PDA

View Full Version : Official NFL Draft 1st Round Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

King Friday
04-25-2024, 10:08 PM
Basically OL is a bigger need right now, yeah?

Yes, but value is better at DB right now in my mind. You can still go wild on OL with our next few picks.

Fosco33
Dude sounds like Eddie murphy

red
our pick is in, and we didn't wait to send it in

had like 7 minutes left on the clock

no hesitation

smuggler
04-25-2024, 10:09 PM
He seems like the kind of player to bust, to me, but I'll reserve judgment.

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 10:09 PM
I mean I wanted Jordan Morgan all along. Just not here.

Frozen Tundra
04-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Basically OL is a bigger need right now, yeah?

No, not at all. Not as urgent and immediate. We need depth more at OL, but 1st-year starters at DB (expecially safety).

King Friday
Barton would have been a better pick.

Scott Campbell
Hmmm. Does Sean Rhyan start?

red
yuck

Rastak
Night guys.

Bretsky
04-25-2024, 10:12 PM
Both would be great options.....so....does that mean we're taking an OL ?

I'd just like to note

I was FUCKING KIDDING about the OL

jklowan
04-25-2024, 10:12 PM
Barton would have been a better pick.

agreed

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 10:13 PM
Last year to draft Pac 12 players.

Frozen Tundra
Well. Shows what we know.

I swear to god, I can't help wondering if he did it just to fuck with us.

red
so we take a guy that nobody was talking about us being interested in

thats why the whole pre draft thing is a waste of time

jklowan
should of traded down, bummer,

Joemailman
04-25-2024, 10:14 PM
Jordan Morgan

Overview
Three-year starter who displayed his resilience and work ethic by coming back and playing good football after suffering a torn ACL late in the 2022 season. Morgan is both fluid and flexible in space, with the ability to help spring running plays with second-level blocks and play-side lead blocking. He fails to secure back-side cutoffs too frequently, but improving his pad level and landmarks might fix that issue. His punch approach diminishes his pass protection length and causes him to lose connection at the top of the rush. He will need to get his hands and feet synced up in order to improve his balance and consistency against athletic rushers. He’s a capable run blocker and pass protector, and he features projectable upside with more work. Morgan has the traits and talent to become a solid starting left tackle.

Strengths
Athletic in his lower half, with ability to redirect his weight in space.

Runs his hips under his hands on drive blocks and kick-outs.

Grip strength allows him to stay connected to run blocks longer.

Well-timed combo blocks feature patience and pop.

Effective jump-set helps eliminate rush plan and stall take-off.

Very good feel for the depth of the pocket.

Slide quickness to catch inside counters.

Can flip loose hips to aid in recovery when beaten.

Weaknesses
Long-armed defensive ends stab and separate from him against the run.

Below-average landmarks see him beaten across his face on cut-off blocks.

Needs to fire his hands with greater assertiveness and reset when necessary.

Inconsistent balance and body control through contact.

Tendency to stall feet during punch contact when opening side door.

Allows weight to creep too far outside in pass slides.

smuggler
No, not at all. Not as urgent and immediate. We need depth more at OL, but 1st-year starters at DB (expecially safety).

There are no first round safeties to be had this year, so you really can't make that case, Morgan or or otherwise. Admittedly, we do need a safety, but we need a guard more than a corner.

Personally, I'd have either taken Coop or Kool-Aid

red
good, now bundle your 2 seconds to get back up to draft coop

Fosco33
04-25-2024, 10:15 PM
I mean I wanted Jordan Morgan all along. Just not here.

Wonder why not get the CB locked and maybe move up a little in 2nd if you want Morgan. Hmm.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 10:15 PM

There's the entertainment value.

red
04-25-2024, 10:17 PM
so what is this guy

is he a guard? or a short armed left tackle?

do we now move tom to center, walker to RT and this guy at LT?

do we screw up our future LT by making him play RT now, then switch the 2 tackles in a season or 2?

Vincenzo
04-25-2024, 10:17 PM

Fair enough!

Joemailman
04-25-2024, 10:19 PM
This is a good pick. Could revive the talk of moving Tom to C eventually. Morgan may get the chance to challenge for RG position in 2024.

Scott Campbell
Wonder why not get the CB locked and maybe move up a little in 2nd if you want Morgan. Hmm.

Perhaps folks will find comfort with the memories of "reaching" for Kenny Clark, or Jaire, Rashaan Gary and Jordan Love.

smuggler
Morgan is a guard. He could pay at RT, but he'd only be as good as decent.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 10:20 PM
so what is this guy

do we screw up our future LT by making him play RT now, then switch the 2 tackles in a season or 2?

