PDA

View Full Version : Volek Fetch's 6th Rounder

Scott Campbell
09-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Didn't we spend a 5th on Ingle Martin? Wouldn't Volek represent a pretty good value at that price?

Partial
09-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Didn't we spend a 5th on Ingle Martin? Wouldn't Volek represent a pretty good value at that price?

god yes. Volek is good enough to win with. I don't get why the Titans didn't like him at all.

MadtownPacker
09-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Why should they show any respect to a player that has shown promise on the field when tossed McNair in the garbage like he was a pile of old socks. Classless and now clueless.

digitaldean
09-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Why should they show any respect to a player that has shown promise on the field when tossed McNair in the garbage like he was a pile of old socks. Classless and now clueless.

Read on either SI's or ESPN's site that signing Collins and trading Volek has caused some dissention in the locker room.

Never understood why Tenn. ditched it's QBs like that.

McNair has to be just laughing his a** off.

KYPack
09-20-2006, 07:45 AM
McNair and Brett have been my two favorite QB's over the last 12 years. Two tough Missiissippi dudes.

Steve is laughing his ass off right now.

He's in Baltimore, handing the ball to jamal Lewis and watching that sick D work.

He might get back to the big dance.

Damn, that AFC North is tough.

Patler
09-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Teams have soured on Volek the last two seasons, for some reason.

In 2004 Volek was one of the hot commodities in free agency. The Packers had him targeted, brought him in and made a pitch to him, as did many other teams. Tennessee gave him over $2 million in a signing bonus to return as McNair's backup. (The Packers subsequently signed Couch.) It was widely assumed that he was Tennessee's backup plan for 2006 if they couldn't renegotiate McNair's deal and had to release him because of his insane roster bonus that was due this year.

To dump Volek like this now, and to not be able to get more than a 6th is a bit surprising. Just two years ago he was thought to be a strong candidate to be a starter for someone.

mission
09-20-2006, 08:36 AM
i think the biggest problem with volek is his attitude. when they brought collins in to compete for the job, volek made it public that he was unhappy with the move and basically gave up on the team and working at keeping his spot. volek has done nothing to warrant an attitude that says he should not be competed against for a starting spot. anyone that soft is not going to get much respect from his teammates and front office.

come on, this is a man's sport where it all comes down to competition and tenacity. your quarterback is (hopefully) going to personify that.

volek doesn't. he's a bum.

SkinBasket
09-20-2006, 09:12 AM
come on, this is a man's sport where it all comes down to competition and tenacity. your quarterback is (hopefully) going to personify that.

You mean competition and tenacity like Collin's 1.3 QB rating? I think you've got your bum assesment switched around.

I don't mind Volek complaining. I'm sure when he signed his contract he was told he was the number 2 guy and the future of the team. He didn't do anything to diminish himself, yet they draft Young and then bring in an old shambler to start. It's not like they're in a position to compete for a playoff berth and they brought in a vet QB who could improve the team. They brought in an old douchebag to keep the QB spot warm for Vince's midseason debut. This trade should have been made in the week after the signing of Collins so that it didn't become an issue.

mission
09-20-2006, 09:18 AM

You mean competition and tenacity like Collin's 1.3 QB rating? I think you've got your bum assesment switched around.

I don't mind Volek complaining. I'm sure when he signed his contract he was told he was the number 2 guy and the future of the team. He didn't do anything to diminish himself, yet they draft Young and then bring in an old shambler to start. It's not like they're in a position to compete for a playoff berth and they brought in a vet QB who could improve the team. They brought in an old douchebag to keep the QB spot warm for Vince's midseason debut. This trade should have been made in the week after the signing of Collins so that it didn't become an issue.

nothing is switched, brother. they're both bums.

and dont be so sure about that... guarantees of that kind are never made to second tier players. everyone has to earn everything.

"you're the number 2 guy and future of our team"

i dont see it. the best guy plays, the best guy starts and he was basically handed the starting position after mcnair was shipped out. then they sign collins (who is HORRIBLE) to come in and provide a little veteren leadership and a little fire during practice (who was their third string, who was going to be their backup if vince couldnt grasp it in the first few weeks?) and before they even had ONE practice, volek was public about wanting to get traded.

hahaha are you kidding? over bringing in a washed up quarterback who has never done anything? give me a break... they didnt even practice yet, it's not like collins took all the snaps that day and volek sat there with his thumb up his ass. he was still the #1 guy and basically told everyone in that organization that he wasn't going to fight to keep HIS job.

that's not leadership no matter what you think of my opinion of him.