PDA

View Full Version : Javon Back In Form?

Scott Campbell
09-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Trade for Walker pays off for Broncos
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2006/0921/2006921__spt_postbroncos_0921~1.jpg

DENVER - When the Denver Broncos spent the spring watching tape of veteran receivers they thought might be available through trade or free agency, they were looking for a guy who could win a game late.
They wanted a guy who would make a catch even if he wasn't open. A guy who would outjump and outwork multiple defenders to make the play everyone would talk about.
The study always brought the Broncos to Javon Walker. After two months of study and subsequent negotiations with Green Bay, the Broncos used a second-round pick to trade for Walker on draft day. And in a 9-6 victory over Kansas City, Walker began to show why the Broncos wanted him.
''I know why they brought me in, to help make the big play,'' Walker said. ''They want me to make the big catch. That's what I've done in the past. I pride myself in making the big catch. Hopefully, this is just the start of it here. Hopefully, the fans will see a lot more of this.''
Fans left Invesco Field at Mile High on Sunday knowing why Walker was the centerpiece of the Broncos' offseason. They knew why Denver outworked half a dozen teams to acquire Walker. They knew why Denver gave Walker the hefty contract he wanted. They knew why Walker was worth the risk, coming off a knee injury that had sidelined him for most of the 2005 season with the Packers.
If this season is going to mirror the Broncos' 2005 season - it has been eerily similar thus far - a big catch by Walker in overtime may be the equivalent of Champ Bailey's 25-yard interception return for a touchdown against San Diego in Week 2 last year, awakening a Denver team that wound up taking a 14-3 record into the AFC title game.
During a second consecutive game of mostly uninspired and mistake-filled play by the offense, Walker made the play of the early season in overtime. With longtime star receiver Rod Smith on the bench because of a concussion, the Broncos were at the Chiefs' 49-yard line with second-and-10. Walker took off down the Chiefs' sideline, baiting veteran cornerback Ty Law and moving inward toward the ball. He brought in the pass from Jake Plummer, and made a nice move to get to the Chiefs' 25 for a 24-yard gain. After three consecutive running plays, Jason Elam kicked a 39-yard field goal.
Denver had the victory, thanks to getting the guy they wanted.
''I hope it has the same effect as the interception did last year,'' Bailey said. ''I hope it rubs off for the rest of the season.''
Plummer expects it will. ''He's shown why we got him here is to go get the ball. He's made some big catches, and that one was the biggest one he's had yet. Hopefully there will be more,'' Plummer said.
Against the Chiefs, Walker made five catches for 79 yards, and ran a 16-yard reverse on fourth-and-1 from Kansas City's 43 in the third quarter to set up the first of Elam's three field goals.
''I felt much better about my second game than my first game,'' Walker said. ''But those first games are always shaky. I feel like I have it all behind me now.''
Walker dropped two passes in Denver's 18-10 loss at St. Louis while making his first regular-season appearance since suffering his knee injury in the 2005 opener with Green Bay.
Walker showed in the Kansas City game he is healthy and ready to team with Smith for a strong receiving tandem. Smith practiced Wednesday, is listed as probable, and coach Mike Shanahan said he expects Smith to play Sunday at New England.

I'll give him credit for playing well enough Sunday, but geez - you'd think he put up Driver's numbers by the way this fool is gushing all over him.

mmmdk
09-21-2006, 11:24 AM
The sheer talent of Walker will be missed not his personality. Has anyone noticed that it's been awhile since Favre completed 60% of his passes in a game? A sign of a poor GB WR corps.

Packnut
09-21-2006, 11:30 AM
The sheer talent of Walker will be missed not his personality. Has anyone noticed that it's been awhile since Favre completed 60% of his passes in a game? A sign of a poor GB WR corps.

He will have a very good season and in the end will will make all those who under-estimated his value look very foolish.

MadtownPacker
09-21-2006, 11:31 AM
I take it as more of a sign of a poor o-line. The crybaby traitor didnt exactly light it up and has denver even scored 10 points yet? Yeah real big plays there.

Jennings had almost as many yard AND a TD!!

"If they give him time, the ball will come"

MadtownPacker
09-21-2006, 11:35 AM
He will have a very good season and in the end will will make all those who under-estimated his value look very foolish.
Well he aint on pace for a very good season yet. How many TDs he got? I would prefer the Pack look "foolish" then be some 1.5 year wonders punk.

mmmdk
09-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I take it as more of a sign of a poor o-line. The crybaby traitor didnt exactly light it up and has denver even scored 10 points yet? Yeah real big plays there.

Jennings had almost as many yard AND a TD!!

"If they give him time, the ball will come"

It was not a Favre bashing. I agree with the O-line (don't we all know it?) but apart from Driver & Jennings I don't see much WR talent. Maybe K-Rob but that's such a huge if that I don't even know where to begin. Fergy is an average WR at best but he's such a good guy that I always hope he'll somehow "get it" - he won't though.

