PDA

View Full Version : Why You Love Football...........?

GrnBay007
09-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Men, Women and Children Love it......Why?

Why do SOOOO many people LOVE football?

Did you love football before you fell for the Green Bay Packers....or....were you born-raised a Packer fan and loved the sport since?

Curious what makes us Rats tick in respect to love of the game of football.

Bretsky
09-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Love football because teams pretty much have a fair shake.

Baseball, with current salary rules, is a pathetic excuse for a sport. You know every year the Yankees will buy their way into the playoffs and maybe a title, and a quarter of the teams at least have little to no chance at the beginning of each season.

Pro Basketball, well, if you don't truly love the game, it's just not interesting enough as you can watch the last five minutes of most games and not miss that much.

But Football is the sport where every team truly has a chance at the beginning of each season. It's the most equitable sport salary wise and with a competent GM a team can turn around a franchise within 2-3 years.

I'm a Packer fan, but even without the Packers I'd still love football.

Mazzin
09-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Because it's like a drama show, you always want to know whats going to happen next, and then you also have Fantasy Football, that makes it addicting! But I dont know when i see that green and gold on the field my spine gets all tingly!

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2006, 09:50 AM
BS, Mazzin. You like to see the rippling muscles of the strapping black men, forbidden fruit, guys who would get your dad nervous if you brought them home. You think about Donald Driver every night. You can fool the others, but I know you.

But I dont know when i see that green and gold on the field my spine gets all tingly!

ok, well, at least you are getting close to the truth.

Zool
09-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Projecting much?

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2006, 09:53 AM
maybe a little. Driver is a very nice man.

jack's smirking revenge
09-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Honestly, I don't know why I love professional football. It's annoyingly complicated with all of its crazy rules. It's a game where a few weak links can bring down a whole team. Its players are WAY overpaid for the level of entertainment they provide. The financial disparity between teams (the haves and have-nots) and egomaniacal personalities of those people who own teams can be irritating. It's overblown, overmarketed, overdone...

And its simply entertainment.

So why do I love it? Simply, the Green Bay Packers. If they did not exist-- with their history, their roots in small-town America and their ownership structure--I don't think I would've become so passionate. My love of the Packers has emboldened my love for football itself. The Packers may be "cheesy", but their classiness, integrity as an organization and down-to-Earth aura provide balance in a league overrun by flash, glam and mercenary players and owners.

No team is perfect. Hell, the Packers signing K-Rob has made many across the NFL and in the media go "Huh?" But desperate teams do desperate things in order to appease the masses. The Packers are no different. They want to win and BAD. I believe the GB environment--the virtual "Tundra-ness" of the locale and the city--reduces the ability of players to have a me-first attitude.

tyler

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2006, 10:07 AM
lately, I've enjoyed watching college games more than pros. The college game is a little more wide open. The pro defenders are so damn fast, it is hard to really have any spectacular running plays.

Zool
09-21-2006, 10:09 AM
maybe a little. Driver is a very nice man.He certainly is.

Ive been a Packer fan for as long as I can remember. My oldest memory is from a Sunday at Grandmas sitting around with 6 uncles watching Packer football. Even though they sucked, everyone watched intently every weekend. You just dont see that with many other sports fans. I've been hooked ever since.

GBRulz
09-21-2006, 10:15 AM
What B said pretty much hit it dead on for me, but I would like to add a few things....

Those tight ends are an added bonus :twisted:

The season isn't too long. Then again, even if the NBA were only 2 months long, I still wouldn't watch it.

The social aspect of it. People are usually up for having a get together to watch the game. I am thinking back of the last time I had friends over for a Brewer game where we grilled brats, drank lots and followed the game? Hmmm, I think never is my final answer!

I do have to say though that being a Packer fan has increased my love of the game overall. My Dad moved us to FL for about 8 years while growing up, moved back to WI when I started H.S. so I didn't really start following them religiously until the Majik years. Living in FL I was pretty much a Fins fan. Loved baseball, but at the time, the closest team was Atlanta. Then the strike happened and I said "screw baseball"....

Badgepack
09-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Born and raised in Wisconsin, every Sunday, whether it be at home, at a relatives, or over to a friends house, everyone would be watching the Packer game, always.

So, I guess I was a Packer fan before a football fan.

Tony Oday
09-21-2006, 10:37 AM
There are a lot of reasons I love this game

Season length EVERY GAME COUNTS! You go on a 10 game tear it means something. You do that in any other major team sport and you have a nice little run.

Players are uniformed and covered up. Sounds stupid but I am so sick of the thug attitude coming from the NBA it is rediculous. I dont want to watch a bunch of malcontents on the field/court/ice.

