PDA

View Full Version : 2024 3rd Round Pick #88 Overall Marshawn Lloyd

Joemailman
04-26-2024, 11:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRYNsfo6eo

Overview
Lloyd's flashes on tape could lead a team to envision a more expansive role for him in its offense, but based on his play, he feels more like a good complementary option with big-play potential. Frankly, some of his South Carolina tape from 2022 felt more exciting than his 2023 USC film, despite the higher yardage-per-carry mark in 2023. While he ran with improved patience and set up blockers more diligently in '23, he ran with a greater sense of urgency the year prior and proved he could create explosive plays without as much help from his offensive line. Lloyd runs with slightly below-average vision but has the juice to play the role of "chunk-play slasher" and dangerous open-field pass catcher. Lloyd is a low-mileage prospect, and the scope of his role will obviously depend on scheme fit.

Strengths
Displayed improved tempo and ability to set up blocks in 2023.
Marries NFL-caliber burst with adequate contact pop to fall forward.
Twitchy feet and wide base, allowing access to sudden lateral cuts.
Uses burst and free hand to swat away angle tackles around the corner.
Possesses natural timing in making upfield cuts on wide-flowing runs.
Speed and shake to torment open-field tacklers as a pass-catching option.

Weaknesses
Will miss opportunities for splashy runs due to average vision.
Running style was less instinctive and urgent at USC than it was at South Carolina.
Ball security could be a considerable concern for him in the league.
Tore his ACL in 2020 and missed time in 2022 and 2023.
Lacks sand in his pants to protect his quarterback in blitz pickup.

Joemailman
04-26-2024, 11:32 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMI5tZSXYAEEu9A.jpg:large

Scott Campbell
04-26-2024, 11:56 PM
Pretty interesting pass catcher.

Vincenzo
04-27-2024, 01:08 AM
40 year Packer fan here, picking RB at this point is beyond me.
No clue what our GM was thinking.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2024, 01:11 AM
This guy reminded me a bit of Josh Jacobs. I'm on board.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2024, 01:15 AM
I looked at the RAS. This guy is really similar to Jacobs athletically. He's 1 1/2" shorter and has more straight line, but otherwise the measurables are very similar.

Fritz
04-27-2024, 07:32 AM
A fumbler with supposedly average vision.

I dunno. I have a friend who would've preferred Jaylen Wright. I also thought Guter would maybe just wait and draft two or three guys later and see if one of them was a diamond in the rough, thus using this third-round pick on another offensive lineman or another safety or something.

Joemailman
04-27-2024, 08:27 AM

I dunno. I have a friend who would've preferred Jaylen Wright. I also thought Guter would maybe just wait and draft two or three guys later and see if one of them was a diamond in the rough, thus using this third-round pick on another offensive lineman or another safety or something.

Well now you say something. If you had told Gute that you have a friend who prefers Jaylen Wright, that could have changed everything. :razz: Daniel Jeremiah said he thinks Packers got the best RB in the draft.

Fritz
04-27-2024, 08:50 AM
Oh for sure, Joe. I watched Guter's presser, and it reminded me that this guy knows all these players thoroughly, whereas my information is gleaned from people who are amateurs and don't do it for a living.

I was just feeling pessimistic when I was posting this morning, but then I took the time to watch Guter's presser, and realized - once again - that I don't know shit, so there's no reason to get worked up. Doesn't mean that Lloyd will necessarily be great, but it does mean the Packers made an informed decision, as opposed to saying "Hey, let's have Fritzy's buddy pick a running back for us!"

King Friday
04-27-2024, 09:22 AM
I think this pick was far more about the kid being similar to Jacobs. The Packers like to substitute their backs extensively. The vast difference between Jones and Dillon created difficulty in managing a game plan. If Jones busts off a big run to the five yard line, and needs a breather, we can plug this kid in and keep running the same scheme. He can’t block for shit, but few backs can coming from college. He is very quick for his size. That is always something to like in a back.

King Friday
04-27-2024, 09:23 AM

Said a lot of people about Ahman Green. He turned out alright.

Fritz
04-27-2024, 09:26 AM
Said a lot of people about Ahman Green. He turned out alright.

The fumbler part I remember. I don't remember the part about average vision.

Good point above about how the backs now are more interchangeable. It did seem to mess LeFleur up, having to adjust the calls so much because Jones and Dillon were so different.

King Friday
04-27-2024, 09:43 AM
I don’t get the average vision thing on this kid. You can’t put up the numbers he did while running into your lineman’s ass continuously. He has the same issues Dillon had coming out of college, where there was little development of the player as an all around back in college. Doesn’t mean he can’t do it, as Dillon has proven.

King Friday
04-27-2024, 09:55 AM
I also like that this kid created 0.4 missed tackles on average each carry last year. This kid is not easy to bring down. That is the kind of runner we need, not someone like Dillon who keeps tripping over the paint on the field.