What happened to Ruvell Martin? Is he just roster filler? Or does he get a chance? Words out of camp were positive but what can Ruvell bring to the table? I'd like to see him in the red-zone.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2006, 12:14 PM

He may indeed have a good season, but I'm not willing to give him his Purple Heart just yet.

woodbuck27
09-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Javon Walker....uhhh! Whatever.

We have Donald Driver and a developing Greg Jennings with the good attitude and PLEASE soon give Ruvell Martin a shot Mike McCarthy. He deserves a chance to contribute,

A chance ! :idea: :?: :?:

MJZiggy
09-21-2006, 01:00 PM
He'll get in there, Woodbuck. I'm with you in rooting for him as are a lot of other folks. He just needs the opportunity to get used to him. If David Martin isn't catching all his, maybe M3 will make a "Martin Switch." Which makes me wonder why they don't put the first initials on the Packer jerseys. You have to really know what you're looking at to know which Martin caught the ball.

Packnut
09-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Well he aint on pace for a very good season yet. How many TDs he got? I would prefer the Pack look "foolish" then be some 1.5 year wonders punk.

May-be you missed it, but Walker won the game for them. I'd say that's a little more important than scoring a td. He made the play when it counted and the pressure was on. Like i said, we'll come back andre-visit this subject 7 or 8 games from now and then we'll see who knew what they were talking about. Get ready to eat some crow my friend! :mrgreen:

Tony Oday
09-21-2006, 01:22 PM
I thought by the title of this thread Walker was bitching about his contract again...

MadtownPacker
09-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Funny, I didnt know walker kicked FGs now.

If he was so great why didnt he break it for the win?

I wont be eating anything cuz regardless of what he does on the field he is still is piece of crap traitor who dissed my team and that is what I go by.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2006, 01:56 PM
May-be you missed it, but Walker won the game for them.

LOL

They won the game 9-6 in overtime. I think their defense might have had something to do with the win.

FritzDontBlitz
09-21-2006, 04:14 PM

nope.

i won't miss walker's talent. donald driver is more than capable of putting up mightier numbers than javon will in this year or any other. besides that, javon chose to go to a team with a less talented qb than the one he refused to play with in green bay.

apparently everyone seems to be conveniently forgetting that last part. javon REFUSED TO PLAY IN GREEN BAY ANYMORE. its fascinating how everyone wants to blame tt or brett or whoever for that, but that's the choice javon made.

i wonder how long it will take the "would've, should've, could've" crowd to digest the truth of the matter: even if there were no trade walker would not be in a packer uniform right now.

Bretsky
09-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Don't want to go back here anymore, but just a reminder that Javon threatened to not play for Green Bay again. If you don't believe JW would have been back in green n gold at sometime during this season for Green Bay, I've got a bridge to sell ya. I can accept JW would have been a cancer and bad for Green Bay if you want to argue that; but if TT played hardball he would have played for us again. Whose to say what happens if that occurs.

JW wanted his payday and his respect. It's very legitimate to question how this was handled from both sides.

Walker, Driver, Jennings- That would be a WOW group.

B

MJZiggy
09-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Instead we have Driver Robinson, Jennings. Now all we need is to pay our ransom to the people who have so obviously kidnapped our Left Tackle and replaced him with a lookalike.

vince
09-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Don't want to go back here anymore, but just a reminder that Javon threatened to not play for Green Bay again. If you don't believe JW would have been back in green n gold at sometime during this season for Green Bay, I've got a bridge to sell ya. I can accept JW would have been a cancer and bad for Green Bay if you want to argue that; but if TT played hardball he would have played for us again. Whose to say what happens if that occurs.

JW wanted his payday and his respect. It's very legitimate to question how this was handled from both sides.

B
2 words for J-Walk.

Buh-Bye.

The tactics he used to disrespect Brett Favre, the franchise, and everyone else involved were absolutely ridiculous and completely uncalled for.

I'm not remembering all the draft day dealings, but I'm thinking that Jennings was drafted through the Walker trade. I'll take Jennings.

Packnut
09-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Funny, I didnt know walker kicked FGs now.

If he was so great why didnt he break it for the win?

I wont be eating anything cuz regardless of what he does on the field he is still is piece of crap traitor who dissed my team and that is what I go by.

Sure mad, and with millions of dollars at stake, you would have done it different. He never dissed your team, he made the best financial decision for himself which is what EVERY player in the NFL does. NFL players don't have loyalty. What dream world are you livin in?

mmmdk
09-21-2006, 08:05 PM

nope.

i won't miss walker's talent. donald driver is more than capable of putting up mightier numbers than javon will in this year or any other. besides that, javon chose to go to a team with a less talented qb than the one he refused to play with in green bay.

apparently everyone seems to be conveniently forgetting that last part. javon REFUSED TO PLAY IN GREEN BAY ANYMORE. its fascinating how everyone wants to blame tt or brett or whoever for that, but that's the choice javon made.

i wonder how long it will take the "would've, should've, could've" crowd to digest the truth of the matter: even if there were no trade walker would not be in a packer uniform right now.

