PDA

View Full Version : Fire Kurt Schottenheimer thread

Tony Oday
09-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Maybe Tar and Feather him as well?

(this thread is inspired by Wist)

jack's smirking revenge
09-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I'd jump on board the "Fire Schittenheimer" bandwagon if we could identify an adequate replacement. Do we have talent within the ranks to promote? My guess is that this will happen immediately at the end of the season. Not only will he be fired, but he'll be exiled to NFL Europe, where the best job he'll be able to get is Concession Manager for the Rhein Fire. At least he'll have access to all sorts of "secondary" products then....

tyler

Scott Campbell
09-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Now were talking.

Gotta love some good old fashioned blood lust after another crappy loss.

Zool
09-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Lets shove a red hot poker in his ass on the way out. He's screwed the Packers out of a bunch of paychecks, its time to return the favor.

wist43
09-18-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm on board...

I think he's proven that he can't get it done. His secondaries are always a mess.

mmmdk
09-18-2006, 12:49 PM
No question - GET HIM OUT.

rbaloha1
09-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Scheme is sound.

Players are not executing.

AC bites on a double move. NC was there to make a play and failed.

KC inherited these players. Players need to held accountable.

ahaha
09-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I'd jump on board the "Fire Schittenheimer" bandwagon if we could identify an adequate replacement. Do we have talent within the ranks to promote? My guess is that this will happen immediately at the end of the season. Not only will he be fired, but he'll be exiled to NFL Europe, where the best job he'll be able to get is Concession Manager for the Rhein Fire. At least he'll have access to all sorts of "secondary" products then....

tyler

Just a crazy thought, but what about Leroy Butler? It seems like he wants to get into coaching.

jack's smirking revenge
09-18-2006, 01:06 PM

tyler

Just a crazy thought, but what about Leroy Butler? It seems like he wants to get into coaching.

Doubt he could do worse than Schittenheimer. Is he part of our coaching staff right now? Interesting thought.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2006, 01:07 PM
I'd rather promote Lionel Washington than have this guy in there. He was a part of the 2004 debacle--where our secondary looked lost. Last year, they looked a lot better. He's back, and they look like 2004 again.

Tarlam!
09-18-2006, 01:07 PM
...Tar and Feather...

Not sure where feather is hanging these days, but I'm here if needed :shock:

jack's smirking revenge
09-18-2006, 01:08 PM
...Tar and Feather...

Not sure where feather is hanging these days, but I'm here if needed :shock:

I hear Feather's doing stunts for Chuck Norris. Maybe, just maybe, if we could get Feather to bring in Chuck to do a gameday speech...

tyler

Tony Oday
09-18-2006, 01:16 PM
How about throwing some money Bate's way? Say come in for the rest of the year make a million dollars? I like the Butler idea. I also hear that the secondary coach of the Tartan Titans, a local high school here, is looking for a job so we have that going to ;)

LaFours
09-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Does anybody have any stats on other secondaries that Shottenheimer has coached? Did they do as bad as ours in '04 and the one we are so unforunate to watch this year?

Oh yeah, and kick his ass out! We didn't want him in the first place.

pbmax
09-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm in. Nepotism By Proxy has got to stop. Marty is bad enough, his family is worse.

I haven't even seen the game yet, but Larivee and McCarren on the radio couldn't explain several plays. Once it turned out Collins had fallen and they couldn't see him. On two others it took a replay to show how the defender had bitten on a juke or first move.

Collins looks like he has gone from good to suspect.

On the plus side, our run D looks vastly superior, but its going to be hard to be sure as teams will now pass at will on us until we stop it.

This is good news for Sanders, Nunn, Hairston, Moss and Thompson.

Maybe Bob Slowik can come back. His secondaries performed better than this, except 4th and 26. He was much more acceptable as a DB coach than Coordinator.

pbmax
09-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Yes, Slowik advocacy was partly is jest. but his units performed better than this.

Fosco33
09-18-2006, 02:02 PM

tyler

I'd hope an 'adequate replacement' could do better than completely inadequate status quo...

Time for a change - get out the axe and switch before we're down 0-5 and can't look back. So what if it takes a game or two for the new coach to implement some changes, doesn't look like it would retard us anymore...

Guiness
09-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Actually - Slowik wasn't bad as a Dbacks coach! I'd happily take him back in that position 8-)

Also - Bates is definitely still being paid by us. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out Slowik is still under contract.

So - call one of these guys to come in, and get rid of KS for crying out loud!

