PDA

View Full Version : 2007 mock draft

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Seem to be a bit of pessimism floating around. Maybe a mock draft to cheer everybody up?

Scott Campbell
09-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Who's on the clock?

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Who's on the clock?

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/003bf684-9c82-44fa-b8bf-f8ea23f7039d.jpg

Bretsky
09-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Too bad Reggie Bush wasn't coming out next year; I'm not sure there's close to a clear cut #1. I suppose Quinn may be it; especially if the Raiders land the pick.

Wait, Bush wasn't the clear cut #1 I guess this year; well at least one GM didn't think so. I'm still in shock at a team even pondering Mario Williams over Reggie Bush.

B

red
09-20-2006, 05:04 PM
adrian peterson = young ahman green without the fumbles

and this site agrees with me

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 05:17 PM
With this team having a lot of holes, I think that the Pack should trade down. If we get a top ten pick, then I would trade our pick for a middle/late #1 and a 2nd round pick. If we get a top 5, trade that for two #1 picks.

RB is our most prominent need of help and I think this man would be the man to fix that need. He'd be available in the 15-20 area, too.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/john_walters/11/28/the.blitz/t1_irons_si.jpg

Scott Campbell
09-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Bart's not gonna like that pick.

red
09-20-2006, 05:31 PM
michael bush is another one i wouldn't mind, but he won't go until a little later then where we'll be picking

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Bush now has major injury concerns, Calvin Johnson in round one, Michael Bush in round two.

red
09-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Bush now has major injury concerns, Calvin Johnson in round one, Michael Bush in round two.

he broke his leg, its nothing chronic, ans nothing that would really ruin his career

Packnut
09-20-2006, 05:49 PM
NEVER pick A wr #1. We have no choice but to go RB. We're gonna need a TE and another guard. Hell, this team has so many needs that it's down-right pathetic.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2006, 05:50 PM
I'd love to see TT trade down and pick up 2 first. Something like Ginn Jr. (upgrade at CB, part time WR and special teams monster) and a pass rushinig DE or DT. Cole and jenkins are best served as backups.

There is no need to draft and rb that early. History proves you can find very good/great backs in later rounds.

red
09-20-2006, 06:00 PM
I'd love to see TT trade down and pick up 2 first. Something like Ginn Jr. (upgrade at CB, part time WR and special teams monster) and a pass rushinig DE or DT. Cole and jenkins are best served as backups.

There is no need to draft and rb that early. History proves you can find very good/great backs in later rounds.

but those rb's you pick in later rounds have a higher chance of not panning out. the higher you take a RB the better the chance is that they will be the real deal. we crunched a bunch of numbers on this at one time. theres a huge difference between the number of 1st round RB's that make it, and and the % of later round RB's that make it

Packnut
09-20-2006, 06:06 PM

but those rb's you pick in later rounds have a higher chance of not panning out. the higher you take a RB the better the chance is that they will be the real deal. we crunched a bunch of numbers on this at one time. theres a huge difference between the number of 1st round RB's that make it, and and the % of later round RB's that make it

Yep, drafting a RB in the 1st round is a high percentage pick. There are gonna be a few real good ones available. I just don't see Peterson being one of them. His production has fallen off.

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I agree Packnut, I think Peterson could be the next Ki-jonna Carter. I love Kenny Irons though.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2006, 06:22 PM

Later rounds is late first or 2nd and 3rd. And, for every pick inside the top 12 who has been a back, it is 50/50 chance they will be a bust or not live up to the hype.

Looking at the draft: Benson, thomas Jones (took him years to be good), DAYNE, Ricky Williams, Curtis Enis, Lawrence Phillips, Tim Biakabutuka, Ki-jana carter, hearst (blew out a knee), Blair thomas, tim worley, Sammie Smith, BRENT FULLWOOD, Michael haddix, Darrin Nelson, Walter Abercrombie.

It goes on and on.

And, if the line isn't good, what point is there in a drafting a rb high?

Consider that we could get a Portis, Gore, Barber, Jones, Larry Johnson (27th), Westbrook, Jordan, Barlow, Rudi Johnson, Henry, Droughns, Gary, Ahman Green, Pittman, Tiki, Dillon, Duce, Stephen Davis, etc. in round 2-4.

red
09-20-2006, 06:26 PM
but how many dozens of other rb's were taken in that area that didn't make it

the bust chance goes down the higher up you take one. or to put it a better way. you're chances of finding a "special" RB go up the higher you draft one

as for petersons performance dropping off. yes last year, when he was hurt all season

this season he has 90 carries for 515 yards and 4 td's in 3 games. he's projected to gain over 2000, just on the ground

oregonpackfan
09-20-2006, 06:33 PM
I agree Packnut, I think Peterson could be the next Ki-jonna Carter. I love Kenny Irons though.

Ballhawk,

I think Adrian Peterson or Kenny Irons would be a solid #1 pick.

Because I have seen more of Peterson, I would have to go with him. In the recent Oregon-Oklahoma game, the Ducks keyed their defense around him. For the first three quarters they contained Peterson relatively well.

In the fourth quarter, however, Peterson exploded for over 140 yards giving him a total of 214 yards for the game!

I also like the point is that Peterson is known for getting stronger as the game progresses. Almost 2/3 of the yards he has gained come in the second half. That is a very strong attribute for any running back to have.

Because of this trait, Sooners fans call him "AD" for "All Day." The nickname represents the belief that he can run All Day long.

OPF

gbpackfan
09-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Adrian Peterson is ONE HELL OF A RUNNING BACK! If we get a chance to get him, we have to.

Calvin Johnson could be something special.

I would not be against trading down and getting 5 picks in the first three rounds.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2006, 06:38 PM
but how many dozens of other rb's were taken in that area that didn't make it

the bust chance goes down the higher up you take one

as for petersons performance dropping off. yes last year, when he was hurt all season

this season he has 90 carries for 515 yards and 4 td's in 3 games. he's projected to gain over 2000, just on the ground

That isn't the point. In order for that argument to be made you would have to figure out the percentages of ALL players as in regards to top ten picks. It is OBVIOUS that the lower you pick the less chance of greatness. But, it is much less in rbs than other positions.

It is a well established rule in the NFL that you can find backs later in the draft. Qbs, Defensive ends, tackles, cbs are much harder to find.

Don't believe me...go look at the past 5 or so drafts. Until the 2005 draft it had been like 4/5 years since anybody took a rb in the top ten. Last year it was Bush. The three backs drafted later are all playing significant minutes.