I can't say that I disagree. Walker is gone, I'm fine with that. DD is a stud but Favre is still not completing enough passes 'cos guys ain't catching the ball. 6 major drops in week 2 and lots of dropped passes the last year or so. Anyone want to address that? And no, it's not a Q involving Walker as much as the current state of Packers receivers/TE and OL.

MJZiggy
09-21-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm hoping Robinson can catch...

Green Bud Packer
09-21-2006, 08:17 PM
walker has 8 catches this year. when he hits 100 tell me how great he is.til then he's an average one year wonder thank you brett favre.

Partial
09-21-2006, 08:29 PM
May-be you missed it, but Walker won the game for them.

LOL

They won the game 9-6 in overtime. I think their defense might have had something to do with the win.

He made the play when it mattered, though. He's gonna be good, he is just shaking off the rust. Unfortunately, that rust has negatively affected my fantasy team.

b bulldog
09-21-2006, 09:20 PM
very talented player, wish him all the best.

MJZiggy
09-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey, Bulldog, Al Harris said the very same thing!! :smile:

Scott Campbell
09-21-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm not nearly as gracious as Al Harris. I hope he sucks. But theirs a fair chance he won't.

MJZiggy
09-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Al had a mic in his face and a reporter trying to stir up dirt. We don't so we don't have to be gracious. That said, I have had the same thoughts. I hope he falls on his ass. Whether he does or not, a girl can hope.

Bretsky
09-21-2006, 09:49 PM

B
2 words for J-Walk.

Buh-Bye.

The tactics he used to disrespect Brett Favre, the franchise, and everyone else involved were absolutely ridiculous and completely uncalled for.

I'm not remembering all the draft day dealings, but I'm thinking that Jennings was drafted through the Walker trade. I'll take Jennings.

Pretty sure Colledge selection was from the Walker deal. I also think through some trade downs they received Blackmond and Jolly for him.

pbmax
09-21-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm glad its over and i don't wish him ill, ...

But if he plays in Green Bay, maybe Nick Collins can show him some concrete to land on.

Green Bud Packer
09-21-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm glad its over and i don't wish him ill, ...

show him some concrete to land on.yeah, i don't wish him well either

esoxx
09-21-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm not going to pretend JW isn't a good receiver b/c he is. What really sucks is how it took him a few years (like most receivers) to play up to his potential and now he's gone.

The talent drain that has left GB the last few years, e.g. Walker, Wahle, Rivera, Sharper, Longwell...is pretty telling. I'm not saying we could have kept all or some, just that it hurts big time to lose that type of talent and struggle with rookies and washed up vets trying to get by.

MadtownPacker
09-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Sure mad, and with millions of dollars at stake, you would have done it different. He never dissed your team, he made the best financial decision for himself which is what EVERY player in the NFL does. NFL players don't have loyalty. What dream world are you livin in?

It's Mad, not mad.

Saying he would rather retire then play for the Pack is plenty dissing.

You do KNOW that he is getting the same $$$ this season as if he would have stayed in GB right? Where if he was productive he would have been signed to a new deal by mid season most likely. Basically he is doing the same in denver, cuz from what I have read his big $$$ doesnt kick in until next season.

I live in a world where you have you word and you honor. Doesnt always work out but thats how Im living it.

The Leaper
09-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Walker has significantly more talent than anyone playing receiver in Green Bay. Thankfully, Driver's desire and heart more than make up for the difference on his part. However, Jennings is at least a year away from consistency...and past that we have guys with rap sheets and annual disappointments.

He made one nice play this past week. So did Jennings. So did Ferguson. Unfortunately for our guys, we have a defense that allowed the Saints to have way too many big plays in the passing game.

Getting rid of Walker was absolutely the right move this offseason. The bridges had been burned, and the situation was not going to get any better. No sense crying over spilled milk at this point.

Guiness
09-21-2006, 11:18 PM
I never really doubted JW would play well in Denver. Although he didn't play at a high level for a long period of time, it was obvious to me that he had put it all together.

So, I can't wish him well, because of how he left here, but I also can't say I'm surprised to see him playing well.

As far as the money - if he'd just kept his mouth shut, he would've gotten paid here. And probably sooner, as well. As Mad (with a capital M, right here in River City) pointed out, he's getting roughly the same money for this year as he would've in GB. He's essentially signed a contract that is a string of one year deals, much as TO did.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Thompson played hardball, refused to negotiate. Most of the fans said, "yeah"! Well, now he's on another team, that's the price.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Thompson played hardball, refused to negotiate.

I think the more appropriate term would be re-negotiate. Walker was already under contract. You make it sound like Thompson started the whole thing.