PDA

View Full Version : General questions for the board

ZachMN
09-19-2006, 06:11 PM
How many Superbowl teams was Ron Wolf responsible for?

How many NFL games did Jamal Reynolds and Cletius Hunt play in after being cut by the Packers?

These are serious questions so anyone who knows where to find this stuff feel free to post away.

red
09-19-2006, 06:30 PM

zero and zero

MacCool606
09-19-2006, 08:06 PM
In Ron Wolf's own words "just a fart in the wind"

ZachMN
09-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Well I know Wolf was in the NFL for a long time; John Madden said he was his "turk" in Oakland. ( for those who don't know its the guy who tells the players who's out aftertraining camp). Other than the Jets GM position where else was he emplyed besides Jets, Packers and Oakland?

Trader91
09-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I believe he was also at Tampa Bay and built the core that was a solid team in the early 80's.

pbmax
09-19-2006, 10:38 PM
I believe he was also at Tampa Bay and built the core that was a solid team in the early 80's.
I don't know if there was a solid Tampa team in the eighties, but Wolf was there before that. He helped draft/acquire the expansion team.

From McGinn in 1991

From 1963 until 1974, Wolf served as Davis' director of player personnel. He helped draft the players that produced winning seasons every year but 1964, when the Raiders were 5-7-2.

In April 1975, Wolf, then 36, was selected by owner Hugh Culverhouse to be vice president of operations for the National Football League expansion franchise at Tampa Bay. Six months later, Wolf collaborated with Culverhouse on the decision to hire John McKay from Southern California as the Buccaneers' first coach.

Tampa Bay lost its first 26 games before winning the final two in 1977. About two months after the season ended, Culverhouse shocked Wolf by firing him.

"I don't remember what he said," Wolf remembered. "But [the firing] is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I was just not prepared for it at all."

McKay Wanted the Credit
In 1979, the Buccaneers finished 10-6 and lost to the Los Angeles Rams 9-0 in the NFC championship game. They also won the division in 1981.

"I'm very proud of what happened there," Wolf said. "In the fourth year of that franchise they were a quarter away from a Super Bowl. He wants to take credit for all that, 'he' being McKay. I know this. Sixteen of the 22 were guys I brought in there."

Wolf was welcomed back by Davis, for whom he continued to work until June 1990, when the New York Jets appointed him director of player personnel. He suffered a heart attack in April of that year, but returned to work within a few weeks and said it wasn't a factor in his move to New York. He declined to specify the personal reasons he mentioned for why he left the Raiders.

"I ran the entire scouting system," Wolf said. "Everybody that went to see a player, I told them to go. Obviously, when you work for Al Davis, you work for Al Davis. But when it comes your time to perform, you're expected to perform.

"He never interfered with you. It was a great job from that standpoint. But I'll tell you something, you had better be ready. You had better know about some guy at Oshkosh and some guy at Miami. And that's what we attempted to do."