PDA

View Full Version : GBPG's Rob Demovsky Chat

motife
04-18-2006, 04:46 AM
Kenyan, newark, new jersey: Since the Browns are looking to trade Jeff Faine and also need depth at safety, how does trading M. Roman and a 5th round pick sound?

Rob Demovsky: Kenyan- If it were only that easy... Faine was a former first-round draft pick and even though he has struggled lately, I can't imagine the Browns taking that deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

steve, mansfield,tx.: rob: have you heard how the off season workouts are going? and how is greens, davenports, and sams rehabs going? thank you.

Rob Demovsky: Steve- Gado should be ready for minicamp, and Davenport could be. Don't expect Green to do anything significant before training camp. He had a serious injury. If you ask Green, he says he's ahead of schedule, but players always say that. The proof will be on the field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John, St. Petersburg, FL: I'd like to ask about something that nobody's talking about. If we made no more moves on defense other than a corner and some seviceable LB's, what are or chances of fielding a defense anywhere near last year's? Seperate question: How does our D-line look?

Rob Demovsky: John- Without Jim Bates coordinating the defense, there's no way to know. Bob Sanders is an unknown as a coordinator. Bates got just about everything he could out of that personnel.

Bob, Phoenix, AZ: Hey Rob- What do you think are the realistic odds of us signing Arrington (think Woodson is way overrated) and Javon Walker being traded?

Rob Demovsky: Bob- If Arrington thinks he's going to get a 7-year, $54 million, he's probably not going to get it from the Packers. If he's willing to bend, a deal could get done. At this point, I don't see any other reasonable ending to the Walker saga than a trade.

John, Ignacio, CA: Rob: If M Williams is not available at #5, should GB trade down for different first round pick and maybe an additional 2nd or 3rd? As far as Favre is concerned, I'm disappointed how this whole thing has unfolded. Give him a deadline and get on with it. I don't like someone seperating himself from the team and says "they" have to get better. He is part of "they". These are not words from someone who should be a leader. We supposedly have alot of CAP $ and according to one nationally printed article, if Brett retires, we probably could not spend enough of it to reach the league minimum. Let's trade for Lelei (Walker), sign Arrington, Woodsen, draft for defense and hook up the wagons. Agree?

Rob Demovsky: John- So you're saying you'd rather have Favre retire now than take his time and decide to play? Everyone is probably frustrated that it's taken Favre so long -- personally, as a reporter it's story that's dragged out long enough and has become tiresome to write, but it's my job, so I do it -- but isn't it a person's right to decide if they want to retire. How someone can force him into a decision is incomprehensible to me.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, wi: First of all saw you on Espn last week you were very informative . My question is do you think that Ted will stay at the 5th spot in the draft?

Rob Demovsky: Thanks for the compliment, Kimberly. Ted Thompson's history suggests that he likes to stockpile draft picks, so I would think if the player he absolutely loves isn't available at No. 5, he'll do everything he can to move down and grab more selections.

Bob, San Antonio: I will be out of contact with a computer to e-mail the question when you are on, but heres hoping you answer my question even if it is early--question What do you think of trading Walker to Denver for their disgrunteled reciver and a number 4 draft choice--wee need to get something for him

Rob Demovsky: Bob- I think there's a decent change the Packers will end up having to trade Walker (What other resolution is there?). If you're talking about the Broncos' Ashley Lelie, he's nothing more than a deep threat. He's not a complete receiver like Walker.

Andy, Hastings, MN: Hey Rob- I disagree with the amount of heat Thompson has taken to this point, but I gotta admit I'd like to see us sign Arrington. It's probably not the smartest thing, but we've got no depth at linebacker, and he's young and has the big play ability to upgrade that position immediately. If we don't sign him, we almost have to take AJ Hawk in the draft, and it's nice to not be forced into a corner on draft day. What do you think, is it realistic to think we'd bring him in? It doesn't seem likely at all, but what the hell else are we gonna do with all that cash?

Rob Demovsky: Andy- At least you're looking at this reasonable. Can't say the same for many fans. At some point, Thompson's plan is going to have bear fruit. Signing Arrington could work out, but there's also a chance it could blow up in Thompson's face. He was a problem last year in Washington.

steve, mansfield,tx.: rob:do you take vernon davis over aj hawk if mario willams is gone. vernon could cause big match up problems. your thoughts please. thank you.

Rob Demovsky: Steve- I think I'd have a hard time taking a tight end at No. 5, but I'm not saying you shouldn't. If Williams is gone, I'd probably do my best to trade down, but that's just me.

Fred, Ellsworth: Hi Rob....I was wondering if Brett is "in training" while he is deciding what to do. The Pack will be minus 1 year in the rebuilding mode if he stays...Your thoughts......

