PDA

View Full Version : Are the Packers playing too much zone defense?

FritzDontBlitz
09-21-2006, 05:05 AM
upon viewing nfl replay last night, i noticed that green bay kept dropping 7 into coverage and only tried pressuring the qb with 4 down linemen on most of the big plays by drew brees and the saints. is it just me, or are we still using "7 cover slice" - ed donatell's favorite pass defense?

Mazzin
09-21-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm glad you also noticed, I tought it was BS! Al Harris is BEST at Bump coverage, so why don't you play them man to man....also Charles Woodson, is like a BLANKET in man coverage, but zone is where he is lacking.

KYPack
09-21-2006, 07:57 AM
It's not a cover 7.

They are playing the BatesSanders D.

DE's wide and charge up the field

LB's in the middle making plays

Twin safeties in various 7 man zones

You mainly play a 7 man cover with pretty much all the covers.

Bates knew how to tweak the D at the right times and get his guys fired up to play it.

Sanders is no motivator and doesn't know all the tricks Bates did.

As I tell people all the time, it ain't the plays, it's the players.

pbmax
09-21-2006, 08:42 AM
upon viewing nfl replay last night, i noticed that green bay kept dropping 7 into coverage and only tried pressuring the qb with 4 down linemen on most of the big plays by drew brees and the saints. is it just me, or are we still using "7 cover slice" - ed donatell's favorite pass defense?
I haven't seen the tape, but that sounds like the nickle coverage they are using this year.

Last year they avoided that personnel grouping because they felt there wasn't a second LB who could handle coverage like Barnett.

And in Bate's scheme, they oftem play man inside zone. Like a matchup defense in basketball, they take the receiver who comes into their area and then cover him man for man.

I don't think the scheme is the problem. Its been Poppinga, Collins and Carrol in coverage that have been nightmarish.

KYPack
09-21-2006, 09:26 AM
I haven't seen the tape, but that sounds like the nickle coverage they are using this year.

Last year they avoided that personnel grouping because they felt there wasn't a second LB who could handle coverage like Barnett.

And in Bate's scheme, they oftem play man inside zone. Like a matchup defense in basketball, they take the receiver who comes into their area and then cover him man for man.

I don't think the scheme is the problem. Its been Poppinga, Collins and Carrol in coverage that have been nightmarish.

Don't forget M Manuel, "the people's choice"

Cover 7 was actually an "8 in the box" run defense. People think is was a pass scheme because everybody beat the hell out of it by throwing on it every time they saw it.

It's a largely extinct creature only seen occasionally in Atlanta in a cave owned by Ed Donnatel.

FritzDontBlitz
09-21-2006, 04:34 PM
you know, i've been thinking.

because of how his defense has been torched thru the air the past two weeks, should we be calling the defensive coordinator bob "colonel" sanders now?

featuring ahmad "buffalo wings" carroll

KYPack
09-21-2006, 05:10 PM
you know, i've been thinking.

because of how his defense has been torched thru the air the past two weeks, should we be calling the defensive coordinator bob "colonel" sanders now?

featuring ahmad "buffalo wings" carroll

Good one FDB.

'Cept I shudda thought of it.

(Harv, don't even get on my ass for contracting "except")