PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Christl : Packers might be better off trading Favre

motife
04-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Dealing Favre might be Packers' best bet
Posted: April 17, 2006

Cliff Christl

Green Bay - Has anyone considered that maybe Brett Favre's indecision has been a good thing for the Green Bay Packers?
That it has given Ted Thompson time to get a better read on his personnel and how it'll fit coach Mike McCarthy's plans; on how free agents perceive Green Bay; a chance to study the top quarterbacks in this year's draft; and whether he'll likely get what he wants out of the upcoming draft or simply the fifth best player when he'd prefer one of the top four.

Maybe it also has brought Thompson to a crossroads, not only for this off-season, but in this job, although he hasn't even started his second season as general manager.

Advertisement

What's all come into focus in just the past week or two is that Thompson has three options as the draft approaches and which one he chooses might determine his fate in Green Bay.

1) Stay the course. Focus on the draft. Continue to judiciously pursue free agents. Take the approach that if Favre returns, fine; but make no decisions based on Favre's wishes or plans. Keep thinking long-term, not short-term.

2) Do whatever it takes to sign LaVar Arrington and Charles Woodson if Favre promises to play. Target offense in the draft, starting with tight end Vernon Davis with the fifth pick, and including a running back and a wide receiver as soon as one jumps off the board, preferably sooner than later. In effect, take one last run at winning another Super Bowl with Favre, if not this coming season maybe in 2007.

3) Trade Favre. Trade Javon Walker. Cease negotiations with Arrington and Woodson. Stockpile as many draft picks as possible in order to expedite the rebuilding process.

Option No. 1 wouldn't be all that bad. That seems to have been Thompson's plan all along and it's one that has been time tested. But it's also a process that can take years.

With option No. 2, who knows? Get some mileage out of Arrington and Woodson, hit the jackpot with the No. 1 pick, find a running back later in the draft with Terrell Davis type ability and maybe Favre could duplicate what John Elway accomplished after the age of 35. Then again, Thompson might simply be chasing fool's gold.

That's why option No. 3 might be the best bet.

Maybe it's time for Thompson to approach Favre, if he hasn't already, and try to convince him that he should go play for a team that has a shot at winning a Super Bowl. Tell him that the Packers appreciate that he wants to play for a contender, but just think they're better off building through the draft rather than trying to patch holes to accommodate him. Tell him no hard feelings and offer to take most of the heat for the trade.

Have team president Bob Harlan give Favre his word that the organization won't hold it against him and will retire his number the year after he leaves the game.

Emphasize to Favre that if both sides look bad, so what? Remind him that he should have learned over the past several weeks that fans will turn on you no matter what, so why care what they think?

If Favre agrees, the next step would be for Thompson and Favre to compile a list of teams that would have a shot at winning the Super Bowl if they only had a quarterback. And try to get Favre to agree to play for as many as possible. After all, cap issues are going to eliminate any number of teams from the list.

The easy sells would be Tampa Bay with Jon Gruden, the league's best defense and one of the league's best young running backs in Cadillac Williams; Dallas with Bill Parcells, the league's 10th-ranked defense and Terrell Owens; and Washington with Joe Gibbs, Clinton Portis, Santana Moss and just a solid core everywhere else.

But also try to sell Favre on playing for Chicago and Minnesota. Yes, even the hated Bears and Vikings.

What difference does it make?

The Packers aren't going to be a contender while Favre is still playing. And they'll never get the windfall for him that Dallas received from Minnesota for Herschel Walker, but the purpose here is to acquire the best draft pick possible.

Two other teams that Thompson should try to sell Favre on are Baltimore and Oakland, which are coming off 6-10 and 4-12 finishes, respectively, but have some talent and better draft picks to deal.

Once the list is finalized, Thompson should shoot for the stars. Go for a No. 1 pick. Maybe Dallas at 18 or Tampa Bay at 23 or Chicago at 26 would bite.

If not, start on the second round. Maybe Oakland and Baltimore at 38 and 44, respectively, would be interested. Or Minnesota at 48, Washington at 53, Chicago at 57 or Tampa Bay at 59.

Maybe at that point, if Thompson can't get at least a No. 2 pick, he should abandon the plan. But if he receives a minimum offer of a second-round choice, send Favre packing. There's no room here for sentiment.

Thompson's future in Green Bay is on the line. So is McCarthy's. The future of the franchise might be at stake.

Dawdle and it might be another 20-year wait before the Packers are winners again.

Once the Favre deal is done, then ship Walker to the highest bidder. Maybe he'd bring an extra fourth-round choice.

With those extra picks in hand, the Packers figure to be in significantly better shape long-term than they would be if they continued to pursue option No. 1. And it might serve as a springboard to a Super Bowl run three, four years down the road and another long period of sustained success. Choosing option No. 2 might put the Packers in position to compete for the Super Bowl next season or the season after, but it probably would be a one- or two-time shot.

