PDA

View Full Version : NFL Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Joemailman
03-21-2024, 06:59 PM
Bad career move for this guy. He started every game for Lions last year.

The Detroit Lions on Thursday released veteran cornerback Cameron Sutton, who is still wanted by police in Florida because of his alleged involvement in a domestic violence case.

Sutton is facing a charge of domestic battery by strangulation, a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Phil Martello, a spokesperson for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, told ESPN on Thursday that authorities have continued to try to contact Sutton's attorney.

Police have been unable to locate Sutton since March 7, when the arrest warrant was issued. Police had responded to a call early that morning at a house in Lutz, Florida, where Sutton allegedly battered a woman before fleeing the scene.

bobblehead
03-22-2024, 11:32 AM
in 2030 tackling will be outlawed and it will just be flag football.

Look, I don't like seeing players get injured and falling on the back of someone's legs is dangerous, but the rules increasingly limit a defense in what they can do to stop a player or an offense...and it's a little frustrating. Can you hip drop tackle without smashing your weight on a player's ankles?

.If you can barely play defense, there is no point in doing anything except drafting offense, or better yet just make it like the Pro Bowl where nobody bothers playing defense and nobody watches it.

Just think about the QB rules. First they said no head contact so players started going low. Then you can only hit from numbers to thighs. So guys drilled them in the mid section and fell on them. Then you couldn't fall on them. I don't mind protecting a QB in the pocket, but if you leave the pocket you are a runner. All bets should be off.

Fritz
03-22-2024, 11:56 AM
Bad career move for this guy. He started every game for Lions last year.

The Detroit Lions on Thursday released veteran cornerback Cameron Sutton, who is still wanted by police in Florida because of his alleged involvement in a domestic violence case.

Sutton is facing a charge of domestic battery by strangulation, a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Phil Martello, a spokesperson for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, told ESPN on Thursday that authorities have continued to try to contact Sutton's attorney.

Police have been unable to locate Sutton since March 7, when the arrest warrant was issued. Police had responded to a call early that morning at a house in Lutz, Florida, where Sutton allegedly battered a woman before fleeing the scene.

The difference between the "old" Lions and the "new" Lions - and I am sorry to say this - is that in the past they'd have hung onto the guy, made excuses ("We're looking into this"), and poisoned the team. Now, they cut bait. It's uncomfortable to see them looking like a professional organization these days.

Frozen Tundra
03-22-2024, 07:22 PM
Kansas City is having to make more and more decisions about who to pay. New Orleans just signed 26-year old linebacker Willie Gay for a 1 year deal worth $3-5M.

That seems like it would have been a great move for Green Bay.

KYPack
03-23-2024, 12:43 AM
Gay would be a good SAM
Quay at Will

Joemailman
03-23-2024, 09:35 AM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Trade: Chiefs are finalizing a deal to send franchise CB L’Jarius Snead to the Titans, per league sources.

Chiefs are expected to receive a 2025 3rd-round pick, in addition to a 2024 7th-round pick flop, while Snead will sign a new contract. Trade is pending physical for Sneed.

Chiefs will save about 20 million in cap space, giving them about 27 million.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-23-2024, 09:43 AM
Gay would be a good SAM

Now that’s what I’d call an elegant pun, assuming you’re referencing Michael Sam. I’ll yield to Prof Fritz with respect to said pun being homophonic or homographic.

KYPack
03-23-2024, 10:20 AM
Now that’s what I’d call an elegant pun, assuming you’re referencing Michael Sam. I’ll yield to Prof Fritz with respect to said pun being homophonic or homographic.

Yeah, and you'd be wrong. A SAM is a strong side backer in a 4-3 under defense. BC you never played any ball , you don't understand any football jargon.
You could fool more people as to your own heroic (and imaginary) status as a high school legend if you kept your mouth shut. But you won't and you can't do either.

Joemailman
03-26-2024, 12:15 PM
NFL planning on 2 Christmas Day games. Christmas is on a Wednesday.

texaspackerbacker
03-26-2024, 04:58 PM
Isn't Wednesday the only day of the week when they've never played games?

Fritz
03-28-2024, 05:56 AM
Loins' GM Brad Holmes seems to be having a good offseason, except for having to cut that punk CB. Though that was the right move.

Said in a press conference he got every "Plan A" free agent he wanted, and I believe him.

Weird that the NFC North seems to be shaping up in the near future to be the Loins and the Packers. Bears' and Vikings' GM's don't seem to have much of a plan (I wonder what Ras is thinking about his team's management and offseason).

run pMc
03-28-2024, 11:14 AM
All GMs are going to say they have a successful offseason blah blah blah. In DET's case, they actually did do pretty well. DJ Reader is a good get, and so is Carlton Davis. Their secondary was supposed to be improved last year but were still shaky at times. I think they will be a tough out, especially in their dome. Campbell has them drinking the KoolAid, and they managed to keep both their OC and DC from leaving for HC jobs.