More importantly, with our new style of blocking, we need the right type of back. And, based upon Denver and Atlanta, lower than 3.

Partial
09-20-2006, 07:43 PM

Later rounds is late first or 2nd and 3rd. And, for every pick inside the top 12 who has been a back, it is 50/50 chance they will be a bust or not live up to the hype.

Looking at the draft: Benson, thomas Jones (took him years to be good), DAYNE, Ricky Williams, Curtis Enis, Lawrence Phillips, Tim Biakabutuka, Ki-jana carter, hearst (blew out a knee), Blair thomas, tim worley, Sammie Smith, BRENT FULLWOOD, Michael haddix, Darrin Nelson, Walter Abercrombie.

It goes on and on.

And, if the line isn't good, what point is there in a drafting a rb high?

Consider that we could get a Portis, Gore, Barber, Jones, Larry Johnson (27th), Westbrook, Jordan, Barlow, Rudi Johnson, Henry, Droughns, Gary, Ahman Green, Pittman, Tiki, Dillon, Duce, Stephen Davis, etc. in round 2-4.

I'd rather have a Barry Sanders or a LaDanian Thomlinson over any of those and 5 first round picks, though.

Bretsky
09-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I think an argument could be made that how many players are drafted at each position year to year is directly related to the talent level at that position; I don't think certain positions get overvalued and thus end up consistently thrown too high into round one.

You put grades on players; if there is suppose to be an overload of TE's one year they get drafted high. Ditto for the other positions.

I recall 2001 as a WR heavy year. That was the year we drafted the Fraud over Chambers. There were about nine WR's drafted in the first two rounds. Not typical, but it was a strong year for WR's.
This year more TE's were drafted at the top than normal.

If there are five RB's with a first round grade next year then they'll get drafted high.

When I hear you don't need to draft a RB high I think of the Denver mentality. But keep in mind they've had a successful OL for many many years now. Most teams do not have that luxury. We certainly do not.

I'm going off my unreliable memory here, but one valid thing to consider is how many of the starting HB's in the NFL are first round picks now. In looking at them it appears most of the Stud's are first round picks. On a sidenote I have no recollection where some of the missing backs like Rudi Johnson, Tike Barber, and Warrich Dunn were picked. I want to say the latter two were top 2 rounds, but I'm not sure.

Larry Johnson
Shawn Alexander
LaDanion Tomlinson
Stephen Jackson
Julius Jones
Fred Taylor
Willis McGahee
Lawrence Moroney
Corey Dillon
Ronnie Brown
Jamal Lewis
Joseph Addai
Reggie Bush
Duece McCalister
Cadillac Williams

And that's nearly half the starting halfbacks in the NFL

I'd have no problem if TT drafted a stud RB in round one as long as he was the best player on the board at the time of selection.

B

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I like Hart from Michigan. He runs hard, low to ground, very shifty.

Partial
09-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I think an argument could be made that how many players are drafted at each position year to year is directly related to the talent level at that position; I don't think certain positions get overvalued and thus end up consistently thrown too high into round one.

You put grades on players; if there is suppose to be an overload of TE's one year they get drafted high. Ditto for the other positions.

I recall 2001 as a WR heavy year. That was the year we drafted the Fraud over Chambers. There were about nine WR's drafted in the first two rounds. Not typical, but it was a strong year for WR's.

If there are five RB's with a first round grade next year then they'll get drafted high.

When I hear you don't need to draft a RB high I think of the Denver mentality. But keep in mind they've had a successful OL for many many years now. Most teams do not have that luxury. We certainly do not.

I'm going off my unreliable memory here, but one valid thing to consider is how many of the starting HB's in the NFL are first round picks now. In looking at them it appears most of the Stud's are first round picks. On a sidenote I have no recollection where some of the missing backs like Rudi Johnson, Tike Barber, and Warrich Dunn were picked. I want to say the latter two were top 2 rounds, but I'm not sure.

Larry Johnson
Shawn Alexander
LaDanion Tomlinson
Stephen Jackson
Julius Jones
Fred Taylor
Willis McGahee
Lawrence Moroney
Corey Dillon
Ronnie Brown
Jamal Lewis
Joseph Addai
Reggie Bush
Duece McCalister
Cadillac Williams

I'd have no problem if TT drafted a stud RB in round one as long as he was the best player on the board at the time of selection.

B

What if the best player on the board is a weak-side linebacker?

Joemailman
09-20-2006, 08:18 PM
2007 NFL Mock Draft
By: Robert Davis | Updated: 9/12

49ers - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
Frank Gore has some talent, but Peterson is special.

Jets - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
The Jets probably will not pick this high, and could be tempted for Quinn despite taking Clemens in the second last year.

Bills - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
The Bills will be in the hunt for the #1 overall pick, and a QB will be high on their board.

Saints - Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St.
Their never ending search for a stud linebacker has ended.

Packers - Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC
With the trade of Javon Walker, the Pack lack a playmaker at WR.

Browns - Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
A LT is needed, and found.

Titans - Jared Gaither, OT, Maryland
Just a sophomore, but has amazing potential.

Raiders - Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
More bodies are needed on defense, and Adams is the best defender on the board.

Texans - Laron Landry, S, LSU
A playmaker at safety like Landry is a big need for the Texans.

Lions - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
Still in search of a QB to lead the team, the Lions again use a high pick on a QB.

Rams - Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia
Finding a player opposite Leonard Little is still a priority.

Cardinals - Justin Blalock, OL, Texas
The OL must be addressed, and Blalock’s versatility may land him here.

Chiefs - Frank Okam, DT, Texas
Tempted to go for a WR, the Chiefs choose to beef up at DT.

Vikings - Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss
Willis would bring a lot of talent and versatility to the LB corp.

Ravens - Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami
They struck gold with one former Cane safety, so they go back to the well again.

Falcons - Sam Baker, OL, USC
Mike Vick needs more protection up front.

Chargers - Ted Ginn, Jr, WR, Ohio St.
If he continues to develop at WR, he’ll be long gone at this point.

Eagles - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
The top corner on the board at the moment heads to Philly.

Redskins - Brandon Mebane, DT, Cal
The Skins still need to upgrade the DT spot.

Bears - Fred Davis, TE, USC
Many thought the Bears would go TE last year, but this year they can’t pass on the upside of Davis.

Bucs - Levi Brown, OT, Penn St.
An OL upgrade still needs to take place.