Hitting this is also why I like hockey

Salary cap. When Buffalo and Green Bay can spend just as much as Washington and New York you know you did something right.

Scouting and drafting. Draft picks can have an immediate impact and if they suck you can cut them and not have to pay them the whole contract. In the NBA you have guys like Nddi Eubie who have never payed a minute of NBA ball but made 13million for being drafted STUPID!

Preseason. Its short and you get to see the young guys play.

Fantasy Football

The fact that people like my Dad and my wife can watch the game and like it even though they dont know the people on their teams!

The fact that my Dad traveled 48 weeks out of the year but was home on weekends and we would go to Eau Galle Wisconsin to watch The Majik Man and Lynn and Dillwig and Woodside. I loved those days.

Football is the one sport in the US that you can take a nice relaxed approach to have some friends over and watch a game that means something.

College football blows in my mind because they should be getting paid a salary since the schools and the NCAA make so much why do they get a monopoly?

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Brett Favre

jack's smirking revenge
09-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Brett Favre

Good answer, but what happens when he's gone? (It's inevitable.)

tyler

MJZiggy
09-21-2006, 11:31 AM
I, like others loved the Packers first as that's who was on in the living room growing up. As I watched the Pack, I learned football and here's why:

Football is a thinking sport, as in it's 3rd and 4 what are they going to do? Pass it? run? reverse? is there a trick play coming? How will the defense handle it? On 4th down, will they go for it? FG? Punt?

It's also the ultimate team sport. You can be really good a what you do in football, but without the rest of your team it doesn't mean anything. A star receiver is nothing if his qb can't throw. A Pro Bowl running back won't get very far without a line blocking for him and on and on. Individual performance is merely a cog in the larger wheel here.

It's explosive. Suddenly, everything goes right and you break a run for 40 yards. When's the last time that happened in tennis? Or even soccer?

And, as some others said, any team can win on any given week. You can't really say with all that much certainty who will win (even if you are doing really well in your pick 'em). Besides, I know more about football than my Dad-in-law. It's almost like I'm the football fan kid he's always wanted.

woodbuck27
09-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I grew up addicted to playing sports and as a result of that hanging with "the Boys" at the local store. While waiting for the girls to come chasing, we poked dimes/quarters into the juke box, ate treats and slammed one another over OUR favourite teams and personal Hero's.

Back then most "of the Boys" followed...baseball in the summer and hockey in the winter. I was a Milwaukee Brave fan (HERO - Hammerin' Hank Aaron)and rooted for the Leafs and Frank ' the Big M ' Mahovlich as my HERO in Hockey.

The Braves had back to back World Series with "the hated Yankees" in 1957-58, and I discovered that there was this NFL team located in some obscure place named Green Bay, in the same State as the Milwaukee Braves called HOME.

The Packers wern't very good back then, but in 1959 it began to change.

Some fella named Vince Lombardi became the new HC and GM of " the Packers ". That name also attracted me, as in Saint John, New Brunswick,Canada... I loved to root for a local softball team named the Canada Packers (a meat processing Company sponsored team, in the Allied Industrial Softball League in " the Surf City ").

That was my root connection to " the Packers ", and their participation in the NFL. Well you all know of ( lump in my throat now) the Packers of the 1960's. What a ride !

I was hooked despite so so long a wait between Super Bowls I and II and for WOLF - Holmgren - Favre and then Reggie White (and his friend TE Keith Jackson who helped to seal the deal) along with so many more players, that GM RON WOLF acquired, to produce the Super Bowl XXXI Champion GREEN BAY PACKERS.

Finally OUR THIRD Championship. What a long long wait and I never stopped hoping and waiting until I saw Favre and I said to myself...YES! We have a real chance. Getting Reggie White really set that possibility up for (inside of) me.

So why am I " a Packer and NFL fan" of passion?

It suits me perfectly. I am still that boy back in the Old neighborhood. I still love my Packers and have my HERO and I'm so prowd to proclaim that is Brett Favre.

BRETT FAVRE. He is a magnificent HERO. The REAL SHIT.

From Henry Aaron to Frank Mahovlich (The Toronto Maple Leafs - Detroit Red Wings - The Montreal Canadians) and onto Guy Lafleur (the Montreal Canadians - les Habitant's or Habs). . .it was a dry spell for me to choose a HERO.

That choice became BRETT FAVRE.

Finally the Leader that my NFL Team "the Packers" had been waiting for, for two and a half decades since Bart Starr. Brett Favre, that wildly exciting and amazingly gifted of arm and desire and competitive spirit.. " boy to Man" as OUR QB.

He had finally arrived... ala Moses.