AtlPackFan
09-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Fire Shottenheimer, promote Washington, hire Butler as his assistant. There! It ain't going to happen but it's fun to speculate.

Could we get that red hot poker with barbed heads that expand once inserted? :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
09-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't usually jump in on "Fire (insert name here)" threads unless there's someone needing defending, but for this one I may have to make an exception...Tar, if you need a replacement for the missing feather, I will see what I can do.

Guiness
09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
You're going to dissassemble your boa and donate the pieces :shock:

Thanks - that's big of you.

MJZiggy
09-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Whatever I can do to help the team... :razz:

MacCool606
09-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Count me in on the Bandwagon too. He went from GB to St Louis, and they had a crappy def. They hire Haslett as Def Coordinator and upgraded their Def this year - and didn't apparently invite Kurt back.

How long can being Marty's brother keep you employed in this league? You'd think if he was any good, he would be working for Marty.

mission
09-18-2006, 03:46 PM
i don't think he has ever had a successful defensive backfield.

lets be realistic... if he had, at some point he would have received a shot at DC for the Texans or something. After all this time he's still coaching "turn and run" then there's a problem.

Yesterday we really looked like we took a lot of steps back in the DBfield. Ugh. Front seven looked awesome save BP/NB on a couple plays.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Sign me up for this wagon!!

CAN HIM BEFORE ANOTHER BOMB GOES FOR A TD!!!!!!!!

falco
09-18-2006, 09:37 PM
I said it way back when on JSO, but bring over Chuck Cecil. He's coaching DB's at Tennessee as we speak.

Fosco33
09-24-2006, 05:01 AM
Bump for posterity and another week as a data point in this coach's success/failure timeline...

FritzDontBlitz
09-24-2006, 07:24 AM
sign me up for first class seats....

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Two threads on this guy, he must be loved. :D

Seriously though the numbers don't lie, he needs to go. A secdonary that has Woodson, Harris, and Collins, should not be playing this poorly. And you can't even blame it on the D-line because there has been some pressure.

MJZiggy
09-24-2006, 04:03 PM
I know we won and everything, but still.

Iron Mike
09-24-2006, 04:08 PM
I said it way back when on JSO, but bring over Chuck Cecil. He's coaching DB's at Tennessee as we speak.

Hell, yeah!!! The old "Human Heat-seeking Missle!"

Partial
09-24-2006, 04:09 PM
We should bring in Deion. Not only would Favre have a buddy, our DBs would all be dressed to kill and have amazing end-zone dances.

billy_oliver880
09-24-2006, 04:13 PM
We should bring in Deion. Not only would Favre have a buddy, our DBs would all be dressed to kill and have amazing end-zone dances.

Carroll has an endzone dance? :shock: :shock:

MJZiggy
09-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I thought the No Fun League outlawed endzone dances...

Iron Mike
09-24-2006, 04:20 PM

Apparently "Prime Time" is busy running an AFL franchise:

http://www.arenafootball.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3500&ATCLID=271301&SPID=1547

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Shitenheimer still has to go.

run pMc
09-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Is this where I get on the Fire KS bandwagon?

I'm still stunned M3 hired him...especially when i think about 2004.

Tony Oday
09-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Yup the Bus is still gased up even after the win. GET HIM OUT!

BF4MVP
09-24-2006, 06:04 PM
I was thinking we'd never need another "Fire Schottenheimer" thread after it happened the first time...I can't believe he's back...

wpony
09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
I agree bring bates back we should have kept him as our head coach the first time :(

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I agree bring bates back we should have kept him as our head coach the first time :(

I like what I see from McCarthy. I really like the offensive game calling. I wonder what we would be seeing if Bates was HC.

Partial
09-24-2006, 06:22 PM

I like what I see from McCarthy. I really like the offensive game calling. I wonder what we would be seeing if Bates was HC.

Any thoughts on who his O-coordinator would be? Perhaps he'd look to his fellow former Miami coaches?

Bretsky
09-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Today was a breath of fresh air with the playcalling. It was horrific game one, but I think it's getting better every week.

B

Partial
09-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Today was a breath of fresh air with the playcalling. It was horrific game one, but I think it's getting better every week.

B

Agreed. Play calling was better. Still, whenever there was a tough third down, he looked like Ray Rhodes (dear in headlights).

MJZiggy
09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Partial, I'm starting to think he just looks that way, because it may be his first stint as HC, but he's been doing the playcalling for years. Didn't he call for both SF and NO?