Jaguars - Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
Maurice Drew is a nice change of pace back, but he’s not a full time back. If Taylor needs a replacement, the Jags would be ecstatic to see Lynch on the board.

Giants - Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
Arguably the top senior corner in the draft, Hall could be the first CB selected in April.

Dolphins - Michael Griffin, S, Texas
This is shaping up to be a very talented safety class, and the Phins grab the best one available to help their secondary.

Cowboys - Kyle Young, C, Fresno St.
Has the talent to play at guard or center.

Patriots - LaMarr Woodley, LB, Michigan
Woodley could provide a lot of what they lost with Willie McGinest leaving for Cleveland.

Bengals - Zach Miller, TE, Arizona St.
A receiver like Miller over the middle would help open up things even more for the guys on the outside.

Broncos - Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
A lot of moves have been made along the Dline over the past couple years, but a young stud is still needed.

Colts - Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno St.
The Colts hope the constant search for a standout corner ends here.

Panthers - Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio St.
Tough defensive tackle would help clog the run up the middle right away.

Steelers - Michael Bush, RB, Louisville
His season is done after a broken leg, but he should be fine by draft time. His power would be a perfect fit in the offense.

Seahawks - Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame
Darrell Jackson and Nate Burleson are nice, but Samardzija is a huge target that would complete the WR group.

If Clifton continues to struggle, Packers would take Joe Thomas if available.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Why is everyone talking about Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, etc., when were going to pick in the 20's :wink:

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Calvin Johnson, Adrian peterson or Joe Thomas. I think that the chances of Bush slipping into the second round or the late first round are high because of the broken leg he has and if we could snag Johnson and Bush to play along side Rogers,Driver,jennings and our young Oline, the O should be on it's way.

red
09-20-2006, 09:07 PM

its an interesting question. what if Paul Posluszny is staring us right in the face. do we take him and have a freakish group of LBers and switch to the 3-4. Posluszny, hawk, barnett and hodge would be an amazing group

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Bretksy, Rudi Johnson was drafted in the 4th round, (5th pick) Tiki Barber was 2nd round, (6th pick) and Warrick Dunn was 12th overall.

Unless there is there is a RB that is once in a decade, and a really special talent, I think drafting that high is foolish. A back is made by his O-line. I do not consider any back in this year's draft, "unusually talented," I don't even consider A.P. the top RB.

And Yes, Adrian Peterson might be All day, but it doesn't work that way in the NFL. You can't break a 60 TD yard run, kickoff, get the D to force a 3 and out, and then run for another 60 yard TD. In the NFL the defense will get tougher as the game goes on. If you get shut down early, you won't magically go 150 yards+ in the 4th quarter.

I agree with Harlan, that Hart is an intriguing pick, and I wouldn't mind picking him up, I don't know where he would be available, though. If I had a pick in this draft for a RB, I'd go with Irons.

justanotherpackfan
09-20-2006, 09:20 PM
You have to build your team through the line. Joe Thomas would be a nice fit with his mobility and athleticism.

Partial
09-20-2006, 09:23 PM
If Clifton continues to struggle, Packers would take Joe Thomas if available.

God help us! Thomas is NOT NEARLY the same player he was pre-injury. He looked adequate last week, and definitely not the best linemen on the field in my opinion. In fact, they barely ran behind him at all.

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't mind Thomas as an O-lineman, but I'd be cautious with his injury. I think you could also get a very good tackle later down in the first round with Levi Brown out of Penn State.

But if TT picks in the top ten again, please, please, PLEASE, do not draft a Wide Receiver.

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey does anybody else remember the last lineman we took in the top ten?

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/gb/MandarichGB.jpg

digitaldean
09-20-2006, 09:28 PM
I like Hart from Michigan. He runs hard, low to ground, very shifty.

He ran very well vs. Notre Dame. Heck even I could run behind that line.

But Hart would look much better in green and gold than that HIDEOUS maize and blue.

KYPack
09-20-2006, 09:30 PM

Larry Johnson
Shawn Alexander
LaDanion Tomlinson
Stephen Jackson
Julius Jones
Fred Taylor
Willis McGahee
Lawrence Moroney
Corey Dillon
Ronnie Brown
Jamal Lewis
Joseph Addai
Reggie Bush
Duece McCalister
Cadillac Williams

B

Dillon was a 2.

A high 2, but a 2 be sure

CyclonePackFan
09-20-2006, 09:34 PM
As I see it, our needs are as follows:

S, WR, CB, TE, LB, DT, OL, RB

Now, assuming we're drafting top-5...

CB/S - too early for a DB. Majority of 1st round DB's are in 5-10 range. Last time Green Bay spent a top-5 pick on a DB, we got some Turd named Buckley.

WR - My favorite as of now. One of the biggest problems on this team right now is a lack of a passing game. How many drops did we have last week?

TE - Unless there's another Vernon Davis next year (and there won't be), too early

LB - Just need one to replace Poppinga. Still, two LB's in the first round in two years? What are we, the Lions?

DT - Although our defensive front has been...adeuqate, they still could stand some improvement. We're stuck with KGB for the next few years and why would you take Aaron Kampman off the field?

OL - Kind of wary with all the picks we've been using on guards. Still, our tackles have been looking downright horrid.

RB - I'll give a report on Adrian Peterson when I watch him in Norman this year. In any case, the kid's a hell of a RB. Don't think Kenny Irons has earned a top-5 slot. (but the Combine can change everything)

Honestly, if I had to pick right now, I'd take Calvin Johnson. I've heard him called the next Randy Moss (athletically). Honestly, even though Moss is a prick, you have to wonder how many SB rings we would have had if we hadn't taken Vonnie Holliday over Moss back in '98.

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 09:41 PM
I say if we pick a WR, we should go with Dallas Baker out of Florida.

I mean, how can you go wrong with a WR out of Florida? Am I right, fellas?....

http://www.yu4you.com/slike/photo/1348_insekat_buba.jpg

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 09:41 PM
the hideous maize and blue?? :crazy:

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Thomas will not bne 100% until next season

Bretsky
09-20-2006, 09:53 PM
You have to build your team through the line. Joe Thomas would be a nice fit with his mobility and athleticism.

We have Clifton and Tauscher; no need to spend a top 10 pick in a backup

Pack_Attack
09-20-2006, 09:54 PM
the Maize 'n Blue are gonna run over the Badgers this weekend!!!!!

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 09:58 PM
cLIFFY IS NOT THE SAME PLAYER SINCE THE sAPP thing and his best days are behind him. If Thomas gets back to form, he would be worth the pick if Peterson or Johnson were gone when the Packers pick which they both won't be.