I think he might be competition for Sean Rhyan.

red
04-25-2024, 10:21 PM
This is a good pick. Could revive the talk of moving Tom to C.

revive?

thats all i've been hearing for a week now since the packers "leaked" that they think tom is a "hall of fame center"

red
04-25-2024, 10:21 PM
I think he might be competition for Sean Rhyan.

so a losser?

MadScientist
04-25-2024, 10:22 PM
With the talk about Tom being a probowl center, I'm not too surprised they went OT. I'm also guessing they like Tom at center better than Barton.

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 10:23 PM
so what is this guy

He is built like zack tom. Packers have a type. They don't go for guys who are too big. Good athletes. Played LT in college.

red
04-25-2024, 10:24 PM
With the talk about Tom being a probowl center, I'm not too surprised they went OT. I'm also guessing they like Tom at center better than Barton.

hall of fame center, all pro guard, all star tackle

red
04-25-2024, 10:25 PM
so did anyone hear of him being linked to us at all in the run up to the draft?

i can't remember anyone mentioning him as a target or mocking him to us

gutey really had everyone fooled on this one

Frozen Tundra
04-25-2024, 10:26 PM
​I won't lie - I don't understand this.

I said all along, I trust Gute, and yield to his experience, his skills, and his demonstrated expertise. I absolutely meant that, and absolutely still do. I wouldn't criticize this pick even if I wanted to, because I don't know a fraction of what he knows. I am not even remotely qualified to judge or criticize.

But I do think I am qualified to be confused. And I now exercise my prerogative to wonder what the heck this was all about. It seems to me we had excellent opportunities to significantly strengthen the team in some spots where we needed improvemnet much more badly than O-line. But then again, I have never managed an NFL team for a living. So, there's that.....

Well, we have 10 more picks - 91% of the draft remains. I have total faith many of those 10 picks will make much more sense, and we're coming out of this weekend with a much stronger team than we ended the season with. Even if it doesn't look tonight the way most of us hoped or expected.

red
04-25-2024, 10:27 PM
He is built like zack tom. Packers have a type. They don't go for guys who are too big. Good athletes. Played LT in college.

wouldn't mind 5 of those guys

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 10:29 PM

I said all along, I trust Gute, and yield to his experience, his skills, and his demonstrated expertise. I absolutely meant that, and absolutely still do. I wouldn't criticize this pick even if I wanted to, because I don't know a fraction of what he knows. I am not even remotely qualified to judge or criticize.

But I do think I am qualified to be confused. And I now exercise my prerogative to wonder what the heck this was all about.

Well, we have 10 more picks - 91% of the draft remains. I have total faith many of those 10 picks will make much more sense, and we're coming out of this weekend with a much stronger team than we ended the season with. Even if it doesn't look tonight the way most of us hoped or expected.

I wouldn't read too much into other than the usual. Brian's board can vary significantly from the consensus big board.

red
04-25-2024, 10:29 PM

But I do think I am qualified to be confused. And I now exercise my prerogative to wonder what the heck this was all about.

again

what we think, and what all the "experts" think, doesn't mean shit

the only people that have any clue whats really going on is the GMs, and they are the only ones that matter

and they are doing a whole hell of a lot more research then we do

Sparkey
04-25-2024, 10:30 PM
https://www.draftdive.com/jordan-morgan-scouting-report/

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 10:30 PM
wouldn't mind 5 of those guys

We have 3 now. Walker is a tad bigger but still futs the mold. They will draft 2 more before this is done.

Bretsky
04-25-2024, 10:31 PM
Wish GB would have just traded back with the Chiefs

red
04-25-2024, 10:31 PM
is xavier worthy the guy that tested insanely well, but dropped every ball thrown his way at the combine?

MadScientist
04-25-2024, 10:32 PM
hall of fame center, all pro guard, all star tackle

That sounds like a not insignificant upgrade at center from last season.

Bretsky
04-25-2024, 10:33 PM

But I do think I am qualified to be confused. And I now exercise my prerogative to wonder what the heck this was all about. It seems to me we had excellent opportunities to significantly strengthen the team in some spots where we needed improvemnet much more badly than O-line. But then again, I have never managed an NFL team for a living. So, there's that.....

Agree with all of this

Scott Campbell
9.24 RAS.