VegasPackFan
09-24-2006, 07:35 PM
NO COACH is better tha Schittenheimer. Just tar and feather him, and then put a cardboard sign that says "THIS SEAT VACANT" in his spot in the booth.

We will improve with just those moves right there.

pbmax
09-24-2006, 07:55 PM

B
Play calling is as easy to blame for defeat as the team is flat accusation.

Very easy to diagnose, hard to prove.

And given that this is his first year, he had to have a shake out time to know what he had to work with.

Sherman took a year and 1/2 to develope an affinity for the power running game.

M3's adjustments, using more screens and Franks to keep the defense honest were nicely done and executed.

And he kept running, which is easier to do with a lead, but still, he should get the credit when he sticks with it.

pbmax
09-24-2006, 07:57 PM
And Schottenheimer still has to go.

Though Sanders made some decent adjustments, I thought, after the half. But still way too many receivers running free.

I love Kampman and like KGB, but we need a major boost in pass rush as well.

Corey Williams seemed to play better today than Cole. I didn't see Allen at all.

The Shadow
09-24-2006, 07:58 PM
I simply don't believe that the Packer braintrust does not scan the fan sites at least occasionally. Wouldn't you, if you worked for the Packers?
They must be aware of not only the poor secondary play, but of fan displeasure.

Tony Oday
09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
NO COACH is better tha Schittenheimer. Just tar and feather him, and then put a cardboard sign that says "THIS SEAT VACANT" in his spot in the booth.

We will improve with just those moves right there.

LOL

He is terrible and this should just be a sticky thread. Someone call up Pickett and tell him if he falls on Schitty that we will get him a TRIPLE Whopper :) WITH CHEESE!

falco
09-26-2006, 07:45 PM
I simply don't believe that the Packer braintrust does not scan the fan sites at least occasionally. Wouldn't you, if you worked for the Packers?
They must be aware of not only the poor secondary play, but of fan displeasure.

They've got nothing better to do than read fan forums to get coaching/management ideas? :roll:

If decisions were made off fan displeasure, MM and TT would have been canned after the first game.

MJZiggy
09-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Don't you mean after the press conference announcing M3's hiring?

VegasPackFan
10-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Bumping this thread after tonight's game.

We have talent in the Def Backfiled, but they need some direction. They are NOT getting any from this dud!!!!

Let him go!!

Kiwon
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM

We have talent in the Def Backfiled, but they need some direction. They are NOT getting any from this dud!!!!

Let him go!!

My thoughts exactly. Time to revived this thread.

Kiwon
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM

Let him go!!

My thoughts exactly. Time to revived this thread.

wist43
10-02-2006, 10:33 PM
It's simply not going to happen... I doubt it will happen after the season either.

Everybody keeps their job... and, "we'll ge it fixed", and "guys will step and be held accountable", and "we're close, we just need to tighten a few things up", and blah, blah, blah... :crazy:

GBRulz
10-02-2006, 10:52 PM
I disagree. McCarthy is going to hold people accountable, especially when it is an overall reflection on him. I will be very shocked if Schott is around after this year. I mean, it's not like this is the first year we've had him and he hasn't done well.

Not sure if B Sanders will get the boot after one season, but I'd bet that Schott is gone.

VegasPackFan
10-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I am absolutely SURE that Lionel Washington could step up and take the position. No reason at all that they cant fire him tomorrow.

C'mon, M3! Show some balls!

FavreChild
10-02-2006, 11:41 PM
I disagree. McCarthy is going to hold people accountable, especially when it is an overall reflection on him.

I love you, my dear, but do you really believe that rhetoric? Do you really believe M3 is calling the shots?

FavreChild
10-02-2006, 11:43 PM
I wonder what we would be seeing if Bates was HC.

I guess we'll never know.

And I don't think we can speculate with any accuracy.

However, we can speculate about what Bates' defense would like, and for certain, it wouldn't have anything to do with Kurt S.

GBRulz
10-02-2006, 11:52 PM
I disagree. McCarthy is going to hold people accountable, especially when it is an overall reflection on him.

I love you, my dear, but do you really believe that rhetoric? Do you really believe M3 is calling the shots?

TT gave M3 complete control over the hiring of his coaches, so yeah, I guess I do believe that. M3 has publicy called out the poor job done by the coaching (Zig posted it earlier)...plus a couple players have already lost starting jobs by not performing.

I actually have more faith in M3 than I do with TT....even though that's not saying much.

FavreChild
10-03-2006, 12:08 AM
M3 is no more in control of the Packers than Dubya is in control of the White House. In either case, it's not saying much.

