PDA

View Full Version : Brian Noble

Kiwon
09-17-2006, 06:51 PM
It was good to hear Brian Noble again on "Packers OT" radio program.

He's a straight shooter and had some very candid analysis regarding the Packers talent level, TT, and the situation he inherited from Mike Sherman.

He also noted that Farve has never had in his career the one established superstar receiver (a la TO) that defenses had to change their game plan to defend and that the demise of the Pack's O-line has effectively diminished the running threat posed by Ahman Green.

Further, he commented that Mike Wahl should have been resigned and that his deal with Carolina has become a bargain based upon the pay scale of Guards today and the NFL's new TV contract that raised the salary cap.

Interesting analysis....

lord favre
09-17-2006, 06:59 PM
It was good to hear Brian Noble again on "Packers OT" radio program.

He's a straight shooter and had some very candid analysis regarding the Packers talent level, TT, and the situation he inherited from Mike Sherman.

He also noted that Favre has never had in his career the one established superstar receiver (a la TO) that defenses had to change their game plan to defend and that the demise of the Pack's O-line has effectively diminished the running threat posed by Ahman Green.

Further, he commented that Mike Wahl should have been resigned and that his deal with Carolina has become a bargain based upon the pay scale of Guards today and the NFL's new TV contract that raised the salary cap.

Interesting analysis....

He's full of crap, Sterling Sharpe was the second best receiver (Jerry Rice #1) in the league before his neck injury and trust me D's game planned aroud the guy.

You know, John Elway never had a HOF receiver either and it didn't stop him from winning 2 rings.

red
09-17-2006, 07:19 PM
sterling was only there for the first 2 or 3 years out of 15

he was a stud WR though

Fritz
09-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Two or three years is more than "never."

And how many teams have a superstar receiver, anyway?

Patler
09-17-2006, 07:42 PM

But that's just talking to talk. Keeping Wahle had absolutely nothing to do with the pay scale for guards in 2006. What it did involve was whether or not in April 2005 a deal could be worked out that could be fit under the salary cap at that time. It had nothing to do with what their cap room was in September. It had to work in April, before Sharper, Luchey and others were released, with Franks carrying the "tag" value, and with the full alotment required to be set aside for the "rookie pool". At the time the Packers had to release Wahle and even Ruegamer to barely get under the cap number. They had very little flexibility.

Patler
09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Favre hasn't been "weaponless".

For several years Freeman was considered one the best possession receivers in the league.
He has a succession of good receiving runningbacks, Bennett, Levens, Green, Fisher.
Henderson is one of the best FBs in the passing game.
At times he has had very good TEs in the passing game.
The last 4 years he has had Driver.

No, there isn't one receiver you associate with Favre, but through most of the time he has had a number of weapons, until last year when he was mostly down to just one, Driver.

red
09-17-2006, 07:53 PM
don't forget robert brooks, that guy was damn good for his 1 year after sharpe

he's had some good WR, but for the most part he hasn't had that randy moss, jerry rice, TO type of WR, where the d is focusing their whole game on just that guy.

but then again, other then those 3, there really haven't been any of those types of wr's

b bulldog
09-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Chumura,Jackson,Walker,Driver,freeman,Brooks,Rison ,levens,green and Sharpe were all very solid but Sharpe was a gamechanger.

red
09-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Chumura,Jackson,Walker,Driver,freeman,Brooks,Rison ,levens,green and Sharpe were all very solid but Sharpe was a gamechanger.

don't forget edgar

b bulldog
09-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I have 34's jersey but I think he was good but not in the others league unless the field conditions were sloppy, he was a good mudder!

VegasPackFan
09-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I have always felt that Favre didnt really get a chance to grow and become a great QB until Sharpe was gone. He used to almost exclusively look for Sharpe on every play.

As soon as Sharpe went down, favre was forced to actually run the offense.

Willard
09-17-2006, 08:20 PM

don't forget edgar

And then there's Taco........

b bulldog
09-17-2006, 08:20 PM
I agree with you but Sterling was a truely great WR.

Kiwon
09-17-2006, 08:42 PM
I took Noble's comments about an established superstar wide receiver to mean someone like Jerry Rice or TO - an elite wide receiver who's very reputation factors into how a defense is constructed.

I'm not even sure a Michael Irvin or Chris Carter would fit into the category that he was describing - IMO, a wide receiver "Reggie White" free agent type of signing.

Sterling was talented, but Brett was still learning his position when the two played together. They were not playing on the same level.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear Brian Noble on the radio again. I appreciate his good-natured candor as opposed to the mean-spirited criticism that is all too common in sports media.

swede
09-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Brian mentioned Sterling Sharpe right away. He said Wolf sincerely regretted never getting Favre another weapon like Sterling Sharpe.

b bulldog
09-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Is he going to be back on the radio on a weekely basis?

swede
09-17-2006, 08:54 PM
I didn't hear him say, but he sounded a lot more serious than he has in the past. There were times a few years back when he sounded out and out drunk during the post game shows.

woodbuck27
09-18-2006, 02:33 AM
Favre hasn't been "weaponless".

For several years Freeman was considered one the best possession receivers in the league.
He has a succession of good receiving runningbacks, Bennett, Levens, Green, Fisher.
Henderson is one of the best FBs in the passing game.
At times he has had very good TEs in the passing game.
The last 4 years he has had Driver.

No, there isn't one receiver you associate with Favre, but through most of the time he has had a number of weapons, until last year when he was mostly down to just one, Driver.

Favre to Freeman TOUCHDOWN was witnessed 57 times !!

ANTONIO FREEMAN Brett Favre's TOP TD target in his Career.

Antonio Freeman Receiving

| Year....TM.....G ......Rec..Yards.. Y/R... TD

| 1995 gnb | 11 | .....8 ....106.. 13.2... .1
| 1996 gnb | 12 |.....56... 933.. 16.7.. .9
| 1997 gnb | 16 |.....81...1243.. 15.3...12
| 1998 gnb | 15 |......84..1424.. 17.0.. 14
| 1999 gnb | 16 | .....62....912.. .14.7... .9
2000 gnb | 15 |......62... 912.. 14.7.....9
| 2001 gnb | 16 |...... 2... 818.. 15.7.. . 6
| 2002 ph 16 ...... 46... 600.... 13.0....4
| 2003 gnb | 15....... 14.... 141... 10.1.... 0
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| TOTAL | 132 |......477...7251... 15.2... 61 (57 TD's Green Bay Packers)