 03:01 PM
For those of you Rats who, unlike me, actually pay attention to the details and schemes and players and know a little bit (again, unlike me), I have a question: from what you've seen of the rookie safety seventh-rounder, Anthony Johnson (I think that's the name), does he "fit" at either of the safety positions in this new scheme? As a former corner, I would think maybe he would, but like I said, I know very little.

I would think he's best suited at either strong safety or slot corner. He has corner coverage skills and a willingness to hit. I'm not sure he's been asked to play single high safety either at Iowa St. or Green Bay, so hard to say if he could do it. Pretty good writeup on him from last year: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-iowa-state-safety-anthony-johnson-jr-flying-up-pff-draft-board-2023

George Cumby
02-02-2024, 05:49 PM

Agreed.

Let the kid cut it loose.

Frozen Tundra
02-03-2024, 12:33 AM
Yeah, press man is only even a little bit good if you assume Jaire is back to where he was a few years ago.

"Back to where he was" both in terms of his productivity, but perhaps even more importantly in terms of his availability. I agree, unless we get incredibly lucky in the draft, Alexander is probably the only guy who can make a press man defense effective. But can a new DC afford to put any real emphasis on a scheme that depends completely on a man who missed 13 games in 2021 and 10 games last season?

I really don't see press man being a big part of our D next season.

bobblehead
02-03-2024, 12:59 PM

Its just hard to say. As I said somewhere we need an eraser like Earl Thomas. I have not watched Johnson at all to be honest, but we need an instinctual safety who has a feel for where the ball is about to go. Someone like...Rasul Douglas maybe. I'm not sure if Johnson is that or not. None of our current corners convert to that skillset though (that I can tell). And we have no legit Safeties on the roster so...

Joemailman
02-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Packers defensive quality control coach Justin Hood is joining the Falcons as secondary coach. He’s reunited with Jerry Gray in Atlanta.

Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

League sources tell
@TheLeapGB
there WILL be changes to the #Packers defensive staff.

This will including a shuffling of responsibilities among coaches already on the staff including an elevated role for Jason Rebrovich who was promoted to pass rush specialist last year.

Joemailman
02-03-2024, 02:48 PM
Brady Henderson
@BradyHenderson

Former Rams, Vikings and Seahawks QB Sean Mannion is ending his nine-year NFL playing career and has accepted a position on the Packers’ coaching staff, a source tells me. He’ll work with QBs and the passing game.

Packers News
@PGPackersNews

All coaches on the Packers defense have been given permission to apply for other jobs after the team hired Jeff Hafley as defensive coordinator.

Joemailman
02-03-2024, 06:21 PM
DL coach and running game coordinator Jerry Montgomery will not be back.

RashanGary
02-03-2024, 09:18 PM
Quay :lol::lol::lol:

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/maJzGTfCz4uWH9An/?mibextid=KsPBc6

texaspackerbacker
02-04-2024, 12:26 AM
Its just hard to say. As I said somewhere we need an eraser like Earl Thomas. I have not watched Johnson at all to be honest, but we need an instinctual safety who has a feel for where the ball is about to go. Someone like...Rasul Douglas maybe. I'm not sure if Johnson is that or not. None of our current corners convert to that skillset though (that I can tell). And we have no legit Safeties on the roster so...

Individually, no we don't have that kind of personnel. Neither do most teams. However, adapting the scheme to the personnel like Barry (grudgingly I think) did the last few games can make good but not great players look damn good and get the job done.

ThunderDan
02-04-2024, 07:57 AM
Individually, no we don't have that kind of personnel. Neither do most teams. However, adapting the scheme to the personnel like Barry (grudgingly I think) did the last few games can make good but not great players look damn good and get the job done.

Finally, something that we can agree upon. The best DC are able to adjust their plan to maximize the talent of the players. They are also smart enough to watch a game and see that their plan isn’t working and adjust on the fly.

run pMc
02-04-2024, 12:48 PM
Not convinced they'll suddenly become a '4-3' team. Nickel is more or less the base defense nowadays anyhow. I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to play it similarly on the front (2 DT, 2 EDGE with a choice of standing up or 3pt., 2 ILBs). The coverage will be different - I think they go more MOFC coverages and throw in a bit more man coverage and maybe even some press. I would expect there to be more pressure dialed up, and there will still be a healthy amount of zone coverage. All NFL defenses play a lot of zone. I don't think he'll line his CBs as far off the LOS compared to Barry or Pettine.

My first response was "who?" and feeling generally underwhelmed, but he has worked with some smart people and I would expect a guy like Saleh to give MLF an honest assessment. He doesn't have the stink of an 0-16 season on him. My impression of BC is that they are basically in the bottom half of the ACC, getting beat by Clemson, FSU, and Louisville, the way Indiana gets beat by Michigan or OSU.

I'm firmly in the wait-and-see camp on this one; I suspect he'll be like a slightly better Pettine, which would be an upgrade.

I expect this hire will steer draft strategy a bit -- probably using 5+ total draft picks among CB, S, and LB.

Fritz
02-04-2024, 12:48 PM
Finally, something that we can agree upon. The best DC are able to adjust their plan to maximize the talent of the players. They are also smart enough to watch a game and see that their plan isn’t working and adjust on the fly.

I've adjusted my fly many times before.

The key is "maximizing the talent of the players." If you have players with a certain skill set, you put them in positions to use those skills, and try to keep them out of situations that ask them to do things they don't do well, just because it's your "system." That was apparent in the two Minny games - was it last year? - where in the first one, Joe Barely didn't match up Alexander with Jefferson, and Jefferson went wild. Second game, Barely did match Alexander up, and Jefferson was much quieter.

australianpackerbacker
02-04-2024, 04:50 PM
A total surprise.