M3's quote about "accountability"....that doesn't mean squat. Sure, I trust M3 more than TT, too....trust that M3 is completely out of his league.

If y'all give M3 "credit" for the decent first half play calling, then y'all have to blame him for the non-adjustments in the second half, and horrendous play calling.

Sure, I'd like to find a silver lining with M3 as much as y'all do. I don't hate the guy; and it's not his "fault" - but he still has no business being an NFL head coach. I don't appreciate my team, the most hallowed team in the league, playing host to amateur hour.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2006, 12:23 AM
I didn't really have any problems with the playcalling in either half. The problems with coaching are on the defensive side. His defensive staff is his biggest downfall right now. Offensively, I have no qualms with the playcalling.

Terry
10-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Why do I see people here (and elsewhere) calling for Lionel Washington to be promoted? He's been there throughout the process of undeveloping Ahmad Carroll. What makes anyone think he'd do better if he were promoted?

jack's smirking revenge
10-03-2006, 10:43 AM
To me, the promotion of Lionel Washington does not send a signal to anyone that we're looking to fix the problem. Honestly, I don't know much about him, but with all of the problems we're having in our secondary right now--compared to the decent level of play they had last year--I would think the influx of new blood would be the best direction. Bates may have been THE MAN that kept the secondary team fighting and, now, without any leadership at all, chaos and futility have taken over.

I guess I don't support the promotion of Washington. Can anyone give us an alternate POV? Why should he be promoted? What has he done to warrant taking over for Schittenheimer?

tyler

LaFours
10-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I am unable to respond to your challenge Jack's...but I did want to bump this thread up.

Schottentheheiny simply sucks. I see no immediate remedy to this problem. I only hope that this offseason, when McCarthy gets a second chance to augment his defensive coaching staff (and I am assuming here that Mr. ...heiny is not the only one sent packing), that he puts a little more thought into the process. No more hiring failures. Shit I'd rather see him pick someone who hasn't done it on this level but shows promise than picking a no good rat a second time.

If it looks like it, and smells like it, then it probably is.

Tarlam!
10-03-2006, 03:08 PM
"Schottentheheiny"

Now that's original and funny!

Tarlam!
10-08-2006, 04:26 AM
Bump. This thread should only die when our mission is completed.

FIRE THE GUY, ALREADY!!

Kiwon
10-08-2006, 05:32 AM
It's Game Day. Time to fire up this thread.

Fosco33
10-08-2006, 09:52 AM
It's Game Day. Time to fire up this thread.

If we give up a bunch of plays >25 yards for the 5th straight week, can we get past the PC bullshit about keeping positional coaches during your first year.

Shithouse has ruined a potentially average secondary to '04 days again.

"Sorry, you lose; don't call us - we'll call you." It's that easy - if you want, I'll do it :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 09:57 AM
I think they'll give him a break this week because if the new nickelback gets torched 3 times (which, sadly would still be an improvement over last week), then they blame it on a new player being in there and needing to acclimate to the first team. Then everyone will blame TT for firing Carroll and putting a kid in there.

Fosco33
10-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I think they'll give him a break this week because if the new nickelback gets torched 3 times (which, sadly would still be an improvement over last week), then they blame it on a new player being in there and needing to acclimate to the first team. Then everyone will blame TT for firing Carroll and putting a kid in there.

MJ (et all) - check out this article - it's long otherwise I'd copy/paste. Call me naive or ignorant (or both) - but I didn't know Lionel Washington is responsible for nickle and cornerbacks while Schottenheimer is responsible for safeties.

So really, who's to blame for a poor secondary that has issues w/ communication? I say the structure has to be included. I want positional coaches who are in constant communication and could do each other's job in a second. With that type of redundancy, players and coaches alike would understand and communicate more effectively.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=510404

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Nice read, Fosco. It's not that often that you read an article with Sanders' viewpoint in it.

Tarlam!
10-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Well, I guess the Packers.com people didn't quite get it right:

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/

He's listed as their secondary coach, meaning, he is the guy Washington reports to...

wist43
10-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I didn't really have any problems with the playcalling in either half. The problems with coaching are on the defensive side. His defensive staff is his biggest downfall right now. Offensively, I have no qualms with the playcalling.

Believe it or not, I'm with ya on this one Harv...

I've been pleasently surprised that M3 has gotten the offense moving fairly well, despite the absence of a running game. They've got to get the running game going though; if they don't, teams will just sell out on Favre and the offense will wilt - I fear.