Not many things have ever drawn as much overwhelming passion from me as things Brett Favre. BRETT FAVRE is easily my choice as my ALL TIME SPORTS HERO. Look at who I compare him to, to get some proper perspective.

Aaron - Mahovlich - Lafleur all truly (unarguably) GREAT PRO Athletes.. compared to their peers ALL TIME.

ALL three of these MEN with TOP of the Class skills and talent. ALL three of these former HERO's make either First, Second or Third Team ALL STARS - ALL TIME in their discipline.

I hold Breet Favre above those three.

So BRETT FAVRE has made it really easy to get through the last 14-15 seasons as " a PACKER and NFL fan".

So what adds to the juice?

I've always been a Statistics junkey, having always particpated in hockey pools all my adult life. Continuing as a baseball and hockey fan. In BB it's always been "the Celtics" and well that is becoming a long wait as well. My last favourite player there was the incomparible and like Favre like competitor Larry Bird. Yet he never established HERO status inside of me.

I love Mathematics and Science and am analitical naturally. I've had an entire career based on my analytical, mathematical skills and troubleshooting skills and attention to being organized and detailed when it's absolutely necessary.

The NFL as a PRO Sport is really so analytical and statisticaly based in measurement to serve as a means of evaluation. Personality also plays a big part and what have we but some 1700-1800 NFL players making and coming on and off 53-man rosters.

This makes staying on top of the NFL incredibly challenging. Based in reading alot and absorbing it all to break it down and compare to make decisions and understand realities.

When I analyze I remove all emotion from the question.

When I have to deal with the Green Bay Packers and their marvelous and mature LEADER Brett Favre... the emotion overcomes me at times.Too many years a Packer fan.

The GLORY yes. . .but Oh Oh Oh . . " THE PAIN " that will lead us back to... " THE GLORY ", as provisions and circumstances fit... as parameters meet.

I LOVE THE GREEN BAY PACKERS and BRETT FAVRE.

woodbuck27
09-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Honestly, I don't know why I love professional football. It's annoyingly complicated with all of its crazy rules. It's a game where a few weak links can bring down a whole team. Its players are WAY overpaid for the level of entertainment they provide. The financial disparity between teams (the haves and have-nots) and egomaniacal personalities of those people who own teams can be irritating. It's overblown, overmarketed, overdone...

So why do I love it? Simply, the Green Bay Packers. If they did not exist-- with their history, their roots in small-town America and their ownership structure--I don't think I would've become so passionate. My love of the Packers has emboldened my love for football itself. The Packers may be "cheesy", but their classiness, integrity as an organization and down-to-Earth aura provide balance in a league overrun by flash, glam and mercenary players and owners.

No team is perfect. Hell, the Packers signing K-Rob has made many across the NFL and in the media go "Huh?" But desperate teams do desperate things in order to appease the masses. The Packers are no different. They want to win and BAD. I believe the GB environment--the virtual "Tundra-ness" of the locale and the city--reduces the ability of players to have a me-first attitude.

tyler

That's nice tyler.Thank YOU for your insight to the Packer Organization it's place in American Sports as unique, and your faith as a die hard Packer fan. :mrgreen:

AtlPackFan
09-21-2006, 12:26 PM
I grew up 15 miles from Lambeau field in the 60's. 'Nuff said.

oregonpackfan
09-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Why do I follow pro football, which for me, means to follow the Green Bay Packers? There are a lot of reasons, some of them redundant to ideas other posters mentioned.

1. Family tradition. I can still remember the family gathering around the television to watch and cheer for the Packers. It was simply one of the unifying aspects of our family life. When we have our family reunions once every 2 years, the Packers remain one of the hot topics discussed.

2. Social tradition. Growing up in northern Wisconsin, it seemed like everyone in the town was unified in supporting the Packers. Main Street was truly empty during the Packer games.
During the Lombardi years, the start time of the games was changed so that it conflicted with the weekly noon Mass at the Catholic church. Noon Mass was eventually cancelled not only because it had few parishioners show up but because none of the 3 parish priests wanted to miss the game!

3. David vs. Goliath mindset. Someone brought up the topic of the public ownership of the team. Yes, that is a big part of it but so is the fact that Green Bay has a population of just 100,000 taking on teams from highly populated urban areas. People out here in Oregon are shocked when I tell them that not only is Portland is considerably larger than Green Bay but that Eugene and Salem have populations exceeding Green Bay's population.

4. Respect for one's geographical heritage. Though I now live 2,000 miles from my home state, I will never forget my Wisconsin roots and its deep ties with the Packers. As I have mentioned before, I have met many ex-Wisconsinites out here who remain loyal Packer fans. In fact, I have never met any ex-Wisconsinite who switched loyalties from being a Packer fan to a West Coast pro fan.