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Hafley has considerable NFL experience assistant DBs coach in 2012 and secondary/safeties coach in 2013 with Tampa Bay. Worked under Mike Pettine in Cleveland in '14. Coached DBs in San Francisco from 2016-'18. Was co-DC for Ohio State in '19 and has been BC head coach since 2020

Ladies and gents, fellow humans of the expression of our gratitude for the shared love of this Franchise, which allows us to intimately behave as fans of grown men scheming other grown men who run around in tight uniforms do..

I like the hire. After watching and reading and researching and spending time understanding this man's character, he's the exact hire we need. This is how you play defense in 2020s, and he seems to be a great fit. Barry lacked versatility and knowledge, which you can get away with when you have smart players and great guys in key positions of importance, but if you're putting them out of position I don't think you belong I the nfl as a coordinator in any capacity because you can't adjust to what you're seeing in the same way inept quarterbacks continue to display conduct detrimental to the growth of the team.

The resume doesn't matter if you think you can coordinate 11 men to make plays in unison and have them give you the credit, credit is due in your ability in allowing them to get there by putting them in the best position to succeed in the circumstances given to them by following the trust you have in your instruction to succeed. Calling plays means nothing of you're defending the inevitable destruction of what you built and in essence allowing your confidence in who you are to be questioned by the opponent who either outscored you with coaching or with talent, and if you lose more than 3 battles a year due to coaching you either get better or you get fired.

Wink martindale was the only other option but I think he's a bit of a hard headed guy and that's traditional dc type character and he took us to the cleaners in new York but he doesn't have the upside of this guy. The game against tampa showed lafluer was really in control of the Barry defense and what type of schemes he wanted to play, which only confirms the game is offensive, meaning lafluer knows d enough to know you don't call certain plays in certain circumstances because the probabilities are all fucked and basically Barry was a yes man.

What I'm looking for from this guy is to have a clear command of the defense just like I would expect from an OC. Trust. Get your guys in the right spot so when you're reviewing film you're not explaining why this was a bad call against this offense in front of your defense. As a leader of a team you're allowed to fuck up provided the consistency of error isn't your fault and you have the ability to ask of your players what many respects they expect of you. In this case he's at fault. But also don't hire yes men because subservience an education of free thought and creativity isn't a building block.

Fritz
02-05-2024, 11:14 AM
Sounds like it's more of an attack scheme, which I have to think the players will like. Who really wants to read and react? Defensive guys tend to be aggressive, so that doesn't sound that appealing. I would think guys like Alexander and Valentine will benefit - and Rudy Ford if they decide to bring him back. And Quay Walker. He could be a good blitzer.

But they are going to need a maestro on the back end to coordinate and direct it all. Can a rookie come in and do that? Or will Guter restructure some contracts and bring in a free agent?

Joemailman
02-05-2024, 11:41 AM
Sounds like it's more of an attack scheme, which I have to think the players will like. Who really wants to read and react? Defensive guys tend to be aggressive, so that doesn't sound that appealing. I would think guys like Alexander and Valentine will benefit - and Rudy Ford if they decide to bring him back. And Quay Walker. He could be a good blitzer.

But they are going to need a maestro on the back end to coordinate and direct it all. Can a rookie come in and do that? Or will Guter restructure some contracts and bring in a free agent?

This is a strong class of FA safeties. I don't think Gute will go after one of the top guys. But he should be able to find someone not too expensive who is an upgrade over Owens and Savage. A name I've heard mentioned is Geno Stone of Baltimore. 2020 7th round pick. But he started 11 games in 2023 and had 7 INT's so his asking price could be pretty high.

Fritz
02-05-2024, 02:43 PM
This is a strong class of FA safeties. I don't think Gute will go after one of the top guys. But he should be able to find someone not too expensive who is an upgrade over Owens and Savage. A name I've heard mentioned is Geno Stone of Baltimore. 2020 7th round pick. But he started 11 games in 2023 and had 7 INT's so his asking price could be pretty high.

First time he drops an easy interception he's Geno "Hands of" Stone.

Joemailman
02-05-2024, 03:15 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Defensive backs coach Ryan Downard and pass rush specialist Jason Rebrovich will remain on the Packers staff under new defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley, per a source.

There also could be more who return, but those two are locked in.

Arctic Fox
02-05-2024, 05:36 PM
I like the DC choice. I hope he doesn't have Preston Smith covering wide receivers. I also hope he blitzes alot.

Frozen Tundra
02-05-2024, 06:01 PM

For wat it's worth, Spotrac estimates his market value this year at 3yrs/$7M per year. I don't know why they value him so low, but that's half what the really big names are projected to get.

Joemailman
02-05-2024, 06:06 PM
For wat it's worth, Spotrac estimates his market value this year at 3yrs/$7M per year. I don't know why they value him so low, but that's half what the really big names are projected to get.

The 7 INT's might be a bit of a fluke. Prior to this year, he had 1 career INT.

texaspackerbacker
02-05-2024, 06:12 PM
I like the DC choice. I hope he doesn't have Preston Smith covering wide receivers. I also hope he blitzes alot.

I didn't like that either in hindsight, but if you're gonna do zone blitzes - which Hafley apparently likes, using Quay Walker as a blitzer, etc., somebody needs to cover that short zone, and the way most zone blitzing teams handle that is with a D Lineman dropping back - as Preston would be in a 4 man line. I say use the element of surprise, and do what works. If P. Smith as a DE rushes the passer, it's not even a blitz.

