PDA

View Full Version : 2024 1st Round Pick #25 Overall Jordan Morgan

Joemailman
04-25-2024, 11:11 PM
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/jordan-morgan-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-and-scouting-report-631

Positional Skills:

Strengths

From a physical makeup standpoint, Morgan has the tools to be successful at the next level. While his measurements are not overwhelming on paper, Morgan is well built and has a thick frame.

In pass protection, this functional strength allows Morgan to hold his ground effectively and stay firm versus power rushers. He has strong hands and is able to land them under an opponent’s shoulders and control them from there.

Morgan has all the athletic ability he needs. He moves well in space and is able to clear out defenders he locks in on. His quick feet allow him to keep up with rushers trying to get to the edge, or catch up if he falls behind. If he looks beat, Morgan can recover and steer defenders around his quarterback.

The biggest compliment to give Morgan is that it is simply hard to beat him in pass protection. He can keep up against speed and hold up against power. There is no surefire solution. He is not flashy, but is clean, balanced and in control.

In the run game, Morgan’s can fire off the snap and quickly get into position to wall defenders off and open holes.

The athleticism Morgan shows on tape was confirmed during pre-draft testing, where he achieved a 9.24 Relative Athletic Score (RAS) out of a possible 10, putting him in the 92nd percentile of all offensive tackles who have ever taken part in pre-draft testing.

He did not complete the agility drills, but earned an ‘elite’ speed score, headlined by a 10-yard split ranking in the 98th percentile, and a ‘good’ explosion score.

Weaknesses

Despite his good functional strength, there are still times when Morgan can be susceptible to the bull rush and give up too much ground. Washington’s Bralen Trice gave him a tough time during their 2023 matchup.

At 6’5” even, he is on the shorter end for an offensive tackle, ranking in the 39th percentile historically, which could be a contributing factor, as could his shorter arms, which are more guard length than tackle length.

Morgan is not a mauler in the run game, he gets the job done just fine but is not a difference maker. In pass protection, he can overset at times and be vulnerable to inside moves.

Some teams may see Morgan as a guard in the NFL due to his shorter arms, but he has not played any significant snaps there during his career so far, making him something of a projection if he ends up playing inside.

While there is plenty that is good about Morgan, it can be argued there is nothing truly great or outstanding.

Fit with the Packers:

Overall, Morgan just gets his job done in both the pass and run game, and possesses the strength and movement ability required to continue to perform at the next level. He looks like a player who will be able to hang at tackle, rather than having to kick inside.

He fits the Packers’ general preferences at the offensive line position, in terms of both size and athleticism, although his decision not to complete the agility testing could be an issue for Green Bay.

If his shorter arms make him a guard in the Packers’ eyes, which is by no means a given, it could dissuade them from selecting him where they would need to, which is probably pick 41 at the latest.

Morgan would be a quality addition to Green Bay’s offensive line room and could compete immediately with Rasheed Walker to start at left tackle. He has a good chance of hearing his name called by the Packers on draft weekend.

Joemailman
04-25-2024, 11:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0BJH7A2Plw&t=5s

MadtownPacker
04-25-2024, 11:13 PM
Sorry Cooper lovin hoes, that other Jordan being Loved is crucial so I’m good with this pick.

Joemailman
04-25-2024, 11:21 PM
Morgan's arm length is less than ideal for a Tackle, but half an inch longer than Bakhtiari's. About 1.5 inches longer than Bulaga's.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHyNsq9XgAAR3bo.jpg

call_me_ishmael
04-25-2024, 11:28 PM
What kind of short ass arms to Bulaga whale have? My goodness. Homie is like the Dean Lowry of offensive linemen.

bobblehead
04-25-2024, 11:35 PM
Morgan's arm length is less than ideal for a Tackle, but half an inch longer than Bakhtiari's. About 1.5 inches longer than Bulaga's.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHyNsq9XgAAR3bo.jpg

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/23/unpacking-future-packers-no-7-arizona-ol-jordan-morgan/

Watch this pass rep in the video. If that isn't the Bakhtiari hug technique I don't know what is. If he can do it without getting called for holding like Bak did for a decade we got a genuine stud.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2024, 11:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0BJH7A2Plw&t=5s

At 1:00 he looks like he gets blown back onto his heels with a hump move, but makes a seemingly remarkable recovery. Any of you old lineman have an opinion?

run pMc
04-25-2024, 11:40 PM
yep, as expected, I hate the pick
also, probably woulda been there at 41

lol

Well, he's a Packer now so I'll be rooting for him. Along with Guyton he was on my do not like list. Would have preferred Barton or Dejean. In fairness, I had Rashan Gary and Jordan Love on that list in years past, so what do I know. Also, I'm a little drunk, so there's that.

Frozen Tundra
04-25-2024, 11:40 PM
I have total confidence in Gute because he does this for a living and has a very good record of demonstrated success, so I won't question this pick. If he says it's the best player available for Green Bay at this point, I have to accept that, because he's earned that deference.

