PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats

footballfever
09-18-2006, 03:33 PM
If you look on nfl.com under the stats you'll see that the Pack are I believe 4th to last in the NFC in rush offense and 6th overall in rush defense, adversly they are number 6 in pass offense and 2nd to last ahead only of NYG in pass defense. Every keeps talkin up next years draft wanting adrian peterson, I don't think so. Quality running backs exist all the way up to the 4th or 5th round they are a dime a dozen, we need a shutdown corner/kick returner. Our front 7 on defense are pretty damn good, can't do it all though our corners have been terrible. Moving Nick Collins to corner might be a good idea in the long run but for right now and for this season its all but lost with our pass defense. Bob sanders isn't creative enough to get effective pressure on the QB. We got victimized by two very average QB's in Grossman and Brees. There's no need to go jumping off any bridges, or calling for TT or M3's resignation it is a rebuilding year and it's gonna be up and down we will still have our Sunday retreat from our wives and significant others, just take the time to relax and enjoy the game, win lose or draw its all good.

mission
09-18-2006, 03:55 PM
if we pick 4-10 then i think we have to go DE or CB... if we go in the top 3 then we have to take a quinn/johnson/peterson i think...

im pretty sure we'll be in the former but im not sure who's out there... anyone know the top CB / DE prospects coming out next year?

premature, i know... :mrgreen:

BallHawk
09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I totally agree with your point. I did a post in another thread and 18 of the starting RB's in the league were drafted in the 2nd round or lower. 7 RB's drafted in the top ten are starting, and 7 RB's 11-32 are starting. I believe RB's are a product of their O-line and the system. If you have Adrian Peterson, who is the Sooner's offense, getting 30+ carries every game, of course he's gonna get good yardage.

I'd rather go after a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round, maybe late 1st, if there is anybody available, that is worth it. One person that I really like is Kenny Irons out of Auburn. He's a hard runner and he'll probably be available in the 15-20 area.

prsnfoto
09-19-2006, 07:25 AM
If you look on nfl.com under the stats you'll see that the Pack are I believe 4th to last in the NFC in rush offense and 6th overall in rush defense, adversly they are number 6 in pass offense and 2nd to last ahead only of NYG in pass defense. Every keeps talkin up next years draft wanting adrian peterson, I don't think so. Quality running backs exist all the way up to the 4th or 5th round they are a dime a dozen, we need a shutdown corner/kick returner. Our front 7 on defense are pretty damn good, can't do it all though our corners have been terrible. Moving Nick Collins to corner might be a good idea in the long run but for right now and for this season its all but lost with our pass defense. Bob sanders isn't creative enough to get effective pressure on the QB. We got victimized by two very average QB's in Grossman and Brees. There's no need to go jumping off any bridges, or calling for TT or M3's resignation it is a rebuilding year and it's gonna be up and down we will still have our Sunday retreat from our wives and significant others, just take the time to relax and enjoy the game, win lose or draw its all good.

The problem is our nickel and dime packages Woodsen and harris were fine we got torched on third down for the 2nd week in s row. Touchdowns were given up by Bush,Carroll and Collins. At this point on passing downs they might as well leave in the base defense and blitz like mofos the results can't get any worse.

Joemailman
09-19-2006, 07:37 AM
The Packers will be a respectable team when the defensive backfield starts stopping big plays. Collins was in position to stop 2 on Sunday, but couldn't make the play. On the 57 yard pass play to Joe Horn, Poppinga was supposed to have safety help. That should have been a 15 yard reception, not a 57 yard reception. I saw some good things from the Packers on Sunday, but the safeties have to start making plays for the Packers to win. If we see the Lions making big plays on Sunday, were in big trouble defensively.

GoPack06
09-19-2006, 08:48 AM
i agree with the getting RB's in later rounds too. But Adrian Peterson is one of those guys you cant pass on.

Scott Campbell
09-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I totally agree with your point. I did a post in another thread and 18 of the starting RB's in the league were drafted in the 2nd round or lower. 7 RB's drafted in the top ten are starting, and 7 RB's 11-32 are starting. I believe RB's are a product of their O-line and the system. If you have Adrian Peterson, who is the Sooner's offense, getting 30+ carries every game, of course he's gonna get good yardage.

I'd rather go after a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round, maybe late 1st, if there is anybody available, that is worth it. One person that I really like is Kenny Irons out of Auburn. He's a hard runner and he'll probably be available in the 15-20 area.