Tyrone Bigguns

Larry Johnson
Shawn Alexander
LaDanion Tomlinson
Stephen Jackson
Julius Jones
Fred Taylor
Willis McGahee
Lawrence Moroney
Corey Dillon
Ronnie Brown
Jamal Lewis
Joseph Addai
Reggie Bush
Duece McCalister
Cadillac Williams

B

I didn't say first round. I said top 10. My point is that late first round or 2/3 round backs turn out great. Check my list.

LJ was the 27th pick. Alexander was 19th. Jackson was 24th. Jones was a second rounder. Magahee was 23rd. Maroney was 21. Addai was 30th. Dillon was a second rounder. Deuce was 23rd.

I think you have made my point for me. We could easily trade a top 3 pick for a 8-12 first and a lower pick that gets us a good/great back.

BallHawk

Oh Man, if Stocco and Hill and the whole Badgers team could come away with a win, that would make me smile, non-stop for a week.

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 10:00 PM
hopefully if we are bad enough to get a top 5 pick, we will be bad enough to get the first overall so we could trade it to either Oakland or the Jets and still pick Peterson or Johnson.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2006, 10:02 PM

It is pretty obvious that at this juncture Clifton is not a cut blocking type of lineman. Can he get better is the question.

We could definitely trade him and get good value for him. We could also draft Thomas and move Tauscher to the inside if Cliffy is working out. That would solidify the line. Assumption made that Thomas works as a cut blocking lineman as well, but he is plenty athletic.

Partial
09-20-2006, 10:03 PM

Larry Johnson
Shawn Alexander
LaDanion Tomlinson
Stephen Jackson
Julius Jones
Fred Taylor
Willis McGahee
Lawrence Moroney
Corey Dillon
Ronnie Brown
Jamal Lewis
Joseph Addai
Reggie Bush
Duece McCalister
Cadillac Williams

B

I didn't say first round. I said top 10. My point is that late first round or 2/3 round backs turn out great. Check my list.

LJ was the 27th pick. Alexander was 19th. Jackson was 24th. Jones was a second rounder. Magahee was 23rd. Maroney was 21. Addai was 30th. Dillon was a second rounder. Deuce was 23rd.

I think you have made my point for me. We could easily trade a top 3 pick for a 8-12 first and a lower pick that gets us a good/great back.

Doesn't it really depend on the year? This year you could get a stud LB in the second. That never happens. It was a deep draft. It is possible some of those gems came from deep drafts? Really, it shouldn't be a position that matters, it should be getting the best player 'cause we all know by the time this ship is turned around whomevever would be in front of the "best player" would probably have moved on anyway. Adrian Peterson gets the hype of the sort of rare college back that is special like Reggie Bush. You didn't hear that sort of shit for Dillion when he led the nation in rushing for the huskies or for Barber when he was third in the nation for virginia I believe. Peterson is a rare prospect fellas...

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I've read where Pete is the best back to come out of college in the last 10 years.

Partial
09-20-2006, 10:05 PM

It is pretty obvious that at this juncture Clifton is not a cut blocking type of lineman. Can he get better is the question.

We could definitely trade him and get good value for him. We could also draft Thomas and move Tauscher to the inside if Cliffy is working out. That would solidify the line. Assumption made that Thomas works as a cut blocking lineman as well, but he is plenty athletic.

Tauscher hasn't looked good either for starters, secondly, aren't you sick of seeing the Packers go into camp with tackles trying to play guard? Two years in a row it hasn't worked out, I am not convinced it ever will.

Partial
09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't be against taking Calvin Johnson. The dude is a freakish athlete.

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
We're getting kind of ahead of ourselves, aren't we. We've still got 14 games left, and even though we probably won't make the playoffs, there's still much to be decided. Contracts, injuries, progression of players, etc. All things that we need to see play out.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2006, 10:09 PM

Tauscher hasn't looked good either for starters, secondly, aren't you sick of seeing the Packers go into camp with tackles trying to play guard? Two years in a row it hasn't worked out, I am not convinced it ever will.

Tauscher has been good, penalties not withstanding. There is gonna be some period of adjustment. And, since the line relies on cohesiveness and playing together, I believe some of his problems are a result of trying to compensate for 2 rookies and a second year player.

I feel your pain on the line, but Tauscher isn't some street free agent or low pick. He definitely can play.

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Hopefully some much needed moves in UFA. I'm now driving the Calvin Johnson bus and I am also reserving a seat on the Adrian Peterson bus. Lawrence Jackson and Joe Thomas will be the next bus tickets I may want to get. These are my big 4 in next years draft.

Partial
09-20-2006, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOuHzq-cz3s

Calvin Johnson highlight reel -

He makes spectacular, acrobatic catches with a god awful quarterback. He is one of the few college receivers with the ability to contort his body (better than Javon) at catching the jump ball, and he doesn't appear at all afraid to go into traffic.

The negatives -
very little runs after the catch
seems to fall down a lot
Doesn't appear to be too strong

Those are three pretty big negatives in my book. The WCO is all about running after the catch and being able to shed tackles. I am not sure he will ever get stronger. If only he was 30 pounds heavier, he would be an all-world tight end with his height and broad shoulders. Unfortunately, despite the broad shoulders, he isn't filled out well, either. He is leaps and bounds better than Teddy Ginn, imo.

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Thomas only if he is at 100%

b bulldog
09-20-2006, 10:14 PM
I also like Landry and Meriweather if we would trade down. This is a very good S class and we do need anothwer competent S.

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't like drafting a WR high in the draft. Look, we got Greg Jennings in the mid 2nd round, and he looks to be one of the most promising WR from the draft. Donald Driver is 7th round. I don't buy into Johnson. He shows a great performance against Notre Dame, but then he plays a cupcake, in Troy, and he catches 2 passes for 9 yards.

Partial
09-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I don't like drafting a WR high in the draft. Look, we got Greg Jennings in the mid 2nd round, and he looks to be one of the most promising WR from the draft. Donald Driver is 7th round. I don't buy into Johnson. He shows a great performance against Notre Dame, but then he plays a cupcake, in Troy, and he catches 2 passes for 9 yards.

You must really watch a lot of college football. Cupcake is a good word, he does appear to play soft. While he's not afraid to go over the middle he doesn't ever fight for anything extra after an amazing grab.

Packnut
09-20-2006, 10:27 PM

His preformance against a very tough LSU defense was impressive to say the least. I'd be very happy to see him in green and gold.

