PDA

View Full Version : Should the Packers Start Ben Taylor?

BallHawk
09-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Should the Packers start Ben Taylor next week, over Brady Poppinga?

VegasPackFan
09-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I posted this in a notehr thread, but I think it is better suited to this one:

I think M3 has made it pretty clear that the number one goal this year is for the young players to get playing time and for every game, every play to be a learning opportunity.

The Popinga situation, I believe is a symbol of this. It is clear that he is not playing all that well, but the staff must like his upside in the future more than, say, Ben Taylor. They probably also consider him a "Packer guy".

So we will more than likely have to suffer. It doesnt look like they are going to pull these young guys.

The Leaper
09-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Yes. There will be plenty of time later this year to continue Poppinga's learning curve. Right now, we should place the most experienced players on the field against a division foe that we can beat.

Taylor should have been in the lineup from week 1. If Poppinga had been playing all preseason and looked OK, then I could understand the decision to start him. However, he played sparingly in preseason due to coming off the injury, and really did not have time to get comfortable. Taylor should've been the starter week one...until Poppinga was more up to speed or the Packers got off to a poor start after 5-6 weeks.

Brohm
09-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Not sure why he cannot jam at the line, but I would still let him go till the bye week. What really do we have to lose? We know that we are not up to snuff yet. Taylor may play better now but definately not the long term plan. One can only hope the coaches can bring out his "upside."

Edit: If he can get up to at least average at pass coverage, I think he would be a good player overall. He is excellent at run D.

The Leaper
09-17-2006, 06:14 PM
I think M3 has made it pretty clear that the number one goal this year is for the young players to get playing time and for every game, every play to be a learning opportunity.

Taylor is only 2 years older than Poppinga...and at 28, probably has 3-4 good years left in him.

I don't see how Taylor represents an "old guard" that can't possibly contribute 2-3 years down the line. His signing was a waste of money if we are merely going to write him off and assume Poppinga is the future. At this point, Poppinga has a LONG WAY to go in becoming an impact starter.

BallHawk
09-17-2006, 06:14 PM
What really do we have to lose?

The spic of confidence we have left.

Brohm
09-17-2006, 06:16 PM
What really do we have to lose?

The spic of confidence we have left.

Oops, my bad. I thought we lost that when we couldn't win the game after forcing 3 consecutive turnovers in the first quarter and being spotted 13 points. :razz:

BallHawk
09-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah, we fell asleep after that.

jack's smirking revenge
09-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Popp made too many visible errors and looked like he was racing to catch up for most of the game. Give Taylor a try.

tyler

digitaldean
09-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Poppinga does OK vs. the run. But vs. the pass he needs too much work to justify making him the starter.

VegasPackFan
09-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Taylor is only 2 years older than Poppinga...and at 28, probably has 3-4 good years left in him.

I don't see how Taylor represents an "old guard" that can't possibly contribute 2-3 years down the line. His signing was a waste of money if we are merely going to write him off and assume Poppinga is the future. At this point, Poppinga has a LONG WAY to go in becoming an impact starter.

Even if you disagree, I think what I am saying explains why they are not benching Popinga.

Until they do, what I see is that they simply are playing the guys they want to develop and keep around as "Packer guys". For some reason, I think Ben Taylor is not on that list (at least for long term).

I cant thnk of any other reasonable explanation for why they havent pulled Popinga in either of the first 2 games when he was clearly struggling.

red
09-17-2006, 07:40 PM
i have no clue why we aren't seeing taylor at least get a shot.

pop sucks right now, period

like leaper said, if we're not going to give taylor his shot, then why the hell even sign the guy in the first place?

Mazzin
09-17-2006, 08:03 PM
I personally think that we should start Poppinga, and on 2 and LONG, or 3rd and LONG (basically passing situations) Put in Taylor, or just put in carrol, and leave in hawk and barnett!

Willard
09-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I personally think that we should start Poppinga, and on 2 and LONG, or 3rd and LONG (basically passing situations) Put in Taylor, or just put in carrol, and leave in hawk and barnett!

In obvious passing situations I think the Pack is going into a nickel. They pull out Popp and put in Carroll. This is happening already. So is Popp getting burned on 1st down & 2nd and short?

FritzDontBlitz
09-17-2006, 08:53 PM
put taylor in. yes, he's average, but floppinga is only half a player.

if he would have held onto the pick my vote might have been different.