But I can't help wondering what it was he saw in Morgan that just jumps out, that he couldn't have found 4 or 5 or 8 picks later if he'd dropped back. Or maybe he tried, and nobody would go for it. Who knows. Hell; maybe he's really pissed and frustrated that he couldn't work a trade. Who knows.

He just doesn't jump out at me at #25. Gute historically goes for impact players in Round One; not necessarily always immediate impact, but someone who at some point is going to be a real, significant difference maker. A guy who can change the course of the game when he's called upon. And considering that Gute has said that he feels we are in our Super Bowl window right now, I was expecting someone who would be exactly that.

But I just don't see a difference maker when i look at Morgan. He doesn't seem to bring anything that at least a half dozen other players would not have brought with them on Day Two. Not for a team that's looking to challenge for the Lombardi next February.

"While there is plenty that is good about Morgan, it can be argued there is nothing truly great or outstanding."

I trust Gute to know what he's doing and why he does it, but that's just not the summary I was hoping to hear about our 1st Round pick. If that's really the best that can still be said about him 2 or 3 years into his career, I think he's going to be remembered as a poor pick.

run pMc
04-25-2024, 11:43 PM

Bahktiari had 34 inch arms, Bulaga 33.25

https://ras.football/2019/12/24/bryan-bulaga-ras/
https://ras.football/2019/12/27/david-bakhtiari-ras/

I have no idea what you are talking about.

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2024, 12:00 AM
I obviously would have been against any O Lineman in the first round, but as was said, he's ours now, so all we can do is hope for the best. He probably will have a great career and get a lot of praise, maybe even become the new sacred cow, and all because of the excellence the Packers have at the skilled positions to make him seem better than he is. I like the idea that he's supposed to be a good run blocker and gets compared to Tyron Smith. Also, he kinda seems like the kind of versatile O Lineman the Packers like who can be plugged in pretty much anywhere in the line.

We didn't really have any urgent needs, and we still have a LOT of picks to bring in depth and take flyers on prospects or projects. So a big whatever to the first round.

One thing I also like is that most or all of our main rivals seem to have taken possible, maybe probable busts on the way to happening. I've been saying all along that the Bears were stupid to give up on Fields and take Caleb Williams.

MadtownPacker
04-26-2024, 12:04 AM
At 1:00 he looks like he gets blown back onto his heels with a hump move, but makes a seemingly remarkable recovery. Any of you old lineman have an opinion?
Well look at this, the phoenix rising. What’s up man! You like the pick mofo or Cooper crying like others?

George Cumby
04-26-2024, 12:29 AM
JoMo protecting JoLo.

Kid's feet are nifty AF.

Watching the vid Joe posted, he looks super poised and confident. One one of the runs, he get to the second level really fast.

At this point, In Gute I Trust.

Jaire
04-26-2024, 12:32 AM
Very happy with the pick. I've been crying for more OL for years. Great start to the draft. We lost the 2020 NFCCG on the Oline. Where you win in the playoffs. No complaints. No regrets from me.

I did have him off my Packers board because of injury, but at second look he's not like Mims or Guyton (huge guys that have injury & balance issues). BB seemed to really like him as well. Solid pick. Also, Gute had trade down options. So, they liked him. Biggest need imo, though I'd talked myself into saying the Oline was ok. ... not for a playoff run.

..........bonus: Minnesota gave up a ton of picks for 2 players.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2024, 02:00 AM
Well look at this, the phoenix rising. What’s up man! You like the pick mofo or Cooper crying like others?

Who knows. It's like buying lottery tickets. I like the position, as O-line play in the NFL has fallen off a cliff, and guys are really scarce.

It's looking like they got the guy they really wanted at that spot. Gute said they turned down multiple offers to move down, including one from Detroit. They also weren't able to move up high enough to get another player they were targeting. They also turned their pick in almost immediately, which I think speaks to them being happy that they got their guy.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2024, 02:04 AM
Y’all will have to wait til the draft’s conclusion for my ingenious 2024 “Mastery Mockery of a Grade,” but this Morgan pick gets a big fat F.

Ain’t too late to salvage the draft. German Shepherd has gotta find a way to draft DeJean. And RB Will Shipley!

Frozen Tundra
04-26-2024, 04:06 AM
It's looking like they got the guy they really wanted at that spot. Gute said they turned down multiple offers to move down, including one from Detroit. They also weren't able to move up high enough to get another player they were targeting. They also turned their pick in almost immediately, which I think speaks to them being happy that they got their guy.

No kidding? He said that? Well, that's really cool. Very reassuring. Like I said, he wouldn't have been my choice, and I was quite surprised, but if Gute is good with it I'll take that and not complain. The man knows his job better than I do. I did wonder whether he tried to deal it and couldn't find a dance partner, but if he was turning down legit offers because this was His Guy, I'm a lot more comfortable. I'm sure he has some plans for Day Two to fill the needs I was hoping he'd fill on Day One. Can't wait to see what they are.

Thanks for sharing that information. I sure woud be curious to know what offers he turned down, but we'll probably never know.

