b bulldog
09-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Things are pretty low in titletown

The Leaper
09-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a moneymaker to me.

Packnut
09-19-2006, 10:17 PM
The Packer teams that were much better than this one struggled in Detroit so this spread is not surprising. The only thing I care about in this game is our pass D. If a terrible QB like Kitna torches us, then all this talk about how we'll improve as the season wears on is nothing but BS.

esoxx
09-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Not too surprising. Pack usually struggles at the Dome against the Lions. Look at recent history. Even the '03 team that should have went to the NFC Championship game got their lunch handed to them by the Lions that season. Favre has always struggled for the most part on the road against the Lions too.

I don't like this matchup for us at all. They have a stout front and held the Seahawks to nine points in the home opener. I see a low scoring snooze-fest.

Bretsky
09-19-2006, 10:19 PM
YES, I would think this would be one to lay your money on considering the spread. Packers will prolly lose, but the game should be close

BF4MVP
09-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Packers will prolly lose
Bahhhhhhh

C'mon B

It's the LIONS!

Plus, it's like Madden says...

"When you have Brett Favre, you always have a chance."

BF4MVP
09-19-2006, 10:23 PM
http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net/images/homer_doh.png
ahahahahahaha

nice

Bretsky
09-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Packers will prolly lose
Bahhhhhhh

C'mon B

It's the LIONS!

Plus, it's like Madden says...

"When you have Brett Favre, you always have a chance."

The Lions interior DL will be visiting Brett often Sunday; that is why they are the odds on favorites. We don't have five starters to put on the field.

Fosco33
09-19-2006, 10:43 PM
So, round it up and take away the HVA and you spot Detroit 4 points - enough to keep betters happy and try to go 50/50 on the money. This is the only time I hate Vegas :lol:

I'm so pissed at my company's pool - previously we just went heads up but this year we use these stupid spreads. Teams don't play to beat the spread - they play to win. Now, if Detroit is up 4 points going late in the game, they may try to go for a FG (and beat the spread) but they'll focus more on ball control and running out the clock.

If we keep 'flying under the radar' - we may just crash into the ground....

Joemailman
09-19-2006, 10:50 PM
The Packer teams that were much better than this one struggled in Detroit so this spread is not surprising. The only thing I care about in this game is our pass D. If a terrible QB like Kitna torches us, then all this talk about how we'll improve as the season wears on is nothing but BS.

Agreed. If the Lions have a big passing game, prospects for this year will look very bad. 220 of New Orleans' yards on Sunday occurred on 7 plays. If the Packers secondary can stop the big plays, Packers have an excellent shot at a win.

GrnBay007
09-19-2006, 11:03 PM
So, round it up and take away the HVA and you spot Detroit 4 points - enough to keep betters happy and try to go 50/50 on the money. This is the only time I hate Vegas :lol:

I'm so pissed at my company's pool - previously we just went heads up but this year we use these stupid spreads.

So watch the spread to see if it moves....if it moves vegas wants bets the other way....which gives a little signal. There is a huge contest at Hilton in Vegas each year that goes by the line ...big bucks to get in. The picks are posted online but not till either Fri night or Sat. ...probably too late for your work pool.

Fosco33
09-19-2006, 11:31 PM

I'm so pissed at my company's pool - previously we just went heads up but this year we use these stupid spreads.

So watch the spread to see if it moves....if it moves vegas wants bets the other way....which gives a little signal. There is a huge contest at Hilton in Vegas each year that goes by the line ...big bucks to get in. The picks are posted online but not till either Fri night or Sat. ...probably too late for your work pool.

Interesting - I'll have to check that out. Picks aren't due til 5 min before the start of the 1st game so I've got plenty of time.

Thanks for the tip - hopefully it pays off one of these weeks. I always do well in pick 'em but am unproven in the spread picks...

GrnBay007
09-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Fosco --

Sent you a PM with the link to that site. Good luck!

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Packers will prolly lose

I don't get prolly as an abbreviation for probably. It sounds silly, and it only saves two characters. Is it really that tough to type the entire word.

GrnBay007
09-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Packers will prolly lose

I don't get prolly as an abbreviation for probably. It sounds silly, and it only saves two characters. Is it really that tough to type the entire word.

It's the "hip" way of talking these days Harv!!

....You know.......like calling your friend a "bitch"......LOL :razz:

mmmdk
09-20-2006, 12:56 AM

Agreed. If the Lions have a big passing game, prospects for this year will look very bad. 220 of New Orleans' yards on Sunday occurred on 7 plays. If the Packers secondary can stop the big plays, Packers have an excellent shot at a win.

220 yards through the air on 7 plays - that's ugly. Kitna ain't bad. It's not a good matchup for the Pack - the Detroit front 7 will eat our O-line and TEs alive. Gotta find a way to win anyway - look for Favre as always.

Bretsky
09-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Packers will prolly lose

Sounds like HW was prolly a bit winy be4 hitin da sak :wink:

Scott Campbell
09-20-2006, 05:59 AM
The game is indoors on turf, and that's been a struggle for years regardless of who were playing.

mmmdk
09-20-2006, 06:16 AM
Not trying to bring HC McCarthy down but as a SF OC, McCarthy/49ers offense had 77 three & outs last season plus the TEs had only 20 catches combined all season. Damn, that's bad. The 49er QBs were awful last year though.

Fritz
09-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Packers will prolly lose

Prolly.

]{ilr]3
09-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Not too surprising. Pack usually struggles at the Dome against the Lions. Look at recent history. Even the '03 team that should have went to the NFC Championship game got their lunch handed to them by the Lions that season. Favre has always struggled for the most part on the road against the Lions too.