CHI will take Caleb and he will be an occasional problem for GB. He's a good QB but I don't trust CHI to develop him properly. He'll have a defense to help him out and some good if aging skill players. That OL is still not great though.

MIN will move up to take the QB3 or QB4, depending on how high they can get and what they are willing to give up in picks/players to do so. KOC is a good coach and I actually think he could develop a QB if everyone there stays patient. If they get Drake Maye they will absolutely be a problem with their skill players, OL, and defense. If they get McCarthy or Daniels or one of the other guys I'm less worried. Not that they are bad players, but they have more warts to work thru and I have doubts they will have that much patience.

DET will be good now and they have a nice window, but with Goff aging and two years from now being potentially the worst QB in the division, you have to wonder. GB is going to push all these teams, especially DET and have a good chance to win the NFCN.

Joemailman
03-29-2024, 11:18 AM
Offseason workout schedule:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJ2aQiHW4AAM_nz?format=jpg&name=medium

texaspackerbacker
03-29-2024, 01:28 PM
I really don't think the Lions are gonna be anything special. They may be the second best in the division pretty much by default, as the Vikings are getting worse and the Bears are still gonna suck even with draft picks, etc. that should reduce that sucking factor. The Lions are similar - they're doomed to have mediocrity as their ceiling, especially with Goff as their QB.

Ratatouille
04-01-2024, 11:43 AM
I find this just as surprising as LaFleur. How can there not be communication between the front office & head coach. Does Green Bay have a cell phone blind spot like Rodgers' house in California?

"It kind of caught me off guard, to be honest with you,” LaFleur told the Wisconsin State Journal. “There were some other things in play, obviously with Aaron Jones, and I didn’t quite know how everything was going to go. It just happened really fast on that Monday."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/01/packers-matt-lefleur-aaron-jones-cut-josh-jacobs

Anti-Polar Bear
04-01-2024, 02:37 PM
I find this just as surprising as LaFleur. How can there not be communication between the front office & head coach. Does Green Bay have a cell phone blind spot like Rodgers' house in California?

"It kind of caught me off guard, to be honest with you,” LaFleur told the Wisconsin State Journal. “There were some other things in play, obviously with Aaron Jones, and I didn’t quite know how everything was going to go. It just happened really fast on that Monday."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/01/packers-matt-lefleur-aaron-jones-cut-josh-jacobs

Silos, yo.

Fritz
04-01-2024, 03:27 PM

Or maybe The Flower was apprised of the possibilities, but then things happened fast and Guter didn't have time to contact his head coach, and since he'd already informed The Flower that it might happen, it's not that big of a deal. Could be that, too.

bobblehead
04-02-2024, 07:22 AM
Or he could have meant it caught him off guard that the guy who played like 5 full games wouldn't take a pay cut.

Fritz
04-02-2024, 11:18 AM
Well, as far as I can tell, Jones was willing to take a pay cut - just not one as big as the Packers wanted him to take.

bobblehead
04-02-2024, 03:16 PM
In other news rumors swirling around Justin Simmons in green and gold....although when I read the article it sounded sort of like "it would make sense" more than any meat on the bone.

run pMc
04-02-2024, 04:11 PM
Smells like a fanpost, not actual news.

Gute's recent comments sure made it sound like he wants to draft and develop a safety to play alongside McKinney, I think he'll take one in Day 2 and then a flier on another in Day 3. If all the good prospects get snapped up I think he'll revisit FA, but I don't think he wants to add another veteran and end up with a $25M safety group.

It would make sense only if they don't come out of the draft with a S before R4.

Joemailman
04-03-2024, 11:22 AM
Stefon Diggs must have really worn out his welcome in Buffalo.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini

Breaking: The Buffalo Bills are trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans in exchange for a 2025 second-round pick (via the Vikings).

The Texans also receive a 2025 fifth-round pick and sixth-round pick.

Jason_OTC
@Jason_OTC

The #Bills will carry about $31.1 million in dead money for Diggs. Pretty much a disaster extension for them. Wound up paying an extra $20.9M in 2022 and 2023 to come away with a net of less than a 2nd rounder next year.

run pMc
04-03-2024, 11:38 AM
Stefon Diggs must have really worn out his welcome in Buffalo.

Wow, yeah they really wanted to get rid of him. I've heard McDermott is...not a good coach. Blames everyone else etc.
Diggs was a prima donna in MIN. He's kind of a high strung guy. $31M in dead money is a LOT. Teams are going to start getting smarter about some of these contracts to avoid those hits.
BUF losing a number of players. They'll have to retool at WR without Davis and Diggs.

MadtownPacker
04-03-2024, 02:11 PM
Maybe Diggs called out Allen for not living up to the hype?

Guess I better not throw stones. Packers might be having some hard financial WR choices to make in a few years.

bobblehead
04-04-2024, 11:52 AM
Maybe Diggs called out Allen for not living up to the hype?

Guess I better not throw stones. Packers might be having some hard financial WR choices to make in a few years.