Joemailman
02-05-2024, 06:28 PM
Sometimes teams drop linemen into coverage. When B.J. Raji dropped into coverage and ended up with a pick 6, everybody thought it was awesome. When Preston Smith dropped into coverage and gave up a 12 yard completion, a lot of people lost their minds.

Arctic Fox
02-05-2024, 06:33 PM
I didn't like that either in hindsight, but if you're gonna do zone blitzes - which Hafley apparently likes, using Quay Walker as a blitzer, etc., somebody needs to cover that short zone, and the way most zone blitzing teams handle that is with a D Lineman dropping back - as Preston would be in a 4 man line. I say use the element of surprise, and do what works. If P. Smith as a DE rushes the passer, it's not even a blitz.

I was thinking more of a safety blitz or Cornerback. Someone who can get there quick. I'm not really sure what a zone blitz is.. You mean from a specific part of the field??

Anti-Polar Bear
02-05-2024, 07:03 PM
Sometimes teams drop linemen into coverage. When B.J. Raji dropped into coverage and ended up with a pick 6, everybody thought it was awesome. When Preston Smith dropped into coverage and gave up a 12 yard completion, a lot of people lost their minds.

That’s cos ole Busari never lined up directly over Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson or Chad Johnson or even Charles Johnson (former Pack 7th rounder).

Barry had P lin up directly over Tae Adams and Justin Jefferson. Someone shoulda barked an audible in those instances.

sharpe1027
02-05-2024, 07:05 PM
Zone blitz sends one or more blitzers from coverage position and drops a normal pass rusher into coverage. Often the dropping player is trying to disrupt a quick outlet for when the QB reacts to the blitz.

Joemailman
02-05-2024, 08:08 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

As new DC Jeff Hafley builds his staff, two #Packers defensive assistants who will not return are passing game coordinator Greg Williams and inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti a source said. Olivadotti will join the staff of new #Seahawks coach Mike McDonald.

ThunderDan
02-05-2024, 08:09 PM

There is a huge difference between where Raji dropped back to verses Preston. Chicago was backed up against their end line. Packers knew the pass had to come out fast. Preston dropped near midfield and they didn’t have to worry about taking a safety so they could wait longer for the route to develop.

Another strike against Barely who didn’t seem to take down, distance or game situation into his defensive play calls.

Joemailman
02-05-2024, 08:20 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

New #Packers defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley is bringing D-line coach Vince Oghobasse with him from Boston College, a source said. Oghobasse coached with Hafley with the #49ers and also spent time at Ohio State and UCLA. Oghobasse will replace D-line coach Jerry Montgomery.

Joemailman
02-05-2024, 08:30 PM
Trying to summarize defensive coaching changes:

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Packers defensive quality control coach Justin Hood is joining the Falcons as secondary coach. He’s reunited with Jerry Gray in Atlanta.

Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

League sources tell
@TheLeapGB
there WILL be changes to the #Packers defensive staff.

This will including a shuffling of responsibilities among coaches already on the staff including an elevated role for Jason Rebrovich who was promoted to pass rush specialist last year.

DL coach and running game coordinator Jerry Montgomery will not be back.

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Defensive backs coach Ryan Downard and pass rush specialist Jason Rebrovich will remain on the Packers staff under new defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley, per a source.

There also could be more who return, but those two are locked in.

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

As new DC Jeff Hafley builds his staff, two #Packers defensive assistants who will not return are passing game coordinator Greg Williams and inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti a source said. Olivadotti will join the staff of new #Seahawks coach Mike McDonald.

om Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

New #Packers defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley is bringing D-line coach Vince Oghobasse with him from Boston College, a source said. Oghobasse coached with Hafley with the #49ers and also spent time at Ohio State and UCLA. Oghobasse will replace D-line coach Jerry Montgomery.

Joemailman
02-06-2024, 11:43 AM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Pretty big coup for #Packers coach Matt LaFleur and DC Jeff Hafley. They are expected to hire former #Dolphins LBs coach Anthony Campanile, a source said. The #Giants had interviewed Campanile for their DC job and the #Eagles wanted him as a linebackers coach, the source said.

texaspackerbacker
02-06-2024, 11:47 AM
So we get theirs and they get Joe Barry? Sounds good to me hahahahaha.

Frozen Tundra
02-06-2024, 03:03 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Pretty big coup for #Packers coach Matt LaFleur and DC Jeff Hafley. They are expected to hire former #Dolphins LBs coach Anthony Campanile, a source said. The #Giants had interviewed Campanile for their DC job and the #Eagles wanted him as a linebackers coach, the source said.

Damn! This one's a great hire! Gute, Murphy, and Lafleur are dialed in on strengthening this team top to bottom. Campanile is the kind of guy who can turn Quay Walker into a star. He was rumored to be a possible candidate for our DC position, and an early possibility to replace Hafley at BC. He's a young, very passionate coach with a good track record everywhere he goes, and I think our defense just got significantly better.

That Mannion hire the other day is a brilliant move, too - a longterm investment in a very exciting new coach. I can't believe that one's completely slipped under the radar here, except for your mention of it the day it happened. I was tempted to start a thread, but I'm too new here so I didn't. I think he has a hell of a future, and he's getting a lot of buzz on some other forums.

Hiring Oghobaase was something I found interesting. Lafleur must have a ton of confidence in Hafley, because he's completely invested in him now. I'm a little skeptical of Hafley, to be honest, because BC's defense was terrible under his reign, and I'm not exacly doing backflips at the idea of Hafley bringing over one of the key coaches from that defense, but I'm just going to trust Lafleur and Gute to know what they're doing. A lot of Lafleur's coaching hires have been mediocre at best, and some downright awful, so I'm a little nervous. But maybe he's learned from his early mistakes, and developed a better eye for coaching talent.