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2006, 10:31 PM

At this point Ted Ginn Jr is strictly a wide receiver, and a he is bar none the best athlete in the 2007 draft, thats if he comes out.

BallHawk
09-20-2006, 10:37 PM
You must really watch a lot of college football. Cupcake is a good word, he does appear to play soft. While he's not afraid to go over the middle he doesn't ever fight for anything extra after an amazing grab.

The cupcake was referring to their GT's opponent in Troy.

Partial
09-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Ted Ginn Highlight reel. Fuck, he looks outrageously fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg

wow! I haven't seen too much of ginn, but that footage makes him look as good as reggie bush if not better. Tell me again, why is he not looked at in the same light and as the same type of player?

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey does anybody else remember the last lineman we took in the top ten?

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/gb/MandarichGB.jpg

According to you, you weren't even born when the Packers took Mandrich. Mandrich was a bust considering who else was in that draft, but he was just a monster in college and trust me if the Packers would have past on him for Barry Sanders, the next team after the Packers would have been thrilled to get Mandrich. Things didn't work out, and maybe the fact that Mandrich was taking more roids then Barry Bonds could have even dreamed about should have warned teams like the Packers, but oh well.

Mandrich was 6-6 310 pounds with 8% body fat. Even kids today are not built like that, he was a freak with a drug habbit.

Joe Thomas is going to be just fine. I wouldn't waste a top ten pick on any linemen, maybe a lower 15 pick, and if that were the case I would take a hard look at Blaylock from Texas. He is a huge mamouth of a blocker but he can really move, plus he plays tackle and guard.

Calvin Johnson is a great athlete but I just haven't seen it consistently. I betcha he wishes he went to Georgia instead of Tech, but oh well.

Adrian Peterson has taken a beating in the last three years, and has already had at least one surgery on his shoulder, and I believe his ankles have given him problems already.

The bottom line, Darren Colledge is my bet for the Packers next offensive left tackle, and I just don't see the point in investing in anymore young offensive linemen with early picks in the draft. If Spitz, Colledge, and Moll don't work out Thompson is out of a job, and the Packers are going to start over from square one.

Partial
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM

The cupcake was referring to their GT's opponent in Troy.

I think he plays like a cupcake when he has to break a tackle. Dominant receivers can break through that stuff.

Partial
09-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Nutzy, why is Teddy Ginn not looked at as returner, scat back, receiver like Reggie Bush? Are they in the same league? I don't see enough OSU games to have any clue.

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Ginn is slight. He's a receiver. Bush is a RB who is good enough to play receiver.

Actually, early on I was convinced that Ginn would make a better corner than receiver. He'll have to go to the right system to have great success. I see him more like a Randle El. He's got outrageous athleticism though.

Partial
09-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Ginn is slight. He's a receiver. Bush is a RB who is good enough to play receiver.

Actually, early on I was convinced that Ginn would make a better corner than receiver. He'll have to go to the right system to have great success. I see him more like a Randle El. He's got outrageous athleticism though.

He looks elusive. at 175 I don't think he'll be big enough, though. He would be deadly on the end-around with that speed, damn.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2006, 11:24 PM

At this point Ted Ginn Jr is strictly a wide receiver, and a he is bar none the best athlete in the 2007 draft, thats if he comes out.

That is because OSU needs him there. He arrived as a DB. They did the same thing with Gamble. I don't think Ginn would have a problem if we put him at all 3 positions. Everything I've read about him and his father suggests a good kid who is a team player.

But, i'd definitely take him as a WR and return specialist. By far the best athlete out there. He has Olympic speed, timed at 10.5 for the 100. That is smoking.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2006, 12:02 AM

no shit, Sherlock.

J-Rok
09-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Sure, you could say I only like this guy because the schools a half hour away, but oh well.

GARRETT WOLFE WOO

Bretsky
09-21-2006, 12:31 AM
We're getting kind of ahead of ourselves, aren't we. We've still got 14 games left, and even though we probably won't make the playoffs, there's still much to be decided. Contracts, injuries, progression of players, etc. All things that we need to see play out.

Just trying to shift the focus away from how crappy we are right now :)

Guiness
09-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Well put Nutz.

Something else I remember - correct me if I'm out to lunch...

Mandarich was actually ranked the #1 player coming out that year, but everyone knew that Dallas needed a QB and was going to take Aikman. It was widely felt that the Pack was lucky to have TM fall to them.

mission
09-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Did anyone watch the USC game on Saturday? No one (except that mock draft guy apparently) is talking about taking Jarrett? The guy is an absolute beast. Can make a catch in any amount of traffic, runs great routes and has tremendous size/speed. I'd love to have him as a Packer with Driver and Jennings. Yikes.

I know, I know... it's way too early but that's a really exciting thought. He's #1 on my board unless I'm picking in the Top 3. Based on how he's been playing -- and he elects to leave a year early -- he might not even be around after the Top 3.

ahaha
09-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Well put Nutz.

Mandarich was actually ranked the #1 player coming out that year, but everyone knew that Dallas needed a QB and was going to take Aikman. It was widely felt that the Pack was lucky to have TM fall to them.

There was a lot of hullabaloo about the Packers winning their last meaningless game in '88, and therefore, missing out on the chance to get Aikman. Most Packer fans I knew wanted us to lose that game. This was at the end of the Randy Wright era. After that tortured experiment, IMHO, most Packer fans, and the organization, wanted Aikman.

jack's smirking revenge
09-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Well put Nutz.

There was a lot of hullabaloo about the Packers winning their last meaningless game in '88, and therefore, missing out on the chance to get Aikman. Most Packer fans I knew wanted us to lose that game. This was at the end of the Randy Wright era. After that tortured experiment, IMHO, most Packer fans, and the organization, wanted Aikman.

There are definite reasons to tank regular season games for the draft, if your team sucks bad enough... Wasn't Barry Sanders in that draft too?

tyler

Partial
09-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Well put Nutz.

There are definite reasons to tank regular season games for the draft, if your team sucks bad enough... Wasn't Barry Sanders in that draft too?

tyler

Yep, so was deion

ahaha
09-21-2006, 09:43 AM
And Derrick Thomas

run pMc
09-21-2006, 09:56 AM
I actually think our DLine could use an infusion of talent. The DT's are OK, "try-hard" players who make the most of what talent they have. That's fine, but a monster DT or another DE to spell KGB would be good. Plus, the prospects of having to start a backup if KGB or Kampman goes down aren't thrilling.