George Cumby
04-27-2024, 10:02 AM
Aaron Jones RAS, for comparison;

https://ras.football/2019/12/18/aaron-jones-ras-13119/

bobblehead
04-27-2024, 11:43 AM
I don't care about RAS or any of that with RBs. He stutters like he thinks he's Barry Sanders, he reverses field like he thinks he's Marcus Allen. That stuff just doesn't work in the NFL unless you ARE those guys. I want a plant your foot and turn it upfield guy. Again, sand in my vagina, but I hate this pick.

edit: I have my NFL comp. His reel reminds me of Alex Green (I think was his name. that guy sucked, but had a great reel out of Hawaii).

Jaire
04-27-2024, 11:51 AM
Green was a lot bigger as I remember... very different back

bobblehead
04-27-2024, 11:58 AM

I just remember reels of him running untouched without making a cut. Thats a lot of what I just saw here. He looks like a nice receiver out of the backfield though and maybe his was drafted to be our 3rd down/change of pace guy. Again, in this draft I simply would not have taken a RB until round 5.

run pMc
04-27-2024, 11:59 AM
I like the pick as an RB2. I think he's fine as a pass catcher. Not sure about his pass pro, and the fumbling is a concern. Yes, Ahman Green had fumbling problems, rumor was that it was always early in the year when his rubber sleeves got sweaty. I actually think Ben Sirmans has done ok with coaching RBs and will do his best with Lloyd's fumbling.

Low usage, good athlete. I think his feet and vision are fine if you coach him to be one cut and go. Seems to have pretty rapid fire feet when he wants, his acceleration and long speed are also good. I think the 4.47 speed is real with him.
He's a legit 5' 9" 220. Aaron Jones played at maybe 200 pounds, some think he was even 190.

R3 is about as early as I'd like to draft a RB unless they're a true bonafide star like Johnathon Taylor or Bijon. They needed to get better at RB and this is a good start. Dillon and Wilson aren't the long term answer, this guy could be part of that answer.

smuggler
04-27-2024, 12:01 PM
Saw a lot of forced missed tackles and (some) broken takles from Lloyd. Too many to think he's Alex Green.

King Friday
04-27-2024, 12:05 PM

Then you remember incorrectly. Green was 6’ and 220. Only a tad taller and the same weight.

Jacobs reminds me of Green, and so does this kid.

King Friday
04-27-2024, 12:07 PM
I just remember reels of him running untouched without making a cut. Thats a lot of what I just saw here. He looks like a nice receiver out of the backfield though and maybe his was drafted to be our 3rd down/change of pace guy. Again, in this draft I simply would not have taken a RB until round 5.

5th round? That’s crazy. I get the deal with not taking a guy in the first 30-40 picks due to the relative value of the position, but there are a lot of very good football players in college that play RB. It is also an area of need for the Packers because Dillon clearly isn’t a long term answer and it is doubtful anyone other than Jacobs on the current roster is either.

red
04-28-2024, 01:19 PM
This guy reminded me a bit of Josh Jacobs. I'm on board.

I looked at the RAS. This guy is really similar to Jacobs athletically. He's 1 1/2" shorter and has more straight line, but otherwise the measurables are very similar.

Lindy's magazine has josh jacobs as his NFL comparison

so you aren't the only one that seeing the similarities

Jaire
04-28-2024, 01:55 PM
Then you remember incorrectly. Green was 6’ and 220. Only a tad taller and the same weight.

Jacobs reminds me of Green, and so does this kid.

Neither are anything like Green. Lloyd looks special.

smuggler
04-28-2024, 06:25 PM
If there was a protion of the scouting world, most importantly the Packers variety, that felt Lloyd was the best back in the draft, we really can't be too upset about using a back-end 3rd on him.

bobblehead
04-28-2024, 07:16 PM
Neither are anything like Green. Lloyd looks special.

So did Green in his highlights. My issue, I saw most of his runs where he simply took the ball and ran thru a big hole. Anyone can do that. I can't fault him for it, I'm just not going to call him special for it.

bobblehead
04-28-2024, 07:17 PM
If there was a protion of the scouting world, most importantly the Packers variety, that felt Lloyd was the best back in the draft, we really can't be too upset about using a back-end 3rd on him.

The packers have a lot of missed in the RB drafted category. jones was the exception.

King Friday
04-28-2024, 08:00 PM
So did Green in his highlights. My issue, I saw most of his runs where he simply took the ball and ran thru a big hole. Anyone can do that. I can't fault him for it, I'm just not going to call him special for it.

Did Green average 0.4 missed tackles created per run? Doubtful.

And it is highly difficult to create missed tackles if you are just running through a wide open hole all the time.

red
04-28-2024, 09:07 PM
i finally watched some highlights of this kid. i don't even want to say who he reminded me of

dudes gonna be fun to watch

smuggler
04-28-2024, 10:15 PM
My dad said he looks like Walter Payton. Can't say I had the 'pleasure', but that's high acclaim.