5. Love of the team approach to sport. I think MJZiggy elaborated very well on the teamwork aspect of football. Football has a special bonding element of teamwork not found in other team sports.

Yes, I am a Packer fan and damned proud of it!

OPF

jack's smirking revenge
09-21-2006, 12:42 PM

tyler

That's nice tyler.Thank YOU for your insight to the Packer Organization it's place in American Sports as unique, and your faith as a die hard Packer fan. :mrgreen:

You're definitely welcome. Anytime! Thank you for your undying support from up nort!

tyler

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Why do I love football? It's better than a football loving me.

ahaha
09-21-2006, 03:14 PM
The fact that my Dad traveled 48 weeks out of the year but was home on weekends and we would go to Eau Galle Wisconsin to watch The Majik Man and Lynn and Dillwig and Woodside. I loved those days

Oday, I was in high school in Durand at that time. I wasn't old enough to have a beer at "The Polecat Den", but I did have a girlfriend in Eau Galle at the time. Small World.

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Good stuff, woody.

I pretty much like all sports, but football is superior for a couple of reasons.

1) The game itself. 11 men vs. 11 men. All almost equally important. It's an exciting and physical sport.
2) The social aspect and tradition. Since I was young, this was the sport that people around me liked most. I grew up a Packer fan at the same time as a football fan. If there were no Green Bay Packers, I'd still love it most. However, the Packers make it infinitely better.

The salary cap to level the playing field and the fact that the Packers are publicly owned from a small town with a rich history are added bonuses.

Tony Oday
09-21-2006, 03:34 PM
The fact that my Dad traveled 48 weeks out of the year but was home on weekends and we would go to Eau Galle Wisconsin to watch The Majik Man and Lynn and Dillwig and Woodside. I loved those days

Oday, I was in high school in Durand at that time. I wasn't old enough to have a beer at "The Polecat Den", but I did have a girlfriend in Eau Galle at the time. Small World.

lol Pole Cats burned down :( My Grand Parents owned that bar a long time ago :) they built it :)

Thats my dad's home town.

*edit for content*

To those who dont know this IS a small world Eau Galle is a whopiing 315 people in its hey day! I would imagine 150-200 now :) only a 1 bar town not a 2 bar town anymore :)

pacfan
09-21-2006, 04:01 PM
I like football because I played it when I was younger. My dad really pushed us to go out for organized sports and football was an excellent outlet for some teenage angst. Being able to clobber somebody without getting trouble was a thrill for me, then.

I'm a Packer fan for all the same reasons that were posted, grew-up watching games with my dad, identified with the players, etc.... My brothers and I would use the player's jersey numbers from the current roster to encrypt phone numbers or other numeric messages (Lofton=80, Koch=68, etc...).

Don't say it...we know we're geeks. :smile:

GrnBay007
09-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey some really great responses here! It's funny how football brings out such emotion in people. I don't see that nearly as much with other sports. Some people cheer for this team or that team and truely just watch for entertainment purposes. I don't know...just seems like football fans are so much more passionate than others. Who knows, maybe it's more about the NFL being so much more popular than many sports. .........but anyway, we love it, and just wanted to know why my fellow Rats love the game.

For me, as a young kid it was all about the fun of it. I come from a pretty big family and it may sound a bit strange, but many of my neices and nephews were around my age. We would always have family gatherings and my brother would alway organize a family football game. Great times!

Of course I went to every one of my brother's football games....he was my idol because of his dedication and talent as QB. He was like the Brett of our city. It was fun getting all that attention just because I was his lil sis. ha ha.

Then came the Packer years. My brothers and cousins would all go to games and I was still pretty young ...plus it was always a guy trip, so I would know they would be there and always watch the games. From there watching and cheering for the Packers became an addiction! :D Eventually I was able to get to a couple Packer games with my brothers and several other relatives...Great times...and hopefully more to come!

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Brett Favre

Good answer, but what happens when he's gone? (It's inevitable.)

tyler

Well I'll have to............um.....um.................wait I could always..............no that want work.....................SHIT! I don't know. :neutral:

esoxx
09-22-2006, 01:06 AM
lately, I've enjoyed watching college games more than pros. The college game is a little more wide open. The pro defenders are so damn fast, it is hard to really have any spectacular running plays.

Very astute observation really. Breakin' off long, zig-zagging runs shown on highlight films from the 60's & 70's doesn't happen with much frequency anymore. The RB was typically fast (at least somewhat) and the LB's from those days were slowww plodders so it made for quite the display.

Nowadays, with the type of skills in the NFL from the D, it's really hard to make those types of runs. Different game today. Way more skilled, almost can't compare to what it was.