PDA

View Full Version : Rick Spielman chat

K-town
04-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Chat with Rick Spielman

Welcome to The Show! On Monday, NFL Insider and former Miami Dolphins GM, Rick Spielman, will stop by to take your questions on the latest with the NFL labor issue.
Spielman also worked as Director of Pro Personnel with the Chicago Bears and spent seven seasons in the player personnel department of the Detroit Lions.

Send your NFL questions now and join Rick in The Show on Monday at 5 p.m. ET!

Spielman Archive: Chats | Columns

Buzzmaster: (5:09 PM ET ) Hellooooo! Rick will be joining us soon. Thanks for your patience!

Buzzmaster: (5:21 PM ET ) Rick's TV segment went long and he just finished. He'll be here in just a few minutes .. approximately 5:25 ET.

Buzzmaster: (5:43 PM ET ) Whew.. first schedule problems and then computer problems .. but Rick will be here any minute .. promise!

Rick Spielman: (5:46 PM ET ) Thanks for joining me on the chat. Sorry for the delay but I will stay the full hour to answer all your questions. So let's get started

Rick Spielman: (5:46 PM ET ) Thanks for joining me on the chat. Sorry for the delay but I will stay the full hour to answer all your questions. So let's get started

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
raza MD: DO YOU THINK DEMECO RYANS CAN FALL DOWN TO THE REDSKINS.OR THEY CAN MOVE UP.IF THEY MOVE UP WHO WILL IT BE FOR.

Rick Spielman: (5:49 PM ET ) Ryan is a very good football player but did not have great test numbers which may make him slide some. I remember D Brooks when he came out of Fla St. He did not have great test numbers but turned out to be a Pro Bowl LB. At that position instincts and play making skills are the most important and Ryan has those.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brian (reno nv): hey rick. i was just wondering, with the 49ers qb alex smith only having 1 td last season, what kind of year do you expect him to have in the 06? season?

Rick Spielman: (5:51 PM ET ) It will be intersting to see how he progresses in the second year. He did not have much help but the game looked to fast for him last year. He will need to improve or may be considered another top round bust at that position. A few playmakers on offense would help

mark(schenectady,ny): rick,why won't the giants sign arrington? Pierce wants him and he'd play all out especially against the skins(division foe)?

Rick Spielman: (5:53 PM ET ) I'm sure they would want him but his price may be to high. They went out and revamped their secondary in free agency. It is not a matter if they want him but a matter of how much money they can afford

Jason (Madison, WI): Hope you had a good holiday weekend Rick! Many experts currently have A.J. Hawk going to the Packers at #5. Here's the problem with the pick we are hearing in Packerland. With current LB Nick Barnett more than likely staying on the field for nickel and dime packages because he drops back into coverage so well, Hawk could be limited to only 2 downs per series. Taking nothing away from Hawk, a #5 pick on a 2 down player seems too high. Your thoughts and would you stay with Hawk if he were on the board or would you go with a different player? Thanks!

Rick Spielman: (5:56 PM ET ) Barnett is a very good football player but Hawk is exceptional. You have to have playmakers on defense and both of these players fit the bill. They could play more nick than dime if they wanted to keep their best players on the field. Coaches have to be able to adjust their scheme to get the best 11 on the field

Brooks (Del Mar): What are the Chargers looking to get for Donnie Edwards? Who are they targeting?

Rick Spielman: (6:00 PM ET ) The Chargers are trying to move Edwards for a first day pick. I've heard as high as the second round. It is very tough to move a vet player right before the draft. Most teams have layed out their game plan and any team that may need a linebacker rather draft one than sign a vet like Edwards. If the can't fill that need than Edwards may become in higher demand. The other issue is the salary and lenght of the contract. Teams have to determine his worth and are they willing to pay that price financially. A first day rookie will be a better fit from a cap standpoint for most teams

Ray Lynbrook N.Y.: Rick-Who would be a better fit for the Packers Mario Williams or A.J.Hawk and what are the chances of Williams being there at the five spot. Thanks.

Rick Spielman: (6:01 PM ET ) Always draft the pass rusher first. They are tough to come bye

Mark Detroit Mi.: Who should the Lions draft

Rick Spielman: (6:02 PM ET ) The Lions need to draft defense. The last 5 years have been spent on offensive players. Huff is a perfect fit and their new head coach has a defensive background

Steve, NJ: Does the Jets signing of Trey Teague mean that they wont address center in the draft or do they still look to draft a mid-round guy like Eslinger?