Joemailman
02-06-2024, 03:44 PM
Damn! This one's a great hire! Gute, Murphy, and Lafleur are dialed in on strengthening this team top to bottom. Campanile is the kind of guy who can turn Quay Walker into a star. He was rumored to be a possible candidate for our DC position, and an early possibility to replace Hafley at BC. He's a young, very passionate coach with a good track record everywhere he goes, and I think our defense just got significantly better.

That Mannion hire the other day is a brilliant move, too - a longterm investment in a very exciting new coach. I can't believe that one's completely slipped under the radar here, except for your mention of it the day it happened. I was tempted to start a thread, but I'm too new here so I didn't. I think he has a hell of a future, and he's getting a lot of buzz on some other forums.

Hiring Oghobaase was something I found interesting. Lafleur must have a ton of confidence in Hafley, because he's completely invested in him now. I'm a little skeptical of Hafley, to be honest, because BC's defense was terrible under his reign, and I'm not exacly doing backflips at the idea of Hafley bringing over one of the key coaches from that defense, but I'm just going to trust Lafleur and Gute to know what they're doing. A lot of Lafleur's coaching hires have been mediocre at best, and some downright awful, so I'm a little nervous. But maybe he's learned from his early mistakes, and developed a better eye for coaching talent.

Hafley coached with Oghobaase with the 49ers. Hafley won't be trying to recreate what he did at Boston College which is always on the lower rung of the ACC. He'll be trying to create his version of what the 49ers had with Saleh.

Fritz
02-06-2024, 04:45 PM
Did ANYBODY ever bother to nickname him “Long Tall” Saleh??

Looks like the Packers need to draft an inside linebacker or two. Also, I wonder how Rashan Gary and Lukas Van Ness feel about going back to a hand-in-the-dirt position?

Frozen Tundra
02-06-2024, 05:17 PM
Hafley coached with Oghobaase with the 49ers. Hafley won't be trying to recreate what he did at Boston College which is always on the lower rung of the ACC. He'll be trying to create his version of what the 49ers had with Saleh.

That's a good take on it, and there's no reason to doubt you're right. It's an optimistric take, but not a reach. Very reasonable expectation.

I'm trying to keep an open mind on Hafley, but I'm going to have some reservations right up until we start seeing how well the defense comes together and performs. Best case scenario is that Hafley is a defensive guru who's just not head coach material, got "peter principled" one level too high, and was too overwhelmed with head coaching responsibilities to have any substantive impact on the defense. Because there wasn't much to like about that BC defense the last couple of years.

bobblehead
02-06-2024, 05:32 PM
Zone blitz sends one or more blitzers from coverage position and drops a normal pass rusher into coverage. Often the dropping player is trying to disrupt a quick outlet for when the QB reacts to the blitz.

I can't recall the entire play, but when James Harrison jumped upright and took a step back in the Superb Owl and grabbed a pick 6 right before the half (I'm pretty sure) was a prime example of a successful zone blitz. QB made a hot read and threw it right at Harrison who didn't even have much time to drop back.

Bretsky
02-06-2024, 07:41 PM
I'm keeping an open mind on the new DC; it was a great move for him because he was a sitting duck at BC who was on a fast track to getting fired IMO

On paper I'm very underwhelmed with the hire. That is using logic.

But I can drink the spike Kool Aide as well

Time will tell

Joemailman
02-06-2024, 09:49 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

The Packers have the last major piece to the new defensive staff now in place. Former Chargers DC Derrick Ansley will be the new pass game coordinator, per a source. There will likely be a few quality control or assistant position coaches added but all key positions are filled.

Fritz
02-07-2024, 08:47 AM
Funny how these guys get passed around like hoes at a party.

RashanGary
02-07-2024, 08:54 AM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

The Packers have the last major piece to the new defensive staff now in place. Former Chargers DC Derrick Ansley will be the new pass game coordinator, per a source. There will likely be a few quality control or assistant position coaches added but all key positions are filled.

Interesting. He fast tracked to DC. Hafley specializing in defensive backs, kind of surprised his prize coaching hire has a similar background. That’s good though. It’s not going to hurt Hafley to be able to really focus on playcalling and strategy, especially during the season. And when teaching the assignments, it’s not going to hurt to have two guys with different angles of how they teach. Everyone learns differently.

Joemailman
02-07-2024, 09:38 AM
Interesting. He fast tracked to DC. Hafley specializing in defensive backs, kind of surprised his prize coaching hire has a similar background. That’s good though. It’s not going to hurt Hafley to be able to really focus on playcalling and strategy, especially during the season. And when teaching the assignments, it’s not going to hurt to have two guys with different angles of how they teach. Everyone learns differently.

Defensive pass game coordinators usually have a background of coaching defensive backs. Run game coordinators defensive line or linebackers. So no surprise there.

call_me_ishmael
02-07-2024, 10:02 AM
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1755255118289858673

If Rex Ryan really is open to a DC spot, it is gross negligence to not talk to him. I guess we don't know if he did, but c'mon, this is crazy to not hire that guy based on his track record of success.

Joemailman
02-07-2024, 10:33 AM
Adam Rittenberg
@ESPNRittenberg

Source: The Green Bay Packers are set to hire Miami (Ohio)’s Myles White as assistant wide receivers coach. He coached Miami’s wide receivers the past two seasons after stops at Stephen F. Austin and SMU. Football Scoop on it first.