Frozen Tundra
04-26-2024, 04:27 AM
Y’all will have to wait til the draft’s conclusion for my ingenious 2024 “Mastery Mockery of a Grade,” but this Morgan pick gets a big fat F.

Ain’t too late to salvage the draft. German Shepherd has gotta find a way to draft DeJean. And RB Will Shipley!

The DeJean ship has likely already left port, but there are some pretty good "Plan B" safety prospects out there for Friday. As fans, we all want the shiniest objects at every single pick, but an awful lot of top teams have rosters stuffed at quite a lot of key positions who will never be pro-blowers but are still damned good. Lots of those players can be found in Day Two and Day Three.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2024, 06:11 AM
The DeJean ship has likely already left port, but there are some pretty good "Plan B" safety prospects out there for Friday. As fans, we all want the shiniest objects at every single pick, but an awful lot of top teams have rosters stuffed at quite a lot of key positions who will never be pro-blowers but are still damned good. Lots of those players can be found in Day Two and Day Three.

Unlike Bobble, who wanted the Packers to draft Lamar Jackson to play WR, I would like to see DeJean play corner in the Green and Mustard Yellow. I dig NFL oddities. DeJean ain’t gonna fall into the Pack’s lap in round 2, but they could still trade up for the him.

As for Shipley, the Packers have been trying to mimic the 69ers as of late. Packers hired a Shanahan disciple, run the 69ers offense, and with the hiring of Haf-fucked, is trying to mimic their defense. Why not draft a poor man’s CMC?

Fritz
04-26-2024, 06:37 AM

I know! Scotty Campbell, that old rogue. Glad to see him back.

You know who this pick reminds me of? The Bryan Bulaga pick back in 2010. Nobody was excited about that pick - just a ho-hum, solid guy. Granted, the Cowboys picked Dez Bryant right after that, but at the time the Pack had a stable of wide receivers.

The pick should not surprise us. There were offensive linemen flying off the board by then, and this guy hits those Green Bay traits. Athletic, big but not freaky, good work at the Senior Bowl, and most importantly, versatile. Consider:

Zach Tom
Tom Zach

Could go either way.

Jordan Morgan
Morgan Jordan

Uh-huh. See?

Like most of you, the pick doesn't excite me. However, I have to remind myself that a year ago I was fuming that the Packers passed on Brian Branch to trade back for some extra shitty later picks, and then picked some "meh" guy from Michigan State - that Jayden Reed guy. I was so pissed.

So - shows you what I know.

In Guter we trust, cuz we have no other choice.

So here's to hoping the guy ends up being one of those guys whose name you never hear called because he always does the job.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2024, 06:56 AM
^Sherrid Derrick.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2024, 06:57 AM
I know! Scotty Campbell, that old rogue. Glad to see him back.

You know who this pick reminds me of? The Bryan Bulaga pick back in 2010. Nobody was excited about that pick - just a ho-hum, solid guy. Granted, the Cowboys picked Dez Bryant right after that, but at the time the Pack had a stable of wide receivers.

The pick should not surprise us. There were offensive linemen flying off the board by then, and this guy hits those Green Bay traits. Athletic, big but not freaky, good work at the Senior Bowl, and most importantly, versatile. Consider:

Zach Tom
Tom Zach

Could go either way.

Jordan Morgan
Morgan Jordan

Uh-huh. See?

Like most of you, the pick doesn't excite me. However, I have to remind myself that a year ago I was fuming that the Packers passed on Brian Branch to trade back for some extra shitty later picks, and then picked some "meh" guy from Michigan State - that Jayden Reed guy. I was so pissed.

So - shows you what I know.

In Guter we trust, cuz we have no other choice.

So here's to hoping the guy ends up being one of those guys whose name you never hear called because he always does the job.

Sherrod Derrick.

Fritz
04-26-2024, 07:12 AM
That's not a good comparison. Sherrod was a bit more of a dancing bear - seems like this guy is a better run-blocker.

I'm not thrilled, but what do I know? The offensive linemen were flying off the board at that point, though the prosepect of Terion Arnold in the Green and Gold was exciting.

I also wanted to add this: that in trading up, the Loins gave up a third round pick, so now they have a hole in the middle of their draft - a second rounder, yes, but no third or fourth round picks.

I wonder if Minny has the same issue now after their recent first-round trade.

Joemailman
04-26-2024, 07:14 AM
Bahktiari had 34 inch arms, Bulaga 33.25

https://ras.football/2019/12/24/bryan-bulaga-ras/
https://ras.football/2019/12/27/david-bakhtiari-ras/

I have no idea what you are talking about.

My bad. I had looked at combine results from a different Jordan Morgan. I think it's fair to say the Packers aren't afraid to take a Tackle with shorter arms as long as the footwork is there.

Fritz
04-26-2024, 07:25 AM
The many iterations of Dean Lowry.

The top of the second round looks loaded. As George said, watch the Packers take another offensive lineman in the top of the second, and watch Packer Nation foam at the mouth and the top of their head explode.

Joemailman
04-26-2024, 07:29 AM
Hoody Genius likes Jordan Morgan. https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1783716471178235921?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1783716471178235921%7Ctwgr% 5E87ce96a9aa0146810b138c569fd59e9f49d276b3%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheathletic.com%2F5448085%2F 2024%2F04%2F26%2Fjordan-morgan-packers-draft-first-round%2F

Bretsky
04-26-2024, 07:35 AM
Hoody Genius likes Jordan Morgan. https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1783716471178235921?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1783716471178235921%7Ctwgr% 5E87ce96a9aa0146810b138c569fd59e9f49d276b3%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheathletic.com%2F5448085%2F 2024%2F04%2F26%2Fjordan-morgan-packers-draft-first-round%2F

Hmm ; is that good or bad that my buddy Hoody Genius.....AKA....Greatest coach, but maybe the worst GM likes it :)

Bretsky
04-26-2024, 07:37 AM
If he makes our OL stronger, and I think he does, I'm fine with the pick. With two trade ups that occured after we picked, I still wonder why we didn't trade down though.

SIDENOTE; I really don't want to offer up our 3rd/4th round picks to trade up. I think the draft is prettty deep this year. Stay the course, unless somebody really offers a lot to move up a bit with GB.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2024, 07:47 AM
Sorry for disappearing since the combine, just couldn't commit to Packerrats.

Anyways. I just didn't think you needed to reach into the first round for an offensive lineman. I am not saying it wasn't a need for the Packers, but I just thought there was reasonable talent throughout the draft at the offensive line position. I think the run on offensive lineman put the fear of god into Gute and he had to have someone in his top 2 tiers.

Morgan and Paul were the fastest risers in the draft at the tackle position along with Rosengarten from Washington. They were all in my 2nd or top of my 3rd tier. Morgan offers some flexibility at guard. He played 98% of his snaps at left tackle at Arizona, which means he is comfortable on the outside. I thought he looks good in space. I think he has more of impact in 2024 and 2025 then Guyton and Mims who were both projected to go higher than him. I see nothing wrong with DeJean at 25. He offers a lot of flexibility in the secondary. Packers have the capital to move up and get him or Kool-Aid in the early 2nd round if they want to. I am also really ok with them drafting Edgrin Cooper at LB as well.

RashanGary
04-26-2024, 07:56 AM

No way!! Welcome back man!!

Joemailman
04-26-2024, 08:24 AM
If he makes our OL stronger, and I think he does, I'm fine with the pick. With two trade ups that occured after we picked, I still wonder why we didn't trade down though.

SIDENOTE; I really don't want to offer up our 3rd/4th round picks to trade up. I think the draft is prettty deep this year. Stay the course, unless somebody really offers a lot to move up a bit with GB.

My guess is he was concerned about there being a run on OT's so didn't want to trade down and miss out.

Gutekunst said he had multiple options to trade back from No. 25, both to later in the first round and out of it entirely, and that he realized early in the night that he wouldn’t trade up because several players the Packers identified as trade-up targets didn’t fall far enough. With Morgan still available and where the Packers would’ve traded back to, Gutekunst didn’t feel comfortable retreating and instead grabbed his guy, sticking with one first-round pick at his original spot for only the second time in seven drafts as general manager.

Fritz
04-26-2024, 08:37 AM
My guess is he was concerned about there being a run on OT's so didn't want to trade down and miss out.

I think the bit you pasted about Guter having offers to trade down but not wanting to do so was interesting. First, it tells me he might've been considering a different o-lineman to trade up for, since defensive players were falling down the board faster than a drunk on Xanax. Had he wanted, say, Terion Arnold, he could've traded up for him, but no. I'm guessing the trade-down-but-still-first-round option was the Chiefs. That tells me Guter thought that Guyton, Graham-Barton, and Morgan would be gone by #32, and he obviously didn't like that Powers-Johnson-Powers guy or whatever his name is.

Now, will he go up and get a defender this evening, like Dejean or McKinstry, or will he sit tight?

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2024, 08:51 AM
I think the bit you pasted about Guter having offers to trade down but not wanting to do so was interesting. First, it tells me he might've been considering a different o-lineman to trade up for, since defensive players were falling down the board faster than a drunk on Xanax. Had he wanted, say, Terion Arnold, he could've traded up for him, but no. I'm guessing the trade-down-but-still-first-round option was the Chiefs. That tells me Guter thought that Guyton, Graham-Barton, and Morgan would be gone by #32, and he obviously didn't like that Powers-Johnson-Powers guy or whatever his name is.

Now, will he go up and get a defender this evening, like Dejean or McKinstry, or will he sit tight?

I think most GM's operate within their tiers of players. You are not trading out of a slot if there is only one offensive lineman left in your first round tier and also if he is one of the last remaining in the first or second tier. Also they could have liked Morgan way more than several other top tier media OL in this draft. Obviously Morgan was rated higher than any of the defensive players left as well. My guess is that the Packers really liked Mitchell from Toledo and he went off the board before they could figure out how to trade up and get him. Same with Washington offensive lineman

Jaire
04-26-2024, 08:56 AM
I expect Koolaid is off their board with that injury. They tried that with Lacy already. Not something you want at CB.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2024, 09:36 AM

Anyways. I just didn't think you needed to reach into the first round for an offensive lineman. I am not saying it wasn't a need for the Packers, but I just thought there was reasonable talent throughout the draft at the offensive line position. I think the run on offensive lineman put the fear of god into Gute and he had to have someone in his top 2 tiers.

