PDA

View Full Version : Pay Cuts

Partial
09-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Do players still take paycuts to stay with their teams? I remember the bag'o'donuts did it to stay with the Packers back in the day, and I can think of several other instances back then. However, in the later 90s were when I considered the NFL to be a gentlemen's league, where as I consider it to be pretty gangster and the me, me, me league.

red
09-19-2006, 06:25 PM
no, none that i've heard of. there are players that restructure to get a lower cap number, but they still end up with almost the same amount of money

and then theres john elway, that flamming asshole. remember that super bowl where they beat the pack? elway was such a good guy when he took a massive pay cut so the team could go out and get more talent, terrell davis did it two. the broncos were then able to go out and get all kinds of great talent that lead to the win over the pack.

and they did it by cheating. the broncos gave those two everything they were suppose to get and then some, under the table. the nfl busted them on it a few years back and stripped them of some draft picks, and that was it. they cheated and won a super bowl because of it, and they only lost some picks

assholes

Brando19
09-19-2006, 06:28 PM
I found this on Fox Sports:

Steelers coach Bill Cowher decided to activate newly acquired halfback Najeh Davenport and make Duce Staley inactive for the game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Steelers signed Davenport Sept. 8, the day after their opening victory against Miami and six days after he was released by the Green Bay Packers. Staley had knee surgery in August 2005 and was inactive for 11 regular-season games and did not play in the postseason. He missed six games with a hamstring injury in the second half of the 2004 season after he rushed for 707 yards in the first seven games. Staley, 31, agreed to a $1 million pay cut in March, and will receive a $1.5 million salary this season.

Tony Oday
09-19-2006, 07:35 PM
no, none that i've heard of. there are players that restructure to get a lower cap number, but they still end up with almost the same amount of money

and then theres john elway, that flamming asshole. remember that super bowl where they beat the pack? elway was such a good guy when he took a massive pay cut so the team could go out and get more talent, terrell davis did it two. the broncos were then able to go out and get all kinds of great talent that lead to the win over the pack.

and they did it by cheating. the broncos gave those two everything they were suppose to get and then some, under the table. the nfl busted them on it a few years back and stripped them of some draft picks, and that was it. they cheated and won a super bowl because of it, and they only lost some picks

assholes

yeah they lost a fricken 3rd rounder if i remember right! I say ask favre to take a 'pay cut' like Elway sign Freeny, a stud WR some oline and nate clements at CB.

Guiness
09-19-2006, 08:02 PM

Steelers coach Bill Cowher decided to activate newly acquired halfback Najeh Davenport and make Duce Staley inactive for the game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Steelers signed Davenport Sept. 8, the day after their opening victory against Miami and six days after he was released by the Green Bay Packers. Staley had knee surgery in August 2005 and was inactive for 11 regular-season games and did not play in the postseason. He missed six games with a hamstring injury in the second half of the 2004 season after he rushed for 707 yards in the first seven games. Staley, 31, agreed to a $1 million pay cut in March, and will receive a $1.5 million salary this season.

that's different - he took that pay cut because he would've just been 'cut' if he hadn't. It was essentially a cut for underperforming.

I think what Partial was talking about was players who are playing up to their contract taking less money so the team can go get other players. Paul Kariya did it last year so that his team could sign Teemu Selani, his linemate from a couple years before, that he wanted to play with again.

Partial
09-19-2006, 08:04 PM

that's different - he took that pay cut because he would've just been 'cut' if he hadn't. It was essentially a cut for underperforming.

I think what Partial was talking about was players who are playing up to their contract taking less money so the team can go get other players. Paul Kariya did it last year so that his team could sign Teemu Selani, his linemate from a couple years before, that he wanted to play with again.

are they still ducks? I remember that back in the day

Guiness
09-19-2006, 08:28 PM
are they still ducks? I remember that back in the day

no - they did that two years ago to play for Colorado and win a cup - they were the definite pre-seaso paper champions. Didn't work out

Teemu is back with the Ducks now, and Kariya plays for Nashville.

mission
09-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Do players still take paycuts to stay with their teams? I remember the bag'o'donuts did it to stay with the Packers back in the day, and I can think of several other instances back then. However, in the later 90s were when I considered the NFL to be a gentlemen's league, where as I consider it to be pretty gangster and the me, me, me league.

brett maybe? :?:

Fosco33
09-19-2006, 09:30 PM

brett maybe? :?:

I believe he restructured - twice - not sure if someone can verify or has a better memory...

pbmax
09-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Favre restructured, but he did not give back money.