The Packers signed White as an undrafted free agent out of Louisiana Tech in 2013. He spent two seasons in Green Bay, catching nine passes on 12 targets for 66 yards. The Packers released him before the 2015 regular season, and he went on to play for the New York Giants, New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the NFL level and Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Toronto Argonauts in the CFL before joining the coaching ranks.

run pMc
02-07-2024, 12:03 PM

If Rex Ryan really is open to a DC spot, it is gross negligence to not talk to him. I guess we don't know if he did, but c'mon, this is crazy to not hire that guy based on his track record of success.

Ryan has his agent float his name out there every year, primarily as a HC. Maybe he's changed his tune and is willing to consider a record setting salary as a DC.
Personally, I'd think the hours and longevity are better on TV. He's a brilliant defensive guy but he wears out his welcome pretty fast.

run pMc
02-07-2024, 12:05 PM
Halfling is actually putting together a somewhat decent staff. Getting a couple of guys who were considered DC candidates as position coaches is a good thing... suggests they are good at what they do.

Fritz
02-07-2024, 06:05 PM
Adam Rittenberg
@ESPNRittenberg

Source: The Green Bay Packers are set to hire Miami (Ohio)’s Myles White as assistant wide receivers coach. He coached Miami’s wide receivers the past two seasons after stops at Stephen F. Austin and SMU. Football Scoop on it first.

The Packers signed White as an undrafted free agent out of Louisiana Tech in 2013. He spent two seasons in Green Bay, catching nine passes on 12 targets for 66 yards. The Packers released him before the 2015 regular season, and he went on to play for the New York Giants, New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the NFL level and Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Toronto Argonauts in the CFL before joining the coaching ranks.

This is a crazy-weird hire. I don't follow college football any more, really, but Miami of Ohio was a middling program from a middling conference. They must love him like crazy to hire him as an NFL coach like that. It's a jump.

Cool. I like it when The Flower hires the young bucks.

Joemailman
02-07-2024, 06:46 PM
This is a crazy-weird hire. I don't follow college football any more, really, but Miami of Ohio was a middling program from a middling conference. They must love him like crazy to hire him as an NFL coach like that. It's a jump.

Cool. I like it when The Flower hires the young bucks.

White was with the Packers for 2 months in 2023 as part of Diversity Coaching Fellowship. Must have made a good impression.

Patler
02-07-2024, 07:21 PM

Why so enthusiastic about the Mannion hire? He doesn't have a day of coaching experience. I find the hire interesting, because LaFleur knows him and is willing to give him this opportunity. I see it much like the "coaching intern" opportunities we have seen former players get as their introductions to coaching. Some turn out well and go on to accomplished coaching careers. Some others never advance, and disappear from the coaching ranks. Still others try it for a few years, decide coaching is not for them and go on to other things, even if they were good coaches.

I look at this more as something for Mannion's benefit than the Packers.

Bretsky
02-07-2024, 08:22 PM
Why so enthusiastic about the Mannion hire? He doesn't have a day of coaching experience. I find the hire interesting, because LaFleur knows him and is willing to give him this opportunity. I see it much like the "coaching intern" opportunities we have seen former players get as their introductions to coaching. Some turn out well and go on to accomplished coaching careers. Some others never advance, and disappear from the coaching ranks. Still others try it for a few years, decide coaching is not for them and go on to other things, even if they were good coaches.

agree

At this point he was a WHC fire for me.

I think the coach they got from Miami has been their most impressive hire for the position they got him at. He was wanted by Phily and others.

Joemailman
02-07-2024, 09:00 PM
The Mannion signing was good for both. MLF coached Mannion in LA and had been impressed by how smart he was. He may see Mannion as an eventual replacement for Clements. It was also a good move for Mannion who was down to being a PS player.

Bretsky
02-07-2024, 10:06 PM
The Mannion signing was good for both. MLF coached Mannion in LA and had been impressed by how smart he was. He may see Mannion as an eventual replacement for Clements. It was also a good move for Mannion who was down to being a PS player.

ok, so it was great for Mannion and.......well...........we'll see

Joemailman
02-07-2024, 10:12 PM
ok, so it was great for Mannion and.......well...........we'll see

Sure. You can say that about every coach signing. There are no guarantees.

Patler
02-07-2024, 10:19 PM

It is a great opportunity for Mannion, right now. For the Packers? Time will tell. Lots of smart players fail as coaches. Not all smart people make good teachers, and when all is said and done, coaches have to be good teachers.

MLF must have a feeling about him for sure, and if he is right it could turn out well for the Packers. I will be very interested in seeing how it goes. But for now it is a fairly meaningless hire for me.

Patler
02-07-2024, 10:47 PM
Sure. You can say that about every coach signing. There are no guarantees.

Most NFL coach hires come with a history, some coaching experience on which to evaluate them. Those that don't are a shot in the dark. I feel about Mannion like I did about Rob Davis and Edgar Bennett when they came back in player development roles. It will be interesting to see where it goes. Bennett has had a nice coaching career. Davis stayed mostly in personnel roles in and out of football.

Kevin Greene seemed to be a very effective coach, but had a waivering committment to it.

bobblehead
02-08-2024, 12:10 PM
Every coach is a first time coach once. Just like identifying talent and drafting well, MiLF has a job to do in identifying quality coach material. Sometimes it will be a first time coach. I get what you are saying about curbing the enthusiasm, but hopefully MiLF is good at identifying talent.