I don't like this matchup for us at all. They have a stout front and held the Seahawks to nine points in the home opener. I see a low scoring snooze-fest.

I think that was one of there Turkey Day specials though. Basically there Super Bowl so they tend to actually play the game :crazy:

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 06:49 AM
The Pack are probably the better team, but we just can't win in Ford Field. It's like how the Brewers can't win in PNC Park, even though the Pirates are a bad team.

Fritz
09-20-2006, 06:49 AM
The whole point spread thing is so misleading. Geez...6.5 points....sounds like a huge spread, ohmygod what do they think of the Pack, then?

But consider this scenario: It's a tight game, the whole way. Back and forth. Game gets down to two minutes or so, Ahman Green fumbles as Green Bay crosses the fifty. A linebacker picks it up, runs it back until he's caught at the Green Bay forty. Lions run two plays, and on third down, Ahmad Carroll gets called for a phantom hold, just because the refs know his reputation, and on second and goal from the one, Kevin Jones plunges in. Game over, Lions cover the spread.

In that scenario, or a couple dozen you could dream up, the Lions could cover the spread in a game that is intensely close. Conversely, the Pack could be down by 21 going into the fourth quarter, getting blown out, and the Lions' prevent defense gives up seventeen points. End result, Lions win by four, Pack covers the spread though they basically played like crap.

Point spreads are crazy. I don't bet them, and they don't always tell much about how good a team is. Heck, in the Packers' Super Bowl year, they only covered the spread about half the time - exactly what the oddsmakers wanted.

jack's smirking revenge
09-20-2006, 10:13 AM

I echo these thoughts fully. There are many reasons not to be surprised by the prognostication. We don't play well on turf, much less against Detriot at thome.

tyler

wist43
09-20-2006, 11:49 AM

Smart money goes on Detroit...

Fosco33
09-20-2006, 12:35 PM
The game is indoors on turf, and that's been a struggle for years regardless of who were playing.

Except for the one game that mattered... in the Superbowl :mrgreen:

Astonishment
09-20-2006, 12:49 PM
The thing that really suprises me about this spread is how poor the Lions have been. I would have thought it would be a 3-4 point spread in the Lion's favor because of thier poor start. IMO their offense has been worse than the Packers. In the end it really shows more about the perception of the two teams than anything else.

chewy-bacca
09-20-2006, 04:13 PM

esoxx
09-20-2006, 06:03 PM
{ilr]3]

I think that was one of there Turkey Day specials though. Basically there Super Bowl so they tend to actually play the game :crazy:

Yes it was on Turkey Day but the Packers had a lot to play for that day too and got whipped. Also, Detroit isn't unbeatable in Thanksgiving games. They got killed last year. Yeah, it was Indy but the game wasn't even competitive. For some reason, Lions get really up for the Pack at home. Probably b/c they haven't won at Lambeau since '91.

BTW, I see 6.5 as the early line that will be bet up to 7 by game time. I don't see it going down. Oddsmakers see Detroit played Seattle to a stalemate in the home opener, only to lose on a last second FG.

Pack was favored last year but lost by 14.

GBRulz
09-21-2006, 12:09 AM
I have a possible solution.... I need to stop picking the Packers to win in the confidence pool. This week I will pick Detroit and we'll see if we win. If so, then I will be forced to pick against the Packers all year long because of my superstitious ways... and yes, I do avoid stepping on cracks on the sidewalk as well :crazy:

Bretsky
09-21-2006, 12:37 AM
I have a possible solution.... I need to stop picking the Packers to win in the confidence pool. This week I will pick Detroit and we'll see if we win. If so, then I will be forced to pick against the Packers all year long because of my superstitious ways... and yes, I do avoid stepping on cracks on the sidewalk as well :crazy:

Hmm; I've picked Green Bay to lose each week.

Think I should pick them to win ? It is for money, ya know.

Kiwon
09-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Forget the point spread....I predict the Pack will win this week in a close game.

Why, you may ask? No particular reason. Just a gut feeling..... :cool:

run pMc
09-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I couldn't care less about the spread; I want a W for GB!

Beyond that, maybe the spread will motivate the players with an us vs. the world mentality and really come out fast and physical.

Yeah, maybe I'm being too optimistic there. This is a young team on the road, in a dome even. Not good odds. You never know which DET team will show up...they played SEA tough. I should think it would be easier for DET to "get up" for a game against last year's NFC champs (SEA) or division champs (CHI) than a team that went 4-12 last year.

Still, there are matchup problems for both sides in this game. Young teams, new coaching staffs...hmm...I'm expecting lots of mistakes, penalties, and something like a 17-13 game.

esoxx
09-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Line's up to 7 now.

BEARMAN
09-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Kitties win by atleast 17 ! :shock:

GO BEARS !

Partial
09-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Pack 24, Lions 21.

Cullin Jenkins blocks a field goal

FavreChild
09-23-2006, 12:47 AM
You got nothin' better to bitch about than an abbreviation for "probably?" (Harv)

And no, we "prolly" will NOT lose. If you feel otherwise, please expend your energy on the deserving party - the beady-eyed GM, etc.

FavreChild
09-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Hmm; I've picked Green Bay to lose each week.

First of all....not to burst y'all's bubble, but what team you personally pick has no outcome on the game whatsoever.

Secondly, cursed is the man (or woman) who profits from the misfortune of his (her) own team. For shame is he who thinks he helps his team by picking against it. That is a violation of the number-one gambler's code - what the hell is wrong with you people?? :mrgreen:

Terry
09-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Packers will prolly lose

Sounds like HW was prolly a bit winy be4 hitin da sak :wink:

You ever think of writing Shakespeare?

A2 Brutay?
2B or not 2B, dats da kestion.
O, dat dis 2,2 solid flesh wud melt!