Joemailman
so did anyone hear of him being linked to us at all in the run up to the draft?

i can't remember anyone mentioning him as a target or mocking him to us

gutey really had everyone fooled on this one

I think a lot of people had him ranked in the early-mid 30's so didn't really see him as a likely Packer pick. Obviously Gute had him ranked a bit higher.

red
04-25-2024, 10:35 PM
9.24 RAS.

thank you

so he fits the packer mold

Scott Campbell
Wish GB would have just traded back with the Chiefs

I wish the Chiefs were really hot on somebody at 25.

bobblehead

The comp to Tyron Smith is fair. Smith was probably the best run blocking left tackle in football. I forgot one thing about the Packers types guys that can make second level blocks which Morgan is excellent at.

red
04-25-2024, 10:36 PM

so the comparison is tyron smith

thats not too bad

red
04-25-2024, 10:40 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/23/unpacking-future-packers-no-7-arizona-ol-jordan-morgan/

this guy had the packers selecting morgan

also had a great senior bowl outing

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 10:41 PM
Can't have your new $50M/yr QB playing behind a leaky line. We could see another OL taken tomorrow.

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 10:42 PM
I'm still watching. Hoping we give the bills their pick back so we can draft DeJean

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 10:42 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/23/unpacking-future-packers-no-7-arizona-ol-jordan-morgan/

this guy had the packers selecting morgan

also had a great senior bowl outing

Didn't lose a single one-on-one at the Senior bowl. That alone should have tipped us off he'd be the pick.

Bretsky
04-25-2024, 10:45 PM
I don't know why, but most years I am pissed that the Ravens, or Steelers, grab guys I want for GB :)

This was an ok pick. Need pick. It just seemed like the draft was very deep with OL and not so much with CB/S so I'm kinda shocked when we had the option to get about the best DB or an OL not graded top tier by most we went with the OL

And the fact that Red is justifying the pick.....shit is a bad thing.....lol

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 10:46 PM
Turns 23 just before the season starts.

red
04-25-2024, 10:46 PM
Can't have your new $50M/yr QB playing behind a leaky line. We could see another OL taken tomorrow.

we get another o-line starter tomorrow and we could have a scary good line

its already looking much better with morgan at RG or RT and tom at center

red
04-25-2024, 10:47 PM
Didn't lose a single one-on-one at the Senior bowl. That alone should have tipped us off he'd be the pick.

yup, i saw that and i was like, well duh

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 10:48 PM
I don't know why, but most years I am pissed that the Ravens, or Steelers, grab guys I want for GB :)

This was an ok pick. Need pick. It just seemed like the draft was very deep with OL and not so much with CB/S so I'm kinda shocked when we had the option to get about the best DB or an OL not graded top tier by most we went with the OL

I take it you don't have Stokes breaking out this year.

Me neither.

red
04-25-2024, 10:48 PM
I'm still watching. Hoping we give the bills their pick back so we can draft DeJean

4 hours is too fucking long for this shit

don't be surprised if we jump up to the top of the second if theres someone there we like. we did it with watson

red
04-25-2024, 10:49 PM

nooo

its a bad thing when we agree

its a good thing when i'm right and you're wrong

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 10:52 PM
If we can move up for cooper and then get payton wilson later it would nail my top 3 prediction, just wrong order

Frozen Tundra
04-25-2024, 10:52 PM
And of course most people on this board are already aware of this, but it's still important to remember - he's not done working yet, he didn't already grab a plane back to the other side of the lake. He doesn't draft one round at a time; the 1st round is just the first piece of a strategic plan, and he has a step by step strategy for every slot at every round. He's not finished. He's barely begun. For all we know, he's going to be doing sommersaults and cartwheels all the way back to his hotel room because he can't believe how well Round 2 is setting up for him.

I guess all we can do at this point is wait and see what he does next. Let's remember, the man worked a bordeline miracle with the 2022 draft and a full blown miracle last year. I'm quite confident that there'll be at least a couple of points the next 2 days that have us all yelling "holy cow look what he did, the man is a jeenyus!!!!"

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 10:53 PM
I counted 23 offensive players taken in the first round. Holy crap.

red
04-25-2024, 10:54 PM
And of course most people on this board are already aware of this, but it's still important to remember - he's not done working yet, he didn't already grab a plane back to the other side of the lake. He doesn't draft one round at a time; the 1st round is just the first piece of a strategic plan, and he has a step by step strategy for every slot at every round. He's not finished. He's barely begun. For all we know, he's going to be doing sommersaults and cartwheels all the way back to his hotel room because he can't believe how well Round 2 is setting up for him.

I guess all we can do at this point is wait and see what he does next. Let's remember, the man worked a bordeline miracle with the 2022 draft and a full blown miracle last year. I'm quite confident that there'll be at least a couple of points the next 2 days that have us all yelling "holy cow look what he did, the man is a jeenyus!!!!"

umm

you do know that the packers war room is in green bay, right?

i doubt any of the teams are in detroit

well, maybe detroit

Frozen Tundra
04-25-2024, 11:09 PM
4 hours is too fucking long for this shit

It gave me enough time to drink the beers at a low, leisurely, measured pace, befitting my maturity as a senior citizen. Rather than slamming down one every ten minutes so there wouldn't have been any wasted beers from the 12-pack when the program was over.

