PDA

View Full Version : Nick Collins -vs- Reggie Bush

RashanGary
09-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Was it just me or were his open field tackles nothing short of amazing. His coverage left soemthing to be desired, but he was more than Bush could handle today.

I think it's nice to have a weapon on defense who you can just line up on the games most explosive offensive weapon and just plain shut him down and beat him up.

I love toughness on defense. Collins was a beast today.

Thoughts?

mmmdk
09-18-2006, 01:53 AM
Collins and the rest of the defense got eaten alive in coverage. I agree with what you say but you CANNOT be one dimensional - then you only win 1 or 2 games all year. The Packers is a one dimensinal team, as of now, maybe they will develop in time. It's not a given and you'll have to start all over again.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2006, 02:17 AM
On one play where Collins chased Bush towards the sidelines it appears like Bush was complimenting Collins then they kinda hugged. Look like if Bush was saying "Damn your fast" or something.

Tony Oday
09-18-2006, 09:05 AM
On one play where Collins chased Bush towards the sidelines it appears like Bush was complimenting Collins then they kinda hugged. Look like if Bush was saying "Damn your fast" or something.

Nah he was like, "Collins know anywhere to get a slice and a beer after the game?"

Collins jsut said, "Yah Favres got a place and so does Barnett we can get loaded after this game and put it on their tab!"

Then Bush smiled ;)

RashanGary
09-18-2006, 09:43 AM

I think more than half of Collins tackles were on bush and most of them were all alone. Collins stopped Bush from getting into the open field multiple times.

I think they were both showing mutual respect. Collins is tough as nails and he's got a knack for tackling and not being beat that way. When I first knew Collins was going to be real, he was playing NE in a preseason game and he slammed Cory Dillon to the ground. Dillon looked like Where TF did that come from....

If you take away those 2 plays *wich you can't*, I think Collins was the most impressive defender. Of course you cannot take them away so his day was up and down and inconsistant. I think he focused harder when Bush was his assignment. When he had other assigments, I didn't see the focus. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Collins likes the challenge of playing the games best as he always seems to show up. If he can get consistant he'll start getting probowls. That respect that Bush showed is what gets probowl votes. Coaches and players remember when a guy dominates them and they vote accordingly. It will take a few years of beating guys up like he does but eventually if he can stop the mistakes, he's going to be a feared player and a guy offenses look out for.

He needs to get consistant with his coverage. He cannot keep getting beat like that. On the bright side, he's gotten better, and has some rare defensive toughness and pure speed. He's going to be responsible for 5 or 6 TO's this year. I consider that tip 1/2 of a TO. He'll get more though. He's going to force fumbles, I'm fairly certain of that.

b bulldog
09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
He tackles well but his coverage skills need to improve before he is labeled as a very good S.l

The Leaper
09-18-2006, 06:15 PM
This makes the acquisition of Manual all the more questionable. Why pair someone like that with Collins. Both have strong points closer to the line of scrimmage. We need a coverage safety to pair with Collins, not another run stuffer.

Personally, I would like to see Green Bay try to transition Carroll to safety. The guy is faster than Mexican food through your digestive tract. He might be the kind of coverage guy who would flourish beside Collins. If you stick him 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, he likely won't rack up a bunch of grabbing penalties either.

b bulldog
09-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Woodson needs to be the S and Manual goes to the bench.

RashanGary
09-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Woodson needs to be the S and Manual goes to the bench.

I could handle that. Carroll would have to step up at CB though.

RashanGary
09-18-2006, 09:45 PM
You got any favorites in this draft bulldog?