Frozen Tundra
02-08-2024, 05:18 PM

Certainly a fair question. Actually, I've known a few things about Mannion and sorta paid attention to him periodically for quite some time. And what I've learned over the years is that this is a very interesting kind of guy.

I lived in the Twin Cities most of my adult life (we really need a "vomit" emoji here for confessions such as that). Even after escaping, I still kept up on a lot of the news there, and I've seen a few stories about Mannion.

First, he's not some stereotypical journeyman player who's just trying to hang around the league because he doesn't know anything else. His Wonderlic was 40, which roughly corresponds to an IQ of around 140 - that's "near-genius" level. After graduating and being drafted by the Rams, he completed an interdisciplinary master's degree in political science, history, and sociology, with an eye toward becoming a college professor after retiring from football. He pulled a 3.7 GPA while completing the master's, while on an NFL roster. This is a very intelligent guy, and there's no limit to the things he could do with his life outside of football.

When he was with Minnesota in 2019, Mike Zimmer raved about how smart he was and how well he understood the game, often saying that having him in the QB room was like having another coach. Kirk Cousins, who is 4 years older than Mannion, said a number of times that Mannion helped him a great deal, and credited Mannion with helping him become a more consistent quarterback. Cousins thought very highly of him.

Coaches in Seattle said the same thing, and counted on him to be a mentor to Geno Smith and Drew Lock. Seahawks GM said that having him on the practice squad was like having a second quarterback coach, and said that the coaching staff considered him a peer. He also said Mannion is probably a future head coach if he decides to take that path.

He's apparetntly been on Lafleur's mind ever since 2017, when Matt was offensive coordinator for the Rams. Everywhere the Mannion's been, all the way back to high school, coaches and teammates have been impressed with his intelligence, his leadership, and his teaching skills. He's the only 3-year captain in the history of the Oregon State football program, having been voted in by his teammates every year from sophomore on.

I'm convinced this is a very good hire. He'll apparently be part of a 3-man coaching group, working all season under and with both QB coach Tom Clemens and WR coach/passing game coordinator Jason Vrable to help Jordan Love and the receivers. Lafleur said Clemens is coming back in 24 for one more year, but there is no guarantee he'll be back in 25. I think he expects Mannion to replace Clements when he does finally leave, and I think he has good reason to be confident in that. I believe this was a very smart move by Lafleur and Gutekunst.

Edit: Oh, and a bonus - a number of Vikings fans are majorly, majorly pissed that he came to work for us. Many of them have been clamoring for years already that the Vikings should just offer him a coaching job and ask him to retire as a player, and apparently quite a lot of them just assumed that when he did retire, he'd coach for them. Some of them are throwing tantrums and others are crying like babies.:razz:

run pMc
02-08-2024, 11:57 PM
Mannion is positioned to succeed Clemets as QB coach. That's what this is about.
I don't know if he'll be any good at coaching - FT's comments sure make it sound like he could be - but if MLF likes him and McVay & Co. drafted him in R3 then there's something there. If nothing else he can learn from Clements and carry on developing Jordan Love when Clements hangs it up for good. Dude is 70 and was living in AZ, he's probably not doing this much longer.

KYPack
02-10-2024, 11:19 PM
Most NFL coach hires come with a history, some coaching experience on which to evaluate them. Those that don't are a shot in the dark. I feel about Mannion like I did about Rob Davis and Edgar Bennett when they came back in player development roles. It will be interesting to see where it goes. Bennett has had a nice coaching career. Davis stayed mostly in personnel roles in and out of football.

Kevin Greene seemed to be a very effective coach, but had a waivering committment to it.

KG's wifey no like Green Bay.

Same thing happened to Lombardi.

Frozen Tundra
02-10-2024, 11:39 PM
It is a great opportunity for Mannion, right now. For the Packers? Time will tell. Lots of smart players fail as coaches. Not all smart people make good teachers, and when all is said and done, coaches have to be good teachers.

MLF must have a feeling about him for sure, and if he is right it could turn out well for the Packers. I will be very interested in seeing how it goes. But for now it is a fairly meaningless hire for me.

I know I'm probably being overly optimistic about this, and your take on it is a pretty sensible counterpoint. Odds are, the ultimate outcome will land somewhere between my enthusiasm and your pragmatism. Usually the way the world works. Im just crossing my fingers and hoping the needle ends up pointing more toward the positive end of the scale.

It'll probably be a while before we really know, but yeah... as you say, it'll be interesting to watch this develop.

Frozen Tundra
02-10-2024, 11:55 PM
Mannion is positioned to succeed Clemets as QB coach. That's what this is about.
I don't know if he'll be any good at coaching - FT's comments sure make it sound like he could be - but if MLF likes him and McVay & Co. drafted him in R3 then there's something there. If nothing else he can learn from Clements and carry on developing Jordan Love when Clements hangs it up for good. Dude is 70 and was living in AZ, he's probably not doing this much longer.

Is it Arizona? Sorry, I thought it was California for some reason. But yeah, at his age, I'm skeptical he'll be back in 25.

I guess we'll see how it turns out. I have high hopes, but try to keep them in perspective. I doubt he'll ever be another Tom Clements, because Clements seems to be a once-in-lifetime quarterbck guru - but even if he falls short of that, there's still plenty of room or him to turn out to be pretty good. I'm just hoping that he'll be a good replacement for Clements, even if he isn't Tom Clements II.

The Shadow
02-16-2024, 12:05 PM
If Joe Whitt had only remained as a defensive coach, we could have had the Haf-Whitt Defense.

Fritz
02-16-2024, 01:31 PM
If Joe Whitt had only remained as a defensive coach, we could have had the Haf-Whitt Defense.