Rick Spielman: (6:05 PM ET ) They should still address that position. He may be a quick fill in until the rookie is ready to take over. Teague is not a long term solution

Aron (St. Louis): Who is a better prospect for the 4-3 Strongside LB, Greenway or Sims?

Rick Spielman: (6:08 PM ET ) In my opinion Greenway. Sims is much more effective when covered up but he has better speed and athletic ability.

Brian. NY. NY.: Cowboys are meeting with RB Lendale White today. Aren't they already set with Julius Jones?

Rick Spielman: (6:12 PM ET ) Jones has durability issues and has yet to stay healthy. Barber also showed flashes last year of beibg a pretty good back. I see Dallas trying to address more pressing needs like DS and OLINE. If they draft a RB there may be more concerns about Jones internally within the organization

gary las vegas nv: How about the Vikes? Will they trade for Schaub or draft a QB? What are you hearing?

Rick Spielman: (6:14 PM ET ) The Vikings need to address the qb issue. Johnson is the starter and did a great job for the team last season but is 38 years old and can he hold up physically thru a 16 game schedule. They signed McMahon but is is not the long term answer either. LOkk for them to possible address this need in the second round

Craig (Ottawa): If the Texans select Reggie Bush, what will they do with Domanick Davis?

Rick Spielman: (6:16 PM ET ) Davis has talent but can not stay healthy. MOst teams that have success running the ball in this league have two very good backs on their roster. Even the best like LT in San Diego wear down at the end of the season when the have to carry the full load.

Josh (Dexter, NY): Hey Rick. CB's Jennings and Cromartie are scheduled for visits in Detroit. Do you think Detroit is seriously considering trading down and is this a smart move with all of their needs?

Rick Spielman: (6:19 PM ET ) They need help in the secondary but I don't know if it is wise to pass up a player like MIcheal Huff. He is unique because of his ability to play eother corner or safety very well. He is the best defensive back in this draft.

Bob, Cleveland: Do you forsee a trade with the first 5 picks of the draft and who might move up? Have a good day!

Rick Spielman: (6:23 PM ET ) The only team that has enough fire power to move up in that area of the draft is the NYJ. That will depend on which qb if any they like. The word is they like Cutler the best. If that is the case they do not have to trade up. The question becomes do you take Ferguson or Culter. I take Ferguson assuming Williams is gone

Josh (Dexter, NY): Hey Rick. Somebody always surprizingly falls way down in the 1st round. Who will it be this year and why?

Rick Spielman: (6:27 PM ET ) Most of the time a top player will fall because of an off field issue. Usually related to a failed physical, drugs or an arrest. Two examples would be Warren Sapp and Randy Moss. I have not heard of any of the top players in this draft with those type of issues that would cause them to fall in the top ten

Dave (Concord, CA):: Hey Rick, just read that the Niners hired Lal Heneghan as the VP of football operations? Know anything about him and do you think he's a good hire for them? Thanks.

Rick Spielman: (6:29 PM ET ) Lal Heneghanhas worked as a lawyer in the NFL office and also with the Cleveland Browns handling business operations on the football side which includes the salary cap. He is very qualified and will do a good job for the 49'ers in that capacity

Pete (Valparaiso, IN): Do you see the Bears taking a Tight End or Corner in the first round?

Rick Spielman: (6:32 PM ET ) They need both. The TE would give them a threat in the passing game they currently do not have. They also need a solid corner opposite Vasher. Both should be availabe at the pick. I would take the highest rated player on the board at either of those positions and address the position with my next pick.

Todd (So. Cal): Speaking of the Texans, what is going on in their camp? Are they going to move the first pick? and how far down the board can they go to get Fergeson?

Rick Spielman: (6:38 PM ET ) The Texans can't move lower than the fourth pick. I don't see anyone coming up to trade for Bush. All the teams in the top of the first round can fill their needs without making a trade with very good players that should have an immediate impact except for maybe the qbs. So why trade up and lose draft picks when most of these teams are not a Reggie Bush away from the Super Bowl next year. Teams that nedd rbs in the first round qwill wait to see what falls to them.

Jack - Denver: What's the word on the Broncos? Do you think they will make a trade?

Rick Spielman: (6:40 PM ET ) THe Broncos do not need to trade. They can fill two huge needs, rb and wr, in the first round without trading.

Josh (Dexter, NY): Is D'Brickashaw Ferguson the "safest" pick in this year's draft?

Rick Spielman: (6:42 PM ET ) He is an excellent player but does have some concerns espcially in the running game and his ability to move people of the ball. In my opinion AJ Hawk is the safest pick int the top of the draft beside Bush

Rick Spielman: (6:43 PM ET ) Thanks for joining me today. Those where some great questions. Look forward to next time