Rob Demovsky: Fred- From what I've heard, he's still doing the core workouts he did last year but he's doing them on his own and not with the personal trainer he worked with last offseason.

Clem, Escanaba, MI: Alright, here they are, Rob, more Favre trade questions. If there were some kind of trade in the works, what are the teams in need of a QB and who think they can win immediately and big with Favre if they got him? If Favre were this year's Joe Montana, who is KC? Is there some possibility that Ted Thompson is working out some draft day blockbuster trade with Favre and some other current roster player(s)?

Rob Demovsky: Clem- Without pouring through every team's roster, off the top of my head I'd say Oakland and the Jets are two candidates. But this is big-time speculation that he'd ever get traded. It's always possible it could happen, but I'm guessing it's less than a 10-percent chance. Maybe even less than 5 percent.

Mike Holland, Houston, Tx: Rob: Tell me why this wouldn't work: Draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson and put him at LT, move Chad Clifton over to LG, let the 2 young bucks (White and Wells) fight it out for the center position, put Barry at RT and mobe Tauscher over to RG. Seems like that would fix the O Line, but no one is talking about that - so I figure something with this theory is amiss. Can you enlighten me? Thanks,

Rob Demovsky: Mike- I dont know if Clifton is agile enough to play guard.

Bill Hargraves, Page, Arizona: Hi Rob I find it very interesting to see what people are saying about the Packers. Sherman was a bad coach? His record speaks for itself. When TT took away Mike Wahle, and all the injuries, a bad season was inevitable. Not resigning Wahle was a major mistake for TT. But whether or not that means he will be a bad GM is not conclusive. Let's face it to just spend $20,000,000 because you have it seems ludicrous. I think hiring his own man to be head coach was inevitable. Let's move forward. Although I think Favre was one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game, again let's move forward. Even with Favre a winning season seems iffy at best. Drafting a quarterback with the first round pick if Williams isn't avaible is not all bad. Living in PAC 10 country though, I watched Rodgers play in College, and he is an awesome talent. But given how quaterbacks come and go, even first rounders, it might not be a bad idea to have two. If we can get Ashley L. for Walker and maybe a 3rd round pick I say go for it. Get rid of the rotten apple. Back to TT as GM we problably won't know for 4 or 5 years if he is really good. He has done some good stuff but letting Wahle go was a mistake. If he can get Williams in the draft and a couple of good guards we may be okay. But probably not this year. Thanks for listening Rob. Let me know what you think about the above?

Rob Demovsky: Bill- I think you answered your own question about Sherman. He wasn't Ted Thompson's guy. Also, you could argue that Sherman botched his best chance to get the Packers to a Super Bowl in that Philly playoff game. As for Wahle, I'm not sure the bigger mistake was not finding a better replacement. That's a lot of money to pay a guard. In this day and age, GMs might not get 4 or 5 years to put together a winner.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Thanks for taking this question, Mr. Demovsky. Any idea how soon a deal with Arrington will get done? Would the Packers just need to offer him a better deal than other teams, or is he looking for something more? Also, any news with Woodson? Thanks.

Rob Demovsky: Nik- If I'm Arrington, I'd like to get something done before the draft because after the draft there's likely to be fewer teams interested because they will have filled holes. However, if the Packers want to roll the dice and wait until after the draft, they could get Arrington for a lower price. Sounds like Woodson has to decide between Green Bay and Tampa Bay, but it's unclear what the offers are.

Frank Miller, Cudahy WI: Rob: What is worse for an organization in the long term, keeping a disgruntled player who vows to never step on the field again or trading him at a point where he has little value? Seems like 2 bad options.

Rob Demovsky: It's a true dilemma, Frank.

Dean, Marrietta, GA: Rob, You say you can't see taking a TE at 5? I ask you this, have you ever seen a TE with the speed of Davis in the draft at his position? I don't know about you, but I have visions of 50 yard td's to Davis up the seam all year long. With all the defenses that we face a year that play cover 2, Davis would be the perfect weapon to not only creat mismatches in the passing game but his presence alone would help free up some room in the running game by keeping teams from bringinf the 8th man up in the box. When is the last time we had a TE that put fear in defenses? Let me tell ya about Keith Jackson!

Rob Demovsky: Dean- I haven't studied Davis that closely. That's the job of my co-worker, Pete Dougherty. He's been talking to scouts and personnel people the last several weeks and will begin his position by position series later this week. I've been covering all the non-draft news, and I can't wait to start reading Pete's stories. It serves as an excellent guide to the draft. I'm curious to see if the people Pete has talked to think as highly as Davis as you do.

