PDA

View Full Version : Silly reporter comment

Patler
09-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Havel writing about Kampman:

"The Saints tried to block Kampman with only a tight end, and he made them pay with two sacks in New Orleans’ first four possessions. He added another sack early in the second half, but was shut out the rest of the way."

"...but he was shut out the rest of the way." ????
What did he expect, 5, 6 7 sacks?
The guy gets 3 sacks, and Havel's comment concludes with "... but was shut out the rest of the way." What a dumb remark.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Kampman was in the zone, if only KGB could have matched his effort.

woodbuck27
09-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Havel writing about Kampman:

"The Saints tried to block Kampman with only a tight end, and he made them pay with two sacks in New Orleans’ first four possessions. He added another sack early in the second half, but was shut out the rest of the way."

"...but he was shut out the rest of the way." ????
What did he expect, 5, 6 7 sacks?
The guy gets 3 sacks, and Havel's comment concludes with "... but was shut out the rest of the way." What a dumb remark.

I am getting alot more now fr. Jason Wilde,Patler.

Which reporter on the Packer beat, do YOU respect most and second most?

GO PACK GO !

GBRulz
09-18-2006, 08:59 AM

I think KGB stepped up his play quite a bit yesterday, don't get why people are doggin' him. He had some decent pressure, plus a sack and stripped the ball for a fumble. However, he needs to do this on a more consistent basis, that's for sure.

Chester Marcol
09-18-2006, 10:37 AM

I think KGB stepped up his play quite a bit yesterday, don't get why people are doggin' him. He had some decent pressure, plus a sack and stripped the ball for a fumble. However, he needs to do this on a more consistent basis, that's for sure.

The problem as I saw it yesterday is the Saints adjusted and our DE's couldn't answer. Once the Saints figured it out, they were able to limit our pass rush. Every once in a while pass rush just isn't going to cut it. The heat has to come conistantly otherwise we allow a quarterback to find that comfort zone like Brees did.

wist43
09-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Kampman played OK... the first sack and fumble did come against a TE. I know if I were an opposing Offensive Coordinator, I wouldn't presume to block him with a TE. Kampman's not great, but he can certainly beat the snot out of a TE.

As a whole, the defense was breaking down somewhere on just about every play mid-2nd quarter on...

I think we're once again to the point where we need to start up a "fire Kurt Schottenheimer" band wagon. The blown coverages are bad enough, but what is really depressing is the overall poor technique and loose coverage demonstated on just about every snap. Usually by a different culprit on any given snap. Harris, Woodson, Collins, and Carroll all played very poorly. I haven't looked much at Manuel yet.

This defense is in big trouble.

Willard
09-18-2006, 11:10 AM
"fire Kurt Schottenheimer"

hear, hear

mmmdk
09-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Kampman played OK... the first sack and fumble did come against a TE. I know if I were an opposing Offensive Coordinator, I wouldn't presume to block him with a TE. Kampman's not great, but he can certainly beat the snot out of a TE.

As a whole, the defense was breaking down somewhere on just about every play mid-2nd quarter on...

I think we're once again to the point where we need to start up a "fire Kurt Schottenheimer" band wagon. The blown coverages are bad enough, but what is really depressing is the overall poor technique and loose coverage demonstated on just about every snap. Usually by a different culprit on any given snap. Harris, Woodson, Collins, and Carroll all played very poorly. I haven't looked much at Manuel yet.

This defense is in big trouble.

I think Kampman played better than OK and he's also better than OK - Kamp doesn't get enough credit. Other than that, I totally agree with you Wist.

ahaha
09-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I can't believe how much critisism is leveled against the D-line. I thought they played well. The real breakdowns came in pass coverge. 4 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and consistent run stuffing. Take away that 23 yd touchdown run ( A situation where you could argue the Packers were stunned and deflated ) and the Saints running game did nothing. I saw a few 'almost sacks' that Brees completed to running backs in the flat. And, how many times did the Pack blitz? Not that many. The blame in this defensive performance has to to be put on the serious breakdowns in pass coverage. Collins gave up to big plays on short-arm passes. Carroll and Manuel bit on a play fake for a big touchdown. Poppinga was awful again in coverage.

jack's smirking revenge
09-18-2006, 12:02 PM

The problem as I saw it yesterday is the Saints adjusted and our DE's couldn't answer. Once the Saints figured it out, they were able to limit our pass rush. Every once in a while pass rush just isn't going to cut it. The heat has to come conistantly otherwise we allow a quarterback to find that comfort zone like Brees did.

Agreed. The Saints adjusted to the mess we were making of their team, we didn't counter-adjust well enough and ended up slipping back into the quicksand of a mediocre team. I definitely think that says something about the coaching. We were on fire in the first quarter then gave them 20 points and then attempted a last-ditch effort to tie the game. A game that we really should've won.

The D-line did have a decent day with numerous sacks and with neutralizing the run, but the pressure wasn't consistent enough to cloak our secondary problems.

tyler

Jimx29
09-18-2006, 12:24 PM
this could be the Rats longest thread if we kept adding stupid ass color commentators comments

Chester Marcol
09-18-2006, 12:27 PM
The blame in this defensive performance has to to be put on the serious breakdowns in pass coverage. Collins gave up to big plays on short-arm passes. Carroll and Manuel bit on a play fake for a big touchdown. Poppinga was awful again in coverage.

I can't believe Brees had enough time to stand in the pocket, pump fake, and then step into a deep pass.

I can understand the point you and others make. If our DB's are playing better, my observations of the D-line wouldn't be as glaring as I think they are. I just think that all DB's collectively can only cover for so long. If the quarterback has time to get to his 2nd and 3rd reads, someone will be open enough. Pressure doesn't have to mean we are almost sacking the QB everytime. We just need the pocket to collapse a bit so the QB doesn't get to comfortable and maybe not able to step into pass like they would like to.

jack's smirking revenge
09-18-2006, 12:43 PM
this could be the Rats longest thread if we kept adding stupid ass color commentators comments

You know you've slipped a notch when you get Ron Pitts, Terry Donahue and Drew Smith to cover your game. They were HAAAAAAARRBILE!

tyler

ahaha
09-18-2006, 12:58 PM
The blame in this defensive performance has to to be put on the serious breakdowns in pass coverage. Collins gave up to big plays on short-arm passes. Carroll and Manuel bit on a play fake for a big touchdown. Poppinga was awful again in coverage.

I can't believe Brees had enough time to stand in the pocket, pump fake, and then step into a deep pass.

I can understand the point you and others make. If our DB's are playing better, my observations of the D-line wouldn't be as glaring as I think they are. I just think that all DB's collectively can only cover for so long. If the quarterback has time to get to his 2nd and 3rd reads, someone will be open enough. Pressure doesn't have to mean we are almost sacking the QB everytime. We just need the pocket to collapse a bit so the QB doesn't get to comfortable and maybe not able to step into pass like they would like to.

Even great lines can't put pressure on the quarterback every play. The pump fake/touchdown throw was Brees' first option. And when Brees feels the pressure and dumps the ball to the running back, who is at fault? That happened way too much. The secondary had an awful game and Poppinga/Barnett couldn't cover the running backs coming out of the backfield. I'm not trying to say the D-line was great, just that they did a yeoman's job and the coverage should get the blame for this defensive performance.

Chester Marcol
09-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Did you say yeoman?