Fritz
04-29-2024, 06:53 AM
Bet he’ll get screamed at more than once for not just hitting the hole.

bobblehead
04-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Did Green average 0.4 missed tackles created per run? Doubtful.

And it is highly difficult to create missed tackles if you are just running through a wide open hole all the time.

https://youtu.be/BK0VmrZIGSI

Jaire
04-29-2024, 02:26 PM
i finally watched some highlights of this kid. i don't even want to say who he reminded me of

dudes gonna be fun to watch

He watched a lot of Barry Sanders. Compared his game and build to Josh Jacobs.

Jaire
04-29-2024, 02:28 PM
https://youtu.be/BK0VmrZIGSI

LIS, Lloyd is nothing like Green. Different build, different strides, different everything. Green has four inches on Lloyd. lol

MadtownPacker
04-29-2024, 02:49 PM
So did Green in his highlights. My issue, I saw most of his runs where he simply took the ball and ran thru a big hole. Anyone can do that. I can't fault him for it, I'm just not going to call him special for it.Wow, you been losing at the tables lately? :lol:

All RBs can run but not all have the vision to see those holes you despise so much. A huge frustration with RBs that I have is seeing the camera angle that shows where he could have ran (Dillion). You get guys that just run into walls. If defenders are occupying a space than there has to other space open to run on every play right? Seems this guy can find it so if that is the complaint then Gutes came up on this pick big time.

RashanGary
04-29-2024, 03:30 PM
Emmitt Smith was 5’9” 220.

Fritz
04-29-2024, 04:12 PM
How the game has changed. Robert Newhouse was a running back with the Dallas Cowboys in the 70's and early 80's (early on as a fulback), went 5'-10", weighed about 210, and was known as "The Human Bowling Ball." He was fun to watch.

Now, a 210 llb running back is nearly a scatback. Aaron Jones was about 210, wasn't he? And he was considered a "light" RB compared to the Josh Jacobses and the AJ Dillons.

As always, I know nothing about whether these guys will be any good. So we'll just have to wait and see. But I hope he's fuckin' awesome, and maybe gets a chance to bowl over Cooper DeJean in Brazil.

run pMc
04-29-2024, 04:15 PM
Those highlights of Green were fun. I remembered he played for Hawaii but forgot they were in the WAC. In other words, he was probably the best athlete on the field most of the time.
Watch those highlights -- he's running against light boxes on delayed/draw plays with gaping holes against a lower level of competition.

He was worth a Day 3 lottery ticket (R4 was a reach and a classic Ted "who?" pick) but Alex Green and Marshawn Lloyd are different players.

Edit: Aaron Jones was listed at 5'9, 208 but he played lighter than that. (Closer to 195-200). I suspect Emmitt did too.

RashanGary
04-29-2024, 04:27 PM
Ray rice is kind of a similar build

Jaire
04-29-2024, 04:58 PM
How the game has changed. Robert Newhouse was a running back with the Dallas Cowboys in the 70's and early 80's (early on as a fulback), went 5'-10", weighed about 210, and was known as "The Human Bowling Ball." He was fun to watch.

Now, a 210 llb running back is nearly a scatback. Aaron Jones was about 210, wasn't he? And he was considered a "light" RB compared to the Josh Jacobses and the AJ Dillons.

As always, I know nothing about whether these guys will be any good. So we'll just have to wait and see. But I hope he's fuckin' awesome, and maybe gets a chance to bowl over Cooper DeJean in Brazil.

Jones is 190 after a big meal. That's per a recent LaFleur interview.

Joemailman
04-29-2024, 05:24 PM
Jones weighed 208 at the combine. But I know he took off weight following his rookie year.

Joemailman
05-03-2024, 09:34 AM
Packers gave Lloyd, a USC running back, the same number 32 that OJ Simpson wore. I guess that's okay for now.

MadtownPacker
05-03-2024, 06:57 PM
Maybe OJ can take over him from the beyond and he will slash defenses.

Joemailman
05-03-2024, 07:10 PM
Maybe OJ can take over him from the beyond and he will slash defenses.

Knifing through the secondary.

MadtownPacker
05-03-2024, 07:22 PM
:lol:

Maybe a throat slash gesture when he scores the dagger TD.

Hopefully his memorabilia will be worth stealing someday.

bobblehead
05-04-2024, 11:08 AM
Some of what I read suggests 3rd down back which makes sense with Jacobs around. I really did like his pass catching tape. Better than Kamara.

Joemailman
05-04-2024, 12:29 PM
More than a 3rd down back. In 2021 Dillon had 770 yards rushing to Jones' 1121. I think his role could be more like that.

bobblehead
05-04-2024, 01:28 PM
More than a 3rd down back. In 2021 Dillon had 770 yards rushing to Jones' 1121. I think his role could be more like that.

He'll get carries no doubt, but I would think a 3-1 split would be likely. High 200's for Jacobs, 100 max for Lloyd. But if he catches 40 passes I'm pretty happy.