Richard Seymour signed an extension that could now be viewed as below market, home team discount. But he had to all but threaten a holdout and skip team workouts to get it from the Patriots. Even so, he could have had more on the open market.

And remember Al Harris and Mike McKenzie, both signed early and took discounts for guarantees up front. One then put the screws to the hometown and the other came close.

So it still happens, but can backfire.

Henderson has taken a couple of pay cuts if memory serves

Patler
09-19-2006, 10:34 PM
The last one I can remember is Leroy Butler. Took actual significant pay cuts, not restructures to allow the Packers to resign a couple players. I believe one was Dotson. Then a year or so later, he did it again. His comment was that he had made decent money in his career and it meant more to him to let the Packers keep some of his teammates, and keep the team together.

There aren't a lot of Leroy Butlers.

BTW - Denver lost picks in two successive drafts for their "deals" with Elway and others. I believe both were 3rd round picks. Still not an expensive penalty for a couple Super Bowls.

Rastak
09-19-2006, 10:52 PM
IIRC Sharper was asked to take a big paycut and not a restructure and that's why he balked.

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Of course, players take paycuts. Of course, they take paycuts when the alternative is they get cut and their agent doesn't think they can get a better deal from another team. That's the way it is now. That's the way it's always been.

KYPack
09-20-2006, 07:57 AM
The Elway deal wasn't as altrrustic as it sounds. it was against NFL rules fer one thing.

The other thing was that it was essentially accounting. Elway deferred payment until a future bate. The $ was supposed to be amortized by the rules, but it was done differently.

The big reeason he did it was becase he sold his car dealerships (for 20 nmillion or so) and the deferred $ was better for him tax wise.

I smoke when I think of the Broncos, Niners (and that weasel Policy) Cowboys, & the Steelers, BTW. they should've gotten penalized a lot more than 3rd and 4th round picks. How about 3 years of first rounders and 10 20 million? Something so nobody ever thinks of doing it again.

Patler
09-20-2006, 08:07 AM
The Elway deal wasn't as altrrustic as it sounds. it was against NFL rules fer one thing.

The other thing was that it was essentially accounting. Elway deferred payment until a future bate. The $ was supposed to be amortized by the rules, but it was done differently.

The big reeason he did it was becase he sold his car dealerships (for 20 nmillion or so) and the deferred $ was better for him tax wise.

I smoke when I think of the Broncos, Niners (and that weasel Policy) Cowboys, & the Steelers, BTW. they should've gotten penalized a lot more than 3rd and 4th round picks. How about 3 years of first rounders and 10 20 million? Something so nobody ever thinks of doing it again.

As I recall there was another aspect to Elway's deal in that his football payments were reduced and his payments through another business operation of the owners were increased at the same time. Essentially, they transferred part of his pay from the Bronco's budget to another business they owned, for which Elway did nothing but PR appearances. The NFL ruled that the other business was just picking up the tab for the Broncos.

mmmdk
09-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Broncos should've been punished as hard as the Minnesota Timberwolves - they paid 3 or so, first round picks plus loss of player(s).

GBRulz
09-20-2006, 09:32 AM
If we were a FA or two away from a SB, I have no doubt that Favre would take a pay cut. But why should he now? He's restructered what, 2 times so Sherm could sign players? It's not like he has a base salary of 11 million a year, alot of it is money from a previous contract.

Besides, even with plenty of cap room, TT still hasn't brought in any offensive weapons for Favre, so hell no, i wouldn't take a pay cut

Partial
09-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Of course, players take paycuts. Of course, they take paycuts when the alternative is they get cut and their agent doesn't think they can get a better deal from another team. That's the way it is now. That's the way it's always been.

Nah, you rarely here of a significant homefield discount anymore. It's 'cause the league is filled with gangsters interested in living the rap artist lifestyle. It's pretty outrageous.

Cheesehead Craig
09-20-2006, 09:56 AM
No reason for Favre to take a pay cut. After this season, he'll retire and we'll have his 11M salary to use.

MJZiggy
09-20-2006, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't count on that 11 mil. just yet...

Willard
09-20-2006, 01:10 PM
I heard Reggie Bush took a bit of a paycut at USC so some of the other players there could get a piece of the boosters' booty. :lol:

Guiness
09-20-2006, 02:13 PM
No, he didn't have to. They don't have a salary cap at USC.

red
09-20-2006, 05:09 PM
No, he didn't have to. They don't have a salary cap at USC.

very good point lol