PDA

View Full Version : Clifton and Tauscher

pbmax
09-21-2006, 08:56 AM
In the offseason, all the ink and messages were about guards. But the tackles are struggling too.

Noticed first in the preseason by PackerRats (wist and ND72), the backside block on the DT or DE has not been executed well in this first year of the ZBS scheme. The Journal-Sentinel, always behind PackerRats, picked up on this problem this week.

Is it a matter of time for Cliffy and Tausch?

Clifton has never been a moster run blocker. And Tauscher (didn't Wolf compare him to the Pillsbury Dough Boy? Or was that Ferrario?) isn't the most athletic tackle in the game.

Will they adjust or will we be shopping for tackles in the offseason?

ahaha
09-21-2006, 09:23 AM
I think it's safe to say we'll be drafting at least one tackle, and maybe two, in next year's draft. Even if they struggle all year, it's possible they could have some trade value, especially Tausher.

GBRulz
09-21-2006, 10:20 AM
I think Clifton will continue to struggle. I dunno, just my gut feeling that there is more to his injury than we're led to believe.

Packnut
09-21-2006, 10:59 AM
His forte has always been pass blocking. This run scheme does'nt fit his talent so he will continue to struggle. One would hope Taush catches on or else our line will be to far gone to salvage in the for-see-able future.

FritzDontBlitz
09-21-2006, 04:22 PM
maybe m3 should wake up and realize that if your best two offensive linemen are struggling this bad then maybe it was a stupid idea to dive headfirst into the zbs instead of phasing it in over time. keeping some elements of the old blocking scheme would have been wiser, but somehow i get the impression that jags is too arrogant to admit that maybe he needed to hold onto some of shermy's ideas instead of shitcanning them all immediately.

MJZiggy
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
I think the reason they did that is because there is so much youth on the line that they don't want to teach all the new linemen the old way of doing things because the whole line has to work together. It sounds like it could be confusing if they have to learn both ways of doing it and then have to figure out which scheme they're using at the time, but really that's just a guess.

pbmax
09-21-2006, 09:44 PM
When O Coordinators come in, they rarely keep parts of the old system around. And that system had its problems last year as well. Its usually only with an established Head Coach in place, and maybe a QB that the new OC keeps the same offense.

My concern is that neither tackle will succeed in this system and will need short term replacements.

I hope Tauscher gets it, as even if Clifton adjusts and becomes a better run blocker, he might need phasing out due to injury concerns.

One tackle to replace would be bad enough.

Green Bud Packer
09-21-2006, 09:53 PM
i see colledge being given a shot at tackle this coming offseason.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 08:09 AM
i see colledge being given a shot at tackle this coming offseason.

I agree. Clifton is a has-been.

MJZiggy
09-22-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't know if I'd call him a has-been after two bad games, he might just be a slow learner...I could see him getting a bit of latitude, perhaps being replaced for some reps to see what happens. It is probably counterintuitive for him having played in a power gap scheme for so long.

Fritz
09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
I think it's a combination of problems for Clifton. First, he's never been a huge run blocker, and this scheme sounds, in some respects, more difficult in terms of executing the type of block required. Secondly, I think his injury situation is worse than what we've been told.