PDA

View Full Version : Another need in FA or draft - Tight end

digitaldean
09-17-2006, 07:48 PM
I have absolutely HAD IT with the subpar play of our tight ends.

Bubba Franks has not materialized into a go-to type of TE. David Martin has survived for several seasons with the "potential" tag hung on him.

Donald Lee may be serviceable enough for a reserve. But the other 2 just don't cut it at all.

They do not stretch the field, they have inconsistent ball catching ability and are not a sufficient player like Chewy (in his prime), Novacek.

I don't expect a Todd Heap-type of TE to fall to us. But there's GOT to be better talent available!

red
09-17-2006, 07:58 PM
you would think that this would be one of the top priorities for us, te's are supose to be a big part of the WCO, but they aren't in our current system, and they haven't been in awhile

Lurker64
09-17-2006, 07:58 PM
If it comes to the draft, I kind of want Scott Chandler out of Iowa. He's 6-7 257 and has great hands. Probably can get him in the second round, but I confess to not knowing anything about who is projected where in the draft this year.

digitaldean
09-17-2006, 08:00 PM
you would think that this would be one of the top priorities for us, te's are supose to be a big part of the WCO, but they aren't in our current system, and they haven't been in awhile

David Martin did have a few catches later in the game. But for the most part, he was a non-factor.

Bubba, well... let's just say IMO that it looked like Brett wanted to shred him a new one with the way he was playing. Definitely not worth the extra money they signed him for. He'll be dead money to the cap if we cut him next season.

b bulldog
09-17-2006, 08:11 PM
this past year would have been a great year to have drafted a TE

Willard
09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Bubba is indeed disappointing. He just seems a little lost out there after his "throw-away" season last year. On the positive side, he apparently bared his soul, sucked it up, and apologized to his team in the locker room after the game. He blamed himself for the loss. At least he knows he sucked and is holding himself accountable. I'll give him a little credit for being a stand-up guy. The question is can he use today's humiliation as motivation to find his way back to pro-bowl form or is he physically spent?

FritzDontBlitz
09-17-2006, 09:02 PM
that's funny. if i recall correctly, when a number of us were BEGGING for stud te vernon davis to be drafted everyone claimed we already had 3 good tight ends.

apparently they meant tight ASSES, cuz right now the 3 te we have are pretty depressing....

red
09-17-2006, 09:33 PM
that's funny. if i recall correctly, when a number of us were BEGGING for stud te vernon davis to be drafted everyone claimed we already had 3 good tight ends.

apparently they meant tight ASSES, cuz right now the 3 te we have are pretty depressing....

a TE with the 5th overall pick would have been the biggest waste ever, we got a much better player at #5. but there were TE's in later rounds that would have been nice

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2006, 09:35 PM
this past year would have been a great year to have drafted a TE

That TE in San Francisco isn't doing much. He had a 31 yard TD catch last week, but outside of that catch he has 6 receiving yards in two games--not to mention a crucial fumble in game one.

Badgepack
09-17-2006, 11:36 PM
I'd like to see the Packers bring in a free agent 6'8"ish college basketball player, that can't make the NBA, and try him out at tight end like Gates in San Diego. If they did the homework, someone with highschool experience, it may work.

Pack_Attack
09-17-2006, 11:52 PM
I am 6'3, have about 4.8 speed and have hands like none other.... I was also a TE in HS so where do I send my resume to TT at???

woodbuck27
09-18-2006, 12:10 AM
I am 6'3, have about 4.8 speed and have hands like none other.... I was also a TE in HS so where do I send my resume to TT at???

Get errrrr done ! :mrgreen:

I am disappointed in how invisable Bubba has been in the first two games.

M3 made it clear in TC that the TE's would play a bigger role this season with the new verson of the WCO.

Martin and Franks made 9 receptions for 62 yards and a long of 11 and 10 respectively, so in the other 7 catch's they combined for 41 yards or slightly less that 6 yards per catch. Not coming close to stretching the field.

Donald Lee? ZERO catch's. Shaking my head. WTH. :oops: