PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tice

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2006, 11:01 AM
It was good to see Tice working the sidelines of the Jaguars last night on Monday night football. (Guess he must be former teammates of Jack Del Rio.) I always thought Tice was a good guy, probably just promoted a little too quickly, like Sherman.

When Tice, Sherman, Jauron, other decent people get canned as head coaches, fans/writers act like it is a great tragedy, or a disgrace, like a president getting impeached. But hell, they move on to new jobs in football, make over $100,000 per year. Not a bad life.

mission
09-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Not really on topic but I have a big feeling about Del Rio... I like him a lot, could see him being a significant leader from the sideline in the NFL for years to come.

Tice was always a good guy. Just reminded me of the typical uncle that everyone from Wisconsin seems to have. Not very impressive or well-spoken, but a hard worker who can command *some* respect.

Just not enough. :razz:

cpk1994
09-19-2006, 11:15 AM
He is a good guy, but still as dumb as a stump.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Tice was always a good guy. Just reminded me of the typical uncle that everyone from Wisconsin seems to have. Not very impressive or well-spoken, but a hard worker who can command *some* respect.

To veer widely off topic: I have a 9-year-old neice who contacted me in IM last night. I had to act quickly to remove my perverse screen image involving a gerbil, & change screen name to "Uncle Dick." She played me in a game of "Wheel of Fortune" (I didn't know that you could play games over Microsoft Messenger) and she solved the puzzle before I had a chance to guess a letter or buy a vowel.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2006, 11:17 AM

hah! He's not dumb, I've heard him being interviewed. He just looks dumb.
Perhaps he is dumb compared to other NFL head coaches, I really can't say. They are an extremely bright group.

mmmdk
09-19-2006, 11:19 AM

Perhaps he is dumb compared to other NFL head coaches, I really can't say. They are an extremely bright group.

I agree but Jerry Glanville...smart? Nah! :lol:

oregonpackfan
09-19-2006, 02:01 PM
So Mike Tice found a job walking the sidelines of the Jags, eh?

I was so hoping Mike could come out to Oregon and walk through the wooded trails of the Cascade Mountains. We haven't had a Bigfoot sighting in years!

OPF

Guiness
09-19-2006, 03:49 PM

I seem to remember him outgamplaning Sherman at half-time at least once.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2006, 04:37 PM
It was good to see Tice working the sidelines of the Jaguars last night on Monday night football. (Guess he must be former teammates of Jack Del Rio.) I always thought Tice was a good guy, probably just promoted a little too quickly, like Sherman.

When Tice, Sherman, Jauron, other decent people get canned as head coaches, fans/writers act like it is a great tragedy, or a disgrace, like a president getting impeached. But hell, they move on to new jobs in football, make over $100,000 per year. Not a bad life.

Tice cannot really be judged as a coach. The Vikes were notorious for their lack of spending on coaches and such. McCombs was like Culverhouse. He wasn't going to put any money in, so he could reap the highest profit when he sold, knowing he wasn't going to be around for the new stadium.

Tice was hired because he was the cheapest option. He made less money than any other NFL coach, perhaps the reason for his scalping. Ok, I know he still made a boat load more than you and I, but my point is valid. His coaching staff was last in total compensation. According to a 2004 annual salary survey conducted by the NFL Coaches Association, the Vikings' assistant coaching budget was $2,852,800, roughly $800,000 below the league median and about $2.2 million below the highest-paid staff.

Just for a point of reference, Tice was making less then assistant coach Monte Kiffin of the Bucs.

You know the adage, you get what you pay for.

The Vikings' staff also was in the bottom third of total coaches, with both coordinators doubling as position coaches.

They really put him in a raw deal last year with the OC thing, Linehan leaving . You think he wanted to go into the season with (forget his name) as the OC? Get serious. Good teams retain good coordinators. They wouldn't pay Linehan.

Had the Vikings NOT signed cornerback Antoine Winfield to a big-money free agent deal, they would have been in violation of league rules for not spending the MINIMUM required to field a competitive team back in 2003 or 04, forget which year they signed him.

I know this year they didn't want to pay a backup QB the same as Johnson. Seems reasonable till you realize Johnson is making 1.2 million. It is dang hard to find a good backup for that kind of cash. By one count, there are 40 quarterbacks -- starters and backups -- who are poised to earn more than $1.2 million this season.

They never competed for Jon Kitna, Josh McCown or Brian Griese. Buffalo outbid them for Craig FREAKING Nall, and Kerry Collins signed with Tennessee -- for nearly $2 million in 2006 compensation.