Morgan and Paul were the fastest risers in the draft at the tackle position along with Rosengarten from Washington. They were all in my 2nd or top of my 3rd tier. Morgan offers some flexibility at guard. He played 98% of his snaps at left tackle at Arizona, which means he is comfortable on the outside. I thought he looks good in space. I think he has more of impact in 2024 and 2025 then Guyton and Mims who were both projected to go higher than him. I see nothing wrong with DeJean at 25. He offers a lot of flexibility in the secondary. Packers have the capital to move up and get him or Kool-Aid in the early 2nd round if they want to. I am also really ok with them drafting Edgrin Cooper at LB as well.

Trading up for DeJean and taking Shipley in the 3rd would make me jolly.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2024, 09:37 AM
No way!! Welcome back man!!

Campbell is a poor man’s Prof Rand.

bobblehead
04-26-2024, 10:10 AM
yep, as expected, I hate the pick
also, probably woulda been there at 41

lol

Well, he's a Packer now so I'll be rooting for him. Along with Guyton he was on my do not like list. Would have preferred Barton or Dejean. In fairness, I had Rashan Gary and Jordan Love on that list in years past, so what do I know. Also, I'm a little drunk, so there's that.

Run, you're a sharp guy. What logic are you using to be so sure he would be there at 41? Same logic that said we had to trade up if we wanted DeJean at 25? Mock drafts? The truth is we simply have no way to know if he would have been there at 26 other than Mel Kipers stellar track record.

bobblehead
04-26-2024, 10:12 AM

I hope he turns out about the same as when you gave "the center" a big fat F.

bobblehead
04-26-2024, 10:17 AM
The many iterations of Dean Lowry.

The top of the second round looks loaded. As George said, watch the Packers take another offensive lineman in the top of the second, and watch Packer Nation foam at the mouth and the top of their head explode.

If they take another OL I'll be amped. First thing I will do is put $500 on Josh Jacobs to win another rushing title. Hell, I might do that regardless.

bobblehead
04-26-2024, 10:18 AM

41 and our 4th to move up to 33 and take DeJean? You wouldn't like that?

bobblehead
04-26-2024, 10:21 AM

2 things. I don't think the run at OL impacted this pick at all. He is a total Gutes pick. Dominated the senior bowl. Mountain of starts at LT. Morgan isn't even close to the same tier at Paul or Rosengarten imo. He would have been a slam dunk first round top 20 in most drafts.

King Friday
04-26-2024, 11:04 AM
I like his experience and versatility. I’m not sold on his strength and mean streak. Hopefully he gets to 100% and can grow into being a little more stout. I would’ve preferred Arnold when he dropped so far, but I don’t hate this pick.

run pMc
04-26-2024, 11:24 AM
I few thoughts since last night's kneejerk reaction:

(1) I think DET getting Terrion Arnold at 24 is a steal. My guess is Gute wanted premium to trade with a division foe and DET could get ahead of them by trading same value. (If CHI wanted to trade with you, wouldn't you want to extract a pound of flesh?)

(2) It sounds like other teams picking after GB were also high on Jordan Morgan, there was a rumor BAL liked him and he would've been under strong consideration with their pick. IOW, he probably would NOT have lasted until 41.

(3) Some fans are posting links to videos and saying this guy is a really good pass blocker. Morgan has a lot of experience, is a good athlete, and is still 22 years old, so he's Packers-y. I'll be curious to see where they play him, and if he's really as good as they say.

(4) I only watched a little bit of him, I thought he was 'ok' but I liked him better than Guyton for sure. Mims scared the hell out of me because he's been hurt so much and has a long development curve. I'm ok with the pick.

(5) I still would have taken a long look at Barton or Dejean, but if they think this kid can play OT I get it. He can probably at least play swing tackle Day 1. I'd rather give him a shot than Andre Dillard.

(6) Do NOT want to trade up. Those 4 Day 2 picks are gold.

(7) Consensus boards and draftnik sites are nice, but they often lack the medical and character stuff. What's between the ears matters.

(8) It's a meh, wait-and-see, unsexy pick. It is absolutely critical to raise the level of play on the OL -- they need to be able to protect Jordan Love at all costs, and the also need to run block better than they did last year, especially the first half of the season. If this improves the OL, and thus the offense, it's a good pick.

(9) Dejean and Shipley? Sure, but not giving up the farm for Dejean. Shipley can be had later; he's a homeless person's CMC (i.e., not even a poor man's CMC) but could see him as complement to Jacobs.

(10) I'll stop now. I'm ok with the pick, if a bit underwhelmed. I blame the whole build-up to the event; it's always a bit of an anticlimax, especially if you're picking in the mid/late 20's.

smuggler
04-26-2024, 11:25 AM
I'm not spending shit to move up for a CB until either Cooper or Kool-Aid get picked.