With the ZBS, no way do you take a OL top 10. I like that TT picked guys in the middle rounds last year; I think he needs to go back and do that again with at least one more OL between rounds 2-5. Definitely a RB in the early to middle rounds. We need a WR, but they take a while to pick up WCO. Another CB, since Woodson and Harris are old, and Carroll isn't a quality long-term starter. Again, better pass rush (hello D line) helps your corners. It sounds like the draft may be deep at safety, so drafting another S in the later rounds might be good if Underwood doesn't recover and Peprah doesn't show up. We may need to upgrade the kicking game (P, K), our TE's are nothing special, we have no FB behind Hendo and who knows what would happen if a good QB was available when GB was on the clock. (Although I'd NEVER draft a FB.)

Hmm...lots of needs. Actually, GB could use an upgrade at MOST positions. Tough to rank them by importance...it's still early in the year; I'd wait for both the pro & college seasons to play out before speculating much on particular players.

I'm almost always in favor of trading down a few spots to get an extra pick, as long as it's just a few spots...I don't like trading out of a round completely. Few good players make it to free agency anymore, so the draft is the way to go.

Didn't football outsiders post some kind of study about player position, what rounds they were drafted in, and how successful they were? IIRC: QB, LT, RB, WR, and DE were all high round picks and S, TE, FB were almost alwys low-round to street free agent level pickups.

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Nutzy, why is Teddy Ginn not looked at as returner, scat back, receiver like Reggie Bush? Are they in the same league? I don't see enough OSU games to have any clue.

If Ginn decided to come out in 2007 he would have to be counted on to make an impact as a returner first, because he is still building his skill set as a receiver, he is not the polished product that Reggie Bush was coming out his junior year. Ginn has gotten better at route running, and he made a catch against Cinncinatti for a touchdown where he ran a crossing pattern at about the 5 yard line where there was a Bearcat that had the angle on him but Ginn just turned on the speed and flat out beat him to the corner. Ginn looked like he was only running at 75%. The thing about this is he knows how to take the quickest route or angle on the football field, his speed is amazing, but in the NFL everyone can run, he simply understands the game of football and is also most natural on the field. He gets all the things that simply track stars or speedsters fail to realize or understand about playing the game of football.

Partial
09-21-2006, 10:39 AM

If Ginn decided to come out in 2007 he would have to be counted on to make an impact as a returner first, because he is still building his skill set as a receiver, he is not the polished product that Reggie Bush was coming out his junior year. Ginn has gotten better at route running, and he made a catch against Cinncinatti for a touchdown where he ran a crossing pattern at about the 5 yard line where there was a Bearcat that had the angle on him but Ginn just turned on the speed and flat out beat him to the corner. Ginn looked like he was only running at 75%. The thing about this is he knows how to take the quickest route or angle on the football field, his speed is amazing, but in the NFL everyone can run, he simply understands the game of football and is also most natural on the field. He gets all the things that simply track stars or speedsters fail to realize or understand about playing the game of football.

You are the Packers organization sitting with the #4-#5 pick in the draft. Ted Ginn is available, and you know quite well you're not going to be a competitive team for a year or two, but you may have the chance to hit the jackpot with this kid. Do you pick him based on potential and use him all over the field until he becomes a better receiver? Does he have the elusiveness to be a big time player instead of just a sprinter?

mission
09-21-2006, 11:04 AM

You are the Packers organization sitting with the #4-#5 pick in the draft. Ted Ginn is available, and you know quite well you're not going to be a competitive team for a year or two, but you may have the chance to hit the jackpot with this kid. Do you pick him based on potential and use him all over the field until he becomes a better receiver? Does he have the elusiveness to be a big time player instead of just a sprinter?

i don't know if that question is for 'anybody' or DN but i definitely wouldn't select him that high if he came out. hell, id much rather have troy smith. i see ginn as being one of those guys that never ends up making a serious impact in the nfl (like most osu wideouts actually). he just seems kind of capped and im not even sure he's the best receiver on his team. gonzalez makes spectacular catch after spectacular catch anywhere on the field and probably would be available in the early second round. scouts and nfl personnel make so many judgements based on speed but there's a lot of gamer that a player needs to have which isn't often measurable.

holmes was significantly better than ginn last year and i think by the end of the year, you'll be hearing a lot more about gonzalez... he's "white" (whatever that means) and could see that hurting him from a PR perspective when draft time comes around. ill probably get flamed for that comment but hrm... flash always gets more pub.

give me jarrett and watch him light it up, baby!

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2006, 11:10 AM

Ted Ginn is a damn good college football player right now, but as of now I wouldn't take him in the top 5. He has 9 more college games left before the end of the season and then he has to make the decision to come out a year early. in those 9 games he has to show that he can consistently get open, run the right route, and run crisp routes. At this point he hasn't proven all those things yet. The other nice thing about Ginn is that he is a winner. He has won at every level he has been at, unlike Calvin Johnson who went to a consistent loser in Georgia Tech instead of proven himself at a school with a better football tradition like Georgia, FSU, LSU, or Auburn.

That said, the Packers still need to look at building a significant pass rush. Their interior is solid as it is ever going to be, but right now they do not have a game changer, a Reggie White, or Bruce Smith at defensive end that can get to the passer when it matters. I like what I see out of Kampman so far every team in the league wishes they had an end like Kampy, but the fact still remains he like everyone else on the line can't get there when it matters.

Partial
09-21-2006, 11:20 AM

Ted Ginn is a damn good college football player right now, but as of now I wouldn't take him in the top 5. He has 9 more college games left before the end of the season and then he has to make the decision to come out a year early. in those 9 games he has to show that he can consistently get open, run the right route, and run crisp routes. At this point he hasn't proven all those things yet. The other nice thing about Ginn is that he is a winner. He has won at every level he has been at, unlike Calvin Johnson who went to a consistent loser in Georgia Tech instead of proven himself at a school with a better football tradition like Georgia, FSU, LSU, or Auburn.

That said, the Packers still need to look at building a significant pass rush. Their interior is solid as it is ever going to be, but right now they do not have a game changer, a Reggie White, or Bruce Smith at defensive end that can get to the passer when it matters. I like what I see out of Kampman so far every team in the league wishes they had an end like Kampy, but the fact still remains he like everyone else on the line can't get there when it matters.

Who is college football is this years Super Mario?

mission
09-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Maybe Quinten Moses, Georgia... he's a bit undersized (has a big frame though 6'5") but very smart / productive.