Former general manager Ron Wolf resurrected the franchise by trading for Favre. From here, it appears that Thompson's best chance of resurrecting it would be if he could trade away Favre.

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Once the Favre deal is done, then ship Walker to the highest bidder. Maybe he'd bring an extra fourth-round choice.

hah! People around here think Walker is worth a #1.

I would be perfectly happy to see Favre get traded to a winning team. I think it would be in everyone's best interests. But I doubt it will happen.

Charles Woodson
04-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Yea i would love to see Favre retire on a winning team that reaches the super bowl. but
Is trading everyone the answer. i mean walker doesnt get his contract. Trade him. I didnt read the the whole article, but if he wants to trade favre to then wth. i mean if u trade arguably the teams 2 best players on offense then whoese gana take over. i dont think a-rod will be ready but who knows.

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I think this means Christl's officially lost his mind.

CyclonePackFan
04-17-2006, 07:16 PM

No kidding. I think he forgot all the talk about Favre possibly retiring if M3 put in a new offensive system. Never mind the fact that Favre probably only has a year or two left in him, has said he doesn't want to play anywhere but Green Bay, and that he would retire before learning a new offense, I'm sure we can get a high draft pick for him!

Christl is either

A. Losing his mind
B. An idiot
C. Bored and had to turn SOMETHING in
D. Attempting to be sarcastic. He gets a F minus-minus for his sarcasm attempt if that's the case
E. All of the above

falco
04-17-2006, 07:29 PM

I think Christl's a lot more sane than most running around this forum.

His suggestion would be perfect for the team and for Brett.

I wouldn't mind seeing him win the superbowl for someone else this year...he deserves it.

And one more year of him going 6-10 isn't going to do anything good for us...only keep us from the #1 pick next year![/url]

b bulldog
04-17-2006, 08:45 PM
I agree Falco, trade him if we can get a 2 or better. This is what is best for the ORGANIZATION AND THE PLAYER!!!!!!

GBRulz
04-17-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't get why people even waste their time talking about trading Favre. How many times does he have to say "I will not play for another team" ?

it's like the sign that says "Slow traffic keep right"...some people just don't get it.

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Brett has also said he doesn't want to come back and play for team that is not competing for a Superbowl next fall. So if you just take Favre's words as unchangable, he's retired. TT is sticking to his long term rebuild.

I think Favre is unsettled.

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 10:09 PM
I don't get why people even waste their time talking about trading Favre. How many times does he have to say "I will not play for another team" ?

it's like the sign that says "Slow traffic keep right"...some people just don't get it.
Define slow...

b bulldog
04-17-2006, 10:44 PM
It's called PR

Tarlam!
04-18-2006, 08:10 AM
I would like to see Brett come out and say he was wrong about everything. I would like him to come out and say, the Packers are higher than any individual. In my fantasy:

* Brett Favre puts himself in the sole service of making sure A-Rod is ready when his time comes.
* The offense hums like a Hummer in an Iraqi sandstorm, because Brett demonstrates Teamwork!.
* Brett should reach out and endorse M3.
* He publicly lauds TT for his prudent acquisition policy.
* He rallies the fans behind his Green and Gold banner.
* He twists the knife on J-Walk.

In my dream, Brett Favre leads the Packers to greatness by his example of giving 100% to a lost cause in the belief that this is good for the next generation.

IMHO, that would be best for all parties.

MJZiggy
04-18-2006, 08:29 AM
If I knew I could have that dream, I'd go back to bed right now.

mraynrand
04-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Once again, Cristl is trying to pulls the fans' chain. First, the Packers would get virtually nothing for Favre in a trade. Not team (with the possible exception of the the Redskins) has ownership that is stupid enough to blow anything higher than a third rounder on the guy (But Gibbs would keep Snyder in check). Second, does anyone for one minute think that is the unthinkable should occur, that the Packers would let Favre finish his career in Chicago or Minnesota? Unless they got a a number one and several other picks it just wouldn't be worth it. Third, does Favre want to return to just ANY team, just to have another crack at the Superbowl? If he had never been to the show, this might make sense, but if you LISTEN TO HIM, you'll understand that this isn't the reason he's return. Finally, LISTEN TO FAVRE. He's told you what he's thinking (sometimes at lengths no one cares to stick around for). Hasn't he always told exactly what's on his mind. That GB Michele has it right - he doesn't WANT to go to a different team with a different system etc. (even if it is similar). I think Favre can see the writing on the wall and he has to decide if he wants to come back and play for a team that could win anywhere from 5-9 games. Cristl can bite me with that playing for Chicago or Minnesota crap.