100% agree that Morgan just SCREAMS Ravens to me. Surely they'd have picked him.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2024, 11:32 AM
2 things. I don't think the run at OL impacted this pick at all. He is a total Gutes pick. Dominated the senior bowl. Mountain of starts at LT. Morgan isn't even close to the same tier at Paul or Rosengarten imo. He would have been a slam dunk first round top 20 in most drafts.

2 things. I don't believe in drafting offensive linemen in the first round, and I didn't expect Morgan to go in the first round but I figured first tackle off the board in the 2nd round with Paul and Rosengarten following behind. The BYU guy could fit somewhere in there as well. The Yale guy I don't know if you trust him to give you quality snaps in 2024.

Morgan was a solid second tier OT in this draft.

Tier 1
Alt
Fauga
Fashanu
Fautanu
Latham

Tier 2
Mims
Morgan
Guyton

Tier 3
Paul
Rosengarten
Saumataia
Amegadjie

Like I stated I think he is more polished than Mims or Guyton, Mim has ridiculous upside though. I don't think the Packers could have traded down because the Cowboys traded back and took Guyton, and my opinion I don't think they were thrilled with the pick as that dude is gonna need some time. If Morgan was there guy they needed to stay at 25. If they saw that much difference between him and the other guys then I get it, I just don't like O linemen in the first round.

Joemailman
04-26-2024, 11:48 AM
Silverstein said Packers were likely glad when Lions made trade with Cowboys because Cowboys were probably going to be drafting OL 1st round. Cowboys ended up taking Tyler Guyton at 29.

Fritz
04-26-2024, 12:04 PM
I'm surprised that Guter wasn't higher on Arnold. That kid will lock down a corner spot for the next six or seven years.

And I agree with Run that Morgan is not a sexy pick, and we all like sexy, but in actual value to the team this pick might be just fine. If he can play a tackle spot for ten years and be upper tier, he's a very good pick. All this draft build-up does contribute to our expectations, too. It's crazy. So - I wonder, are Jets fans also feeling deflated because the team chose a tackle, or are they jacked because he was for many people the #1 tackle prospect?

Joemailman
04-26-2024, 12:12 PM
When people watch tape of Morgan from 2023, they need to keep in mind they're watching a guy who tore his ACL in November 2022. Sometimes it takes guys with an ACL a full year to get back to 100%. There's a decent chance he'll be more fluid and explosive than the guy you see from 2023.

Fritz
04-26-2024, 01:02 PM
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51KWcWdti-L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2024, 01:12 PM
I hope he turns out about the same as when you gave "the center" a big fat F.

You want Morgan to be a bum tackle and ok guard with the ability to hike the rock? Cos that’s Jenkins in a nutshell.

Oh, and DK Metcalf woulda looked great in the Green and Mustard Yellow.

pittstang5
04-26-2024, 01:29 PM
Has any of the Packer Staff come out and say if Morgan is going to compete for a tackle or guard spot? Too soon to say? Just curious. Usually when they're drafted they say the position the team expects that player to play at, like Barton last night was drafted as a Center, but he could play anywhere for any other team.

Joemailman
04-26-2024, 01:54 PM
Has any of the Packer Staff come out and say if Morgan is going to compete for a tackle or guard spot? Too soon to say? Just curious. Usually when they're drafted they say the position the team expects that player to play at, like Barton last night was drafted as a Center, but he could play anywhere for any other team.

Nothing yet. Gutey just keeps saying they think he can play 4 positions. I would think they'll move him around in OTA's/minicamp and see how he reacts to being inside.

Link to Gutey's PC. https://www.packers.com/video/brian-gutekunst-on-jordan-morgan-right-kind-of-guy-for-our-locker-room-2024-nfl-draft

run pMc
04-26-2024, 02:02 PM
Yeah all I've heard is they think he can play 4 spots on the line, which is interesting because he's been a T his entire career at AZ. I think his lack of length does show at times, so I think he's ultimately a RG and pushes Rhyan to the bench. I'd give him a shot at T first though. He's got good feet and seems like he's had some good coaching... he's still got some upside.

Training camp is going to be bonkers - they are going to be moving guys all over to see where they fit best to find "their top 5 guys". I wonder if they will have a slow start to the season as a result because it takes time for an OL to gel.

Word is GB didn't even take the full 10 minutes to turn in the pick - they saw he was there, a trade down wasn't appealing and took their guy. With how they've done on some of their recent OL picks there's room for optimism.

Bretsky
04-26-2024, 06:10 PM
"reports" that Washinton was trying to move up to get Morgan and JJ admitted he was on the short list of guys Jerry was considering.

What did the Lions give up to move up in the draft ? Wilde noted they contact the Packers

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2024, 01:09 AM
Dude looked a bit like Bakh in the little of the film I've watched since last night. Nice feet. He looks like he should get overpowered, but just does the job. Has a bit more upper body strength than you'd think. I'm not unhappy with this pick. Uglem had a nice clip of him shutting out all of the top rushers he faced (Thibodeaux and some others from this year's draft).