This is the same logic that landed us Tony Mandarich instead of Barry Sanders.

ahaha
09-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Here's an encouraging stat. The Packers are only allowing 2.7 yards per carry. Doing that against the Bear's running game and the combo of McAllister/Bush seems pretty impressive to me. It would appear, at this point, that A.J. Hawk is dramatically improving our run defense. Pickett looks like a good pick-up as well. They've only given up one run of 20 yards or more, and that was the 23 yard touchdown by McAllister after Green's morale deflating fumble.

run pMc
09-19-2006, 09:59 AM
I think the pass D will improve when the pass rush does. We also need starting CB's who aren't 45. Harris and Woodson are vets who are just OK at this point, and Carroll isn't gonna get it done as a long-term starter. It's possible with 2 new starters in the secondary that they are still adjusting to each other. I'm hoping that's all it is, but with Schotty coaching back there, I'm not optimistic. Collins should definitely stay at S and have a smart guy at the other S spot to line him up.

We should continue to draft for D...GB needs a pass rusher, a corner, and another LB to replace Popp/Taylor. GB also needs a RB, and I'm guessing TT will wait until rounds 3-4 to take one next year.

I'd like to see the D & O lines shored up...IMO you win games in the trenches and championships with defense.

Dune
09-19-2006, 07:25 PM
What really bothers me is that woodson hopefully can play saftey.
Unfortunetly that puts Manual as his backup. (39) + (10) million dollars for that one saftey position.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2006, 07:34 PM

This is the same logic that landed us Tony Mandarich instead of Barry Sanders.

True. Interesting fact, neither went to the SB.

MJZiggy
09-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Might Sanders have gone had he landed with an actual team?

Partial
09-19-2006, 07:49 PM

OK, and coincidentally 20 teams do not make the super bowl. It is absolutely ignorant to ignore the impact a game changing running back can have. LaDanian Tomlinson, Barry Sanders, Shawn Alexander, Marshall Faulk, Reggie Bush, etc. The same can be said about any position. Once you land a player a team has to gameplan around and try to stop, it opens up so many possibilities. I haven't seen enough of Adrian Peterson to make a judgement, but if his skill set is anywhere near that of Reggie Bush's, I will take him in a second without thinking twice and will laugh all the way to the bank.

I would reckon an image running back is more important than an impact receiver. Someone like Reggie Bush needs to be accounted for from the backfield and from the receiving position. He will be great simply because the ball is in his hands from the running back position, receiver position, and the returning position. Running backs are going to get 20 carries a game. Receivers maybe get 10 balls thrown their way.

Partial
09-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Might Sanders have gone had he landed with an actual team?

Of course. Sanders is a once-in-a-generation type player. He was ridiculous. Need I bust out the highlights? LT is the player that most closely resembles him, and he isn't nearly as skilled as a pure running back. Berry has the best scat back to ever play with the power of an Ahman Green.

Partial
09-19-2006, 07:53 PM
What really bothers me is that woodson hopefully can play saftey.
Unfortunetly that puts Manual as his backup. (39) + (10) million dollars for that one saftey position.

Manual will be cut if he doesn't step it up. Underwood and Culver would be solid back-ups. I would think they would ask Woodson to take a massive pay cut to play safety, also.

Partial
09-19-2006, 07:55 PM
I think the pass D will improve when the pass rush does. We also need starting CB's who aren't 45. Harris and Woodson are vets who are just OK at this point, and Carroll isn't gonna get it done as a long-term starter. It's possible with 2 new starters in the secondary that they are still adjusting to each other. I'm hoping that's all it is, but with Schotty coaching back there, I'm not optimistic. Collins should definitely stay at S and have a smart guy at the other S spot to line him up.

We should continue to draft for D...GB needs a pass rusher, a corner, and another LB to replace Popp/Taylor. GB also needs a RB, and I'm guessing TT will wait until rounds 3-4 to take one next year.

I'd like to see the D & O lines shored up...IMO you win games in the trenches and championships with defense.

I don't think either of the corners are super old. The'yre older, but there are plenty of older players in the league that are successful. TT must have convinced you guys that young players are the only way to go. I think the main problem is last year the picked on the nickel back and Carroll. This year, they're solid at all three and someone is going to need to be picked on. That's why each one has looked good and bad at times.

Partial
09-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Here's an encouraging stat. The Packers are only allowing 2.7 yards per carry. Doing that against the Bear's running game and the combo of McAllister/Bush seems pretty impressive to me. It would appear, at this point, that A.J. Hawk is dramatically improving our run defense. Pickett looks like a good pick-up as well. They've only given up one run of 20 yards or more, and that was the 23 yard touchdown by McAllister after Green's morale deflating fumble.

They're also substituting KGB and Kampman to keep them fresh far more than last year. That's also encouraging.

Fritz
09-19-2006, 08:02 PM
I really think TT has put Carroll in position to be successful this year - it's his make or break year with this team. He's now the nickel back and is in his third year - being young is no longer an excuse. That's why I was encouraged after the Bears game and disappointed after the Saints game.

I think a stronger pass rush would help the secondary more than anything or anyone.