PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Passes Plague Packers Offense

FritzDontBlitz
09-18-2006, 04:54 AM
Dropped passes plague Packers' offense

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers September 18, 2006

After catching eight passes for 153 yards on Sunday, Packers receiver Donald Driver stood at his locker and shook his head.

There was nothing Driver could do to enjoy his accomplishments. After all, Green Bay had lost a frustrating game to the New Orleans Saints, and Driver was dissatisfied with the play of his fellow receivers.

Quite simply, there were too many dropped passes.

"Everybody who dropped a ball today, believe me, they've got to go home and look themselves in the mirror," Driver said. "It's a lack of concentration, and there's no excuse for it."

Packers tight end Bubba Franks is usually a reliable receiving threat, but he had a couple drops that will linger in his memory.

"I know I dropped more than my share," Franks said. "I think we were all trying to do too much, and we lost our concentration."

Favre was careful to not be overly critical about the dropped passes.

"It's frustrating, but I'm sure it's frustrating when I miss open guys or make the wrong reads," Favre said. "When a guy drops the ball, I don't think he does it on purpose. And when a guy misses a block, I don't think he does it on purpose."

The Packers' coaching staff was a little less forgiving.

"Drops are unacceptable," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "You have a responsibility. If the ball is thrown to you, you need to make the play."

Coach Mike McCarthy agreed.

"We dropped way too many balls today," McCarthy said. "Way too many."

Packers receiver Robert Ferguson, who caught just one pass, a 4-yard touchdown early in the fourth quarter, estimated that there were at least 10 drops.

"I think we were in double digits," Ferguson said. "Drops are drive killers, momentum killers, all those things rolled into one."

Running back Ahman Green was quick to step up as one of the culprits.

"I don't know how many we had, but I think I had four or five," Green said. "It's not like us, but it happened."

Franks said after the Packers blew their early 13-0 lead, the receivers focused too much on making a big play after the catch and too little on making the catch.

"I know with me, I was trying to turn every 5-yard pass into a home run, and I know I took my eyes off the ball," Franks said. "You've got to catch it before you run with it. It sounds simple, but it's something we didn't do today."

Driver said he didn't think Favre lost confidence in the receivers on Sunday.

"We always said we had to earn his trust. I think the receivers have pretty much earned it," Driver said. "We just didn't show it today. We can always do better, and we just need to make sure we go out next time and play the way we're capable of playing, because we didn't do that today."

I think its a good thing to have the players owning up to their own mistakes, rather than pointing fingers at each other.

BallHawk
09-18-2006, 06:38 AM
No excuses. And I heard that Bubba stood up in the locker room and apoligized in front of everyone.

Scott Campbell
09-18-2006, 07:44 AM
"I know with me, I was trying to turn every 5-yard pass into a home run, and I know I took my eyes off the ball," Franks said.

ROFL

Yeah Bubba, show us some of that wiggle as you rack up all those YAC.

Some of these guys manage to sound like ego maniacs evan as they're apologizing for career worst games.

lod01
09-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Did Jennings drop any? Looks like it was Green and Franks doing the dropping.

run pMc
09-18-2006, 09:36 AM
I appreciate them showing accountability, but I'd have appreciated them making the catch more.
Tough loss to take after being up 13-0 at home. I'm hoping they show some fight and much better execution vs. DET.

Patler
09-18-2006, 10:21 AM
It's amazing that the coaches and fans have a "no tolerance" policy for drops and fumbles, but most seem willing to forgive Favre at every opportunity, be it his fumbles, his interceptions or other mistakes. I don't mean it with respect to anything in particular yesterday, as for the most part Favre played well yesterday. It's just the overall attitude that I find a bit funny.

What it really comes down to is that your best players are allowed to screw up, the others are not.

MJZiggy
09-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Patler, you sound like Favre in his post-game press conference...!

Patler
09-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Patler, you sound like Favre in his post-game press conference...!

I didn't hear it, what did he say?

MJZiggy
09-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Paraphrasing, he said that you cannot place blame for the loss on the young guys because it's the vets' responsibility as well to get the job done. He will not blame the receivers for the drops because he's sure that they don't drop them on purpose and he will not blame them any more than they blame him for wild throws. He said that they play as a team and each own up to what they did wrong and don't point fingers. That's how you tell the character of your teammates. He said they would see should the troubles continued, who helps the team and who would resort to fingerpointing. I saw it as a subtle warning or challenge to the rest of the team not to engage in that sort of behavior.

Noodle
09-18-2006, 04:20 PM
You've got to admire Favre for that kind of statement. You've gotta believe he was frustrated as hell with his receivers yesterday -- you could see it on his face when they'd do a close up on him after yet another drop.

He could've done one of those subtle, "yeah, we had some problems on the receiving end today" kind of digs, but he went total high road. Not easy to do when you're exhausted, frustrated, and 0-2.

CyclonePackFan
09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
No excuses. And I heard that Bubba stood up in the locker room and apoligized in front of everyone.

Now all he has to do is call me and apologize to me and the rest of my FFL team.

Partial
09-18-2006, 05:27 PM
The Favre should fricking shave. He looks so old with the beard. It's time I see him where he doesn't look like a young grandfather and start looking like that energetic kid we all love.

Ballboy
09-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Does anyone think the drops has anything to do with the lack of practice balls being thrown by Brett? Especially in the case of Green?

Lets face it, Brett throws a special ball....and still has a cannon. Alot of Db's and Lb's have dropped sure INTs due to the pass.

cpk1994
09-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I think part of it has to do with Brett throwing missles every time he throws. That is why he wasn't overly critical. Because he knows he puts too much mustard on the ball and that causes some drops.