This coming from the guy (me) who was spot on about Zach Tom (in a good way) and Josh Myers (in a bad way). :)

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2024, 01:09 AM
"reports" that Washinton was trying to move up to get Morgan and JJ admitted he was on the short list of guys Jerry was considering.

What did the Lions give up to move up in the draft ? Wilde noted they contact the Packers

Hoodie Genius likes the pick and said there was no way he was dropping out of the 1st round.

Fritz
04-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Lions gave up their third round pick to move up, and get a seventh back from the Cowboys in 2025.

RashanGary
04-27-2024, 07:58 AM
This seems like and incredibly safe pick. Just a really reliable person. Hard working. Great in the lockerroom. Really good size and athletic ability. Fairly polished. I think fritz said Bulaga…. This guy might have a little more upside and maybe a touch less polish, but similar in the sense of being a really safe OT pick.

RashanGary
04-27-2024, 08:19 AM
Tom and Walker are going to be up for contracts in two years. Might be able to trade one next year or at least get the 3rd round comp pick when one of them leaves if that’s how it goes.

I’d rather see the new guy as a backup at least the first half of the year this year. But if Rhyan is a tire fire, there might be another option.

Fritz
04-27-2024, 08:42 AM
And I don't doubt the Packers will add another body or two to that room today.

George Cumby
04-27-2024, 09:52 AM
Hoodie Genius likes the pick and said there was no way he was dropping out of the 1st round.

AND said Morgan was a Tackle.

run pMc
05-07-2024, 12:08 PM
There's gotta be something about Rasheed Walker the team has concerns about - from all the talk about competition, to splitting snaps with Njiman last year, and now drafting Morgan. I wonder if he's a bit of a headcase or they think he might be a little lazy/complacent.
They keep trying to push him - as they should -- but what strikes me as unusual is that they are being very obvious about it.

Joemailman
05-07-2024, 12:44 PM
Last year it was Nijman they felt had become complacent. They used competition from Walker to try to get more out of Nijman before eventually Walker won the job. Maybe they're taking steps now to make sure Walker doesn't get complacent. It's also possible they feel Walker's future is at RG or RT. There were scouting reports suggesting that when he was a draft prospect.

bobblehead
05-07-2024, 08:14 PM
In hindsight I understand the Yosh hate. He didn't improve in the offseason. I'm not sure he ever took an offseason seriously. He was uber talented and that has gotten him to where he is and I think they saw a guy who should be a lockdown pass blocker, but never quite had the fire to be great.

I'm not sure they are going way out of their way to push walker as much as they probably figure he maxed out. I was really happy with his play after it became his job, but he isn't a top 5 LT by any means. If he plays to his end of season level he is probably top 15 MAYBE top 10. At such an important position, that's a guy you keep feeling insecure. Make him earn that second contract. Send him the offseason message that he better be maxing himself out. Short of guys like Jenkins or Gary who don't you treat that way? I want everyone feeling like the hold on the job is tenuous.

I also think Morgan probably wants a shot at being a LT so why sour the rookie right away by telling him the job belongs to a guy who had 8 good games? My best bet is Morgan lines up at RG this year after bouncing around a touch.

Patler
05-07-2024, 10:09 PM
In hindsight I understand the Yosh hate. He didn't improve in the offseason. I'm not sure he ever took an offseason seriously. He was uber talented and that has gotten him to where he is and I think they saw a guy who should be a lockdown pass blocker, but never quite had the fire to be great.

Ya, they may have been thinking; "If you aren't getting better, you are getting worse." Something was off. He should have been the frontrunner going in to 2023, just based on 2022. Instead, they gave it to Walker even though early on he was much worse than the 2022 version of Nijman. It will be interesting to see how Nijman's career goes from here.

Patler
05-07-2024, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure they are going way out of their way to push walker as much as they probably figure he maxed out. I was really happy with his play after it became his job, but he isn't a top 5 LT by any means. If he plays to his end of season level he is probably top 15 MAYBE top 10. At such an important position, that's a guy you keep feeling insecure. Make him earn that second contract. Send him the offseason message that he better be maxing himself out. Short of guys like Jenkins or Gary who don't you treat that way? I want everyone feeling like the hold on the job is tenuous.

I also think Morgan probably wants a shot at being a LT so why sour the rookie right away by telling him the job belongs to a guy who had 8 good games? My best bet is Morgan lines up at RG this year after bouncing around a touch.

Agreed, again. Any player who is just OK is a target for replacement. I found this year-end evaluation of Walker. I think it quantifies it well:

(Emphasis mine)

According to Pro Football Focus, Walker allowed six sacks and 33 total pressures. According to its pass-blocking efficiency metric, which measures sacks, hits and hurries allowed per pass-protecting snap, he ranked 39th out of 57 tackles who had 50 percent playing time. In his final nine games (including playoffs) he allowed two sacks. His run blocking improved, as well. Sports Info Solutions charged him with five blown blocks (1.6 percent) and three stuffs (tackle at or behind the line). He was guilty of a team-worst nine penalties, including four false starts and three holding.

smuggler
05-08-2024, 07:04 AM
That doesn't take into consideration his improvement through the season, but there's no guarantee he maintains that, to be fair.