Hh ha!

Very Whitty.

Frozen Tundra
02-16-2024, 02:09 PM

I'm sure that the first bad game the defense plays, half the board will make his new nickname "Halfwit" anyway.

Bretsky
02-16-2024, 10:31 PM

I don't think the Flower wanted a strong personaity as his defensive coordinator. Hopefully this guy works out.

From the sounds of it, GB did not attempt to reach out to Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy this round

Joemailman
02-19-2024, 11:24 AM
Good stuff with Andy Herman interviewing Justis Mosqueda about the defensive adjustments Packers will be going through in 2024.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL1BoLuqJh0&t=16s

Deputy Nutz
02-20-2024, 08:02 AM
I don't think the Flower wanted a strong personaity as his defensive coordinator. Hopefully this guy works out.

From the sounds of it, GB did not attempt to reach out to Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy this round

As we all know, JL is now in Denver running their secondary. Means I am going to have to spend more time in Denver and gets some Bronco gear. I do know that JL did not want to return to College football. Obviously the landscaper of the once greatest sport on the planet is changing for the worse, and college coaches are bailing for the NFL. At least NFL players sign contracts and can't just get up and leave after 6 months when some other team offers them more money.

call_me_ishmael
02-20-2024, 10:06 AM
I have a hunch JL burned the bridge with MILF the first go round. He never should have went to the media and I think it would have been fine. Or if he went to the media, don't say he was offered the job, just say the timing wasn't right, etc. Stupid on his part.

bobblehead
02-20-2024, 03:23 PM
I have a hunch JL burned the bridge with MILF the first go round. He never should have went to the media and I think it would have been fine. Or if he went to the media, don't say he was offered the job, just say the timing wasn't right, etc. Stupid on his part.

Agreed, but so it holding grudges to the point it hurts oneself. Personally I think Jimmy was the best fit because he was a Wisconsin guy that probably would have loved to stay in the state. He probably would have been just a bit less likely to look for a HC job. Not saying he would have turned it down if offered the moon, just that we probably could have kept him for awhile.

Sometimes it makes sense to rule out a guy based on personal reasons, but more often you hurt yourself.

Deputy Nutz
02-21-2024, 07:37 AM

Wrong.

call_me_ishmael
02-21-2024, 01:59 PM
Wrong.

Share what you know. Mine is pure conjecture. I still think going to the media and saying "listen they offered me the job, I didn't want it" was some bush league BS.

run pMc
02-21-2024, 03:31 PM
Do you think Leonhard could get a HC gig in college? If so, why didn't he?
Why did he take a DB coaching gig in the pros?

My guess is he sees the transfer portal/NIL nonsense and decided he wanted a 9-5 for at least part of the year (i.e., now) in the pros, but the best he could get after the last round of interviews was a positional coach job, not a DC job. It's entirely possible his time as an analyst made him a less-hot prospect, but the smoke around the Packers DC interviews does make you wonder. It feels like an overreaction for NO team to interview the guy for DC, but who knows. MLF wasn't bringing him in to get rejected again.

MadtownPacker
02-21-2024, 07:49 PM
Maybe Leonard is building and waiting for the Packers HC gig to be available.

Bretsky
02-22-2024, 12:11 AM
Wrong.

what is wrong about that ?

Fritz
02-22-2024, 06:23 AM
Do you think Leonhard could get a HC gig in college? If so, why didn't he?
Why did he take a DB coaching gig in the pros?

My guess is he sees the transfer portal/NIL nonsense and decided he wanted a 9-5 for at least part of the year (i.e., now) in the pros, but the best he could get after the last round of interviews was a positional coach job, not a DC job. It's entirely possible his time as an analyst made him a less-hot prospect, but the smoke around the Packers DC interviews does make you wonder. It feels like an overreaction for NO team to interview the guy for DC, but who knows. MLF wasn't bringing him in to get rejected again.

That is the odd part. For a guy so many of us were clamoring for to not even get any DC interviews . . . that's a bit odd.

sharpe1027
02-22-2024, 06:55 AM
Maybe JL is an absolutely terrible interviewer. Or he isn't just looking for the most money or flashiest title. Maybe he prefers the NFL and teaching DBs is something he really likes.

Deputy Nutz
02-22-2024, 09:01 AM
Share what you know. Mine is pure conjecture. I still think going to the media and saying "listen they offered me the job, I didn't want it" was some bush league BS.

I think you are making that last part up. He didn't go to the media. If Leonhard was the right guy for the job 3 years ago and it didn't work out, then you are saying MLF had too big of an ego to reach back out to him because he felt rejected the first time? This isn't how the big boys play the game. I am not even sure he was officially offered the DC job in Green Bay. He took an interview and had discussions. The media got wind of it and he had to address it because he was still the defensive coordinator of the Badgers. I can't say for certain that he didn't want the job, I do know, he knew what kind of commitment it takes to work that job in the NFL, and at the time he was living in his college hometown making million a year as the DC at Wisconsin, he had young children and his wife was happy. Happy wife, happy life. Then Wisconsin spurned him good, he committed to a job he didn't actually need. He didn't want to be the head coach when Paul was there. He applied because he felt it was what was best for the program. He was lead down a road where he believed he was going to be the next head coach of the Badgers and it was all blown to pieces at the final hour. that I can say was a shock to the system.

Obviously the college landscape has changed dramatically since then. The NFL is now a less consuming job than college. It's crazy to say it, but the lid has been blown off college ball and its down right disgusting what the power brokers have done to the game.

