PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith Rumor - PFT Disclaimer

Scott Campbell
09-20-2006, 05:20 PM
STEVE SMITH RUMOR SPREADS (OR DOES IT?)

A reader sent an e-mail this morning advising us that the Tampa Tribune is reporting that Panthers receiver Steve Smith isn't playing because of his contract, not because of his hamstring(s).

We rushed to the site, anxious to see something/anything that would lend credence to the suspicions of some league insiders (posted right here last week) that Smith's hamstrings are being influenced by his purse strings.

As it turns out, the "report" is a throwaway line in the eleventh paragraph of a rambling item: "Rumors are filtering out of Charlotte that Smith is healthy enough to play but is disgruntled with his contract situation."

Man, is that sloppy. At least we explained when floating this nugget a week ago that league insiders are merely speculating about the possibility that Smith is jaking it, and we were careful to point out that there are no facts to support the suspicions. The Trib, in contrast, lobs a hand grenade onto the dinner table and then moves on, with no effort to explain where the rumors come from, or whether or not the rumors are valid.

Based on past practices of the publication in question (which as a member of the "real" media should be held to a higher standard than crapholes like ours), we wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Trib is merely parroting our speculation from a week ago. If not, then Ira Kaufman (Editor's note: The prior version of this item had a very unfortunate typo), the writer of the piece, should tell us where these "rumors" are coming from.

mraynrand
09-20-2006, 06:58 PM
'jaking it?'

Guiness
09-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Cool - does that mean we're being used as a source? Moving on up!

I wonder when they start attributing us? Maybe soon we'll see on Foxsports "

'Lead capologist Patler from Packerrats summarizes Washington will...'
or
'Resident Viking lover Rastak showed compassion for the Pack's current problems...'
or
'The feeling of Canadians Guiness and Woodbuck was that....'
or
'TexasPackerBacker predicts a big win for the Pack over the heavily favored...'

Ok. Maybe not that last one.

Rastak
09-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Cool - does that mean we're being used as a source? Moving on up!

I wonder when they start attributing us? Maybe soon we'll see on Foxsports "

'Lead capologist Patler from Packerrats summarizes Washington will...'
or
'Resident Viking lover Rastak showed compassion for the Pack's current problems...'
or
'The feeling of Canadians Guiness and Woodbuck was that....'
or
'TexasPackerBacker predicts a big win for the Pack over the heavily favored...'

Ok. Maybe not that last one.

A Tampa newspaper offered the same speculation.

woodbuck27
09-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Steve Smith, WR CAR

News: Panthers WR Steve Smith did agility drills and some light running on a separate field while his teammates practiced Wednesday. He's listed as questionable for Sunday's game at Tampa Bay. Smith, who missed the first two games after straining his right hamstring Sept. 5, was not seen during any practice last week.

Smith also killed the rumor that he's coming back slowly from his hamstring injury as a ploy to get a new contract.

"For the people who are insulting me and this organization, who think I'm going to stoop down to that level, that's not me," Smith said.

"There are a lot of other things I can be doing if I'm holding out. I can go home. I can go to the lake house with my family. I can do a lot of things more important than to make a (fool) out of myself and the organization. You're foolish to think that."

ahaha
09-21-2006, 12:36 AM
'jaking it?'

Of course, what a great euphamism for the situation. If Smith was really faking his injury, and hanging in the training room while everybody else was on the practice field, he'd be doing what any of us would....Masturbating. :wink: :wink: :mad: :mad: :mad: :cry: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pbmax
09-21-2006, 09:40 AM
'jaking it?'

Of course, what a great euphamism for the situation. If Smith was really faking his injury, and hanging in the training room while everybody else was on the practice field, he'd be doing what any of us would....Masturbating. :wink: :wink: :mad: :mad: :mad: :cry: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That's not jack' - ing it...

That's jake' - ing it....

Or maybe I'm missing the poster's tongue planted in their cheek.

ahaha
09-21-2006, 09:42 AM
'jaking it?'

That's not jack' - ing it...

That's jake' - ing it....

Or maybe I'm missing the poster's tongue planted in their cheek.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Zool
09-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Smith speaks

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Steve Smith heard the rumor: He's coming back slowly from his hamstring injury as a ploy to get a new contract.

"There are a lot of other things I can be doing if I'm holding out. I can go home. I can go to the lake house with my family. I can do a lot of things more important than to make a [fool] out of myself and the organization. You're foolish to think that."
-- Steve Smith

The wide receiver shredded that theory Wednesday as he tries to work his way back onto the field for the Carolina Panthers.

"For the people who are insulting me and this organization, who think I'm going to stoop down to that level, that's not me," Smith said. "There are a lot of other things I can be doing if I'm holding out. I can go home. I can go to the lake house with my family. I can do a lot of things more important than to make a [fool] out of myself and the organization. You're foolish to think that."

Still listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Buccaneers, Smith did agility drills and some light running on an adjacent field while his team practiced Wednesday. It was the closest he's come to returning to the field since straining his right hamstring in practice Sept. 5. Before that, Smith missed more than two weeks of training camp with a strained left hamstring and another week with an ingrown toenail that required surgery.

Without Smith, the league's top receiver last season, the Panthers have managed just one touchdown and 19 points in an 0-2 start.

Last week, an Internet site speculated that Smith might be sitting out to gain leverage for a new contract. The Tampa Tribune repeated the rumor this week.

Smith, who signed a six-year, $28 million contract in March 2004, lashed out Wednesday when asked about the rumors.

"If I want to sit out, if I'm trying to make a point, Deion Branch is a great example of making a point," said Smith, referring to Branch's holdout in New England that led to his trade to Seattle earlier this month. "Sitting out with a real pulled hamstring, that's not the way to go. It's sickening, actually. All the stuff I had to go through -- the treatments, the surgery on my toe. There's a shorter route to go than all the stuff I went through the last 10 weeks."

Other than his anger over the rumors, Smith appeared calm after practice and insisted he hasn't been overly frustrated with the injuries. He said his experience in 2004, when he missed all but one game with a broken leg, has helped.

"It's not very difficult because in 2004 I missed 15 games," Smith said. "I take this as a phase in my life that's temporary. It's not permanent."

Jake Delhomme, who hasn't thrown a touchdown pass this season, can't wait to get his favorite target back. He isn't questioning Smith's desire to return.

"He knows his body and I know what kind of guy he is. I know it's absolutely killing him not to be out there fighting and competing," Delhomme said. "That's the guy I know and that's what makes him so good. He just has that burning desire to be great. He's working his tail off, doing what he can do to get back out there."

Smith, who had 103 catches for 1,563 yards and 12 touchdowns last season as the co-Comeback Player of the Year with New England's Tedy Bruschi, warned that he alone can't revive an offense that ranks 30th out of 32 teams after two weeks.

"I'll make mistakes when I get back," he said. "Who am I to cast a stone when I'll be messing up sometimes, as well?"

Smith wouldn't speculate if he'll return to the field this Sunday against Tampa Bay and downplayed the significance of the light running he did Wednesday.

"I'll be excited when I line up on Sunday," he said, "so all the haters can go back and put their [number] 89 jerseys back on."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press