Patler
05-08-2024, 07:53 AM
That doesn't take into consideration his improvement through the season, but there's no guarantee he maintains that, to be fair.

Sure it does, but it tempers it by how poorly he played at times earlier in the season. As you state, it is not yet known if he has established a new floor from which he will continue to ascend, if he has peaked and will now plateau, or if he simply had a good streak which he will be unable to achieve consistently.

Scott Campbell
05-08-2024, 09:28 AM
Sure it does, but it tempers it by how poorly he played at times earlier in the season. As you state, it is not yet known if he has established a new floor from which he will continue to ascend, if he has peaked and will now plateau, or if he simply had a good streak which he will be unable to achieve consistently.

All things being equal, I'd much rather have a young player ascending throughout the year as he gains experience. We gave Jordan Love credit for that, and I think we need to give it to Walker too.

PFF graded Walker at 66.4, ever so slightly higher than Elgton Jenkins last year. PFF had Meyers lower and Ryhan significantly lower. I don't take their grades as gospel, but they're worth something.

I think the Packers going deep on OL in this draft has a lot to do with the quality of OL available in this draft, and the overall poor play of OL in the NFL. If they keep 10 or 11 OL, that position room represents about 20% of their roster. Given how important it is to keep your QB upright, I think more teams should be taking 3 OL per year. I'm not reading too much into this draft as a reflection upon Walker. At this point he was a 7th rounder who has nicely outperformed his 7th round draft slot.

My concern on the OL is really Elgton Jenkins. We are not paying him $14M (cap hit this year) at a non premium position to grade out at 65. You should be grading in the 80s to justify that kind of dough. His dead money cap hit is cut in half next year, and I think he's the guy on the hot seat. And it's not because he's a bad player - it's because he's a good player getting paid like an elite player.

Rasheed Walker's cap hit is $1M this year, and $1.1M next year - at a premium position. Gotta love the rookie wage scale.

bobblehead
05-08-2024, 11:57 AM
In fairness Scott I'm not saying the last 10 games is Love's floor. There is a lot of room for regression. I'm not happy to say that, just keeping it real. He made some bad throws that he got away with.

And I agree on Jenkins. He is playing really well, and I'm not sure the grade is 100% accurate, but they are paying him to be dominant, not really good.

RashanGary
05-08-2024, 01:16 PM
I think it’s more likely for young, inexperienced players to improve.

Not sure if Walkers trajectory is going to prove to follow the ideal curve that seems to be forming or like others have said, fall backwards or plateau. But I think it’s more likely to go up than any of the other scenarios. It’s just a more common path for young players.

bobblehead
05-08-2024, 01:18 PM
I think it’s more likely for young, inexperienced players to improve.

Not sure if Walkers trajectory is going to prove to follow the ideal curve that seems to be forming or like others have said, fall backwards or plateau. But I think it’s more likely to go up than any of the other scenarios. It’s just a more common path for young players.

Agreed. We have a lot of reason for optimism and should "expect" both players to improve. But the team has a job to do and drafting wisely and being prepared in case that DOESN'T happen is just smart. Also injuries occur so you need some depth.

RashanGary
05-08-2024, 01:29 PM
Agreed. We have a lot of reason for optimism and should "expect" both players to improve. But the team has a job to do and drafting wisely and being prepared in case that DOESN'T happen is just smart. Also injuries occur so you need some depth.

Absolutely. It’s hard to pay two tackles starters money. They’ll be looking at extending either or both Walker and Tom.

Mike Wahle has said he thinks it’s unlikely Morgan can surpass Walker. He said they’re at completely different points in their development and Walker is ready now.

Steno, when asked about the versatility of his line, he said elg is best at guard or center and Tom looks like he’s a fit for RT. So I don’t think they want to shake that up unless something really proves it necessary.

We’re looking at a probably scenario where Walker and Tom are tackles in 2024. Steno really likes Meyers. Hes said it multiple times. He’s probably our center.

Elg is a guard.

I don’t think they’re looking to move Morgan to guard at all. He’s a rare athlete who projects as a legitimate LT. He has a big learning curve with his technique. I doubt they’ll want to overload him. His development is a priority. So he’s backup LT. Walker probably moved to RT of Tom gets injured. He’s at a spot where he can adjust quicker with not having so many technique problems to work on.

Hopefully Rhyan is a solid player.

The very most likely scenario is

Walker/elg/Meyers/Rhyan/Tom

This is based on Stenos comments.

If Rhyan isn’t it, they’ll move to less desirable scenarios that put less than ideal strain on young players to play too early or take on more more responsibility and versatility than they’re ready for. Rhyan is the piece that will decide the rest.

Going forward Morgan allows us to just pay one tackle next year. So in the long term it’s a great piece under a 5 year deal.