But then again, it alowed me more time to lose my curds. Cheese curds are part of my game tradition - I have cheese curds on hand for every game, which also means I need to have a bag ready and loaded for draft day. I opened it at the start of the draft, but by the time we picked, I couldn't find where I put them. So I had no curds when it was our pick.

Biggest disappointment of the draft so far, as far as I'm concerned

don't be surprised if we jump up to the top of the second if theres someone there we like. we did it with watson

We might even see a couple of those moves, and I wouldn't be shocked if he made a trade that involved a player on our roster. He has contingency plans for every pick in every round, and tomorrow is when we start to get a sense of what those contingencies may be.

Gutekunst's history suggests that this should have been a year where he was very likely to make at least one trade in the 1st. The fact that he did not could mean any number of things; one of those things may be that the round played out roughly as he expected it, and didn't feel a need to move. That he was content to just left the draft come to him on this first day. We may see a different approach on Friday.

call_me_ishmael
04-25-2024, 11:13 PM
Scott fucking Campbell omg

Frozen Tundra
04-25-2024, 11:16 PM
umm

well, maybe detroit

Oh, shit... nah, never thought of that. God damn, technology just makes me feel like a dinosaur sometimes. I guess I still have this mental image of 32 tables on the floor of the room, with all these grumpy-looking old guys smoking cigarettes and talking with one another on the phones from 15 feet away.

OK, yeah, that was dumb. Let's just forget I said that.

I suppose next you're going to tell me that they have internet, too... right? Please; you gotta just ease me into this sort of thing a little bit a time.

call_me_ishmael
04-25-2024, 11:22 PM
The comp to Tyron Smith is fair. Smith was probably the best run blocking left tackle in football. I forgot one thing about the Packers types guys that can make second level blocks which Morgan is excellent at.

But Tyron Smith looks way bigger and has 3.5 inch longer arms. This is a weird looking dude. Looks small for his size to me. Who was that dude from Indy who was light as fuck on his feet but sucked balls?

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 11:39 PM
umm

well, maybe detroit

I think even Detroit brass hates being in Detroit. They probably are somewhere in Florida or along the California coast.

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 11:43 PM
But Tyron Smith looks way bigger and has 3.5 inch longer arms. This is a weird looking dude. Looks small for his size to me. Who was that dude from Indy who was light as fuck on his feet but sucked balls?

He is similar in stature to Zack Tom as I said. Smith was indeed a mauler, but if you get under guys you can get push. Morgan is a really good run blocker. Smith also didn't pass block like an elite LT. Again, Morgan might be just as good in that category.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 11:50 PM
Scott fucking Campbell omg

Partial - when/why did you change your name?

Fritz
04-26-2024, 07:28 AM
The Vikes and Loins have both gu.tted the middle of their drafts with those first-round moves. Damn.

Of course, I have no idea how good the guys they got will be. But there's more pressure on the organizations for those moves to work out, because they've got fewer picks now. Heck, I think the Vikes only have like three picks total or something crazy.

Lots of talent left in the next two rounds, I think.

Joemailman
04-26-2024, 08:57 AM
The Vikes and Loins have both gu.tted the middle of their drafts with those first-round moves. Damn.

Of course, I have no idea how good the guys they got will be. But there's more pressure on the organizations for those moves to work out, because they've got fewer picks now. Heck, I think the Vikes only have like three picks total or something crazy.

Lots of talent left in the next two rounds, I think.

Seth Heder
@sethhed

Vikings gave up

11, 42, 129, 157, 167, 188,
2025 2nd, 3rd, 4th

For Dallas Turner and jj mccarthy

No way to build a roster.

Spaulding
04-26-2024, 09:02 AM
Seth Heder
@sethhed

Vikings gave up

11, 42, 129, 157, 167, 188,
2025 2nd, 3rd, 4th

For Dallas Turner and jj mccarthy

No way to build a roster.

Ouch. Reminds of a rookie auction fantasy drafter that blows their budget on two top 10 players and has nothing left to finish his roster and then sees one of the studs go down and their team finish last in the league. Vikes better use that FA money wise to plug needs.

Fosco33
04-26-2024, 12:16 PM
Wonder if Detroit hadn’t jumped us if we would’ve taken that cb - Arnold. We’ll never know.

Fritz
04-26-2024, 01:01 PM
I was wondering the same. I don't see Stokes making a big comeback, and the Alentines are okay but . . . and Arnold seems like he's just going to be really good, all the way around.

But I do think if Guter thought that highly of him, once he slid to maybe 20 Guter would've gone and gotten him.

Well, if Captain Morgan can hold down a tackle spot for ten years, it's all good.