Patler
10-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Why do I see people here (and elsewhere) calling for Lionel Washington to be promoted? He's been there throughout the process of undeveloping Ahmad Carroll. What makes anyone think he'd do better if he were promoted?

Packer DBs have universal identified Washington as a good coach who helps them. He has been here for 7 years with increasing responsibilities, but has yet to be the man in charge of the secondary. It's time for him to take that step, if not in GB than somewhere else.

VegasPackFan
10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
I must echo Patler's post above.

He seems to be highly respected by the players, and he played the position.

MacCool606
10-09-2006, 11:34 AM
And, if you remember the McKenzie saga, he painted Washington as the poster boy of someone who is qualified and continuelly passed over for the promotion.
MM hired a known imcompatent over an unknown possibility

mission
10-09-2006, 12:16 PM

MJ (et all) - check out this article - it's long otherwise I'd copy/paste. Call me naive or ignorant (or both) - but I didn't know Lionel Washington is responsible for nickle and cornerbacks while Schottenheimer is responsible for safeties.

So really, who's to blame for a poor secondary that has issues w/ communication? I say the structure has to be included. I want positional coaches who are in constant communication and could do each other's job in a second. With that type of redundancy, players and coaches alike would understand and communicate more effectively.

how the hell can there be authority division within the secondary? no wonder there are huge communication issues -- you have a guy coaching 1/2 of the coverage and another guy coaching the other 1/2. that seems incredibly stupid and just begging for a further divide between the unit.

stating the obvious, i know, but forcryinoutloud... i just cant get over this. :crazy:

Fosco33
10-09-2006, 12:20 PM

how the hell can there be authority division within the secondary? no wonder there are huge communication issues -- you have a guy coaching 1/2 of the coverage and another guy coaching the other 1/2. that seems incredibly stupid and just begging for a further divide between the unite.

stating the obvious, i know, but forcryinoutloud... i just cant get over this. :crazy:

I agree.

Does anyone know what other teams do in terms of having a safety coach and a CB/Nickle coach?

I understand having positional coaches is common - but you'd think there would be one guy over the secondary - someone responsible.

Tony Oday
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM

how the hell can there be authority division within the secondary? no wonder there are huge communication issues -- you have a guy coaching 1/2 of the coverage and another guy coaching the other 1/2. that seems incredibly stupid and just begging for a further divide between the unite.

I agree.

Does anyone know what other teams do in terms of having a safety coach and a CB/Nickle coach?

I understand having positional coaches is common - but you'd think there would be one guy over the secondary - someone responsible.

not for sure but I think the Vikings have a coach for EVERY position :) I seem to remember the local talk radio guys Pa and Dubay saying that there are a ton of coaches there :)

Rastak
10-09-2006, 01:08 PM

I agree.

not for sure but I think the Vikings have a coach for EVERY position :) I seem to remember the local talk radio guys Pa and Dubay saying that there are a ton of coaches there :)

Yea, after having the smallest coaching staff in the league last year (Thanks Red), including NO offensive line coach :crazy: they now have 21 coaches, most in the league I think.....including 2 offensive line coaches.

Merlin
10-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Does anyone have any pull with the Packers? I can throw in a keg of Leinenkugel's to whoever fires Shottenheimer.

Partial
10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I guess I don't see how all the blame can go out schotty. Our corners play man to man, so I don't think there needs to be a whole lot of teaching there for 20ish years of NFL experience with the starting corners. The safeties do look awful though, and that is his job to teach them where to be,

pbmax
10-09-2006, 04:35 PM

how the hell can there be authority division within the secondary? no wonder there are huge communication issues -- you have a guy coaching 1/2 of the coverage and another guy coaching the other 1/2. that seems incredibly stupid and just begging for a further divide between the unit.

It seemed to work last year. While DBs praise Washington, I think its an open question how effective he is.

He had mild success with Slowik and Baker, but has been part of a catastrophe with Schott.

I don't think it possible to conclude he is the answer, because even with Slowik and Baker, our pass coverage was pretty mediocre.

BooHoo
10-10-2006, 06:26 PM
He is history after the season. I hope the bears hiring him.

LaFours
10-19-2006, 03:31 PM
bump.

How did this make it all the way to the 4th page. I thought it needed refreshed.

Anybody got that "dead horse" emoticon to attach?

Tony Oday
10-19-2006, 03:55 PM
:beat:

Freak Out
10-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I hate our D, I think the WRONG coaches are in place and its not just Sheitenhamer. I want to see toughness. I want to see fear.