Just give Wicks a 10 year extension right now. I'm drinking the kool aid on him.

Bretsky
04-04-2024, 05:59 PM
Just give Wicks a 10 year extension right now. I'm drinking the kool aid on him.

Me too

He's our star IMO

call_me_ishmael
04-05-2024, 01:08 AM
Why on earth would the texans make that trade? They're a young and impressionable team and Diggs is toxic.

Bretsky
04-05-2024, 02:58 AM
Why on earth would the texans make that trade? They're a young and impressionable team and Diggs is toxic.

THey are trying to win soon and win NOW while their rookie SuperStar QB is not getting paid. They didn't give up much for Diggs.

Fritz
04-05-2024, 07:51 AM

If the Packers draft Kool-Aid Mckinstry, that's gonna be a loaded phrase.

bobblehead
04-05-2024, 10:59 AM
If the Packers draft Kool-Aid Mckinstry, that's gonna be a loaded phrase.

I don't really want him, and I can't help but saying McKthirsty every time I mention him.

Fritz
04-05-2024, 11:42 AM
I don't really want him, and I can't help but saying McKthirsty every time I mention him.

Knowing almost nothing about the guy except for his crazy name and that someone said he might be lazy, I'd be curious as to why you don't really want him.

bobblehead
04-06-2024, 01:11 PM
Knowing almost nothing about the guy except for his crazy name and that someone said he might be lazy, I'd be curious as to why you don't really want him.

Its mainly the "lazy" thing. He isn't a self starter by most accounts which often means you get a guy who got by being the best athlete on the field and once they get in the NFL they don't do the necessary things to stay that way. I am only basing this on the reports and the 2 games I saw him play where he struck me as similar to Antonio Cromartie when it came to wanting to tackle a tough RB.

Fritz
04-07-2024, 08:10 AM
Its mainly the "lazy" thing. He isn't a self starter by most accounts which often means you get a guy who got by being the best athlete on the field and once they get in the NFL they don't do the necessary things to stay that way. I am only basing this on the reports and the 2 games I saw him play where he struck me as similar to Antonio Cromartie when it came to wanting to tackle a tough RB.

Yeah, I am tired of guys who turn down tackles. Yuk.

Joemailman
05-01-2024, 10:10 PM
Packers QB Alex McGough now listed on roster as WR. He has no known history as a WR.

run pMc
05-02-2024, 02:02 PM
Packers QB Alex McGough now listed on roster as WR. He has no known history as a WR.

This is a baffling move to me. He's not athletic enough to stick at WR, and he's like 28 or 29 years old.

MadScientist
05-02-2024, 02:55 PM
This is a baffling move to me. He's not athletic enough to stick at WR, and he's like 28 or 29 years old.

Last ditch attempt to be useful enough for the practice squad.

Joemailman
05-02-2024, 04:15 PM
In a totally expected move, Packers declined to pick up the 5th year option on Eric Stokes. If the Packers had picked up the option, they would have owed Stokes 12.472 million in 2025.

RashanGary
05-02-2024, 08:36 PM

We have a young talented receiver room. This guy is a smart, gritty ball player. He’s experienced in the offense from the quarterbacks perspective. He’s close with Love. I don’t think any harm can come with this guy being in the receivers room with these young guys who could use the direction on how to get on the same page with the quarterbacks room.

Scott Campbell
05-03-2024, 08:02 AM
We have a young talented receiver room. This guy is a smart, gritty ball player. He’s experienced in the offense from the quarterbacks perspective. He’s close with Love. I don’t think any harm can come with this guy being in the receivers room with these young guys who could use the direction on how to get on the same page with the quarterbacks room.

That might now be his best use on this team. Can he make extra points?

bobblehead
05-04-2024, 11:54 AM

If only we had a Rasul Douglas in the CB room. I know, horse/dead

bobblehead
05-14-2024, 01:20 AM
Jerod Goff. 53M/yr 170M guaranteed.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2024, 01:30 AM
Jerod Goff. 53M/yr 170M guaranteed.

Holy crap.

Jordan's price just went up again. I've gotta believe he'll average > $55M/year now. There's no sense dragging it out. Just get it done.

run pMc
05-14-2024, 09:37 AM
I think they're waiting for the Devondre June 1 cap space to get the Jordan Love deal done, but I'm sure they are already fine tuning the numbers and well into conversations.

That Goff contract though. Oof.

Fritz
05-14-2024, 05:57 PM
How many years is the Goff deal essentially locked in? The guy is good, he's solid - but wow.

Joemailman
05-14-2024, 06:21 PM
How many years is the Goff deal essentially locked in? The guy is good, he's solid - but wow.

Haven't seen details, but supposedly the contract runs through 2027 with an option for 2028.

Fritz
05-15-2024, 07:08 AM
He is a good NFL QB, but to my way of thinking, Goff throws interceptions at key moments and is not at all a threat to run. But man, maybe that’s the going rate for QB’s. Packers better get this done before Justin Fields gets a new contact for $50 mill a year.