Moses redshirted in 2002. As a redshirt freshman in 2003, he was a third-string defensive end and played in all 14 games. He was named to the SEC All-Freshman first team by the SEC coaches and The Sporting News. In 2004, as a backup, Moses had 23 total tackles including 6.5 sacks and 7.5 tackles for loss as well as being a member of the 2004 SEC Academic Honor Roll. In 2005, he took over the starting position. He recorded 11.5 sacks and was named a member of the first team All-SEC by the Associated Press and the SEC Coaches, named All-America third team by Rivals.com, and was a member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll. Heading into 2006, Moses was named to the Bednarik Award Watch List, a pre-season All-America first team, All-SEC first team, and SEC Defensive Player of the Year by The Sporting News.

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2006, 11:39 AM
I like Moses, he was a former basketball player in high school, and a very good one at that. He is an athlete, and boy the challenge of making it on the All-SEC academic team must have really been a hard earned accomplishment. I thought they still taught "Hooked on Phonics" in all SEC schools.

Anyways another player from a school of Brilliant minds, Gaines Adams from Clemson is a 6-5 260 pound defensive end. He ended last year on fire, and was projected as a first round draft pick coming out his junior year. I simply do not like Clemson football players so I wouldn't take him in the top ten, but hey, thats just me.

justanotherpackfan
09-21-2006, 04:37 PM

no shit, Sherlock.
P.J Hill is going to run all over Woodley and Michigan's overrated defense.

justanotherpackfan
09-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm going to throw some names out their(Seniors):
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=381
Alley Broussard
Position: RB Number: 22
School: LSU Height: 6'0

This is a player at the running back position that is a tough punishing runner that delivers a blow to defenders
I like his battering rams style he brings to a game, and this runner has deceptive speed for a player of his size, and also posses a good burst to the hole and out of cuts for a man of his stature as well
With a fullback in front of him blocking for him he could become a load for a defense to contain, and has what it takes to become a featured runner to lead a offense down the field, could be a main cog in a strong running attack for any team
He accumulates a countless amount of yards after initial contact from defenders, I am not sure of his pass catching skills, he does not receive many opportunities in that part of his game
He needs to become the featured running back on this team, at this point in his career he is being held back along with his skills
The one running back he reminds me most of is current NFL player "Stephen Davis", he is similar in both running style and stature, if that is the case he has a nice future ahead of him.

Dallas Baker
Position: WR
Number: 81
School: Florida
Height: 6'3
Weight: 205
This is a wide receiver that looks to have superior talent and size for a receiver, with his size that gives him such an advantage over smaller defenders, whether it is for a jump ball or etc

He also posses acrobatic type of body control while in the air, he also has a knack of always having his body positioned to where he has the best chance of making the catch over his defender

He always seems to a impact on the game in one way or the other, this is the year I look for him to have his breakout year, I do want to see more evaluation of this player

justanotherpackfan
09-21-2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=510
LaMarr Woodley
Position: DE
Number: 56
School: Michigan
Height: 6'2
Weight: 268

He is a player at the defensive end position with a good combo of strength and quickness

He is strong as a pass rusher and against the run, but he has such agility and quickness turning the corner bringing pressure off the edge, and with his package of aggression and all out hustle makes for a handful to block one on one

He is stout and strong at the point of attack, and he is effective at shedding blockers at the line of scrimmage with his initial contact hand techniques, he has excellent closing speed in pursuit of the ball, and he is willing to run anywhere on the field to make plays

He has a motor that rarely stops, who if nothing else will defeat his opponent across from him on sheer determination alone, he is also effective at defending runners attempting to go wide on the corners, often funneling those runs back inside toward more defenders

He is definitely an impact type of player on the field, who has the ability to disrupt an offenses attack in multiple ways, by creating pressure on the quarterback off the edge or by shooting gaps and disrupting running lanes of opposing offenses

Though at times he looks susceptible to cut blocks, so he needs to defend against this type of block and keep his feet better, also I am not sure if he will need to gain more weight for the next level at his current position, and will that added weight slow his quickness?

RashanGary
09-21-2006, 05:13 PM
QB and Defense are the 2 things that I can think of as common denominators in SB winning teams. With that being said, we're desperate for a RB so that would be just as good as a defensive player for this team.

Wish list:

Stud Pass rushing DE *Second most important position, can't pass one if you have one there*
Stud RB *Biggest need*
Stud DT *None available but Probowl DT's are priceless*

Whatever else after that.......

I know that you have to take what falls to you and you can't really take a RB when there is a better WR available but if it's possible to get a little lucky like we did last year and fill a position of need and importance then I would be a little more excited I guess.

My hope moving forward is to have a dominate defense. I know we need a RB more than any other position but I would rather have a dominate defense and a crappy offense than a good defense and a good offense. Look at the Bears last year. I'm hoping that a dominate defender falls to us. Even if it's Posluszny...Hell, I wouldn't complain if we had 2 of the best LB's in the league. All I know is if we draft a defender and he's close to as solid as Hawk coming out, I'll be really excited. If we draft and offensive guy, I'll be OK with it becaue I Know you can't control who falls to you but in a perfect world, I'm hoping it's defense. If we're lucky, Moses will show to be a dominate pass rusher and fall to us. YOu never knwo though.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Alley Broussard

This is a player at the running back position that is a tough punishing runner that delivers a blow to defenders
I like his battering rams style he brings to a game, and this runner has deceptive speed for a player of his size, and also posses a good burst to the hole and out of cuts for a man of his stature as well
With a fullback in front of him blocking for him he could become a load for a defense to contain, and has what it takes to become a featured runner to lead a offense down the field, could be a main cog in a strong running attack for any team
He accumulates a countless amount of yards after initial contact from defenders, I am not sure of his pass catching skills, he does not receive many opportunities in that part of his game
He needs to become the featured running back on this team, at this point in his career he is being held back along with his skills
The one running back he reminds me most of is current NFL player "Stephen Davis", he is similar in both running style and stature, if that is the case he has a nice future ahead of him.

Dallas Baker
This is a wide receiver that looks to have superior talent and size for a receiver, with his size that gives him such an advantage over smaller defenders, whether it is for a jump ball or etc

He also posses acrobatic type of body control while in the air, he also has a knack of always having his body positioned to where he has the best chance of making the catch over his defender

He always seems to a impact on the game in one way or the other, this is the year I look for him to have his breakout year, I do want to see more evaluation of this player

There are 2 rules to the draft. One, NEVER draft an FSU lineman. Can you say Andre Wadsworth, Reinhard Wilson, Jamal Reynolds, Larry Smith, Tony Bryant, Alphonso Carreker.