Sam, Dallas, Texas: Rob, I think the Favre and Walker issues are getting a little tiresome, although I hesitate to mention them in the same sentence. Favre, of course, is an all time great Packer who unfortunately spent the second half of his career being non-coached by Sherman, whereas Walker only had one great year. In any event, Thompson and the Packer organization are handling these situations correctly in that they are building the team on the assumption that neither will be playing. Certainly Favre will play for at most another year or two and arguably the Packers would be better off if he did retire because it is unrealistic to see them as a serious playoff team(even in today's up and down NFL) until at least 2007. Thompson was hired to replenish the Sherman deleted roster and that is what he began with last year's draft. There is not enough talent in free agency(Reggie White's are few) and history has shown that the foundation of championship teams are built through the draft. The greatest concern for Packer fans should not be whether Favre or Walker play, but whether Thompson can put strong drafts together in 2006 and 2007. Maybe I am engaged in wishful thinking, but I draw comfort from Thompson's 2005 draft and his Seattle drafts. Do you think I am off base? Thanks.

Rob Demovsky: Without a capable quarterback and a game-changing receiver, the Packers might win two games.

Eric , Buffalo NY: Enough about the 1st round. I think people are forgetting that the Pack pick #4 in the second as well (36 overall). They could get an impact player there as well. Who do you see them taking there? Running back (White), DT, LB (Greenway)? There will also be other really good tight ends there as well.

Rob Demovsky: Eric- If I knew who the first 35 players drafted were going to be, I might be able to make a guess. But I don't so it's not even worth guessing.

Bob Anderson, Ridge Manor,FL: Two great articles in the Press Gaz today..Woods on Javon Walker really makes lots of sense.....Hav's article on V. Davis also points out our need for the offense...Hope T.T. is reading the Press Gazette...

Rob Demovsky: I'm sure Ted reads all the papers, and then goes about his daily duties without giving the stories a second thought.

Larry, Ashland: Rob, Taking a half-full approach, last year we were in all but one game. Dispite all of the injuries and some not so good game plans, it would not have been a stretch to have been 9-7 or 8-8. The young defense should be better (no worse). The return of some injured players and a solid draft should also make the offense better. And a new coaching staff has to be better than what we had. Your thoughts.

Rob Demovsky: Larry- That glass you're looking at must be completely full. Almost all NFL games are competitive. That's the nature of the league. Face it, the Packers were a bad team last year.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: Rob, if Brett is going to play this upcoming season won't he have to be at the may mini camps?

Rob Demovsky: Kimberly- Considering they have a new coach, I'm sure they'd like him there so that he can get a head start on learning McCarthy's system. But I'm pretty sure they'd be willing wait until just before training camp for Favre's decision if they had to. I wouldn't be ideal, but it might be possible.

Mike, Phoenix: Hi Rob. I think you're right, that Favre, like anybody else, has the right to decide when they want to retire. I guess my feeling though is that what good does it do the Packers for Favre to come back for one more year? He was terrible last year, the Packers are rebuilding, so why not get on with it? Favre or no Favre, I don't think the Packers are going anywhwere this year. I think the Packers should give Rogers the opportunity to play, learn, develop and improve, or flop. If he flops, it's back to the drawing board, but better find out sooner rather than later.

Rob Demovsky: Mike- If the Packers want to win more than two games, I'd be better if Favre comes back. Obviously, at some point they need to find out if Rodgers can play, but there will be time for that. As long as they think Favre is the better player, aren't they better off with him than without him?

Dale, Cary, North Carolina: Thanks for taking my question/s today. I hope you and yours had a great holiday weekend. My question/s are ones that might have been asked several times, but I am not sure that anyone has really provided any insight into the whys of them, your insight here would be appreciated First, why are the Packers allowing Favre (yes I know how great he has been) to give the appearance that he is running the show? I think that sets a bad precedent. Second, is there any truth to the rumor that the Packers are trading Javon Walker to Denver for a draft pick and WR Ashley Lelie (which I think would be a good deal for us)? Thirdly, is there any truth to the rumor that the Packers are trading down in the first round (something they should consider)? Lastly, Ted Thompson said the Packers are not done signing players (that is good since he has done next to nothing thus far) what is the hold-up with him making a move? Any info you can provide would be appreciated as always. Thanks for the time and insight. Have a good rest of the week.

Rob Demovsky: Dale- I don't think Favre is running the show. He's just trying to decide whether or not to retire. That should be his decision, shouldn't it? I don't know that the Denver talk is any more than a rumor. As I said earlier, I could see Ted Thompson trading down if the guy he wants isn't there, but as Ron Wolf used to say, "It takes two to tango."

Frank Miller, Cudahy WI: Rob I know it is hard to answer questions before anyone has even had shorts on, but how do the O linemen we have under contract fit with this new scheme? It seems like Barry and Whittacker may be to big and slow.