Patler
02-22-2024, 09:02 AM

Why would (should) they have? If he was offered and rejected the job just three years ago, I wouldn't have wasted time with him this time around either. Especially if he had seemed genuinely interested during the last interviews. For whatever reason, he did not see it as a good fit three years ago, why would it be now, just three short years later.

I thought it was a bit of a shot in the dark with him last time anyway. Quite often upper level NFL hires directly from college, of coaches with no prior NFL coaching experience do not go well. There are often growing pains.

Leonard is in a great position professionally now anyway, as the passing game coordinator/DB coach for his intro to NFL coaching. If he works out in that, he will get DC opportunities again soon.

Deputy Nutz
02-22-2024, 09:15 AM
Maybe JL is an absolutely terrible interviewer. Or he isn't just looking for the most money or flashiest title. Maybe he prefers the NFL and teaching DBs is something he really likes.

Interviewing isn't the issue. You are right on the last couple of sentences.

It eventually is about the money. I will say that he has turned down many jobs while he was the defensive coordinator for the badgers. He passed on Aranda money. If you don't have a current job and you keep passing on jobs those offers will eventually go away. It was sort of time to cash in and make the jump to the NFL.

From what I have heard the Denver job is a good jumping in point. He gets to run the secondary this year with potential to move up in the future. It's a win win at the moment. Payton was the head coach when Leonhard was with the Saints for cup of coffee. The connection is through the Ryan Defensive Tree of Coaches.

For Comparison sake, I interviewed for a head coaching position at one of the more storied high school programs in the state of Wisconsin. In reality I didn't want the job. I didn't want to move across the state and set up a new life in a town I had never been. The football side of it would have been great, but the rest of it would have sucked. Eventually it would have been fine, but it would have been a lot to deal with in the beginning. I have way more flexibility. My kids are gonna both be in college next year, my wife's job is flexible. We are financially in a position to make it work, but like I told her - I really like my life the way it is now.

Joemailman
02-22-2024, 09:41 AM
MLF scheduled to have a PC at 2:45 followed by Hafley at 3:00.

run pMc
02-22-2024, 03:27 PM
A D1 college HC is going to make more than an NFL position coach, and probably a coordinator. Hafley is taking a pay cut to coach vs. having to recruit, and then re-recruit his own players to keep them from transferring every year. What a nightmare CFB is now.
I don't blame Leonhard for jumping to the pros as a DB coach, honestly it's probably where he should be for starters, and I think he'll ascend eventually. Denver has some decent players in the secondary that will help him look good too.

I agree with patler and others on not bringing him in for an interview; I doubt it's about ego and more about just moving on. Leonhard is more of a Rex Ryan/Pettine type, and they tried that. Then they had a Fangio copycat. Now they're going with more of a Saleh clone. I suspect it's more about what flavor of scheme MLF wants than ego or anything else. That MLF's changing his scheme tastes makes you wonder a bit. I think having a DC who can adapt will be critical. Enough teams ran Fangio's scheme where it got a bit figured out (you also need a strong pass rush for it to work, and some teams lacked that), I think that happens to every scheme eventually.

If there was a perfect defensive scheme, everyone would run it... and then Goodell would outlaw it.

Fritz
02-22-2024, 06:20 PM
Agreed, but so it holding grudges to the point it hurts oneself. Personally I think Jimmy was the best fit because he was a Wisconsin guy that probably would have loved to stay in the state. He probably would have been just a bit less likely to look for a HC job. Not saying he would have turned it down if offered the moon, just that we probably could have kept him for awhile.

Sometimes it makes sense to rule out a guy based on personal reasons, but more often you hurt yourself.

Thanks for posting that interview with Justis Mosqueda, Joe. He's pretty smart, it seems, pretty well-spoken. Wish the guy inteviewing Mosqueda hadn't said "literally" literally a dozen times, though.

An interview well worth watching.

We'll never know for sure why Leonhard didn't get an interview, and he's got another job now, so let's not be half-ass in our support of Half-ass-ly. Not until his defense gets gashed for a twenty-five yard run in the first game of the season. Then we'll get the torches and the tar-and-feathers out, pronto.

sharpe1027
02-22-2024, 07:36 PM
Interviewing isn't the issue. You are right on the last couple of sentences.

It eventually is about the money. I will say that he has turned down many jobs while he was the defensive coordinator for the badgers. He passed on Aranda money. If you don't have a current job and you keep passing on jobs those offers will eventually go away. It was sort of time to cash in and make the jump to the NFL.

From what I have heard the Denver job is a good jumping in point. He gets to run the secondary this year with potential to move up in the future. It's a win win at the moment. Payton was the head coach when Leonhard was with the Saints for cup of coffee. The connection is through the Ryan Defensive Tree of Coaches.

For Comparison sake, I interviewed for a head coaching position at one of the more storied high school programs in the state of Wisconsin. In reality I didn't want the job. I didn't want to move across the state and set up a new life in a town I had never been. The football side of it would have been great, but the rest of it would have sucked. Eventually it would have been fine, but it would have been a lot to deal with in the beginning. I have way more flexibility. My kids are gonna both be in college next year, my wife's job is flexible. We are financially in a position to make it work, but like I told her - I really like my life the way it is now.

Yeah, it's probably not due to his interview skills. My point is we don't really know what's going on. It could be any number of things. That being said, they do interviews for a reason so there's no way we can be sure his interviewing wasn't part of the problem.

Deputy Nutz
02-23-2024, 09:04 AM
I am not sure there was a problem. When you're a guy like Leonhard, that did well with his NFL money and coaching money, and you have made a name for yourself as a coach, you find the right fit for you and your family.