PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead--realistic expectations

Packers4Glory
09-18-2006, 05:41 AM
forget playoffs or 3-2 records headed into the bye.

I want to see this team be competitive and show steady improvement over the final 8 weeks. I don't expect many wins, but having a young team, I want to see improvement. 8 weeks to make rookie mistakes, final 8 weeks to start showing which young guys belong and which don't. 8 weeks for those rookie O-line to start feeling comfortable and know what they are doing.

I like our young line as far as potential goes. IF they can develope those guys, we'll have a solid line for awhile which is critical as everyone knows. Part of our struggles is due in part to inexperience on the line. I want to see them playing much better instinctive, nor reactive, football the final 8 weeks.

wins and losses aren't the bottomline, but improvement and learning what it takes to win, and win close ones is critical, not just for the players, but this rookie coaching staff as well.

I'd expect a top 3 pick next yr. major needs as I see them now.

RB, DT, WR, CB.

BallHawk
09-18-2006, 06:36 AM
I see RB as our biggest need. Help on the o-line is needed. DT isn't a major need, I would say we're more in need of another DE. Kampman is great, but KGB just doesn't cut it.

Chubbyhubby
09-18-2006, 09:22 AM
By the looks of things this team is no better off than 4-12. The main reason they went 4-12 was bad luck and injuries. This team currently is simply bad. You state that you hope this team goes 8-8 Fine. However which teams do the Packers beat? Granted they scored 27 points if you recall the Packers scored 53 points last year against this team. Not suprising. I would like to ask everyone on this forum this question. REALISTICALLY, Which teams do you think the Packers will beat?

Here is my prediction: Bears = No
Lions = Yes
Vikings = No
Cardnals No
St Rams Yes

Everyone else will be a loss. So I predict by t he end of the season IF THEY DON"T Improve 3-13.

Would like to add if that happens 3-13 TT and MM will be looking else where for work next season.

wist43
09-18-2006, 11:46 AM
The defense is a complete mess... busted coverages, loose coverage, poor technique, and an overall lack of awareness has to be attributed to a poor coaching staff.

We've seen some of these guys perform reasonably well in this league (Woodson, Harris, and Manuel - and Collins played reasonably well last year), now all of a sudden nobody has the first clue how to play the game???

One thing this defense has in common with 2004's debacle is Kurt Schottenheimer. I'm convinced the guy can't coach at the NFL level.

Beyond Schottenheimer, Sanders has to bear the overall responsibility for the defenses nightmarish play. Both he and Jagodzinski were complete unknowns moving into coordinator positions - neither has done much to to instill much faith. The passing game is showing signs of progress, however.

As for what we have to look forward to???... lots of losing.

No Mo Moss
09-18-2006, 11:52 AM
I think they can win 8 games if they improve each week, which so far they have done. If they start to regress I'll worry.

jack's smirking revenge
09-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Realistic? I think 4-12. If they overachieve, then I'll be pleasantly suprised.

They looked like a different team in the first quarter, dominating on defense and efficient on offense. I think N.O. then figured out what we were up to, made adjustments (quicker than the Packers coaching staff can or could) and shut down what was working for us. To spot them 20 points without much fight is laughable. Especially at home.

tyler

ahaha
09-18-2006, 11:58 AM
The defense is a complete mess... busted coverages, loose coverage, poor technique, and an overall lack of awareness has to be attributed to a poor coaching staff.

We've seen some of these guys perform reasonably well in this league (Woodson, Harris, and Manuel - and Collins played reasonably well last year), now all of a sudden nobody has the first clue how to play the game???

One thing this defense has in common with 2004's debacle is Kurt Schottenheimer. I'm convinced the guy can't coach at the NFL level.

Beyond Schottenheimer, Sanders has to bear the overall responsibility for the defenses nightmarish play. Both he and Jagodzinski were complete unknowns moving into coordinator positions - neither has done much to to instill much faith. The passing game is showing signs of progress, however.

As for what we have to look forward to???... lots of losing.

Like most posters, I agree about Shottenheimer. The confusion in pass coverage is ridiculous. But, this defense isn't a total mess. The run defense has been excellent. They've shut down two teams, that on paper, should have good running games. If, and it may be a huge 'if' with Shottenheimer, the pass coverage can be shored up, this could be a decent defense.

AtlPackFan
09-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Would like to add if that happens 3-13 TT and MM will be looking else where for work next season.

No they won't. They should be - I have absolutely no confidence in the management or coaching staff at this point - but they will give Thompson one more year at least and Thompson isn't about to pull the plug on his coaching hire.