The second, NEVER draft a Florida WR. Welcome to NFL mediocrity: Jacquez Green, Ike Hilliard, Taylor Jacobs, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Travis McGriff, Jack Johnson, Riedel Anthony, Travis Taylor.

If the Packers draft a Florida WR I will be forced to go on a multi state crime spree to feed my crack addiction.

Partial
09-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Alley Broussard

Dallas Baker

There are 2 rules to the draft. One, NEVER draft an FSU lineman. Can you say Andre Wadsworth, Reinhard Wilson, Jamal Reynolds, Larry Smith, Tony Bryant, Alphonso Carreker.

The second, NEVER draft a Florida WR. Welcome to NFL mediocrity: Jacquez Green, Ike Hilliard, Taylor Jacobs, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Travis McGriff, Jack Johnson, Riedel Anthony, Travis Taylor.

If the Packers draft a Florida WR I will be forced to go on a multi state crime spree to feed my crack addiction.

Amen! I 100% agree with you, Mr. chapelle.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2006, 07:57 PM
He is an athlete, and boy the challenge of making it on the All-SEC academic team must have really been a hard earned accomplishment. I thought they still taught "Hooked on Phonics" in all SEC schools.

I'd be thrilled if either of my kids got into Vandy, and probably wouldn't be too upset if they went to Florida either.

mission
09-21-2006, 08:21 PM
He is an athlete, and boy the challenge of making it on the All-SEC academic team must have really been a hard earned accomplishment. I thought they still taught "Hooked on Phonics" in all SEC schools.

I'd be thrilled if either of my kids got into Vandy, and probably wouldn't be too upset if they went to Florida either.

or Auburn?! The school is like $32,000 a year... every kid I interview out of there is waaaaaaaay tooooooooo coooooooooool and educated to ever do an entry level sales position.

... then i interview the same guy a year later with the tone changed. :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2006, 09:56 PM
i see ginn as being one of those guys that never ends up making a serious impact in the nfl (like most osu wideouts actually).

OSU has turned out some pretty good wideouts. Better than most universities. Ever hear of Cris Carter, Joey Galloway, Terry Glenn, Michael Jenkins (who is a good receiver stuck with Mike Vick throwing him the ball, so he doesn't get the stats)? David Boston was damn good before he beefed up. Santonio Holmes is next in line. Which 1st round receivers have they had that have been a bust? That's pretty good success. You won't find too many universities with more solid wideouts. Michigan is known for their wideouts (and they've been good), and all they have right now is Braylon Edwards and Amani Toomer. The only really good Florida State wideouts now are Anquan Boldin, Lav Coles, and Javon Walker. Miami with Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, and Andre Johnson.

Florida is the school that puts out a bunch of 1st round picks at WR, and most don't do that much.

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2006, 09:59 PM

I see you made the same point about Florida's wideouts.

They did produce Darrell Jackson, so they have one good one. It will be interesting to see if Chad Jackson follows suit.

BallHawk
09-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Wisconsin isn't doing bad with Lee Evans and Chris Chambers.

Damn, I can't say that last name without thinking what could of been. :sad:

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2006, 11:27 AM

Vanderbilt is a really good school, I played high school ball with two or three guys that got scholarships to play there, and the main thing was that these guys were also very smart.

Florida is medicore at best. I would rather send my kid to Miami so I could at least have a nice vacation when I would visit them.

CyclonePackFan
09-22-2006, 12:03 PM
OK, so there's a lot of talk about WR's, Calvin Johnson vs. Ted Ginn, Jr., etc.

I have a theory on drafting WR's.

Let's look at some of the best recievers in the NFL, shall we?

Issac Bruce - College: Memphis - Drafted: 33nd (1994)
Marvin Harrison - College: Syracuse - Drafted: 19th (1996)
Torry Holt - College: N.C. State - Drafted: 6th (1999)
Chad Johnson - College: Oregon State - Drafted: 36th (2001)
Randy Moss - College: Marshall - Drafted: 21st (1998)
Terrell Owens - College: Tenn-Chattanooga - Drafted: 89th (1996)
Jerry Rice - College: MS Valley St. - Drafted: 16th (1985)

Now, let's look at some top-10 draft picks:
1982 - None
1983 - None
1984 - Irving Fryar (1) - Nebraska, Kenny Jackson (4) - Penn State
1985 - Al Toon (10) - Wisconsin
1986 - None
1987 - None
1988 - Tim Brown (6) -N.D., Sterling Sharpe (7) - South Carolina (dis)honorable mention: Michael Irvin (11) - Miami
1989 - None
1990 - None
1991 - Herman Moore (10) - Virginia
1992 - Desmond Howard (4) - Michigan
1993 - Curtis Conway (7) - USC
1994 - None
1995 - Michael Westbrook (4) - Colorado, Joey Galloway (8) - OSU, J.J. Stokes (10) - UCLA
1996 - Keyshawn Johnson (1) - USC, Terry Glenn (7) - OSU
1997 - Ike Hilliard (7) - Florida
1998 - None
1999 - Torry Holt (6) - N.C. State, David Boston (8) - Ohio State
2000 - Peter Warrick (4) - FSU, Plaxico Burress (8) - Michigan St., Travis Taylor (10) - Florida
2001 - David Terrell (8) - Michigan, Koren Robinson (9) - N.C. State
2002 - None
2003 - Charles Rodgers (2) - Michigan St., Andre Johnson (3) - Miami
2004 - Larry Fitzgerald (3) - Pittsburgh, Roy Williams (7) - Texas, Reggie Williams (9) - Washington
2005 - Braylon Edwards (3) - Michigan, Troy Williamson (7) - South Carolina, Mike Williams (10) - USC

I have to leave to go to class 3 minutes ago, so infer what you want from this data, I'll finish my post later.

PackerPro42
09-23-2006, 02:37 PM
BallHawk Wrote:

With this team having a lot of holes, I think that the Pack should trade down. If we get a top ten pick, then I would trade our pick for a middle/late #1 and a 2nd round pick. If we get a top 5, trade that for two #1 picks.

RB is our most prominent need of help and I think this man would be the man to fix that need. He'd be available in the 15-20 area, too.

I thought you said that the packers should pick a OL man and that picking a RB would be stupid.

b bulldog
09-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Calvin Peterson is my choice :oops:

PackerPro42
09-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Mine is still Peterson.