Rob Demovsky: Frank- Jeff Jagodzinski, the offensive coordinator hired to employ the zone blocking scheme, told me he wants every one of those linemen to slim down and become more agile. If Barry and Whitticker do that, they've got a chance to play and be successful, but it's something of a science project at this point.

Eric, Buffalo NY: Rob - trying to figure out your point here. It's going to be better enduring a 6-10 season with Favre than a 2-14 season with Rodgers? What do we get other than a lower draft pick next year? You really think the Pack wins 2 games with Rodgers?

Rob Demovsky: Eric- I always thought you played to win, so I guess six wins is better than two. I never liked losing in anything I played so I guess if you asked me if I wanted to lose 10 times or 14, I'd take the 10. I might be stretching it to say they'd only win two games with Rodgers, but I was trying to make a point.

Michael Young, : Favre's PT obviously overtrained him in the off season last year is that why Favre fired him this year?

Rob Demovsky: Michael- Obviously? I don't know if you can say that. It was my understanding that Favre hired the guy as a one-time thing and that Favre still is doing some of the same exercises now.

Eric, Buffalo NY: ANyone who thinks Ashley Lelie is any kind of answer at WR for Walker obviously doesn't watch much football where the teams don't wear Green and Gold. Get DirecTV and you'll see this guy is an extremely average receiver (borderline bust 1st round pick).

Rob Demovsky: Eric- Well said. A good friend of mine covers the Broncos and sees Lelie every day. He's not a scout but I trust his opinion and he says the same thing.

RedDevil66, Ogden, Utah: The Packers still have a lot of money under the salary cap and, if Favre retires, my understanding is they will have even more. Are they in danger of not having enough money committed for 06 to meet the MINIMUM salary spending requirements?

Rob Demovsky: RedDevil- There is a minimum amount teams must use, but they could always work out extension with current players. They'll find a way to use it, don't worry.

Curt, Rice Lake, WI: Hey Rob, I think T.T. knows if Favres coming back but they dont want anybody else to know for draft reasons. What do you think?

Rob Demovsky: Curt- I suppose that's possible, but I think it's unlikely. Too many people probably would know and the news would somehow get out, I have to believe.

Dean, Marietta,GA: Not sure this is a question as much as it is some insight to the upcoming season. Jags inherited an awful offensive line when he was in the ATL and with the change of the blocking scheme and some coaching, he turned a very average if not below average group in Atlanta into a group that helped the Falcons lead the league in rushing. I know what some might say......Alot of the yards were Vick's. That is true but even if you take away his rushing yards they still have a top 10 rushing team. So let's hope the zone blocking scheme the new coaching staff brings in will protect Brett a bit better this season and with the health of our offensive weapons and some draft picks, I don't see why we can't compete for the North. Have you seen our schedule? It is weak!!! We are already a better team on paper now than we were going into last season, and we still have the draft! Have some faith Packer fans! Thompson knows what he is doing. One more thing..... cut Favre some slack. It would be different if he would be missing min camps, but he has an agreement with TT and MM and thats all that should matter. He has earned the right to make a decision. If he is still undecided after the camps start then it becomes an issue, but until then relax.

Rob Demovsky: You get the final word, Dean. Good night everyone.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Rob Demovsky: Andy- At least you're looking at this reasonable. Can't say the same for many fans. At some point, Thompson's plan is going to have bear fruit. Signing Arrington could work out, but there's also a chance it could blow up in Thompson's face. He was a problem last year in Washington.

I just don't see the huge downside. They are in a position to frontload a contract, so it won't kill the future cap. What's the worst that can happen? He can bomb out and the team goes 4-12 again. The plus side is you could get an All-Pro caliber player, get some good vibes for the team again, and show that FAs still want to play in Green Bay.

motife
04-18-2006, 08:42 AM

I just don't see the huge downside. They are in a position to frontload a contract, so it won't kill the future cap. What's the worst that can happen? He can bomb out and the team goes 4-12 again. The plus side is you could get an All-Pro caliber player, get some good vibes for the team again, and show that FAs still want to play in Green Bay.

Hi Harvey,

Especially if they sign him to what has become a product of the recent CBA, a series of one year contracts.

That's all Arrington or Woodson are going to get because of their health questions, are contracts structured so they can be cut without a huge cap penalty next year if it doesn't work out.

Partial
04-18-2006, 12:07 PM
If they can sign him without any risk for a 1-yearish contract, then do it. Pay the man.

oregonpackfan
04-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Someone please enlighten me: Who the heck is Rob Demovsky? Is he a respected sports show host or someone shouting from the stool of the local corner bar?

Oregonpackfan